PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby Jones

Texecutioner
09-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Needs to be released. GEt him out of here! What luck the Texans just got out of that. The guy is the most mistake prone KR I've ever seen.

Ckw
09-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Needs to be released. GEt him out of here! What luck the Texans just got out of that. The guy is the most mistake prone KR I've ever seen.

Right now, we need him at receiver. But this guy just does not seem to have it mentally...

Texans34Life
09-20-2009, 03:53 PM
I mean the moron has waived off so many PRs, he will never return another one in his career. Does Jacoby have some naked photos of Kubiak boning Bush? Why is this ***** still on this team?

SheTexan
09-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I hope to NEVER see that boy in a Texans uni again!!! He's to much of a liability!!

Ckw
09-20-2009, 04:01 PM
I choose not to forget about the TD catch. Right now, we need him. When Walter and Davis are back, I am with you guys that he is a liability. But right now, we need him.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Talking about cutting Jacoby Jones right now, is Asinine. and anyone thinking of it should STFU. Everybody makes mistakes. Jones muffing punts isn't anything new. The ***** that needs to be replaced is the guy who keeps putting him out there, when we've got Davis, Martinez, Anderson & Slaton. All who have returned punts.

Jacoby is earning his spot as a receiver, on the field. We don't need a situation, where guys fear losing their jobs for making mistakes. Especially, when they show they can make up for it.

IF they can play this game. & they can show they can play this game, it would be stupid to get rid of them for making mistakes. We're not that good yet. I don't think many teams are.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Okay, Jacoby should've picked up Chris Hope(#24) on that last play...... still, I think that's a coaching problem, and not a JJ problem.

Specnatz
09-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Okay, Jacoby should've picked up Chris Hope(#24) on that last play...... still, I think that's a coaching problem, and not a JJ problem.

He was shying away from contact, that is on him.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 04:33 PM
He was shying away from contact, that is on him.

Bull$hit, watch it again. He was blocking the wrong man, a man that doesn't need to be blocked.

He made several blocks on running plays this game, even attacking Kearse's knees...... not something I advocate. But he hasn't been shying away from contact, and to insinuate as much is something I take offense to.

JDizzle
09-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I think jacoby should be relieved of his returning duties, I've felt that way for a while however I think he's turned out to be a good #3 or #4 guy at WR.

The muff aside he did come up big for us today.

Jackie Chiles
09-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Gotta agree with TK, he looked way too good as a WR today to consider cutting him. I would definitely consider someone else doing returns but JJ should see more time at WR. Andre Davis is the guy that we don't need imo. Glenn Martinez is a beast on ST.

Texans34Life
09-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I would give Aldridge a chance at punt returns before I give JJ another chance.

DexmanC
09-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Bull$hit, watch it again. He was blocking the wrong man, a man that doesn't need to be blocked.

He made several blocks on running plays this game, even attacking Kearse's knees...... not something I advocate. But he hasn't been shying away from contact, and to insinuate as much is something I take offense to.

I gotta co-sign Thunderkyss on this one. All these "cut Jacoby" clowns
need to wake up. This is the SECOND CONSECUTIVE SEASON, in which
big plays by Jacoby Jones contributed to the Texans' first win of the season.
We don't win the Miami game without his HUGE punt return. It ignited the
Texans for the rest of that game.

He's only going to improve from here.

Jackie Chiles
09-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Just put Anderson back there. Heck, let James Casey, he did it at Rice. Until our guys give the punter some room we probably aren't going to see too many big returns from JJ anyway so just put someone back there that will ensure we retain possession.

76Texan
09-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Just relieve him of return duties.
Make him catch 500 a day without fumbling for a month then bring him back!

Do they have cosmetic surgery to enlarge his hands and his brain?
:user:

DexmanC
09-20-2009, 04:49 PM

His hands sure looked fine on that touchdown grab. That was your
prototypical all-hands catch. He definitely did NOT allow the ball
to hit his body for the grab.

I'm sure he'll learn from it and grow, to the benefit of the Texans. His
HUGE first down grab in the 4th was CLUTCH.

