PDA

View Full Version : Texans workout OLmen

ArlingtonTexan
09-30-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Texans-try-out-five-offensive-linemen.html

The Houston Texans were reminded about the need for depth on the offensive line with the recent season-ending injury to Pro Bowl alternate offensive guard Chester Pitts.

So, they have been looking for potential reinforcements.

Toward that goal, the Texans worked out five offensive linemen this week, according to a league source.

Per our source, the Texans worked out offensive tackles Nevin McCaskill, Reuben Riley and Isaac Sowells as well as offensive guard Ben Wilkerson and center Steve Justice.

None of the players were immediately signed, though.

Texans34Life
09-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Nevin McCaskill, Reuben Riley and Isaac Sowells as well as offensive guard Ben Wilkerson and center Steve Justice

Who are these jokers?

mussop
09-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Who are these jokers?

Isaac Sowells was selected by the Cleveland Browns in the fourth round (112th overall) in the 2006 NFL Draft. During the mandatory Browns Rookie training session in the early summer of 2006, Isaac was rumored to have been crying during workouts due to the strenuous nature of the activities. Then head strength coach, John Lott (American football), was observed telling Isaac "This ain't my first rodeo, son. Like I know." He made his NFL debut at the Houston Texans on December 31.

Sowells was released by the Browns on September 4, 2009 as they made their final roster cuts.

Nevin McCaskill (born December 29, 1983 in Tallahassee, Florida) is an American football guard for the New York Jets of the National Football League. He was signed by the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent in 2007. He played college football at Hampton.

McCaskill has also been a member of the Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers.

Ben Wilkerson (born November 22, 1982 in Port Arthur, Texas) is an American football center who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the Cincinnati Bengals as an undrafted free agent in 2005. He played college football at Louisiana State.

Wilkerson has also been a member of the Atlanta Falcons.

Steve Justice (born May 26, 1984 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania) is an American football center who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Wake Forest.

CloakNNNdagger
09-30-2009, 08:14 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Texans-try-out-five-offensive-linemen.html

A VERY IMPRESSIVE GROUP OF CASTOFFS THAT NEVER WERE:

Steve Justice, a small center (has played guard) drafted by Colts in 6th round in 2008. [EDIT:8 games, none started]

Nevin McCaskill, a moderate sized guard undrafted FA in 2007 picked up by Bills for PS, then to Eagles and Packers PS in 2008, then preseason 2009 on Jets before being released.

Reuben Riley, a moderate sized guard undrafted FA in 2007 picked up by Panthers for PS, then to Fins and back to Panthers both stints on PS in 2008, then preseason 2009 on Jets before being released.

Ben Wilkerson, an undrafted moderate weight Port Arthur center picked up by Bengals in 2005. Didn't play until 2006 (3 games). Then played in 2007 and 2008 for Falcons (total 29 games). No games started.

Isaac Sowells, a nice sized guard drafted in the 4th round by Browns in 2006, played 10 games into 2008 (1st game against the Texans). In the 2006 rookie camp, he was approached by the strength training coach because he was actually crying during a workout complaining that it was too stenous. He was chewed up and spit out by the coach basically saying that he knows a players limits and this is not HIS first "rodeo." So straighten up or get the F out of here. Released in 2009 preseason.

Goldensilence
09-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Maybe I'm dumping it on here but, is this another case of the Texans caught with their pants down?

I mean again entire off-season to look at what we've got including thankfully drafting Antoine Caldwell, and it takes an injury to Chester Pitts to say "hmmm maybe we're not as good off at the position as we thought."

Am off on this?

Runner
09-30-2009, 08:40 PM

A VERY IMPRESSIVE GROUP OF CASTOFFS THAT NEVER WERE:

Steve Justice, a small center (has played guard) drafted by Colts in 6th round in 2008. [EDIT:8 games, none started]

Nevin McCaskill, a moderate sized guard undrafted FA in 2007 picked up by Bills for PS, then to Eagles and Packers PS in 2008, then preseason 2009 on Jets before being released.

