PDA

View Full Version : Dementia Risk Seen in Players in N.F.L. Study

Double Barrel
09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Dementia Risk Seen in Players in N.F.L. Study

A study commissioned by the National Football League reports that Alzheimer’s disease or similar memory-related diseases appear to have been diagnosed in the league’s former players vastly more often than in the national population — including a rate of 19 times the normal rate for men ages 30 through 49.

Full story (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/sports/football/30dementia.html?_r=1)

It seems like a no-brainer that decades of getting hit from a young age into adulthood would eventually take it's toll on the ol' noggin. Concussions, especially among kids in pop warner and school programs, often go undiagnosed and untreated. By the time some of these guys make it to college, you've got to wonder how many some of them have experienced without knowing it.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Not only can the blows lead to dementia it can also cause severe bouts of depression. Sometimes resulting in suicide. See Andre Waters.

Dan B.
09-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah this isn't exactly shocking. News flash: Football (and Boxing -- let's face it) take years off your life. That's kind of why I don't get that upset over the Steroids thing. We've already asked them to put themselves through years of excruciating pain and permanently ruin their head, knees, legs, elbows, shoulders, or any of a hundred other body parts. But I'm supposed to be outraged over the health risks of too much estrogen?

Vinny
09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah this isn't exactly shocking. News flash: Football (and Boxing -- let's face it) take years off your life. That's kind of why I don't get that upset over the Steroids thing. We've already asked them to put themselves through years of excruciating pain and permanently ruin their head, knees, legs, elbows, shoulders, or any of a hundred other body parts. But I'm supposed to be outraged over the health risks of too much estrogen?

Roberta Andling stated in one of those Texantv videos that the average life span for a NFL lineman is 50-something. I wouldn't condone roids...I've taken them myself, seen others who are no longer with us and know they are destructive long term via first hand experience.

Double Barrel
09-30-2009, 01:18 PM

Not shocking, but it is news that the NFL finally recognized it. Like I said, it's a no-brainer, but apparently the league has been wearing blinders this whole time. I would not be surprised if their position had more to do with the issue of providing retired players with health care compensation.