PDA

View Full Version : Romo

m5kwatts
10-05-2009, 01:16 AM
He has to be the least clutch quarterback in the NFL. Seriously, the guy is at his worst when the game is on the line. If you need points to win a game don't count on this guy. I love seeing the Cowboys flame out but when Romo chokes like this its like icing on the cake.

gtexan02
10-05-2009, 01:17 AM
I wish they had won today. I was counting on the NFC East to beat up the AFC North a little

Spled
10-05-2009, 01:19 AM
I actually like JaMarcus Russell more as a quarterback. Russell can learn the finesse game, but I don't know if Romo will ever have a strong arm.

m5kwatts
10-05-2009, 01:54 AM
I wish they had won today. I was counting on the NFC East to beat up the AFC North a little

I thought this too but its a little early to be thinking that. I mean would it surprise anyone if Denver did a nosedive and lost a bunch of games after starting 4-0? Plus the Chargers are like the Texans but with less upside, great offense, big question mark on defense.

StarStruck
10-05-2009, 10:22 AM
I am not a happy individual at this point and don't know when or if my mindset will change. I find myself cringing every time Tony has the ball, and wondering if this will be the next interception or sack. Given that I am also a fan of the Texans, the David Carr flashbacks aren't setting well.

I can live with a good hard fought game that results in a loss, but giving games away because of inept decisions is not acceptable.

ChampionTexan
10-05-2009, 10:32 AM

I thought this too but its a little early to be thinking that. I mean would it surprise anyone if Denver did a nosedive and lost a bunch of games after starting 4-0? Plus the Chargers are like the Texans but with less upside, great offense, big question mark on defense.

The NFC East plays the AFC West this year, and if that's what you meant, I think there's at least a decent chance both Philly and the Giants go 4-0 against them. If you really meant the AFC East, that's the NFC South, and the Falcons have already lost to the Pats, and the Bucs and Panthers don't look like they can beat anybody right now - except maybe each other. Saints v Pats in New Orleans might be epic though.

Blake
10-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I actually like JaMarcus Russell more as a quarterback. Russell can learn the finesse game, but I don't know if Romo will ever have a strong arm.

Spled, what are you thinking? JR is one of the worst QB's ive have seen in a looooong time. Do yourself a favor and never say that again.

WWJD
10-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I am not a happy individual at this point and don't know when or if my mindset will change. I find myself cringing every time Tony has the ball, and wondering if this will be the next interception or sack. Given that I am also a fan of the Texans, the David Carr flashbacks aren't setting well.

I can live with a good hard fought game that results in a loss, but giving games away because of inept decisions is not acceptable.

Win one, lose one=average.

That's the Cowboys. Average....

Romo sucks so far this year though except for a good game one.

Dread-Head
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
:popcorn:

StarStruck
10-05-2009, 11:27 AM
:popcorn:

Enjoy! :popcorn: I will not back down or pretend. I don't have interest nor patience for the 5-Year plan to see if Romo is going to do the job he is being paid mega-millions to perform. Hopefully for the time you have known me, you aren't expecting excuses.

HOU-TEX
10-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Personally, I think Romo's one of the most overrated QB's we've seen in quite some time. Whether it be from playing in Dallas or being a pretty boy with celebs for girlfriends, who knows?

Honoring Earl 34
10-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Jerrah's gonna trade a 3rd round pick to Bud for VY . This way he can fill his stadium with the VY brigade . The guy who calls in all the time on the radio shows will noow be Cowboy Rick .

WWJD
10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Jerrah's gonna trade a 3rd round pick to Bud for VY . This way he can fill his stadium with the VY brigade . The guy who calls in all the time on the radio shows will noow be Cowboy Rick .

Even Jerry's not that dumb. Who is Rick?

Honoring Earl 34
10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Even Jerry's not that dumb. Who is Rick?

Titan Rick was the biggest trash talker on the radio a month ago . Now he's Droopy Rick cause all he wants to see is VY . That tells me he's not a Titan fan he's a VY fan .

worldlyman
10-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I was reading the Dallas Cowboys forum.

It seems after the Mile High debacle yesterday, more than enough Cowboys fans are bashing on Tony. Yet there are still numbers of them who say Romo is still the guy and they wouldn't take anybody "not named Brady, Peyton or Warner."

Romo is still a pretty good QB in the right circumstances but it's clear that a prime Terrell Owens very much made his early success, from most of latter 2006 through the 13-3 2007 season.

But Romo is not clutch. Matt Schaub has been the better QB lately. And Schaub's faced some pretty good defenses lately, better than the ones than Tampa Bay and Carolina have offered.

And Schaub is clutch in comparison. Those 3 great drives against Jacksonville, Miami and Green Bay last year will someday be added to his legacy.

And Matt would've had another great clutch drive in this year's Battle Red game against the Jags had it not been for a questionable penalty and Chris Brown fumble.

Those defenses of the Titans (the one still strong after the Pittsburgh opener), Jags and Raiders are not soft but Schaub did his part in picking them apart when he had to while getting nailed in the pocket. The Jags held the Colts to 14 points, while the Titans held the Steelers to 13 in Week 1 before Schaub riddled those defenses with multiple TD tosses.

Romo, OTH, while enjoying a great running game, simply cannot take advantage of that and still makes crucial mistakes and costly turnovers at critical moments of the games.

Just imagine if Schaub had that power running game of the Cowboys even though the Texans' running game is showing signs of life lately. And Schaub is doing well behind a line whose strength is not classic pocket protection while the dormant running game is reviving. You think Romo could do as well behind that ZBS scheme when the rushing attack isn't there? Schaub can deliver 400 yds in near 0 degree weather in Wisconsin but give Romo a break because it was a tough 16 degrees in the Three River City. Yeah, Schaub is an afterthought alright.

I think we Texans fans are fortunate to have Matt Schaub as our QB at this juncture. Despite that tough Raiders D that sacked him four times and pressured him all game long, Matt still showed other ways to get it done rather than having to rely on Andre. Matt found seven different receivers while Tony kept missing his open guys despite an early dominant running game in Denver.

Those arrogant Cowboys fans (they who are surprised an NFL team exists in Houston) can think Schaub is some scrub compared to Romo but I think Matt will put on a great show this week in Arizona.

Maybe Tony is still adjusting to the new power running game...but his decision making and accuracy in the pocket under pressure are questionable to this point. They miss a prime Terrell Owens.

WWJD
10-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Titan Rick was the biggest trash talker on the radio a month ago . Now he's Droopy Rick cause all he wants to see is VY . That tells me he's not a Titan fan he's a VY fan .

Ok...you must be talking about 610 then..kind of rings a bell now.

Maybe he's related to Vince..he has a ton of family here.

WWJD
10-05-2009, 12:05 PM

It seems after the Mile High debacle yesterday, more than enough Cowboys fans are bashing on Tony. Yet there are still a number who say Romo is still the guy and they wouldn't take anybody "not named Brady, Peyton or Warner."

