PDA

View Full Version : Texans looking at Chris Henry (RB)

wags
10-05-2009, 03:41 PM
From kffl.com

Texans | C. Henry expected to visit this week
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:13:16 -0700

Adam Caplan, reporting for Scout.com, reports free-agent RB Chris J. Henry (Titans) is expected to visit the Houston Texans later this week.

JWarren14
10-05-2009, 03:46 PM
I saw that as well, not sure, but it's worth giving people a few looks.

Moats looked good on his touches on Sunday it was against the Raiders, but I am glad to see him get carries and do well.

TheRealJoker
10-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Is he still practice squad eligible? I dont see him as an upgrade over any of the RBs currently on the roster but the team might be looking at him as this week's practice squad mimic back.

Thorn
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Don't we already have an RB named Chris from the Titans? Let's give this guy the flu and send him back. LOL

El Tejano
10-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't know man, the kid has some skills. If anything he has alot of speed. Aside from Slaton we don't got a guy like that.

Much like the situation at safety when Pollard was brought in. I'm happy to see that the staff is looking to upgrade what isn't working right now. Who would've thought our running game wouldn't be at least operable right now.

badboy
10-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Power Back, Power Back, Power Back.

Mr. White
10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
I saw that on PFT. He's going to stop at Washington first, and they're worse off than we are at RB. I expect that he'll sign there.

Physically, he's just what we need.

hot pickle
10-05-2009, 04:30 PM
wow i totally forgot about this guy... i would be excited to see him in a texans uni

Carr Bombed
10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
The guy is a total bust... and he isn't a power back. He's another looks like Tarzan runs like Jane kinda guy. A faster, but softer Jonathan Wells.

jppaul
10-05-2009, 06:54 PM
All the tangibles none of the skills. Another "all-airport" player.

CloakNNNdagger
10-05-2009, 07:50 PM
The judge once referred to him as "the one man crime wave." Now, if he could have earned that nickname on the field..........................

Texecutioner
10-05-2009, 07:54 PM
The judge once referred to him as "the one man crime wave." Now, if he could have earned that nickname on the field..........................

He's talking about the RB, not the WR.

BSofA04
10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
The guy is a total bust... and he isn't a power back. He's another looks like Tarzan runs like Jane kinda guy. A faster, but softer Jonathan Wells.

Yes. If you're on the "Sign Chris Henry because he gives us a power back" bandwagon, you clearly have not seen him play in person. He sucked in college, he sucked with the Titans, he'll still suck tomorrow. Titans went beyond stupid to pick this gym-rat in the second round. Got to hand it to Chris Henry, he made a lot more money than he should have by posting stupid numbers at the combine. Only one team was dumb enough to ignore his actual field stats. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

V3rm0nt3r
10-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Yes. If you're on the "Sign Chris Henry because he gives us a power back" bandwagon, you clearly have not seen him play in person. He sucked in college, he sucked with the Titans, he'll still suck tomorrow. Titans went beyond stupid to pick this gym-rat in the second round. Got to hand it to Chris Henry, he made a lot more money than he should have by posting stupid numbers at the combine. Only one team was dumb enough to ignore his actual field stats. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

there were more than one teams looking at him. i'm sure that Al Davis was looking for him at his next pick and other's would've gambled on him. high risk high reward player. the Titans have done it twice in the last few years. hit huge on one, missed huge on the other.

blitz90
10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Didn't this dude have weed problems?

Carr Bombed
10-05-2009, 09:56 PM
the Titans have done it twice in the last few years. hit huge on one, missed huge on the other.

Not really comparable.

One back was actually highly productive in college........the other wasn't even a blip on the radar.

Chris Johnson backed up his college productivity with a amazing combine........Chris Henry was nothing, but a workout warrior who didn't do crap in college.

Vinny
10-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Straight line runner with no ability to make people miss and isn't a run 'em over kinda of back.

ArlingtonTexan
10-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Straight line runner with no ability to make people miss and isn't a run 'em over kinda of back.

A runner like that can get by in the zone system when the OL is blocking it well. just need to read and go. Of course, Henry did not look like he had any natural instincts to read holes in the times hat i saw him play in pre-seasons.

infantrycak
10-05-2009, 11:53 PM
A runner like that can get by in the zone system when the OL is blocking it well. just need to read and go. Of course, Henry did not look like he had any natural instincts to read holes in the times hat i saw him play in pre-seasons.

