PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign Pollard

beerlover
09-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Texans sign safety who ended Tom Brady's '08 season

By JOHN McCLAIN

The Texans have signed safety Bernard Pollard to replace Chester Pitts on the roster.

Pitts, who underwent major knee surgery on Wednesday, was placed on injured reserve, meaning he's out for the season.

Pollard, 24, was Kansas City's second-round pick in 2006. He started 14 games last season for David Gibbs, who is in his first season as the Texans' secondary coach. Last season, Pollard had 84 unassisted tackles, and he was a surprise cut by the Chiefs in the last roster reduction this season.

Pollard, who is an excellent special teams player, got a lot of attention last season when he hit Tom Brady in the first game of the season, causing the New England quarterback to be lost for the season with a knee injury.

Pollard gives the Texans five safeties, counting Eugene Wilson, John Busing, Dominique Barber and Nick Ferguson.

dalemurphy
09-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Man, that is some great news! Obviously, the league-wide opinion of Pollard isn't very high, but given our issues at safety, he certainly has some value. Plus, it's just comforting to see that the organization realizes that safety is a weakness.

Blake
09-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Any help at S is good help IMO. I like the combo of Busing and Wilson, but more competition is aways good in my book.

I still think that was a shitty thing Pollard did when he lunged at Brady's lower leg last year.

JB
09-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Nice signing! Good sized (6'1 224lbs) run stopping safety who is much better than what we have currently.

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 68 | Key

Comment: Pollard has excellent size for the position and is physical against the run. He is an above-average athlete for the position with adequate straight-line speed, but is definitely better going forward then when dropping into coverage. He can be a liability when locked up with some of the more athletic tight ends in the league. He shows decent range in deep coverage, but still needs work on his route recognition. He plays with a high level of energy and generally sets the tone for the coverage units.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/scouting?position=36

Sounds like a great compliment to Wilson

HOU-TEX
09-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Too bad we can't have all 4 of them on the field at once with Wilson. Then it might add up to 1 decent SS.

dalemurphy
09-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Any help at S is good help IMO. I like the combo of Busing and Wilson, but more competition is aways good in my book.

I still think that was a shitty thing Pollard did when he lunged at Brady's lower leg last year.

Yeah, I would be horribly upset if he did that to Peyton!

4Texans
09-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I like it.

beerlover
09-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Box safety for specific packages & special teams. Will bring physical presence & don't foget Gibbs did coach him in KC so there is a connection.

4Texans
09-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I would be horribly upset if he did that to Peyton!

How's Brady going to feel when he sees Pollard in a Texans uniform at the end of the season??????????:specnatz:

dalemurphy
09-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Box safety for specific packages & special teams. Will bring physical presence & don't foget Gibbs did coach him in KC so there is a connection.

Well, I definitely think our safety rotation has improved. He can play on run downs and certain packages with three safeties and come out of the game for Busing on passing downs.

Most importantly, he can tackle, which is a unique skill for our secondary.

blitz90
09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Didn't even know he got cut by KC. Great pick-up. Hopefully a change of scenery will re-energize him.

texanfan2002114
09-24-2009, 10:40 AM

According to statement I just read from Pollard in an article, he said that he didn't go after Brady's leg.

"Pollard thought he was going to be blocked by a running back last year against New England, got low to take on the block, wasn't blocked, and fell into Brady."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Bernard-Pollard-almost-crippled-Matt-Cassel-too?urn=nfl,181929

False Start
09-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Wow! This is an unexpected signing. Way to go Texans. :fans:

El Tejano
09-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Glad to see this. When we brought him in and didn't do anything, I was kind of ticked. Glad to see we are getting some talent back there. I was ready to ask Barber to not get on the team plane when The Texans left Tennessee.

steelbtexan
09-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Man, that is some great news! Obviously, the league-wide opinion of Pollard isn't very high, but given our issues at safety, he certainly has some value. Plus, it's just comforting to see that the organization realizes that safety is a weakness.

I called this. They waited until after the 2nd game to sign Pollard instead of the 1st game.

I guess Kubes wasn't to impressed with the Ferguson/Barber duo against the Jets. YUK

I wont be comforted until after the 2010 draft.

When Goddell says with the.... pick inthe NFL draft Houston Texans select

Eric Berry-Tayor Mays-Morgan Burnett

Atleast Pollard is a good taclker. Looking on the bright side

valleytexfan
09-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Like this move.

Vinny
09-24-2009, 11:56 AM
so...we sign the "bonecrusher"? He's an in the box S who lays some wood...and he can also back up the cheerleaders with his spiffy dance moves (http://www.craveonline.com/sports/video/bernard-the-bonecrusher-pollard-26131).

BigBull17
09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
so...we sign the "bonecrusher"? He's an in the box S who lays some wood...and he can also back up the cheerleaders with his spiffy dance moves (http://www.craveonline.com/sports/video/bernard-the-bonecrusher-pollard-26131).

We need a bonecrusher. Thats a big part of a 46 look, if I remember correctly.

76Texan
09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Catch McFadden from behind in the open field?
Bring him in!

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008091404/2008/REG2/raiders@chiefs#tab:watch

bah007
09-24-2009, 12:01 PM
I like it. He's no worse than we have on the roster now and he could even be better.

He hits well. Maybe he can teach our DBs how to wrap up.

NitroGSXR
09-24-2009, 12:02 PM

But do you like the signing? Do you think he is an upgrade of any kind?

Cjeremy635
09-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Dude, maybe he should be on the Titans.....Flaming Sparrow would be HAPPY! :shades:

That was GHAAYYYYYYYY.... (not that there's anything wrong with that TB)

BigBull17
09-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Bring him in!

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008091404/2008/REG2/raiders@chiefs#tab:watch

Maybe we don't cover McFadden with Nading.

Vinny
09-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Bring him in!

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008091404/2008/REG2/raiders@chiefs#tab:watch that's super duper impressive. McFadden ran a 4.3 at the combine

But do you like the signing? Do you think he is an upgrade of any kind?Two weeks ago (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1241490&postcount=145) I expressed interest in him right here at TT.

I think we need more help back there and he's a legit in the box S and hits like a linebacker. He's still young so perhaps he matures into his potential with us.

