PDA

View Full Version : New Texans fan

Rock Slamdance
10-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey guys. I am a brand new Texans fan. let me explain why:

Foe my entire life I have been a devout Dallas Cowboys fan. I have been with them for the ups and downs, from the last days of Tom landry, through Dave Camp and right up to this past weekends loss to Denver. I still do and always will love the Cowboys. My main issue is with their owner, who I think may just be the anti-christ.

I have very loosely watched the Texans the last year or two. Living in Austin, they are on TV alot, so I've seen enough of them to like their coach, they way they play and how they are putting together a solid young football team.

Just so you know I am not a bandwagon fan, i will still follow my Cowboys, but i have this urge to get to know and love the Texans as well!

DocBar
10-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Welcome to the boards and to the Texans. You might want to change your avatar. There are not many posters here who will appreciate it, myself among them.

badboy
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM

Foe my entire life I have been a devout Dallas Cowboys fan. I have been with them for the ups and downs, from the last days of Tom landry, through Dave Camp and right up to this past weekends loss to Denver. I still do and always will love the Cowboys. My main issue is with their owner, who I think may just be the anti-christ.

I have very loosely watched the Texans the last year or two. Living in Austin, they are on TV alot, so I've seen enough of them to like their coach, they way they play and how they are putting together a solid young football team.

Just so you know I am not a bandwagon fan, i will still follow my Cowboys, but i have this urge to get to know and love the Texans as well!Glad you are here. Do not be bashful throw your opinion in everywhere. Steve

Mr. White
10-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Welcome to the board.

False Start
10-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Welcome, and stray away from the darkside. :shades:

Texan_Bill
10-06-2009, 01:13 PM
:bat: to the avatar.

Welcome aboard.

Rock Slamdance
10-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the welcomes guys!

And I am working on the avatar as we speak! :)

Spike
10-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Misery loves company...welcome.

will742
10-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Welcome aboard!

Rock Slamdance
10-06-2009, 01:21 PM
avatar fixed...my feelings as a Cowboy fan.

Vinny
10-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Just so you know I am not a bandwagon fan, i will still follow my Cowboys, but i have this urge to get to know and love the Texans as well!

we have more of you hybrid types in our fan base, so you aren't alone. You can cry on Houston Frog's shoulders if the guys are being mean to the 'boys. He's probably got good advice also, he slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

TEXANS84
10-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Just so you know I am not a bandwagon fan, i will still follow my Cowboys

Unacceptable.

MannyFresh
10-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I can totally relate, I was a Cowboy fan until 89' when they did what they did to Landry...I literally burned all my Cowboy gear and broke down when I saw Landry break down. Followed the Oilers some until "Fud Adams" took em to the land of 'Deliverance'.
But now I'm a Texan for life! Welcome!

Rock Slamdance
10-06-2009, 01:29 PM
we have more of you hybrid types in our fan base, so you aren't alone. You can cry on Houston Frog's shoulders if the guys are being mean to the 'boys. He's probably got good advice also, he slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

Don't worry, I will trash the Boys more than anyone!

Also, i do know that Jacques Reeves sucks, so I've got that going for me.

Texan JBZ
10-06-2009, 01:30 PM

Don't forget about StarStruck! Welcome abroad.

Rock Slamdance
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Unacceptable.

sorry. Just could't bail on Witten, Ratliff and Ware. The rest of em, I could care less :)

infantrycak
10-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Also, i do know that Jacques Reeves sucks, so I've got that going for me.

Welcome to the MB. Former Cowboy fan myself - still root for them if they aren't playing the Texans.

I can't wait for Reeves to get back on the field.

MannyFresh
10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Welcome to the MB. Former Cowboy fan myself - still root for them if they aren't playing the Texans.

We'll see. He seems to be always getting boo-boos..

HTown2ATX
10-06-2009, 01:40 PM
My main issue is with their owner, who I think may just be the anti-christ.

