PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Looking at 6 Teams

Vinny
10-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Developers to test Chargers' interest in move to L.A.
By Matthew T. Hall
Union-Tribune Staff Writer
8:13 p.m. October 6, 2009

Background: Developers want to bring professional football back to the Los Angeles area with a privately financed $800 million stadium in Industry.

What's changing: They intend to approach half a dozen National Football League teams, including the San Diego Chargers, in February about relocating.

The future: The Chargers expect to be exploring options countywide come 2010, but after each season can pay a termination fee to leave San Diego.

The developers who want to bring professional football back to the Los Angeles area said Tuesday that they'll approach the San Diego Chargers and five other teams in February about moving as early as next season.

Majestic Realty Co. Vice President John Semcken III revealed his intentions at a breakfast gathering of the Orange County Business Industry Association in Costa Mesa. He made headlines more than a year ago with a pronouncement he had “no doubt” that a National Football League team would be playing in Los Angeles in 2009.

On Tuesday, Semcken hadn't lost any of his optimism.

He said the state Senate will help clear a last hurdle for an $800 million, 600-acre stadium project in the city of Industry by Oct. 15 – either via legislation, already passed by the Assembly, to bypass state environmental laws – or by negotiations Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg arranged last month.

“Come next week, our stadium will be approved,” Semcken said. “Then we'll be able to go out and buy a football team.” http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/06/bn06industry-offer-bolts/?chargers

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Oh god...not the Chargers:gun:. I'd rather have the Rams back in L.A. then the Chargers. I'm surprised though, I thought at most there were talks with three teams, definitely wasn't expecting six.

Anyone want to guess who these six teams are?

I think, most likely, they are the:

Chargers(duh)
Rams
Raiders
Vikings
Jaguars
Bills

Although I hope I am wrong about the Bills and Rams...for some strange reason though, I would love the Lions to come to L.A. (and yeah I know their owned by Ford :cool:).

4Texans
10-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I would like to see either the Rams come back to LA, or the Jags move. The other teams need to stay where they are.

El Tejano
10-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Adrian Peterson, and Brett Favre in L.A. = Big time media hype.

Blake
10-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Adrian Peterson, and Brett Favre in L.A. = Big time media hype.

I would assume that they are looking more long term than 2 players on a team.

beerlover
10-07-2009, 12:36 PM
http://sportsagentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/losangelesrams_plain.jpg

badboy
10-07-2009, 12:42 PM
I would be interested in seeing Broncos TV base compared to LA. Seems like a positive move to me but don't know about agreement team has with city.

Khari
10-07-2009, 12:44 PM
take the cowboyz please :pop:

Ryan
10-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Haha Los Angeles Cowboys. That's worse than the Tennessee Oilers or Utah Jazz.

gtexan02
10-07-2009, 01:16 PM
San Francisco cowboys would be the funniest :)

Utah Jazz is the stupidest name in all of sports

SheTexan
10-07-2009, 01:36 PM
This really makes me feel very sad! Screw the fans, from whatever city/state they decide to F over, just go out and BUY themselves a football team simply because it is LA! I understand the small market teams that are struggling, etc, BUT, it's just sad for the fans. BUT, when has the NFL really cared about the fans anyway! SCREW LA!!

gwallaia
10-07-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm with ya Sandy.

The only fan base I would not mind being screwed over would be the Titans. I hate the Titans and all of their fans!

imatexan
10-07-2009, 02:54 PM
This really makes me feel very sad! Screw the fans, from whatever city/state they decide to F over, just go out and BUY themselves a football team simply because it is LA! I understand the small market teams that are struggling, etc, BUT, it's just sad for the fans. BUT, when has the NFL really cared about the fans anyway! SCREW LA!!

LA needs a team, its the 2nd largest city in America.
I know many people get angry about this statement but many people also said this about Houston(being the 4th largest).

If these other small market team's fans dont show up to the games(Jags) then it only makes sense to move the team to a place that is wanting a team and has millions of people.
I dont understand why Minny would be on the list(I guess a stadium situation?)
I also hope that the Bills will stay in Buffalo, they have that cities support.

Txn_in_Oki
10-07-2009, 03:00 PM

I don't know about that...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/HokieHockeyBird.jpg

:thisbig:

I kid of course.

