PDA

View Full Version : Is this the biggest win in team history?

Wolf6151
09-20-2009, 03:36 PM
WOW, great game. I can't believe we just beat a great divisional rival team on the road. Congrats to the Texans. Biggest win in team history?

beerlover
09-20-2009, 03:40 PM
WOW, great game. I can't believe we just beat a great divisional rival team on the road. Congrats to the Texans. Biggest win in team history?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! signed :fans:

jaayteetx
09-20-2009, 03:41 PM
top two or three for sure, after the worst game in team history i'd say. way to turn it around boys!

HJam72
09-20-2009, 03:41 PM
YES IT IS. :fans:

Thorn
09-20-2009, 03:42 PM
If it turns the team around for good, then yes. If not, it's still the second best after The Dallas Game.

swisher
Hell yes.

stingray
Hells Yeah!!!

Ryan
Imo, yes!

valleytexfan
09-20-2009, 03:43 PM
top two or three for sure, after the worst game in team history i'd say. way to turn it around boys!

I side with this...The win over the Colts at home was big, the win at Green Bay was big, the win at home against the Titans last year was big, but TODAY WAS AMAZING! :splits:

76Texan
HELLA YEAH! :turtle::kingkong::texflag::cow:

Dan B.
If it turns the team around for good, then yes. If not, it's still the second best after The Dallas Game.

Welcome back. Bet that old avatar feels pretty sweet eh?

powerfuldragon
it was a good game, entertaining as all hell, physical, and great for us fans.. but our biggest win was still 19-10.

Mr. White
It's up there.

If they take this attitude into the rest of the season, then it'll be the game that the franchise turned the corner.

Thorn
09-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Welcome back. Bet that old avatar feels pretty sweet eh?

The Sarge is smiling today!!!!! :)

Texan Asylum
09-20-2009, 03:46 PM

Hard to vote against 19-10! :texflag:

Rep...

Lucky
09-20-2009, 03:47 PM
This win could go down as the biggest in team history. If they continue to play with this type of effort and intensity.

The Texans won because they made more plays than the Titans. This should end the talk of whether they have enough talent to win. They do. They didn't play smart. There's a lot of room for improvement. But, this team laid it on the line today. That's all we've ever asked for.

Texans34Life
09-20-2009, 03:50 PM
It's definitely up there, but I can't dismiss our inauguration win beating the Cowbitches.

MojoMan
09-20-2009, 03:52 PM
This was a great victory for this years team, and for the franchise as a whole. This is the first time that the Texans clearly established in no uncertain terms that they are at parity with the Titans, and a force to be reckoned with.

It really felt to me like the Texan's team discarded the expansion franchise label once and for all today.

All that being said, I still think beating the Cowboys 19-10 in their first NFL game ever was the biggest win in franchise history. The Dallas Cowboys will never, and I mean never, live that down.

infantrycak
09-20-2009, 03:54 PM
This win could go down as the biggest in team history. If they continue to play with this type of effort and intensity.

The Texans won because they made more plays than the Titans. This should end the talk of whether they have enough talent to win. They do. They didn't play smart. There's a lot of room for improvement. But, this team laid it on the line today. That's all we've ever asked for.

What he said.

This was the most entertaining game they have ever played and the most intense. 19-10 was great but mainly because of the history of the fans rather than the significance to the team.

valleytexfan
09-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Hard to vote against 19-10! :texflag:

Rep...

Of course, this goes without saying...or what the heck, I'll always say it! :smiliedance:

HJam72
09-20-2009, 03:58 PM
That was one of the worst seasons the Cowboys ever had. It was great for a first ever game and all that, but we only won because they sucked even more than we did.

In comparison, this Texans team (along with the Jets beating the Pats) just proved that it is in fact competing for a DIVISION TITLE. We still gotta face the Colts and Manning, and we got a long season ahead, but we are fighting for it....and that takes the kind of guts we saw today.