Romo is still a pretty good QB in the right circumstances but it's clear that a prime Terrell Owens very much made his early success, from most of latter 2006 through the 13-3 2007 season.

But Romo is not clutch. Matt Schaub has been the better QB lately. And Schaub's faced some pretty good defenses lately, better than the ones than Tampa Bay and Carolina have offered.

And Schaub is clutch in comparison. Those 3 great drives against Jacksonville, Miami and Green Bay last year will someday be added to his legacy.

And Matt would've had another great clutch drive in this year's Battle Red game against the Jags had it not been for a questionable penalty and Chris Brown fumble.

Those defenses of the Titans (the one still strong after the Pittsburgh opener), Jags and Raiders are not soft but Schaub did his part in picking them apart when he had to while getting nailed in the pocket. The Jags held the Colts to 14 points, while the Titans held the Steelers to 13 in Week 1 before Schaub riddled those defenses with multiple TD tosses.

Romo, OTH, while enjoying a great running game, simply cannot take advantage of that and still makes crucial mistakes and costly turnovers at critical moments of the games.

Just imagine if Schaub had that power running game of the Cowboys even though the Texans' running game is showing signs of life lately.

I think we Texans fans are fortunate to have Matt Schaub as our QB at this juncture. Despite that tough Raiders D that sacked him four times and pressured him all game long, Matt still showed other ways to get it done rather than having to rely on Andre. Matt found seven different receivers while Tony kept missing his open guys despite an early dominant running game in Denver.

Those arrogant Cowboys fans can think Schaub is some scrub compared to Romo still but I think Matty will put on a great show this week in Arizona.

Maybe Tony is still adjusting to the new power running game...but his decision making and accuracy in the pocket under pressure are questionable to this point. They miss a prime Terrell Owens.

I can tell you THIS Cowboys fan doesn't miss Terrell. He's not doing much in Buffalo is he?

Romo just sucked yesterday. Flat out he was horrible.

StarStruck
10-05-2009, 12:09 PM

It seems after the Mile High debacle yesterday, more than enough Cowboys fans are bashing on Tony. Yet there are still a number who say Romo is still the guy and they wouldn't take anybody "not named Brady, Peyton or Warner."

There were a number of Texans fans that wanted to keep Carr as well. So, you will always have those willing to risk status quo.

It's no secret that I was in the silent minority that didn't think TO was the problem. He could have been the obvious pimple, but IMO not the cause came from another source. I decided to wait and see how things pan out once TO and Jessica were out of the picture, and I don't like what I see.

ChampionTexan
10-05-2009, 12:21 PM
There were a number of Texans fans that wanted to keep Carr as well. So, you will always have those willing to risk status quo.

It's no secret that I was in the silent minority that didn't think TO was the problem. He could have been the obvious pimple, but IMO not the cause came from another source. I decided to wait and see how things pan out once TO and Jessica were out of the picture, and I don't like what I see.

Any chance the Cowboys do with Kitna/Romo what the '08 Titans did with Collins/VY?

It sounds ludicrous on the surface (and maybe below the surface too), but realistically, how many folks would have given VY any chance of being benched going into the '08 season (much less after the first half of the first game), and while Collins had seen some success with the Panthers and the Giants, how much more highly regarded was he then compared to Kitna now?
:stirpot:

Texan JBZ
10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Colin Cowherd brought up an interesting fact about Romo around a week ago that really hit home. Romo wasn't highly recruited coming out of high school. None of the big-time programs were beating down his door, ala Mark Sanchez, Peyton Manning, Matt Barkley, etc. So he ends up at Eastern Illinois, a I-AA school where he has a decent career against lower level competition. Even after that, no NFL team saw enough out of the guy to even spend a low round draft pick on him. He ends up going to the Cowboys via free agency where he can't beat out Quincy Carter or Vinny Testaverde. Matter of fact, he was going to be released before Quincy Carter f'd up his whole career. So he finally gets his chance after Drew Bledsoe is washed up, and he plays very well but doesn't show up in the big moments. He gets the fame, the popularity, and the big paycheck without ever really proving himself. Herd sums it up by stating that Romo is what he is. He's a decent QB that was never really sought after that can't show up for the big moments.

Vinny
10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Romo is a coach killer.

Blake
10-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Romo is a coach killer.

You're a coach killer!

I mean, Romo sucks...

spurstexanstros
10-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Romo wanted to post on this issue...but it got intercepted

Vinny
10-05-2009, 12:39 PM
You're a coach killer!

I mean, Romo sucks...
Yeah, Romo sucks in the clutch. The reason I call him a coach killer is that he gives you just enough hope and he can wow you at times but he ends up losing games for you when it's on him to make it happen. Ownership will try another Coach before they let go of the Coach killer. We see this over and over all across the league with different guys who tease you with greatness only to let you down when you need him the most.

ChampionTexan
10-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeah, Romo sucks in the clutch. The reason I call him a coach killer is that he gives you just enough hope and he can wow you at times but he ends up losing games for you when it's on him to make it happen. Ownership will try another Coach before they let go of the Coach killer. We see this over and over all across the league with different guys who tease you with greatness only to let you down when you need him the most.
Hmmm.....

Romo or Phillips
Romo or Phillips
Romo or Phillips
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Blake
10-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Romo wanted to post on this issue...but it got intercepted

lol. And the moderator got fired.

worldlyman
10-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I can tell you THIS Cowboys fan doesn't miss Terrell. He's not doing much in Buffalo is he?

Romo just sucked yesterday. Flat out he was horrible.

I did say a "prime" Terrell Owens. It is clear he did his part in making Romo gaudy early on. The reality is, TO ain't in his prime no mo'. But the popcorn is still there for him.

worldlyman
10-05-2009, 12:51 PM

Admittedly, I wanted to keep Carr too. But Carr didn't have the tools around him up and running, so there was some hope.

Tony definitely had the tools up and running when he came on, warmed up by Drew Bledsoe and Bill Parcells. And Tony still has the tools, a power running game that's tearing it up...yet he's finding ways to shoot the feet off.

HoustonFrog
10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
As a big Cowboy fan here, this is what I think

1) Romo has plenty of talent but a 10 cent brain. As you've seen you can't fix the brain no matter how much you try. He is programmed to make silly plays.

2) The Cowboys O-line is horrible. It is no excuse for Romo but he got killed last year and he got killed yesterday. This affects the Romo decision more than anything because he can actually avoid pressure. If you put in a vet for him, they will have some of the same issues, if you draft someone, you start from scratch and hope you get a guy that is like Roethlisberger, Ryan, Sanchez, etc. who might take a pounding.