Hey, just wondering, did you do a "drive by" yesterday on 1530 on Jeff and Chad's show? There was a caller who called and said they were bailing on the 'Boys cause he thougt Jerra was the anti-christ. Had me laughing and was just wondering.

The only time I root for cowboys is when they play the Possum Squallor Hootinanies from Bumblescum Mountain (otherwise known as the titans). Truly, with all my being, I hate them! And no, not just because they are the former Houston team.

At some point you must purge yourself of the cowboys, especially if you think Jerra is the anti-christ!

:goodluck:

HOU-TEX
10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Unacceptable.

Signed,

Cubs fan

Co-signed,

Jazz fan

:spit: JK

Texan_Bill
10-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Signed,

Cubs fan

Co-signed,

Jazz fan

Signed,

Married to Bears fan.

valleytexfan
10-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Welcome! Get ready for some stress though. :tiphat:

Rock Slamdance
10-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey, just wondering, did you do a "drive by" yesterday on 1530 on Jeff and Chad's show? There was a caller who called and said they were bailing on the 'Boys cause he thougt Jerra was the anti-christ. Had me laughing and was just wondering.

The only time I root for cowboys is when they play the Possum Squallor Hootinanies from Bumblescum Mountain (otherwise known as the titans). Truly, with all my being, I hate them! And no, not just because they are the former Houston team.

At some point you must purge yourself of the cowboys, especially if you think Jerra is the anti-christ!

:goodluck:

Ha ha, not me but I like his style.

I could never fully give up on the Boys, just because I know eventully Jerruh The Football Genius will be gone, but he drives me crazy.

He hires bumbling fools for coaches, does wingstop and Papa Johns commercials, and for some reason is the face of the franchise.

There seems to be alot of reasons to go for Houston. I like Kubiak, and they have some outstanding young players: Johnson, Daniels, Winston, Cushing, Williams, ect ect.

Going back to Jacque Reeves for a sec, I will always hold a small hatred for him for his performance against the Giants a few years back. gave up the game losing touchdown :(

False Start
10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I never pull for the Girls. When Houston didn't have a team, and they showed all the Girls games, whoever they played was my favorite team. I still do that to this day, if they show a Girls game I watch and pull whoever they're playing. A Cowboys loss is almost as good as a Texans win.......almost!

HTown2ATX
10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Going back to Jacque Reeves for a sec, I will always hold a small hatred for him for his performance against the Giants a few years back. gave up the game losing touchdown :(

Yeah, but, didn't Romo play horrible in that game essentially setting up the team to even be in that posistion? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought that whole situation brought about the loss overall which brings me to my thought that Romo is only a shell of a superstar QB. He smiles, jokes, relaxes and parties like one, but he has zero skins on the wall. I can't understand how he (up until this season it seems) has been always given a pass on his inconsistencies. Personally, I would rather take Schaub and his made of glass body (apparently) knowing that when he is healthy he and AJ will light it up as they have done so far this year as opposed to Romo who just runs and chucks the ball in the air. Just my POV on it anyway.

Ckw
10-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Welcome to the boards and to the Texans. You might want to change your avatar. There are not many posters here who will appreciate it, myself among them.

So what was the original avatar?

Welcome to the board "New Texans fan"! Hold on for the ride. It's going to be a bumpy one...

Rock Slamdance
10-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah, but, didn't Romo play horrible in that game essentially setting up the team to even be in that posistion? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought that whole situation brought about the loss overall which brings me to my thought that Romo is only a shell of a superstar QB. He smiles, jokes, relaxes and parties like one, but he has zero skins on the wall. I can't understand how he (up until this season it seems) has been always given a pass on his inconsistencies. Personally, I would rather take Schaub and his made of glass body (apparently) knowing that when he is healthy he and AJ will light it up as they have done so far this year as opposed to Romo who just runs and chucks the ball in the air. Just my POV on it anyway.

