PDA

View Full Version : Third Down

Txn_in_Oki
09-27-2009, 06:49 PM
So does anyone else feel a pucker in their nether regions every time the Texans D goes against a third down?

mariowillshine15
09-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Yep. I think other teams just run any play till they get to 3rd down. Thats when they have us where they want us.

Andrew6
09-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Depends, If I have the other teams player on my FF league then I think hell yeah, here comes some major points. If I don't have that player on my FF league then I think "Just hold them to a field goal".

Wolf
09-27-2009, 08:17 PM
if I counted everything right from NFL.com

drives and scoring drives against the defense
jets 12 drives with 4 Scores (1 drive ended the half, 1 ended the game)
Titans 13 drives with 5 scores (none ended game/half) we had 2 TO
jags 11 drives with 5 scores (1 drive ended half, 1 ended game and 1 TO)

so if i counted correctly

we have 36 drives with 14 scores (2 ended half, 2 ended game 3 TO)

3rd /4th down percentages

jets 10/18 on 3rd, 2/2 on 4th
Titans 5/16 on 3rd ,2/2 on 4th
Jags 5/11 on 3rd ,1/1 on 4th

totals so far

20/45 on 3rd ,5/5 on 4th

Ugly

I need an ice pack on my groin

Norg
09-27-2009, 08:36 PM
yeah i was telling the guy next to me we cant stop them on 3rd down

I said maybe we should stop making noise i think that confuses our D more then it helps them

DexmanC
09-27-2009, 08:45 PM
if I counted everything right from NFL.com

drives and scoring drives against the defense
jets 12 drives with 4 Scores (1 drive ended the half, 1 ended the game)
Titans 13 drives with 5 scores (none ended game/half) we had 2 TO
jags 11 drives with 5 scores (1 drive ended half, 1 ended game and 1 TO)

so if i counted correctly

we have 36 drives with 14 scores (2 ended half, 2 ended game 3 TO)

3rd /4th down percentages

jets 10/18 on 3rd, 2/2 on 4th
Titans 5/16 on 3rd ,2/2 on 4th
Jags 5/11 on 3rd ,1/1 on 4th

totals so far

20/45 on 3rd ,5/5 on 4th

Ugly

I need an ice pack on my groin

Those numbers, especially on 4th down, are pretty much IDENTICAL to the
mess of a defense we had to start last year. However, they can't wait
till GAME 5 to stop costing this team games.

thunderkyss
09-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Those numbers, especially on 4th down, are pretty much IDENTICAL to the
mess of a defense we had to start last year. However, they can't wait
till GAME 5 to stop costing this team games.

I think you're right, but to expect it to turn around any faster than that is unrealistic.

We've just got to keep scoring points, and keep our defense off the field.

GP
09-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I think you're right, but to expect it to turn around any faster than that is unrealistic.

We've just got to keep scoring points, and keep our defense off the field.

TK, you know I'm a fan of yours. At least in the sense that you and I tend to have good back-and-forths when we both "agree" and when we "don't agree."

However, I'm seeing a pattern in your thought process--for this thread, as well as the one where you say Schaub needed to do more.

You are allowing this defense to get a pass on their culpability to the issue of us sucking.

"We've just got to keep scoring points, and keep our defense off the field." is what you just said.

That's what teams like Texas Tech say. Because that's who they are: Run down the field and score a TD in under two minutes, but then give up a TD to the opponent on every possession.

At some point, your high-octane passing game is not going to score a TD. And your pathetic swiss-cheese defense is STILL going to allow the opponent's offense to score. So then you're down by a TD.

If this defense was better than it is, and better than I think it'll ever accomplish over the duration of this season, we're good-to-go for the Super Bowl. We've got the weapons on offense.

But this defense is the criminal, man. It really is THAT simple. Slaton even started finding his rhythm today (which I thought he wouldn't do until week 4 or 5). Schaub was nearly perfect and was clutch when he needed to be. He fit passes into small windows, and hit the open man when defenders were closing in on him. Walter made plays, especially the 4th down conversion. OD made plays. AJ made plays. Jacoby made plays. Kris Brown didn't shank his XPs, FG, or kickoffs. Special Teams played very well today.