SheTexan
09-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, he does have a lot of heart! AND, I like the Texan logo in his hair! We'll see how he does against the Jags. Maybe put some super glue on his hands!:smiliedance:

76Texan
09-20-2009, 04:53 PM
His hands sure looked fine on that touchdown grab. That was your
prototypical all-hands catch. He definitely did NOT allow the ball
to hit his body for the grab.

I'm sure he'll learn from it and grow, to the benefit of the Texans. His
HUGE first down grab in the 4th was CLUTCH.

Jacoby does have small hands!
He gave a glove to Gary (our fan on the MB) last TC as a souvenir.
I was there!

MEGA SWATT
09-20-2009, 04:54 PM
He made plays when we needed him to. If he could just hold on to the ball......he would be great. Slaton is also losing the ball via getting it punched out a lot!!!!!!! too.

powerfuldragon
09-20-2009, 04:54 PM
he got a can't miss play at nfl.com/video

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d812c0867/WK-2-Can-t-Miss-Play-Jacoby-makes-the-catch

Buffi2
09-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I think the problem is less is hand size and more his concentration. He doesn't focus on the ball, he is thinking about what comes next.

Texans34Life
09-20-2009, 04:57 PM

He'll just wave everyone of them off...

:BananaWav

dickieb
09-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Trade him for some secondary help.

Texecutioner
09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Jacoby Jones is never going to be a consistent player for the Texans. I find it hilarious how fickle so many fans are on this site who are so quick to think a guy is a star because of two pass plays that he made. They were nice plays, but on one he wasn't even covered and was allowed to run free. And the other was a great play. Then he also had a huge drop and a KR play that was one of the worst I have ever seen.

As soon as Walter and Davis both get back, I don't want to see this guy on the field. He doesn't have it mentally to be an every week WR. I'll stand by what I said a long time ago that he's Jerome Mathis 2.0 and nothing more.

People are still stuck on that ridiculous pre season he had two years ago and think he's some sort of guy who will break out eventually. That isn't going to happen with him.

Jacoby Jones < Davis, Walter, Anderson

4Texans
09-20-2009, 06:26 PM
JJ gives me a heart attack everytime he touches the ball.

Marcus
09-20-2009, 06:31 PM
JJ gives me a heart attack everytime he touches the ball.

But, OTOH, he's fast enough to stretch the field and give the defense something to think about.

BTW, did the officials make the right call on his TD catch? Just wonderin.

bah007
09-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Jacoby Jones is never going to be a consistent player for the Texans. I find it hilarious how fickle so many fans are on this site who are so quick to think a guy is a star because of two pass plays that he made. They were nice plays, but on one he wasn't even covered and was allowed to run free. And the other was a great play. Then he also had a huge drop and a KR play that was one of the worst I have ever seen.

As soon as Walter and Davis both get back, I don't want to see this guy on the field. He doesn't have it mentally to be an every week WR. I'll stand by what I said a long time ago that he's Jerome Mathis 2.0 and nothing more.

People are still stuck on that ridiculous pre season he had two years ago and think he's some sort of guy who will break out eventually. That isn't going to happen with him.

This post on fickle fans is hilarious when I re-read your first post in this thread.

I will be the first to admit that I think Jacoby is a ***** (cat). Honestly, I do. I think he is scared. I do not think he should be returning punts. I don't think he has the focus to be consistent at it.

But the kid is earning his spot at WR right now.

Texecutioner
09-20-2009, 06:36 PM
This post on fickle fans is hilarious when I re-read your first post in this thread.

I will be the first to admit that I think Jacoby is a ***** (cat). Honestly, I do. I think he is scared. I do not think he should be returning punts. I don't think he has the focus to be consistent at it.

But the kid is earning his spot at WR right now.

Jacoby is always good for a big play here and there, because he is athletic, but he doesn't have the consistency to impress me. He's okay as a 5th WR. I'll gladly take Davis and Anderson over him.

