PDA

View Full Version : A letter to Bob McNair...

DerekLee1
09-30-2009, 12:01 PM
I also posted this same letter to McClain's blog.

Dear Mr. McNair,

I've been frustrated as heck with this team this year, and my wife keeps coyly asking me if I'm ready to give up my 1st- and 2nd-row Bull Pen tickets. It gets tempting, but usually a couple of days after a loss I've settled down and think things through. It's made me look hard at this team, though, and one thing I'm pretty sure of: Rome wasn't built in a day, but Hiroshima was destroyed in seconds.

This team had way more than one bad position when Smith and Kubiak took over. DE, DT, QB, LB, TE, OL, RB, and S were all terrible. Beyond Dunta and AJ, our CB's and WR's were also awful. In our 4th year now, we have a very good QB, receiving corps, LB corps, RB, TE, at least one great DE, and a solid OL. That's a heck of a lot to fix in 3 years.

I'm frustrated too at how long this has taken to fix. But in reading my own posts and thinking things through, I think I'll give this regime a bit of a break if they've fixed all but two positions (DT and S) in 3 years. The defense looks terrible, but I think it has taken improvement everywhere else to see exactly HOW bad certain positions are. Fix the gaping holes at DT and the safeties, and you'll see an entirely different defense. I still believe in Kubiak, I still believe in Rick Smith. I'm skeptical of Frank Bush because he promised us more aggression and pressure, and I haven't seen it yet, but we're also only three games in, so I'll try to be optimistic.

Bottom line, I think Kubiak has done a tremendous job of fixing an incredibly inept offense, and he has now turned the reins over to Lil' Shanny. This means he'll be focusing 100% on defense until it's right. I think he can do it, and I think McNair needs to be very cautious when evaluating the progress. This team was bad in all aspects of the game when Smithiak took over, and there's one piece left to fix. No matter how painful, let's give them just a little more time to get it right. If they're successful, we could be looking at a dynastic regime. What I don't want is a revolving door of coaches for this team.

I know you and Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak are doing everything you can to be competitive. And regardless of what a lot of sour fans may say, I know all you and your players and coaches want to do is win. I'm sure you're all as frustrated as we are, but I for one am willing to try to ride this out as long as it takes. Thanks for bringing football back to Houston.

euro-Texan
09-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Well said. There is a lot of football left this season and way to early to rush to judgement. Hell after week one, I was sure our offence wouldn't score more than 14 in any game this season.

Hervoyel
09-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Nice letter.

I still think we should all pitch in and buy the Texans front office a box of "Washington Generals" t-shirts.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Repped. Well said.

Mr. White
09-30-2009, 12:29 PM
I've had one criterion to judge this team by since the new regime took over: continuous improvement.

The bottom line is that I haven't seen it. It leveled off sometime after the 2007 season. Certain aspects of the team have improved, but not the team's overall performance. And it sure hasn't translated in the W-L column.

I know that there's lots of room for argument as far as to which 8-8 team was better, but I don't buy it. Mediocre is mediocre.

I'm not a homer for any particular coach, player, or GM. If they don't produce, then they should get replaced.

valleytexfan
09-30-2009, 12:32 PM

Dear Mr. McNair,

I've been frustrated as heck with this team this year, and my wife keeps coyly asking me if I'm ready to give up my 1st- and 2nd-row Bull Pen tickets. It gets tempting, but usually a couple of days after a loss I've settled down and think things through. It's made me look hard at this team, though, and one thing I'm pretty sure of: Rome wasn't built in a day, but Hiroshima was destroyed in seconds.

This team had way more than one bad position when Smith and Kubiak took over. DE, DT, QB, LB, TE, OL, RB, and S were all terrible. Beyond Dunta and AJ, our CB's and WR's were also awful. In our 4th year now, we have a very good QB, receiving corps, LB corps, RB, TE, at least one great DE, and a solid OL. That's a heck of a lot to fix in 3 years.

I'm frustrated too at how long this has taken to fix. But in reading my own posts and thinking things through, I think I'll give this regime a bit of a break if they've fixed all but two positions (DT and S) in 3 years. The defense looks terrible, but I think it has taken improvement everywhere else to see exactly HOW bad certain positions are. Fix the gaping holes at DT and the safeties, and you'll see an entirely different defense. I still believe in Kubiak, I still believe in Rick Smith. I'm skeptical of Frank Bush because he promised us more aggression and pressure, and I haven't seen it yet, but we're also only three games in, so I'll try to be optimistic.

Bottom line, I think Kubiak has done a tremendous job of fixing an incredibly inept offense, and he has now turned the reins over to Lil' Shanny. This means he'll be focusing 100% on defense until it's right. I think he can do it, and I think McNair needs to be very cautious when evaluating the progress. This team was bad in all aspects of the game when Smithiak took over, and there's one piece left to fix. No matter how painful, let's give them just a little more time to get it right. If they're successful, we could be looking at a dynastic regime. What I don't want is a revolving door of coaches for this team.

I know you and Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak are doing everything you can to be competitive. And regardless of what a lot of sour fans may say, I know all you and your players and coaches want to do is win. I'm sure you're all as frustrated as we are, but I for one am willing to try to ride this out as long as it takes. Thanks for bringing football back to Houston.

:goodpost:

I just watched the Bob McNair spotlight vid at HT.com....gotta say, I thought he was a good man before, but I have an immense respect for him now. I know he's not one of those owners that doesn't give a crap and just count the $$$. He really cares and wants to succeed. I know he'll get this right and I'm willing to wait as well. It'll be sweet as heck when it happens :texflag:

Vinny
09-30-2009, 12:47 PM
my letter would have been shorter. "Assume the position!" and "Thank you, sir, may I have another?"

El Tejano
09-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Has Mcnair ever responded to any of these letters himself?

Dishman
09-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Nice letter.

I still think we should all pitch in and buy the Texans front office a box of "Washington Generals" t-shirts.

Where do I send my contribution?

jaayteetx
09-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Has Mcnair ever responded to any of these letters himself?

I'm sure they have the same letter ready for every fan who writes in, "thank you for your continued support of the Texans and rest assured we're trying our best every day to build a champion here in Houston, blah, blah, blah"

beerlover
09-30-2009, 01:09 PM
stay classy Texans :texan:

Double Barrel
09-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Dear DerekLee1,

Thank you for your very kind letter and generous support of the Houston Texans!

Did you like the all red uniforms last week? They are really neat and my favorite.

Sincerely,

Bob McNair

DerekLee1
09-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Dear DerekLee1,

Thank you for your very kind letter and generous support of the Houston Texans!

Did you like the all red uniforms last week? They are really neat and my favorite.

Sincerely,

Bob McNair

ZOMG!! Bob McNair responded!! I'm never washing this forum post again!! AAAAYYYYYYYHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

HoustonFrog
09-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Great, now McNair will point to this letter than things are good and not change a thing. Thanks. I was hoping you'd blast him for sitting there and doing nothing while waiting years to get decent while other teams grow and get to the playoffs...but that is just a letter I'd write.:gun:

Wolf6151
09-30-2009, 01:27 PM

Dear Mr. McNair,

Sounds like someone has been drinking the red Kool-Aid again.

swtbound07
09-30-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm willing to ride this out as long as it takes?

You'll die before you see good safety play in a houston uniform.

badboy
09-30-2009, 01:45 PM
I like Bob McNair and Mrs. McNair, their race horses, the GM, head coach, scouts, water boy, cheer leaders and most of the players. I even like most of you. I believe I have legitimate complaints of what I don't like.

First and for most is posters who do not accept any criticism of the team or coaches.

Next is a GM & coach identifying the need to stop the run as the DT position hasn't stopped sweat; then drafting a LB in first round to stop the run. I really like Cushing and his tackles. Uh, how many were within one yard or behind LOS? How many QB sacks or hurries does he have? We give a free agent DE a huge contract and...? Oh, yeah he can slide in on certain plays. How is that working out for us?

Next is a high priority of a power back so we sign Brown http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4551 3.1 yds? Oh yeah, we got a potential guy somewhere on the bench as an UFA. At least the price for Foster is right.

Safety is a huge problem so we draft a 7th rounder who is not able to play. Diles has encouraged my hopes for 7th rounders but we really needed two tight ends in 4th and 5th? How many plays at that position heve they got?

So, yeah.. I am a wee bit concerned.

DerekLee1
09-30-2009, 01:49 PM

Are you a safety? Because you seem really obsessed with this safety thing.

Yes, our safety play is horrible. But so was every other freaking position on the defense 4 years ago. If that's all you've got left to complain about is one position - then what are you complaining about? Think 4 years ago today. Most teams can fix two positions at most in an offseason. We fixed a lot more than 8 positions in 4 offseasons.

It's going to be a real shame if McNair jumps the gun, fires Kubiak and his staff, and then see the team see someone else add the final missing piece and go to the playoffs. The new guy would get all the accolades while reaping the benefit of what Kubiak and Smith built (think Jon Gruden).

Vinny
09-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Yes, our safety play is horrible. But so was every other freaking position on the defense 4 years ago. If that's all you've got left to complain about is one position - then what are you complaining about? Think 4 years ago today. Most teams can fix two positions at most in an offseason. We fixed a lot more than 8 positions in 4 offseasons.

It's going to be a real shame if McNair jumps the gun, fires Kubiak and his staff, and then see the team see someone else add the final missing piece and go to the playoffs. The new guy would get all the accolades while reaping the benefit of what Kubiak and Smith built (think Jon Gruden).Are you Gary Kubiak or what? So what if the next coach gets the love for having a good team?

yeah, too bad the Jets jumped the gun and fired Mangini a year after going 10-6. It may take them years to recover (turn on your sarcasm meters for that one). I don't think anyone in NY cares who gets the credit now that they look like one of the better teams in the league. If the Jets took the kind of advice you are dishing out they would still be mediocre.

swtbound07
09-30-2009, 02:04 PM

It's going to be a real shame if McNair jumps the gun, fires Kubiak and his staff, and then see the team see someone else add the final missing piece and go to the playoffs. The new guy would get all the accolades while reaping the benefit of what Kubiak and Smith built (think Jon Gruden).

I'm tired of discussing the 50,000 other issues when this is the main one and gets ignored.

What do I have to complain about????? Are you serious??? Do you watch texans football? Do you enjoy watching endlessly long touchdowns from the other team? I should shut up and be glad that they've ignored my yelling for a safety because our d-line gets no push and our linebackers can't be bothered to line up on running backs out of the backfield. You think everything is fixed but safety and DT? You are absolutely insane.

Its going to be a real shame when you have to sit through another year of this shit because you sent mcnair a letter telling him everything is okay and your just going to be patient. Enjoy that.

