PDA

View Full Version : Schaub, AFC offensive player of the week

Vinny
09-23-2009, 09:32 AM
AFC honor for Schaub

Quarterback Matt Schaub has been voted as the AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance in the 34-31 victory at Tennessee.

Schaub completed 25-of-39 for 357 yards and a career-best four touchdowns. He wasn't sacked or intercepted. His rating was 127.8.

Schaub threw touchdown passes to Andre Johnson (19 and 72 yards), Jacoby Jones (29) and Owen Daniels (1).http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6632291.html

False Start
09-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Freaking sweet! :jam:

TEXANS84
09-23-2009, 09:35 AM
:fans:

hobie
09-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Let's hope he can follow it up this week with another good game... But props to him and the entire team for winning that !!

Shaft75
09-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm just glad that he got the award and not CJ.

Props to ya Matt! You straight up torched one of the top d's in the NFL.

mancunian
09-23-2009, 09:47 AM
thats good news, now he has to torch the kitties this weekend.

NitroGSXR
09-23-2009, 09:55 AM
*sigh*

I'm really happy for Matt Schaub as a Texans fan. I hope that the experts weren't voting him up simply because they thought highly of the Texans prior to this season begin. I don't know. I'm not saying who I'd vote for. You guys know the answer to that. It's gonna be the Texan. The problem is that I'd be voting for a lie. Chris Johnson absolutely blew us away. He was the only Titan to be running wild all day long. The Tennessee Titans are easily the NFL's best 0-2 team. We could not contain Chris Johnson.

*sigh*

We're still an extremely bad team. Let's see if Reeves' return will change anything. It's great that Schaub's got this personal accomplishment marked off but I want team accolades in addition to the individuals.

*sigh*

Let's get our first win at home this year! We're 0-3 at home and 3-0 on the road this year (counting preseason). That's definitely a new experience there for us Texans fans.

Go Texans!

Vinny
09-23-2009, 09:58 AM
*sigh*

I'm really happy for Matt Schaub as a Texans fan. I hope that the experts weren't voting him up simply because they thought highly of the Texans prior to this season begin. I don't know. I'm not saying who I'd vote for. You guys know the answer to that. It's gonna be the Texan. The problem is that I'd be voting for a lie. Chris Johnson absolutely blew us away. He was the only Titan to be running wild all day long. The Tennessee Titans are easily the NFL's best 0-2 team. We could not contain Chris Johnson.

*sigh*

We're still an extremely bad team. Let's see if Reeves' return will change anything. It's great that Schaub's got this personal accomplishment marked off but I want team accolades in addition to the individuals.

*sigh*

Let's get our first win at home this year! We're 0-3 at home and 3-0 on the road this year (counting preseason). That's definitely a new experience there for us Texans fans.

Go Texans!

gotta throw in a schleprock moment huh? Enjoy the good when you get it...it's a tough league.

NitroGSXR
09-23-2009, 10:01 AM
gotta throw in a schleprock moment huh? Enjoy the good when you get it...it's a tough league.

You're right. I just got extremely depressed after watching NFLn's rebroadcast of the game. My bad.

:d:

:texflag:

Honoring Earl 34
09-23-2009, 10:04 AM

I agree totally . Nitro ... CJ was going against us and Schaub was going against them . Taking that into consideration , who had the better game .

nero THE zero
09-23-2009, 10:22 AM
I think Schaub won over CJ simply because the Texans beat the Titans. It would be bad form to pick the RB of the losing team over the QB of the winning team when each had equally impressive games.

HOU-TEX
09-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree totally . Nitro ... CJ was going against us and Schaub was going against them . Taking that into consideration , who had the better game .

Well, look at it this way, fellas. Schaub had to work harder to achieve the award. CJ just had to run through a couple holes the width of the Grand Canyon and catch a ball standing on an island.

Silver Oak
09-23-2009, 10:23 AM
*sigh*

*sigh*

*sigh*

Go Texans!

Matt played extremely well the entire game, whereas Johnson had the 2 busted plays that contributed mightly to his rushing total. Not detracting away from the great back Johnson is, but IMO, Matt played a more complete game.

Porky
09-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Tie goes to the winner. When's the last time a league MVP was on a losing team? Same theory. Besides, as already pointed out, my grandma would have racked up 200 all purpose yards on this defense. :user:

Maddict5
09-23-2009, 10:45 AM
dear matt schaub, :rolleyes:

hopefully this will stop any dumb threads being started about you for a while
__________________________________________________ __________________

well deserved. not many qb's in the league could do what he did last week. maybe his new nickname should be dr schaub if he continues to slice secondaries apart so surgically ;)

eriadoc
09-23-2009, 02:14 PM
*sigh*

I'm really happy for Matt Schaub as a Texans fan. I hope that the experts weren't voting him up simply because they thought highly of the Texans prior to this season begin. I don't know. I'm not saying who I'd vote for. You guys know the answer to that. It's gonna be the Texan. The problem is that I'd be voting for a lie. Chris Johnson absolutely blew us away.

Chris Johnson had three good plays. Matt Schaub had a few more than that. Also, the voters are usually going to take the QB over anyone else, all things being equal.

NitroGSXR
09-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Chris Johnson had three good plays. Matt Schaub had a few more than that.

That's not really true. He had catches of 16 and 8 yards and runs of 16, 11, and 6 in addition to the TD runs of 91 and 69 then the 57 TD catch.

He alone was responsible for 6 first downs, 3 of which were TDs. As gaudy the TD yards are, they're still touchdowns and that's what winning in the NFL is all about. He single handedly decimated our so-called 'new and improved' defense. If you want to take away the bogus TD (which is ridiculous. it happened), That was on a pass. He still ran through our massive defensive middle. When he couldn't do that, he ran ends. It was silly watching him show just exactly where the Texans are soft.

I'm only assuming so I could be wrong... It seems to me that QBs get over 400 yards and 4 TDs significantly more than a single guy getting just about 300 total yards and 3 TDs. Chris Johnson had an amazing day. A career day for a RB. Schaub can have better numbers and gaudier numbers than his 439? and 4 TDs. I don't think Schaub has had his career day just yet.

Maybe Schaub had more than that but that was somewhat expected. We were not scared to throw the football against that secondary without Haynesworth thrashing the middle.

Jesus! I'm really sorry, guys. I really am! I really need the Jacksonville game to turn out right. We have to destroy them. I'm just really down in the dumps about our football team.

Go Texans!

Silver Oak
09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Jesus! I'm really sorry, guys. I really am! I really need the Jacksonville game to turn out right. We have to destroy them. I'm just really down in the dumps about our football team.

Go Texans!

and this after a win? don't think I would wanna be around you after a loss!

Texecutioner
09-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Congrats Schaub!!:texflag:

JCTexan
09-23-2009, 03:23 PM
That's not really true. He had catches of 16 and 8 yards and runs of 16, 11, and 6 in addition to the TD runs of 91 and 69 then the 57 TD catch.

He alone was responsible for 6 first downs, 3 of which were TDs. As gaudy the TD yards are, they're still touchdowns and that's what winning in the NFL is all about. He single handedly decimated our so-called 'new and improved' defense. If you want to take away the bogus TD (which is ridiculous. it happened), That was on a pass. He still ran through our massive defensive middle. When he couldn't do that, he ran ends. It was silly watching him show just exactly where the Texans are soft.

I'm only assuming so I could be wrong... It seems to me that QBs get over 400 yards and 4 TDs significantly more than a single guy getting just about 300 total yards and 3 TDs. Chris Johnson had an amazing day. A career day for a RB. Schaub can have better numbers and gaudier numbers than his 439? and 4 TDs. I don't think Schaub has had his career day just yet.

Maybe Schaub had more than that but that was somewhat expected. We were not scared to throw the football against that secondary without Haynesworth thrashing the middle.

Go Texans!

The Texans just got done beating the Titans in Tennessee for the 2nd time in team history. They have Jville & Oakland coming to town the next two weeks. Why are you down in the dumps?

NitroGSXR
09-23-2009, 03:27 PM
and this after a win? don't think I would wanna be around you after a loss!

I know it. I know it. Believe me. I was happy. I think the Texans in Tennessee heard me cheering from all the way out here.

It was a great fricking game to watch. So so so much F-U-N to watch. Once the high wore off, I recognized that the Texans were having the same problems that we'd been having after 6 games. One common theme in all six games... run defense down the middle.

Sure, we have the Myers debate and whatnot but that didn't ring as soundly as giving up a TD gash after gash after TD gash after gash. That gets old fast. Playing catchup football can't be too good game after game.

*doom and gloom*

Ok... No more pessimism from me this week until Sunday though. I'll be more positive from now on. Call me Mr. Optimist.

Texans - 39
Kittens - 2

Thorn
09-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Kittens 2?

That means they get a safety on us.

Texans_Chick
09-23-2009, 03:36 PM
*sigh*

*sigh*

*sigh*

Go Texans!

Against a defense that has been traditionally pretty good, and gave Roethlisberger problems (4 sacks, 2 INTs) in a road game, Matt Schaub threw 4 freaking TDs, 0 INTs with NO help from his running game, and NO help from his defense, and with his #2 and #3 WR out due to injuries on the road. Very loud difficult place to play, and Fisher Ball is meant to destroy QBs who get behind in games.

Do you know how unbelievably good that was? Do you know how hard that is to do? And he was getting hit after the pass, it wasn't like he had all day to throw or was completely unpressured.

And it wasn't just all the Andre Johnson show, because 2 of the TDs went to other players.

And Chris Johnson had a huge day against a bad defense. Woopdefreaking do. I can catch a pass when nobody is covering me too.

I think Matt Schaub given the circumstances totally deserves the award over CJ. In the 4th quarter, when it counted, CJ was getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage.

NitroGSXR
09-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Against a defense that has been traditionally pretty good, and gave Roethlisberger problems (4 sacks, 2 INTs) in a road game, Matt Schaub threw 4 freaking TDs, 0 INTs with NO help from his running game, and NO help from his defense, and with his #2 and #3 WR out due to injuries on the road. Very loud difficult place to play, and Fisher Ball is meant to destroy QBs who get behind in games.

Do you know how unbelievably good that was? Do you know how hard that is to do? And he was getting hit after the pass, it wasn't like he had all day to throw or was completely unpressured.

And it wasn't just all the Andre Johnson show, because 2 of the TDs went to other players.

And Chris Johnson had a huge day against a bad defense. Woopdefreaking do. I can catch a pass when nobody is covering me too.

I think Matt Schaub given the circumstances totally deserves the award over CJ. In the 4th quarter, when it counted, CJ was getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage.

Dammit. When you're right you're RIGHT!

LET'S GO TEXANS!!

SheTexan
09-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Congrats Matt!!

The TEXANS made CJ look good! He didn't have to work for much ya know. Esp when you miss assignments and leave the guy wide open. Matt had to work his butt off all day. The Titans gave him nothing!! He deserves the honor! JMO

Texaninlild
09-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Awesome...stay healthy my friend. :texan:

Goatcheese
09-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Kittens 2?

It's a blow out, so they take Matt out in the 4th, and Orlovsky runs out the back of the endzone.

NitroGSXR
09-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Kittens 2?

Yup. Goatcheese got it exactly right. Go rep him.

JDizzle
09-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Schaub did what no other Texans QB has been able to do ever - take the team on his back when things are looking bad and win a game on the road against a good team. No running game, defense falling asleep early and putting him in a pretty big hole, etc. His performance was nothing short of spectacular imo.

TexansSeminole
09-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Anybody else think that this was Schaub's best game ever? Coming off an embarassing game. Little to no running game to work with. That was the best I have ever seen Schaub play I think.

NitroGSXR
09-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Anybody else think that this was Schaub's best game ever? Coming off an embarassing game. Little to no running game to work with. That was the best I have ever seen Schaub play I think.

I thought he did very well in Green Bay and the Denver home game. I wouldn't be able to choose.

wagonhed
09-23-2009, 07:07 PM

I'm new to the forum. Is it acceptable for me to just quote the above post and say "THIS!"?

Wolf
09-23-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm new to the forum. Is it acceptable for me to just quote the above post and say "THIS!"?

^^this^^

your good with that :smiliedance:

oh and welcome to the forum

Thorn
09-23-2009, 07:10 PM

Only if you send all of us $10. :cow:

Specnatz
09-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Schaub did what no other Texans QB has been able to do ever - take the team on his back when things are looking bad and win a game on the road against a good team. No running game, defense falling asleep early and putting him in a pretty big hole, etc. His performance was nothing short of spectacular imo.

But bench Schaub, though!

TheRealJoker
09-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Matt Schaub looked like a bonafide franchise QB last Sunday. Lets hope he keeps up the good work :)

stevn8r
09-24-2009, 12:59 AM
It's a blow out, so they take Matt out in the 4th, and Orlovsky runs out the back of the endzone.

BA DUM DUM!!! :spit:

Good job "Big Bad Schaub"!!! Kill that kitten!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJTbk9fAdWI maybe NSFW

GP
09-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Matt Schaub looked like a bonafide franchise QB last Sunday. Lets hope he keeps up the good work :)

AJ and OD made Matt Schaub look like a franchise QB, IMO.

When those two guys don't get the ball, Matt looks very average to me. Maybe even poor. Matt freaks out and sees 23 blitzers coming at him. Footballs start dropping and bouncing 5 yards on either side of the intended receiver, interceptions get thrown, and he goes into David Carr "hit-the-short-route" mode.

Just sayin....things look a lot different when AJOD are dialed up early and often. Which is on the shoulders of Schaub and Shanahan to ensure that it happens. Every game.

JDizzle
09-24-2009, 10:52 AM
But bench Schaub, though!

I never said to bench him.

Schaub was making some crazy good throws, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here other than trying too hard to have a different and edgy opinion.

HOU-TEX
09-24-2009, 10:59 AM

When those two guys don't get the ball, Matt looks very average to me. Maybe even poor. Matt freaks out and sees 23 blitzers coming at him. Footballs start dropping and bouncing 5 yards on either side of the intended receiver, interceptions get thrown, and he goes into David Carr "hit-the-short-route" mode.

Just sayin....things look a lot different when AJOD are dialed up early and often. Which is on the shoulders of Schaub and Shanahan to ensure that it happens. Every game.

Well, considering AJ and OD make up about half of the players on the field during any given play eligible to catch passes from him, aduh.

Plus, IMO, the passes to JJ for a TD and to Dreessen up the seam were 2 of his best passes that game.

Hooston Texan
09-24-2009, 02:44 PM

Matt had a bad game against the Jets and their exotic blitzes (though, statistically, he did better against them than Tom Brady did the next week). One game does not a season make--either last game or the game before--but his record against blitzes last year was very, very good.

Last year, Schaub had the fifth-highest QB rating against blitzes in the league (per the stats on espn.com). Here's the top 10:

Jeff Garcia: 114.1
Rivers: 113.8
Rodgers: 107.2
Flacco: 106.0
Schaub: 105.1
K. Warner: 103.8
P. Manning: 96.7
Pennington: 96.2
Brees: 95.4
Delhomme: 92.0

Other notables from 2008:
Romo: 85.4
E. Manning: 74.4
McNabb: 84.6
J. Campbell: 90.5
Favre: 86.3
Orton: 75.6
Tavaris Jackson: 81.3
Matt Ryan: 85.9
Cassel: 83.1
Roethlisberger: 69.1
Cutler: 88.7

NitroGSXR
09-24-2009, 03:01 PM

Well... sure it makes a difference but they're not the ones who's making him look like a franchise QB. I absolutely get that we've got Andre and Owen there but what I have to remember is that we've also got Anderson, Davis, Jones, Dressen, Slaton (he throws to Slaton too), and even Glenn Martinez (preseason) who kept on hauling in some pretty spectacular passes. The TD to Jacoby Jones was just as pretty of a pass as you'd ever get to see. I guess I'm trying to broach that... it's been considered that we've got one of the top WR corps in the NFL. That has a lot to do with Matt Schaub.

The 'hit-the-short-route' mode translated into the Texans having the #3 passing attack in the NFL. There's nothing about that that resembles David Carr. I genuinely don't think that Schaub freaks out too much. He gets r-i-d of the football thus avoiding the sack. That's football smarts to me. Very un-Carr-like-esque.

Consider this... Schaub's injuries have pretty much been after he releases the football. I think he generally does not get enough time to throw. His WRs do not have a lot of time to get open either. If anything... he's not a very good scrambler but he shouldn't have to scramble as much as he does. That's on our offensive line. Specifically in the middle of the line.

Most of the Texans offensive problems are coach-related. I believe that. Truly do. We need an upgrade there and it begins with Gary Kubiak. I don't want Kubiak fired or anything like that JUST YET. I think he needs... assistance... from a higher up sort of coach. He's struggled as a head coach.

barrett
09-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I found this to be interesting over at the AFC South Blog:

ESPN Stats and Information is taking some of its Next Level research to the next level.

We’ll be checking in periodically on some of their great quarterback information.

This week’s conclusion from these numbers: Blitz Matt Schaub.

Passing versus standard pressure (average 84.4 passer rating):

1) Matt Schaub, 126.6

4) Peyton Manning, 115.4

13) Kerry Collins, 91.5

29) David Garrard, 68.4
Passing versus added pressure (average 84.4):

10) Manning, 100.5

20) Garrard, 84.5

24) Collins 76.2

32) Schaub, 61.3
Passing 11-20 yards downfield:

2) Schaub, 155.8

5) Manning, 110.7

11) Garrard, 101.5

19) Collins, 77.9
Passing 21-30 yards downfield:

7) Manning, 199.4 119.4

9) Schaub, 95.8

22) Garrard, 54.9

30) Collins, 35.0

So that's a bit opposite from what you're showing.

But when he's got time... He's clearly performing at an elite level.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/3722/next-level-quarterback-numbers

Hooston Texan
09-24-2009, 03:23 PM

Those stats from Kuharsky are from the first two games of this season. Mine are from all of 2008.

No doubt that Schaub had a bad game against the Jets. They blitzed relentlessly (and creatively), and we had no answer. By the end of the season, I imagine his against-the-blitz numbers will be miles better than where they are now. Sort of like a pitcher who gets shelled on opening day: his ERA doesn't begin to look right for a month or two.

dalemurphy
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM

Too small of a sample size. He had one good game and one bad one. I don't think we can conclude that he struggles against the blitz simply because the offense was bad against the heavy-blitzing Jets. I think it has more to do with pressure up the middle. There was very little against the Titans and a lot versus the Jets, thanks to the ILB and Kris Jenkins.

We could, after all, take those same statistics and conclude that he is bad at home and good on the road... or, perhaps he struggles against the color green, but baby blue is his B**ch!

ReliantTexan
09-24-2009, 04:26 PM

Just sayin....things look a lot different when AJOD are dialed up early and often. Which is on the shoulders of Schaub and Shanahan to ensure that it happens. Every game.So your saying that when he's being blitzed like crazy, and has no running game to speak of he looks average? I'll agree with that, I'll also say that is the case with just about every QB in the NFL.

Hervoyel
09-24-2009, 04:46 PM
You're right. I just got extremely depressed after watching NFLn's rebroadcast of the game. My bad.

:d:

That's interesting. I watched it and had the opposite reaction. The mistakes were glaring but fixable. It was the game the week before that would have depressed me. Two weeks ago I saw nothing to hang a silver lining on. Last week we allowed some big plays but I was pleased with the way we played the second half and that the team did not let their own mistakes overwhelm them.

infantrycak
09-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Schaub was tied for second highest yards per attempt in the league last year and he is a HWWNBN small ball guy? Yeah right - hilarious. Next you're going to tell us he doesn't see the middle of the field well.

barrett
09-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Too small of a sample size. He had one good game and one bad one. I don't think we can conclude that he struggles against the blitz simply because the offense was bad against the heavy-blitzing Jets. I think it has more to do with pressure up the middle. There was very little against the Titans and a lot versus the Jets, thanks to the ILB and Kris Jenkins.

We could, after all, take those same statistics and conclude that he is bad at home and good on the road... or, perhaps he struggles against the color green, but baby blue is his B**ch!

From this day forth I will never ever have the tailgating argument with you about details. You've finally shown your true "colors". You have a gift waiting for you in your inbox. It feels so damn good to be right!