ObsiWan
09-20-2009, 06:40 PM
While we're on the subject of fumblers, where's the "Cut Steve Slaton" thread. This is two weeks in a row he's upchucked the ball. TWICE today! Last week it sucked the wind out of our only productive drive on offense. This week they didn't hurt but they could have.
If Jacoby goes for fumbling then Slaton should follow - no LEAD him out the door.
Jacoby - 1 fumble / 1 TD
Steve -- 3 fumbles / Zero TDs

Wolf
09-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Well, he does have a lot of heart! AND, I like the Texan logo in his hair! We'll see how he does against the Jags. Maybe put some super glue on his hands!:smiliedance:

I'll let you finish, but Ron Artest has the best logo hair cut of all time

:smiliedance:

Texecutioner
09-20-2009, 06:49 PM
While we're on the subject of fumblers, where's the "Cut Steve Slaton" thread. This is two weeks in a row he's upchucked the ball. TWICE today! Last week it sucked the wind out of our only productive drive on offense. This week they didn't hurt but they could have.
If Jacoby goes for fumbling then Slaton should follow - no LEAD him out the door.
Jacoby - 1 fumble / 1 TD

YOu've got to be smoking crack. Jacoby Jones has proven nothing in this league, while Steve Slaton was border line ROTY. Slaton is a guy that has gone way beyond proving his worth with a fantastic season in his only season whil Jacoby the only thing Jacoby has proven is that he is still capable of huge mental mistakes and occasionally catching a pass.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 06:49 PM

I think you're stuck on the coach speak. Gary says he isn't this, or he needs to do that... and whatever. If you watch him play, I can't see how you don't see the positive affect it all had on him.

He's running good routes, and he appears to be working hard on every play.

Andre Johnson drops balls for crying out loud. But you don't focus on that. We should focus on his big play ability, and the kid's got it.

He doesn't need to be returning punts...... I'll agree with that. But I'd sooooo much rather see JJ on the field than Andre Davis as our 3rd Wide-out.

Andre Davis is Jerome Mathis 2.0 if you ask me. If all you've got is speed, you won't go far in this league.

Thorn
09-20-2009, 06:53 PM
JJ is still a tad inconsistent, but he is getting better. Let's give him a few more games, maybe he is improved this year. Yeah, I was one of those down on him earlier this year, but if he can continue to make big plays, you just can't knock that.

DocBar
09-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I guess I need to STFU, but I'm not gonna, cuz you aren't the boss of me. JJ dropped one easy catch, had a TD catch that very easily could've been overturned and another muffed punt. I'll take boring old fair catches anyday over muffed fair catches. IMHO, the negs outway the pos's in this case and he needs to go down the road. We have playmakers on this team that can take his roster spot.

ATXtexanfan
09-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Slaton put the ball on the ground twice today, oh wait
we're talking about jacoby. Schaub still sucks. Right guys. Some people want a perfect team. Get over it guys.

ATXtexanfan
09-20-2009, 07:14 PM
YOu've got to be smoking crack. Jacoby Jones has proven nothing in this league, while Steve Slaton was border line ROTY. Slaton is a guy that has gone way beyond proving his worth with a fantastic season in his only season whil Jacoby the only thing Jacoby has proven is that he is still capable of huge mental mistakes and occasionally catching a pass.
Only because you set yourself up, "see VY and his ROTY"

Marcus
09-20-2009, 07:19 PM
I think someone needs to get their head out of what Slaton did last season, and start looking at what he's doing for us lately.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 07:19 PM
I guess I need to STFU, but I'm not gonna, cuz you aren't the boss of me. JJ dropped one easy catch, had a TD catch that very easily could've been overturned and another muffed punt. I'll take boring old fair catches anyday over muffed fair catches. IMHO, the negs outway the pos's in this case and he needs to go down the road. We have playmakers on this team that can take his roster spot.

There's no reason for him to be out there on punt returns. Other than leading the league (or something like that) last year. I say he's good enough, and has gotten to the point that special teams play does not need to justify his place on this team.

Forget Special teams, and let him work on being a receiver.

He made some mistakes...... I'm not downplaying, or ignoring that at all. He needs to work on those.

All I'm saying is lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Andre Johnson...... play maker
KDub..... play maker

Andre Davis..... potential play maker
David Anderson.... potential play maker
Jacoby Jones.... potential bigger play play maker.

