PDA

View Full Version : Chester Pitts

texanhead08
09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
He is done for the season Texans put him on injured reserve today. There is a story at chron.com

NitroGSXR
09-23-2009, 06:29 PM
*sigh*

That's where the Andrew Crummey signing comes in.

The streak ends. Link to story...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6633724.html

False Start
09-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Damn...... that is horrible. :(

After starting every game and being a hell of a guy off the field, this just sucks. I wish him a speedy recovery.

hot pickle
09-23-2009, 06:31 PM
well i guess this means that we get to see if kasey is gonna show us if he is starting quality

texanhead08
09-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Chester's career could be over. Its tough to come back from microfracture surgery.

76Texan
09-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Crapula! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Thorn
09-23-2009, 06:45 PM
This is not good. I wish Chester the best of luck in his recovery. He's been a good player for his whole time here.

mexican_texan
09-23-2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.realgm.com/boards/images/smilies/cry.gif

Malloy
09-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Get well soon Chester, hope to see you back healthy!

DK-Pitts fan

TexansSeminole
09-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Wow, that really sucks. I wonder if he'll be able to come back from this.

Drafting Caldwell is looking better and better. I know Studdard is the replacement but it Caldwell provides a backup plan.

m5kwatts
09-23-2009, 06:55 PM
I feel awful for Chester, he's the last guy in the NFL who deserves something like this, I wish him the best in his recovery and in FA next year.

That said its time for Studdard to stand up. If he's gonna be our starting LG going into next season he's gonna need to prove it now. Otherwise he will be a backup again going into next year.

barrett
09-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm very disappointed that he's out for the year. I was thinking we'd get him back for the last quarter.

The one positive here is that means Caldwell gets that many more reps! I'm not excited about Studdard playing every snap. God help us. Gibbs, figure out some way to keep him from getting blown up!

barrett
09-23-2009, 06:59 PM
I wish him the best in his recovery and in FA next year.

Ouch, I didn't think about that. He stood to get a huge payday from somebody. I didn't expect it to be us though to be honest.

JWarren14
09-23-2009, 07:02 PM
I think Studdard will open up some holes in the running game, but in pass protection he worries the hell out of me.

I hope Caldwell progresses quickly and eventually sees the field.

I feel bad for Chester, it will be weird without him out on the field battling for the good guys.

The good news is that the Jags pass rush is not looking good so far.

CT CSTM
09-23-2009, 07:09 PM
As a personal friend of his,,,this is some of the worst news I've heard in a long time,,,I just hope the Texans won't "turn their back" on him after the season,or before, like they usually do IR guys in their contract year. He was very excited about the season and possibly making the playoffs this year and it has come crashing down for him,,,

He'll come back from this,,,its just the type of guy he is!

disaacks3
09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Time for Chester to start his solo comedy career (until Salaam hangs it up).

False Start
09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
I may never hear "False Start On # 69" again......... :( :tearup:

gary
09-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Chester was the best on the line hands down and then maybe Brown and Winston next. The OL is not great as a whole as it is and it just got worse. This isn't going to help out the running game that is sub parr already. Get well soon Chester. This sucks.

barrett
09-23-2009, 07:15 PM
As a personal friend of his,,,this is some of the worst news I've heard in a long time,,,I just hope the Texans won't "turn their back" on him after the season,or before, like they usually do IR guys in their contract year. He was very excited about the season and possibly making the playoffs this year and it has come crashing down for him,,,

He'll come back from this,,,its just the type of guy he is!

Actually I was wondering if maybe he isn't the type of guy who loves being able to walk (not suggesting this injury is that serious, just meaning wear and tear of all the years) and knows he has a whole life ahead of him after football. Just a thought I had.

Even though I'll bet he's still got at least 3 very good years left in him. And that's 1 more contract for sure.

Just a thought.

Fox
09-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Crap. Best wishes for a quick recovery to Chester. As for the Texans, it's gonna be a lot harder to kick start that run game now.

wagonhed
09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
A true Texan.

http://dablog.alcruz.com/images/dablog/military_salute.jpg

disaacks3
09-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Crap. Best wishes for a quick recovery to Chester. As for the Texans, it's gonna be a lot harder to kick start that run game now.
Maybe so, but Chester was drafted BEFORE we ever elected to change into a ZB offense. He's still better suited to a "power" run game. I still wish him a speedy recovery. Now we're down to ONE (Kris Brown) who's been there from the start.