DocBar
09-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Trying to improve beats the hell outta standing pat and hoping to improve. Can some of the DB gurus break down his inability to cover well? Is it a learning problem (recognizing routes), a physical limitations thing( doesn't open hips, etc...) or a combination of things? I know nothing about this guy.

swtbound07
09-24-2009, 12:27 PM
outstanding

Thorn
09-24-2009, 12:30 PM
For this late in the season, sounds like a good pick up to me.

beerlover
09-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Trying to improve beats the hell outta standing pat and hoping to improve. Can some of the DB gurus break down his inability to cover well? Is it a learning problem (recognizing routes), a physical limitations thing( doesn't open hips, etc...) or a combination of things? I know nothing about this guy.

I feel much better about it given Gibbs signed off having worked him in KC. In Bernards case he came out early like Okoye while his body had matured the mind was not. He is still only 24 & in his 4th year. In a physical game he could be a difference maker compared to what the Texans currently have. The Texans drafted Glenn Earl similar type of box safety but had laundry list of nagging injurys, far as I know Pollard has a clean bill of health :tiphat:

texasguy346
09-24-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm glad we picked him up. He may end up being a stop gap, but he's certainly better than Barber.

DocBar
09-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I feel much better about it given Gibbs signed off having worked him in KC. In Bernards case he came out early like Okoye while his body had matured the mind was not. He is still only 24 & in his 4th year. In a physical game he could be a difference maker compared to what the Texans currently have. The Texans drafted Glenn Earl similar type of box safety but had laundry list of nagging injurys, far as I know Pollard has a clean bill of health :tiphat:Sounds like a good pickup for us. What are the odds he can di a credible Polomalu imitation with some good coaching?

Goldensilence
09-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Solid signing. I am sure though the staff will wait a few games before they go ahead and insert him into the starting lineup as usual.

Really wish they would've addressed this before the season started. But, he looks like he could be the most capable guy we've brought in at S in a while. Would be nice if this turned into something more long term.

eriadoc
09-24-2009, 12:46 PM
If he's good in run support, I'll take it. I'd rather have a safety only good in one thing at this point over what we have. *

*Busing might end up being good in pass pro, we'll see.

Porky
09-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Wow, I had no idea Pollard had been released. I don't watch every KC game, but I thought the guy had a good reputation as a pretty decent in the box type starter as a safety. I see these comments that sort of back that up. Well, maybe he is off the scrap heap, but he is light years ahead of Barber or even the banged up Earl. Same type of players, but he is just so much better, at least the times I have seen him. Kind of a Roy Williams light if I remember. Good hitter, good tackler. Wow, for this time of the year to get a starting caliber player. Wow!

CloakNNNdagger
09-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Chiefs fans aren't exactly happy about Pollard's release

This blogger tries to make the argument for his release being that he was ONE Dimensional........that he had lots of tackles, but few pass deflections and interceptions.

But he admits, that the front 7 were "atrocious" against the run. You could make the argument that with with an atrocious front 7, a player like him is forced to play closer to the line to play the run (thus mucho tackles) with little opportunity for pass deflections and interceptions. This could end up being a diamond still in the rough in our scheme.

Goodbye Bone Crusher (http://seaofredkc.wordpress.com/2009/09/09/goodbye-bone-crusher/)

The release of Bernard Pollard last week sent some Chiefs fans to the radio, onto message boards, and to their computers to blog and complain that the Chiefs front office was doing no better than the one that preceded it. How could a team release a 2nd round pick that has started in 31 games and played in 49 since being drafted? How could they release a player who led the team in tackles last year? The answer to that is simple – because he was one dimensional.

If you read my 53 man roster projection post during training camp you will notice that I had the Chiefs keeping Pollard and letting DaJuan Morgan go. I went as far to say that Morgan was a bad draft pick of Herm Edwards. I apologize Herm, DaJuan Morgan was not a bad draft pick, Marcus Maxey was. DaJuan Morgan hid in the shadows the first two weeks of camp and then exploded onto the scene by showing the ability he had tucked away for the last year. Maybe it’s a system change? Maybe he feels free not playing within the limitations of Herm Edwards’ awful Tampa 2 defense. I don’t know and I don’t care. Myself and the Chiefs front office only care that 2 players (Morgan and the apparent starter Mike Brown) are better players for this defense. Why? Because they find the ball.

People will argue that you can’t cut a guy who had 98 tackles for you last year. You can when the defense was atrocious and Pollard had to make tackles because nobody else playing on the front 7 was. Does it mean he’s a great player – No. It means he was usually the last line of defense on a defense that was getting absolutely gashed on running plays. I imagine someone’s reading this right now and saying, “ a tackle is still a tackle, he’s just doing his job”. You’re right, but let’s look at the stats of a player I feel is the best safety in the game at this time, Troy Polamalu – and compare those to that of Bernard Pollard. Don’t forget, the Chiefs are changing to a similar style of 3-4 defense that the Steelers have ran for years.

In 2008 Bernard Pollard played in 16 games. During those games he had 98 total tackles (78 solo and 20 assisted), 1 pass deflection, and 1 INT.

In 2008 Troy Polamalu played in 16 games, during those games he had 73 tackles (54 solo and 19 assisted), 17 pass deflections, and 7 INT’s.

While I don’t expect Bernard Pollard (or any Chiefs safety for that matter) to play on the level that Troy Polamalu plays at, this simple example points out the glaring weakness in Pollards game. He doesn’t cause turnovers, he doesn’t make impact plays, he doesn’t find the ball. Bernard Pollard is a one dimensional player and can get overexposed in pass defense because of his lack of speed.

I have no doubt in my mind that Bernard Pollard will land on his feet somewhere. There are 32 football teams in the NFL and people are always looking to add special team’s depth. Bernard Pollard could be a heck of a special team’s player and backup safety for someone. In order to start in the NFL for a good defense however you have to be more than just a head hunter – you’ve got to find the ball and make impact plays. Tackling a running back after a 20 yard gain can only get you so far.

El Tejano
09-24-2009, 12:59 PM
I think you gotta like a guy who can do this. Especially this week.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/166034/610x_medium.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.zimbio.com/Bernard%2BPollard&usg=__5VkKNrKMIBS1txkOp-DHV3MhRnM=&h=277&w=455&sz=35&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=vw1xP2xwqIYLxM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbernard%2Bpollard%26hl%3Den%26safe%3D active%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Hagar
09-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Dude appears to have the physical gifts but doesn't appear to understand the professional game. Maybe getting cut by the Chiefs is a good thing. When the world is handed to you, a little adversity can bring out the best in people. Lets see if he wakes up.

El Tejano
09-24-2009, 01:03 PM

He's also from Rick Smith's alma matter, Purdue!

76Texan
09-24-2009, 01:05 PM
He only ran 4.60 at his Pro-day. Still can't believe he caught up to McFadden like that.