Reuben Riley, a moderate sized guard undrafted FA in 2007 picked up by Panthers for PS, then to Fins and back to Panthers both stints on PS in 2008, then preseason 2009 on Jets before being released.

Ben Wilkerson, an undrafted moderate weight Port Arthur center picked up by Bengals in 2005. Didn't play until 2006 (3 games). Then played in 2007 and 2008 for Falcons (total 29 games). No games started.

Isaac Sowells, a nice sized guard drafted in the 4th round by Browns in 2006, played 10 games into 2008 (1st game against the Texans). In the 2006 rookie camp, he was approached by the strength training coach because he was actually crying during a workout complaining that it was too stenous. He was chewed up and spit out by the coach basically saying that he knows a players limits and this is not HIS first "rodeo." So straighten up or get the F out of here. Released in 2009 preseason.

If the Texans pick up a castoff named Riley, I'll know they are in a closed loop.

nero THE zero
09-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Maybe I'm dumping it on here but, is this another case of the Texans caught with their pants down?

I mean again entire off-season to look at what we've got including thankfully drafting Antoine Caldwell, and it takes an injury to Chester Pitts to say "hmmm maybe we're not as good off at the position as we thought."

Am off on this?

I think you're reading too much into NFP's conjecture.

The Texans work out players every week. Remember, we've signed 2 RB in the past two weeks, but these things usually never effect the starters or their back ups, they're simply to rotate through the scout team.

Studdard has replaced Pitts and he was Caldwell and White as his back-ups. There's no reason to panic about working out some scrubs for the scout team.

ChampionTexan
09-30-2009, 09:38 PM

The Texans work out players every week. Remember, we've signed 2 RB in the past two weeks, but these things usually never effect the starters or their back ups, they're simply to rotate through the scout team.

Studdard has replaced Pitts and he was Caldwell and White as his back-ups. There's no reason to panic about working out some scrubs for the scout team.

Yep - unfortunately, we are at the point where just about anything the Texans do is going to be assumed by somebody on this board to either be a monumental brainfart, or be the reaction to a previously committed monumental brainfart (and of course, said reaction will be assumed to be a monumental brainfart in and of itself). I'm not saying that it isn't deserved a fair amount of the time, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and a work out is just a work out.

Goatcheese
09-30-2009, 10:02 PM
How is Levi Jones' knee doing? When he's not hurt he's still a good NFL lineman with the size to play both tackle and guard positions.

CloakNNNdagger
09-30-2009, 10:21 PM
How is Levi Jones' knee doing? When he's not hurt he's still a good NFL lineman with the size to play both tackle and guard positions.

I believe I heard that the Packers signed him today.

Goatcheese
09-30-2009, 10:45 PM
I believe I heard that the Packers signed him today.

While Rick was busy trying to sign scrubs not good enough to be backups on terrible O-lines. :gun:

Runner
09-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Yep - unfortunately, we are at the point where just about anything the Texans do is going to be assumed by somebody on this board to either be a monumental brainfart, or be the reaction to a previously committed monumental brainfart (and of course, said reaction will be assumed to be a monumental brainfart in and of itself). I'm not saying that it isn't deserved a fair amount of the time, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and a work out is just a work out.

The best predictor of the future is the past.

keyser
10-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Steve Justice was actually someone I remember I wanted us to draft back in 2008. A late-round guy, certainly, but IIRC, he was supposed to be well-suited for the ZBS.

If nothing else, I'm glad we're at least giving him a look - I always felt like that was a missed opportunity. At least now if we don't sign him, I figure we got a close enough look that it was deliberate choice.

Goldensilence
10-01-2009, 02:09 AM

Not panicking about them necessarily as much as I am about Studdard starting. Seymour is going to have a field day with the interior of the line.