Texans Pride
09-20-2009, 04:00 PM

easily, without a doubt. . .biggest win.

euro-Texan
09-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread but, NO we gave up 100000 rushing and receiving yards to Johnson and will be laughed at because of it. I'm happy with the win, but this one was ugly and not our best. I would say our game against green bay last year where we beat them in the freezing conditions was my favorate.

Wolf
09-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Right now, I will echo what others say

This win is HUGE IF this sets the tone for the rest of the season, If we play Jacksonville and get pushed around , then this game is just meant nothing. Good teams are consistent, we haven't got close to that yet except we are consistently inconsistent

if we don't show consistency then chalk this up to "any given sunday"

TexansFight
09-20-2009, 04:07 PM
This is definitely the biggest win in franchise history pending on how our season turns out. This win has saved our season so far at this point and if we play up to our potential and become a playoff team we will all look back to this game.

As disappointed and disgusted as I was last week, I am proud and ecstatic this week. Of course the win is what makes me happy, but the fight, moxie, and gut check in standing up for your teammates put a HUGE smile on my face.

Buffi2
09-20-2009, 04:07 PM
We seemed bound and determined to win this game, no matter what, which makes it huge. If this is the turning point for the Texans - then, yes, it is by far the biggest game in our history.:doot:

Houston_Fanatic
09-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Yes!

Brisco_County
09-20-2009, 04:16 PM
It depends on what happens from here. If we make the playoffs, then I'd say yes. But right now I still think the win at Green Bay last year was the biggest. It's the game where Schaub demonstrated a new confidence and it probably saved Kubiak's job.

HJam72
09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread but, NO we gave up 100000 rushing and receiving yards to Johnson and will be laughed at because of it. I'm happy with the win, but this one was ugly and not our best. I would say our game against green bay last year where we beat them in the freezing conditions was my favorate.

Yes, and our running game sucked against another stout 3-4 D; BUT, our passing game overcame it. It doesn't matter. We still won....and it wasn't just luck either. Our much maligned QB dropped about 350 and 4 TDs on the Titans in Tennessee.

texanmojo
09-20-2009, 04:22 PM
But right now I still think the win at Green Bay last year was the biggest.

Having been at that game...it was easily the one of the best.

I would rate them this way:

1.) 19-10...
2.) The win in Green Bay (since I got to go to that one :) )
3.) Beating the Titans on their home turf today.

dickieb
09-20-2009, 04:22 PM
No, we were very lucky today. It was a big win but things that usually go the other teams way went our way and on the road - amazing. I always thought I would rather be lucky than good, but I would like to see us come out and dominate some teams.

Wolf
09-20-2009, 04:24 PM
you can rate the game on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092007/2009/REG2/texans@titans

average rating right now is 84

JCTexan
09-20-2009, 04:27 PM
No, we were very lucky today. It was a big win but things that usually go the other teams way went our way and on the road - amazing. I always thought I would rather be lucky than good, but I would like to see us come out and dominate some teams.

We beat a playoff team on their home turf. I wasn't expecting the Texans to dominate. I was just hoping for a win. Now Jville and Oakland I'm hoping they dominate... 3-1 would be nice!

Brisco_County
09-20-2009, 04:28 PM

I'm not the type that reads too much into big wins, but I'm also going to give credit where it's due. Today's win wasn't luck. It was Schaub passing to Johnson and Owen Daniels, which is our signature strength. Also, we've beaten this team on their turf in recent history, so this shouldn't be shocking. We got in their heads and got mean. I love it. Very happy today.

Dread-Head
09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
THAT is how you play the game of football! To hell with an eye for an eye. You lose an eye...YOU BLIND the other guy! That was one for the AGES! If the next 14 games are like this one we can look foward to seeing the play offs here in Houston baby! The Texans are on their way to FINALLY getting some R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

Dread-Head
09-20-2009, 04:49 PM

LUCK? Duck Luck! (Quack) They went out there and played the way teams in the National Football league are SUPPOSED to play this game. Despite Kubiak not challenging an OBVIOUS bad call on an André Johnson reception they wre running on all cylinders. Luck had NOTHING to do with today.

dickieb
09-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey I'm happy for the win - a win is a win, but lady luck was definately on our side today.