Dan B.
10-07-2009, 03:04 PM
I know many people get angry about this statement but many people also said this about Houston(being the 4th largest).

If these other small market team's fans dont show up to the games(Jags) then it only makes sense to move the team to a place that is wanting a team and has millions of people.

Neither is in one of the country's top 32 markets, (http://www.mediainfocenter.org/compare/top50/#pop)but Jacksonville is larger than Buffalo.

42 1,203 Jacksonville, FL
45 1,159 Buffalo-Niagra Falls, NY

Oddly, Buffalo has a larger TV market and Jacksonville a larger Radio (I guess more cars in Jacksonville?). One other major point is that Jacksonville is growing faster than Buffalo. I think Buffalo is actually shrinking. I do think that the Buffalo Bills' 50 year history has to be taken into account, and it will be sad when the Bills move. But I use the word "when" for a reason. I am pretty much certain the Bills will move. Buffalo is simply not large enough. There isn't enough corporate support, and the city is not able to afford to subsidize a new facility. I feel for the fans, though. I truly do.

Hervoyel
10-07-2009, 03:05 PM
The only team I'm interested in seeing in L.A. is the Rams. The Rams belong in Los Angelas just like the Cardinals should be in St. Louis and a host of other teams belong in their former digs.

That's just an opinion and I know it's not practical for most of the carpet bagging teams but the Rams have a legitimate shot at going back to L.A. and getting it right this time. I think that should happen. St. Louis should then get the Jaguars like they were supposed to back when the team was originally awarded.

Jacksonville goes back to watching the Dolphins, Buc's, or Falcons.

The Raiders stay right where they are and Al Davis dies alone in a dim room plotting an imaginary revenge against the NFL for taking "his" city from him.

infantrycak
10-07-2009, 03:06 PM

The problem with your position is it assumes the people of LA want a team and for the most part they do not. Something is going to have to be done about Jacksonville and maybe the solution is giving LA one last shot.

McClain actually had an astute statement this morning which was folks can keep talking about an LA team all they want but until there is a viable plan for a stadium on the boards it isn't happening.

The only team I'm interested in seeing in L.A. is the Rams. The Rams belong in Los Angelas just like the Cardinals should be in St. Louis and a host of other teams belong in their former digs.

That's just an opinion and I know it's not practical for most of the carpet bagging teams but the Rams have a legitimate shot at going back to L.A. and getting it right this time. I think that should happen. St. Louis should then get the Jaguars like they were supposed to back when the team was originally awarded.

Jacksonville goes back to watching the Dolphins, Buc's, or Falcons.

The Raiders stay right where they are and Al Davis dies alone in a dim room plotting an imaginary revenge against the NFL for taking "his" city from him.

Sounds like a plan. I have family in LA and you know they just aren't a football town, or aren't a loyal to their own town football fans. Back when the Rams were there they lost tons of fans to the Cowboys because they used to hold training camp out there every year. I don't think people appreciate how awkward traffic can be out there as well. Some of the places they are talking about putting a stadium are technically suburbs of LA but it might as well be like putting Texans' stadium in Austin.

FWIW - McClain says there is a condition on the St. Louis sales negotiations that the team has to stay there.

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 03:10 PM

At the bottom of it all, everyone is out to make money. I don't blame LA for wanting a team, or the NFL for wanting one there...its too big of a market to pass up. When thinking about it, I doubt the Rams will move back. If Limbaugh and the St. Lois Blue's owner are able to buy the team...I am almost certain they would stay there. Bills have been "linked" to moving to Canada a few times, but I doubt they would move as well. And your correct imatexan, Vikes want a new stadium from what I hear, but they have a large fanbase in Minny, and I would hate to see them move.

Dan B.
10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
The problem with your position is it assumes the people of LA want a team and for the most part they do not. Something is going to have to be done about Jacksonville and maybe the solution is giving LA one last shot.

McClain actually had an astute statement this morning which was folks can keep talking about an LA team all they want but until there is a viable plan for a stadium on the boards it isn't happening.

I swear I know it sounds conspiracy theorist but I think that the NFL will have a problem with this because the stadium in the original link is privately financed. I honestly believe that many of the owners will be leery of setting this precedent and that the vote could be very close for that reason.

Goldensilence
10-07-2009, 03:28 PM

I think my biggest problem with having a team in LA is based on the past they really haven't shown that they care about having a pro football team. How many teams have moved from LA? Raiders. Rams. Technically the Chargers were in LA for a year as well.

