PDA

View Full Version : Can we score 40, or should we just mail it in?

thunderkyss
10-06-2009, 04:23 PM
I think we're going to have to score 40 points to beat the Cardinals. I know they only avg 19/game so far this year, but I'm still scared.

In my mind, Warner & Schaub are the same "type" of QB. Except he's better. He's got three 1000 yard receivers from last year, plus an electric check down guy, that are just drooling to get on the field against our secondary.

We'll be complaining next week, about Amobi & Mario not getting to the QB, but it will be because he can throw the ball to any receiver he wants at any time.

I'm not saying we can't win. I'll be rooting for the Texans every step of the way. But I think we'll have to score 40 points to do it.

What say you?

Double Barrel
10-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Can our offense play our defense? We might have a chance to score 40 if so. ;)

imatexan
10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
This seems to be a different team then last years Superbowl Cardinals.

Perhaps last year we would have had to score 30 something or 40 points but this year I think a good upper 20's or lower 30's will get the job done against a defense that has no big time play makers and is just not that great.

I think it will be a high scoring game but having to score 40 seems unreasonable.

Carr Bombed
10-06-2009, 04:30 PM
If we can't run the ball, we're going to lose... The best way to stop a explosive offensive (and the best way to take the home crowd out of the game) is by keeping their offense off the field and sustain long and time consuming drives.. Steve Slaton needs to put the pull-ups on and get it done this week.

m5kwatts
10-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Couple of things going for us in this game:

ARI still can't run the ball...

ARI is 30th in the league vs. the pass

ARI OT's have struggled all year and especially last game vs. IND

ARI WR's have not been on all year nor has the Cards passing game in general excluding their JAX game.

ARI's pass/run is about 70/30... stops the clock a lot, gives HOU plenty of opportunities on offense

SteveSlaton20
10-06-2009, 04:34 PM
it could happen, but it'll most likely a 30 points game for both team

with the cardinals winning.

but i'd love the texans to prove me wrong tho, that they can win against the cards.

76Texan
10-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Their offensive line is at most mediocre.
We can stop them some.
Maybe we only need to score 39 points! :brando:

HOU-TEX
10-06-2009, 04:42 PM
To be quite honest, I think our secondary's going to get burnt beyond recognition. I think we lose big, especially if we fall behind early.

But, that's why they play the games. I just don't want to get my hopes up on our defense after playing the worst QB and WR's in the NFL.

Double Barrel
10-06-2009, 04:44 PM

ARI WR's have not been on all year nor has the Cards passing game in general excluding their JAX game.

ARI's pass/run is about 70/30... stops the clock a lot, gives HOU plenty of opportunities on offense

Which is fine to look at, but it doesn't necessarily equate to much against the Texans. We are not the Colts or 49ers (Arizona's two losses), and we lost to the Jags (which our defense didn't do much against) who the Cards blew out with a 31-17 win.

I do not think our secondary is going to magically morph into being good, so Warner might end up having a field day if our defense (of 3 sacks total this season) can't get to him.

I think we have a chance, but our offense will need to capitalize when they've got the ball and limit stupid mistakes like turnovers and penalties.

thunderkyss
10-06-2009, 04:50 PM
To be quite honest, I think our secondary's going to get burnt beyond recognition. I think we lose big, especially if we fall behind early.

But, that's why they play the games. I just don't want to get my hopes up on our defense after playing the worst QB and WR's in the NFL.

I agree whole heartedly. I don't want any one to get their hopes up after we "shut down the Raiders".

We've still got the same problems we had two weeks ago

stevn8r
10-06-2009, 04:55 PM

That's what I was thinking....We have a GREAT shot this weekend!!!

Should be a lot of fun to watch...I am having my knee scoped on thursday so I will be laid up watching football all weekend!

Mr. White
10-06-2009, 04:56 PM
A Frank Bush defense is no match for a Ken Whisenhunt offense.

The question is USPS, UPS, or FedEx?

TheRealJoker
10-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Their defense has some good individual players just like our's except they are much more talented in the secondary.

They've got one of the best safeties in the NFL in Adrian Wilson, converted former 1st round pick Antrel Rolle at FS, and a good young CB in Rodgers-Cromartie. They've still got one of the best LBers in the league in Karlos Dansby and they've got what we want Okoye to become in Darnell Dockett at DT.