DocBar
09-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Regardless of what happens the rest of the year, I list this as best win ever 2a. It's the 2nd time we've beaten the Tacks on their turf, but still behind 19-10 and beating the Colts. Beating division opponents is how you get to the playoffs in this league, and this is a great start. Here's to 2-0 in our division after beating up on the Jags next week.

MightyTExan
09-20-2009, 05:04 PM
That was one of the craziest games I've ever seen! Winning cures all ills.

Heath Shuler
09-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Yes; the Texans finally pushed back. In seasons past I think we would have folded up shop, but not this time.

Wolf6151
09-20-2009, 05:12 PM
I side with this...The win over the Colts at home was big, the win at Green Bay was big, the win at home against the Titans last year was big, but TODAY WAS AMAZING! :splits:

I think this was bigger than any of those wins. In the Colts game we were at home and the Colts were already in the playoffs, they had nothing to play for. In the Green Bay game, Tennessee is a divisional team and perennial playoff team unlike the Packers. The win against Tennessee was at home.

This game was against a perennial playoff team, divisional rival, and a road game. It doesn't get any harder than that. I can't wait for the MNF rematch, hope the Texans are up for it and wearing battle red.

infantrycak
09-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Yes, and our running game sucked against another stout 3-4 D

They run a 4-3.

Wolf6151
09-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Can you imagine how angry Bud Adams is right now? We just ***** slapped him in his new home.

Texecutioner
09-20-2009, 05:20 PM
It's not even close to being one of the biggest wins in the history of this team.

Our defense gave up over 30 points to one of the worst offenses in the entire league and we had huge mental mistakes that killed us.

IT is one of the best offensive games in the history of this franchise passing wise though, probably the best game of Shaub's career as a Texan though. I'll say that.

Wolf
09-20-2009, 05:24 PM
guys on NFLN made a good point .. they were talking about Cincy and basically said.. if a team wants to shed an image.. the team has to start stacking some "W"'s

but we knew that

ChrisG
09-20-2009, 05:26 PM
all i gotta say is

:breakdance::turtle::bender::perfect10:

texanmojo
09-20-2009, 08:34 PM
It's the 1st time we've beaten the Tacks on their turf, but still behind 19-10 and beating the Colts.

Texans beat the Titans in their house either in their 2nd, or 3rd year...i think it was 5 years ago.

DocBar
09-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Texans beat the Titans in their house either in their 2nd, or 3rd year...i think it was 5 years ago.hmmmmmm.....if that's the case, I'm kinda redfaced, but in a good way, cuz we won today.

HJam72
09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
They run a 4-3.

I know. I was a little wired earlier.

TheRealJoker
09-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Biggest win ever.

HJam72
09-20-2009, 08:40 PM
It's not even close to being one of the biggest wins in the history of this team.

Our defense gave up over 30 points to one of the worst offenses in the entire league and we had huge mental mistakes that killed us.

IT is one of the best offensive games in the history of this franchise passing wise though, probably the best game of Shaub's career as a Texan though. I'll say that.

Yeah, it's not the best game we've ever played, but I still think it's the biggest win.

swisher
09-20-2009, 09:30 PM

The question wasn't was this the best game they've ever played, but the biggest win. Which it is.

Second Honeymoon
09-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I think this is without doubt the biggest win in franchise history. Nothing compares to it especially when the win is taken in context.

We just sent the Titans to 0-2 and to the bottom of the conference.

The team dropped the ball and took a lot of punishment and still kept fighting.

Schaub looked great and although the defense still has big big problems, they played well in spurts and did put some pressure on Collins especially when they blitzed.

Nothing makes me happier than beating the Titans and they could be staring 0-3 in the face because they play at New York against a tough and aggressive New York Jets team. They then play Jvill then the Colts....

...Is a 1-4 start in the cards for the Titans? that is too freaking sweet. your welcome, Bud.

False Start
09-20-2009, 10:22 PM

My thoughts exactly! :cool:

TD
09-20-2009, 10:23 PM
19-10 until a playoff clincher.....playoff clincher until a playoff win...yadda yadda yadda...Lombardi Trophy.