It's a Laker/USC town. They don't care about pro football.

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 03:30 PM

The thing is, there is.

http://www.theolympian.com/sports/story/982327.html

L.A. stadium clears obstacle

The city of Industry, Calif., has approved a settlement with neighboring city Walnut, which had opposed plans for an $800 million NFL stadium east of Los Angeles.

The deal approved unanimously by the Industry City Council grants the city of Walnut $9 million, an annual cash payment of up to $500,000 and other concessions.

Walnut council members, who had claimed in the city’s lawsuit that Industry approved the project without sufficiently reviewing its environmental impact, had voted 3 to 1 to approve the deal Tuesday.

The deal also requires developers to pay for noise monitoring around the stadium and prohibits loud events after 10 p.m.

Members of a Walnut citizens’ group that filed a separate lawsuit over the stadium said their talks with Industry and developer Majestic Realty Co. broke down with no settlement agreement.

No NFL team has agreed to move to the proposed stadium, about 15 miles east of L.A.

This was published September 25th I believe.

Also, I've posted this a few times before, but if you haven't seen it yet... http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

Cjeremy635
10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
San Francisco cowboys would be the funniest :)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc88/romeot_luv/GayCowboyNew5001.jpg

Maybe this could be on their jerseys?

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Well there are reports that the 49ers are moving to Santa Clara, but they are still keeping "San Francisco" in their name.

San Francisco Cowboys....wow, that would actually make me feel bad for their fans.:headhurts:

infantrycak
10-07-2009, 03:38 PM
The thing is, there is.

http://www.theolympian.com/sports/story/982327.html

This was published September 25th I believe.

Also, I've posted this a few times before, but if you haven't seen it yet... http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

I know there have been multiple proposals, websites, graphics of hypothetical re-builds, etc. I don't claim to know all the details by any means but he was saying there has been lots of that and not enough firm commitment with signed off on financing plans, getting all the EPA and architectural work done, etc. that would convince the other owners to pick one of the competing plans and put a team there. In all honesty McClain isn't my favorite reporter but on this kind of NFL wide issue he is usually pretty good.

San Francisco Cowboys....wow, that would actually make me feel bad for their fans.:headhurts:

Yeah, but it would make Halloween on Castro even more interesting.

Silver Oak
10-07-2009, 03:40 PM
got to be Jacksonville despite what their owner has said on record.

maybe we could take Denver into the AFC South then...geographically it would make sense.

WWJD
10-07-2009, 03:42 PM

maybe we could take Denver into the AFC South then...geographically it would make sense.

I think it'll be the Jags too.

Dan B.
10-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Wrt realignment I think the NFL will preserve rivalries above all else. They ain't ever gonna take Dallas from the NFC East for instance. I don't think they will ever remove Miami vs the Jets or Pats and put the Dolphins in a division with Jacksonville and Tennessee, no matter the geographic sense it makes. Similarly, Denver vs Oakland/KC are too longstanding for them to mess with IMO. There's not really a dramatic difference in travel considering it's only 16 games a season and the majority of your games are out of division anyway.

The easiest solution to me would be Jacksonville moves to LA and the Rams/Jags switch divisions (or both teams move and the Rams go back to LA). Hou/StL/Ind/Ten makes sense (Missouri isn't that far from Nashville or Indiana), and kind of makes the Texans the odd man out. Despite the AFC South designation, it's be more of an AFC MidWest IMO.

gtexan02
10-07-2009, 04:01 PM
No way, I'd love to be in the same division as an LA team. We'd finally get some national coverage, albeit through LA

Dan B.
10-07-2009, 04:04 PM
No way, I'd love to be in the same division as an LA team. We'd finally get some national coverage, albeit through LA

I have to admit I'd love more 3:00 starts.

GuerillaBlack
10-07-2009, 04:55 PM
^^Same here. Would love to be in he same division as an LA team.

You look at media markets with this, not city limits. LA is still the second largest market, but Houston drops to like the ninth largest market or so. I think even Atlanta has a larger TV market than us.