3) Garrett is a horrible offensive coordinator. The sheen has been lost. He makes bad calls and Tony follows with bad decisions. I think Romo would be better off as a game manager with a massive emphasis on the running games

4) Romo's one saving grace is that there has been Favres and Mannings that wilted badly under pressure for their first 4 years but they at least got a win or so before the defeats. Romo starts with the dropped snap and goes from there. He did win some midseason games against the Packers and Colts over the years that were big but not December big. He is talking a good game but just doesn't have it.

On a side note...his stats are incredible if you look at his career so far...too bad this doesn't translate into big game success...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1251991&postcount=6

Overall my Boys are kind of stuck. You get rid of Romo and you get rid of a guy that can compensate for the horrible O-line. You also lose money, etc and have to go back to playing the lineup of scrubs you had before. If you fire the coach you have Garrett, who has sucked just as bad calling the offense and you really have no DCoordinator...its Wade. So you ride the season out and then make changes. Vinny is right though....you will get a new coach before a new guy for Romo.

Also, back on Garrett. He had a bad year last year. Then he pulls those 2 lob passes on 1st and goal from the 2 last week. Then this week, with the game in the balance you call plays that are not run for Wittwen btu instead for Sam Hurd and Crayton crossing in traffic in the middle of the end zone. Witten was targeted 4 times yesterday. Romo's fault and play calling. I'd rather have seen one draw play attempt and time run out then two passes to back up WRs who were covered by Champ Bailey. Heads up it.

Texecutioner
10-05-2009, 04:08 PM

Is this a joke? I hope so, because if not this has got to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. There are college QB's that are better than Russell right now, and Romo's a pretty good QB that's on a team that's currently 2-2 that's lost to two teams that are both undefeated and has had a season where he's thrown 36 TD's. And you can say what you want about Romo and try and criticize the guy, but saying that he's got a weak arm only points out to me that you haven't hardly watched the guy. Nothing wrong with his arm at all.

Mr teX
10-05-2009, 04:11 PM
You're seeing why he was at Eastern Illinois & not at the USC's & Florida's of the college football landscape...

HoustonFrog
10-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Is this a joke? I hope so, because if not this has got to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. There are college QB's that are better than Russell right now, and Romo's a pretty good QB that's on a team that's currently 2-2 that's lost to two teams that are both undefeated and has had a season where he's thrown 36 TD's. And you can say what you want about Romo and try and criticize the guy, but saying that he's got a weak arm only points out to me that you haven't hardly watched the guy. Nothing wrong with his arm at all.

You are right. And Romo actually has a strong arm. His arm and touch aren' what is wrong. It is what he does with them in big games. Also, thwe whole Eastern Illinois thing is a little silly. Roethlisberger wasn't at a big time program either. Or Flacco. Guys can succeed with the right head on their shoulders.

Texecutioner
10-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Romo has got to be the most vilified QB that takes more blame than any QB in the freaking league I swear.

There was like 1 minute and 40 something seconds left in the game and they needed a TD, not a FG. Manning, Big Ben, and Brady are all great clutch time QB's, but they usually have a little more time than 1 minute and 40 seconds left on the clock when they are making their great game winning drives and a lot of those times, they're just having to get into FG range where the kicker can ice it. Romo got his team down there, made a nice dump off pass where his WR made a huge play down the field after the catch. Romo's pass wasn't a bad pass that he threw in the end zone really. His guy didn't come up with it. It wasn't an easy catch or anything, but you want your WR's to be able to make plays as well.

People also forget that the Cowboys were playing what looks like a top 5 defense so far this season. When the Cowboys lose it always gets blamed on Romo, and for some reason so many other Cowboys players names hardly get mentioned or highlighted. Romo and Eli take phoney criticism than any other two QB's in the entire league.

StarStruck
10-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Colin Cowherd brought up an interesting fact about Romo around a week ago that really hit home. Romo wasn't highly recruited coming out of high school. None of the big-time programs were beating down his door, ala Mark Sanchez, Peyton Manning, Matt Barkley, etc. So he ends up at Eastern Illinois, a I-AA school where he has a decent career against lower level competition.

TO wasn't spectacular coming out of high school or highly recruited. McNair attended a IAA college in financially strapped conference against teams that had lower level competition. I wouldn't be surprised that Eastern Illinois had more going for them competition wise than Alcorn. To be honest though, McNair was special.

Texecutioner
10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
You are right. And Romo actually has a strong arm. His arm and touch aren' what is wrong. It is what he does with them in big games. Also, thwe whole Eastern Illinois thing is a little silly. Roethlisberger wasn't at a big time program either. Or Flacco. Guys can succeed with the right head on their shoulders.

Yeah, his arm is one of the most solid arms in the league in my opinion. I agree with you and many others that he forces things to many times, and he'll make some bone headed decisions and all, but he's got a bunch of cans at WR right now. Maybe not can's but his receiving core really isn't that good. The Cowboys were also playing a really tough defense yesterday as well on a team that's undefeated.

He may not be a great two minute drill guy or game winning drive kind of guy like you and many others say, but that doesn't mean that he's not a good QB at all. How many other QB's around the league are great at getting game winning drives? There probably aren't even 10 guys that are. I think he's capable of putting his team on his shoulders actually. He took his team down the field last year and won a game towards the end of the season. People act like he's never done it before and that's not true.

WWJD
10-05-2009, 04:27 PM

yea you're right. He does have a strong arm. That's not the issue.

The issue is that he's not strong mentally. From all I can see he's not a leader. When the offense is off the field he's sitting by himself on the bench. Tony is physically VERY capable...

If Tony had half the football IQ of Peyton we'd be ok. Or even a third.

Texan_Bill
10-05-2009, 04:35 PM
1) Romo has plenty of talent but a 10 cent brain. As you've seen you can't fix the brain no matter how much you try. He is programmed to make silly plays.

Drew Brees: Stretching
LimitsStar quarterback Drew Brees pushes his mind and body to get an edge in the gym and on the field

By: Jen Murphy

At 6 feet and 209 pounds, Drew Brees is 3 inches shorter and 11 pounds lighter than the average NFL quarterback. Yet Brees has an advantage that helped earn him the league’s Offensive Player of the Year award in 2008. The New Orleans Saints starting quarterback takes a mind-over-matter approach to his workouts and to his game. At the gym, you’re more likely to find him playing a tricky game of catch with a deck of playing cards or working with resistance bands than lifting 200-pound dumbbells. “The body will only go as far as the mind will take it,” Brees says.

Full Aticle here: Drew Brees Stretching Limits (http://magazine.wsj.com/hunter/tone/stretching-limits/)

From the article:
“The quarterback position is 90 percent mental and 10 percent physical,” Brees says.

Double Barrel
10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Personally, I think Romo's one of the most overrated QB's we've seen in quite some time. Whether it be from playing in Dallas or being a pretty boy with celebs for girlfriends, who knows?