TexansSeminole
09-20-2009, 11:30 PM
This is the biggest win in team history IMO. The team played with a toughness and attitude I haven't seen before.

Having said that, we still have major faults and we are inconsistent in my book. For one, we have the worst rush defense in the league. If not the worst, it is bottom 3. We also can't run the ball, we are probably at the bottom 3 in this category.

Those are just our major issues.

I'm ecstatic about the win, but at the same time I am awfully worried about these trends.

TexanBacker93
09-21-2009, 12:44 AM
It isn't the biggest victory in team history until the entire season is played out. At least that's my opinion. If the Texans use this game to springboard themselves to a winning season and a playoff trip then it could definitely be the best.

HoustonFrog
09-21-2009, 08:19 AM
No its not. I'm not sure how you can call a game the biggest when the same problems reared their ugly head from the week before. It was big from an emotional standpoint...they faught back...but there is the issue of why they started flat after last week, where was the defense, no running game, etc. Just like last week wasn't the biggest loss. People around here(Houston) are so bipolar on this stuff. If they lose again next week are people going to dive off a cliff?The reality is this win looks massive in the rearview mirror if they build off of it and make the playoffs. Until then it was a rivalry win and a fun game to watch.

Dread-Head
09-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Biggest win ever.

Nope. Biggest win ever is STILL the first game in franchise history to the debutantes from the other end of 59. The game against Tennessee can be either one of two things either the beginning of something beautiful that finally gives the Texans the respect they deserve OR a bright and shining moment in a season that proves to be mediocre at best. I'm hoping this will be the Texan's equivalent of the Oiler's Monday Night Miami game in the dome. Where's Bum Phillips for a sound bite when we need him?

ATRAIN
09-21-2009, 08:54 AM
This was the best game to watch as a Texans fan for sure. I cant wait for battle red sunday!!!

JB
09-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Nope. Biggest win ever is STILL the first game in franchise history to the debutantes from the other end of 59. The game against Tennessee can be either one of two things either the beginning of something beautiful that finally gives the Texans the respect they deserve OR a bright and shining moment in a season that proves to be mediocre at best. I'm hoping this will be the Texan's equivalent of the Oiler's Monday Night Miami game in the dome. Where's Bum Phillips for a sound bite when we need him?

Texarkana???

HoustonFrog
09-21-2009, 08:56 AM

There is a team in Loredo?

Texarkana???

LOL..at the same time

Dread-Head
09-21-2009, 08:56 AM
I hate to get all Winston Wolfe here but: "Let's not go $ucking each other's (expletive deleted by poster) just yet." There are still 14 games remaining if my calendar is right.

Goldensilence
09-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Big win for sure. I'll echo a few other posters thoughts, we won a big game on the road early in the season. I think its what we do with the momentum from the win that counts.

I was glad to see Kubiak not satisfied with just getting the win and he wasn't hesitant to point out the reality that this team has a long way to go still.

From an emotional context yes, biggest game in that we came off a terrible loss and went on the road against a team that was big. Too many mental mistakes still. Though it was good to see some fight in the team.

Hervoyel
09-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Every time the Texans win a game they maybe shouldn't win we see people talking about whether or not this was the biggest win in team history. I swear I don't think that a season has gone by when somebody didn't ask this question about some game.

Enough already. It was a win and our team doesn't have any history yet. Can't it just be a great win and hopefully the first of many this season?

Texecutioner
09-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah, it's not the best game we've ever played, but I still think it's the biggest win.

It isn't the biggest win, when you've got your defense giving up almost 300 all purpose yards to the other team's RB on plays that were down right pathetic. This win did not show a team that's turning a corner. It showed a team that still has a very good offense. Tennessee did not do well against Pittsburgh in their first game as far as their secondary went either. Tennessee was great against the run against the Steelers and the Texans but horrible at stopping the pass.