Hopefully Antonio Smith can give us some quality inside info on how to beat that defense. I think we can run on them which we will need to do in order to win this game because its gonna be tough to keep pace with Warner and co. if we get into a shootout on the road. We've gotta slow this game down with 10+ play drives and frustrate them.

Some big plays on special teams would certainly be helpful Sunday as well!!!

m5kwatts
10-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Which is fine to look at, but it doesn't necessarily equate to much against the Texans. We are not the Colts or 49ers (Arizona's two losses), and we lost to the Jags (which our defense didn't do much against) who the Cards blew out with a 31-17 win.

I do not think our secondary is going to magically morph into being good, so Warner might end up having a field day if our defense (of 3 sacks total this season) can't get to him.

I think we have a chance, but our offense will need to capitalize when they've got the ball and limit stupid mistakes like turnovers and penalties.

Sound logic. But is NFL football ever logical?

alphajoker
10-06-2009, 06:26 PM
I know this sounds cliche' but whichever team doesn't turn the ball over and takes advantage of their offensive possessions will be the team to win this game. Both these offenses have the capability to put points up fast and if an opportunity is missed via turnover, then thats one less drive to put up points.

Double Barrel
10-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Sound logic. But is NFL football ever logical?

lol! yeah, good point. I'd just as soon be completely wrong about things and they win the game by a blowout. I'd be fine with that. :tiphat:

DocBar
10-06-2009, 06:55 PM
There might be some NFL records set for total offense this weekend. Maybe the NFL will just play the whole game like a college overtime period.

nytexan
10-06-2009, 06:58 PM
This is one of those cliche games where you must win the turnover battle. I don't think either team can stop the other so by all accounts it should be a HIGH scoring game which means it'll end up 13-10

Drew_Smoke
10-06-2009, 07:05 PM
O/U is like 48 or so.

Hmm...can they each score 24 points?

brakos82
10-06-2009, 07:19 PM
O/U is like 48 or so.

Hmm...can they each score 24 points?

I think that's for each team. :spin:

Thorn
10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Strangely enough, I think we have a better chance against Arizona than we will against Cincinanti.

Fred
10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
If we need to score 40 points, we better have about 37 at halftime.

Offensive scoring in second half:
vs Jets: 0
vs Buds: 10
vs Jags: 3
vs Raiders: 0

Norg
10-06-2009, 07:31 PM
will reeves be rdy to go this week ?????

i have hope our D can hold the cards at bay BELEIVE GUYZ LOL

TimeKiller
10-06-2009, 08:26 PM
D has to stop the run cold because the air game of Arizona is deadly. We've spent a lot of resources on pass rushing and if we could pressure a very non-mobile Kurt Warner we could slip out of there with a W. I expect the O to have a field day, starting with Stevie "I" Wonder. Maybe not forty but 30ish should do if the D wasn't faking having a backbone last week...

Air Canada
10-06-2009, 08:48 PM
This is ridiculous guys...I don't think we have to score 40 to win this game. I unlike many of you actually think we have a good chance to win this game.

The Cards are struggling, the secondary is playing bad, Cromartie has been getting killed and may not even play against us due to injury... I think we are more than capable of exploiting their secondary and vice-versa. They don't run much and they have had more problems fumbling as well. Their run game has been even worst than ours and their O-line has been having problems protecting Warner. Obviously if we don't get any pressure we are in trouble if Warner can just stand in the pocket, but I really like Mario's match-up here and Antonio Smith should be motivated. That's gonna be the key for this game. The Cards are also coming off their bye week and teams tend to start a little slow coming out the gates...:fans:

gtexan02
10-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Because its two high powered offenses with minimal defensive ability going at it, I expect a low scoring slug-fest. Its the NFL

BigBull17
10-07-2009, 08:26 AM
There might be some NFL records set for total offense this weekend. Maybe the NFL will just play the whole game like a college overtime period.

Now that you've said that, you know it'll be 10-9.

GP
10-07-2009, 10:16 AM
This game won't turn out like you'd think it would have.

IMO, it's going to be a close game and come down to whoever doesn't make the "bigger mistake" with the ball.

If we throw a nickel defense out there and really play the pass on every down, forcing the Cards to run the ball, then it will drain the clock all game long. If I were d-coord, that's what I would do: Act like we're OU vs. Tech last year and just limit all passes to the shallow, underneath stuff so that we can pounce on them and make them put together long, extended drives that consume lots of clock.