HoustonFrog
09-30-2009, 02:08 PM

You know Atlanta and many other teams had alot of positions gone bad too and they turned it around. There is no team in the NFL that has every position as a "non-weak" spot. With the roster limits and the salary cap, etc there are no stacked teams 22 deep. With that said, you draft and bring in guys to fill holes to cover the rest and to get coached up. If you take that in over 4 years then it is a fail. Maybe 2 years from now you have DT and Safety covered but you may have lost a few WRs, a TE and a DB. You have to have a system where guys fit and the weak spots get covered by the talent in the strong areas. Sorry but in this day and age, there are no teams that have gone slower.

DerekLee1
09-30-2009, 02:15 PM
You know Atlanta and many other teams had alot of positions gone bad too and they turned it around. There is no team in the NFL that has every position as a "non-weak" spot. With the roster limits and the salary cap, etc there are no stacked teams 22 deep. With that said, you draft and bring in guys to fill holes to cover the rest and to get coached up. If you take that in over 4 years then it is a fail. Maybe 2 years from now you have DT and Safety covered but you may have lost a few WRs, a TE and a DB. You have to have a system where guys fit and the weak spots get covered by the talent in the strong areas. Sorry but in this day and age, there are no teams that have gone slower.

People forget very quickly. Up until last year, we were in salary cap hell. There WAS no room to bring in any free agents and the only way to relieve ourselves was to wait out the contract expirations and build through the draft. We just had breathing room this year, but they weren't going to break the bank on subpar players.

Vinny
09-30-2009, 02:19 PM
People forget very quickly. Up until last year, we were in salary cap hell. There WAS no room to bring in any free agents and the only way to relieve ourselves was to wait out the contract expirations and build through the draft. We just had breathing room this year, but they weren't going to break the bank on subpar players.
we weren't in salary cap hell....nothing worse than any other team deals with. The Titans were in ten times deeper 'hell' a few years ago when they were 4-12 and they found a way to get to the playoffs multiple times. In an earlier post I saw you state that part of this "hell" was due to Carr's contract. Guess what? We didn't have to extend it.

HoustonFrog
09-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Yeah but teams like the Patriots in the past and others built through the draft and still let big FAs go while having a new influx of talent come in. Atlanta gets a new coach, drafts a QB to go along with Roddy, etc and they trade for a RB. They change the culture and they are winning. The draft is huge. Getting guys in the right scheme is huge. Again, you never are going to have a perfect 22 guys but you can have a perfect "group" of 22 guys that know their position, can tackle, are smart and who buy into the coach and system. Some will be All-Pros and some will be role guys. When the talen tlevel gets better in some areas and the same mistakes still show up, then you look at coaching.

DerekLee1
09-30-2009, 02:24 PM

Detroit, Miami, Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland, Carolina, Seattle, St. Louis, Buffalo, and Tampa Bay have all moved backwards while we've moved forward. A few more weeks and you may be able to say the same thing about Tennessee, Denver, Jacksonville, Washington, and Arizona. Building a team like Indy or New England or Pittsburgh where you can plug in new players as you lose old ones takes more than 4 years. You have to have a good foundation and a good system first. Our offense has gotten there; I don't have a problem waiting just a little bit longer for the defense to come around.

badboy
09-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Detroit, Miami, Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland, Carolina, Seattle, St. Louis, Buffalo, and Tampa Bay have all moved backwards while we've moved forward. A few more weeks and you may be able to say the same thing about Tennessee, Denver, Jacksonville, Washington, and Arizona. Building a team like Indy or New England or Pittsburgh where you can plug in new players as you lose old ones takes more than 4 years. You have to have a good foundation and a good system first. Our offense has gotten there; I don't have a problem waiting just a little bit longer for the defense to come around.Would you agree that this is a pivotal year?

HoustonFrog
09-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Detroit, Miami, Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland, Carolina, Seattle, St. Louis, Buffalo, and Tampa Bay have all moved backwards while we've moved forward. A few more weeks and you may be able to say the same thing about Tennessee, Denver, Jacksonville, Washington, and Arizona. Building a team like Indy or New England or Pittsburgh where you can plug in new players as you lose old ones takes more than 4 years. You have to have a good foundation and a good system first. Our offense has gotten there; I don't have a problem waiting just a little bit longer for the defense to come around.

Seattle was a playoff team up until last year. St. Louis was a SB team within this decade. TB was in the playoffs not too long back. Miami made the playoffs last year. Carolina was good until last year and a playoff team. Going up and down and having 3-4 years good and 3-4 years rebuilding isn't a problem. The whole time these teams go through their cycle, the Texans are still moving to .500 and at times maybe moving backwards. At some point you have to make a leap. Most coaches don't have 5 year plans unless in the 5th year they are a SB/Playoff favorite.

DerekLee1
09-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Would you agree that this is a pivotal year?

I would agree it's pivotal, but you have to let the year play out and see how the new defensive coordinator adjusts and how the chemistry of players and coaches works out.

Goldensilence
09-30-2009, 02:49 PM
I would agree it's pivotal, but you have to let the year play out and see how the new defensive coordinator adjusts and how the chemistry of players and coaches works out.

Unfortunately I don't think we're going to have another choice in the matter.

CloakNNNdagger
09-30-2009, 02:53 PM

I can just picture Granma.

http://opengardensblog.futuretext.com/waiting%20for%20a%20standard.JPG

badboy
09-30-2009, 02:59 PM
I can just picture Granma.

http://opengardensblog.futuretext.com/waiting%20for%20a%20standard.JPGIf we can just set her in a running lane perhaps we can lower the score by a TD....

DerekLee1
09-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Seattle was a playoff team up until last year. St. Louis was a SB team within this decade. TB was in the playoffs not too long back. Miami made the playoffs last year. Carolina was good until last year and a playoff team. Going up and down and having 3-4 years good and 3-4 years rebuilding isn't a problem. The whole time these teams go through their cycle, the Texans are still moving to .500 and at times maybe moving backwards. At some point you have to make a leap. Most coaches doen't have 5 year plans unless in the 5th year they are a SB/Playoff favorite.

But we're talking about the Smith and Kubiak era here, so in that time period based on those teams you except here, you would have to exclude St. Louis and Tampa Bay. Seattle and Carolina have both regressed, even with very little change in personnel and coaching. I want a perennial playoff team like the Steelers and Dolphins of the 70's, or the Pats of the 2000's, or the (gasp!) cowboys of the 90's. I don't want a sometimes-there, sometimes-not team that goes through a few bad years before they get to a few good years. We've had 7 bad years. What's one more if it leads to 8 good ones?

If the backup QB is the most popular guy in town, then the head coach must the the 2nd most popular.

Jeff Fisher hasn't won a SB ever, and hasn't been in one in 10 years. Should he be fired? Do you consider him a bad coach? He didn't build that team; he inherited a good franchise that was build by Jack Pardee and Buddy Ryan. He's just kept the tradition going.

What about Shula? Schottenhemier? Even Jimmy Johnson took 4 years to win a playoff game.

Texecutioner
09-30-2009, 03:05 PM

Dear Mr. McNair,

Don't like this letter. Sorry, but I've got to be honest. We've had one awful coach and now another that has taken us nowhere and isn't taking us anywhere this year either, and you're over here patting the man on the back for having an under achieving franchise where this year will be another let down. I sincerely hope that no one else is writing letters like this to our owner and applauding the guy.

What Bob Mcnair needs to hear is how upset and frustrated fans are for having to passive coaches for 8 years now that can't sniff the playoffs and letting the same coach (Kubiak) pick his defensive coordinator which was a guy who was promoted from within on an already horrible defense. Mcnair needs to hear from fans how angry they are that our defense is one of the most embarrassing defenses I've ever seen when we've used most of our draft picks on the defense and especially the 1st rounders.

This is not what Bob Mcnair needs to read from any of his fans.

Texecutioner
09-30-2009, 03:14 PM
But we're talking about the Smith and Kubiak era here, so in that time period based on those teams you except here, you would have to exclude St. Louis and Tampa Bay. Seattle and Carolina have both regressed, even with very little change in personnel and coaching. I want a perennial playoff team like the Steelers and Dolphins of the 70's, or the Pats of the 2000's, or the (gasp!) cowboys of the 90's. I don't want a sometimes-there, sometimes-not team that goes through a few bad years before they get to a few good years. We've had 7 bad years. What's one more if it leads to 8 good ones?

If the backup QB is the most popular guy in town, then the head coach must the the 2nd most popular.

Jeff Fisher hasn't won a SB ever, and hasn't been in one in 10 years. Should he be fired? Do you consider him a bad coach? He didn't build that team; he inherited a good franchise that was build by Jack Pardee and Buddy Ryan. He's just kept the tradition going.

What about Shula? Schottenhemier? Even Jimmy Johnson took 4 years to win a playoff game.

Ah man, not this again. I heard this same garbage before the season started all off season. This guaranteed feeling that Kubiak and Smith of all people are going to somehow turn this franchise into a winning franchise for years and years as long as we go through some bad ones is literally one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard on any board I've ever posted on or read. THere are a ton of other coaches that stayed to long, and the franchise went right into the gutter. There are a lot more examples of that, then there are these Fisher and Johnson stories. And hell WE ALREADY MADE THAT MISTAKE. Did you forget Dom Capers? He should have been gone after year 3 and we held onto his ass. This is the NFL and you're either producing or your not producing. If you can't sniff the playoffs in 4 years, then you need to be canned, no ifs, ands, or buts. That's simply to long for any coach to stay on in this era of the NFL. There are far to many coaching candidates out there that you could give a try with, rather than staying with an offensive coordinator that is to passive and doesn't hold players and staff members accountable.

I'm tired of hearing from the Kubiak and Smith apologists. I've had to hear this drivel for two years now about how great this guy's going to be as a HC just because the homers believe that anyone Mcnair hires will automatically become a great HC simply because, and this is going to be 4 straight years without a playoff and a defense that keeps getting worse and worse. This whole idea of being optimistic just to be optimistic is for losers. I'm sick of watching a losing franchise. TIme to try some new blood and see if they can stop this franchise from being perennial losers.

HoustonFrog
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM

Not being negative but you aren't going to get that in this day and age. Did you know that if the Patriots have a winning record this year they will be the first team in the salary cap era to have 9 straight winning seasons?And they did it with the drafts in the early 2000s and actually have fallen off(hitting guys in the draft) some since. Up until last year with the Giants there were some SB teams that regressed the next year. This day and age it is get the talent, win, reload, win, reload. You have to get to the win part though. Jimmy had a plan too. They won 1 game with backups everywhere in 1989. By 1992 they were 13-3. They went from 1-15 to 7-9 and almost a playoff birth to 11-5 and then 13-3. Big difference.

