PDA

View Full Version : Slaton or Brown?

Hardcore Texan
09-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I love me some Steve Slaton like most of us here, but there is no denying that he had ball security issues today, many of them. Last week he fumbled in the RZ as well. Brown came in today and made some positive things happen. I am wondering if we will see Brown play a more prominant role, maybe even start and Slaton be more of a situational/3rd down back.

I amn not advocating anything....yet, so don't flame me, just thinking out loud. Kubiak hates not taking care of the ball, it's the fastest way to find the bench on this team. For my money, I think Shanahan will find a way to find good playing time for both, keeping those legs fresh.

Runner
09-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I love me some Steve Slaton like most of us here, but there is no denying that he had ball security issues today, many of them. Last week he fumbled in the RZ as well. Brown came in today and made some positive things happen. I am wondering if we will see Brown play a more prominant role, maybe even start and Slaton be more of a situational/3rd down back.

I amn not advocating anything....yet, so don't flame me, just thinking out loud. Kubiak hates not taking care of the ball, it's the fastest way to find the bench on this team. For my money, I think Shanahan will find a way to find good playing time for both, keeping those legs fresh.

Ouch. Last year it was Steve Slaton or Chris Johnson. Times have changed.

I expect better things from Slaton the next few games. We shall see.

Hardcore Texan
09-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Ouch. Last year it was Steve Slaton or Chris Johnson. Times have changed.

I expect better things from Slaton the next few games. We shall see.

Me too, he is a resiliant young man and a gamer, he will get it turned around but it's nice to see Brown healthy and contributing.

El Tejano
09-21-2009, 12:16 AM
If we want to win games and go to the playoffs we have to protect the ball and that message has to come across nice and clear and Steve is no exception to the rule. Start Chris Brown. Even if for a week to wake up Steve.

NitroGSXR
09-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Neither!!

THROW THE GOSHDANG FOOTBALL!!!

You stay with what's working!

TexansSeminole
09-21-2009, 12:24 AM
It's not just ball security, his vision has gone down hill.

I'd have liked more carries for Brown in the first two games.

It doesn't matter what Slaton did last year, he is not playing well this year in all facets of the game except receiving. I'd start Brown until I see Slaton get yards consistently.

Scooter
09-21-2009, 12:56 AM
i think "down hill" is a bit of an understatement ... if slaton's vision were any worse he'd need a canine assistant. obviously our line needs to step it up, but even when there are lanes slaton's unable to find them and he's started dancing around because of it. that's not even touching the fumbles which are unacceptable. brown's not the threat that slaton is but he's much more consistant, especially when our run blocking is having so much trouble. i think we should lean on brown a bit more, or even have him start games while we try to work our run game back into shape.

Blazing Arrow
09-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Trust me no Brown .... that guy is like glass. He will get you all excited then break your heart with some random injury.

Titan fans know to well he seem to get you all excited then disappear.

JDizzle
09-21-2009, 01:23 AM
Slaton has faced a couple of top notch lines in the league so I cut him some slack there. His fumblitis is unusual though, don't recall him doing that much last year.

Carr Bombed
09-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Trust me no Brown .... that guy is like glass. He will get you all excited then break your heart with some random injury.

Titan fans know to well he seem to get you all excited then disappear.

Who cares, then we'll use him until he breaks.....why save him on the bench when he's healthy? What do you want us to do...save him until he gets hurt in practice? If he's healthy he needs to contribute while he's still healthy.

JCTexan
09-21-2009, 01:32 AM
If we want to win games and go to the playoffs we have to protect the ball and that message has to come across nice and clear and Steve is no exception to the rule. Start Chris Brown. Even if for a week to wake up Steve.

It's not just ball security, his vision has gone down hill.

I'd have liked more carries for Brown in the first two games.

It doesn't matter what Slaton did last year, he is not playing well this year in all facets of the game except receiving. I'd start Brown until I see Slaton get yards consistently.

Guys are jumping the gun a little too soon imo. The Texans just faced two of the top run defenses in the league. They play Jacksonville next. I would start Slaton hoping that he turns on the jets against them. That game could easily change his whole season around, but if he starts out slow against them I agree. Lets see more of Brown.

m5kwatts
09-21-2009, 01:39 AM
I'd like to see Brown used about the same just sooner in the game. Don't wait, get him in right away and give the defense a pounding with 2 different guys. Oh and RUN BLOCK.

CloakNNNdagger
09-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Someone prior to this last game posted that fumbling was not something new for Slaton in college.

I'd like to clarify this claim. Slaton in a loss to Louisville (44-34) had a great game, playing a little over 2 quarters........18 carries for 156 yds. He then had 2 consecutive snap fumbles which helped negatively turn the tide of the game. It turns out that just prior to these plays, he sustained a severe blow to his elbow and was unable to grip the ball. He was quickly thereafter taken out of the game.

