PDA

View Full Version : Browns Send WR Edwards to Jets

pbat488
10-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Per ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4538498)...

The Cleveland Browns traded Braylon Edwards to the New York Jets on Wednesday morning according to a league source, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported.

pbat488
10-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Lots of big name WR news in the past hour today.. wasn't this a supposed rumor before the start of the season?

Drew_Smoke
10-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Good for them. Sounds like Mangini is trying to get back at the Jets.

TimeKiller
10-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Doesn't matter where you go if you can't catch a ball as a WR.

pbat488
10-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Per fanhouse (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/07/browns-trade-braylon-edwards-to-jets/)...In a blockbuster trade, the Cleveland Browns have traded wide receiver Braylon Edwards to the New York Jets, signaling that the Browns are in serious rebuilding mode, that the Jets are serious about winning right now.

Adam Schefter of ESPN first reported the trade. It's not yet known what the Browns are getting as compensation for Edwards, who was the third pick in the 2005 NFL draft.

The NFL is investigating whether Edwards violated the league's personal conduct policy after he was accused of punching a friend of Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James. It's not clear whether the incident hastened Edwards' departure from Cleveland.

Edwards is one of the most talented receivers in the NFL, and in 2007 he had what was widely regarded as his breakout year, with 80 catches for 1,289 yards and 16 touchdowns. But his numbers plummeted in 2008, and he's done next to nothing in 2009, with just 10 catches for 139 yards this season.

HoustonFrog
10-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Kind of strange that this happened after the Crabtree signing. I mean was Crabtree a guy the Jets would target for next year and when that fell through they went after another big name?Afterall they had the tampering charges against them.

gwallaia
10-07-2009, 09:02 AM
What do the Browns get in return?

HoustonFrog
10-07-2009, 09:07 AM

Chanci Stuckey, a practice squad guy and picks to be named I believe

HOU-TEX
10-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I blame this dude for my fantasy team losses. He's done nothing but piss me off this year.

Vinny
10-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Edwards is built like a prototype WR and flashes ability here and there but plays like Cory Bradford way, way, way too often.

Texecutioner
10-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I think the Browns got a good deal on this. No one was going to offer that much for Edwards after last season and the beginning of this one.

If Edwards could get going again in NY like he did two years ago though, man that could make NY strong, but that's a big IF.

Cleveland got a few picks to continue to rebuild. Edwards was never going to be a great player for them again.

El Tejano
10-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Kind of strange that this happened after the Crabtree signing. I mean was Crabtree a guy the Jets would target for next year and when that fell through they went after another big name?Afterall they had the tampering charges against them.

This was the first thing I thought. Tampering charges on Jets for trying to get MC from San Fran. He signs with San Fran, and then all of a sudden the Jets make a trade to get WR Braylon Edwards. HHmmm!!

Jackie Chiles
10-07-2009, 11:45 AM
You guys are missing the big story here! What is going to happen when Lebron signs with the Knicks in 2010?(Thats a guarantee, the media said so) Braylon gets shipped somewhere else? Or could this drive Lebron away from NYC?:stirpot:

JDizzle
10-07-2009, 11:56 AM
I just dumped this bum off my fantasy team. Thank goodness I got a good set of running backs or I'd be winless so far.

Goldensilence
10-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Chanci Stuckey, a practice squad guy and picks to be named I believe

Stuckey, which is like trading WRs. One has better upside though.

LB Jason Trusnik

2 draft picks.

Have to wait to see what the two draft picks are. Judging by wanting players I would guess no higher then a 2nd rounder. What all did the Jets give up to make the move for Sanchez?

Browns will have a lot of picks next year. Will be interesting to see if Mangini drafts well with them.

Texecutioner
10-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Stuckey, which is like trading WRs. One has better upside though.

LB Jason Trusnik

2 draft picks.

Have to wait to see what the two draft picks are. Judging by wanting players I would guess no higher then a 2nd rounder. What all did the Jets give up to make the move for Sanchez?

Browns will have a lot of picks next year. Will be interesting to see if Mangini drafts well with them.

It's a 3rd and a 5th and the 3rd could turn into a 2nd rounder if Edwards hits certain incentive stats. DOn't know what they are actually, but I think this was a pretty good trade for the Browns.

BigBull17
10-07-2009, 01:00 PM
It's a 3rd and a 5th and the 3rd could turn into a 2nd rounder if Edwards hits certain incentive stats. DOn't know what they are actually, but I think this was a pretty good trade for the Browns.

Considering how poorly Edwards has played, great move. He needs to drop the 5 hour energy, it makes him drop passes.

hot pickle
10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
good target for sanchez i think.. braylon is a good WR... i just think he didnt want to be a brown anymore.. im sure he will turn it around in NY

Txn_in_Oki
10-07-2009, 02:52 PM

Tree-Fiddy and a sack full of door knobs.

I guess the J-E-T-S think he will look better dropping passes in green rather than brown.

ChrisG
10-07-2009, 04:45 PM
this trade screws one of my fantasy teams, now Stuckey has noone to throw to him

:foottap:

GuerillaBlack
10-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Edwards has been riding the bench for me all season anyway on my fantasy teams. He's only a bye-week replacement. Maybe he gets going in NY.

Second Honeymoon
10-07-2009, 06:35 PM

oh yeah, this doesn't look good for their tampering charges. as soon as crabtree is signed, you trade/sign for another questionmarked receiver.

very dubious at least. bottom line is that the Jets are loading up for now and the Browns are having to load up for the future and forget about now...

...to think that Jerry paid 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams and the Jets only give up a conditional 3rd Round selection a #3 WR and what a 5th Rounder? Braylon is a better football player than Roy and has much more upside, yet the Jets give up about 1/3 of what Jerry paid for Roy. Roy is just lazy. It just exudes from his skin and demeanor...always loafing, looking like he just woke up.

I think all Edwards needs is a change of scenery and an upgrade at QB. Sanchez could provide that upgrade for years to come. Both players are young and just 18 months ago everyone was talking about how Braylon was going to be. I am just glad Indianapolis, Tennessee and Jacksonville didn't get him. I would not like to see Edwards and Manning after a few years of Edwards learning how to be a real professional from Peyton. Wayne and Edwards would have sucked.

kastofsna
10-07-2009, 07:10 PM
not incredibly happy to see Edwards in the division. hope he keeps dogging it.

pbat488
10-07-2009, 08:46 PM
You guys are missing the big story here! What is going to happen when Lebron signs with the Knicks in 2010?(Thats a guarantee, the media said so) Braylon gets shipped somewhere else? Or could this drive Lebron away from NYC?:stirpot:

:spit:

texdawg
10-08-2009, 06:41 AM
Edwards has been a huge disapointment last year and this. He did not want to be in Cleveland and it showed in his play on the field. He has also been reported as a locker room cancer.

His contract was up at the end of the season. No way was he going to sign in Cleveland, nor was Cleveland going to franchise him. The Browns got what they could. Maybe a change of teams will help this primo punk grow up some.

Right or wrong, Mangini is getting rid of "me first" guys like BE and Winslow. Seeing as how the Browns are 0-4, who knows. At least draft day{s} will be interesting.

kastofsna
10-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Winslow is doing absolutely nothing in Tampa right now. no impact whatsoever. of course, the team could easily be the worst in the league.