Yo HOU-TEX, Romo really is an overrated QB, and I'ma Let you finish, but Vince Young is one of the most overrated QBs of all time!

Blake
10-05-2009, 04:51 PM
yo hou-tex, romo really is an overrated qb, and i'ma let you finish, but vince young is one of the most overrated qbs of all time!

rep!

WWJD
10-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Full Aticle here: Drew Brees Stretching Limits (http://magazine.wsj.com/hunter/tone/stretching-limits/)

From the article:

Good article Bill...and I think Brees is proof that it's not all about being physically the most gifted.

Although I do think the Saints need to do more than just win a few games and flame out like they usually do.

They sure look like this might be the year they take that next big step IF they keep Brees upright.

Mr. White
10-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Romo would rather be playing at the Masters.

His linemen would rather be playing at the Ozzfest.

Mr teX
10-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Romo has got to be the most vilified QB that takes more blame than any QB in the freaking league I swear.

There was like 1 minute and 40 something seconds left in the game and they needed a TD, not a FG. Manning, Big Ben, and Brady are all great clutch time QB's, but they usually have a little more time than 1 minute and 40 seconds left on the clock when they are making their great game winning drives and a lot of those times, they're just having to get into FG range where the kicker can ice it. Romo got his team down there, made a nice dump off pass where his WR made a huge play down the field after the catch. Romo's pass wasn't a bad pass that he threw in the end zone really. His guy didn't come up with it. It wasn't an easy catch or anything, but you want your WR's to be able to make plays as well.

People also forget that the Cowboys were playing what looks like a top 5 defense so far this season. When the Cowboys lose it always gets blamed on Romo, and for some reason so many other Cowboys players names hardly get mentioned or highlighted. Romo and Eli take phoney criticism than any other two QB's in the entire league.

The broncos wouldn't have even been in that game if he doesn't turn the ball over twice & if he's not air-mailing everything or just flat out missing WR's. Dude's a major choke artist.

the fumbled snap against seattle in the playoffs... how in the hell do you do that when that's essentially all you've done for the past 2-3 years?

the steelers game last year when he threw the late pick 6 that pretty much won the game for Pittsburgh...

The terrible performance in the giants playoff game in 2007...

The Philly game last year when your team absolutely has to win to make the playoffs, he puts up a stinker (along with his teammates)

The guy just can't handle the pressure of the big game..

HoustonFrog
10-05-2009, 05:06 PM

From the article:

Thanks, cool article. Maybe he can work out with Drew!

WWJD
10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
The broncos wouldn't have even been in that game if he doesn't turn the ball over twice & if he's not air-mailing everything or just flat out missing WR's. Dude's a major choke artist.

the fumbled snap against seattle in the playoffs... how in the hell do you do that when that's essentially all you've done for the past 2-3 years?

the steelers game last year when he threw the late pick 6 that pretty much won the game for Pittsburgh...

The Philly game last year when your team absolutely has to win to make the playoffs, he puts up a stinker (along with his teammates)

Lots of great points....Tony is far from the only problem. He just has the biggest spotlight on him. The playcalling from Garrett is horrible. Wade is useless. The defense can't buy a turnover.

Texecutioner
10-05-2009, 05:21 PM

Did you even watch one single game of all of those you mentioned? Are you telling me that those games were all on Romo?

Texan_Bill
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Lots of great points....Tony is far from the only problem. He just has the biggest spotlight on him. The playcalling from Garrett is horrible. Wade is useless. The defense can't buy a turnover.

Tony D'Amato: "You're a ******* quarterback! You know what that means? It's the top spot, kid. It's the guy who takes the fall. It's the guy everybody's looking at first - the leader of a team - who will support you when they understand you. Who will break their ribs and their noses and their necks for you, because they believe. 'Cause you make them believe. That's a quarterback."

WWJD
10-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Tony D'Amato: "You're a ******* quarterback! You know what that means? It's the top spot, kid. It's the guy who takes the fall. It's the guy everybody's looking at first - the leader of a team - who will support you when they understand you. Who will break their ribs and their noses and their necks for you, because they believe. 'Cause you make them believe. That's a quarterback."

Tony almost broke Roy's ribs for him yest with one of his errant missile passes.

Tony's not a leader...I don't think he ever will be. You can't teach that.

The issue for me as a Cowboys fan is can he be serviceable enough to keep them competitive enough to even sniff the playoffs?

eriadoc
10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Romo would be completely unremarkable if he wasn't shoved down our throats by the media. He's not a bad QB, but he's not the QB the media makes him out to be. He's just a guy, for the most part.

Maybe someday he'll be as good as Danny White.

Fox
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Not a Cowpies fan, but I have a high opinion of Romo. He extends plays, can make some ridiculous throws, and is aggressive enough to make plays only a handful of other QB's will attempt. When it's all said and done I think he's gonna have an impressive career.

Texecutioner
10-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Romo would be completely unremarkable if he wasn't shoved down our throats by the media. He's not a bad QB, but he's not the QB the media makes him out to be. He's just a guy, for the most part.

Maybe someday he'll be as good as Danny White.

I think that's part of the reason why he also gets a lot of extra blame and negative criticism because he's on the Cowboys and because he dated Simpson. The media floats him out there all of the time, and he just had TO on his team so the media was always wanting to see what type of blow up was next and all. His mistakes and bad games are highlighted a lot more than what other QB's are and a lot more than any of his team mate's games are. I know that he's the QB and all, but it seems like every time the Cowboys lose, it's always a roast fest on Romo more than any other QB other than maybe Eli.

Mr teX
10-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Did you even watch one single game of all of those you mentioned? Are you telling me that those games were all on Romo?

In a word, YES. The seattle game, & that pittsburgh game last year. I'll give him a pass on the philly game last year only b/c the whole team didn't show up. the only reason i listed it in the 1st place is b/c he did nothing to try & help settle his team down...& he still had 3 turnovers of his own.

It's pretty much what TB quoted tony d'mato on...

sure the overexposure is part of it, but the guy just does not have it upstairs....

Texecutioner
10-05-2009, 06:11 PM
In a word, YES. The seattle game, & that pittsburgh game last year. I'll give him a pass on the philly game last year only b/c the whole team didn't show up. the only reason i listed it in the 1st place is b/c he did nothing to try & help settle his team down...& he still had 3 turnovers of his own.

It's pretty much what TB quoted tony d'mato on...

So Romo didn't play well against the Steelers last season? What other freaking QB did?? Pittsburgh shut down every QB in the league last year, so this isn't really a good example to use. That's what Pittsburgh does, last year any way.

Romo was playing great out of the gate last season up until that Washington game and then of course TO started mouthing off his typical spill. Romo only played like one other game after that before getting hurt. Did you not see how awful that offense got when Romo went down last season? They couldn't do anything. When he came back, they got a little better on offense, but not a lot. I think he was still a little hurt and had that finder problem or whatever it was, but the entire team had pretty much melted down at that point. TO was all over the place cursing his team mates out and trying to divide the entire locker room as well. I don't think a lot of offenses would have done all that great with a guy acting like that in their locker room they way TO was last year, and a defense that was Jeckell and Hyde all year.