Very aggressive player who will miss some tackles here and there.
Needs to make better reads.

But definitely an upgrade over Barber.

BigBull17
09-24-2009, 01:09 PM
He only ran 4.60 at his Pro-day. Still can't believe he caught up to McFadden like that.

Very aggressive player who will miss some tackles here and there.
Needs to make better reads.

But definitely an upgrade over Barber.

Timed speed and game speed are weird. Fast guys get walked down, and slow guys pull away. Depends how you run with the pads.

leebigeztx
09-24-2009, 02:01 PM
I am not going to knock adding young talent,my problem is when u have specific types, they're easily iso'd by good offenses.

The texans in trying to address their safety issues have yet to have 2 look alike safeties other than 2 box guys like brown and earl was. In todays nfl, your safeties both need to be able to cover or teams will flex the te and iso him. If the texans don't get a guy like wilson or convert a big corner like bennett or molden, then they will always have trouble coveering the flex te's. Remember week 1 with ferguson on keller? I know wilson was out, but if your other safety can't take that assignment, then what's going to happen when clark is in the slot? When you package your safety, its also better in big nickel to have 2 safties that will play deep hash and one guy who can tackle in the box and still cover when teams go 13 personel. At least he's young and maybe he can still grow.

Dapper
09-24-2009, 02:16 PM
wow! good pick up. wonder when all the negative "oh no!! another ex-kansas city reject" posts will start?

i just want a game changer back there!

HOU-TEX
09-24-2009, 02:28 PM
wow! good pick up. wonder when all the negative "oh no!! another ex-kansas city reject" posts will start?

i just want a game changer back there!

Game changer? :thinking:

I've always been one to think there's a reason why all 32 NFL teams allowed this dude to sit and wait as long as he did. Admittedly, I don't know much about Pollard, but I do know if you're counting on him to be a "game changer", you're in for a rude awakening.

76Texan
09-24-2009, 02:40 PM
There was little doubt Pollard's future with the team was in question after reports surfaced Friday night that he was the subject of trade rumors. His undoing might have been a reported clash with defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast.

Can Bernard Pollard be a bit too chippy at times? Sure. Does he miss a tackle going for the knockout punch every once in a while? Yes. Regardless, I think it’s downright foolish to cut the player who was our defensive MVP last season as he enters just his fourth year. Good thing I didn’t buy Bernard Pollard’s jersey like I had planned.

The Chiefs aren’t thinking straight. The only possible explanation which makes any sense whatsoever to me is that Pollard must have really pissed Todd Haley off. Hopefully, there is something behind the scenes we don’t know about, because the skirmishes and yapping we heard about didn’t warrant a pink slip. Maybe Haley wanted to make the statement that “you will respect his authority?” I was hoping that statement would be made on Derrick “Patty Cake” Johnson. Guess not.

You’ll be missed, B.P.

euro-Texan
09-24-2009, 02:53 PM
oh no!! another ex-kansas city reject!

Can we talk about Jordan Black now?

Just kidding.

barrett
09-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Seems like a very good pickup this late. Makes sense. Gibbs was able to bring in somebody where he knows what he's getting. More aggressive than Barber perhaps from what little film I just watched. It's a good pickup in a bad situation where anything could become something. It's worth the roster spot in my mind.

I am not going to knock adding young talent,my problem is when u have specific types, they're easily iso'd by good offenses.

The texans in trying to address their safety issues have yet to have 2 look alike safeties other than 2 box guys like brown and earl was. In todays nfl, your safeties both need to be able to cover or teams will flex the te and iso him. If the texans don't get a guy like wilson or convert a big corner like bennett or molden, then they will always have trouble coveering the flex te's. Remember week 1 with ferguson on keller? I know wilson was out, but if your other safety can't take that assignment, then what's going to happen when clark is in the slot? When you package your safety, its also better in big nickel to have 2 safties that will play deep hash and one guy who can tackle in the box and still cover when teams go 13 personel. At least he's young and maybe he can still grow.

I'm gonna say no to this line of thinking. Bennett can't tackle well and Molden's body won't even let us see if he's worth discussing as a member of the team at all.

Dapper
09-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Game changer? :thinking:

I've always been one to think there's a reason why all 32 NFL teams allowed this dude to sit and wait as long as he did. Admittedly, I don't know much about Pollard, but I do know if you're counting on him to be a "game changer", you're in for a rude awakening.

read my post again. i'm not saying he's the one. just expressed my desire to have one back there.
we all know that's what we need to make us an elite defense.

or at lease get us closer to being an elite defense.

Pollard is statistically not the one, but an above average signing at this point in the season. with his physicality, he's an upgrade.....agreed?

Spike
09-24-2009, 03:09 PM
I like the move...a lot. Safety is one of the two biggest need positions on this team. Wilson has been the best and most consistent guy in this unit, and it is not clear to me that he would be starter on most other teams. The front office was betting that Barber could fill this position, and if we hadn't picked up Busing, we would be in real trouble. Barber and Ferguson continue to be a liability out there.

In Pollard, we get still a very young player who was a second round talent and who has started a lot of games in this league. I find it laughable that people try to discount the fact that he was the leading tackler on his team last year...you can't hold those kind of numbers against him because he played on a bad team. Combine that with the fact that he is being reunited with an old coach and will probably be playing with a chip on his shoulder after being released.

At worst, we pick up a solid special teams player. At best, we found ourselves a new starting safety.

DerekLee1
09-24-2009, 03:18 PM
What's the knock on this guy that he was cut weeks ago and still no other team signed him before now?

HOU-TEX
09-24-2009, 03:20 PM
read my post again. i'm not saying he's the one. just expressed my desire to have one back there.
we all know that's what we need to make us an elite defense.

or at lease get us closer to being an elite defense.

Pollard is statistically not the one, but an above average signing at this point in the season. with his physicality, he's an upgrade.....agreed?

Well, he'd be an upgrade if he could notice when one of the fastest RB's in the league if he spreads out wide.

Qman
09-24-2009, 03:29 PM
I suppose that he can't be any worse than our current safeties.

Spike
09-24-2009, 03:34 PM
What's the knock on this guy that he was cut weeks ago and still no other team signed him before now?

I have been trying to see what KC fans said. From what I saw, opinions were split, however, there was a consensus that he was a good special teams player and a good tackler. The knock on him was that he cannot cover.