That's all I'm saying.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Jacoby is always good for a big play here and there, because he is athletic, but he doesn't have the consistency to impress me. He's okay as a 5th WR. I'll gladly take Davis and Anderson over him.

I like David Anderson too. As a matter of fact, I was upset to see Andre Davis starting in place of KDub. Didn't make sense to me.

I was actually thinking that Anderson should have had that spot.

But after the game Jacoby had today, along with that great game against Tampa Bay, I'm willing to see Jacoby start or at least take a lot of snaps as the #2 WR.

Anderson is great, and still has potential left. But I don't think he'll ever give you what Jacoby could.

DocBar
09-20-2009, 07:25 PM
JJ is a potential big playmaker every single time he steps on the field. The problem is knowing which team will benefit from it. It seems like a 50-50 shot.

chicagotexan2
09-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Keep Jacoby as a 3rd WR, fire him from special teams. He's going to cost us a win.

DexmanC
09-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Jacoby just took a step up above Andre Davis with his play today.
The kid can make catches, ALL HANDS, in traffic. He runs better
routes than Davis. Davis is good on fly routes, but he doesn't have
the leaping ability, nor the hardheadedness to make the TOUGH catch.
I have yet to see Jacoby alligator-arm a pass on a big down. This
is the season I'm judging his play on, and he has improved leaps and
bounds as a RECEIVER.

Jerome Mathis 2.0?? Give me a break. With a game like he's had today,
he's gonna get on the field a LOT more than he used to. In fact,
he'll be even MORE dangerous when K-Dub gets back. When they go
4 Wide, you'll see: AJ, K-Dub, David Anderson, Jacoby, with OD going
over the middle.

Mathis was NEVER the weapon Jacoby is now turning into. Homeskillet
is a die-hard Jacoby hater, and refuses to acknowledge that the
improvement of this kid HELPS the Texans.

...and that's what I care about most.

GP
09-20-2009, 07:41 PM
All we have to do is put Jacoby in as a returner when we field a punt around mid-field or our own 40. Mayyyybe our own 35.

Never have him on the field as the returner when we're taking that punt near our own end zone, such as at the 20 or less.

You put someone like David Anderson, a "hands" guy, in there for those punts.

Which also begs the question: Why even try and catch it when it sails over your head at the 20? How many times is a fair catch at your own 10 or 15 going to be better than taking the gamble that it bounces into the end zone for a touchback?

Bounces are bounces. And I bet the majority of the time, that ball is going to bounce hard and rocket into the end zone.

No matter who you have fielding that punt return, if it's near your own end zone you're running the risk of botching it and losing the game on it.

The safest way to ensure you don't botch it near your own end zone is to have Jacoby on the bench when the punt's going to go that deep.

Whether we like or not, Jacoby flashed some nice skills on two occasions that helped us win the game. Without those two catches he had, we don't win the game.

He's got speed.

ObsiWan
09-20-2009, 07:47 PM

My point is simple.
Produce or sit.
No exceptions.

Jacoby put points on the board today and made two big catches.
What did we see from Slaton today??
Two yds/carry and two fumbles. That's two weeks in a row he's fumbled.

You want us to be a winning team, then everyone brings their A game every Sunday.
No exceptions.

Lucky
09-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Is this where I point out that David Anderson muffed the only punt he has attempted to field in the NFL?

ObsiWan
09-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Keep Jacoby as a 3rd WR, fire him from special teams. He's going to cost us a win.

That's a much better strategy than throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Let Martinez or Anderson field punts.
...although Anderson kinda sucked at it during the training camp sessions I went to last month.

ObsiWan
09-20-2009, 07:52 PM
All we have to do is put Jacoby in as a returner when we field a punt around mid-field or our own 40. Mayyyybe our own 35.

Never have him on the field as the returner when we're taking that punt near our own end zone, such as at the 20 or less.

Which also begs the question: Why even try and catch it when it sails over your head at the 20? How many times is a fair catch at your own 10 or 15 going to be better than taking the gamble that it bounces into the end zone for a touchback?

Bounces are bounces. And I bet the majority of the time, that ball is going to bounce hard and rocket into the end zone.