Pollard would come up and almost act like a fourth linebacker for us, dropping back at the snap or running up to crack the running back if it's a run. You use your extra DB to compensate for Pollard creeping up into the box.

This is a game where the old bend-but-don't-break defense philosophy would be useful. If you keep the Cards from exploding and getting quick scores, you're halfway there.

BrandonLwowski
10-07-2009, 10:28 AM

I don't agree with you with the Cards blowing out the jags....that game was alot closer than the score shows...the jags had like 4 fumbles and an int i believe check this link

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092003/2009/REG2/cardinals@jaguars/analyze/box-score

the cards and jags were almost identical in stats...but jags lost cause they couldnt hold the ball

False Start
10-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I think the Texans will win. The perception of this game reminds me of the game vs. the Buds. No one thought the Texans had a chance, we went in there and played balls to the wall and won the game. :texflag:

eriadoc
10-07-2009, 10:39 AM
For one of the better offenses in the NFL (allegedly), the Texans sure don't go over 30 points too often.

Mr. White
10-07-2009, 10:40 AM
I think the Cards defense is getting overlooked here.

While they aren't elite, they are effective. Playing at home in a loud stadium is going to help their cause even more.

lostboy
10-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Texans by 7

Cushing leads in tackles
Barwin gets his first sack.
Wilson picks Warner.

Jacoby scores TD on return.

Defense and Special teams wins this one.
:fans:

badboy
10-07-2009, 10:49 AM
I think Texans win this game although I had them going 3-1 thru next four with Cards being the loss. Like the Titans game this should be a "statement" game. I am concerned about a quick score against us resulting from a TO that deflates the team as happened with Schaub's INT against Oakland. Our D should be psyched with LBs and Dline being very intimidating. This may bring a few flags against us but may help. I think AJ will demand a lot of attention allowing other WR and TE to step up. Walters should have great game. Look for DR to make one outstanding play that impacts the game.

Barwin will be a difference maker.

Double Barrel
10-07-2009, 12:31 PM
If we need to score 40 points, we better have about 37 at halftime.

Offensive scoring in second half:
vs Jets: 0
vs Buds: 10
vs Jags: 3
vs Raiders: 0

wow...that's just pathetic.

I don't agree with you with the Cards blowing out the jags....that game was alot closer than the score shows...the jags had like 4 fumbles and an int i believe check this link

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092003/2009/REG2/cardinals@jaguars/analyze/box-score

the cards and jags were almost identical in stats...but jags lost cause they couldnt hold the ball

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, because the Jags never had a lead the entire game. The Texans/Jags game changed leads during the game.

I just don't overlook the NFC champs because of record. They are better than the W/L column, IMO.

I think the Cards defense is getting overlooked here.

While they aren't elite, they are effective. Playing at home in a loud stadium is going to help their cause even more.

And considering how lousy we have been on the road the past three seasons (6-18), I do not share the confidence of my fellow Texans fans that the Cardinals are going to be easy pickings.

beerlover
10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
C'mon Bush has the D on a roll & Kubiak has Kyle running the ball. not going to say low scoring but close Texans scoring avg 23.5 & Arizona 19. combined should be around 40 but I would not bet the under/over.

Texecutioner
10-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I know this sounds cliche' but whichever team doesn't turn the ball over and takes advantage of their offensive possessions will be the team to win this game. Both these offenses have the capability to put points up fast and if an opportunity is missed via turnover, then thats one less drive to put up points.

That's probably the best way to describe who will win this game. I think we currently have a better offense than them, but they have a better defense than us. The Turn over margin will be huge in this one. We can't have the fumbles and the INT's. Like CB said as well, we've got to be able to run the freaking ball!

Hooston Texan
10-07-2009, 01:17 PM

You fell into the old misleading-boxscore trap, my friend. The same trap that had some people thinking that David Carr was really turning the corner because he was putting up big stats late in blowout losses. In a game like Arizona-Jacksonville, the end-game totals are less important than figuring out when the totals were compiled.

Arizona was up 31-3 late in the third quarter. By that point, they had outgained the Jags 338-175. By the time of that lead, the Jags had mounted only one drive of any consequences (plus one big run). The game was completely lopsided when the outcome was in doubt.