He can't be any worse than Barber has been and he has a lot more experience.

m5kwatts
09-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Why was this guy cut? Was he out of PS eligibility because KC didn't put him on their PS? Getting another teams safety who was a 2nd round pick from just a few years ago seems to good to be true....

hot pickle
09-24-2009, 03:51 PM
seems like a boulware kinda guy

Porky
09-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Wait, the knock on him in KC was that he made a lot of tackles but not impact plays. You mean safety's tackle? Jeesh, after watching Barber play, I thought safety's just watched people run into the end zone from 20 yards behind.

I mean he is called the "safety" for a reason. If it's 10 or 20 yards down the field rather than the end zone that sounds a hell of a lot better to me.

4Texans
09-24-2009, 04:18 PM
You can't expect to pick up a Reed, Troy P., or Sanders 3 weeks into the season. Can or Can't cover, if the guy can get our defense out of the bottom of the barrel in rushing yards allowed then it will be a great pick up.

hadaad
09-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Bernard Pollard, I long to see your skills of a player.

Welcome to the Texans.

76Texan
09-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Believe it or not, I went back and watched 4 games he played in, along with all the hightlights/lowlights on nfl.com
Against the Pats, the Titans, the Chargers, and the Bucs.
(There's also the game agaisnt us that I will rewatch later on).

If we want an aggressive Defense, this is the type of player we need to get.
A safety who can take on an O-lineman and can put it to a big TE with force.

He was over-aggressive in the Titans game and overran a play and missed a tackle.
A few bad angles/tackles here and there in the other games.

But I really think he will fit in nicely with what we're trying to do here.
I'm gonna say that the fans will love to see all the truckings he brings.

leebigeztx
09-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Barrett, all I'm saying is having a in the box guy in a division or against the better teams that have a Y-flex te is going to put the defense at a disadvantage. Wilson can coverr those guys, but pollard or none of those other guys can play deep middle or sit on the hash and make plays. Look at Rhodes/Leonhard in NY. Rhodes is a rangy safety that can also cover and the smaller leonhard is similar. What happens with that is the defense is still intact and solid even when teams flex the te out. I g back to week 1 in a crucial point and ferguson was looked on keller. If you really look, keller really worked them all game. I know missing wilson was huge, but not haviing a deep middle kind of guy in the case when wilson has to cover the te is needed. Also the big nickel is used more also when team come out in 1rb,3wr,and a te. In big nickel and in case the team has a power run game, you have the 3 safety look. Those 2 safeties better be able to cover from the hash marks. If wilson drops to cover the te and support the run, neither pollard or busing or any of the other safeties are good enough on the hash. Maybe in pollard they get a guy that can play close to the los, but it puts a real strain on the defense.

dalemurphy
09-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Barrett, all I'm saying is having a in the box guy in a division or against the better teams that have a Y-flex te is going to put the defense at a disadvantage. Wilson can coverr those guys, but pollard or none of those other guys can play deep middle or sit on the hash and make plays. Look at Rhodes/Leonhard in NY. Rhodes is a rangy safety that can also cover and the smaller leonhard is similar. What happens with that is the defense is still intact and solid even when teams flex the te out. I g back to week 1 in a crucial point and ferguson was looked on keller. If you really look, keller really worked them all game. I know missing wilson was huge, but not haviing a deep middle kind of guy in the case when wilson has to cover the te is needed. Also the big nickel is used more also when team come out in 1rb,3wr,and a te. In big nickel and in case the team has a power run game, you have the 3 safety look. Those 2 safeties better be able to cover from the hash marks. If wilson drops to cover the te and support the run, neither pollard or busing or any of the other safeties are good enough on the hash. Maybe in pollard they get a guy that can play close to the los, but it puts a real strain on the defense.

You make a very good point. However, we don't have any SS that can cover. So, adding Pollard only helps. I actually think that Busing and Wilson can pair together at safety situationally. It appears that Busing may be an asset in coverage. Maybe Pollard is a two down or situational safety or perhaps we'll just have issues covering TEs... we've had bigger problems than that!

TimeKiller
09-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Yay! Our beginning of the year S is here!

I think Wilson is the best cover safety we have with Busing in 2nd. Don't know much about Pollard other than he pipelined down from KC...weak, at least Demps was from the Giants and Wilson from the Pats...sorta...How is it the most talented safety we've ever had got cut by Belichick? That stinks.

Chuggachuggachuggachuggachuggachugga...train's pullin' in folks.

76Texan
09-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Barrett, all I'm saying is having a in the box guy in a division or against the better teams that have a Y-flex te is going to put the defense at a disadvantage. Wilson can coverr those guys, but pollard or none of those other guys can play deep middle or sit on the hash and make plays. Look at Rhodes/Leonhard in NY. Rhodes is a rangy safety that can also cover and the smaller leonhard is similar. What happens with that is the defense is still intact and solid even when teams flex the te out. I g back to week 1 in a crucial point and ferguson was looked on keller. If you really look, keller really worked them all game. I know missing wilson was huge, but not haviing a deep middle kind of guy in the case when wilson has to cover the te is needed. Also the big nickel is used more also when team come out in 1rb,3wr,and a te. In big nickel and in case the team has a power run game, you have the 3 safety look. Those 2 safeties better be able to cover from the hash marks. If wilson drops to cover the te and support the run, neither pollard or busing or any of the other safeties are good enough on the hash. Maybe in pollard they get a guy that can play close to the los, but it puts a real strain on the defense.With Pollard, I imagine we hardly need to bring Wilson up. He should be playing deep most of the time.

Pollard can handle a lot of things better than our other safeties are capable of.

hadaad
09-24-2009, 06:05 PM
With Pollard, I imagine we hardly need to bring Wilson up. He should be playing deep most of the time.

Pollard can handle a lot of things better than our other safeties are capable of.

I hope so.

It would be really nice to have a safety who can come up and help against the run. The only things I've heard about Pollard are that he injured Brady and McFadden.

I'm guessing it was a Pioli decision to get rid of him?

76Texan
09-24-2009, 06:15 PM
I hope so.

It would be really nice to have a safety who can come up and help against the run. The only things I've heard about Pollard are that he injured Brady and McFadden.

I'm guessing it was a Pioli decision to get rid of him?

If I'm gonna guess, it's all about the money!

Perhaps Rick Smith, with his Purdue connection, is in a better position to negotiate.

I leave that to the FO.
Just looking forward to see some opponents flying in the air, plenty good enough for me! :kingkong:

Wolf6151
09-24-2009, 06:28 PM
He might wind up being great or he might suck but I'll give the Texans credit for realizing there's a problem with Ferguson and Barber, who can't see that, and trying to do something about it. On the bad side though it took them too long to come to this realization and once the season starts all the good talent is gone. Anybody know anything about his contract with the Texans, how much and how long?

