PDA

View Full Version : Limbaugh could be a partial owner of the Rams

axman40
10-05-2009, 06:21 PM
In 2003, Rush Limbaugh had a brief dalliance with the sport he loves, spending a month as the "voice of the fan" on ESPN's pregame show before resigning after a delayed reaction (http://espn.go.com/gen/news/2003/1001/1628537.html) to comments made regarding Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb triggered a firestorm.

Since then, the mega-rich Rush's name has bubbled up from time to time as a potential owner of all or part of an NFL team.

And it could be coming to fruition.

Charley Casserly of CBS reports that, of the three groups that submitted bids to buy the St. Louis Rams, one group includes Dave Checketts and Limbaugh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/04/limbaugh-could-be-a-parial-owner-of-the-rams/
Buy low sell high
:specnatz:

texanhead08
10-05-2009, 10:48 PM
The train wreck that is the rams is the only place this would make sense. Its crazy to have a known racist as a NFL owner.

Marcus
10-05-2009, 11:57 PM
This thread should be moved to the No Spin Zone. I could have some fun.

Dan B.
10-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Good for him. I wouldn't begrudge him an NFL team at all. Whether or not you like his political views he's obviously a huge football fan and this is surely a lifelong dream of his (maybe not the Rams specifically, but you get the point). He spins hard for his gazillions and he can spend it how he wants. It's always nice to see a team go to someone that has roots in their hometown. Hopefully he can keep the Rams there, but it would be pretty ironic if he buys em and carpetbags to La La Land to chill with the Hollywood celebs. Limbaugh owning an NFL team in LA is a reality show waiting to happen.

Texecutioner
10-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Good for him. I wouldn't begrudge him an NFL team at all. Whether or not you like his political views he's obviously a huge football fan and this is surely a lifelong dream of his (maybe not the Rams specifically, but you get the point). He spins hard for his gazillions and he can spend it how he wants. It's always nice to see a team go to someone that has roots in their hometown. Hopefully he can keep the Rams there, but it would be pretty ironic if he buys em and carpetbags to La La Land to chill with the Hollywood celebs. Limbaugh owning an NFL team in LA is a reality show waiting to happen.

Great post Dan, and the end is pretty funny. Yeah, that would be pretty funny to see Ruch owning a team in LA. Lol!

TimeKiller
10-06-2009, 07:41 AM
I wonder if they drug test the owners.....

Goldensilence
10-06-2009, 11:05 AM
So I guess after football season is through and reporters start to do their annual speculate about McNabb's future in Philly we can definitely count St. Louis out as a possible suitor if this is true.

Vinny
10-06-2009, 11:14 AM
do the dittoheads now wear ram horns instead of bullhorns?

Goldensilence
10-13-2009, 06:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfl-limbaugh&prov=ap&type=lgns

Rush is down one vote already officially. Doesn't look like Blank will be on board either.

steelbtexan
10-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Blank of the Mike Vick is like a son to me.

Arthur Blank is a closed minded entrepenuer who took advantage of ATL's demographics to subsidize his Home Depot (which sucks by the way and their stock has fallen like a jumper off the golden gate bridge) fortune.

Blank didn't treat Vick like a son when the .... got deep.

I dont care if Limbaugh gets the team or not but Blank isn't credible. IMO

If Limbaugh gets the Rams I bet they will be a sucessful team both at the gates and on the field within 4 yrs.

Unlike McNair, Limbaugh is a fan of the NFL and will do what it takes to put a winning team on the field ASAP.

Goldensilence
10-13-2009, 07:07 PM

Arthur Blank is a closed minded entrepenuer who took advantage of ATL's demographics to subsidize his Home Depot (which sucks by the way and their stock has fallen like a jumper off the golden gate bridge) fortune.

If Limbaugh gets the Rams I bet they will be a sucessful team both at the gates and on the field within 4 yrs.

Unlike McNair, Limbaugh is a fan of the NFL and will do what it takes to put a winning team on the field ASAP.

I think Blank did the best he could in the Mike Vick situation. He was really in a no win situation and well...Vick was stupid enough to do it. What was Blank supposed to do? Hey Mikey come back and play for me? He obviously did the right thing to let Vick go and drafted the right QB to play.