The Cards felt so secure that they lifted Warner for Matt Leinart while the game was still in the third quarter. After Arizona went up 31-3, the Jags outgained them 183-69. You can refer to the stats the Jags compiled in the fourth quarter of that game as "Carr-yards".

And, it wasn't turnovers. When the score was 31-3, each team had two. The Cards actually fumbled the ball 5 times that game, in comparison to Jacksonville's 4. True, a blocked-FG for a TD helped the Cardinals, but the only reason the Jags were setting up for a FG was because Arizona had just fumbled a punt.

Look at drive charts and play-by-play's, not just boxscores. The former don't lie but the latter can sure play tricks on you.

eriadoc
10-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Bush has the D on a roll

Really? A "roll" would imply some sort of trend, and the only trend we've seen is not good. So yeah, I guess that's on a roll .... a bad one.

Double Barrel
10-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Really? A "roll" would imply some sort of trend, and the only trend we've seen is not good. So yeah, I guess that's on a roll .... a bad one.

Is that akin to teaching a dog to roll over? Maybe Bush will have them begging for a treat and shaking hands this week. :ahhaha:

BrandonLwowski
10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
You fell into the old misleading-boxscore trap, my friend. The same trap that had some people thinking that David Carr was really turning the corner because he was putting up big stats late in blowout losses. In a game like Arizona-Jacksonville, the end-game totals are less important than figuring out when the totals were compiled.

Arizona was up 31-3 late in the third quarter. By that point, they had outgained the Jags 338-175. By the time of that lead, the Jags had mounted only one drive of any consequences (plus one big run). The game was completely lopsided when the outcome was in doubt.

The Cards felt so secure that they lifted Warner for Matt Leinart while the game was still in the third quarter. After Arizona went up 31-3, the Jags outgained them 183-69. You can refer to the stats the Jags compiled in the fourth quarter of that game as "Carr-yards".

And, it wasn't turnovers. When the score was 31-3, each team had two. The Cards actually fumbled the ball 5 times that game, in comparison to Jacksonville's 4. True, a blocked-FG for a TD helped the Cardinals, but the only reason the Jags were setting up for a FG was because Arizona had just fumbled a punt.

Look at drive charts and play-by-play's, not just boxscores. The former don't lie but the latter can sure play tricks on you.

ooooooooooo u burned me!!!! :chili: good call

BrandonLwowski
10-07-2009, 03:59 PM
on houstontexans.com only 9.2 percent of the people think we need to score more than 36 points to win...more than 60 say from 26-35 points to win...lets see what happens

Giant Tiger
10-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I think the Texans will win. The perception of this game reminds me of the game vs. the Buds. No one thought the Texans had a chance, we went in there and played balls to the wall and won the game. :texflag:

My thoughts as well. Just how good are the Cardinals? Are they a powerhouse or did they just get hot at the right time last year? :thinking: I'm really looking forward to this game.

DocBar
10-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Now that you've said that, you know it'll be 10-9. As long as we have the higher score, I'll take it.

C'mon Bush has the D on a roll & Kubiak has Kyle running the ball. not going to say low scoring but close Texans scoring avg 23.5 & Arizona 19. combined should be around 40 but I would not bet the under/over.
What exactly are you calling a roll? We had a good defensive showing against the absolute worst offense in the NFL. I feel that the defense is close to being a good one, but close doesn't count in the NFL and I'm not going to see a corner turned until I see consistency. If we hit and tackle like we did against Oakland, I think we win, but if we play like we did against the other 3 teams we've played, it's gonna be a long game.

Goldensilence
10-07-2009, 09:12 PM

:thud:

beerlover
10-07-2009, 10:53 PM
:thud:

guess your mailing it in then :bubbles:

Goldensilence
10-07-2009, 11:22 PM
guess your mailing it in then :bubbles:

No shocked. I'm wondering how you could consider this is a defense on a roll. Unless you meant to say roll over?

dalemurphy
10-07-2009, 11:31 PM
I just don't understand the pessimism. I get the frustration of the past 7 years. And, like many of you, I was hoping for a 3-1 start. However, We're 2-2 and our QB is healthy and playing well. Our offense as a whole is healthy and Slaton is starting to round into form. Defensively, we just played the best game of this team's 7 year history. It was a horrid start but we had a lot of new pieces playing in a new system. Dunta was rusty. Cushing missed the preseason. EWilson has missed 2 or 3 games. JReeves has missed the season. We just found a SS last week. Deljuan has been hurt. We've had a lot of new and moving parts trying to get this new defense up and running. It finally came together last week. This team has an excellent chance to win and go 3-2.