Carr Bombed
09-30-2009, 04:19 PM

Umm.........what's the problem with that?

I'm tired of seeing people settle for mediocrity here....if our owner and fans never hold this team to a higher standard, they'll never reach that next level. You can only hear the head coach say "it's on me....it starts with me" so many times, before people really start to believe him.

4 YEARS IS PLENTY OF TIME TO GET A TEAM TO CHALLENGE FOR A PLAYOFF SPOT!

If Kubiak doesn't turn this team around THIS YEAR, then he needs to move on down the road. One of the reasons why we're in this mess is because all he hires is his cronies. No way in hell should Bush have been our first choice as Defensive Coordinator.

DerekLee1
09-30-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm tired of hearing from the Kubiak and Smith apologists. I've had to hear this drivel for two years now about how great this guy's going to be as a HC just because the homers believe that anyone Mcnair hires will automatically become a great HC simply because, and this is going to be 4 straight years without a playoff and a defense that keeps getting worse and worse. This whole idea of being optimistic just to be optimistic is for losers. I'm sick of watching a losing franchise. TIme to try some new blood and see if they can stop this franchise from being perennial losers.

The difference is Capers never improved the team in ANY way. Offense, defense and special teams got progressively worse every year. Under Kubiak and Smith, we have an elite offense and a top-tier special teams. THAT is improvement. It only feels like forever because we've had seven years of crap. Firing a head coach that makes the kind of improvement Kubiak has made in 3 1/5 seasons is too knee-jerk. It would be foolish. There's no such thing as "win now".

Look at Miami. Last year was a fluke. That's no playoff team. They didn't "fix" that team in a year.

Firing Kubiak does nothing but set us back yet again. Unless Cowher is salivating and begging to come coach this team, it would be foolish to fire him.

DerekLee1
09-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Umm.........where's the problem in that?

see: Jon Gruden. Take Dungy's team to the SB, then slowly but surely kill it over the next 6 years or so. They may have been another dynasty had they hung on to Dungy.

Norg
09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
PS....... BOB plzz destroy the Astrodome with a Laser guided Bomb i think it might be bad luck :texflag:

DerekLee1
09-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Many consider Belichick to be the greatest coach of this generation. Check out his first 6 years:

5-11
7-9
7-9
11-5
5-11
5-11

Still ready to jump the gun and fire everyone?

Carr Bombed
09-30-2009, 04:31 PM
see: Jon Gruden. Take Dungy's team to the SB, then slowly but surely kill it over the next 6 years or so. They may have been another dynasty had they hung on to Dungy.

LMAO, without Gruden they never would've won the damn superbowl (they didn't get there until Gruden gave them a capable offense). Gruden didn't "kill" that team.......the team got old, but despite that Gruden still took that team to the playoffs 2 times after that SB winning team, with Chris Simms and Jeff Garcia as his starting QBs.

P.S.

Kubiak isn't Tony Dungy.........LOL, Kubiak isn't even Jon Gruden.......and Jon Gruden STILL got fired. (But somehow Kubiak deserves a pass)

HoustonFrog
09-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Many consider Belichick to be the greatest coach of this generation. Check out his first 6 years:

5-11
7-9
7-9
11-5
5-11
5-11

Still ready to jump the gun and fire everyone?

Yeah, you are forgetting to mention that they were with the Browns..an organization run completely differently than the Patriots. He was 5-11 his first year with them and hasn't had a losing season since. So stop twisting the facts. If he was here and went 5-11 and then reeled off a salary cap era record 9 straight winning seasons, people wouldn't care.

Is this the Hulk75 of Kubiak?

Mr. White
09-30-2009, 04:43 PM
If Kubiak doesn't turn this team around THIS YEAR, then he needs to move on down the road. One of the reasons why we're in this mess is because all he hires is his cronies. No way in hell should Bush have been our first choice as Defensive Coordinator.

This is what I've been saying since the hire. If Kubiak would have hired a known commodity for the DC job, then he might have been able to buy another year or two.

Since he took a chance on one of "his" guys again, now all bets are off.

I'm going out on a limb here and reading between the lines. If he brought in a guy with experience, then that guy will want to hire his own coaches instead of Kubiak's good ol' boys.

Live by the sword....

HoustonFrog
09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
This is what I've been saying since the hire. If Kubiak would have hired a known commodity for the DC job, then he might have been able to buy another year or two.

Since he took a chance on one of "his" guys again, now all bets are off.

I'm going out on a limb here and reading between the lines. If he brought in a guy with experience, then that guy will want to hire his own coaches instead of Kubiak's good ol' boys.

Live by the sword....

Isn't Gregg Williams in New Orleans now? Their defense suddenly looks alot stouter than it did before

Carr Bombed
09-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Isn't Gregg Williams in New Orleans now? Their defense suddenly looks alot stouter than it did before

Also see Mike Nolan in Denver.....:rolleyes: sigh, all he had to do was improve on defense and he couldn't even bring in a experienced proven commodity. Just like Capers......Loyalty to bums is what's going to kill Kubiak.

infantrycak
09-30-2009, 04:53 PM

People forget the coaches have a choice as well. There were rumors Green Bay and Houston were courting Gregg Williams. Then I don't believe he even came in for an interview and his hiring was announced in New Orleans. And to prior discussions about money, the Texans interest would seem to indicate they were willing to pay for a high dollar coach and that Williams didn't care and wanted the situation in New Orleans.

Carr Bombed
09-30-2009, 04:57 PM
People forget the coaches have a choice as well. There were rumors Green Bay and Houston were courting Gregg Williams. Then I don't believe he even came in for an interview and his hiring was announced in New Orleans. And to prior discussions about money, the Texans interest would seem to indicate they were willing to pay for a high dollar coach and that Williams didn't care and wanted the situation in New Orleans.

That's great, but shouldn't they have had another backup plan, besides a guy who was a assistant on one of the worst defenses year in and year out the past 3 years?

There's other promising assistants around the league. It gives me the feeling like they never really tried to look elsewhere.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Exactly the kind of fan Bob McNair wants, a sucker.

infantrycak
09-30-2009, 05:02 PM
That's great, but shouldn't they have had another backup plan, besides a guy who was a assistant on one of the worst defenses year in and year out the past 3 years?

There's other promising assistants around the league. It gives me the feeling like they never really tried to look elsewhere.

Well that's the thing about these kinds of discussions - we don't know what they did. We don't know how many teams they asked to interview the DC and were refused by either the team or DC. We don't know how many assistants they talked to. Can you name any assistants who were worthy of promotion?

HoustonFrog
09-30-2009, 05:03 PM

That may be true. I was just throwing his name out as a guy who had the name and experience and turned a team that was all offense into a team that has the offense and the defense is playing ball too. I think you make a run. I won't spead all day on "search" but the minute they fired the last one I said it would be Bush...alot of people did. I honestly think they didn't even put in the effort and Bush was the target. Clearly JMO but there didn't seem to be any urgency to it and all of sudden its Bush.

Mr. White
09-30-2009, 05:04 PM

But that doesn't really explain why no other candidates were interviewed here. If they were, then it was a well-kept secret.

I remember seeing stories about all these guys were getting interviews and not seeing us interview anybody. Then, the new DC was announced and what a big surprise....

Carr Bombed
09-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Can you name any assistants who were worthy of promotion?

Any assistant that helped contribute to a solid defense the last couple of years and not one in house that helped coach the league's crappiest defense the last 3 years.

Sorry, but there's no excuse to not hold interviews. The fact that they didn't pretty much says Frank Bush was their guy all along.

Mr. White
09-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Any assistant that helped contribute to a solid defense the last couple of years and not one in house that helped coach the league's crappiest defense the last 3 years.

Sorry, but there's no excuse to not hold interviews.......none whatsoever. The fact that they didn't pretty much says Frank Bush was their guy all along.

Here's (http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~topic54590-Defensive-coordinator-search) a pretty good rundown of the DC "search." It should help jog some memories.

The only guys that got interviews were position coaches. Wonder why?

Second Honeymoon
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Dear DerekLee,

I am not surprised that you are a Cubs fan and a Texans fan. Here at the Texans, we model our franchise after those lovable Cubs. Similar to the Cubs, we are working night and day towards finding new and exciting ways to lose games and as long as the turnstile keeps turning and the beer keeps selling, we will be more than happy to continue to provide the best losing experience for our fans. It's not enough to lose but you have to lose with consistency. We pride ourselves in that here at the Texans. I hope you look forward to 100 years of nothing with the Texans just like there is 101 years and counting of nothing with the Cubs.

Signed,

Bob McNair

p.s. Make sure to keep buying tickets, souvenirs, and refreshments. If we lose our fan's support we may actually have to do something other than fail miserably and lose year after year to keep our fanbase vibrant. To be irrelevant and popular is what being a Cubs fan is all about. We hope we provide the same experience to our own Texans fans.

p.s.s. Enjoy Year 102 of that Cubs 'magic'.

Carr Bombed
09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Dear DerekLee,

I am not surprised that you are a Cubs fan and a Texans fan. Here at the Texans, we model our franchise after those lovable Cubs. Similar to the Cubs, we are working night and day towards finding new and exciting ways to lose games and as long as the turnstile keeps turning and the beer keeps selling, we will be more than happy to continue to provide the best losing experience for our fans. It's not enough to lose but you have to lose with consistency. We pride ourselves in that here at the Texans. I hope you look forward to 100 years of nothing with the Texans just like there is 101 years and counting of nothing with the Cubs.

Signed,

Bob McNair

p.s. Make sure to keep buying tickets, souvenirs, and refreshments. If we lose our fan's support we may actually have to do something other than fail miserably and lose year after year to keep our fanbase vibrant. To be irrelevant and popular is what being a Cubs fan is all about. We hope we provide the same experience to our own Texans fans.

:spit:

Rep...

CloakNNNdagger
09-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Dear DerekLee,

Signed,

Bob McNair

p.s.s.s. The Astros have also enjoyed incorporating your genius.

Texecutioner
09-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Dear DerekLee,

Signed,

Bob McNair

Hell, you're actually giving UNcle Bob to much credit SH. The Cubs actually make it to the post season every now and then and even in other seasons they actually get over 500.

I think Hervoyel was more accurate when he mentioned that we are the Nationals.