Wolf
10-07-2009, 05:05 PM
NFL wants L.A. and L.A. (as a whole) could give a rat's ass(so it seems)

speaking of rat's ass, bud would do well

kastofsna
10-07-2009, 05:12 PM

there's plenty of fans in LA that would love a team

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 05:14 PM
NFL wants L.A. and L.A. (as a whole) could give a rat's ass(so it seems)

speaking of rat's ass, bud would do well

I don't know how you can make an assumption that L.A. doesn't want a NFL team. I would bet the city of LA would love an NFL team for the revenue it would bring, they are in dire need of money. And for the people, well, L.A. is huge, and I would have to agree that a large minority could probably care less. However, with a stadium basically in place, the hype will build up soon enough and more people will be interested.

Also, the owners of the stadium want to try and bring 2 teams to L.A., wouldn't that be something?:doot:

Wolf
10-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I don't know how you can make an assumption that L.A. doesn't want a NFL team. I would bet the city of LA would love an NFL team for the revenue it would bring, they are in dire need of money. And for the people, well, L.A. is huge, and I would have to agree that a large minority could probably care less. However, with a stadium basically in place, the hype will build up soon enough and more people will be interested.

Also, the owners of the stadium want to try and bring 2 teams to L.A., wouldn't that be something?:doot:

To me it was businesses wanting it but fans, not so much.. my P.O.V. probably stems still from the whole L.A. and Houston vying for a franchise way back when and L.A. couldn't get their stuff together even though the N.F.L. gave them chance after chance and Houston got the Texans

like you said, not sure if the people care . .. businesswise Yes

infantrycak
10-07-2009, 05:21 PM

I think it is a large majority that doesn't care. Now hey compare that to Jacksonville and you may still have a larger potential buying audience, but from having regularly visited since about 1974 I just don't see it as anything other than a bandwagon city. Sure make the playoffs and folks will come but it won't be real loyalty. Plus the town even for NFL fans has divided loyalties - lots of folks from out of town who brought their home town team loyalty, lots of Raiders fans from their days there, lots of Cowboy fans from when they practiced in Anneheim and the Chargers fans from the years without a team. It may be a big market, but it is a tough market.

WWJD
10-07-2009, 05:38 PM
The Cowboys trained for many years in Thousand Oaks..going back to the Landry days.

The word at the time was it was the great weather there..I think Tex was from the LA area and recognized that perhaps there were fans to be had there.

And he was right.

Double Barrel
10-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Oddly, Buffalo has a larger TV market and Jacksonville a larger Radio (I guess more cars in Jacksonville?). One other major point is that Jacksonville is growing faster than Buffalo. I think Buffalo is actually shrinking. I do think that the Buffalo Bills' 50 year history has to be taken into account, and it will be sad when the Bills move. But I use the word "when" for a reason. I am pretty much certain the Bills will move. Buffalo is simply not large enough. There isn't enough corporate support, and the city is not able to afford to subsidize a new facility. I feel for the fans, though. I truly do.

My guess is that the Bills end up in Toronto at the end of the day. They are already setting the precedent this season, and it is only a matter of time before it happens. Maybe they will play a couple of games in Buffalo every year?

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I'm not saying it will be easy to attract fans, but in time they will come. Depending on the way they market it, this move will work fast and will be successful fairly quickly...or it will take a lot of time and a couple winning seasons to earn a solid fanbase. The way I see it, L.A. fans are tired of having a team that will move as soon as they are offered a better stadium/deal. They are cautious now, and chose to rather follow teams who have had a stable history at a certain location. This stadium is being built specifically for a NFL franchise, so I guess that will give reassurance to some that the team(s) that moves there, will be there to stay.

Just my .02 cents :tiphat:

infantrycak
10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I'm not saying it will be easy to attract fans, but in time they will come. Depending on the way they market it, this move will work fast and will be successful fairly quickly...or it will take a lot of time and a couple winning seasons to earn a solid fanbase. The way I see it, L.A. fans are tired of having a team that will move as soon as they are offered a better stadium/deal. They are cautious now, and chose to rather follow teams who have had a stable history at a certain location. This stadium is being built specifically for a NFL franchise, so I guess that will give reassurance to some that the team(s) that moves there, will be there to stay.