I totally understand the concerns we have of this team. I understand that the Raiders are an awful offense. But, can't you guys wait until after the game to start complaining about how many point we gave up? I mean, it hasn't even happened yet. Has 7 years of losing really beaten all the hope out of you? This team is right on the cusp of turning into something really good. Nobody knows whether it will happen or not but part of the fun is this moment right now. The nervousness, anxiousness, and hope that has been building up the past 2 seasons and it could be rewarded this Sunday!

I'll buy the first round of shots at 7:00pm Sunday evening if I'm wrong! Someone will have to drive me home though because I'm going to beat the hell out of my liver if we lose again!!

beerlover
10-08-2009, 02:50 AM
I just don't understand the pessimism. I get the frustration of the past 7 years. And, like many of you, I was hoping for a 3-1 start. However, We're 2-2 and our QB is healthy and playing well. Our offense as a whole is healthy and Slaton is starting to round into form. Defensively, we just played the best game of this team's 7 year history. It was a horrid start but we had a lot of new pieces playing in a new system. Dunta was rusty. Cushing missed the preseason. EWilson has missed 2 or 3 games. JReeves has missed the season. We just found a SS last week. Deljuan has been hurt. We've had a lot of new and moving parts trying to get this new defense up and running. It finally came together last week. This team has an excellent chance to win and go 3-2.

I totally understand the concerns we have of this team. I understand that the Raiders are an awful offense. But, can't you guys wait until after the game to start complaining about how many point we gave up? I mean, it hasn't even happened yet. Has 7 years of losing really beaten all the hope out of you? This team is right on the cusp of turning into something really good. Nobody knows whether it will happen or not but part of the fun is this moment right now. The nervousness, anxiousness, and hope that has been building up the past 2 seasons and it could be rewarded this Sunday!

I'll buy the first round of shots at 7:00pm Sunday evening if I'm wrong! Someone will have to drive me home though because I'm going to beat the hell out of my liver if we lose again!!

thats what I'm talking about :logo:

thunderkyss
10-08-2009, 05:03 AM
This is ridiculous guys...I don't think we have to score 40 to win this game. I unlike many of you actually think we have a good chance to win this game.

The Cards are struggling, the secondary is playing bad, Cromartie has been getting killed and may not even play against us due to injury... I think we are more than capable of exploiting their secondary and vice-versa. They don't run much and they have had more problems fumbling as well. Their run game has been even worst than ours and their O-line has been having problems protecting Warner. Obviously if we don't get any pressure we are in trouble if Warner can just stand in the pocket, but I really like Mario's match-up here and Antonio Smith should be motivated. That's gonna be the key for this game. The Cards are also coming off their bye week and teams tend to start a little slow coming out the gates...:fans:

Very good points.

9-7 isn't much different thatn 8-8.

But taking that, and getting to the SuperBowl, says more about the character of that team, than what is said about our team.... even behind closed doors.

Week 1, there were threads & posts of people expressing their fears, about how this team has performed in the past against rookie QBs. Sure enough, we lived up to those expectations.

I never made the connection with rookie QBs & our defense. For me, it's always been a matter of struggling offenses vs our defense.

Remember that old guy who set a record with 22 consecutive passes? He was playing on a Redskins team that was struggling.

There are many more, but I can't think of them right now. But this year alone, NYJ, Titans, & Jacksonville weren't known as offensive juggernauts........

the Raiders are the only team our defense has played better than, & I think it had more to do with the Raiders offense being inept, and not "struggling".

Arizona is struggling. & what they need right now, is a defense that makes them look good.

& that's exactly what we'll be bringing to Arizona.

Goldensilence
10-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Very good points.

But taking that, and getting to the SuperBowl, says more about the character of that team, than what is said about our team.... even behind closed doors.

Week 1, there were threads & posts of people expressing their fears, about how this team has performed in the past against rookie QBs. Sure enough, we lived up to those expectations.

I never made the connection with rookie QBs & our defense. For me, it's always been a matter of struggling offenses vs our defense.

Remember that old guy who set a record with 22 consecutive passes? He was playing on a Redskins team that was struggling.

There are many more, but I can't think of them right now. But this year alone, NYJ, Titans, & Jacksonville weren't known as offensive juggernauts........

the Raiders are the only team our defense has played better than, & I think it had more to do with the Raiders offense being inept, and not "struggling".