PMSTRIKER
09-24-2009, 06:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODjHm7NCmQU

who can't get excited after seeing that...we have always wanted a bighitting safety and soon every offense will be scared to throw screen passes that pollard will blow up :)

steelbtexan
09-24-2009, 06:42 PM
The blogger said Pollard wasn't fast enough or a playmaker.

He may or may not be a playmaker but if he can chase down McFadden he's plenty fast enough.

I'll settle for a S that is a sure tackler at this point.

After watching the likes of Barber and Ferguson the last two weeks.

Silver Oak
09-24-2009, 06:53 PM

who can't get excited after seeing that...we have always wanted a bighitting safety and soon every offense will be scared to throw screen passes that pollard will blow up :)

if anyone has Reggie Wayne's email, please send that clip to him. I want him thinking about it next time he runs a route across our secondary.

mexican_texan
09-24-2009, 07:32 PM
oh no!! another ex-kansas city reject!

Can we talk about Jordan Black now?

Just kidding.

Guess who Jordan Black plays for now.

CloakNNNdagger
09-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Guess who Jordan Black plays for now.

I get you his autograph Sunday if you're real good.:whip:

V3rm0nt3r
09-24-2009, 10:45 PM
i despise the Pats so it might seem a little prejudiced when i say i am so excited that we brought in the guy that, by himself, showed the league that Belichek is just a schmuck that hides behind a great QB and an easy offensive system.

NitroGSXR
09-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Belichek is just a schmuck that hides behind a great QB and an easy offensive system.

Whatever works. I'd like to have the success he's had.

mexican_texan
09-24-2009, 11:29 PM
I get you his autograph Sunday if you're real good.:whip:
I hope he starts. He could sign the back of Mario's jersey.

steelbtexan
09-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Whatever works. I'd like to have the success he's had.

yep

Some people are just jealous of other peoples sucess.

BB is the coach of the all decade team in my book.

Goldensilence
09-25-2009, 01:19 AM
i despise the Pats so it might seem a little prejudiced when i say i am so excited that we brought in the guy that, by himself, showed the league that Belichek is just a schmuck that hides behind a great QB and an easy offensive system.

Well Bill's back up last year did pretty good. I think the spy gate issue really took the glow off Bill's reputation, but I still think he's the best coach in the league.

The guy gets more out of his players then anyone and I can't remember a game where they aren't prepared and ready to go. Wish I could say the same for our current staff.

leebigeztx
09-25-2009, 01:20 AM
I guess I would like to see versitility in the safeties. Teams recognize the box guy and isolate him with the te or just open up and run teaser routes in front of him. Look, I think its a good gamble if you plan on having him close to the los, but having him on the hash or deep middle is a stretch. Maybe he can be that blitzer type, but I guess at some point I would like to thank the texans can stop the run without the extra box guy.

TexansSeminole
09-25-2009, 02:08 AM
Look the bottom line is do we need help at safety? Yes. Does Pollard, at least potentially, provide an upgrade at the position? Yes. That's all that matters. You aren't going to find a perfect player at this point.

Jackie Chiles
09-25-2009, 02:15 AM
I guess I would like to see versitility in the safeties. Teams recognize the box guy and isolate him with the te or just open up and run teaser routes in front of him. Look, I think its a good gamble if you plan on having him close to the los, but having him on the hash or deep middle is a stretch. Maybe he can be that blitzer type, but I guess at some point I would like to thank the texans can stop the run without the extra box guy.

I get what you are saying but if we want a guy like that we probably need to spend a premium draft pick on him. Maybe next year is the year. In the meantime guys like Barber/Ferguson aren't doing anything positive against the run or pass anyway so we might as well see if we can't get Pollard to make some impact in the run game. If Busing continues playing the way he has he might not see the field too much anyway.

Thorn
09-25-2009, 06:15 AM
Look the bottom line is do we need help at safety? Yes. Does Pollard, at least potentially, provide an upgrade at the position? Yes. That's all that matters. You aren't going to find a perfect player at this point.

Interesting enough they are talking about this Pollard pick up on the Jags board. I'll say the same thing here I said there, and that is if he can tackle a 100 year old woman in a wheel chair it'll be an improvement over what we have now at safety. This is a position of need on this team and we can use all the help we can get, even if it's just a small increment in actual help.

HOU-TEX
09-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Kubiak didn't really sound too excited about Pollard yesterday. Saying "they had a roster spot" with Pitts out. So they basically signed him to fill a roster spot? I'm probably reading too much into it, but by listening to Kubiak, it didn't sound like he's going to be our answer as some around here might think. LOL

(on where they see S Bernard Pollard fitting in) "Well, we basically had a roster spot with Chester. We'll evaluate him over the course of the next two days. (Defensive backs coach) David (Gibbs) is familiar with him from Kansas City so we just need to take a look and we'll see where we're at."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5609

Video

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=3449&play_clip=y

ArlingtonTexan
09-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Kubiak didn't really sound too excited about Pollard yesterday. Saying "they had a roster spot" with Pitts out. So they basically signed him to fill a roster spot? I'm probably reading too much into it, but by listening to Kubiak, it didn't sound like he's going to be our answer as some around here might think. LOL

Video

Even if he is excited, nothing good can be gained by declaring a street free agent is an obvious upgrade over the players you have on the team now. that said, his comments are closer to the truth than not. Pollard while having a better pedigree than Barber or Busing has to learn the Texans defense and show that he is a better player. Now, upgrading the safety may not seem that difficult, but Pollard is guaranteed nothing.

Runner
09-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Video

Even if he is excited, nothing good can be gained by declaring a street free agent is an obvious upgrade over the players you have on the team now. that said, his comments are closer to the truth than not. Pollard while having a better pedigree than Barber or Busing has to learn the Texans defense and show that he is a better player. Now, upgrading the safety may not seem that difficult, but Pollard is guaranteed nothing.

Maybe we can chalk this up to the Cedric Benson lesson. Give a low risk, medium reward guy a shot at a position of need.

HOU-TEX
09-25-2009, 10:43 AM
I wonder if we made an attempt at bringing Aaron Rouse in. :thinking:

El Tejano
09-25-2009, 11:35 AM
For those who were wondering why another team didn't pick him up sooner, appearantly there is some kind of rule that if he wasn't signed again after week 1, teams wouldn't have to pay him a certain amount of money. So Texans waited and got what they wanted a player at their price.