HOU-TEX
09-30-2009, 05:59 PM
I guess I don't understand the purpose of writing a letter to McNair, other than making yourself feel better.

gary
09-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Everything will be ok? News flash if Bob waits and allows his team to continue to stink it up every Sunday he'll lose money and fans possibly having to get rid of the team. That would leave Houston without a team once again. It's not four years folks it's NINE. How long is 8-8 going to please Mr. McNair or supporters of this team. I don't know about you but my blood is running thin with the Texans and I am growing sick of the waiting game. Something has to give very soon. I want my team in the playoffs before I'm 50 and right now they are not on the playoff track as matter of fact a loss to the Raiders on Sunday and I'll start fearing not just another .500 season but maybe even below. Neither Dom or Gary has any type of track record in the NFL as a HC to be honest here. How much longer are we going to sit back and wait for this that or the other? My letter to Bob would say enough is enough already let's make the next HC hiring someone with winning record who is power hungry for the job and willing to get his team motivated and prepared to play week in and week out because Dom or Gary has done that. What do you all say?

gary
09-30-2009, 07:12 PM
I guess I don't understand the purpose of writing a letter to McNair, other than making yourself feel better.Mean either he already knows what has to be done to make this team better now all he has to do is get the job done without our help.

Texecutioner
09-30-2009, 07:13 PM
My letter to Bob would say enough is enough already let's make the next HC hiring someone with winning record who is power hungry for the job and willing to get his team motivated and prepared to play week in and week out because Dom or Gary has done that. What do you all say?

I say Mike HOlmgren!

gary
09-30-2009, 07:21 PM
I say Mike HOlmgren!Oh, so you're not for waiting another 10 or 20 years Tex? I say let's continue to be teased that everything will be ok when the fact is that they should be better than OK. Fair enough?

Wolf
09-30-2009, 07:23 PM
I say Mike HOlmgren!

I figure that is tongue and cheek, but holmgren would probably want the Gm duties too
:thinking:

gary
09-30-2009, 07:27 PM
I figure that is tongue and cheek, but holmgren would probably want the Gm duties too
:thinking:Hell, at this point I'm ready to give them to him we all know if Gary walks more than likely so will Smith.

gary
09-30-2009, 07:52 PM
While they are at it maybe they should consider hiring a personal motivational speaker as well.

Wolf
09-30-2009, 07:55 PM
While they are at it maybe they should consider hiring a personal motivational speaker as well.

the way they are tackling, they'd probably miss the point

:smiliedance:

gary
09-30-2009, 08:01 PM
the way they are tackling, they'd probably miss the point

:smiliedance:lol

Texecutioner
09-30-2009, 08:21 PM
:thinking:

Well that may not be the case since he already had to do that in Seattle.

But I'll tell you what, if it's either Holmgren at GM or Rick Smith, I'd let Holmgren get it then. But yeah, I'm not for the HC being the GM as well. He might not even want all of those duties again though. That's speculation.

gary
09-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Well that may not be the case since he already had to do that in Seattle.

But I'll tell you what, if it's either Holmgren at GM or Rick Smith, I'd let Holmgren get it then. But yeah, I'm not for the HC being the GM as well. He might not even want all of those duties again though. That's speculation.He might just settle for the HC job.

gary
09-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Dear DerekLee,

Signed,

Bob McNair

p.s.s. Enjoy Year 102 of that Cubs 'magic'.More rep for you.

TexanExile
09-30-2009, 09:43 PM
The only guys that got interviews were position coaches. Wonder why?
Maybe somebody didn't want a good replacement waiting in the wings. Former head coaches could be dangerous to current ones. I posted in another thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1263064&postcount=21) that this team had to go out of its way to build such a cast of non-threatening nobodies on such a large coaching staff. McNair had to see that condition develop.

Maybe it wasn't even deliberate...just a desire for "cohesion" or "unity" or some other buzzword for nobody looming larger than our soft-spoken first-time head coach.

I sure hope some other letters being written to McNair have some resumes attached to them.

IlliniJen
09-30-2009, 09:47 PM
I think I've read this before. It's called "Candide."

steelbtexan
09-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Well that's the thing about these kinds of discussions - we don't know what they did. We don't know how many teams they asked to interview the DC and were refused by either the team or DC. We don't know how many assistants they talked to. Can you name any assistants who were worthy of promotion?

Rob Ryan

The NYG asst coach that just got promoted. (I think his name is Sheridan)

John Marshall

steelbtexan
09-30-2009, 10:03 PM
I read on PFT that Holmgren is probably going to end up in Washington.

I would rank potential coaches I would like to see coach the Texans like this

1.Holmgren
2.Gruden
3. Bilick

Lauren
09-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Dear DerekLee,

Signed,

Bob McNair

I'm crying on the inside as a Cubs fan, but this was just way too hilarious. Nailed it!

GP
09-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Maybe somebody didn't want a good replacement waiting in the wings. Former head coaches could be dangerous to current ones. I posted in another thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1263064&postcount=21) that this team had to go out of its way to build such a cast of non-threatening nobodies on such a large coaching staff. McNair had to see that condition develop.

Maybe it wasn't even deliberate...just a desire for "cohesion" or "unity" or some other buzzword for nobody looming larger than our soft-spoken first-time head coach.

I sure hope some other letters being written to McNair have some resumes attached to them.

Funny, I had that same opinion awhile back and got laughed off the board.

"Does hiring Mike Sherman seem like Kubiak avoiding big-time coaches?"

Mike was just passing through. The token "one year as an assistant before heading off to college head coach" gig.

Gary has a complex. He could have tried to go after really good coaches, but that wouldn't make him the smartest guy in the room anymore. Before we went on our big run last season, I was like "Kubiak is done." Then he somehow gets to 8-8, and I thought he had pulled off the amazing Houdini of all time. Dude's gonna' make it. I don't know how he did it, but now we can have a great draft and start the season off strong.

Then the draft happened. Which I didn't like at all, other than Cushing. I felt rounds 2, 3 and 4 were wasted.

The draft, after round 1, was weak as hell if we're all being honest. In no particular order:

1. Outside of Cushing, there's nobody who is contributing a damn thing right now. The word "potential" is a cop out for "I gambled and lost."

2. No studly defensive back who is stepping up. Hell, a whole stable of defensive backs who have been drafted for the past three years and none of them can change games on their own.

3. No pass rushing wizard. Just a Jason Babin, Jr. who shines in camp and preseason against 3rd stringers.

4. Some guy named Caldwell who's not good enough to challenge or overtake the other linemen yet.

5. Two freaking tight ends. TWO. One who's on crutches. The other inactive.

Then we get laughed out of our own stadium against the Jets.

We pucker our butt cheeks and squeeze out a bizarre win against the Titans, when the two Jacoby Jones plays could have just as easily gone against us if things happened just a bit differently. Collins fumbled the ball, and some on here were just sure things had changed.

I spent all off-season hoping and begging everyone here to not predict gloom and doom. Just wait and see before saying "we're going to suck."

Well, this team is a vacuum cleaner of people's souls right now.

JDizzle
09-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Dan Reeves!

Just kidding ... Or am I? Curious isn't it ...

Mr. White
10-01-2009, 10:17 AM

Mike was just passing through. The token "one year as an assistant before heading off to college head coach" gig.

Gary has a complex. He could have tried to go after really good coaches, but that wouldn't make him the smartest guy in the room anymore. Before we went on our big run last season, I was like "Kubiak is done." Then he somehow gets to 8-8, and I thought he had pulled off the amazing Houdini of all time. Dude's gonna' make it. I don't know how he did it, but now we can have a great draft and start the season off strong.

I remember when he was putting this staff together we were all wondering WTF he was thinking. These guys had no credentials. Then the guys got replaced by other guys that weren't upgrades.

I think it points to the fact that Kubiak's a micro-manager just like Shanahan was at Denver. It's possible that he runs his team differently than Shanahan did, but i haven't seen any evidence of it.

I think that we'll know for sure after he's gone.

HOU-TEX
10-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I read on PFT that Holmgren is probably going to end up in Washington.

I would rank potential coaches I would like to see coach the Texans like this

1.Holmgren
2.Gruden
3. Bilick

I am one that is hoping and praying Kubiak can right this ship. I'm still on Kubiaks side.....for now. I mentioned long ago, during SmithDC's 2nd season that the defense would eventually cost Kubiak his job. After whacking Smith I thought for sure he saved his job for a couple few years. If Bush can't get this crap straight it'll be him that ruins Kubiaks HC career.

All that said, I'd take Holmgren in a heart beat. As much as I love Grude's personality, I'd have to pass on him as a HC. No freakin way on Billick.

Vinny
10-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I can't see this team hiring a fat guy coach like Rex Ryan if Kubiak can't keep this together. They prefer "marketable" good looking guys, preferably with local connections. I'm thinking Andre Ware may be the next guy in line.

PS - please turn on your sarcasm meters for this post, I think.

Silver Oak
10-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I can't see this team hiring a fat guy coach like Rex Ryan if Kubiak can't keep this together. They prefer "marketable" good looking guys, preferably with local connections. I'm thinking Andre Ware may be the next guy in line.

I'll take Toro as coach before Andre Ware thank you.

Cjeremy635
10-01-2009, 11:08 AM
On the news yesterday, Bob Allan stated that McNair was as mad as anyone had ever seen him after the loss on Sunday (according to sources close to Mr. McNair). What that means....who knows? Regardless, I thought it was worth posting on here what was said. I would like to have been a fly on the wall when he talked to Kubiak.

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I am one that is hoping and praying Kubiak can right this ship. I'm still on Kubiaks side.....for now. I mentioned long ago, during SmithDC's 2nd season that the defense would eventually cost Kubiak his job. After whacking Smith I thought for sure he saved his job for a couple few years. If Bush can't get this crap straight it'll be him that ruins Kubiaks HC career.

All that said, I'd take Holmgren in a heart beat. As much as I love Grude's personality, I'd have to pass on him as a HC. No freakin way on Billick.

I agree with you that if Bush doesn't get the ship righted it's going to cost Kubes his job and Smith should be right behind him out the door.

I cant believe nobody in the FO (McNair, Smith) didn't tell Kubes that it might be a good idea to hire an expeienced DC. Because the defense had done nothing and in fact was putrid all 3 yrs that Bush was on staff.

The no good DC wanted to come here is a cop out.

A DC will go where the money is. You may have to over pay to get a Williams, Nolan or R.Ryan but you're just having to pay for sins of DC's past.

McNair took the cheap route by approving the hiring of Bush.

This is not really that suprising given the hiring practices of the current regime and the CC regime.

Holmgren would be my 1st choice also but Gruden and Billick woud be good fall back plans. They have proven they can atleast put together a first rate asst. coaching staff.

This is something that neither the Smithiak or CC regimes have been able to do.

I wonder if their is a mandate from McNair that the FO go on the cheap when they are hiring asst. coaches?

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 11:41 AM

If Andre Ware is hired to any coaching position that will be the last straw with this Texan fan.