Arizona is struggling. & what they need right now, is a defense that makes them look good.

Joey Harrington in Atl? What was the backup's name in St Louis that one year?

Something no one is pointing out is that the Cards are coming off a bye week and have a shot at climbing back to .500. The rest of their schedule looks fairly tough with some games against St. Louis and Seattle sprinkled in. They're going to have to compete with San Fran to win the division. Way San Fran looks, they are messing around either. Going to be a race for the division or a wildcard spot for them. They've got the talent to push for both too.

I'm not mailing it in but, to be honest I'm kind of surprised the way people are reacting after beating the Raiders. Kind of sad that a struggling team needs a really bad team to feel better. I just hope this defense isn't a get well game for a potentially high powered offense.

dc_txtech
10-08-2009, 09:26 AM

Oy ve, that was Ryan Fitzpatrick I believe.

HOU-TEX
10-08-2009, 09:45 AM

I've said it before, but if the Raiders had a competent QB and WR's it would've been a different game. We still might've won, but not in a dominant fashion.

It's hard to be optimistic having a weak and pieced together secondary rolling into Arizona to face one of the most dominant aerial attacks in the league. Offensively we have yet to establish a consistent running attack that can keep our opponents offense off the field. Dockett will likely have a field day against our interior oline.

Texan_Bill
10-08-2009, 09:47 AM
I've said it before, but if the Raiders had a competent QB and WR's it would've been a different game. We still might've won, but not in a dominant fashion.

It's hard to be optimistic having a weak and pieced together secondary rolling into Arizona to face one of the most dominant aerial attacks in the league. Offensively we have yet to establish a consistent running attack that can keep our opponents offense off the field. Dockett will likely have a field day against our interior oline.

Dude!! We're ****ing rolling the Cardinals!!!!!!!!! :worm:

HOU-TEX
10-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Dude!! We're ****ing rolling the Cardinals!!!!!!!!! :worm:

I wish, bro. I'd pee in my pants if we came away with a dominating W. I just don't think we matched up very well with them.

infantrycak
10-08-2009, 09:51 AM

He was referring to Mark Brunell who went to the Redskins and set the record for straight completions against the Texans the week after HWWNBN tied the record for straight meaningless completions. OK I added the meaningless part to that stat.

Texan_Bill
10-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I wish, bro. I'd pee in my pants if we came away with a dominating W. I just don't think we matched up very well with them.

Put some Depends on, 'cause its happening!!! I have that same gut feeling that I had before the Tinnbred game.

Unlike the bad feeling I had before the Jet game.

TimeKiller
10-08-2009, 10:21 AM

They don't exactly matchup well with us either. Their D has no reputation as ballhawks or run stoppers. It'll most likely be a shootout and I like our D better than theirs so hopefully that means we'll get that one stop when we need it and eek out a close one.

Trail.Blazr
10-08-2009, 10:22 AM
We CAN score 40! I'm hoping we'll only need to score in the 20's though. This should be another career day for OD.

I just don't understand the pessimism.

I think it's easier to understand the pessimism than it is the optimism. I get what you say.. look ahead, the picture doesn't seem as desperate as some would make it feel, but who's not been doing that for 7 years?

I also don't think pessimism should be confused with realism... Aside from the Raiders(who 99% of us probably agree to dismiss as an NFL caliber team) there has been nothing to show in the other 3 games that would dowse the fires of skeptical critics.

I personally am willing to look at the glass as both half full and half empty. The half full side says that this is the best collection of talent we've fielded so far and I see signs and levels of intensity that makes me believe that if they start playing as a TEAM of professionals, their talent will surprise a lot of skeptics.
:goodbad:
The half empty side says I've heard similar sentiment for 7 years and after 4 weeks see nothing to indicate it wont be 8 years. Seeing signs does not translate to seeing results. The sentiment is that you take away 4 or 5 mistakes/big plays by the defense and we look a lot better.. FACT - Good teams don't make those mistakes.

As we roll on from the Oakland game and back into the real NFL, it seems very reasonable for the skeptics to wonder how many points it will take to keep up with the Cards, who made their way to the superbowl off the pass, which doesn't stack up well to our weakness on D.

IF you don't understand it, I'd say you choose to ignore reality, which is the right of any fan. But for those who do.. they earned that right. To dismiss that right is unfair.