No matter who you have fielding that punt return, if it's near your own end zone you're running the risk of botching it and losing the game on it.

The safest way to ensure you don't botch it near your own end zone is to have Jacoby on the bench when the punt's going to go that deep.

Whether we like or not, Jacoby flashed some nice skills on two occasions that helped us win the game. Without those two catches he had, we don't win the game.

He's got speed.

I can see fair catching at the 20 or maaaaybe even the 15 because the ball could take a funny bounce and end up being downed inside the five. But from the 15 on in, let it go.

GP
09-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Is this where I point out that David Anderson muffed the only punt he has attempted to field in the NFL?

Which is why I said someone. You're right about that. Even when I posted that, I flash-backed to when he did that. Poor choice on my behalf.

I was just saying 1.) let's have someone back there who isn't Jacoby when it's near our own EZ.

And then 2.) Jacoby at mid-field, where a botch doesn't necessarily mean end of game. But yet he can turn it up field and score from midfield pretty easily.

GP
09-20-2009, 07:56 PM
I can see fair catching at the 20 or maaaaybe even the 15 because the ball could take a funny bounce and end up being downed inside the five. But from the 15 on in, let it go.

I'd rather us start at our 5 than my opponent starting at our 5.

I'd like to see the percentages and the breakdown on how many punts that land near the 10 are actually getting downed within the 10. And how many are rolling into the end zone.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 08:01 PM

agreed

rollinstone18
09-20-2009, 08:01 PM
jacoby is a mixed bag. one play he's a hero, the next he's the bane of my sunday afternoon.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 08:23 PM
jacoby is a mixed bag. one play he's a hero, the next he's the bane of my sunday afternoon.

That's because of Houston fans. We make mountains out of mole hills, and can't see the forest for the trees.

:cow:

There are only a few guys here, that have noticed/mentioned our defense didn't play any better this week than we did last week. They're just happy we got a win.

Carr Bombed
09-20-2009, 08:32 PM
I like David Anderson too. As a matter of fact, I was upset to see Andre Davis starting in place of KDub. Didn't make sense to me.

I was actually thinking that Anderson should have had that spot.

But after the game Jacoby had today, along with that great game against Tampa Bay, I'm willing to see Jacoby start or at least take a lot of snaps as the #2 WR.

Anderson is great, and still has potential left. But I don't think he'll ever give you what Jacoby could.

Anderson is the classic slot receiver, I think we should keep him in that role......that catch he made today was a outstanding catch.

I'm also willing to give Jacoby a shot at "RECEIVING" (a play here and there when Walter gets back) as long as he doesn't start coughing the ball up there too (which he hasn't yet).........but if I'm Kubiak, his special teams days are over. You simply can't take the chance of having him muff the catch....that kind of turnover will lose you ball games more often than not.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 08:37 PM
.........but if I'm Kubiak, his special teams days are over. You simply can't take the chance of having him muff the catch....that kind of turnover will lose you ball games more often than not.

If that's the case, I absolutely agree. In fact, He would've returned only one punt last year. After that first muff..... he's off special teams, and has to make his living as a WR.

Texanmike02
09-20-2009, 08:40 PM
That's because of Houston fans. We make mountains out of mole hills, and can't see the forest for the trees.

:cow:

There are only a few guys here, that have noticed/mentioned our defense didn't play any better this week than we did last week. They're just happy we got a win.

I beg to differ. This week we had 3 opportunities to end their possession with a T/O. We took advantage of two of them. Last week we had 5 opportunities and we took zero of them. This was an effort against a veteran QB as well. The bottom line is this defense will give up some big plays, which is a welcome change for me because what they are going to do a lot less often is give up 12 minute agonizing drives.

Gamble and you pay the man sometimes. I'm ok with that as long as the man isn't consistently taking the long slow approach to forcing himself in the backside.

Mike

HTown2ATX
09-20-2009, 08:43 PM
OK. I JUST started drinking, so, reflecting on the game, I say we need to take JJ OFF of punts and KR's but calling for him to be cut is ridiculous IMO. I'll take that TD and the emotion he brings at WR every game!!!

:wild:

gafftop
09-20-2009, 08:44 PM

He's got speed.