HoustonFrog
10-01-2009, 11:57 AM
I agree with you that if Bush doesn't get the ship righted it's going to cost Kubes his job and Smith should be right behind him out the door.

I cant believe nobody in the FO (McNair, Smith) didn't tell Kubes that it might be a good idea to hire an expeienced DC. Because the defense had done nothing and in fact was putrid all 3 yrs that Bush was on staff.

That is the problem. Obviously they like to hire "their guys" whether that be coworkers, ex-coworkers, Denver people, etc. When you work with a guy like Bush for 3 years, despite the failures, Kubiak sees "young and energetic" and probably thinks the guy can get through to players, etc. It isn't like looking at someone from the outside where you are picking out pros and cons. You just see a guy who you like and who you think is smart and can do a job. When you are "giving someone a shot" because of what you see day to day and not stepping back and looking at the landscape, then you get in trouble.

If I was partner in a firm and need a toxic tort litigator and I had a friend who I was close to and who used to do the work but hadn't taken on a full case load, I might look at him to help me. I might think it is great that I know his work and that, though he hasn't carried a full load of toxic tort work, he is smart and we can easily work with each other. My smartest move though would probably be to find a lateral hire from a big firm who has that exact experience I am looking for and who can come right in and take over the full load. I might have to pay him a pretty penny to leave his job but he would get the job done.

False Start
10-01-2009, 11:58 AM

With all the bust the Texans have had recently, he would fight right in. :shades:

HOU-TEX
10-01-2009, 12:24 PM

The no good DC wanted to come here is a cop out.

A DC will go where the money is. You may have to over pay to get a Williams, Nolan or R.Ryan but you're just having to pay for sins of DC's past.

McNair took the cheap route by approving the hiring of Bush.

This is not really that suprising given the hiring practices of the current regime and the CC regime.

Holmgren would be my 1st choice also but Gruden and Billick woud be good fall back plans. They have proven they can atleast put together a first rate asst. coaching staff.

This is something that neither the Smithiak or CC regimes have been able to do.

I wonder if their is a mandate from McNair that the FO go on the cheap when they are hiring asst. coaches?

I think the "McNair going the cheap route" is BS. I think McNair spends whatever he needs to do in order to get what the coach and GM want. We currently employ to most coaches in the league (or close to it).

Y'all can blame McNair for hiring Smith and Kubiak if you wish, but accusing him of being cheap is ludicrous.

Double Barrel
10-01-2009, 12:25 PM

Or Wade Philips after Jerrah fires him this season. What a connection to the Houston football past!

yeah, I guess I'm being sarcastic...sorta'...

On the news yesterday, Bob Allan stated that McNair was as mad as anyone had ever seen him after the loss on Sunday (according to sources close to Mr. McNair). What that means....who knows? Regardless, I thought it was worth posting on here what was said. I would like to have been a fly on the wall when he talked to Kubiak.

I can see it. They sullied the record of his favorite uniform combination. We used to really play well in the red unitards, and now, gosh dern razzle frazzle! :butterfly:

Mr. White
10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I think the "McNair going the cheap route" is BS. I think McNair spends whatever he needs to do in order to get what the coach and GM want. We currently employ to most coaches in the league (or close to it).

Y'all can blame McNair for hiring Smith and Kubiak if you wish, but accusing him of being cheap is ludicrous.

I agree. I don't think it has much to do with McNair being cheap as much as it has to do with Kubiak being a control freak.

When McNair hired Casserly, I doubt he went cheap on that one.

Double Barrel
10-01-2009, 12:33 PM

I tend to agree that it's not about money. I think it's the bigger issue of coaches not being interesting in working for a perpetual bottom dwelling team like the Texans. I doesn't matter how much money you throw at a guy if they don't want to come here.

HOU-TEX
10-01-2009, 12:43 PM
I tend to agree that it's not about money. I think it's the bigger issue of coaches not being interesting in working for a perpetual bottom dwelling team like the Texans. I doesn't matter how much money you throw at a guy if they don't want to come here.

That could very well be true, but I think the Rams and Lions reeled in a couple of the top coaching candidates this offseason. If you're speaking of known HC's that have seen success in the league (i.e. Holmgren, Cowher, Grudes, etc.), then I could definitely see that as being true.

In the end, I just wish the McNair is cheap talk would stop. We don't know how the coaching payroll compares to teams around the league, nor do we know what goes on behind the scenes in out FO.

badboy
10-01-2009, 12:50 PM
I say Mike HOlmgren!Former Oiler coach said of an opponent coach, "He can take his players and beat you or take your players and beat his". I think he was refering to Chuck Noll. That is the type caoch I hope Kubes becomes.

HoustonFrog
10-01-2009, 12:50 PM
That could very well be true, but I think the Rams and Lions reeled in a couple of the top coaching candidates this offseason. If you're speaking of known HC's that have seen success in the league (i.e. Holmgren, Cowher, Grudes, etc.), then I could definitely see that as being true.

In the end, I just wish the McNair is cheap talk would stop. We don't know how the coaching payroll compares to teams around the league, nor do we know what goes on behind the scenes in out FO.

I just wanted to say that in my 2 paragraphs above, with the law firm example, I wasn't implying he was cheap, just that sometimes you have to go outside the "family" and pay a little more to get the right person.

HoustonFrog
10-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Former Oiler coach said of an opponent coach, "He can take his players and beat you or take your players and beat his". I think he was refering to Chuck Noll. That is the type caoch I hope Kubes becomes.

Or he can take the other teams players, take the blame for their sloppy play and say they will do better next time.

badboy
10-01-2009, 12:55 PM

Then the draft happened. Which I didn't like at all, other than Cushing. I felt rounds 2, 3 and 4 were wasted.

The draft, after round 1, was weak as hell if we're all being honest. In no particular order:

1. Outside of Cushing, there's nobody who is contributing a damn thing right now. The word "potential" is a cop out for "I gambled and lost."

2. No studly defensive back who is stepping up. Hell, a whole stable of defensive backs who have been drafted for the past three years and none of them can change games on their own.

3. No pass rushing wizard. Just a Jason Babin, Jr. who shines in camp and preseason against 3rd stringers.

4. Some guy named Caldwell who's not good enough to challenge or overtake the other linemen yet.

5. Two freaking tight ends. TWO. One who's on crutches. The other inactive.

Then we get laughed out of our own stadium against the Jets.

We pucker our butt cheeks and squeeze out a bizarre win against the Titans, when the two Jacoby Jones plays could have just as easily gone against us if things happened just a bit differently. Collins fumbled the ball, and some on here were just sure things had changed.

I spent all off-season hoping and begging everyone here to not predict gloom and doom. Just wait and see before saying "we're going to suck."

Well, this team is a vacuum cleaner of people's souls right now.I thought the Texans were able to get "up" for Titans. I wonder what would have happened if they had played the Jets again instead of Tenn?

HOU-TEX
10-01-2009, 12:58 PM
I just wanted to say that in my 2 paragraphs above, with the law firm example, I wasn't implying he was cheap, just that sometimes you have to go outside the "family" and pay a little more to get the right person.

And how do we know he wouldn't do just that? Like I said, you can blame him for hiring Kubiak and Smith if you wish, but blaming him for what he's willing to pay coaches is ridiculous.

I think it's well known that McNair admittedly didn't know much about football. It is his responsibility to hire the right people to make the football decisions.

HoustonFrog
10-01-2009, 01:13 PM
And how do we know he wouldn't do just that? Like I said, you can blame him for hiring Kubiak and Smith if you wish, but blaming him for what he's willing to pay coaches is ridiculous.

I think it's well known that McNair admittedly didn't know much about football. It is his responsibility to hire the right people to make the football decisions.

Again, I'm not saying he wouldn't. My example was meant to illustrate that sometimes when you are in a day to day operation or relationship with someone it is easy to overlook what you need for the good of yourself and the team, or in my example, the firm, because you believe you see the attributes that make someone a good choice. There is a comfort and you think you know what they can do. You might skip that they don't have the experience because you are substituting your own attributes on the person. The reality is that you might end up paying more to laterally hire or hire someone but if you do it with open eyes you might make a better choice for your situation. This example was more geared towards Kubes/Smith than McNair but McNair would still fit and has veto power.

disaacks3
10-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Former Oiler coach said of an opponent coach, "He can take his players and beat you or take your players and beat his". I think he was refering to Chuck Noll. That is the type caoch I hope Kubes becomes. That quote goes back to Bear Bryant.

Double Barrel
10-01-2009, 01:21 PM

yep. Charlie Palillo had a conversation about this subject the other day, and he had the same take. McNair paid mega-bucks for this franchise, has more coaches on staff than any other NFL team, so it doesn't make sense that he's cutting corners on paying them.

I've been slightly critical of McNair for his 'marketing first' approach, but I can't start slamming him for things that are pure speculation. He's not a meddlesome owner (maybe with HWSNBN, but even then it's speculation), and he doesn't appear to be cheap. The marketing angle is undeniable, simple because we - the fans - are the target for it.

If anything, McNair is naive as an owner in the sense that he wants a 'Cinderella story' for his franchise and seems to shy away from players with any kind of tainted past. But that could be attributable to the marketing, as well, considering how much public perception of a franchise plays into selling it.

Second Honeymoon
10-01-2009, 01:22 PM
since it seems this thread has turned into a coaching change thread, here are a few observations

Cowher - Best guy out there but probably heading to Panthers, Cowboys, or Skins. Little chance.

Shanahan - Wouldn't happen for obvious reasons.

Holmgren - Has already gone on the record that he wants to coach in 2010 and preferably East Coast. Dude is going to be coaching Skins sooner rather than later. Maybe the Cowboys but very doubtful.

Billick - I think he would take the job in a heartbeat but he is an offensive coach that has struggled doing his job. Did a good job hiring defensive coordinators but I give most of that credit to Ozzie Newsome.

Wade Phillips - Would have been a better choice than Kubiak in 2006 but probably not a good fit now.

John Fox - Not a bad coach at all and would be my fall back plan over Billick and Phillips.

JOHN GRUDEN - This is the guy that I think we need as our new head coach if we can't lure Cowher or Holmgren. He is young, he is fiery, he demands dedication from his players, he isn't afraid to speak his mind, and for some reason he strikes me as the best of the 2nd tier candidates.

Gruden has had a lot of success everywhere he has gone and its pretty obvious that Gruden wasn't the problem in Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay was competitive last year with Gruden, this year they are an abomination. That tells me all I need to know. He turned the Raiders into a winner and then one year after he left, they sucked. He turned the Bucs from an also-ran to an NFL Champion in his first year...with BRAD JOHNSON as his QB and not a lot of star power in his backfield or at WR.