If the defense doesn't brain-fart for three straight weeks with long TD runs being given up in the same freaking manner (around the right side of the oline) and if our DBs started playing on top of their WR and thereby allow the safeties to be what they're called "safeties" we win today.

So far, David Gibbs is not impressing me. He's showing himself to be a guy who didn't cut the mustard in K.C. and isn't cutting the mustard here, either.

I am beginning to believe that the Texans' defensive coaches and players are actually not even a part of the Texans, but are instead some rogue agency or consortium of aliens who are trying to figure out how to play this game called "football."

I like you, dude, but I can't agree with what you've been saying.

thunderkyss
09-27-2009, 11:22 PM
TK, you know I'm a fan of yours. At least in the sense that you and I tend to have good back-and-forths when we both "agree" and when we "don't agree."

However, I'm seeing a pattern in your thought process--for this thread, as well as the one where you say Schaub needed to do more.

My point there, was that the whole team needs to improve. No one gets a pass.

You are allowing this defense to get a pass on their culpability to the issue of us sucking.

In that other thread, I'm just saying I don't understand why they are so upset. I don't understand how we were supposed to go from what we did against the Jets (who had the AFCs leading rusher in 2008), against the Titans (with Chris Johnson & all), and not give up a bunch of yards to MJD.

The thing they should be arguing, is that they aren't expecting an overnight adjustment to "fix" the problem. This problem was uncovered against the Saints in the Pre-Season, and haven't been fixed yet. & we have in fact seen no attempt to make an adjustment.

And again, my point is that we shot ourselves in the foot offensively, in the endzone, and at the goal line, that would have at the very least got us 6 points closer to tie-ing the game. That's two screw ups on offense, when it was gut-check time.

"We've just got to keep scoring points, and keep our defense off the field." is what you just said.

This defense won't get fixed next week. We are going to have to outscore the Raiders to win.

I'm just being real.

Not saying we don't suck on defense.

At some point, your high-octane passing game is not going to score a TD. And your pathetic swiss-cheese defense is STILL going to allow the opponent's offense to score. So then you're down by a TD.

But that day was not today. We weren't playing Minnesota, or Baltimore, or Philly, or New York Giants/Jets. We were playing the Jags.

2:10 left in the 4th, & we're at the goal line, threatening to tie it up. & that's because we forced a fumble on defense.

Not to overstate the defenses contribution to the game, but we started at the Jags 49 when we scored our second TD, because our Defense forced a 3 & out.

There was what? 2 tipped balls? one by Cush, one by Bullman? Bullman made a few other good plays, I remember Cushing bull rushing their Center... we did some good things on defense.. we just need to do more.

We can't go back to our prevent defense.

If this defense was better than it is, and better than I think it'll ever accomplish over the duration of this season, we're good-to-go for the Super Bowl. We've got the weapons on offense.

But this defense is the criminal, man. It really is THAT simple. Slaton even started finding his rhythm today (which I thought he wouldn't do until week 4 or 5).

If you're willing to give Slaton till week 5, why can't you give the defense that long? We can't expect Schaub & the passing game to carry this team without a running game anymore than we can expect the offense to out-score our opponents.

But that's where we are at, and that's what we're going to have to do over the next 2-3 weeks.

I like you, dude, but I can't agree with what you've been saying.

I think we're saying the same thing.

Surely you didn't think we'd have fixed the run defense thing by today did you?

I'm saying it needs to be done, and everything you said was spot on. I just didn't expect it to happen today, & I thought we were going to win the game, even after the 2 minute warning.

Norg
09-27-2009, 11:46 PM
if the Raiders throw up 30+ points on the road that would be bannans !!!!!!!!!

tho i thought the same thing about the Jags

is every team going to throw up 30 points on us every wk ???????