Norg
09-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Good he has not been good lately

u seen when he went out in the half we locked it down better in the second half

gary
09-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Good, he has not been at 100 percent lately. I might be wrong but I'd say that was part of it.

cuppacoffee
09-23-2009, 07:52 PM

Good?

Unbelievable.

:coffee:

gary
09-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Know football before posting something so stpuid.

Norg
09-23-2009, 08:01 PM
u cant be loyal to your starters when your depth players are playing better and they deserve to be starters Pitts has been sucking for a while he should have been a backup a long time ago

Malloy
09-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Good?

Unbelievable.

:coffee:

The definition of 'classless' :I

Carr Bombed
09-23-2009, 08:11 PM
u cant be loyal to your starters when your depth players are playing better and they deserve to be starters. Pitts has been sucking for a while he should have been a backup a long time ago

I wouldn't go that far........he CLEARLY had a spot as a starter on the line last season. I mean what backup was "outplaying" him last year? This season he just never got into his groove, because he never was able to get into camp after his shoulder and elbow surgeries... When Healthy he was a very good starter for us.

Anyways......get well soon "Mr. Texan"

steelbtexan
09-23-2009, 08:30 PM

Huh

I would never wish for anything to hapen to the original Mr.Texan.

Get well and good luck Mr.Pitts.

You were a true warrior.

eriadoc
09-23-2009, 08:35 PM
u cant be loyal to your starters when your depth players are playing better and they deserve to be starters Pitts has been sucking for a while he should have been a backup a long time ago

Even if I accept this flawed premise, I still can't see how you can respond to a player getting injured with the comment "good". That is about as classless as it gets.

Karma's a *****.

gary
09-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Even if I accept this flawed premise, I still can't see how you can respond to a player getting injured with the comment "good". That is about as classless as it gets.

Karma's a *****.Just goes to show what jerks some people are.

steelbtexan
09-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Just goes to show what jerks some people are.

Ditto

bckey
09-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear about Pitts. Great person and great player. I hope he makes a speedy recovery and resigns with the Texans. I'd take him any day over Studdard. Nothing against Studdard but Pitts has more skills for the position.

Vinnie
09-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Chester is the "Jeff Bagwell" of the Texans in my opinion, if that makes any sense. Always there contributing, always a great team player. Damn I'm going to miss you Pitts, please get healthy and make one hell of a come back!

Spike
09-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Sad news regarding a leader of the team, a fan favorite and a great representative of the organization. I didn't realize that he was a FA next year and I hope the team does right by him. This guy has stuck around through some tough years...

Joe Texan
09-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Thank You Chester for your hard work and get well soon

ObsiWan
09-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Crapula! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif
Exactly.

gary
09-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Expert Norg, says we're better off without him that made for a good laugh for me.

ObsiWan
09-23-2009, 08:59 PM

Which depth player outplayed Pitts??
And what do you mean "a long time ago"???
This year? Last year? what?

Carr Bombed
09-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Sad news regarding a leader of the team, a fan favorite and a great representative of the organization. I didn't realize that he was a FA next year and I hope the team does right by him. This guy has stuck around through some tough years...

By doing "right by him", they should offer him a contract......but this injury has likely cost him millions of dollars and as cold as this might sound. Houston shouldn't give him those millions back just, because he's who he is. This is still a business and they should offer him a contract near what his market value is going to be (which with this injury...it isn't going to be near as high as it would be.)

I'm sure his agent can work out some performance clauses though.

gary
09-23-2009, 09:11 PM
He is not going to get another big payday but he will get an incentive contract based on his play. That'd be fair.

Kaiser Toro
09-23-2009, 09:19 PM

Perhaps you can start a Studdard thread, or an I hate Chester Pitts thread.

It is only my recommendation but maybe we should let this one be a "tribute" thread given his status as an original Texan, a work horse and the fact that his life will most likely never be the same as it was on Sunday in the first half.

Say what you will about his play, but the man came to work everyday in the trenches for eight long years. :texflag:

TheRealJoker
09-23-2009, 09:56 PM
This is a shame. Pitts was finally starting to get recognition around the NFL as one of the better guards in the league (pro bowl alternate) and in my opinion would have made his first pro bowl this season. He's worked his tail off and been with this team through all the bad but unfortunately he's gonna be on IR when we hopefully start having some good things happen to us.

Very unfortunate for our iron man.

Dishman
09-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Chester is the "Jeff Bagwell" of the Texans in my opinion, if that makes any sense. Always there contributing, always a great team player. Damn I'm going to miss you Pitts, please get healthy and make one hell of a come back!