He also doesn't put up with BS from players like Keyshawn. He made Keyshawn sit out a whole year and basically ended his career because he was being a cancer. Guaranteed he would've benched Dunta's sorry arse for his shoes and wouldn't act like he didn't notice it after the game. I think he is the perfect fit if you can't get a Cowher. I would actually lean towards Gruden over Holmgren.

Call me crazy, but something tells me that Gruden is the guy to take us to the promised land. it sure as hell isn't the flatlining loser named Kubiak.

infantrycak
10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Gruden has had a lot of success everywhere he has gone and its pretty obvious that Gruden wasn't the problem in Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay was competitive last year with Gruden, this year they are an abomination. That tells me all I need to know. He turned the Raiders into a winner and then one year after he left, they sucked. He turned the Bucs from an also-ran to an NFL Champion in his first year...with BRAD JOHNSON as his QB and not a lot of star power in his backfield or at WR.

So Gruden gets credit both for the Raiders and Tampa even though Callahan got the Raiders in the SB and Dungy built Tampa - and then they went in the tank.

it sure as hell isn't the flatlining loser named Kubiak.

Flatline he is not. More like every year is a 180. Plus I hate they way he collects/selects QB's. His judgment is so poor in that regard it is incredible.

Texan_Bill
10-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Former Oiler coach said of an opponent coach, "He can take his players and beat you or take your players and beat his". I think he was refering to Chuck Noll. That is the type caoch I hope Kubes becomes.

Bum was referring to Paul "Bear" Bryant: "Bear Bryant could take his地 and beat your地, or he could take your地 and beat his地."

;)

ChampionTexan
10-01-2009, 01:57 PM
So Gruden gets credit both for the Raiders and Tampa even though Callahan got the Raiders in the SB and Dungy built Tampa - and then they went in the tank.

Flatline he is not. More like every year is a 180. Plus I hate they way he collects/selects QB's. His judgment is so poor in that regard it is incredible.

Gruden went 57-55 in the regular season with the Bucs - that's 45-51 without the Super Bowl winning season. That record also includes 12-20 in the two years immediately following the Super Bowl win. He never went to the playoffs two years in a row with the Bucs, and if you're going to give him credit for the Super Bowl season in Oakland (which you should), then he's got to get some of the blame for this season's Buccaneers.

Certainly not bad, but not as overwhelmingly good as his supporters would have you believe.

badboy
10-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Bum was referring to Paul "Bear" Bryant: "Bear Bryant could take his地 and beat your地, or he could take your地 and beat his地."

;)Thanks TB that stirred my memory banks. I believe Bum was on Bear's staff in his early days as were many other coaches. I still have a fondness for Phillips. I saw his picture on a Blue Ribbon billboard ad yesterday on 45 and it brought back many smiles. Man if we just had a power back of Earl Campbell's ability running behind Leach. I wonder why Tyler has not produced any more "Roses"?:thinking:

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 02:05 PM

We dont know McNairs mandates or how much the coaching staff makes in relation to other teams in the NFL.

We do know in the 4 yrs of this regime Kubes has been the HC-OC until this year. This saves McNair money by not having to hire an OC (I know Shanny was the OC last year. I wonder how much of a raise Shanny got when he was promoted from WR coach to OC) Point is we have a very young OC.

Bush being a first year DC is probably working on the cheap.

There can only be 1-2 things that are the problem.

1. Kubes doesn't want to hire anybody who makes him feel like Kubes isn't the smartest guy in the room. This also gives Kubes job security for this year.
2. McNair has a mandate that Kubes goes on the cheap when hiring asst. coaches. If this isn't true McNair should have stepped in and said no we're going to hire the best staff possible regardless of the cost, because the great fans of the HOUSTON TEXANS have stood behind us through thick and thin and they deserve the best staff money can by GARY.

McNair didn't do this and therefore showed a lack of leadership. IMO

One thing you can count on though is that UNCLE BoB is making his money and will continue to do so regardless of the product that's put on the field.

Thorn
10-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Gruden, in my opinion, is more of a "character" than a coach. He'll not end up coaching the Texans as long as McNair is still breathing.

Kubiac has done wonders with that pathetic offense we used to field. He's missed the boat on the defense though. Is that enough to fire him? Or just force him to hire a 1st rate defensive coordinator? And how much of all this is Kubiac, or Rick Smith, or both?

HOU-TEX
10-01-2009, 02:09 PM
We dont know McNairs mandates or how much the coaching staff makes in relation to other teams in the NFL.

We do know in the 4 yrs of this regime Kubes has been the HC-OC until this year. This saves McNair money by not having to hire an OC (I know Shanny was the OC last year. I wonder how much of a raise Shanny got when he was promoted from WR coach to OC) Point is we have a very young OC.

1. Kubes doesn't want to hire anybody who makes him feel like Kubes isn't the smartest guy in the room. This also gives Kubes job security for this year.
2. McNair has a mandate that Kubes goes on the cheap when hiring asst. coaches. If this isn't true McNair should have stepped in and said no we're going to hire the best staff possible regardless of the cost, because the great fans of the HOUSTON TEXANS have stood behind us through thick and thin and they deserve the best staff money can by GARY.

One thing you can count on though is that UNCLE BoB is making his money and will continue to do so regardless of the product that's put on the field.

I'm sorry, but this logic is so whacked I'm not even going to respond to it. I'm sure SH will agree with you though. LOL

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 02:20 PM
since it seems this thread has turned into a coaching change thread, here are a few observations

Cowher - Best guy out there but probably heading to Panthers, Cowboys, or Skins. Little chance.

Shanahan - Wouldn't happen for obvious reasons.

Holmgren - Has already gone on the record that he wants to coach in 2010 and preferably East Coast. Dude is going to be coaching Skins sooner rather than later. Maybe the Cowboys but very doubtful.

Billick - I think he would take the job in a heartbeat but he is an offensive coach that has struggled doing his job. Did a good job hiring defensive coordinators but I give most of that credit to Ozzie Newsome.

Wade Phillips - Would have been a better choice than Kubiak in 2006 but probably not a good fit now.

John Fox - Not a bad coach at all and would be my fall back plan over Billick and Phillips.

JOHN GRUDEN - This is the guy that I think we need as our new head coach if we can't lure Cowher or Holmgren. He is young, he is fiery, he demands dedication from his players, he isn't afraid to speak his mind, and for some reason he strikes me as the best of the 2nd tier candidates.

He also doesn't put up with BS from players like Keyshawn. He made Keyshawn sit out a whole year and basically ended his career because he was being a cancer. Guaranteed he would've benched Dunta's sorry arse for his shoes and wouldn't act like he didn't notice it after the game. I think he is the perfect fit if you can't get a Cowher. I would actually lean towards Gruden over Holmgren.

Call me crazy, but something tells me that Gruden is the guy to take us to the promised land. it sure as hell isn't the flatlining loser named Kubiak.

If Fox gets fired he would be on my short list but my short listdoesn't count.

Gruden would be at the top of my short list too for all of the reasons you listed above. Plus the fact that Gruden runs a WC offense and the personell is already in place to run the WC offense. This is the same reason Holmgren should be at the top of the list.

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm sorry, but this logic is so whacked I'm not even going to respond to it. I'm sure SH will agree with you though. LOL

This is a blanket statement.

I think you should show me where my logic is whacked.

What did I type that wasn't true?

Kubes being insecure?

Hiring young coordinators on the cheap?

McNair making boatloads of money and putting a crappy product on the field?
or
McNairs lack of leadership?

Once again I will ask you what is wacked about my thought process?

HOU-TEX
10-01-2009, 02:36 PM
This is a blanket statement.

I think you should show me where my logic is whacked.

What did I type that wasn't true?

Kubes being insecure?

Hiring young coordinators on the cheap?

McNair making boatloads of money and putting a crappy product on the field?
or
McNairs lack of leadership?

Once again I will ask you what is wacked about my thought process?

All of the above. All speculative, at best. Again, nobody has a clue of what goes on in the FO. Y'all are reaching to find reasons.

ChampionTexan
10-01-2009, 02:37 PM

It's also not accurate as Kubiak has always had an OC. Starting with Troy Calhoun in year one, moving on to Mike Sherman in year two, and of course Li'l Shanny last year and this year.

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 02:54 PM
It's also not accurate as Kubiak has always had an OC. Starting with Troy Calhoun in year one, moving on to Mike Sherman in year two, and of course Li'l Shanny last year and this year.

Yes but Kubes has run the offense until this year and after the Jets game I'm not sure that he didn't reclaim those responsabilities. (I know this is speculation)

Kubes has always hired 1st year OC's Calhoun, Shanny.
and DC's

D.Smith, F.Bush

Do you think the OC's come cheaper than say Tom Moore or Jason Garrett for instance.
or

The DC's come cheaper than vets like Monte Kiffin or Jim Johnson RIP for instance?

Texan_Bill
10-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Since you sit in all of these FO meetings, what's the word on Dunta? Are they really going to try and resign him once they're allowed to negotiate again? :cow:

Texecutioner
10-01-2009, 03:10 PM

That is not true. The very next year Callahan got them into the SB. Gruden inherited a great defense that went nuts and the offense he ran in Tampa never got better. I don't like to see coaches that have one side of the ball successful but fail to ever improve the other like Billick never could in Baltimore and like Kubes never has here. Gruden was the same way over there.

That's where your wrong though. Gruden became completely hated by his players in Tampa. I've talked to a lot of Tampa fans, and they said over and over about how many players would leave Tampa and talk about how Gruden was a big reason and how they couldn't stand him. Gruden does not get along well with his players. Hell, just last season he had that stupid problem with him in Garcia and Garcia was benched after he was playing quite well in the middle of the season. Gruden put his ego before the entire team. Plus, the guy was going nuts every year over there playing with his QB's like they were toys of his. He never could change his mind with his QB's man. It was ridiculous.

I don't want Gruden at all. Not after all of the stuff that I heard from Tampa and how players hated playing for the guy. He got his SB and all and I'll credit him for doing what Dungy couldn't but after that he got nowhere with that team other than a one and done like twice where his offense was always awful and that defense carried that team.

Cowher isn't coming here, and after that I think the most easy best choice is Holmgren. His players seem to like him, and he seems to do well with his QB's, and has been to the SB with two different teams and won one of them.

badboy
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Since you sit in all of these FO meetings, what's the word on Dunta? Are they really going to try and resign him once they're allowed to negotiate again? :cow:Bob McNair just called me on my secret personal line to tell me something BIG is going to happen. I'd tell you but you know the rest. If it happens, I'll take the credit of course. If not, I'll blame John McClain.

Texan_Bill
10-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Bob McNair just called me on my secret personal line to tell me something BIG is going to happen. I'd tell you but you know the rest. If it happens, I'll take the credit of course. If not, I'll blame John McClain.

