PDA

View Full Version : Mario where are you at?

silvrhand
09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I know this will be an unpopular thread, but I have to say it where were you during the Jags game? After watching Freeney destroy the cardinals LT all night long why can't you take over a game like this from the pass rush sense at least?

We were up against rookie "tackles" on both ends and we come away with 0 sacks and almost 0 pressures.. How can this be, this isn't about schema this is pure ability vs ability.

)(*$)(@*$(*@()* frustrated..

bckey
09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
He was being guided in a semicircle around the qb. Oh and giving the Jags an extra 15 yards for a horse collar tackle. He has been playing just as crappy as the rest of our defense.

TimeKiller
09-28-2009, 09:57 AM
He's lost with the rest of the :d:

gtexan02
09-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Freeney destroyed Eugene Monroe in game 1

silvrhand
09-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Freeney destroyed Eugene Monroe in game 1

Yes, he's just about destroyed every tackle he has faced so far this year, he just takes over the entire side of the line and creates oppurtunity for others. He just destroyed Gandy last night, he shoved him and a friggin running back into the QB on a play that he just bull rushed it was insane.

Mario is supposed to be some freak of nature as the strongest or second strongest on the field but never see any power moves from him.

BrandonLwowski
09-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Where was Mario and Cushing against the jags. Cushing was all over the feild the titans game and seemed like a ghost against the jags, especially on that bootleg keeper from garrard

Texan JBZ
09-28-2009, 11:22 AM
The Jags were chipping and doubling Mario like crazy yesterday. They did a good job of scheming against him. He was good against the run and had a few pressures on Garrard.

BigBull17
09-28-2009, 11:48 AM
The Jags were chipping and doubling Mario like crazy yesterday. They did a good job of scheming against him. He was good against the run and had a few pressures on Garrard.

Yeah, I saw a few times where they chipped and double teamed. He didn't play great, but he is about the only guy you have to worry about. It's repulsive how little we get from the other linemen.

Vinny
09-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I know this will be an unpopular thread, but I have to say it where were you during the Jags game? After watching Freeney destroy the cardinals LT all night long why can't you take over a game like this from the pass rush sense at least?

We were up against rookie "tackles" on both ends and we come away with 0 sacks and almost 0 pressures.. How can this be, this isn't about schema this is pure ability vs ability.

)(*$)(@*$(*@()* frustrated..

you ought to stop creating threads and sticking to commenting in existing threads if this stuff is the best drivel you can come up with...just sayin' (as I peek in the lazy Schaub thread). Mario is the only guy worth anything on the line and it isn't even close.

gwallaia
09-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Mario was on the field trying to get to the QB who was easily getting the ball to wide open receivers.

If the secondary cannot do their job, the pass rushers cannot do their jobs.

Vinny
09-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Mario was on the field trying to get to the QB who was easily getting the ball to wide open receivers.

Both have to work and the Texans have awful DT play and nothing on the other edge. Hell, TJ was the best DT on the team and they just gave him away. The guys we 'went to war' with play like the French taking on the Germans. The make up of this team D is awful and poorly thought out.

BigBull17
09-28-2009, 11:57 AM
you ought to stop creating threads and sticking to commenting in existing threads if this stuff is the best drivel you can come up with...just sayin' (as I peek in the lazy Schaub thread). Mario is the only guy worth anything on the line and it isn't even close.

Yeah. He had alot of attention. He's also one of the few guys who didn't miss tackles.

BigBull17
09-28-2009, 11:58 AM

If the secondary cannot do their job, the pass rusher cannot do their jobs.

Fixed it. Can't say pass rushers plural, because we have one.

Dan B.
09-28-2009, 12:02 PM

As pointless as this thread is, it at least makes more sense than the Schaub thread. Mario does play on same side of the football as the half that no-showed yesterday. And he really did seem kind of a non factor yesterday, holding or no.

Criticizing Schaub after yesterday makes no sense. None. It shows a frightening lack of football savvy IMO.

silvrhand
09-28-2009, 12:03 PM

Both are dependent on each other, if a QB has more than 4 or 5 seconds against a zone defense and especially man to man they are going to find an open receiver.

It's been proven multiple times, and multiple teams.

Vinny
09-28-2009, 12:10 PM
As pointless as this thread is, it at least makes more sense than the Schaub thread. Mario does play on same side of the football as the half that no-showed yesterday. And he really did seem kind of a non factor yesterday, holding or no.

Criticizing Schaub after yesterday makes no sense. None. It shows a frightening lack of football savvy IMO.
Yeah, I merged a few other of his threads but if something has merit I don't mind noobs starting lots of threads...but don't fill the place with crap threads and push the decent conversations off the page. This ain't the .com mb....not that there is anything wrong with that.

bah007
09-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Where was Mario and Cushing against the jags. Cushing was all over the feild the titans game and seemed like a ghost against the jags, especially on that bootleg keeper from garrard

Eh Cushing was rarely the first guy to the ball, but he was around the ball all day.

I think Cushing is only going to get better. I think Mario is fine, he just needs some help from the rest of his unit. Other than those two, Ryans is the only guy I'm not worried about.

As far as everyone else goes, there is plenty to complain about. Take your pick...

El Tejano
09-28-2009, 12:12 PM
I didn't even see all the game yesterday and was thinking the same thing to myself this morning. Typically a player like this makes everyone else better but noone is stepping up.

hookinreds
09-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Seriously? Really?

Blake
09-28-2009, 12:20 PM
I dont understand this thread. I watched Mario on many plays get some pressure and even force a hurried throw or 2, but DG was able to step up and get rid of the ball. Not to mention the obvious extra attention paid to Mario all game.

