PDA

View Full Version : Postgame quotes: Texans vs. Jaguars

Wolf
09-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Houston Texans Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on his concern about the defense and how to change things) "Well I'm about as concerned this week as I was last week. Actually, you know, it's just no different. I mean we're giving up some big, big plays and struggling to stop somebody. But my concern was the same last week. We've got a long, long way to go to getting to play good enough back there for us to win. Regardless of all of that they made a big play at the end and offensively we made a few mistakes. So it's just our chance to improve on those."

(on the Jaguar runs being all to one side) "I mean without looking at the films, obviously somebody missed a gap or something. I mean, I don't know. I don't want to point any fingers here, we'll go back and look at it. The ball cut back and somebody has got to be there—whoever is in contained, whoever has got that responsibility."

(on the option of running RB Steve Slaton at the end instead of RB Chris Brown) "Yeah, but I mean we used Chris on the goal line. He's a big body. He's done a good job for us. Obviously he's got to hang on to the ball right there, but I've got a lot of confidence in Chris down there. And, he was making a great run, he's just got to hang on to the football."

(on what happened in the back at the end) "We ran one of our boots. And they're in zone. I don't know how you get a call for offensive pass interference when a team is playing zone. I think one of our receivers ran into one of their linebackers—had a collision and they called offensive pass interference on it. I have to see it. I know they were in zone coverage, they're playing quarters so nobody blocked up the man. So I don't know there, I have to see what they called."

(on if he's surprised that DE Mario Williams wasn't a factor against rookie tackles) "Well like you said, there's no secret. They move the football, they control the football game. If you look at the third quarter, and probably three, four, maybe five minutes into the fourth quarter—total control of the game. From them offensively, I want to say we maybe had 12, 13 snaps throughout the third and half the fourth quarter. And you know, we just didn't get them to stop. Regardless of who it was, what it was, we did not stop them."

(on poor tackling in the secondary) "Well we're working extremely hard on it, but you're right. We keep showing up every week and you know obviously I can think of a few today too, but regardless of what the problems are we're just tackling, being in the right gap, but the bottom line is, it's just not good. So, there's plenty of fingers to go around, but it needs to start with me first."

(on how he feels right now) "Not very good. I told you guys last week I had big concerns about this team. This team felt a lot better this week. Everyone had a smile on their face and felt a lot better. But it's like I told the players: in this league guys, it doesn't matter what's going on. What matters is how you play on Sunday. How you tackle, how you block, how you protect the ball. You know, that's what this league's about. I mean, everybody has got good players, good teams. If you're not doing your job, you're not going to win. There's no such thing as, ‘we're okay this week.' I mean, that team played great. I told our team that they would play good. And they did. They played extremely well, and we were going to have to play extremely well to beat them but we had a chance to do that too, and we didn't do that."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5618

Wolf
09-27-2009, 07:25 PM
(on defensive coordinator Frank Bush's first year) "No, Frank will do fine. I mean, he's working his tail off for these players. I mean, you look at some of these third down situations when a team's got third and twelve and you're playing two deep or you're playing whatever it is. And if a guy can sit back there and hold the ball forever, it doesn't matter. Frank needs to keep calling the defense; he needs to keep working like he's working. We need to all try to coach better, and we need to all try to play better. But, it's not about one guy. If it gets fixed, it will get fixed because the whole group is fixing it, not one person."

:thinking:

Houston Texans Defensive Coordinator Frank Bush
(on players saying he has them in the right spot, they just aren't executing) "Yeah, it's some of that. Our guys are trying really hard. We do have some mistakes that are happening out there. We are going to assess it and look at it and try to get things fixed."

(on why there is always one big play given up) "Quite frankly, we're trying to find that out. We're trying to put guys in position to go makes those play. We feel good about what we work on during the week. Somehow, someway, those things are finding us so we've got to get that fixed."

(on if what they are working on during practice isn't translating to gameday) "I wouldn't say that. I think sometimes guys are a little bit over-zealous; guys try too hard. Other times, guys make mistakes. We're going to look at it and try to see exactly what it is and we have to figure out a way to stop giving up big plays. "

(on if all that stuff is fixable) "I think so. I think so. I think structurally, we know what we're doing. We're confident in our scheme. I think we've just got to make sure every guy is on the same page, every time."