Just be sure to keep all of TexansTalk in the loop. :turtle:

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 03:20 PM
All of the above. All speculative, at best. Again, nobody has a clue of what goes on in the FO. Y'all are reaching to find reasons.

1. Kubes being insecure is speculative but his asst. coaching hires make me believe this is true.
2. Do you believe our OC (Shanny makes more or less than Tom Moore Colts or Jason Garrett Cowboys?) You have to pay top notch asst.coaches. or

Bush makes more than (M.Kiffin or RIP Jim Johnson did) he** Kiffin makes more in rocky top than Bush makes working for McNair) check the facts for yourself I've got neither the time nor inclination to spend time looking this up but have seen the salaries of Garrett and Kiffin recently.
3. McNair is making a boatload of money. This is not even debatable. The Houston Texans are the 6th most profitable franchise in the NFL down 1 spt from last year due to the Cowgirls new football palace. I believe I read this in Forbes.
4. McNairs lack of leadership is speculative. I believe that his leadership of the marketing/business side of football is unquestionably top notch as seen by the profits he is raking in regardless of the football team that's put on the field.

As far as FO personel decisions he has made I believe he's either cheap or doesn't know what the he** he's doing or doesn't care about the product that is being put on the field as long as he is making money. But until the Texans put a consistently winning team on the field color me skeptical.

barrett
10-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes but Kubes has run the offense until this year and after the Jets game I'm not sure that he didn't reclaim those responsabilities. (I know this is speculation)

Not only is it speculation but it's fairly safe to say that it's inaccurate. Based on the fact that Shannahan doesn't stand right next to Kubiak but Kyle does call in the play via headset and Kubiak can be seen not talking in the headset before the play, it is safe to speculate that in fact, for the most part, Kubiak has not taken back those responsibilities. If they were standing side by side and Kubiak was talking to Shannahan directly but Kyle was sending it in that would be one thing but that doesn't appear to be how it's playing out.

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Not only is it speculation but it's fairly safe to say that it's inaccurate. Based on the fact that Shannahan doesn't stand right next to Kubiak but Kyle does call in the play via headset and Kubiak can be seen not talking in the headset before the play, it is safe to speculate that in fact, for the most part, Kubiak has not taken back those responsibilities. If they were standing side by side and Kubiak was talking to Shannahan directly but Kyle was sending it in that would be one thing but that doesn't appear to be how it's playing out.

Agreed

We dont know this was just speculation on my part. I hope Shanny is calling the plays and Kubes is concentrating on trying to help Bush with this historically bad defense.

Double Barrel
10-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Perhaps there is a third reason that is much simpler: coaches don't want to come to Houston. It's not like the Texans are some kind of football Mecca rich in winning tradition...

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Since you sit in all of these FO meetings, what's the word on Dunta? Are they really going to try and resign him once they're allowed to negotiate again? :cow:

Smith said he hates Duntas guts because Dunta ripped some of the Teflon off of him.

LOL

HOU-TEX
10-01-2009, 03:37 PM
1. Kubes being insecure is speculative but his asst. coaching hires make me believe this is true.
2. Do you believe our OC (Shanny makes more or less than Tom Moore Colts or Jason Garrett Cowboys?) You have to pay top notch asst.coaches. or

Bush makes more than (M.Kiffin or RIP Jim Johnson did) he** Kiffin makes more in rocky top than Bush makes working for McNair) check the facts for yourself I've got neither the time nor inclination to spend time looking this up but have seen the salaries of Garrett and Kiffin recently.
3. McNair is making a boatload of money. This is not even debatable. The Houston Texans are the 6th most profitable franchise in the NFL down 1 spt from last year due to the Cowgirls new football palace. I believe I read this in Forbes.
4. McNairs lack of leadership is speculative. I believe that his leadership of the marketing/business side of football is unquestionably top notch as seen by the profits he is raking in regardless of the football team that's put on the field.

As far as FO personel decisions he has made I believe he's either cheap or doesn't know what the he** he's doing or doesn't care about the product that is being put on the field as long as he is making money. But until the Texans put a consistently winning team on the field color me skeptical.

Okay, this will be my final response to you regarding McNair.

1. I'm not sure what would make Kubiak insecure to begin with. Coaches taking his job? He did bring Sherman in as an asst coach. Other than that, I reckon almost every coach in the NFL has some sense of insecurity.

2. What does this have to do with McNair not spending money? Kubiak and Smith made the decisions for OC and DC, not McNair. I have no doubt McNair would've ponied up if they wanted the more experienced coach.

3. Yes, McNair is rich, and?

4. No comment. lol

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Perhaps there is a third reason that is much simpler: coaches don't want to come to Houston. It's not like the Texans are some kind of football Mecca rich in winning tradition...

This is true.

But most asst.coaches follow the money

Kiffin came to Tampa with Dungy when they were lousy.

G.Williams went to Washinton where he was the highest paid DC in the league. In spite of having to work for Snyder. These are two examples. There are many more.

If Kubes cant lure quality asst.coaches then he should quit/be fired now.

If McNair is unwilling to pay for quality asst.coaches this team is going nowhere fast and will be losing support/fans in short order.

Double Barrel
10-01-2009, 03:48 PM
This is true.

But most asst.coaches follow the money

Kiffin came to Tampa with Dungy when they were lousy.

G.Williams went to Washinton where he was the highest paid DC in the league. In spite of having to work for Snyder. These are two examples. There are many more.

If Kubes cant lure quality asst.coaches then he should quit/be fired now.

If McNair is unwilling to pay for quality asst.coaches this team is going nowhere fast and will be losing support/fans in short order.

True on your examples, but you also have to look big picture and see what coaches see, which is the FO staff that helps them evaluate talent, work contracts, and run the overall franchise operations.

Vinny has mentioned each year that we have retained Bobby Grier as our Associate Director of Pro Personnel. This is part of the scouting staff that does talent evaluations. This guy was with New England before they started winning. Once he was gone, the Patriots became a winning powerhouse.

We've had him the entire 8 years, and the results are obvious with many dubious players ending up here making way too much money with very little positive results.

For all we know, a coach like Greg Williams gets a call from the Texans, is given a fantastic financial offer, but he looks big picture and wants nothing to do with whatever aspects of the team. Obviously, this is hypothetical on my part, but I'm just providing a scenario.

Point being, it's more than just the head coach for assistants. Staff, tradition, and overall operations can play parts in decisions, as well.

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Okay, this will be my final response to you regarding McNair.

1. I'm not sure what would make Kubiak insecure to begin with. Coaches taking his job? He did bring Sherman in as an asst coach. Other than that, I reckon almost every coach in the NFL has some sense of insecurity.

2. What does this have to do with McNair not spending money? Kubiak and Smith made the decisions for OC and DC, not McNair. I have no doubt McNair would've ponied up if they wanted the more experienced coach.

3. Yes, McNair is rich, and?

4. No comment. lol

No2. Is speculative on your part as well. I'm sure McNair has a budget guideline for Smithiak to stay within when hiring asst. coaches. It appears to be a much lower budget than what I would like to see. When you look at the asst.coaching hires that have been made.

Where we disagree is that You dont think Smithiak have budget guidelines from McNair and I think he has guidelines.

The worst kind of manager in business to work for is the kind that says you have total control. So you bring in a new guy and the boss (McNair in this case) says you cant hire him because he (players) has bad moral character or (Asst.Coaches) want to much money.

In a way I kinda feel sympathy for Kubes.

Mr. White
10-01-2009, 04:11 PM
All this talk about speculation is kinda funny.

I think it's equally speculative to assume that all these guys are actually performing the jobs that their title implies. It seems like a lot of job responsibilities in this organizations bleed into others. And the team isn't real forthcoming with those kinds of details.

Speculation's all we got until we hear otherwise.

GP
10-01-2009, 04:11 PM

And Calhoun moved on to Air Force to be a HC.

And Sherman moved on to A&M to be a HC.

Which leaves Kyle Shanahan.

Two guys leave to become college head coaches, instead of staying to be a part of an NFL team.

And one guy remains (Kyle) who is cursed with being Mike Shanahan's kid, and being young and unproven/new all at the same time.

Maybe Kubiak just sucks at managing people? Kyle doesn't care because all he sees is an OC position at a very young age awaiting him. You can look over a lot of issues when you get a shot at something that you might not normally get.

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 04:12 PM
DB

In the offseaso I called for D.Smith, Hoke, Riley and Greir to be fired.

With Greirs track record in FA personel how he still has a job is beyond me.

Greir will be Smithiaks albatross IMO

If Greir is responsible for the Texans not being able to get quality asst.coaches along with his track record of FA suggestions to Smith. He should have been let go a long time ago or never hire in the first place.

Why anybody associated with the CC regime is still employed by the Texans is beyond me.

This is another example of a lack of leadership within the Texans organization. IMO

GP
10-01-2009, 04:18 PM
All this talk about speculation is kinda funny.

I think it's equally speculative to assume that all these guys are actually performing the jobs that their title implies. It seems like a lot of job responsibilities in this organizations bleed into others. And the team isn't real forthcoming with those kinds of details.

Speculation's all we got until we hear otherwise.

You think it's that way in NFL organizations where they are winners on an annual basis? I bet it's not.

I bet that Eagles team defense under Jim Johnson was ran by Jim Johnson, and everybody on that defensive staff did what Jim Johnson said. And I bet there were clear-cut definitions and rules and ways of doing things.

That's how all these "coaching trees" begin producing marketable head coaches: Whoever is in charge of the football side of operations knows exactly what to do and expects it to be done to the letter.

It took Bill Belichick a long time to accumulate all the things he now employs at New England. But once he figured it all out, it's like a science.

I don't sense that in the Texans organization. I sense a screwed up front office and owner, for that matter, which has clouded this franchise since its inception. I see lots of people who think McNair doesn't have his hands involved in the football side of operations, but I am wondering if he and some other higher-ups might not just be monkeying with this team more than we know.

And the fact that this team is more secretive than the CIA only makes me believe it more.

It might not matter WHO the coach of this team is.

Just because the marketing side looks good, doesn't mean things are functioning correctly on the football operations side. Obviously.

GP
10-01-2009, 04:28 PM
My letter to Bob McNair would be in a brown paper sack, lit on fire, and thrown onto his front porch at about 9:00 at night.

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 04:37 PM
You think it's that way in NFL organizations where they are winners on an annual basis? I bet it's not.

I bet that Eagles team defense under Jim Johnson was ran by Jim Johnson, and everybody on that defensive staff did what Jim Johnson said. And I bet there were clear-cut definitions and rules and ways of doing things.