Judging by the conversation with Pollard on HT.com, he really wanted to be here because of his familiarity with his coach Gibbs.

TheRealJoker
09-25-2009, 12:02 PM
He should be getting playing time by the Raiders game at least on special teams. I dont think he'll be activated this week because he might not be in "football shape" at the level that Kubiak would like. But I think having Gibbs here will help speed up his development so all he has to do is learn the terminology and get in game shape then we can work him into some specialty packages to help stop the run.

He'll be a good addition going up against a tough Raiders running game. Plus his familiarity with a former division rival should help in the gameplans for the game between him and Coach Gibbs.

Goldensilence
09-25-2009, 12:15 PM
He should be getting playing time by the Raiders game at least on special teams. I dont think he'll be activated this week because he might not be in "football shape" at the level that Kubiak would like. But I think having Gibbs here will help speed up his development so all he has to do is learn the terminology and get in game shape then we can work him into some specialty packages to help stop the run.

He'll be a good addition going up against a tough Raiders running game. Plus his familiarity with a former division rival should help in the gameplans for the game between him and Coach Gibbs.

Unless he lost his conditioning real quick he should still be "in game" shape. He was cut Sept 5th.

I think being familiar with Gibbs might accelerate the time they'll take in getting him some game time. Like you said probably not this week, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him to see him in action against the Raiders.

I found Kubiak's comments puzzling. His explanantion was well we have a roster spot and we'll see where we're at the next few weeks. Either it was coach speak for not throwing any of the currents guys on the roster under the bus or he's really not excited about the addition as most of us are.

Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but it might also read it was forced on him. Anyone else think there might be a possibility Rick Smith went over Kubiak's head on the signing?

hookinreds
09-25-2009, 12:24 PM
He will play this week if he is "mentally" ready, unlike some others in the secondary are on game day.

ChampionTexan
09-25-2009, 12:41 PM
I wonder if we made an attempt at bringing Aaron Rouse in. :thinking:

Given that the Giants claimed him off waivers, and the Texans are ahead of the Giants in that regards, the answer to that would be no.

TheRealJoker
09-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Unless he lost his conditioning real quick he should still be "in game" shape. He was cut Sept 5th.

I think being familiar with Gibbs might accelerate the time they'll take in getting him some game time. Like you said probably not this week, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him to see him in action against the Raiders.

I found Kubiak's comments puzzling. His explanantion was well we have a roster spot and we'll see where we're at the next few weeks. Either it was coach speak for not throwing any of the currents guys on the roster under the bus or he's really not excited about the addition as most of us are.

Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but it might also read it was forced on him. Anyone else think there might be a possibility Rick Smith went over Kubiak's head on the signing?

I agree that he wont be "out of shape" in the traditional since, but its still been a couple weeks since he's had pads on so there may need to be some rust he needs to shake off.

I wouldn't read too much into Kubiak's comments, he comes off as a coach that wont talk up players until he's spent a significant time around them unless of course they are a team we are playing and the player is a bonafide stud like MJD for the Jags.

Plus, you're not going to hear gushing comments from too many coaches in general about the aquisition of a street FA during the season. If Pollard earns his keep i'm sure Kubiak will be very complementary of him in the future.

76Texan
09-25-2009, 03:48 PM
It's possible that we may see Pollard in a certain play of the 46 package.
The Chiefs use them some last year.

silvrhand
09-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Before the year is over I hope we see Busing more at safety flat out he's a ball hawk and knows how to read the QB and make plays on the ball. He's been moved around a lot since college.

- he came in to Miami, OH as a WR
- he was moved to LB, played as a small outside LB
- he was moved to safety by Cincy.
- he has now moved to the Texans.

I haven't had a chance to really sit down and go over films of how he's adjusting, I hope we see him start this week so we can get a better understanding of what skills he really has.

I like him for some reason, the constant improvement from pre season to his ability to break on the ball, he should have 2 picks already if he had not dropped the one last game.

And again, I don't care if Pollard is nicknamed "Bone Crusher" if we don't keep OL from free releases to head downfield and block out safeties it's going to be a long year for run defense.

ArlingtonTexan
09-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Maybe we can chalk this up to the Cedric Benson lesson. Give a low risk, medium reward guy a shot at a position of need.

Might be something to that and I was on that looks to be the wrong side of that one as Benson is at least servicable in cinci.

mexican_texan
09-25-2009, 11:32 PM
No one really saw Benson coming. I was convinced watching him in college he would be a bust, I didn't see his Cincy days coming.

Runner
09-26-2009, 12:08 AM
No one really saw Benson coming. I was convinced watching him in college he would be a bust, I didn't see his Cincy days coming.

Really? There was a thread on this forum last season where some were arguing that the Texans should sign Benson. There was opposition to that idea though.

dalemurphy
09-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Really? There was a thread on this forum last season where some were arguing that the Texans should sign Benson. There was opposition to that idea though.

Not only has Benson had injury problems but he also has had mental and emotional lapses. Couple those things with inconsistent performances since he was a college sophomore and it's easy to understand the Texans not wanting to burn a roster spot on a backup RB. Cincinnati was in desperate need of a RB that could possibly start for them... their situation was different.

Besides, who is to say that Benson could have handled being a backup here anyway.

ObsiWan
09-26-2009, 12:28 AM
For those who were wondering why another team didn't pick him up sooner, appearantly there is some kind of rule that if he wasn't signed again after week 1, teams wouldn't have to pay him a certain amount of money. So Texans waited and got what they wanted a player at their price.

Judging by the conversation with Pollard on HT.com, he really wanted to be here because of his familiarity with his coach Gibbs.

The rule you may be thinking of is after a given team plays its first game, any player they pick up can be paid on a week-to-week basis. If the team picks up a guy prior to their first game, they are on the hook for the entire year's salary. So if we cut this guy after week 6 we only owe him money for weeks 3-6.

ObsiWan
09-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Speaking of rules, do the Redskins have to dress Anthony Aldredge with the 45 active players since they snatched him off of our practice squad or is it just enough that he's among the 53? Meaning they can make him "inactive" every week thus giving themselves an extra PS player?

kozanack
09-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Before the year is over I hope we see Busing more at safety ....

Kubes sez Busing has earned more playing time, but didn't say he will start.

ChampionTexan
09-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Speaking of rules, do the Redskins have to dress Anthony Aldredge with the 45 active players since they snatched him off of our practice squad or is it just enough that he's among the 53? Meaning they can make him "inactive" every week thus giving themselves an extra PS player?

Yeah, they can keep him deactivated, and how is having him consistently among the 8 non-actives (assuming that he is) any different than the other 31 teams in the league and their non-actives?