(on if he is worried with where things are right now) "No, I think we have a long way to go. It's a concern because we have to be able to get off the field on defense. We're putting ourselves in position at times, and then we can't get off the field, so that's a concern."

(on what it means to him that the players saying he's making the right calls) "It means a lot, that they're buying into the program. But it's on everybody, not just one particular guy. Not the coaching staff, not the players, it's all of us. We're all in this together. It means a lot but at the end of the day, we've got to go get it done."

(on how frustrating the poor tackling is) "It's frustrating because throughout the week, you think you're doing the right things and you feel confident about your gameplan going into it. When those things happen on gameday, it's frustrating because we though we've covered those basics."

(on how he can pick his defense back up) "This is the NFL. You keep going. They're going to kick it off next Sunday regardless of whether we feel bad about ourselves or not. So we've got to pull ourselves up by the bull straps and go out and work even harder. It's all about the work. We have to work even harder."

HJam72
09-27-2009, 07:25 PM
So? What are you going to do about it, Gary? The same thing you've been doing?

ChrisG
09-27-2009, 07:29 PM

Houston Texans Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on his concern about the defense and how to change things) "Well I'm about as concerned this week as I was last week. Actually, you know, it's just no different. I mean we're giving up some big, big plays and struggling to stop somebody. But my concern was the same last week. We've got a long, long way to go to getting to play good enough back there for us to win. Regardless of all of that they made a big play at the end and offensively we made a few mistakes. So it's just our chance to improve on those

answered ur question, make zero adjustments just be concerned every week

Leahmic223
09-27-2009, 07:30 PM
What is up with the players and the responses to the fans.

What are the fans supposed to do? Cheer while MJD runs past your defense untouched for a 60 yard td? If they don't want us to boo then come out and win a home game against a 0-2 opponent.

But it seems like the players on defense don't want the coach to take the blame. Both Demeco and Dunta said guys just have to step up and play better.

Wolf
09-27-2009, 07:31 PM

we have a very PC group. Reading each person's response, it is the same stuff

Txn_in_FL
09-27-2009, 07:33 PM
My post game quote is:

What tha FUUUUUU********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:chili:

HJam72
09-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Last several years, every time we did blitz we still couldn't get to the QB. So, now we are more aggressive and blitz much more often....and still can't get to the QB, so we get burned more. In addition, we now can't stop the run to save our freaking lives and nobody knows why. Busing was part of that problem today. Okoye isn't new. Cushing seems to be a big help against the run, but we're still going backwards.

I say we fire or demote Shanahan, fire or demote Bush, demote Kubiak to OC, get a real DC and forget about having a head coach. Seems to me that having a head coach is synonymous with one side of your team sucking rat's tail.

Maybe we should just fire everybody because the ZBS looks more and more like the Wussie Blocking Scheme to me. Only reason our offense scores is that Schaub is an excellent POCKET passer and we have superstar receivers all over the field. Even our pass blocking still isn't that great, but the skills players make up for it. Mostly, the D is just retarted.

One thing I will say in the Texans defense is that the offensive pass interference on Walter in the endzone was nit-pick sh*%. Also, Brown's left knee was down, but heck, don't fumble the ball into the endzone when I think it's was just 2nd down. We still had 2 more tries!

The Texans are the only sports team I give a crap about anymore....and I am losing interest fast. 8 years of "We suck. No we don't. Yes we do. No we don't. Yes we do..."

BSofA04
09-27-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm getting pretty f-ing sick and tired of our defense sucking a fat one. This is probably the worst defense in the history of the franchise. That's saying something. Too many first round picks...too many yards given up....4-3 isn't working with this group. Not now. Not the past two years. Won't work next week.

BTW..Fred Bennett is done. He just doesn't have it. Next!

GuerillaBlack
09-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Back to the 3-4..

Convert Mario to an OLB a la Demarcus Ware.

Thorn
09-27-2009, 07:58 PM
If you think about close the Titans and Jags games were, the Texans are just a hair's width from being either 2-1 or 0-3. I blame the defense.