Just my .02 cents :tiphat:

Just noticed your age and don't take this the wrong way, but you lack perspective on the '70's and '80's. LA isn't cautious now because of having teams move. They suck as fans even when the Rams were a good team, etc. and so lost teams. It's easy weather to be a fan, there are plenty of people and yet multiple teams have tried it and none liked it. Seriously, Oakland beats out LA for a team? C'mon, that should tell you something right there. Oakland is the armpit of San Francisco. It is like some suburb (won't pick one so as not to offend anyone) of Houston getting a 2nd team on top of the Texans.

gwallaia
10-07-2009, 06:05 PM
My guess is that the Bills end up in Toronto at the end of the day. They are already setting the precedent this season, and it is only a matter of time before it happens. Maybe they will play a couple of games in Buffalo every year?

The Packers used to play a game or two every year in Milwaukee.

Dan B.
10-07-2009, 06:07 PM

Actually I think that would be pretty cool and about the best that could happen. I totally agree about Toronto and frankly think they'll be gone the season after Wilson passes.

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Just noticed your age and don't take this the wrong way, but you lack perspective on the '70's and '80's. LA isn't cautious now because of having teams move. They suck as fans even when the Rams were a good team, etc. and so lost teams. It's easy weather to be a fan, there are plenty of people and yet multiple teams have tried it and none liked it. Seriously, Oakland beats out LA for a team? C'mon, that should tell you something right there. Oakland is the armpit of San Francisco. It is like some suburb (won't pick one so as not to offend anyone) of Houston getting a 2nd team on top of the Texans.

Yeah your right, I cant say much for the '70s and '80s because I wasn't there. But I'm hoping this time around, they get things right. If they gave in to demands for a new stadium back then, the Raiders may have stayed in L.A. I doubt Al's pride would let him move out of the dump that is Oakland and go back to L.A., but you never know.

WWJD
10-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Nobody is moving without the owner's approval..

perhaps ESPN or NFL Network will pick one of their brains and see what they are thinking.

Might give this clueless fan a clue. I still think it's got to be the Jags.

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah, most likely it will be the Jags:brickwall:

WWJD
10-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah, most likely it will be the Jags:brickwall:

Don't the Jags make the most sense? Poor attendance year after year...so much so that is a running joke amongst rival fans.

I would think the poor attendance and blackouts there would be the very first thing the owners look at in terms of relocation.

You never know though...Al probably has alot of pull in the NFL even though fans wonder about his sanity. He may say hey I wanna move my Raiders and that could be that...

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah they do make the most sense. However, Al is Al, and Al gets what Al wants(at least when it comes to ruining his own team). The Oakland stadium is crap, so if the plans of building a new stadium in/near Oakland fall through, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him making the move(again).

IMO, the most likely teams to move are Jags, Raiders, Chargers...in that order.

*EDIT* Although I hope for Raiders, Jags, the other 29 teams, then Chargers :).

WWJD
10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah they do make the most sense. However, Al is Al, and Al gets what Al wants(at least when it comes to ruining his own team). The Oakland stadium is crap, so if the plans of building a new stadium in/near Oakland fall through, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him making the move(again).

IMO, the most likely teams to move are Jags, Raiders, Chargers...in that order.

*EDIT* Although I hope for Raiders, Jags, the other 29 teams, then Chargers :).

I'm kind of surprised to see that you want the Raiders to move..don't you go to their games? That would be hard for you if they moved to Southern CA wouldn't it?

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I did, stopped going a while ago. Plan on moving to L.A. within a few years though...planning for the future you see :cool:.

WWJD
10-07-2009, 09:35 PM
I did, stopped going a while ago. Plan on moving to L.A. within a few years though...planning for the future you see :cool:.

oh ok...well then let me ask you this..if you are seriously planning on moving to LA and they did move another team there besides the Raiders would that be your new team?

Or do you bleed Raider black and silver?

Hervoyel
10-07-2009, 10:22 PM

I think that would a mistake to do. To begin with I doubt it's possible. It might be a giant city but it's barely a one team town. Two teams didn't exactly thrive there before so trying it again wouldn't be smart.

On top of that I think that for these people to be talking about taking two teams away from two other cities is just wrong. Jacksonville is losing that team. It's only a matter of time. In every other case I can think of right now cities and teams that might be at odds or at a crossroads of sorts are also still able to be salvaged. Maybe Buffalo is in such bad shape that they can't keep their team past Wilson's death but everyone else is pretty much supported. It would take a economic/political breakdown to basically steal those fans team from them.