If we can't hang our hat on futility, we got nothing.

Oh.. btw... :d: :d: :gotexans1

eriadoc
10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Very good points.

We were exactly one player (hell, probably one play) away from 9-7 last year.

Trail.Blazr
10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
We were exactly one player (hell, probably one play) away from 9-7 last year.

Rosencopter???

Goldensilence
10-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Very good points.

He was referring to Mark Brunell who went to the Redskins and set the record for straight completions against the Texans the week after HWWNBN tied the record for straight meaningless completions. OK I added the meaningless part to that stat.

Thanks Cak. But I was mentioning more situations where a a struggling offense suddenly (maybe even for just one game) found its groove against this defense (at least in the past).

The realist in me can't see how anyone can like the matchup of their WR corps and our secondary.

Hardcore Texan
10-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Because its two high powered offenses with minimal defensive ability going at it, I expect a low scoring slug-fest. Its the NFL

Exactly what I am thinking.

badboy
10-08-2009, 11:56 AM
We were exactly one player (hell, probably one play) away from 9-7 last year.I am only one chromosome away from being good looking!

Double Barrel
10-08-2009, 12:25 PM

Brunell set the record first at Reliant with a win over the Texans 31-15 (09/14/06).

HWWNBN tied the record a few weeks later at Reliant in a loss to the Bills 24-21 (11/19/2006). Source (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2668519)

HWWNBN completions were indeed meaningless, FWIW. Just another in a long list of useless stats that roll around him my head as a Texans fan.

Runner
10-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Optimism/pessimism/reality.

I can see reasons for some optimism for the offensive side of the ball to maintain last year's production. That's tempered by Slaton's early season struggles and Andre's disappearances after the first half of some games, IMO. I don't see any reason for optimism to the point of expecting a 9-3 run to end the season at 11-5 and in the playoffs. The defense is too bad for that.

Pessimism in my mind is fear of a plummet to a 2-14 or 4-12 type season. I don't see any reason for that either. The team isn't consistently that bad.

I think realism is something hovering around 8-8 again this year. The Texans have beaten teams with a combined record of 1-7 and lost to teams with a combined record of 5-3. This is like last year, when playoff hopes were trumpeted after a string of victories over weak teams. I think a view of expecting a 9-7 or 7-9 is misconstrued as pessimism.

The best predictor of the future is the past. Hopes for a favorite team have little to do with it, especially when that team has the same traits, tendencies, and weaknesses as they've had in the recent past.

==========

As far as the Arizona game? I predict a fun to watch offensive shootout and give the Texans a slight edge to win. Say 60/40.

infantrycak
10-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Brunell set the record first at Reliant with a win over the Texans 31-15 (09/14/06).

HWWNBN tied the record a few weeks later at Reliant in a loss to the Bills 24-21 (11/19/2006). Source (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2668519)

HWWNBN completions were indeed meaningless, FWIW. Just another in a long list of useless stats that roll around him my head as a Texans fan.

I thought I was doing pretty well after having tried to purge that period from my mind. Kudos.

DerekLee1
10-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Arizona now is not the Arizona from the Super Bowl. They're 25th in the league in scoring, averaging 19 points a game and Warner can't seem to get the ball to Fitz OR Boldin. AJ and Owen both rank well above Fitz, who sits at 44th in the league in yards right now to lead the Cardinals. Arizona last year was not a great team; they just got hot in the playoffs. This is not just a game we COULD win. It's a game we SHOULD win. Indy racked up 31 on them; we should be able to hang at least 28. Our secondary may stink, but we also haven't given up any huge passing scores either. Arizona is terrible in the red zone because they can't run the ball and they can't get the ball to their receivers when they can't stretch the field.

I expect a victory, and it shouldn't even be within a touchdown.

Double Barrel
10-08-2009, 02:47 PM
I thought I was doing pretty well after having tried to purge that period from my mind. Kudos.

I wish I could purge 7 seasons of sucktastic football. I think the only thing that will fade those memories is rooting for a consistently successful football team that calls Houston home. Maybe next year, yeah?