Slaton has never left a pattern of fumbling.

TheRealJoker
09-21-2009, 09:47 AM
We've gotta get Tom Coughlin to stop by and do whatever he did to cure Tiki Barber's fumbling problem. We cant afford to have Slaton starting if he's gonna cough up the ball every game. We might as well let Jacoby take snaps at running back!!!

noxiousdog
09-21-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm much more worried about the fumbles than the yards per carry.

silvrhand
09-21-2009, 10:10 AM
This will be one of the easier calls for Kubiak, if he continues to fumble he's going to have to sit.

Don't care if he has back to back 100 yard games and running over people if he continues to fumble then he'll have to sit on the bench. Turnovers are a killer for this team and can't happen.

bigbrewster2000
09-21-2009, 10:19 AM
We've gotta get Tom Coughlin to stop by and do whatever he did to cure Tiki Barber's fumbling problem. We cant afford to have Slaton starting if he's gonna cough up the ball every game. We might as well let Jacoby take snaps at running back!!!

He had Barber carry the ball higher against his chest. The issue I see with Slaton is he looks like he is trying to run too hard. And when he does that the ball slips off his chest a little and he stops squeezing the ball. I am betting he can turn it around pretty quickly. Thats a simple study game film and then get in the right mind frame when you have the ball issue.

Here is to Slaton getting in the right mind frame against the Jags next week.

BigBull17
09-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Guys are jumping the gun a little too soon imo. The Texans just faced two of the top run defenses in the league. They play Jacksonville next. I would start Slaton hoping that he turns on the jets against them. That game could easily change his whole season around, but if he starts out slow against them I agree. Lets see more of Brown.

I just want Brown to get earlier touches. When Slaton struggles, you have to spell him a bit, then come back to him. Maybe give Moats a few carries.

HOU-TEX
09-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Both. We've got to keep trying to pound the ball in order for the offense to work correctly. I don't care who gets the bulk of the carries, but we need them both to keep on keepin on.

Hardcore Texan
09-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Neither!!

THROW THE GOSHDANG FOOTBALL!!!

You stay with what's working!

Without an effective running game the play action won't work and the D will just pin their ears back and go after Schaub all day long.

JB
09-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Without an effective running game the play action won't work and the D will just pin their ears back and go after Schaub all day long.

Like yesterday?

Hardcore Texan
09-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Like yesterday?

They respected it enough to bite on the play action several times, that's what we need at the least.

JB
09-21-2009, 01:07 PM
They respected it enough to bite on the play action several times, that's what we need at the least.

Exactly my point. Even though we were not able to run the ball effectively, they still respected the possibilties enough to biter on the play-action passes.

They were very determined to shut Slaton down, and concentrated on that more than pass defense.

Hardcore Texan
09-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Exactly my point. Even though we were not able to run the ball effectively, they still respected the possibilties enough to biter on the play-action passes.

They were very determined to shut Slaton down, and concentrated on that more than pass defense.

That defines the word effectively to me because it worked. You're right they were determined to shut down the run and it cost them, but we have to keep running the ball and we need to do it even better to keep the passing game clicking and have the explosiveness we saw yesterday.

JB
09-21-2009, 01:15 PM
That defines the word effectively to me because it worked. You're right they were determined to shut down the run and it cost them, but we have to keep running the ball and we need to do it even better to keep the passing game clicking and have the explosiveness we saw yesterday.

Totally agree!

Hardcore Texan
09-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Totally agree!

Something else we can agree on....your avatar! :texflag:

silvrhand
09-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Red Zone anyone?

We still need a running game, it improves your red zone efficiency when it's 1st and 5 on the 5 yard line, cause it's much easier to cover your receivers when the field is shortened up.

Hervoyel
09-21-2009, 01:30 PM

This. We've just faced the #4 and #5 run defenses. Eventually we're going to play somebody who isn't in the top 10 and when we do Slaton will have a big game. It won't be this week though. Jacksonville is #8. Still it's better than playing these two teams we just faced.

Where are we? We're right down at the bottom at #30. Way to go Frank, impressive job you've done there with the run D. You're actually 7 spots lower than Richard Smith finished last year AND you have Brian Cushing. Please figure it out and put a stop to the breakdowns. They're killing us.

GP
09-21-2009, 01:41 PM

That's why you throw it early and often to AJ and OD.

Getting those two guys into the mix, early and often, will nullify the pash rush every game. Otherwise, Schaub has only the shallow routes ran by guys like Anderson and whoever is at RB....which the LBs and DBs will eat up all game long.

