PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Caldwell playing

euro-Texan
09-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Mods please move if this was already started elsewhere:

I looked and didn't see anything else about this but would like to know some others opinions on why Caldwell isn't seeing any playing time. I'm a Bama fan and thought this guy played real tough in the SEC week in and week out. I though I would see him when Pitts was injured. When we picked him up in the 3rd round it seemed like a steal, but living away from Houston I didn't see any of his pre-season work. Has he had problems with the ZBS or is our O-line depth stonger than it appears?

Vinny
09-23-2009, 10:59 AM
It's fairly rare to see non first or second round linemen starting as there is a lot of coordination and cooperation going on as well as the fact that the speed of interior linemen in the NFL in relation to thier size is amazing. It took Chester a couple of years to get used to the fast hand work and suddeness of the interior moves at the Guard position (he was a Tackle all his life). I think he will start eventually, but I'm basing that more on hope and what he did at Bama than watching him play here (we haven't seen much of him).

HOU-TEX
09-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Mods please move if this was already started elsewhere:

I looked and didn't see anything else about this but would like to know some others opinions on why Caldwell isn't seeing any playing time. I'm a Bama fan and thought this guy played real tough in the SEC week in and week out. I though I would see him when Pitts was injured. When we picked him up in the 3rd round it seemed like a steal, but living away from Houston I didn't see any of his pre-season work. Has he had problems with the ZBS or is our O-line depth stonger than it appears?

Winston was saying yesterday that Caldwell needs to mature as a player. He said he was too inconsistent. Winston would be totally surprised one play and be let down the next.

I'm all for upgrading the interior line (primarily Myers) if there's a player ready to step up. Obviously there isn't at this time.

blitz90
09-23-2009, 11:12 AM
According to Winston and Kubiak, he has a ways to go in terms of maturing as a player and being more of a Pro and also his technique.

euro-Texan
09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info guys. It's dissappointing but not everyone can transition to the NFL let alone seamlessly I suppose. I sure hope he comes around though. So much so that Smith/Kubes focus on other Bama players like Arenas or Cody come next years draft.

76Texan
09-23-2009, 01:44 PM
I like both Arenas and Mount Cody.

barrett
09-23-2009, 01:47 PM
in the preseason he looked best at RG. Obviously he's asked to do less at that position but It also suggests that just from an experience level, (and Kubiak seems to really lean towards that with replacements) he will need more practice time. I think you can look at a guy like Butler who has had virtually no playing time but has had several years now to get better and when you do see him on the field he looks very solid. He's comfortable and his technique is good. I think it could take a while for Caldwell but once he get's it I'll feel very good knowing that he could replace Pitts, Meyers or Briesel in the coming seasons.

Spike
09-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I think with the success we have had at mid to late picks, it is unusual not to see 3rd and 4th round picks not making an immediate impact. I think this goes to show how special some of those late round picks have been - Winston, OD...even Bennet.

The injuries are unfortunate, but it does give everyone up and down the depth chart an opportunity to get more snaps.

Another guy not mentioned in this thread is Chris White. I think White looked pretty good in pre-season and has filled in well in the past during the regular season. Like Butler, he is a guy who may not be as physically talented as Caldwell, or have as much upside, but both Butler and White have been in the system for a couple of years and are more game day ready.

barrett
09-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Butler and White have been in the system for a couple of years and are more game day ready.

I think you can expect the same results from Caldwell. Give him time.

76Texan
09-23-2009, 04:02 PM
No knock on Caldwell or Hill or Casey.
I thought we would be better off drafting only one TE, and spend a pick on Herman Johnson.
I watched him in the Cardinals' two PS games against the 3-4 (Pitts and Capers' Packers). The guy is a steal in the 5th round.
They are not playing him yet, because they are working him as swing tackle.
(He played LG at LSU).

The Texans, on the other hand, can use him straight away at Guard, at least on certain situations like short yardage, or against team with big NT/DT