PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Texans stats

TheRealJoker
10-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I'll start with the most interesting:

Texans rank 9th against the pass. And the reason for that is because we are 29th against the run. Which gives us the 25th ranked defense in yardage allowed. The Raiders helped us pad our stats haha.

Texans are at 16th in the league in offense at the quarter mark of the season. 9th in passing but 30th in rushing.

13th ranked offense in pts/game (23.5) and 21st ranked defense in pts/game (23).

CloakNNNdagger
10-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I'll start with the most interesting:

Texans rank 9th against the pass. And the reason for that is because we are 29th against the run. Which gives us the 25th ranked defense in yardage allowed. The Raiders helped us pad our stats haha.

Texans are at 16th in the league in offense at the quarter mark of the season. 9th in passing but 30th in rushing.

13th ranked offense in pts/game (23.5) and 21st ranked defense in pts/game (23).

Thank you, Raiders.

TheRealJoker
10-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Thank you, Raiders.

As much as the Raiders helped us out, we still rank higher against the pass than their other opponents: The Chargers, Chiefs and Broncos.

dalemurphy
10-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Thank you, Raiders.

There are lots of bad teams:
Oakland
Detroit
St. Louis
Cleveland
Seattle (with Seneca Wallace)
K.C.
Tampa Bay
Carolina

So, I don't think the Texans should apologize for beating the crap out of one of them. Most of the NFL has played at least one of these teams.

Jackie Chiles
10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Not related to the OP but another interesting stat I dug up:

"Another statistic, called "Stops," shows how active Davis and Williams, the two inside linebackers, have been. Every time a defender makes a play that holds an offense to less than 40 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third and fourth down, they are credited with a stop. Davis and Williams each have 21, tied for eighth in the league. Only two other teams -- the Houston Texans and Tennessee Titans -- have a pair of defenders in the 21-stop club. "

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=4535747

Its from a Football Outsiders article about the Denver defense's turnaround so there isn't anything else about the Texans. I am assuming the two players are Cushing and Ryans.

m5kwatts
10-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Not related to the OP but another interesting stat I dug up:

"Another statistic, called "Stops," shows how active Davis and Williams, the two inside linebackers, have been. Every time a defender makes a play that holds an offense to less than 40 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third and fourth down, they are credited with a stop. Davis and Williams each have 21, tied for eighth in the league. Only two other teams -- the Houston Texans and Tennessee Titans -- have a pair of defenders in the 21-stop club. "

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=4535747

Its from a Football Outsiders article about the Denver defense's turnaround so there isn't anything else about the Texans. I am assuming the two players are Cushing and Ryans.

Yahoo is calling them "Stuffs" and its Diles not Demeco, which actually doesn't surprise me Diles has been all over the place.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Defense&conference=NFL&year=season_2009&sort=101&timeframe=ToDate

Cushing has 4, tied for 3rd in the league...Diles has 3

Jackie Chiles
10-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Yahoo is calling them "Stuffs" and its Diles not Demeco, which actually doesn't surprise me Diles has been all over the place.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Defense&conference=NFL&year=season_2009&sort=101&timeframe=ToDate

They're basically sacks of running backs/fullbacks/receivers in the backfield from my understanding?... Cushing has 4, tied for 3rd in the league...Diles has 3

The FO stat is called "stops", you are mixing that up with tackles for a loss. Apparently two players on our team have at least 21 "stops." Diles could very well be on of our two, it is definitely between those three.

m5kwatts
10-06-2009, 09:09 PM
The FO stat is called "stops", you are mixing that up with tackles for a loss. Apparently two players on our team have at least 21 "stops." Diles could very well be on of our two, it is definitely between those three.

Yeah I caught my mistake and edited.... but Yahoo is tracking something called stuffs, is it the same thing?

Jackie Chiles
10-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Yeah I caught my mistake and edited.... but Yahoo is tracking something called stuffs, is it the same thing?

Different stats, I think as a team we probably have around as many stuffs/tackles for a loss as our top two guys have "stops." 21 each, according to ESPN we have 18 tackles for a loss as team. Both are useful stats though.

jppaul
10-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Here's what really cracks me up about that article from FBO, for those who want to *****:

To save people some time, please use the following format for all complaints: <team> is clearly ranked <too high/too low> because <reason unrelated to DVOA>. <subjective ranking system> is way better than this. <unrelated team-supporting or -denigrating comment, preferably with poor spelling and/or chat-acceptable spelling>