That is exactly the thing. Need the instinct for the first cut and a 1-3 step burst. Man I wish we could have seen DD run behind an Alex Gibbs coached line.

Dan B.
10-06-2009, 12:47 AM
I saw that as well, not sure, but it's worth giving people a few looks.

Moats looked good on his touches on Sunday it was against the Raiders, but I am glad to see him get carries and do well.

Moats has turf toe (http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Ryan_Moats/567945) and is day to day. I suspect Brown'll be fine. The swine flu really isn't all that debilitating and you should certainly be over it (though maybe not 100%) after a week.

What about Foster? Can we activate him for a game or two? Or does that screw his PS eligibility up? I plead ignorance on Practice Squad callup rules.

DBCooper
10-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Can he hang onto the football?

badboy
10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
The guy is a total bust... and he isn't a power back. He's another looks like Tarzan runs like Jane kinda guy. A faster, but softer Jonathan Wells.Sorry to be misleading. I want a power back and he does not qualify.

Vinny
10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
What about Foster? Can we activate him for a game or two? Or does that screw his PS eligibility up? I plead ignorance on Practice Squad callup rules.some eligibility stuff...
Signing Practice Squad Players
# Under the current NFL Practice Squad Rules, any player who is under contract on a scout team is free to sign a player contract with any team in the league, without compensation to the franchise whose practice squad he is a member of. However, the signing must be completed at least six days before the signing team's next game (10 days in the case of a bye week).

Practice Squad Eligibility
# According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year, nor can players be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same team's squad unless that team's active roster never dips below 53 players.

El Tejano
10-06-2009, 01:38 PM
So did we sign this dude yet?

badboy
10-06-2009, 02:14 PM
So did we sign this dude yet?Kubes was asked about him on his afternoon program yesterday and he was unaware of anything. Said he'd make a call when he could but had been very busy. WIth Slaton and Moats why is he needed?

bckey
10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
His former coach is on the redskins which is his 1st stop so he will most likely sign there.

texanfan2002114
10-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Texans sign Henry!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6654890.html

The Texans are going to sign former Tennessee running back Chris Henry to their practice squad. Henry, a second-round pick in 2007, was waived by the Titans last week.
The Texans had been looking for a veteran running back for the practice squad to replace Anthony Alridge, the former UH back who was signed away from them by Washington last week. Arian Foster, an undrafted rookie running back from Tennessee, is also on the practice squad.
In other moves, the Texans placed linebacker Khary Campbell on injured reserve. He suffered a knee injury against Oakland. They moved rookie defensive end Tim Jamison to the active roster.
The Texans waived tight end/deep snapper Clark Harris from the practice squad and will replace him with linebacker Thomas Williams.

Rock Slamdance
10-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Texans sign Henry!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6654890.html

The Texans are going to sign former Tennessee running back Chris Henry to their practice squad. Henry, a second-round pick in 2007, was waived by the Titans last week.
The Texans had been looking for a veteran running back for the practice squad to replace Anthony Alridge, the former UH back who was signed away from them by Washington last week. Arian Foster, an undrafted rookie running back from Tennessee, is also on the practice squad.
In other moves, the Texans placed linebacker Khary Campbell on injured reserve. He suffered a knee injury against Oakland. They moved rookie defensive end Tim Jamison to the active roster.
The Texans waived tight end/deep snapper Clark Harris from the practice squad and will replace him with linebacker Thomas Williams.

Decent project. Scouts were high on him coming out, so maybe he will turn it on. never know, and this is has low risk high reward possibilty.

HOU-TEX
10-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Hmm, are they just using him for info? If not, it doesn't say much for Foster

Carr Bombed
10-06-2009, 03:20 PM
splash :rolleyes:

Jackie Chiles
10-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Kubes was asked about him on his afternoon program yesterday and he was unaware of anything. Said he'd make a call when he could but had been very busy. WIth Slaton and Moats why is he needed?

It is interesting that Gary didn't really have any idea about this less than a day before it goes down. I guess I always assumed he and Rick both had a say but it appears Rick has a bit more freedom than that. Not making an argument that 1 way is better or anything but this does offer a bit of insight into our front office workings. The fact that it is a minor acquisition could skew things though as i'm sure Gary has more input on the major additions/subtractions.

Carr Bombed
10-06-2009, 03:51 PM
It is interesting that Gary didn't really have any idea about this less than a day before it goes down. I guess I always assumed he and Rick both had a say but it appears Rick has a bit more freedom than that. Not making an argument that 1 way is better or anything but this does offer a bit of insight into our front office workings. The fact that it is a minor acquisition could skew things though as i'm sure Gary has more input on the major additions/subtractions.