I am certainly not one to defend Romo, but he actually played quite well in the Giants playoff loss. The image everyone remembers is him getting picked off in the endzone, but that was on the last play of the game on essentially a hail mary. The big issues we had in that game that led to the loss was Reevs getting burned a few times and having a couple of PI calls, and some sloppy special teams plays.

Rock Slamdance
10-06-2009, 02:12 PM
So what was the original avatar?

Welcome to the board "New Texans fan"! Hold on for the ride. It's going to be a bumpy one...

It was a Cowboys logo :)

Texan Asylum
10-06-2009, 02:43 PM

Wow...I knew there was something hiding in a closet with you...:foottap:lol

Just kidding Cak! :)

Welcome aboard Rock!

swisher
10-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm a former Cowboys fan myself, although it's been over twenty years now since I could call myself that. I moved to Houston the same off-season Jerry Jones bought the team and fired Landry so it was an easy break. I became a die-hard Oilers fan and then the Texans.

Since 1983...the earliest I can remember having an interest in football...the teams I've rooted for (Cowboys 83-88, Oilers 89-96, Texans 02-present) have won one playoff game - the Oilers beat the Jets in 1991. And the crazy thing is is that the loss to the Broncos the next week has erased any memory I may of had of that game...I'm not even sure if I saw it, even though I know doubt I would have missed it.

One playoff win in over twenty five years of being a football fan...why do I invest so much emotion into this again?

Thorn
10-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Welcome to the board Rock Slamdance. I won't go into my eternal hatred of the Cowgirls in your welcome thread. But just expect a lot of Cowgirls hatred on this board.

Here’s a hint, if someone starts getting on you about you being Cowturd fan just drop a line about how the Tennessee Inbreds suck and you can masterfully move the conversation in another direction. :)

TEXANS84
10-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Signed,

Cubs fan

Co-signed,

Jazz fan

Texans
Cubs
Jazz

What are the three recipies for a early age heart attack?

SheTexan
10-06-2009, 06:07 PM
You've come to the right place Rock! Hookum Horns (Kevin) has provided us with a fantastic board to vent all our emotions, both good and bad, about any team we choose to vent about! lol The Texan's, Cowgirls, and Tenn meatballs, appear to be favorite targets! I use to grip because there was so much "Cowboy" talk on a Texan MB, but, I just let it roll now. A lot of passionate football fans here, and very knowledgeable!! You're in good hands!!

SO, WELCOME aboard, from one of the GALS on the board! Don't mess with us, we're here to stay!!! :shetexan:

BTW: Khari has provided us with the best SMILIE selection on any MB in the NFL. Have fun!!:zipit:

Norg
10-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the BULL PIN !!!!!!!!

axman40
10-06-2009, 08:35 PM

Welcome to the party pal!
:fans:

Brando
10-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the board!:gamer:

Vinny
10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the BULL PIN !!!!!!!!

:hmmm:

Showtime100
10-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the board, Rock. This year in Austin having all the games on tv has been sort of a new thing. When VY the sausage king went to the Titans Austin suddenly forgot what state they were in and we weren't getting games on the tube.

I say this because this problem could recur at a moment's notice so keep your eye out for the Austin watch parties thread. There is a thread around here somewhere and it will resurface in a hurry if need be.

Again, welcome! :fans:

Blazin' Toro
10-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Welcome to the boards! Beware of the bandwagoner fans!

Hookem Horns
10-06-2009, 10:25 PM

I loved him for that!

Signed,

Giants fan also ;)

gwallaia
10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Can you people not see this person is a spy?

m5kwatts
10-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Texans
Cubs
Jazz

What are the three recipies for a early age heart attack?

Probably the Texans are all the heart attack you'll need

The Cubs and Jazz are more of a recipe for runny squirty diarrhea

Rock Slamdance
10-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Thanks for all the friendly welcomes guys! I'm glad to be here. getting familier with the rest of the roster right now!

whiskeyrbl
10-07-2009, 04:39 AM
Welcome to our friendly confines.:cowboy1:

HTown2ATX
10-07-2009, 05:50 AM
When VY the sausage king went to the Titans Austin suddenly forgot what state they were in and we weren't getting games on the tube.