The Pencil Neck
09-26-2009, 01:33 AM

I believe it's only the 53.

silvrhand
09-26-2009, 04:15 AM
Well,

Honestly I'm not getting excited yet, as there is a reason this guy was let go and not picked up by other teams. Did we get lucky or is he really that bad in pass coverage?

Lucky
09-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Did we get lucky or is he really that bad in pass coverage?
Yes and yes?

The Texans have made a habit out of collecting safeties off the junk pile. Matt Stevens, Eric Brown, Marlon McCree, Will Demps, Eugene Wilson, Nick Ferguson, and now, Bernard Pollard. Street free agents. Other teams trash that become Texans "treasures".

The contempt this organization has for the safety positions is bizarre. There have been 60 safeties drafted in the 1st 3 rounds since the Texans 2002 inaugural season. Zero by the Texans. They seem content with whatever is left on the scrap heap.

Now, we can talk up these guys Smith and Kubiak pick up. Proclaim them as steals. But, what they've proven to be in the past are bandaids. Which are eventually replaced by fresher bandaids. Until proven otherwise, I will assume Pollard is just another bandaid on a wound this organization will never treat.

mexican_texan
09-26-2009, 12:29 PM
There's also a thread every once in a while asking for a Vince Young trade. It's the burnt orange connection.

Runner
09-26-2009, 03:12 PM

There's also a thread every once in a while asking for a Vince Young trade. It's the burnt orange connection.

That's why you have to evaluate the credibility of the poster, the arguments presented, etc. Just because you always thought he'd be a bust doesn't mean that it was impossible other people might have a different opinion that was in fact more correct.

Any posts promoting Vince Young as a great QB don't have anything to do with taking a low risk look at a running back if you are looking at facts and arguments and not college football affiliation. I'm not a UT guy, so I couldn't care less that's where Benson went to college.

Do I really have to explain all this?

Lucky
09-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm not a UT guy...
Really? Those sandals of yours scream Guadalupe Street.
Could you start over? You lost me at "credibility of the poster". :confused:

Rozelle
09-26-2009, 03:35 PM
I like the signing, not because Pollard is this great safety, but because Texans need help on the back end, he’s a good special team’s player, and Gibbs knows exactly what he gets with Pollard. Thought he may end up with either Detroit or Houston due to ties (Cunningham and Gibbs respectively)

Coverage challenged, in-the-box safeties are at best nothing more than down and distance players in today’s NFL. Agree with Hot Pickle (post #53). Pollard and Boulware appear cut from the same cloth. However I believe Pollard is better in coverage, we’ll see.

Was shocked KC released Pollard, then after reading this article… was shocked they drafted him.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/9/10/1023953/former-kansas-city-chiefs-coach-on

"He's never been the type of player you want in space. He's not a space guy but he plays better traditionally in the box.
Herm brought a cover-2 scheme with him to KC, a scheme where safeties need to be able to play in space. Makes no sense drafting a guy you know can’t play in space. :shocked

I thought Herm sounded incompetent. The one thing which could somewhat justify drafting him in the 2nd round (which btw eluded Edwards… “When we drafted Bernard, I think in the third round or something like that, we were in a safety mode.” was having a backup plan in place to convert him to will, should the safety thing not work, ala Thomas Davis (Carolina).

Someone asked in an earlier post the specific reasons in terms of his coverage issues. Don’t know, think it’s simply speed, or lack there-of. I recall coming out of college, scouts felt he had enough coverage skills to play safety on Sundays.
Coming into the ’06 draft, some teams (most likely tampa/cover 2) were looking at converting Pollard to WLB. Here are a few knocks on Pollard coming out of Purdue…
inconsistent effort
overaggressive
big ego, doesn’t respond well to strong authority figures (my guess the main reason KC/Haley cut him)
can be a disruptive force in the locker room.

Good bet he clashed with Haley (rumored to have a pretty big ego also). We’ll see what Gibbs can do, didn’t think he was that much of a liability in coverage. Herm sure made it sound like he is; maybe he was trying to save a little face.

CloakNNNdagger
09-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Reading some of the Chiefs' MBs, it seems that Haley had a problem with him being a mega trash talker. No one could knock him for lacking attitude (which we could be a plus in the direction some of our D players showed for the first time last Sunday.

The feeling is that he is an unbelieveably intimidating hitter (he has knocked several players out of games) but is not a great wrapper. Therefore, he goes for decapitation and sometimes comes up with air. No one is impressed with his cover skills, but remember he was mostly needed and kept close to the LOS because the DL was virtually useless against the run.

Funny thing, it was mentioned more than once that if we put some meat on his bones, he could possibly make an even more consistent impact at OLB.

One last interesting factoid I learned was that he may be more value at STs than we think.........he had 4 blocked kicks in his rookie season.

Runner
09-26-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm not a UT guy...
Really? Those sandals of yours scream Guadalupe Street.
Could you start over? You lost me at "credibility of the poster". :confused:

Those sandals are fine. They don't have some weird strap between the toes.

TheRealJoker
09-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Pollard should be an interesting addition when its all said and done. At least the Texans aren't standing pat with what they've got which is clearly inadequate.

silvrhand
09-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Holy Hell,

If he hits someone like this @HOME in reliant stadium that place will go nuts..

ObsiWan
09-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah, they can keep him deactivated, and how is having him consistently among the 8 non-actives (assuming that he is) any different than the other 31 teams in the league and their non-actives?

Apparently it's not any different. I also wonder if each game that a player is among the 53 non-PS players counts against any future PS eligibility, or is it just the games that a player is among the active 45...?

Thorn
09-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Holy Hell,

Man, if he could take out Chris Johnson like that on Monday night football the stadium would fall down from the noise.

GP
09-26-2009, 11:56 PM
For a second, I thought we had signed Marcus Pollard.

Because, ya' know, this team can never have enough TEs.

mexican_texan
09-27-2009, 12:22 AM
That's why you have to evaluate the credibility of the poster, the arguments presented, etc. Just because you always thought he'd be a bust doesn't mean that it was impossible other people might have a different opinion that was in fact more correct.

Any posts promoting Vince Young as a great QB don't have anything to do with taking a low risk look at a running back if you are looking at facts and arguments and not college football affiliation. I'm not a UT guy, so I couldn't care less that's where Benson went to college.

I'd appreciate it if you would cool it with the condescending tone.