Silver Oak
10-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I think that's part of the reason why he also gets a lot of extra blame and negative criticism because he's on the Cowboys and because he dated Simpson. The media floats him out there all of the time, and he just had TO on his team so the media was always wanting to see what type of blow up was next and all. His mistakes and bad games are highlighted a lot more than what other QB's are and a lot more than any of his team mate's games are. I know that he's the QB and all, but it seems like every time the Cowboys lose, it's always a roast fest on Romo more than any other QB other than maybe Eli.

well, that, and the huge contract he has. you get a huge deal like Romo got, you had better produce on the field, now add in the high profile Cowboys (stadium, television, etc), and the focus is that much greater.

Texan JBZ
10-05-2009, 10:00 PM

TO wasn't spectacular coming out of high school or highly recruited. McNair attended a IAA college in financially strapped conference against teams that had lower level competition. I wouldn't be surprised that Eastern Illinois had more going for them competition wise than Alcorn. To be honest though, McNair was special.

You guys are ignoring some crucial aspects in your arguments. Big Ben, Flacco, and McNair were all high 1st round draft picks. Hell, McNair was a Heisman finalist. Romo? Uh, yeah..As far as TO, he's not a QB. Plus, he was drafted. Romo? Uhhhh, yeah..My point is that special players who have that it factor rarely fall through the cracks.

Dan B.
10-06-2009, 04:37 AM
You guys are ignoring some crucial aspects in your arguments. Big Ben, Flacco, and McNair were all high 1st round draft picks. Hell, McNair was a Heisman finalist. Romo? Uh, yeah..As far as TO, he's not a QB. Plus, he was drafted. Romo? Uhhhh, yeah..My point is that special players who have that it factor rarely fall through the cracks.

Hmm. A few other undrafted FA's:

Kurt Warner
Priest Holmes
Willie Parker
James Harrison
Pat Williams

:devilpig: just yanking your chain a bit. Overall I agree with your point and agree that the vast majority of undrafted players went undrafted for a reason. I also think Romo would be fine (though definitely not a perennial Pro Bowler) in another environment. His laid back persona does not mesh well with the anal Dallas media. Ditto for Wade.

Grams
10-06-2009, 06:54 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/05/romo-didnt-know-it-was-fourth-down/

Romo didn't know it was 4th down?

If he only had a brain.

Mr teX
10-06-2009, 08:19 AM
So Romo didn't play well against the Steelers last season? What other freaking QB did?? Pittsburgh shut down every QB in the league last year, so this isn't really a good example to use. That's what Pittsburgh does, last year any way.

Romo was playing great out of the gate last season up until that Washington game and then of course TO started mouthing off his typical spill. Romo only played like one other game after that before getting hurt. Did you not see how awful that offense got when Romo went down last season? They couldn't do anything. When he came back, they got a little better on offense, but not a lot. I think he was still a little hurt and had that finder problem or whatever it was, but the entire team had pretty much melted down at that point. TO was all over the place cursing his team mates out and trying to divide the entire locker room as well. I don't think a lot of offenses would have done all that great with a guy acting like that in their locker room they way TO was last year, and a defense that was Jeckell and Hyde all year.

Dude, you're missing the point. Despite his early turnovers the cowboys defense kept them in the game & they were still in position to win late; that is until he threw the game winning interception return TD right to townsend missing Witten by a mile, with less than 2 minutes left in the game. It is these types of mental lapses at the most inopportune time that have pervaded his career.He is either outright stinking up the joint or making mistakes at critical times in the game & you can't blame that on anyone but him.

Blaming it on TO is a cop out if i ever saw one. Yeah we all know about TO & his antics but he doesn't have that excuse now & He's still proving to be the same mistake prone guy he was when TO was there.

many dallas fans are coming around & seeing this & the conversion will be complete once they fall to the cellar of the NFC east.

HoustonFrog
10-06-2009, 10:18 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/05/romo-didnt-know-it-was-fourth-down/

If he only had a brain.

The problem was wasting a play on the spike. Take the extra second when everyone is set, have a play called already and at least throw a lob or whatever. The last 10 seconds was unexplainable. Again, he has all the talent in the world, his mental mistakes are what costs him each and every year.

Texecutioner
10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Dude, you're missing the point. Despite his early turnovers the cowboys defense kept them in the game & they were still in position to win late; that is until he threw the game winning interception return TD right to townsend missing Witten by a mile, with less than 2 minutes left in the game. It is these types of mental lapses at the most inopportune time that have pervaded his career.He is either outright stinking up the joint or making mistakes at critical times in the game & you can't blame that on anyone but him.

Yeah, he may have some mental lapses, but he's still better than half of the QB's in the entire NFL. The problem is that people expect him to be an elite QB, and he is not. If he was on a few other teams, he wouldn't have the same expectations.

Blaming it on TO is a cop out if i ever saw one. Yeah we all know about TO & his antics but he doesn't have that excuse now & He's still proving to be the same mistake prone guy he was when TO was there.

Well you clearly don't know what you're talking about then, because TO didn't do squat when Johnson was playing last year when Romo was hurt. All of TO's numbers last season came when Romo was playing. TO brought the typical negative vibes to the team and tried to seperate the locker room like he always does. Bradie James talked about to the media, and there were other sources as well where many believed it was Johnson who was the off the record player who mentioned all of the termoil that TO caused. And an owner with absolutely no shame in Jerry Jones even released TO, so that right there shows what a problem he was on that team. You're way off here.

many dallas fans are coming around & seeing this & the conversion will be complete once they fall to the cellar of the NFC east.

The NFC East is always a very tough conference and the Cowboys don't have a good enough team to win that division this year or even be in 2nd. They don't have good coaching from Wade really and Garrett has been atrocious as a coordinator this season, and their defense is good at times and then inconsistent at times. To blame all of the Cowboys woes on Romo is just flat out incorrect. Yeah, he may have a few mental lapses and he may not be the best clutch QB in the league, but he's not the awful QB that you're trying to act like he is. You listen to much of the media that either will try and build Romo up like the best QB in the league when he wins or destroys the guy when he loses and treats him like Arod of the Yankees when he's not perfect.

Texan JBZ
10-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I live in Funkytown now. I'm surrounded by Cowboy mania (it's sickening). But I'm in Cowboys country now so I respect it. My wife's entire family are huge Cowboys fans. Here's how they feel: The o-line takes too much blame for Romo f'king around in the pocket and they run block very well, they need to run the ball more and stop trying to make Romo the star, trading TO was dumb as hell, Roy is soft, Newman is soft, Hamlin is garbage, James is overrated, Crayton plays hard but is not fast enough, Ratliff & Ware are beasts, Austin is fast and nothing else, Hurd (see Crayton), Witten is the best and needs more catches, Jenkins is emerging, and they miss Canty and Ellis.