I could see that comparison. Before I saw your post I was thinking he could also sort of be like a Shane Battier with the Rockets. Just someone you reflect upon as having been a class act and first-rate representative for their club.

barrett
09-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Purely from a business standpoint as it relates to our team, this could be very good for us as we would get to keep him on for much cheaper now. Assuming he returns healthy. I still have a hunch that he might hang it up regardless.

But if he stays and wants to stay in Houston we could really benefit from this assuming we don't get punished for it first by Studdard completely tanking the season.

jaayteetx
09-23-2009, 11:21 PM
This sucks for Chester. I got this feeling we make the playoffs this year and he won't get to strap it on with his teammates in the post season. Bummer. Get well Chester and good luck!

imatexan
09-23-2009, 11:25 PM

Good!?

What is wrong with you!?

Heath Shuler
09-23-2009, 11:41 PM
114 consecutive starts; thanks.

Goldensilence
09-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Crap. Crap. Crap.

The line wasn't looking so hot to begin the season and now we lose the best lineman we have.

I can't say there is anything at all good that comes from this. Studdard and White are the backups, and neither give me any reason to think they'll add anything.

I can only hope this staff decides to save time and go ahead an insert Caldwell into the lineup, because I have a feeling they'll be pressed to do that at some point during the season anyway.

I feel for Chester. He's not only been an iron man for the team, but he's been dealt some pretty unfair criticism over the years for the combined line problems. I hope he can recover and suit up and play again next year. Get well soon Chester!

TexanSam
09-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Damn this sucks. I wish him a quick recovery and hope he's back and better than ever next season!

RagingBull
09-24-2009, 02:48 AM
I am very sad to hear this news. I guess we can count on a third round pick going to a guard next year...

The Pencil Neck
09-24-2009, 03:02 AM
This is teh suck.

I really like Chester. I hope he bounces back from this.

4Texans
09-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Well this is a downer. Best of luck in your recovery Chester!

TimeKiller
09-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Womp womp wooomp

I wouldn't be surprised if he hung it up. He could probably play for another few years but he's getting up there in years and his injuries are really starting to accumulate. I would be even less surprised to see him transition seamlessly into the commentary booth.

114 and the Iron-Man falls....

I guess it's time to see why we drafted Studdard. He seemed decent last week in spot work and I'm sure getting the nod and the reps will do nothing but improve his confidence and technique but I've just never seen it from the guy. I hope I'm wrong.

HTown2ATX
09-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Sucks Pitts. Get better man!

Hopefully Studdard can step in and fill the void!

TEXANS84
09-24-2009, 09:40 AM

I can't believe some of these comments.

Chester has played 114 straight games with us. He started at LT his first year, completely out of position. Then he finally got to his spot, but had to play alongside a revolving door of some of the worst left tackles I have ever seen (IE Victor Riley) and a rookie last season. The guy worked his butt off and was a pro-bowl alternate last season.

So lay off the guy. He's never worn shoes with pay me....never complained...in the offseason he pimps the Texans...and he's always shown up and given his all from DAY 1.

V Man
09-24-2009, 09:56 AM
This is a shame.

Pitts could be (should be) the face of the Texans. Shows up to work, does whatever he has been asked, and has always been pro Texan.

I got to meet him years ago at a "Meet the Texans" gig in San Antonio. He visited with many of us, (and even boosted my ego, when telling this old, ex football player (6'7" and 300+ lbs) that they need me to suit up with them).

Get Well Soon

MannyFresh
09-24-2009, 09:59 AM

Chester has played 114 straight games with us. He started at LT his first year, completely out of position. Then he finally got to his spot, but had to play alongside a revolving door of some of the worst left tackles I have ever seen (IE Victor Riley) and a rookie last season. The guy worked his butt off and was a pro-bowl alternate last season.

So lay off the guy. He's never worn shoes with pay me....never complained...in the offseason he pimps the Texans...and he's always shown up and given his all from DAY 1.

I agree, he the Texans' 'biggio', who doesn't love this guy!

Get well Chester.

HoustonFrog
09-24-2009, 10:01 AM

Wow, you're sunshine. Write him any good fan letters lately.

drewmar74
09-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Damn.

So we've got Studdard who is "meh" and Caldwell who is (as Winston put it) inconsistent.

Did we stash a guard on the PS?

I don't think its time to panic, but I'm curious as to if the FO will do anything to shore up the position or if we'll just roll with what we have.

Hate if for Chester. Really hate it.