Texecutioner
10-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Arizona now is not the Arizona from the Super Bowl. They're 25th in the league in scoring, averaging 19 points a game and Warner can't seem to get the ball to Fitz OR Boldin. AJ and Owen both rank well above Fitz, who sits at 44th in the league in yards right now to lead the Cardinals. Arizona last year was not a great team; they just got hot in the playoffs. This is not just a game we COULD win. It's a game we SHOULD win. Indy racked up 31 on them; we should be able to hang at least 28. Our secondary may stink, but we also haven't given up any huge passing scores either. Arizona is terrible in the red zone because they can't run the ball and they can't get the ball to their receivers when they can't stretch the field.

I expect a victory, and it shouldn't even be within a touchdown.

Is this serious? Do you honestly think that Arizona fans and that team doesn't feel the same way about facing a team that has probably the worst defense in the league right now? You think Fitzgerald is really a 44th type of guy because of a slow start? The Cards offense is about to get rolling this week against the Texans defense. Our secondary was abused by the Raiders WR's last week. Russell just couldn't do anything with it.

This game is a push right now. The Texans and the Cards seem like very similar teams right now.

Thorn
10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Is this serious? Do you honestly think that Arizona fans and that team doesn't feel the same way about facing a team that has probably the worst defense in the league right now? You think Fitzgerald is really a 44th type of guy because of a slow start? The Cards offense is about to get rolling this week against the Texans defense. Our secondary was abused by the Raiders WR's last week. Russell just couldn't do anything with it.

This game is a push right now. The Texans and the Cards seem like very similar teams right now.

I agree with you. Whichever team gets their defense to show up this Sunday wins. Both teams have offenses that can score.

DerekLee1
10-08-2009, 02:57 PM

I'll take AJ, Walter, and OD with Slaton and Brown over Fitz, Boldin, and Spach with Hightower and Wells. Our performance against the Raiders last week and the return of Jacques Reeves - and knowing what kind of offense they're about to face - should inspire our defense to overachieve.

In the end, it's a shootout. But I think our defense outplays their defense. Make all the jokes you want, but there is NO WAY our defense is as poor as they played in the first 3 games.

HOU-TEX
10-08-2009, 03:01 PM
I'll take AJ, Walter, and OD with Slaton and Brown over Fitz, Boldin, and Spach with Hightower and Wells. Our performance against the Raiders last week and the return of Jacques Reeves - and knowing what kind of offense they're about to face - should inspire our defense to overachieve.

In the end, it's a shootout. But I think our defense outplays their defense. Make all the jokes you want, but there is NO WAY our defense is as poor as they played in the first 3 games.

Possibly, but have we seen enough to conclude they aren't? I don't think so.

Air Canada
10-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Very good points.

Okay folks...all this stuff about our history and we are gonna get blown out this week....U guys may not realize, but we are playing almost the same team as ourselves in a bunch of ways...Lemme ask this, did anyone have the Cards makin the SB much less the playoffs going into last season?...NO, not really...Not even most of their own fans..What many don't see is the way our fans feel...IS EXACTLY HOW CARDS FANS FELT OVER THE YEARS! U know, "THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!"

U know all the inconsistency and things we all mention about us...dissapointments...losing games we shouldn't...

That's been the Cards...they are just as likely to dissappoint their own fans Sunday.:polevault:

GOING INTO LAST SEASON they had very similar feelings about their team...THE WHOLE SEASON MOSTLY...They lucked into the playoffs, got hot and made a run to the SB!

thunderkyss
10-08-2009, 09:48 PM
I wish, bro. I'd pee in my pants if we came away with a dominating W.

IF our defense can help Arizona to continue to struggle offensively, that would be saying something.

Can we all agree on that?

IF we our defense makes Arizona work for their points, can we say that we're turning the corner?

I'm not talking about a moral victory here either, but in my mind, if we stop Fitz from going off, and not "luck" into he & Warner not being in Sync......

If we keep Hightower & Duckett in check for 4 Qtrs... then I think that will be saying something.

Same thing offensively. I know there aren't many of us "concerned" about the offense.... but we need to control the clock, and put pressure on their offense, by getting a lead, and continuing to push that lead for four qtrs.

If we can do that against the cards.... then I believe some optimism is due.

thunderkyss
10-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Arizona is averaging 19 points a game now. 274 passing yards & 60 rushing yards.

I think it's absolutely, positively possible that we can win this game. But I think all those numbers will go up after Sunday. & we're going to have to score a lot of points to win.

I don't think it's right, or fair to expect the offense to score over 30 points to win a game. But, that's where we are.

JMO.