You know that Rush would be part of a minority owning GROUP right? I don't believe he'd get a whole lot of say in running the ream.

ObsiWan
10-13-2009, 08:23 PM

Yes he did. When his "son" repeatedly lied to Blank's face and played him for a fool, Blank finally cut bait and let his "son" get what was coming to him. I would have too.

axman40
10-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Rush Limbaugh is expected to be dropped from a group bidding to buy the St. Louis Rams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=stl), according to three NFL sources.
Dave Checketts, chairman of the NHL's St. Louis Blues and the point man in the Limbaugh group attempting to buy the Rams, realizes he must remove the controversial conservative radio host from his potential role as a minority member in the group in order to get approval from other NFL owners, the sources said.
Three-quarters of the league's 32 owners would have to approve any sale to Limbaugh and his group. Earlier this week, Indianapolis Colts (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ind) owner Jim Irsay predicted that Limbaugh's potential bid would be met by significant opposition. Several players have also voiced their displeasure with Limbaugh's potential ownership position, and NFL Players Association head DeMaurice Smith, who is black, urged players to speak out against Limbaugh's bid.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4559454
:tiphat:

MojoMan
10-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Rush Limbaugh is expected to be dropped from a group bidding to buy the St. Louis Rams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=stl), according to three NFL sources.
Dave Checketts, chairman of the NHL's St. Louis Blues and the point man in the Limbaugh group attempting to buy the Rams, realizes he must remove the controversial conservative radio host from his potential role as a minority member in the group in order to get approval from other NFL owners, the sources said.
Three-quarters of the league's 32 owners would have to approve any sale to Limbaugh and his group. Earlier this week, Indianapolis Colts (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ind) owner Jim Irsay predicted that Limbaugh's potential bid would be met by significant opposition. Several players have also voiced their displeasure with Limbaugh's potential ownership position, and NFL Players Association head DeMaurice Smith, who is black, urged players to speak out against Limbaugh's bid.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4559454
:tiphat:

Well then, any outspoken liberals should be rejected for this going forward as well.

Fair is fair.

Vinny
10-14-2009, 04:03 PM

yeah, but you can bet he isn't desirous of a black quarterback.

Buffi2
10-14-2009, 04:13 PM
yeah, but you can bet he isn't desirous of a black quarterback.

Or a black any position, for that matter.

HTown2ATX
10-15-2009, 01:59 PM
I try to keep out of politics in general now a days. Too much BS being thrown out by both sides.

However, what happened to the old I disagree with what you have to say but will fight to the death your right to say it mentality? Add to that the fact that Al Sharpton, Sheila Jackson and Jesse Jackson are even taken seriously by some while at the same time slamming Rush is puzzling to me??

He would have been in a group, not sole owner, and I have yet to see citations for some of the quotes that have been attributed to Rush. In fact, I do believe that he has filed a slander suit for these supposed quotes. Personally I don't care one way or the other if he got in or not. But to ban someone for their beliefs goes against the foundation of this country I thought? I just hope this stays level if someone like Luis Farakhan (spelling?) or Quanell X (again, spelling?) tried to buy a team.

I'm white, but am colorblind to race. One of my ex girlfriends (actually friends with benefits) is hispanic, one a while back was black. I guess I'm so out of todays mainstream because I don't give a flip about race and don't judge by it.

axman40
10-15-2009, 02:59 PM
It's worth remembering that the first team owner to speak out against the prospect of Limbaugh becoming a team owner was the Indianapolis Colts' Jim Irsay -- a generous donor (http://trueslant.com/level/2009/10/14/meet-the-bush-cheney-donor-who-blocked-rush-limbaughs-bid-to-buy-the-st-louis-rams-jim-irsay-colts-indianapolis-republican/) to the Republican National Committee and Bush/Cheney. He's not exactly a liberal activist committed to political correctness and conservative dream killing.

The NFL is an exclusive club and they reserve the right not to let just anyone in their club.
:)

Dread-Head
10-15-2009, 03:18 PM
If he's got the money vugg it. Let him buy a team...