I agree with this post. Do we have a hands guy?? Maybe if it late in the game and we need a big play to catch up you use him for a punt return. I really like him to stretch field as a receiver. He has hands but doesn't have the confidence to use them all the time. If the ball comes to his body he tries to cradle instead of trusting hands.

GP
09-20-2009, 08:48 PM
He has shown some smarts in the area of getting open at WR.

He has the speed to get distance between him and his defender, and he has the range in his hops to go up and grab a ball.

He seems to do best when he's already moving, not standing still.

Think about it: Most of his punt returns for TDs (IIRC) were line drive punts that he took, on the run, at midfield. He does better at WR than at KR, because he's moving and not standing still.

I think it's possible that the guy's legs have got to be moving for everything else to work properly. He can't stand there and wait for a punt to fall. He wants to get going and can't wait. And it makes him brainfart on punts that hang.

If a team would just hang a punt wayyyy up in the air, I bet he'd botch it even if he received it at midfield.

Hervoyel
09-20-2009, 08:51 PM
If I were the Texans I believe that I would give the PR duties to somebody else. I would prefer that person be reliable and predictable. I don't mind not breaking any for big yardage if I can just be assured that we retain possession.

Then I'd move Jacoby up the WR depth chart and get him on the field more often in that capacity. I personally do not believe that he's got the brains necessary to handle more than one job at a time and I very much doubt he's going to make it through the rest of this season without costing us a game with one of his "JJ Specials" where he takes his eye off the ball or flinches because he's expecting to get hit. The man is a lousy punt returned who sometimes breaks one for a TD. It seems a contradiction but that's what he is.

Make him a full time WR and see if he can handle that. If he can consider trade offers for him in the off-season. Stop using him as a punt returner because all you're doing is hurting yourself and damaging his trade value down the road.

Jackie Chiles
09-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Somebody seriously needs to call into Kubiak's show tomorrow and ask if Casey is even on the radar for returns. I guarantee he won't muff a punt all season, guys can be draped on him he will catch it and pick up two yards. If there is a play to be made he will make it but he certainly won't take it to the house like Jacoby.

GP
09-20-2009, 09:08 PM
If I were the Texans I believe that I would give the PR duties to somebody else. I would prefer that person be reliable and predictable. I don't mind not breaking any for big yardage if I can just be assured that we retain possession.

Then I'd move Jacoby up the WR depth chart and get him on the field more often in that capacity. I personally do not believe that he's got the brains necessary to handle more than one job at a time and I very much doubt he's going to make it through the rest of this season without costing us a game with one of his "JJ Specials" where he takes his eye off the ball or flinches because he's expecting to get hit. The man is a lousy punt returned who sometimes breaks one for a TD. It seems a contradiction but that's what he is.

Make him a full time WR and see if he can handle that. If he can consider trade offers for him in the off-season. Stop using him as a punt returner because all you're doing is hurting yourself and damaging his trade value down the road.

I think he's on most teams' radar if we try to trade him.

He's got that "almost there" feel to his style of play thus far.

I think we'd actually pull off at least a 2nd rounder for him, which would be awesome if we did that. Because 1 or 2 years from now, he'll transition from being an "almost there" guy to a "he's not going to progress" guy.

This season is put up or shut up for the guy. He will never be cut. There'll be a trade if he's not on our roster, so the question is "What round do we get for him if he does well? If he does average? If he does poorly?"

He's one of those guys that ever NFL team thinks they can just coach him up and help him get better at the basic idea of fielding a punt. LOL.

dalemurphy
09-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Jacoby - 1 fumble / 1 TD

Well, Martinez is our 6th WR... And Moats is our 3rd RB. That's why you can cut JJ but you can't cut Slaton. Plus, as a rookie, Slaton showed a ton of football intelligence!

Buffi2
09-20-2009, 09:50 PM
One thing I find interesting is that the team seems to be rooting for JJ to succeed - more than other "almost really good" players we have had. I know that AJ has taken JJ under his wing both last year and this year and has worked with him. WR seems to be a better place for him than PR - more action and less time to lose his focus while waiting for the kick-off. It is the waiting part that gets to him. Can a football player take Ritalin and still pass the drug test?