As far as Wade, they wanted him gone last season. They don't like the fact that Garrett tries to throw the ball so much when they have Barber, Jones, and Choice in the backfield. They love Jones, but they say that he can't stay healthy long enough and feel that Garrett doesn't give Choice enough carries. Overall, they really don't like Romo. They say he's talented, but he was given too much too early and hasn't proven anything. These are from probably the most sensible Cowboys fans I've ever met. She does have some looney tune Cowboy fans in her family though. I don't even speak football with them. They have a geocentric view of the NFL in that the Cowboys are the center of the football universe and everything else revolves around them. It's pitiful.

Texecutioner
10-06-2009, 01:41 PM
I live in Funkytown now. I'm surrounded by Cowboy mania (it's sickening). But I'm in Cowboys country now so I respect it. My wife's entire family are huge Cowboys fans. Here's how they feel: The o-line takes too much blame for Romo f'king around in the pocket and they run block very well, they need to run the ball more and stop trying to make Romo the star, trading TO was dumb as hell, Roy is soft, Newman is soft, Hamlin is garbage, James is overrated, Crayton plays hard but is not fast enough, Ratliff & Ware are beasts, Austin is fast and nothing else, Hurd (see Crayton), Witten is the best and needs more catches, Jenkins is emerging, and they miss Canty and Ellis.

As far as Wade, they wanted him gone last season. They don't like the fact that Garrett tries to throw the ball so much when they have Barber, Jones, and Choice in the backfield. They love Jones, but they say that he can't stay healthy long enough and feel that Garrett doesn't give Choice enough carries. Overall, they really don't like Romo. They say he's talented, but he was given too much too early and hasn't proven anything. These are from probably the most sensible Cowboys fans I've ever met. She does have some looney tune Cowboy fans in her family though. I don't even speak football with them. They have a geocentric view of the NFL in that the Cowboys are the center of the football universe and everything else revolves around them. It's pitiful.

Trading TO was dumb as hell?? Huh! They didn't trade TO, they released him, because he was to much of a problem in the locker room.

He destroyed the dynamics of that team last season. His own players were in the media saying how he was unapproachable when it came to discussing issues with his attitude towards team mates and his behavior. Then they had secret sources that were leaking stuff about what TO would do in the locker room. They didn't go anywhere with TO in 3 straight years that he was there, so saying that getting rid of him when he was causing all of the problems that he was is crazy. And as far as the Cowboys needing to be a more run heavy team, well what the hell do you think TO would say about that? There's another problem TO brings right there. They couldn't be a team like that with him on there, because he'd still be bitching up a storm every week about how they run the ball to much.

Garrett's been the biggest problem with the Cowboys this season by not running the ball enough. They were supposed to be a much more run heavy this this season. I'm not sure why they haven't been. Roy was never going to be what they brought him there for. The reality is that the Cowboys simply weren't going to be a great team this year.

HoustonFrog
10-06-2009, 01:48 PM

I have said some of what is said here but I completely disagree on TO, the o-line and James. Same thing as them...been a cowboy fan for 35 years. 1) TO was released. Look at TO in Buffalo...he has lost a step, still drops a ton of balls and hasn't gotten separation from DBs for 2 years now. The mediocre WRs for the Boys have been open, Romo just can't hit them. He produced his first year and then last year did too many things bad to make up for the good 2) The O-line was getting Romo killed last year. They are great run blocking...(see earlier pages here where I went through all this) but the pass blocking is horrible. With that said, it doesn't account for him holding the ball too long, missing receivers and the turnovers. But he does run for his life more than people think. 3) James was one of their leaders last year. He is now. He at least cares and plays hard. From what Brooking and he have said, many guys don't hit in practice or play hard either. So it rubs off game time. Wade is soft on practice and soft in games.

Garrett has had one good year and so far a year and 4 games of questionable stuff.

Texan JBZ
10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Trading TO was dumb as hell?? Huh! They didn't trade TO, they released him, because he was to much of a problem in the locker room.

He destroyed the dynamics of that team last season. His own players were in the media saying how he was unapproachable when it came to discussing issues with his attitude towards team mates and his behavior. Then they had secret sources that were leaking stuff about what TO would do in the locker room. They didn't go anywhere with TO in 3 straight years that he was there, so saying that getting rid of him when he was causing all of the problems that he was is crazy. And as far as the Cowboys needing to be a more run heavy team, well what the hell do you think TO would say about that? There's another problem TO brings right there. They couldn't be a team like that with him on there, because he'd still be bitching up a storm every week about how they run the ball to much.

Garrett's been the biggest problem with the Cowboys this season by not running the ball enough. They were supposed to be a much more run heavy this this season. I'm not sure why they haven't been. Roy was never going to be what they brought him there for. The reality is that the Cowboys simply weren't going to be a great team this year.

My bad. I mis-stated about them trading TO. You're right. But her cousin J said it best, "Dawg, you can't replace a Lambo with a Civic. It's not what you're used to." That's what they basically did by releasing TO and trying to rely on Roy to take his place. TO produced, period. Why do you think the Cowboys were able to run the way they did? And I never heard any of these stories that you heard. TO is who he is, but when it was time to play he showed up. The Cowboys still have a ton of talent. They just don't have the right QB or right HC.

Texan JBZ
10-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I have said some of what is said here but I completely disagree on TO, the o-line and James. Same thing as them...been a cowboy fan for 35 years. 1) TO was released. Look at TO in Buffalo...he has lost a step, still drops a ton of balls and hasn't gotten separation from DBs for 2 years now. The mediocre WRs for the Boys have been open, Romo just can't hit them. 2) The O-line was getting Romo killed last year. They are great run blocking...(see earlier pages here where I went through all this) but the pass blocking is horrible. With that said, it doesn't account for him holding the ball too long, missing receivers and the turnovers. But he does run for his life more than people think. 3) James was one of their leaders last year. He is now. He at least cares and plays hard. From what Brooking and he have said, many guys don't hit in practice or play hard either. So it rubs off game time. Wade is soft on practice and soft in games.

I have to disagree with you on TO. The problem in Buffalo is Trent Edwards. He can't even get the ball to Lee Evans either. That, and Dick Jauron. Yes, he's dropped some balls but he still is getting open. And you're right. The Cowboys offensive line is massive and they run block very well. I do think they do an above average job of pass protection. Romo just makes too many mistakes or doesn't read the blitz and pick up the hot route.