I say this because this problem could recur at a moment's notice so keep your eye out for the Austin watch parties thread. There is a thread around here somewhere and it will resurface in a hurry if need be.

Again, welcome! :fans:

O GOD!!!! The reminder of this just made me dry heave right now at 5:45a.m.!!! At any moment Fisher up in Bumblescum Mountain could pull the trigger on VY for the Possum Squallor Hootinanies at 0-4 and I bet the dumbass KEYE crew would'nt hesitate for a split second to switch next Sundays Texans game over to the Hootinanies game if we even get down by a field goal. Hasn't Colt McCoy been doing well enough to placate the masses here in Austin. For the love of God, I really hope that Colt either wins the Heisman and/or the crystal football and then goes to an NFC team (Fox broadcast) on draft day as well as VY finally being cut from Bumblescum Mountain and going to an NFC team. And no, a Texans fan that lives 200 miles from Houston here in Austin should NOT need to get Sunday Ticket to watch the team 200 miles away instead of the team 2,000 miles away in the smokies. Some less than intelligent person tried to come at me with that once! Seriously?!?!

BigWig
10-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Welcome fellow Austinite!
A little advise is to follow A B C
root for Anybody But the Cowboys!:spin:

DBCooper
10-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Welcome.

There are a few of us on here that understand that an all-Texas Super Bowl is the Holy Grail of all football games.

The rest are just haters.

Rock Slamdance
10-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Welcome.

There are a few of us on here that understand that an all-Texas Super Bowl is the Holy Grail of all football games.

The rest are just haters.

That would be the best thing ever. Remember getting close back in 93 I think (when the Bills had their comeback against the Oilers).

Not happening this year, what with Dallas being awful again.

But maybe the Texans can get there! again, probably not...but a boy can dream, right?

LonerATO
10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
That would be the best thing ever. Remember getting close back in 93 I think (when the Bills had their comeback against the Oilers).

Not happening this year, what with Dallas being awful again.

But maybe the Texans can get there! again, probably not...but a boy can dream, right?

You can never bring that game with the Bills up again

SAMURAITEXAN
10-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Welcome!

Go Texans!!!

keyser
10-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Welcome. I'm not one of the most regular posters, but there are some of us here who are also Cowboys fans. Be warned, though, that there are plenty of people here who hate the Cowboys, so it's not the place to really talk about them much (except the occasional thread like this...).

For me, I was a lifelong Cowboys fan, but I could not stand to stick with the team while TO was on there - that was too much of a betrayal to the team for me to take. So, I started following the Texans, and now that TO is gone from the Cowboys (and I'm once again a fan), I find myself sticking with the Texans as my "primary" team.

You'll see some significant differences in following the teams. A few I can think of:

Bob McNair/Rick Smith are far less visible than Jerry.
Character matters much more on the Texans than it did on the Cowboys. That could always change, but you won't generally find the Texans drafting or signing people with character problems, the way that Jerry was doing.
Houston does not have the nationwide fan base (and nationwide dislike) that Dallas has, and so you'll find that it's a lot less visible. This has an effect both in the way the players are perceived and act (character factors in here, also), and in how easy it is to find news about them.
On another note, though, the Texans fans as a whole seem a lot less demanding than Dallas fans. I don't mean this as a slight - it's just that history has made Dallas fans "expect" to win the Super Bowl (regardless of how realistic that is), while Houston fans are more in the "hoping to make the playoffs" mode.
You'll have to get used to a different set of rivalries. Teams I can't stand (Redskins, Eagles, etc.) seem to get along just fine with the Texans, while the Titans are, I think, universally hated here.

You'll also find that this board is a great place for football discussion, with what feels like a really good signal/noise ratio compared to the Cowboys boards I used to follow. Glad to have you here.