This was just another win that happened to be a good game. If all the fans were to think that this is the biggest win just because it was a good game, then man o man is our franchise a sad one. Sorry, but I saw way to many botched assignments and missed tackles to call this the biggest win when this defense played the way it did against one of the worst offenses in the entire NFL last season.

At the end of the day, we had a great day on offense and another atrocious day on defense. In the end the offense got us the W, but barely got us the W. The Texans had similar wins like this last year when Schaub ran that TD in and people were saying it was the biggest win. It was a good game to watch from a fan's perspective and entertaining, but very frustrating to watch from the defensive side of the ball. I can't believe that we let Tennessee put up that many points on us, and let one guy abuse us that bad. No way is this the biggest win with that part of the game being a fact.

TexansSeminole
09-21-2009, 02:33 PM
I think people are confusing the biggest WIN with the best game we've ever played. That was certainly not the best we've ever played, not by a long shot. However, in those type of games, where the intensity starts to rise, we usually fold. This time we stepped up and I don't think I have ever seen that before. So it was a huge WIN in that respect. We started to toughen up and play with attitude.

Did anybody see Kubiak getting hugs and handshakes from the players after the game? I think everybody knew that this was it for Kubiak. They had to win this game for the coach, or he was pretty much gone. And they stepped up against a tough team.

When Andre Johnson started talking trash to Finnegan I knew it was on. When a humble guy like Andre tells Finnegan to "shut his ***** ass up", which is what I saw after Finnegan jumped on his back, you know it has become personal. I've never seen the team take things personal and turn it into a positive.

Even though we didn't play all that great, we found a way to pull the win out against a tough team in a highly intense environment/game. That's why I think this is the biggest win in team history. We actually looked like we left all our sweat and frustration on the field, whether we played our best game or not.

That's what you have to do to be a good team in the NFL, regardless if you played well overall or not. You have to win against tough teams in intense games.

Double Barrel
09-21-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't know about 'biggest win in team history', but I'd put in in the top 5. :texflag:

Double Barrel
09-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Here's what the owner would say in this thread:

Considering the circumstances — the terrible opener against the Jets, a road game against the Titans and trying to avoid an 0-2 start — owner Bob McNair thought Sunday's 34-31 victory over the Tennessee Titans was the best he had seen.

“This was a great win,” McNair said. “This was the biggest win we've ever had.

“I couldn't be more proud of our players. They fought hard for 60 minutes. They played with courage.

“What an unbelievable game.”

Texecutioner
09-21-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't know about 'biggest win in team history', but I'd put in in the top 5. :texflag:

Okay, this statement is a little more accurate or fair DB. Top 5 I can agree with as not being overly dramatic with it since it was a nice shoot out that we ended up winning.

HoustonFrog
09-21-2009, 03:28 PM
I still think that for a win to qualify as the biggest ever or near the top it has to lead to something. I get the 19-10 game. But at this stage if they stumble to .500 then this game is reduced to an entertaining game. I still find issues that after last week they still started flat and had to then jump start it. Not trying to be Debbie Downer but I try to stay level on the excited meter instead of bipolar.

Double Barrel
09-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Okay, this statement is a little more accurate or fair DB. Top 5 I can agree with as not being overly dramatic with it since it was a nice shoot out that we ended up winning.

And I'd add against a hated division rival in their crib that we've only won in one other time.

IF this game springboards the team to achieve great things, then we can reassess our take of the game in hindsight. But if they come out flat against the Jags next week, then the game is what we think it is (which is whatever you want it to be to you as an individual fan).

Texecutioner
09-21-2009, 04:21 PM
And I'd add against a hated division rival in their crib that we've only won in one other time.

IF this game springboards the team to achieve great things, then we can reassess our take of the game in hindsight. But if they come out flat against the Jags next week, then the game is what we think it is (which is whatever you want it to be to you as an individual fan).

Okay, I'll take that. If we end up going like 11-5 after this, then I'll roll with that.