Also when you have good DT play, and another good DE it helps. I dont want to hear Freeney being compared to Mario like this again. Its not even close to the same circumstances.

BigBull17
09-28-2009, 12:24 PM
I dont understand this thread. I watched Mario on many plays get some pressure and even force a hurried throw or 2, but DG was able to step up and get rid of the ball. Not to mention the obvious extra attention paid to Mario all game.

Also when you have good DT play, and another good DE it helps. I dont want to hear Freeney being compared to Mario like this again. Its not even close to the same circumstances.

Yep. Mathis takes a lot of attention off of Freeney, and vice versa.

silvrhand
09-28-2009, 02:12 PM

Sorry, 3 tackles and no sacks against two rookie tackles, mario should have had a big game. As I watched in jealousy as Freeny destroyed not only their tackles, but chips, double teams, and made the game a nightmare for their QB. Like it or not we made a running team look like they had a great passing game.

I mean we have some obvious talent issues, but now at this point even our star players aren't pulling their own weight.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d812fcea9/David-Garrard-Highlight-WK-03-vs-Texans-2009

Mario looks like he's really hoofing it after he GIVES up on the play.. This is not what we need to see on the field.

Oh yah Amobi gets destroyed again on this play.

Vinny
09-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Sorry, 3 tackles and no sacks against two rookie tackles, mario should have had a big game. As I watched in jealousy as Freeny destroyed not only their tackles, but chips, double teams, and made the game a nightmare for their QB. Like it or not we made a running team look like they had a great passing game.

I mean we have some obvious talent issues, but now at this point even our star players aren't pulling their own weight.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d812fcea9/David-Garrard-Highlight-WK-03-vs-Texans-2009

Mario looks like he's really hoofing it after he GIVES up on the play.. This is not what we need to see on the field.

Oh yah Amobi gets destroyed again on this play.
Mario is on the opposite side of that play and does his job. You just don't know what you are looking at other than being able to identify Ok0ye being pushed around like a lawn mower.

False Start
09-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Mario may not have the sack numbers, but hes been pretty persistent at getting pressure on the QB. My question is, where there hell is Antonio Weaver?

silvrhand
09-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Mario is on the opposite side of that play and does his job. You just don't know what you are looking at other than being able to identify Ok0ye being pushed around like a lawn mower.

At least we can agree on something, am I being critical, yes I am! Does everyone on this team deserve to sit down and honestly think about how they can do better, yes they do.

The players are going to have to take it upon themselves to make sure they are giving 100% effort, this isn't a coaching issue. This is a mental attitude adjustment that we need to make, and this will come out on film in the post game analysis, as it should. Player will see this and it's not something you like to see.

HOU-TEX
09-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Mario may not have the sack numbers, but hes been pretty persistent at getting pressure on the QB. My question is, where there hell is Antonio Weaver?

And Conner Barwin? His pass rush consists of hauling ass 10 yards around the back of the QB. I guess getting the lineman to chase him might eventually wear him out for later in the game?

silvrhand
09-28-2009, 02:33 PM
And Conner Barwin? His pass rush consists of hauling ass 10 yards around the back of the QB. I guess getting the lineman to chase him might eventually wear him out for later in the game?

that's pretty funny right there the sad thing is it's unfortunately true.

TimeKiller
09-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Mario doesn't get a pass because he's Mario. If he's playing well then he's the best player on the worst D in the league. Congratulations are in order, I assume.

False Start
09-28-2009, 03:27 PM

Yeah, CB is finding out there's a big difference between real games and preseason.

TheRealJoker
09-28-2009, 04:05 PM
We drafted Connor Barwin to take pressure off of Mario but if offenses can rack up 200+ yards rushing a game we'll never get enough of a lead to allow the defense to pin their ears back and get after the QB. Barwin is young and still learning, but if he has to even think that there is a run at this point his one trick (that he was good at in preseason) is rendered moot.

As is the case on the pass rush its Mario and a bunch of ghosts. When offenses are only threatened by one DL then they can usually gameplan that guy out especially when they can just run the ball at will and keep the game close.

JDizzle
09-28-2009, 05:52 PM
When you are playing next to Larry Curly and Moe, in front of the Keystone Cops it's near impossible for you to make a lot of plays. Mario is easily the best on the team at defending the run, as well as rushing the passer. Hell I think he has more passes defended than 3/4 of the secondary so you can say he's one of our best defensive backs too.

TexanBacker93
09-28-2009, 10:54 PM
He was being guided in a semicircle around the qb. Oh and giving the Jags an extra 15 yards for a horse collar tackle. He has been playing just as crappy as the rest of our defense.

I thought the horse collar was on Smith. Well, first I thought Mario and then I thought the ref said Smith. Oh well.

I think Freeney will have better production until the Texans

a) get someone in the secondary that can cover the receivers. It's hard to sack a QB when the corners play so far off. At least be able to read the name on the jersey Bennett.

b) get some push from the DTs. There is always a pocket that the QB can step up into to avoid the outside rush. Our tackles don't create pressure.

and c) convice Mario to stop lunging and diving. I think he misses out on a sack every game because he dives at the QB, usually a foot too early, and gives the QB the chance to take a step up or a step to the side and avoid. Drive into him and clobber him.

That being said. He's still been doing everything alone on the line. Freeney has Mathis opposite him and the Colts GM brings in DL guys that other teams might also want.

Norg
09-28-2009, 11:57 PM
The QB already knew where to throw BEnnent and Bushings side when u throw the ball quick like in 2 seconds its hard to get to the QB

and i watched some of the Indy game i wouldnt say Freeney got major pressure he was doubled all night