Texecutioner
10-06-2009, 01:59 PM
My bad. I mis-stated about them trading TO. You're right. But her cousin J said it best, "Dawg, you can't replace a Lambo with a Civic. It's not what you're used to." That's what they basically did by releasing TO and trying to rely on Roy to take his place. TO produced, period. Why do you think the Cowboys were able to run the way they did? And I never heard any of these stories that you heard. TO is who he is, but when it was time to play he showed up. The Cowboys still have a ton of talent. They just don't have the right QB or right HC.

Well they could have easily just kept TO, but he was all over the place last season ripping lineman apart, creating stories about Romo and Witten, having confrontations in the locker room, and everything else that you could imagine. You can't expect a team to stay together when a guy like that is around no matter how good the guy may be. Sooner or later, the chemistry won't be there and it wasn't there at the end of last season with their offense at all. Plus, TO didn't play well in the last two games of last season really. He wasn't getting the same separation that he was getting early on in the season. He hasn't been getting it all this season. He looks a little slower. His age is finally and slowly starting to catch up to him. The Cowboys really wouldn't have been much better with TO right now man.

I'll admit that he's better than Roy though. But that mistake was on Jerry and Roy was NEVER going to be what they expected. They should have waited and went after Boldin. I never understood why Jerry got so desperate last season and reached on Roy like that, after Romo got hurt. Jerry completely panicked, and now their team is paying for it.

I think the Cowboys just need to get more consistent on defense and run the ball like you and your in laws seem to think as well. They have a great stable of RB's and a good enough run blocking scheme to have the success that they need to have, and then they should work the play action with Witten and Bennett in my opinion, but also put Choice out there to catch some passes out of the backfield as well. They might as well start using their RB's in different types of formations to utilize them in the passing game a lot more as well since their WR's aren't cutting it enough. I think Romo will start throwing more accurately soon enough.

WWJD
10-06-2009, 02:01 PM

I'm not quite getting the parallel between the Cowboys great running game last year and Terrell.

They were in the 20's last year with Terrell..that's not anything to brag about.

This year they were ranked number one going into the Broncos game (I'm sure they slipped with that piss poor performance) WITHOUT Terrell.

Seems to me they are much better without him in terms of their running game.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding your point about their running game???

HoustonFrog
10-06-2009, 02:06 PM
I have to disagree with you on TO. The problem in Buffalo is Trent Edwards. He can't even get the ball to Lee Evans either. That, and Dick Jauron. Yes, he's dropped some balls but he still is getting open. And you're right. The Cowboys offensive line is massive and they run block very well. I do think they do an above average job of pass protection. Romo just makes too many mistakes or doesn't read the blitz and pick up the hot route.

Here is my problem...the first year with TO and Wade they started 12-1. They are now 12-12 since...with TO and without. So somewhere after that start they got mediocre with and without him. So I'm not sure TO makes a difference this year and despite him still making mistakes I thought TO was in Romos head and made too many waves with the Witten thing, etc.

Texan_Bill
10-06-2009, 02:11 PM

If he only had a brain.

http://poietes.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/if-i-only-had-a-brain.gif

Texecutioner
10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I have said some of what is said here but I completely disagree on TO, the o-line and James. Same thing as them...been a cowboy fan for 35 years. 1) TO was released. Look at TO in Buffalo...he has lost a step, still drops a ton of balls and hasn't gotten separation from DBs for 2 years now.

I don't know how people have not noticed this. He wasn't able to get the same separation at the end of last season when Romo was forcing the ball to him on a few occasions. He's always had a lot of drops and he's having more this season. He doesn't look as fast this year in Buffalo. He can still play and all, but he doesn't have the same speed. Whether Trent Edwards can play or not, I haven't seen TO getting any separation in any of the games that I watched of the Bills this year. He's like 35 now, and as great as he's been at an older age, it's catching up to him now.

Texan JBZ
10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm not quite getting the parallel between the Cowboys great running game last year and Terrell.

They were in the 20's last year with Terrell..that's not anything to brag about.

This year they were ranked number one going into the Broncos game (I'm sure they slipped with that piss poor performance) WITHOUT Terrell.

Seems to me they are much better without him in terms of their running game.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding your point about their running game???

Gotta remember that Romo, Jones, and Barber missed several games last season. Jon Kitna doesn't scare anyone with his arm. There was no reason to worry about the WRs when the QB can't get them the ball.

StarStruck
10-06-2009, 02:32 PM

He destroyed the dynamics of that team last season.

Whos destroying the dynamics of the team now?

His own players were in the media saying how he was unapproachable when it came to discussing issues with his attitude towards team mates and his behavior. Then they had secret sources that were leaking stuff about what TO would do in the locker room. They didn't go anywhere with TO in 3 straight years that he was there, so saying that getting rid of him when he was causing all of the problems that he was is crazy.

Do you have a link? I'm not one to easily take and run with he say, she say anonymous comments and perfer the Donta Robinson style comments. Now that TO is gone I see no reason that such comments not to be easily accessible.

And as far as the Cowboys needing to be a more run heavy team, well what the hell do you think TO would say about that? Probably nothing if they are picking up yards and getting into the end-zone. I did read a quote that TO was very interested in MBIII's career and was wishing all the best for him to have a successful season.

There's another problem TO brings right there. They couldn't be a team like that with him on there, because he'd still be bitching up a storm every week about how they run the ball to much.

Perhaps like I was after seen those three interceptions leading to points. I do need my memory refreshed, but what instances were TO upset about the run game?

Oh, I see. At one time I though of Garrett being the heir apparent to Wade, but although I'm not quite ready to run him out of town, I don't want him to be the next head coach. On the running backs, Choice looks good as well as MBIII and of course Jones, but injuries have been an issue.

HOU-TEX
10-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Gotta remember that Romo, Jones, and Barber missed several games last season. Jon Kitna doesn't scare anyone with his arm. There was no reason to worry about the WRs when the QB can't get them the ball.

I think Kitna would probably have more success running that offense than Romo. *ducks*

Texecutioner
10-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Whos destroying the dynamics of the team now?

I don't see anyone doing that. THe team just isn't playing well.

Do you have a link? I'm not one to easily take and run with he say, she say anonymous comments and perfer the Donta Robinson style comments. Now that TO is gone I see no reason that such comments not to be easily accessible.

Did you even watch the Cowboys the last few years? I thought you were a fan of the Cowboys? Hell, several threads were posted in this exact forum last season. Bradie James talked about the termoil that TO caused and mentioned how unapproachable he was about his antics. Witten and TO had to be separated in the locker room before a game. It was reported that TO was running around putting thoughts into Hurd, Crayton, and Roy's head about how Romo just wanted to throw the ball to Witten. Then there was the weekly sideline melt down that TO had when the COwboys weren't playing well where he was screaming at his Olineman like he was their HC. Oh, and going on tv and interviewing with Irvin where he talked down on the play calling of Garrett. Great team mates and respectful players don't throw their OC's under the bus when they're in the middle of a playoff race especially when they've already had problems with that in the past.