HOU-TEX
09-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Dadgummit! I just knew something would happen after a full season with no Oline injuries.

Pitts will be back, I know he will. Good luck, my man. :shades:

Blake
09-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Thats too bad. He was Mr Reliable.

So are we going with Studdard, and Caldwell is the swing guard? Or is that White now?

beerlover
09-24-2009, 10:53 AM
all I can think about is Charles Spencer, how sad. I would hope even if he never fully recovers he has a place somewhere in this organization.

Hardcore Texan
09-24-2009, 10:59 AM

Great post!

Get well soon Mr. Pitts!

Hardcore Texan
09-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Thats too bad. He was Mr Reliable.

So are we going with Studdard, and Caldwell is the swing guard? Or is that White now?

It's White.

Vinny
09-24-2009, 11:53 AM
awful news. Good luck to Chester for a speedy and full recovery.

ChampionTexan
09-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Thank you and best wishes for a full recovery to Chester. Here's hoping for a productive post-recovery career.

It would be nice to think of him taking a role with the Texans after retirement, but with a little bit of luck, that's still a few years away.

Hervoyel
09-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Ok, two entirely different approaches to this event and thread.

To begin with I think it's terrible that this happened to Chester at all. It's worse when it ends what may end up being the Texans first winning season and it's even worse than that because it's Chester Pitts and he's waited longer than anyone else to taste an over .500 year (Kris Brown got to win some in Pittsburgh I believe). It's even worse for him because he was getting to that contract time again and he was in all likelyhood going to get some attention in free agency.

Now, different topic/same subject. I want to say that I've never been a huge Chester Pitts fan. So often in his career I've gone up the wall over his false starts and in the first couple of years I really couldn't get over who we might have selected instead of Chester Pitts. Through most of David Carr's reign of suckitude I was under the impression like many that the line was a huge problem getting our young franchise QB killed. "Pitts" and "69" seemed synonymous with this. He was the most frequently mentioned player (apart from maybe McKinney) on a part of the team that wasn't working (apparently). I just never warmed up to him much and always thought he (and Weary too) would one day go away and we'd get "better" players to fill their roles.

I admit that much of the impression I had about Chester was wrong. He couldn't be held responsible for who we didn't take in the draft. He entered the league as a starter on a line of rookies and rejects and his QB made them look even worse than they were. Every year he came to work and got better at his job with the possible exception of his first year at LG. He dropped off for a season while he adjusted to a move he didn't want but he did it and that's where I'm going with this. I've never appreciated Chester Pitts much. I never gave him his due. Bob McNair drafted David Carr to be his "face of the franchise" and held on to that worthless mimbo far too long because he had an idea in his head about what the Texans should look like and be like. In the meantime the real face of the franchise was always Chester Pitts. He got drafted, got screwed, came to work, did everything that was asked of him even when he didn't want to do it, and kept plugging away. He was a LT who was meant to play LG next to an All-Pro but ended up starting at LT next to a LG who was nearly as lost as Pitts was. In 2003 he went from being overmatched to doing a very good job at LT. Even though he proved he could do it they continued to search for his replacement. Up until Salaam showed up Chester Pitts was the best LT we'd ever put on the field.

I feel bad for not appreciating him now. I don't know what else anyone could ask of a player. I don't want to see the Texans throw money at someone over pure sentiment but I hope he's not done here and I hope he can come back from this injury.

HOU-TEX
09-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Ok, two entirely different approaches to this event and thread.

To begin with I think it's terrible that this happened to Chester at all. It's worse when it ends what may end up being the Texans first winning season and it's even worse than that because it's Chester Pitts and he's waited longer than anyone else to taste an over .500 year (Kris Brown got to win some in Pittsburgh I believe). It's even worse for him because he was getting to that contract time again and he was in all likelyhood going to get some attention in free agency.

Now, different topic/same subject. I want to say that I've never been a huge Chester Pitts fan. So often in his career I've gone up the wall over his false starts and in the first couple of years I really couldn't get over who we might have selected instead of Chester Pitts. Through most of David Carr's reign of suckitude I was under the impression like many that the line was a huge problem getting our young franchise QB killed. "Pitts" and "69" seemed synonymous with this. He was the most frequently mentioned player (apart from maybe McKinney) on a part of the team that wasn't working (apparently). I just never warmed up to him much and always thought he (and Weary too) would one day go away and we'd get "better" players to fill their roles.