TheRealJoker
09-20-2009, 09:53 PM
We should have Davis take over JJ's PR duties and give JJ more of AD's reps at WR. Also let AD be a gunner on special teams, he excelled at that in 07 when we let him.

AD: KR/PR/gunner

JJ: 4th WR (Anderson is slot guy)

He's a good deep threat and we need to let him work exclusively as a WR to let him develop more. AD can cover the special teams duties.

DocBar
10-06-2009, 11:06 AM
This guy is driving me absolutely nuts. I was just about to get on here and eat all the bad things I had said about him after his TD return in the Oak. game, then he goes and muffs another punt DEEP in our territory. He's made some nice catches and seems to put it all together....for a few plays at a time. I goota admit I'm getting off of the "cut him now" bandwagon, but I just don't know if the positives outweigh the negatives with him. I would rather see KW field punts and fair catch every one of them than see another muff.

DexmanC
10-06-2009, 11:26 AM
The kid has put 3 touchdowns on the board in 4 games. He caught a
huge first down that iced the game at Tennessee. He drove the stake
into the heart of Oakland immediately after the defense forced a safety.
Last season, he ignited the entire team vs Miami with his punt return
touchdown. If you remember, before that TD, the team was on the verge
of being blown out at home.

I'd say he's more than earned his position on the field, and you'll NEVER see
Kubiak bench him for entire quarter or game, because he's such a huge
play waiting to happen opposite Andre.

I noticed Sunday when they went to 3-wides, the first receiver off the bench
wasn't David Anderson. It was Jacoby Jones.

As for muffing punts...
Devin Hester and Josh Cribbs have been known to muff occasional punts. The problem Kubes
has is that Jacoby is ALWAYS looking to make a play, and it gets us burned. He told him, after
the muff against Oakland, to start jumping on the ball. That's good, coach. Let the kid
make plays. Just help him get better.

Buffi2
10-06-2009, 11:48 AM
JJ just lets his mind get ahead of his body which makes for some seriously heart stopping moments every time it looks as if he just might get the ball. But, you can't deny that when he does, in fact, hold on to said ball he makes some huge plays.

While I hold my breath when JJ steps on the field, and I'm sure the rest of the team does the same, he is getting better. I even put him on my fantasy team 2 weeks ago and he is putting up stellar numbers.

TimeKiller
10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
JJ just lets his mind get ahead of his body which makes for some seriously heart stopping moments every time it looks as if he just might get the ball. .

haha yes yes yes...

Step 1: Catch the ball.
Step 2: Jacoby Jones.

/simplified coaching

badboy
10-06-2009, 05:00 PM
I think JJs mind races ahead of his concentration. He sees ball and starts his mental run then tries to catch the ball and then puts his feet into action. If he could see ball, catch ball and eliminate mental run by skipping to actually running he would be ok. Like many recievers he runs before he catches. He has been coached that a safe catch with no yars is better than a fumble. He just begins his move before he has the ball. Reminds me of a super fast DE who tries to time the snap. Sometimes he gets the QB & sometimes he gets the flag.

Carr Bombed
10-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I even put him on my fantasy team 2 weeks ago and he is putting up stellar numbers.

LOL, same here :). I picked him up about 2 weeks ago and he's given me about 17-18 points a game.

imatexan
10-06-2009, 05:30 PM
JJ has been great this year!

He still makes me nervous though.

jppaul
10-06-2009, 05:45 PM
There is always the two man punt return, wherein KW or DA catch the ball and then lateral it back to Jones....

:pirate:

Double Barrel
10-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Exciting player, but I still hate the way he carries the ball. It's a fumble waiting to happen when a defensive player pokes it out from behind. It makes me nervous watching him!

Goldensilence
10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Guy drives me nuts, big play and then a mental miscue. However, I think he's been one of the more explosive players on offense so far this year.

Like many other thing with this team if they can get him playing consistently and intelligently the team has potential.

Norg
10-06-2009, 08:35 PM
True but who can take his place

Who was it back up davis something i forgot anywayz intill someone else steps up hes the only thing we got might has well work with what we got