That was the difference between the two games this season, thus far: In the Jets game, AJ and OD were not targeted early. And the whole offense imploded. We were limited to the short routes, and the Jets were sharking that every time and blowing the play up. Our lack of involvement for AJ and OD cost us that game, IMO. Giving up huge TD runs didn't help, either.

In the Titans game, it looked like this was going to happen again. But someone (Schaub or Shanahan or Kubiak or AJ/OD) figured out that we gotta' not give up on it; that we needed to keep throwing it their way early and often.

We saw 'Meco, in the preseason, prove he's ready for that contract. I think Owen Daniels showed that the previous years were no fluke and that he, too, is ready for that new contract. I'm betting OD and 'Meco get deals that are right for both sides.

This team has a WR/TE combo that's lethal when it's working properly, and so much of that relies upon Schaub and Shanahan making sure they purposefully target them early and often.

GP
09-21-2009, 01:55 PM
This. We've just faced the #4 and #5 run defenses. Eventually we're going to play somebody who isn't in the top 10 and when we do Slaton will have a big game. It won't be this week though. Jacksonville is #8. Still it's better than playing these two teams we just faced.

Where are we? We're right down at the bottom at #30. Way to go Frank, impressive job you've done there with the run D. You're actually 7 spots lower than Richard Smith finished last year AND you have Brian Cushing. Please figure it out and put a stop to the breakdowns. They're killing us.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Steve Slaton will use the momentum that was earned by the rest of the offense this past Sunday, and he will slowly creep back into last season's form.

I think he isn't ready to be that leader on offense that you might expect from a RB who can do what he has done last season. It feels, to me, like he was cautious and timid (like the rest of the team was). In short: He isn't mature enough, yet, to strike out on his own and START the change that's needed.

But now with the offense suddenly remembering what it did last year, and that they can do it again, I think he's going to start playing better.

Chris Brown picked up gains because he's a veteran and he has seen it all. He knows there will be ups and downs. He isn't phased by adversity because he's been around long enough.

Steve, IMO, didn't lose his physical abilities overnight. He hasn't even lost them at all, to be honest here. He just forgot like the rest of the offense did. But I think he won't be "back" until game 3 or 4.

Look, I drafted him in the 2nd round of my FFL. I also drafted Schaub and AJ. After week 1's debacle, I sat Schaub (stupid move, since he blew up for 4 TDs and almost 400 yds. passing, but oh well). However, I DID start AJ because you don't sit AJ. Ever. If anybody on this team is going to do well, it's him. I also sat Slaton, because I can see what's happening: Dude is going to need the guys around him playing better before he can. He's not dragging his feet or anything, I just think he's a RB who does well when the rest of the guys are clicking.

I have to debate whether to start him vs. Jax or wait until the Raiders game. Regardless of what happens in the Jax game, I am saying right now that Slaton is going to be back in rhythm by the Raiders game.

And all of this concern about whether he was a fluke, or not, will be history.

Games 3 and 4 will tell us a lot about Steve Slaton. I just don't think he has the maturity and veteran "mindset" (yet) to bust out when the rest of the team isn't clicking smoothly. He feeds off of what's going on around him, and that's why he fumbled the ball the past two weeks: He's not thinking about the right things (which cut back to pursue, etc.)...he's lapsing on his focus because he's unsure and timid--Which he absorbed off the rest of the team and its malfunctions up until now.

Hardcore Texan
09-21-2009, 01:56 PM
That's why you throw it early and often to AJ and OD.

Getting those two guys into the mix, early and often, will nullify the pash rush every game. Otherwise, Schaub has only the shallow routes ran by guys like Anderson and whoever is at RB....which the LBs and DBs will eat up all game long.

That was the difference between the two games this season, thus far: In the Jets game, AJ and OD were not targeted early. And the whole offense imploded. We were limited to the short routes, and the Jets were sharking that every time and blowing the play up. Our lack of involvement for AJ and OD cost us that game, IMO. Giving up huge TD runs didn't help, either.

In the Titans game, it looked like this was going to happen again. But someone (Schaub or Shanahan or Kubiak or AJ/OD) figured out that we gotta' not give up on it; that we needed to keep throwing it their way early and often.

We saw 'Meco, in the preseason, prove he's ready for that contract. I think Owen Daniels showed that the previous years were no fluke and that he, too, is ready for that new contract. I'm betting OD and 'Meco get deals that are right for both sides.

This team has a WR/TE combo that's lethal when it's working properly, and so much of that relies upon Schaub and Shanahan making sure they purposefully target them early and often.

I agree with that too.

El Tejano
09-21-2009, 05:02 PM
I think the better question is do we still need Mark Bruener?