L.A. should get one and be happy they got that. If they get that.

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Hard to give a straight yes or no answer to that. I love the Raiders, even with all the faults with the organization(and yes, there are many). I grew up in a family that consisted of mostly 'niner fans; and I guess when I started really getting into football (around the age of 10-11), I wanted to stand out or be a "rebel" in other words, and that's the main reason I chose to follow the Raiders (guess I chose a good time to follow them as well, they were doing fairly well at that time).

Now after going through years and years of watching a dysfunctional team play, I still bleed silver and black...but not as much, if that makes any sense :mcnugget:.

Football is a business, a form of entertainment. Your a consumer, you have no legal obligations to follow any one team; yet most do. For the most part, I don't see myself as being any different, however, to stop myself from not watching football altogether(after years of watching the laughingstock of the NFL), I decided to follow other teams as well to get me through the season(mainly the Texans :heart:).

Now, if a team other then the Raiders moved to L.A., would I start following them? To be honest, yes. Would I still follow the Raiders? I believe I would.

Now the tougher question to answer, would the team that moved to L.A. be my new "#1 team"? I guess if the team was led by a good organization, had players that loved to play football(not saying they can't love the $$$ that comes with it); and also made me enjoy watching football again(at the stadium)...then yes, they would earn my business. I'll leave it at that ;).

Kulluminatii
10-07-2009, 10:27 PM
I think that would a mistake to do. To begin with I doubt it's possible. It might be a giant city but it's barely a one team town. Two teams didn't exactly thrive there before so trying it again wouldn't be smart.

On top of that I think that for these people to be talking about taking two teams away from two other cities is just wrong. Jacksonville is losing that team. It's only a matter of time. In every other case I can think of right now cities and teams that might be at odds or at a crossroads of sorts are also still able to be salvaged. Maybe Buffalo is in such bad shape that they can't keep their team past Wilson's death but everyone else is pretty much supported. It would take a economic/political breakdown to basically steal those fans team from them.

I agree, its also just a rumor, so I wouldn't think too much into it. If another team did want to move to L.A., I would figure they would only think of doing so once the Colesium is renovated(that is, if the team didn't want to share a stadium). And even if it is renovated sometime in the near future, I would believe a team thinking about moving would look at how the team that is in L.A. is doing...probably over a 3-5 year(if not more) period.

GuerillaBlack
10-08-2009, 01:06 AM

I don't think so. Oakland isn't really that small and is an anchor city in the Bay Area (population 7.4 million, so two million more people than Houston). But you're right, LA really is full of fair weather fans (for the NFL). My uncle actually said that people, when their young, pick the winning team at that time and usually stick with them. Makes sense to me.

imatexan
10-08-2009, 01:31 AM

I agree that LA does not need two NFL teams and should not have two NFL teams, but they should and could support one.

I think that LA has grown and become very different since when they last had a team.

LA does however support two baseball teams VERY well and still has two basketball teams(one which supports VERY well the other not so much because they always suck).

Tedc
10-08-2009, 06:03 AM
I am sure Butt Adams will make sure L.A. "remembers the Titans" in thier planning. The way they have started this year, attendance could be a big issue.

TEXANS84
10-08-2009, 07:47 AM

Kansas City would make more sense than Denver.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Should Raiders move to LA, name them California Raiders which makes a little more comfortable for fans in Oakland. I am sure 49ers and Chargers fans won't like this idea thogh.

infantrycak
10-08-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't think so. Oakland isn't really that small and is an anchor city in the Bay Area (population 7.4 million, so two million more people than Houston). But you're right, LA really is full of fair weather fans (for the NFL). My uncle actually said that people, when their young, pick the winning team at that time and usually stick with them. Makes sense to me.

I didn't say small, I said armpit. I lived in the area for 8 years. Oakland is an afterthought, a place where the distribution warehouses are put and where folks commute from not to. You ever hear a tourist say yah I am going to Oakland? No. So my comment was a backhanded compliment that they still have more interest in football than LA even though they aren't the sheik town LA is supposed to be.

GuerillaBlack
10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I didn't say small, I said armpit. I lived in the area for 8 years. Oakland is an afterthought, a place where the distribution warehouses are put and where folks commute from not to. You ever hear a tourist say yah I am going to Oakland? No. [B]So my comment was a backhanded compliment that they still have more interest in football than LA even though they aren't the sheik town LA is supposed to be.