That's how all these "coaching trees" begin producing marketable head coaches: Whoever is in charge of the football side of operations knows exactly what to do and expects it to be done to the letter.

It took Bill Belichick a long time to accumulate all the things he now employs at New England. But once he figured it all out, it's like a science.

I don't sense that in the Texans organization. I sense a screwed up front office and owner, for that matter, which has clouded this franchise since its inception. I see lots of people who think McNair doesn't have his hands involved in the football side of operations, but I am wondering if he and some other higher-ups might not just be monkeying with this team more than we know.

And the fact that this team is more secretive than the CIA only makes me believe it more.

It might not matter WHO the coach of this team is.

Just because the marketing side looks good, doesn't mean things are functioning correctly on the football operations side. Obviously.

Repped

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Why McNair is beyond reproach on this MB I dont understand.

I understand that McNair brought football back to Houston and spent alot of money to do so. But he's made his money back off the hard working fans of the HOUSTON TEXANS and has given nothing back in return for this loyalty.

When the Oilers moved I was glad because they disgraced the city of Houston.

After 8 yrs the Texans still look like a laughing stock of the NFL. I've come to the conclusion that this city may never have an NFL team worthy of being proud of and isn't the joke of the NFL.

Sorry must spread the REP

Second Honeymoon
10-01-2009, 04:57 PM

i don't believe he was buying the groceries in Tampa Bay. i believe Allen was.

as for Callahan taking the Raiders to SB, that is true, but Gruden would have had them in the SB if not for the tuck rule. As for Dungy, he couldn't get them over the hump and Gruden did.

he hasn't had crap to work with re:QB in Tampa, and if you want to pin that on him that is fine. i dont know the inner workings. what i do know is that he got 2 different teams into the playoffs and they won playoff games.

he did this without a star QB in Tampa and a journeyman in Oakland (gannon) and without a star RB. he is a disciplinarian and a firebrand...two things that we desperately need.

i think Gruden is probably the best known candidate we can hope for due to other openings being probably more coveted (DC, Dallas)

once he left the Raiders it took them one year to suck. once he left err fired from Tampa they immediately sucked. i gotta give him some credit and i like his youth because if he works out here, we could have a viable long term solution.

icak, i have always respected your football IQ and i understand if you dont like Gruden. i happen to think he is the best fit and the most likely candidate that is proven....which is what we need. no more flatlining scrub rookie coaches with no heart and an aww shucks manner. i want a football coach not a deacon.

El Tejano
10-01-2009, 04:59 PM
My list goes:

Tony Dungy.

That's it. He evaluates talent real well. He is the ultimate pro and he knows how to manage a game and has been in big games as an assistant and Head Coach. I'm sure any coordinator or player would like to play for him.

However, I don't see how any of us could not assume that Mcnair would take the easy road and make Kyle Shanahan the next head coach if we continue to have a good offense. His excuse would be that Kyle runs a great scheme and is young and relates to the players real well. It would be the next Dave Shula type deal.

Second Honeymoon
10-01-2009, 05:00 PM
if Kyle Shanahan is named our head coach, i will have to take a long hiatus as Texans fan out of pure frustration. i don't think i would be the only one.

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
if Kyle Shanahan is named our head coach, i will have to take a long hiatus as Texans fan out of pure frustration. i don't think i would be the only one.

You are correct SIR

wags
10-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Vinny has mentioned each year that we have retained Bobby Grier as our Associate Director of Pro Personnel. This is part of the scouting staff that does talent evaluations. This guy was with New England before they started winning. Once he was gone, the Patriots became a winning powerhouse.

We've had him the entire 8 years, and the results are obvious with many dubious players ending up here making way too much money with very little positive results.

That's the big problem I have with McNair, he needs to learn to chop someone's nuts off after a year or two of bad production. He's too much of a softy.

dalemurphy
10-01-2009, 07:51 PM
My list goes:

Tony Dungy.

That's it. He evaluates talent real well. He is the ultimate pro and he knows how to manage a game and has been in big games as an assistant and Head Coach. I'm sure any coordinator or player would like to play for him.

However, I don't see how any of us could not assume that Mcnair would take the easy road and make Kyle Shanahan the next head coach if we continue to have a good offense. His excuse would be that Kyle runs a great scheme and is young and relates to the players real well. It would be the next Dave Shula type deal.

Bill Polian is the genius in Indy. I like Dungy as well but I'm not sure why you believe hie's a great talent evaluator. This fan base would turn on him in a second for "lacking fire", or something along those lines if he wasn't immediately successful.

Joe Texan
10-01-2009, 09:09 PM
All you Boneheads who Blame Bob just up and move to Dallas Where you belong.
Bob has nothing to do with the players except paying the paycheck.

Gary on the other hand is the Player Manager and he is not looking to much better than an Aggie with a job right now. Bob Is the one who gets it if he keeps Gary past his prime.

We want to win but it is a difficult thing when you have to play the refs as well as the other team.

Wolf
10-01-2009, 09:28 PM
My list goes:

Tony Dungy.

tony was smart enough to leave the offense alone in Indy and stay away from that and just focus on defense

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 09:32 PM
my letter to bob mcnair would be in a brown paper sack, lit on fire, and thrown onto his front porch at about 9:00 at night.

lol

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 09:38 PM
All you Bonheads who Blame Bob just up and move to Dallas Where you belong.

Gary on the other hand is the Player Manager and he is not looking to much better than an Aggie with a job right now. Bob Is the one who gets it if he keeps Gary past his prime.

We want to win but it is a difficult thing when you have to play the refs as well as the other team.

Keep on drinking the koolaid it's mmm good.

McNair is beyond reproach. 8 yrs of following the used car salesman isn't enough for you? How many years would be enough before you start saying McNair has a little culpability in this mess of a team called the Houston Texans that he created?

I'm not nor will ever be a Cowgirls fan. I'm offended. LOL

steelbtexan
10-01-2009, 09:46 PM
tony was smart enough to leave the offense alone in Indy and stay away from that and just focus on defense

Kubes has tried to do the same thing as Tony. The difference is that Jim Irsay was willing to pay for a 30 yr NFL vet. asst. coach (Tom Moore)

Kubes got stuck with two 1st year DC's (Dick Smith,Frank Bush) whether this was by Kubes design or McNairs design. There is no doubt about one thing the Texans defense has been a complete failure of historical proportions.

Second Honeymoon
10-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Kubes has tried to do the same thing as Tony. The difference is that Jim Irsay was willing to pay for a 30 yr NFL vet. asst. coach (Tom Moore)

Kubes got stuck with two 1st year DC's (Dick Smith,Frank Bush) whether this was by Kubes design or McNairs design. There is no doubt about one thing the Texans defense has been a complete failure of historical proportions.

exactly. kubes DC choices have been bottom of the barrel to say the least. if that is because of the owner wanting to save a dime? i don't know. personally, i blame Kubiak's lack of defensive coaching connections more than Bob being stingy with the money.

one thing is for sure. if the team continues to play bad defense and we continue to be a losing team, Kubiak and Bush will be in the proverbial hotseat. If it gets real bad you may see Kubiak pull a RC Slocum and fire a co-ordinator in order to save his own butt.

HoustonFrog
10-02-2009, 09:26 AM
All you Boneheads who Blame Bob just up and move to Dallas Where you belong.

Please tell me this is one big joke.

Texan_Bill
10-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Here's my letter to Bob:

Dear Bob,

Thank you for bringing professional football back to Houston. Unfortunately, since we are in our 8th season and your organization has yet to win anything, we believe it痴 time for you to sell the team. We understand that after you sell the team, it may have to be moved to another city, so we would ask that you write a check for another $700,000,000.00+ to start a new one or buy the Jaguars.

Being your second go-round, we壇 expect Bill Bellicek as the Head Coach, with Rex Ryan as the Defensive Coordinator. To satisfy your 田heap side you can hire Gary Kubiak as the offensive coordinator, because we all know how cheap you really are.

Thanks and kindest regards,

Jaguar_Bill

badboy
10-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Just be sure to keep all of TexansTalk in the loop. :turtle:Oh, we are in a loop all right. Going round and round and..

Joe Texan
10-02-2009, 11:17 AM
The big Joke is numbskulls calling out a man who shelled out all he had to bring the NFL back to Houston. The Dallas Reference was because these same numbskulls want Bob to do what Jerry does. And the refferees called the last game plain and simple, like it or not.

dalemurphy
10-02-2009, 11:22 AM
The big Joke is numbskulls calling out a man who shelled out all he had to bring the NFL back to Houston. The Dallas Reference was because these same numbskulls want Bob to do what Jerry does. And the refferees called the last game plain and simple, like it or not.

Joe, you are right about people like SH calling Bob "cheap". That's silly and he has no evidence of it. However, blaming the loss vs. Jacksonville on the refs makes you lose credibility. The refs made a couple poor/questionable calls against the Texans but it was the horrific Texan defense that was primarily to blame for that loss. The irony is, if you were a Titan fan, you'd be crying about the refs giving the game in week 2 to Houston and stealing it from your Titans.

HoustonFrog
10-02-2009, 11:36 AM

No, a joke is giving carte blanche to an owner, for bringing football back to Houston. That ship has sailed. Getting a team here was part of the battle. Now do more than make money. Secondly, the defense lost the last game. The refs helped the Texans greatly in the Tenn game on calls that could have also bene called. There are calls that could go either way in every game but they didn't give the game to Jax. The defense did and the offense in the second half did. Jump back into reality soon.

DerekLee1
10-08-2009, 03:20 PM
I got a response!! I got a response!!!

Dear Derek,
Thank you for your email and support of the Houston Texans! We appreciate your feedback regarding coach Kubiak and the team performance this season. Thank you and have a great day!

Go Texans!

Texan_Bill
10-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I got a response!! I got a response!!!

:mcnugget:

Go ahead, you can post the rest of the response.

HOU-TEX
10-08-2009, 03:33 PM
:spit: If that ain't your every day generic response I don't know what else is.

Texan_Bill
10-08-2009, 03:38 PM
To ALL employees of the Houston Texans:
When replying to emails please use the form letter below:

Dear _________,
Thank you for your email and support of the Houston Texans! We appreciate your feedback regarding _________________ and the team performance this season. Thank you and have a great day!

Go Texans!

Thanks and Kindest Regards,

El Tejano
10-08-2009, 03:40 PM
How much do they pay to fill in the blanks. I'm looking for another job and I have a computer.

DerekLee1
10-08-2009, 04:04 PM
How much do they pay to fill in the blanks. I'm looking for another job and I have a computer.

I bet they could save a ton of money by letting people do this from home instead of leasing office space. Great idea. And it's green - no pollution in driving to the office either. You're a genius.