Either that are Kubiak was just playing dumb and He and Smith don't talk about much to the media until the player is already signed or has already came in for a meeting and left town.

I'm pretty sure Kubiak knew something about the team meeting with Chris Henry.

Mr. White
10-06-2009, 04:09 PM

FWIW, I asked McClain about this today in his chat and he helped clarify things.

11:46
[Comment From Corey]
Did you see Mike Lombardi's article on Friday? Basically, it said that Gary Kubiak has too much control over the organization and the Texans need a strong GM.
11:47
John McClain: Lombardi doesn't like the Texans. He obviously doesn't know what goes on in this organization. For instance, Kubiak is working on the game plan right now. Rick Smith is watching free agents try out as he does every Tuesday. If he wants to sign one, he doesn't tell Kubiak. He signs him and tells Kubiak who he signed. Does that sound like Kubiak has all the control?

This blows away my theory after Lombardi's article that Kubiak runs everything. Cooler heads (Texans Chick) said that Kubiak and Smith work together. Looks like they (she) were (was) right.

TheRealJoker
10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
The most exciting move that we've made today wasn't signing Chris Henry to the practice squad, it was promoting Tim Jamison to the active roster. This guy looked really good in preseason and i'm happy that he's getting a shot.

From the bits and pieces he was on the field he looked technically sound with a relentless motor. Doesn't have the talent that Barwin does but he's better at using his hands to keep OL off of him and has more pass rush moves to get after the QB. I imagine if he sees the field it'll mostly be on special teams but i'm interested in seeing him get after the QB if the coaches let him.

BSofA04
10-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Ugh. Hooray I guess! We'll see how this plays out.

bckey
10-06-2009, 06:50 PM

I agree with this. I really wish we hadn't signed him.

ubecool454
10-06-2009, 06:51 PM
From kffl.com

OK to look but this guy is not that good. I would rather just bring Foster up of the practice squad now.

Thorn
10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
So, I ask on TitansTailGate board what they think of this guy.

http://www.titanstailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646

CloakNNNdagger
10-06-2009, 09:52 PM
So, I ask on TitansTailGate board what they think of this guy.

http://www.titanstailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646

An interesting comment.......he could return punts.

BSofA04
10-07-2009, 01:17 AM
An interesting comment.......he could return punts.
Hope he's better than kickoffs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0YAhpcrCLg

m5kwatts
10-07-2009, 01:23 AM
I agree with this. I really wish we hadn't signed him.

Yeah because practice squad roster spots are so precious and this team has enough quality running backs....

:sarcasm:

SteveSlaton20
10-07-2009, 01:25 AM
meh.

BigBull17
10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
The most exciting move that we've made today wasn't signing Chris Henry to the practice squad, it was promoting Tim Jamison to the active roster. This guy looked really good in preseason and i'm happy that he's getting a shot.

From the bits and pieces he was on the field he looked technically sound with a relentless motor. Doesn't have the talent that Barwin does but he's better at using his hands to keep OL off of him and has more pass rush moves to get after the QB. I imagine if he sees the field it'll mostly be on special teams but i'm interested in seeing him get after the QB if the coaches let him.

Jamison's played the position longer. He should offer a little more short term, with Barwin's upside much higher.

badboy
10-07-2009, 12:49 PM
It is interesting that Gary didn't really have any idea about this less than a day before it goes down. I guess I always assumed he and Rick both had a say but it appears Rick has a bit more freedom than that. Not making an argument that 1 way is better or anything but this does offer a bit of insight into our front office workings. The fact that it is a minor acquisition could skew things though as i'm sure Gary has more input on the major additions/subtractions.I agree. Sorta surprised me when he said it. I thought "yeah, right." I think Smith know what Gary wants & I am sure both were on same page.

badboy
10-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah because practice squad roster spots are so precious and this team has enough quality running backs....

:sarcasm:I agree with your point but he is not a quality RB. The move was simple a "hope lightning strikes" move. The comments from the Titans fans sound like he worse than I thought although he is heavier. I thought he was about 224.

HOU-TEX
10-07-2009, 01:01 PM
"Championship"

Sorry, somebody had to say it. :peek:

CloakNNNdagger
10-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Hope he's better than kickoffs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0YAhpcrCLg

helmet to helmet violent contact (arguably illegal).......and still hung onto the ball!