76Texan
09-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Holy Hell,

That was only one of the many big hits that I've seen from Pollard.
He's not the best coverage guy same as Dunta, in the sense that when you go for the big play, you can miss a tackle from time to time.
I've said it already, fans are going to like all the truckings he brings!
You will see bodies flying!

CloakNNNdagger
09-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Those who "blow up" others, tend to have a shorter half-life, and don't tend to have as long-lasting careers as do others. CLICK HERE (http://www.constructionlogic.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/TerroristSchool.gif)

Runner
09-27-2009, 05:15 PM
I'd appreciate it if you would cool it with the condescending tone.

Sorry - when I see well reasoned, nicely presented logical arguments compared to Vince Young homerism, I feel the need to type real slow.

TheRealJoker
09-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Does anyone here think Pollard will get significant playing time on defense vs the Raiders?

He was a 3 year starter for the Chiefs which means he started 6 games the last 3 years against a divisional opponent in the Raiders which makes him a hell of a lot more qualified to play safety on Sunday than Barber or Busing.

Plus, he has had a week to learn our system. He already knows the other team better than anyone else we're gonna play in the secondary and he should know enough of our system to get 15-20 snaps against Oakland on defense.

HOU-TEX
09-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Does anyone here think Pollard will get significant playing time on defense vs the Raiders?

He was a 3 year starter for the Chiefs which means he started 6 games the last 3 years against a divisional opponent in the Raiders which makes him a hell of a lot more qualified to play safety on Sunday than Barber or Busing.

Plus, he has had a week to learn our system. He already knows the other team better than anyone else we're gonna play in the secondary and he should know enough of our system to get 15-20 snaps against Oakland on defense.

He dang well better. We should be trying out all the waterboys too.

76Texan
09-30-2009, 12:34 PM
He dang well better. We should be trying out all the waterboys too.

LOL!

Kubiak had gone out and said Busing and Barber were having problems, and we would have somebody else seeing time at that spot.

I would assume either and/or Ferguson and Pollard will see the field this Sunday. How much probably depends on how they perform.

wags
09-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Plus, he has had a week to learn our system.

It takes more than one week to improperly train someone to read a play and arm tackle.

El Tejano
09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I just want you all to know that I just got a call to sign a deal so that I can be the new starting safety. I will not let yall down.

TheRealJoker
09-30-2009, 12:56 PM
It takes more than one week to improperly train someone to read a play and arm tackle.

True, he should've been on the field Sunday with earplugs!!!

drewmar74
09-30-2009, 01:16 PM
LOL!

Kubiak had gone out and said Busing and Barber were having problems, and we would have somebody else seeing time at that spot.

I would assume either and/or Ferguson and Pollard will see the field this Sunday. How much probably depends on how they perform.

Watching last year's safety play vs. this year's safety play I think that:

(Ferguson + Wilson) > (Busing / Barber + Wilson)

Time to throw Pollard in the mix and see if:

(Pollard + Wilson) > (Busing / Barber / Ferguson + Wilson)

I just want you all to know that I just got a call to sign a deal so that I can be the new starting safety. I will not let yall down.

If you can take bad angles and flail your arms, you're qualified.

Mr teX
09-30-2009, 01:20 PM

Well, you can't be any worse that the "professionals" at this point. Hell, if you could just prevent a 60+ yard run in the next game you're already an upgrade!

76Texan
09-30-2009, 02:52 PM

If you're blind and deaf, you do have a training dog, right?
Then you're qualified.
If they tell you to run to that spot and you can do it, you're an immediate upgrade! :doot:

jshabang
09-30-2009, 03:03 PM
It wasnt like he was a stiff, he led the Chiefs in tackles last year, so he must have made some plays.
People say he was one of the best athletes on their team. He is a physical athletic safety and at least as good as Barber and Busing and ......enough said.
Put him in coach! What, are we afraid he'll miss a tackle and let the RB go for 60 yards?

badboy
09-30-2009, 03:11 PM
I just want you all to know that I just got a call to sign a deal so that I can be the new starting safety. I will not let yall down.I am advising you to hold out for a multi year contract. I would help your fan support if you can get tasered or caught speeding.

TheRealJoker
09-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Things we know:

1) Pollard would immediately be an upgrade against the run over Busing and Barber. We know this because he has a track record and more experience than both of them combined. Plus a history of bonecrushing hits!!!

Things we dont know:

1) Pollard would be more of a liability against the pass than Busing and Barber. Well provided he actually acknowledges the player he's covering he's superior to Barber in this regard.

76Texan
09-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Things we know:

1) Pollard would immediately be an upgrade against the run over Busing and Barber. We know this because he has a track record and more experience than both of them combined. Plus a history of bonecrushing hits!!!

Things we dont know:

1) Pollard would be more of a liability against the pass than Busing and Barber. Well provided he actually acknowledges the player he's covering he's superior to Barber in this regard.

He may not be a good coverage safety, but he's got to be less of a liability than either Busing or Barber.

buddyboy
09-30-2009, 05:35 PM

Go make some custom shoes

BrandonLwowski
09-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Kubiak says he is gonna try and give Pollard some playing time this week vs. oakland...lets hope this makes an improvement so we can go on with our season not worrying 100% about what our defense will do wrong this game

76Texan
10-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Kubiak:
(on the new faces) "Obviously (S Bernard) Pollard, trying to get Pollard going. We'd like to have him be a contributor this weekend. You know, we'll see how far we can bring him.

76Texan
10-01-2009, 12:42 AM
SS Bernard Pollard:
(on how much he anticipates being able to play this weekend) "The playbook is pretty much like we had in Kansas City the first couple of years, and (defensive backs coach) Gibbs was my coach there, so I know the bulk of it, and so I feel like I can go out and help my teammates. We want to win. We really want to win. We saw a game slip by last week that should not have, but it's a new week, a new team, and we've got to go out there and we've got to play ball."

pbat488
10-01-2009, 01:11 AM
According to Rotoworld..
(http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=3700&line=153309&spln=1)
Texans SS Bernard Pollard is taking reps with the first-team defense this week and may start in Week 4.
Houston experimented with Dominique Barber and John Busing at strong safety already this year, but both have blown run game assignments and covered poorly. Pollard, a big hitter, would at least be an upgrade "in the box."

ObsiWan
10-01-2009, 03:30 AM

which team?
:D

dalemurphy
10-01-2009, 05:10 AM
Man, when the coaching staff talked about their safeties being interchangeable, I didn't realize what they had in mind!!

leebigeztx
10-04-2009, 08:24 PM
As long as u don't play against a Y flex te, pollard can make a difference. On the other hand,it is the raiders.