I think it will carry on to next week though for sure. We're playing the Jags and one thing that I can count on with the Texans is that they will go out and bust some asses on the field against the Jags. We always play them well and play very hard against the Jags and the Jags will be playing tough as well so since we are a division rival to them and it should be another competitive game as far as the emotions between opposing players on the field. We will beat the Jags though. They simply aren't playing well right now, and this is a perfect game for the Texans to be playing next week to try and get some momentum going. Play a team that is going to want to win very badly since they need a win, and a team that is a division rival, but isn't playing good football right now. This is exactly what the Texans need right now to get a real mojo going. Beating them won't completely do it, but beating the Titans and then them back to back will be a very good start that should get them some nice confidence for the following week where we will really need it. Texans will beat the Jags next Sunday for sure though.

Texan_Bill
09-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Here's what the owner would say in this thread:

Considering the circumstances — the terrible opener against the Jets, a road game against the Titans and trying to avoid an 0-2 start — owner Bob McNair thought Sunday's 34-31 victory over the Tennessee Titans was the best he had seen.

“This was a great win,” McNair said. “This was the biggest win we've ever had.

“I couldn't be more proud of our players. They fought hard for 60 minutes. They played with courage.

“What an unbelievable game.”

If you would've asked me this yesterday afternoon, I would have said the samething. Of course, now that I'm not "in the moment", I would disagree.

GP
09-21-2009, 05:16 PM
But if they come out flat against the Jags next week, then the game is what we think it is.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/thelandosays/061017_dennis_green.jpg

beerlover
09-21-2009, 07:46 PM

Biggest because of pre-season expecations.

Then getting run by the Jets w/rookie QB.

Losing Home Opener.

Going to Tennessee & beating the possums.

Team that loses starts 0-2 not good odds for the playoffs.

The way in which the Texans won the game, never before have they shown that much, how should I say it.......fight.

Playoff hopes restored & confidence in themselves if they play together as a unit.

I can think of more suprising wins, like Dallas but never one more important for a season.

Chance this can be surpassed if the Texans can use this as a turning point in their brief, non descript history, into the playoffs?

:wesmantexanfan:

ubecool454
09-21-2009, 09:25 PM

Nope he first game in Reliant will always be the biggest win until the texans win the superbowl.

imatexan
09-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Nope he first game in Reliant will always be the biggest win until the texans win the superbowl.

Not true.

If we get into the playoffs/have a winning season/win a playoff game...these will all be bigger games than the Dallas game that got us nowhere.

Statis22
09-21-2009, 11:13 PM
I say the win at Green Bay is still tops. They had every reason to lay down that game and they came through with determination.

This win against the Titans is top 3 though.

YellerLotYeller
09-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Inaugural game will be the biggest win in team history until the Texans win the game that clinches a playoff birth. Then every playoff win after that will be the biggest and so on and so on.

Showtime100
09-22-2009, 12:24 AM
I think it's too early to tell. If the Texans make the playoffs and cite this game as a defining moment one would have to look at it as such. Big if. The Oiler-Dolphin MNF game comes to mind that one could say was as big as it gets in terms of Houston Oiler history though I would vote otherwise. Point being it was the regular season and a game we will never forget. I would agree with Yeller at this point though, as it is it has to the be the 1st game. As of now this was a great game none of us will forget, it's nice to have another one of those. :fans:

mancunian
09-22-2009, 01:14 PM
for me its the third after the Cowboys and the first win against the Colts.

HoustonFrog
09-27-2009, 03:18 PM
No its not. I'm not sure how you can call a game the biggest when the same problems reared their ugly head from the week before. It was big from an emotional standpoint...they faught back...but there is the issue of why they started flat after last week, where was the defense, no running game, etc. Just like last week wasn't the biggest loss. People around here(Houston) are so bipolar on this stuff. If they lose again next week are people going to dive off a cliff?The reality is this win looks massive in the rearview mirror if they build off of it and make the playoffs. Until then it was a rivalry win and a fun game to watch.

And No, it wasn't/

Hervoyel
09-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Games like this are why I cringe when people start threads like this and ask "Have we turned the corner?" or "Is this the biggest game in team history?" I just know deep down in my gut that the Texans will follow up a game like last weeks with a big stinking turd like today.

It's who they are. It's what they do.