PDA

View Full Version : Next years draft? DEFENSE!!!

cdollaz
09-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm at the point where I think every single pick next year should be a D lineman or a DB. With 7 or so picks, at least a couple of them should pan out, right?

eriadoc
09-27-2009, 05:51 PM
We went into this season with five first round picks on the defensive side of the ball and a 2nd rounder in Ryans. FWIW.

cdollaz
09-27-2009, 05:54 PM
We went into this season with five first round picks on the defensive side of the ball and a 2nd rounder in Ryans. FWIW.

That's my point. We haven't shown that we evaluate talent very well in drafting for defense, so why not just play the odds. Instead of trying to guess at the 1 or 2 players who are gonna make a difference, just choose a bunch and the odds are that a couple are gonna pan out.

mussop
09-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I would rather go onto next season with a new coaching staff.

Texecutioner
09-27-2009, 05:55 PM
We've drafted defense with our first rounder practically every year now, and it hasn't seemed to help one bit. Actually we've gotten worse.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't draft heavy on defense, but we need a saftey more than anything. I don't care what we do. GET US A SAFETY!

CloakNNNdagger
09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
While you're at it draft some new coaches.

PapaL
09-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Cushing looks to be the real deal. Mario and DeMeco are the real deal.

Seems like we can hit homeruns but can't find solid filler/rotation players. AO and TJ picks just hurt.

Thorn
09-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Maybe if we draft safetys in all 7 rounds, we might get lucky. :)

Goatcheese
09-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Maybe if we draft safetys in all 7 rounds, we might get lucky. :)

That's a little overkill.

We should draft 6 safeties and a corner who can play safety.

Mr teX
09-27-2009, 06:25 PM
with their 1st pick the houston texans select Eric Berry

eriadoc
09-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Cushing looks to be the real deal. Mario and DeMeco are the real deal.

Seems like we can hit homeruns but can't find solid filler/rotation players. AO and TJ picks just hurt.

That's an argument against coaching, IMO. The top guys are probably going to be OK just based on physical ability and desire. They worked their way to the top of the top for a reason, in most cases. Coaching has to develop the later guys, and it doesn't appear that this is happening on the defensive side of the ball. It's definitely happening on the offensive side, as many of the key contributors are late round picks like Walter, Anderson, Daniels, Brisiel, even Studdard.

SheTexan
09-27-2009, 06:27 PM
While you're at it draft some new coaches.

I don't know Jean!! I'm kinda tired of the Texans being the "training grounds" for all the wanna be coaches in the league. Our slogan now is pretty clear. 'If you're friends with GK, or you're tired of your desk job, just head on down to Houston and GK will give ya a job!! Most likely you'll be top dog within a year!!":sarcasm:

Leahmic223
09-27-2009, 06:29 PM

...don't we have two 5th round picks?

So maybe we can draft 7 safeties!

gtexan02
09-27-2009, 06:30 PM
The texans are the only team I can think of that have a lot of young stars who all play like crap as a team

PhilpW
09-27-2009, 06:31 PM
This is what it's like to be a Texans fan. We aren't at the quarter mark of this season and we already know it's over. We want to be like the Colts, Steelers, Patriots...., but we are more like the Lions, Browns, and Bengals. No disrespect intended to those clubs. Looks like it's time to start over again.

Norg
09-27-2009, 06:32 PM
yes this year we must draft heavy in the secondary early

FS
SS
CB

work up our rookies we have now macain and others Cut Dunta Reeves and the entire secondary and lets just hope for the best

ObsiWan
09-27-2009, 06:34 PM

lol:

ObsiWan
09-27-2009, 06:36 PM
This is what it's like to be a Texans fan. We aren't at the quarter mark of this season and we already know it's over. We want to be like the Colts, Steelers, Patriots...., but we are more like the Lions, Browns, and Bengals. No disrespect intended to those clubs. Looks like it's time to start over again.

No.
Not just no, but "hell no"
That would be quitting.
If I don't want my team to quit on me, then I have no right to quit on them either.

Norg
09-27-2009, 06:42 PM
i think we need to draft another DT has welL

hot pickle
09-27-2009, 07:38 PM
hahah 2 weeks ago it was colt mccoy... lol

bah007
09-27-2009, 07:49 PM
We've drafted defense with our first rounder practically every year now, and it hasn't seemed to help one bit. Actually we've gotten worse.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't draft heavy on defense, but we need a saftey more than anything. I don't care what we do. GET US A SAFETY!

Eric Berry please!

mariowillshine15
09-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Eric Berry please!

I second that. Eric Berry FTW!

CloakNNNdagger
09-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't know Jean!! I'm kinda tired of the Texans being the "training grounds" for all the wanna be coaches in the league. Our slogan now is pretty clear. 'If you're friends with GK, or you're tired of your desk job, just head on down to Houston and GK will give ya a job!! Most likely you'll be top dog within a year!!":sarcasm:

Let me clarify........we need a HC with a well established winning resume as a HC, DC with a well established winning resume as a DC, and an OC with a well established winning resume as an OC. That takes money........lots of money.........and less revenues. We've got near the top revenue franchise in the NFL, with a bottom dwelling team product. THAT'S A FACT THAT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO IGNORE.