And I agreed. Raiders fans rioted when the Raiders made it to the Super Bowl, and then rioted when they lost.

Hookem Horns
10-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I am sure Butt Adams will make sure L.A. "remembers the Titans" in thier planning. The way they have started this year, attendance could be a big issue.

Bud can't move for a long time. IIRC part of the deal for getting the stadium in Nashville was a guarantee that he couldn't move the team for 30 years.

gwallaia
10-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Bud can't move for a long time. IIRC part of the deal for getting the stadium in Nashville was a guarantee that he couldn't move the team for 30 years.

The Titans have been there 10 years? So in another 20 they could move. Bud will really be old by then.

TheDrifter
10-08-2009, 03:46 PM
The Titans have been there 10 years? So in another 20 they could move. Bud will really be old by then.

If Bud is still kicking around in 20 years Im calling vampire.

Hervoyel
10-08-2009, 03:49 PM
If Bud is still kicking around in 20 years Im calling vampire.

Why wait? Lets stake him now just to be sure.

Double Barrel
10-08-2009, 04:13 PM

The Dark Side is strong in him. Besides, when he does get thrown into the great reactor shaft in the sky, he'll just hand off control of the franchise to the next Sith lord and the evil shall continue.

feebleminded
10-08-2009, 04:51 PM
The Dark Side is strong in him. Besides, when he does get thrown into the great reactor shaft in the sky, he'll just hand off control of the franchise to the next Sith lord and the evil shall continue.

So what you are saying is that there is one of these hidden under the rug?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/ADVG/390~Mini-Me-Goldmember-Posters.jpg

TexanSam
10-08-2009, 05:05 PM

I wonder if they would still call it the American Football Conference if that were the case?

kastofsna
10-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I wonder if they would still call it the American Football Conference if that were the case?

Canada = North America

Dan B.
10-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Canada = North America

Canada has pictures of the Queen of England on their currency. Can we call it the "wish we were English" conference?

Speedy
10-08-2009, 10:42 PM

Well, by that logic, the Chargers are originally from LA.

And has anyone heard about the Jags possibly playing some home games in Orlando? Possibly as early as this year. I don't know if this has any legs or not as I've only heard about it briefly on the radio.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-08-2009, 10:49 PM
NBA and MLB got teams in Canada. Why not NFL team in Canada?

Dan B.
10-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Well, by that logic, the Chargers are originally from LA.

And has anyone heard about the Jags possibly playing some home games in Orlando? Possibly as early as this year. I don't know if this has any legs or not as I've only heard about it briefly on the radio.

I was wondering about Orlando. It's awfully close to the other two Florida teams though, and not exactly a massive market.

BTW the Rams are originally from Cleveland, the Cardinals are from Chicago, and the Bears should be the Decatur Staleys.

Hookem Horns
10-08-2009, 11:32 PM
The Dark Side is strong in him.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6479/buddarkside.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2009, 11:30 AM
http://sportsagentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/losangelesrams_plain.jpg

This is evidently behind Rush Limbaugh's bid to co-buy the Rams with Blue's owner..............to move the Rams back to L.A.

Hookem Horns
10-09-2009, 11:51 AM
This is evidently behind Rush Limbaugh's bid to co-buy the Rams with Blue's owner..............to move the Rams back to L.A.

That would be nice however I read somewhere that the NFL is making whomever buys them stay in St Louis.

Honestly, I don't know why the NFL would do that. They didn't give a rats ass about us. Besides the Rams were in LA first and belong there IMO. If they want to force someone to be in St Louis it should be the Cardinals.

Franchise relocation is a bitter subject with me.

Dan B.
10-09-2009, 02:44 PM
That would be nice however I read somewhere that the NFL is making whomever buys them stay in St Louis.

Honestly, I don't know why the NFL would do that. They didn't give a rats ass about us. Besides the Rams were in LA first and belong there IMO. If they want to force someone to be in St Louis it should be the Cardinals.

Franchise relocation is a bitter subject with me.

says the guy with the Dodgers avatar

Texan_Bill
10-09-2009, 03:13 PM

:spit:

Hookem Horns
10-09-2009, 03:22 PM

I was born in 1969 and never knew the Brooklyn Dodgers. However that was a good observation and a little humorous ..lol.