I admit that much of the impression I had about Chester was wrong. He couldn't be held responsible for who we didn't take in the draft. He entered the league as a starter on a line of rookies and rejects and his QB made them look even worse than they were. Every year he came to work and got better at his job with the possible exception of his first year at LG. He dropped off for a season while he adjusted to a move he didn't want but he did it and that's where I'm going with this. I've never appreciated Chester Pitts much. I never gave him his due. Bob McNair drafted David Carr to be his "face of the franchise" and held on to that worthless mimbo far too long because he had an idea in his head about what the Texans should look like and be like. In the meantime the real face of the franchise was always Chester Pitts. He got drafted, got screwed, came to work, did everything that was asked of him even when he didn't want to do it, and kept plugging away. He was a LT who was meant to play LG next to an All-Pro but ended up starting at LT next to a LG who was nearly as lost as Pitts was. In 2003 he went from being overmatched to doing a very good job at LT. Even though he proved he could do it they continued to search for his replacement. Up until Salaam showed up Chester Pitts was the best LT we'd ever put on the field.

I feel bad for not appreciating him now. I don't know what else anyone could ask of a player. I don't want to see the Texans throw money at someone over pure sentiment but I hope he's not done here and I hope he can come back from this injury.

Props, Herv. Classy post. :tiphat:

CT CSTM
09-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm going to go see him in a few hours,,,I'll let him know what SOME of you have said about him,,,he'll appreciate it!

GlassHalfFull
09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I am heartbroken for him. Chester is a total class act, and will be missed greatly by the team.

Chester, get well soon. :heart:

GuerillaBlack
09-25-2009, 01:13 AM

stupid comment is stupid.

NitroGSXR
09-25-2009, 02:00 AM
On Sunday, let him know he was loved here! His career is most likely over. I will be chanting it from section 117. Join me!!

WE WANT CHESTER!
WE WANT CHESTER!
WE WANT CHESTER!

CT CSTM
09-26-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't often give out "Reputation" but Norg,,,,some coming your way!

barrett
09-26-2009, 05:17 PM
So, just thinking outloud, suppose Chester is as smart as he seems and decides he'll go ahead and hang 'em up and ride off into the sunset. He's got a great personality to be a color guy in broadcasting.

Even though he's good enough to do TV I'm officially starting the Fire Andre Ware and get Chester into the starting lineup tomorow! He can continue his streak and we can have a team announcer who is a former Texan. THE TEXAN. MR. TEXAN HIMSELF. Even if he returns next year I vote we get him in there for the remainder of the season!

ObsiWan
09-26-2009, 05:25 PM
So, just thinking outloud, suppose Chester is as smart as he seems and decides he'll go ahead and hang 'em up and ride off into the sunset. He's got a great personality to be a color guy in broadcasting.

Even though he's good enough to do TV I'm officially starting the Fire Andre Ware and get Chester into the starting lineup tomorow! He can continue his streak and we can have a team announcer who is a former Texan. THE TEXAN. MR. TEXAN HIMSELF. Even if he returns next year I vote we get him in there for the remainder of the season!

Where do I sign the petition?

DexmanC
09-26-2009, 06:14 PM

N.D. Kalu has been campaigning himself for that job, and he's pretty darn good.
It would be an interesting battle.

JB
09-26-2009, 07:03 PM

Get em both!:fans:

CT CSTM
09-26-2009, 08:26 PM

Good thought,,,but like he says,,,"I got a lot of tread left on the tire"

He still wants to play,,,and bad!

mexican_texan
09-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Pitts and Winston in the booth in 15 years.

barrett
09-27-2009, 02:05 AM

I actually feel like some of Kalu's analysis is sort of vague or oversimplified. Chester seems to have quite a bit more going for him from a football knowledge standpoint based on what I've heard from him on radio shows etc.. At least his ability to verbalize it.

Good thought,,,but like he says,,,"I got a lot of tread left on the tire"

He still wants to play,,,and bad!

I'm not arguing that point at all. I"m saying that he should hang it up. I'm saying get him in there this season on an interim basis. He can sit down! Rest his knee and be back with the team in the summer!

Who's with me?!?

CT CSTM
09-27-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm not arguing that point at all. I"m saying that he should hang it up. I'm saying get him in there this season on an interim basis. He can sit down! Rest his knee and be back with the team in the summer!

Who's with me?!?

Yeah I see what you're saying but the way Chester is, he wants to put his focus on one thing, and right now that is getting his knee right. He's been to the NFL broadcast bootcamp so eventually he'll be in the booth, but I think all he's looking at right now is getting back on the field,,,,