I'm not going to take the time and post a link on this. If you're a devoted Cowboys fan, this shouldn't be news to you. Just google all of this and you should be able to find it just fine.

Probably nothing if they are picking up yards and getting into the end-zone. I did read a quote that TO was very interested in MBIII's career and was wishing all the best for him to have a successful season.

Again, did you watch the Cowboys at all last season? Do you not remember how he whined about not getting enough balls in that Washington game when he was targeted like 18 or 20 times or something like that, and Barber only got like 8 carries? But yet, TO still mouthed off after the game. TO whined and cried about not getting enough balls thrown his way in plenty of games last season? How do you not hear about this stuff when ESPN shows it over and over, and multiple threads were posted about this all last year?

Whether the running game was doing well or is doing well is a moot point to TO and always has been. He wants to ball! He can never get it enough.

Was it not the least bit surprising to you when Jerry Jones of all people released TO in the off season? You didn't wonder why a guy who had scored 38 TD's in 3 seasons was released?

Perhaps like I was after seen those three interceptions leading the points. I do need my memory refreshed, but what instances were TO upset about the run game?

He's not upset about the running game itself. He's always upset if he's not getting enough balls thrown his way or if he's not getting TD"s and 100 yard games. He cares way more about himself and his stats than he does about winning and the team's over all record and how an offense goes about getting their wins.

StarStruck
10-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Excuse me?

HOU-TEX
10-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Excuse me?

I think he was meaning to type "How". At least I hope he was.

Mr teX
10-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah, he may have some mental lapses, but he's still better than half of the QB's in the entire NFL. The problem is that people expect him to be an elite QB, and he is not. If he was on a few other teams, he wouldn't have the same expectations.

Baloney, if he had had the same success elsewhere he'd be expected to perform up to the same standards HE set. Lets see... massive contract? check. Talented group of players to compliment you? check. past success? check. physical talent? check. With all of these variables clearly in his favor, i would say it's reasonable for fans to expect him to become an elite qb. I'm not buying this other team garbage simply b/c he's had success with the cowboys (2 pro-bowls and 2 playoff appearances) Unlike Favre & some other qb's, he doesn't have age or any other factor to point to & say "this is why i'm underperforming".

Well you clearly don't know what you're talking about then, because TO didn't do squat when Johnson was playing last year when Romo was hurt. All of TO's numbers last season came when Romo was playing. TO brought the typical negative vibes to the team and tried to seperate the locker room like he always does. Bradie James talked about to the media, and there were other sources as well where many believed it was Johnson who was the off the record player who mentioned all of the termoil that TO caused. And an owner with absolutely no shame in Jerry Jones even released TO, so that right there shows what a problem he was on that team. You're way off here.

Well what was Jones gonna do? Release a qb he just gave unearned millions to, or the guy who has a history of causing problems? That decision was a no-brainer & really tells you nothing. he also released Pacman Jones & Tank Johnson 2 other cancerous players. You probably can read more from the fact that he drafted Stephen Mcgee as insurance for when the romo experiment officially blows up. Furthermore, How does any of that change what he's doing NOW without TO? he's still doing the same crap.

The NFC East is always a very tough conference and the Cowboys don't have a good enough team to win that division this year or even be in 2nd. They don't have good coaching from Wade really and Garrett has been atrocious as a coordinator this season, and their defense is good at times and then inconsistent at times. To blame all of the Cowboys woes on Romo is just flat out incorrect. Yeah, he may have a few mental lapses and he may not be the best clutch QB in the league, but he's not the awful QB that you're trying to act like he is. You listen to much of the media that either will try and build Romo up like the best QB in the league when he wins or destroys the guy when he loses and treats him like Arod of the Yankees when he's not perfect.

Yeah, doesn't matter that they were in position to win the 2 games that they lost & because of him & his early turnovers (as usual), they wound up losing. Part of the reason the offensive playcalling has been garbage is b/c 1: Barber & Jones can't stay healthy & 2: Garrett doesn't know what to expect from Romo from game to game! He'll look great against garbage teams, but when the big games show up he's clueless.

& how are you going to say he's not elite or insinuate he never was elite, yet come back & say that he's still better than half of the starting qb's in the NFL? being better than half of 32 teams is not hard 1st of all, you could probably throw schaub in that category. So the question is where do you rank him in the top 16 qb's. I'll start the list of those who have clearly been better than him since he became a starter in the league; in no particular order:

manning
Brady
brees
favre

Everyone else, his stats are either comparable to, or his are better than. If he's inside the top 10, i think that makes him elite...or supposedly anyway.

WWJD
10-06-2009, 03:52 PM
http://poietes.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/if-i-only-had-a-brain.gif

Hey Bill...Scarecrow looks more like Jerry than Tony...the leathery look and all.

I wonder if that's where the term "brown nose" came from????

:)

WWJD
10-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, doesn't matter that they were in position to win the 2 games that they lost & because of him & his early turnovers (as usual), they wound up losing. Part of the reason the offensive playcalling has been garbage is b/c 1: Barber & Jones can't stay healthy & 2: Garrett doesn't know what to expect from Romo from game to game! He'll look great against garbage teams, but when the big games show up he's clueless.

& how are you going to say he's not elite or insinuate he never was elite, yet come back & say that he's still better than half of the starting qb's in the NFL? being better than half of 32 teams is not hard 1st of all, you could probably throw schaub in that category. So the question is where do you rank him in the top 16 qb's. I'll start the list of those who have clearly been better than him since he became a starter in the league; in no particular order:

manning
Brady
brees
favre

Everyone else, his stats are either comparable to, or his are better than. If he's inside the top 10, i think that makes him elite...or supposedly anyway.

It's really very simple with Tony. He has the physical tools to be a very good QB...the question has been and will be does he have the mental chops?

So far it's been a wash..he's had great games and then he'll totally cave in and become a mental midget on the field.

THIS is the year he needs to step it up..either prove he can do it or just stay as he is.

There really aren't any excuses. He had guys open last Sunday.

I suspect the Cowboys will be average this year again..8-8 maybe...fire Wade...bring a new guy in...and nothing really changes in Cowboy land.

That's my take anyway.

m5kwatts
10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
The NFC East plays the AFC West this year, and if that's what you meant, I think there's at least a decent chance both Philly and the Giants go 4-0 against them. If you really meant the AFC East, that's the NFC South, and the Falcons have already lost to the Pats, and the Bucs and Panthers don't look like they can beat anybody right now - except maybe each other. Saints v Pats in New Orleans might be epic though.

My only point was the AFC west will only have 1 playoff rep., their division winner. And whoever that is is probably going to suck. This is one of the worst divisions in football.

Texecutioner
10-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Excuse me?

It was a typo. Hou-Tex was correct.

Sorry about that. It does look a little funny when reading it that way.:ahhaha: