PDA

View Full Version : Texans working out DE Howard and other DL today

Hardcore Texan
09-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Saw this linked on Inthebullseye's twitter.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Texans-to-work-out-Reggie-Howard-today.html

Interesting that the article says the Colts are carrying less DL this year and with the presence of Freeney and Mathis this guy got cut and is not PS eligible. He's very fast, just don't know where we have room on the roster for him, who could be cut? Unless someone is going to go IR?

Back to the colts for a second, they got gashed by the run last night on MNF, I hope Gibbs, Shanahan, and Kubiak all split a tub of popcorn watching that game.

Hardcore Texan
09-22-2009, 09:57 AM
All the guys on the injury report have been said they are expected back soon or are very close with the exception of Pitts. And the only OL on the PS is a tackle. Caldwell's versatility could come into play here and they would fill the roster spot with a D-Lineman.

Assuming they are bracing for the worst news from the Pitts injury and getting ready just in case.

Hardcore Texan
09-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Here's the injury report (http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday/InjuryReport.asp) from last Sunday:

Shaun Cody DT - Knee - Did not participate at practice - Questionable
André Davis WR - Concussion - Did not participate at practice - Out
Vonta Leach FB - Knee - Limited participation at practice -Questionable
Antwaun Molden CB - Quad Did not participate at practice - Out
Antonio Smith DE - Illness - Limited participation at practice
Jacques Reeves CB - Fibula Full participation at practice -Questionable
Kevin Walter WR - Hamstring -Limited participation at practice -Questionable
Eugene Wilson S - Knee - Full participation at practice -Probable

The only one I didn't realize that was hurt was Molden, anyone know how bad his quad is? I haven't read anything on it or hear Kubiak mention it.

texanfan2002114
09-22-2009, 10:37 AM
All the guys on the injury report have been said they are expected back soon or are very close with the exception of Pitts. And the only OL on the PS is a tackle. Caldwell's versatility could come into play here and they would fill the roster spot with a O-Lineman.

Assuming they are bracing for the worst news from the Pitts injury and getting ready just in case.

I heard Kubes yesterday on the radio here in Houston and and he said it would be Chris White who would take Studdard's place as the back up swing O-Lineman.

Hardcore Texan
09-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I heard Kubes yesterday on the radio here in Houston and and he said it would be Chris White who would take Studdard's place as the back up swing O-Lineman.

Hmm, I though Caldwell had the leg up on White, but I guess not, good info. Here's a look at the depth chart.

----LG----------------------C-----------------------RG--------
Chester Pitts ----------- Chris Myers------------- Mike Brisiel
Kasey Studdard----------Chris White ------------Antoine Caldwell
------------------------Antoine Caldwell ---------Chris White

DocBar
09-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Saw this linked on Inthebullseye's twitter.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Texans-to-work-out-Reggie-Howard-today.html

Interesting that the article says the Colts are carrying less DL this year and with the presence of Freeney and Mathis this guy got cut and is not PS eligible. He's very fast, just don't know where we have room on the roster for him, who could be cut? Unless someone is going to go IR?

Back to the colts for a second, they got gashed by the run last night on MNF, I hope Gibbs, Shanahan, and Kubiak all split a tub of popcorn watching that game.HMMMMMMMM.................
Could we see Smith and MW move inside w/ Barwin and Howard on the edges? As for the Colts, they've buit their D to stop the pass, figuring teams trying to come from behind will pass more. They're regularly gashed by power running teams.

blitz90
09-22-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm all for whatever can help us on the D-line.

m5kwatts
09-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Howard is FAST, I watched him in preseason and was getting scared, didn't realize he was cut

El Tejano
09-22-2009, 12:17 PM
But wouldn't they do anything to keep this guy if he were any good? I mean, wasn't he a draft pick?

blitz90
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/marcushoward/profile?id=HOW303673

6' 237# ? Dude is small for a DE. I guess he'd be strictly a situational package player.

Hardcore Texan
09-22-2009, 12:47 PM
The article also says the Texans are working some DT's too, but no names are mentioned.

Hardcore Texan
09-22-2009, 12:48 PM
HMMMMMMMM.................
Could we see Smith and MW move inside w/ Barwin and Howard on the edges? As for the Colts, they've buit their D to stop the pass, figuring teams trying to come from behind will pass more. They're regularly gashed by power running teams.

True, and it's something they have wanted to get better at and still have not. The typical excuse they like to use or the media likes to use is that Bob Sanders in injured.

HJam72
09-22-2009, 12:56 PM
What's our excuse? Glenn Earl is injured? LOL

AnthonyE
09-22-2009, 01:43 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/marcushoward/profile?id=HOW303673

6' 237# ? Dude is small for a DE. I guess he'd be strictly a situational package player.

Yeah, he ran 4.4 40 at last years combine too.

HOU-TEX
09-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, he ran 4.4 40 at last years combine too.

Maybe he can play SS for us. God knows we need one

76Texan
09-22-2009, 02:18 PM
yeah, he ran 4.4 40 at last years combine too.

4.47?

76Texan
09-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Maybe he can play SS for us. God knows we need one

The words are he's not good in coverage to even play LB.
But who knows, at this moment, I'm willing to try somebody else at SS, perhaps even having Adibi lose a few pounds and move to that spot.
I'm still not sure about Busing!

m5kwatts
09-22-2009, 03:55 PM
This dude's a lineman, he's bigger than his measurables and plays bigger than 237. I was impressed by him in PS to say the least.

leebigeztx
09-22-2009, 05:19 PM
When the texans dip into free agency for lineman, they need to go get a pro bowl caliber guy vs a guy they think will be solid. What does that mean? Go get hampton,wilfolk,seymor, or rogers. 3 will be un restricted and the other will be traded. Sit rogers,hampton, or wilfolk on the center in a 0 technique and line okoye in a 3 tech. Everyone on the d line would be better because u have to double that 0 technique. If that guy has to be doubled and mario has protection slid his way, that leaves okoye and smith with man and a half between the 2. This would solve your run and some pass defense. They just need to stop b-sing and get impact guys.

On offense, this is a pass to setup the run offense. If they throw more screen and swings to slaton, getting the defense moving side to side more, then they can get their run game going. Their problems have been is they have played against penetrating defenses which is bad news for a oline that likes to play on that rail.

TheRealJoker
09-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Not sure how Howard is gonna help us stop the run. We've got our speed rusher in Barwin, I dont think Howard would be an upgrade over him (especially when you factor in this is Barwin's 2nd year EVER playing DE and he's getting better every game).

We're soft up the middle, the pass rush will come once we are playing with a nice lead and the D can pin their ears back. We need someone in the middle that can keep teams from gashing us for 200+ yards a game! If the opposing team can run it up the middle on 3rd and 19 and score a 50+ yard touchdown, another pass rushing end wont help us to stop that.

m5kwatts
09-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Not sure how Howard is gonna help us stop the run. We've got our speed rusher in Barwin, I dont think Howard would be an upgrade over him (especially when you factor in this is Barwin's 2nd year EVER playing DE and he's getting better every game).

We're soft up the middle, the pass rush will come once we are playing with a nice lead and the D can pin their ears back. We need someone in the middle that can keep teams from gashing us for 200+ yards a game! If the opposing team can run it up the middle on 3rd and 19 and score a 50+ yard touchdown, another pass rushing end wont help us to stop that.

The one improvement from the D though, the gashings are BIG gains. Its not the pound pound for 5 yards every run gashing that went on the years before this. The D deserves credit for putting the Jets and Titans in all these 3rd and long situations. They lose all that credit though when they give up 1st downs on those though.

Brisco_County
09-23-2009, 12:44 AM
The one improvement from the D though, the gashings are BIG gains. Its not the pound pound for 5 yards every run gashing that went on the years before this. The D deserves credit for putting the Jets and Titans in all these 3rd and long situations. They lose all that credit though when they give up 1st downs on those though.

I agree. The holes exist because of inexperience and adjustment to the new system. Those are correctable problems. Once the holes are patched, then we can give a more accurate critique of the system.

If the holes aren't patched, then fixing the coaching problem will be a bigger priority.

Maddict5
09-23-2009, 04:51 AM
But wouldn't they do anything to keep this guy if he were any good? I mean, wasn't he a draft pick?

james harrison was cut many times by the steelers & put on the PS

Bubbajwp
09-23-2009, 07:10 AM
I know nothing about him but he looks like he should switch to OLB in a 3-4.

Ofcourse watching him and Barwin at OLB and MW - Dejuan R - and A Smith could be a cool 3-4 package to use once or twice a game. errrrrr maybe we should try that in the preseason first.

El Tejano
09-23-2009, 08:58 AM
I could've swore at one point, we did go into a 3-4 because Barwin dropped back in coverage.

El Tejano
09-23-2009, 10:02 AM
So did we ever find out who was the other DL they tried out?