PDA

View Full Version : Texans take exception to "soft" talk

Wolf
09-18-2009, 04:30 PM
In a bully division like the AFC South, the last thing you need to be called is soft.

The Texans are still feeling the sting of their shocking season-opening loss to the New York Jets and some of the talk isn't very nice.

The Jets' 24-7 victory on Sunday was so convincing, the Texans are hearing comments questioning their toughness. The Texans face Tennessee on Sunday, hoping to get some of the fire back that helped them win a rugged 13-12 victory over the Titans last December.

"You can't control what other people say," wide receiver Andre Johnson said. "If that's how they feel, it's how they feel. That's something that you definitely look at and take to heart. You have to control that between the lines on Sunday."

The Texans dropped their season opener and so did Tennessee. Questions of toughness will be answered against the Titans.

"We're going to have another tough game this Sunday," Johnson said. "We'll go out and see if we're physical or finesse. We'll find out on Sunday."

No one questioned the Texans' toughness following last year's fierce divisional battle at Reliant Stadium. Coach Gary Kubiak expects another hard game and improved play from the Texans.

"It's been extremely physical from Tennessee's standpoint since I've been here," Kubiak said. "Just a few years ago, Jacksonville was leading this division. So, Indianapolis, if you play coverage all day, they can line up and run the ball at you, too. It's a good division, it's a physical division and winning in the division counts so much."

The Texans' offense was shut out by the Jets. New York shut down last year's rookie running back sensation Steve Slaton with 17 rushing yards. The Texans' offense totaled less than 200 offensive yards. Jets rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez played like a veteran in his first pro game.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5577

well hopefully this fires them up.

"speak softly and carry a big stick" comes to mind

Silver Oak
09-18-2009, 04:37 PM
I want to believe they're not soft, but I still can't shake this out of my mind...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii219/losloseeboy/jetex.gif

Ckw
09-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Even their answers sound "soft". Come on guys. Get pissed off! Show some freakin emotion! I understand its Andre so my beef isn't with him. My beef is with the rest of the team that didn't say anything. Hopefully, this means they will simply let their play on the field do the talking. I can't say I'm hopeful.

DexmanC
09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5577

well hopefully this fires them up.

"speak softly and carry a big stick" comes to mind

Seems to me, the Texans have been
playing softly and getting STUCK!

False Start
09-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Even their answers sound "soft". Come on guys. Get pissed off! Show some freakin emotion! I understand its Andre so my beef isn't with him. My beef is with the rest of the team that didn't say anything. Hopefully, this means they will simply let their play on the field do the talking. I can't say I'm hopeful.

My thoughts exactly! I'm surprised Kubiak didn't drop a "it's on me" comment in there.

JDizzle
09-18-2009, 04:48 PM
I want to believe they're not soft, but I still can't shake this out of my mind...

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when this play came up during the film session.

ArlingtonTexan
09-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Part of being soft is allowing someone to manipulate your emotions. If your personally is not outwardly emotional and someone can take you out of that they have won.

Wolf
09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when this play came up during the film session.

I haven't seen anyone "posterized" that bad in a long time

and maybe I just haven't looked or noticed.

wow

False Start
09-18-2009, 04:57 PM

wow

Yeah, that was T-Mac on Shawn Bradley posterized. :headhurts:

PapaL
09-18-2009, 04:58 PM
You left off the rest of the headline:

Texans take exception to "soft" talk; hug and sing Kumbaya.

Malloy
09-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Whats so scary about that play is the Jenkins loses NO balance from throwing Myers around... He just keeps his heading and speed.

JDizzle
09-18-2009, 05:02 PM

wow

I saw Jake Long get pancaked by John Abraham on Sunday, looked pretty awful but he was at least using both arms.

That's just ... well I don't know how to express what that is. But if you had to characterize our game with one play, it would be that one.

Wolf
09-18-2009, 05:05 PM
well Texan fans made him hot under the collar also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsSq1WITuN4

Wolf6151
09-18-2009, 05:06 PM
The Texans will always be considered a soft team until they get mad enough to step up and prove otherwise. Come on Texans step up and prove us all wrong.

As for Chris Myers, you now see why we only spent a 6th round pick on him.

Thorn
09-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Just win, Baby.

....statement issued by the resident Head Case in the NFL.

As to the Texans winning games, I want it so, but I'll believe it when I see it.

CloakNNNdagger
09-18-2009, 05:08 PM
IT'S JUST ONE LOSS. WHO SAYS WE'RE SOFT??!!

http://www.sexybloomers.com/football/airblownPlayers/houstonTexan.jpg

Hervoyel
09-18-2009, 05:14 PM
There's no comparison to the way the Texans and Titans lost their respective season openers. Tennessee played balls-out against a tough opponent and took them to overtime. Houston played the Jets who were also quite tough and the Texans played soft because they are soft.

They'll be soft until they prove otherwise.

Wolf
09-18-2009, 05:23 PM
There's no comparison to the way the Texans and Titans lost their respective season openers. Tennessee played balls-out against a tough opponent and took them to overtime. Houston played the Jets who were also quite tough and the Texans played soft because they are soft.

yep.. reminds me of the movie "Mr Baseball" and they keep telling Jack he has a hole in his swing ... and dennis haysbert character tells him "all over Japan ,pitchers are practicing " shitoh " oh the dreaded "shitoh"

Texans need to come out Sunday and play whatever smash mouth they can (within their limits) and knock this label off of them .. then do it again the next week.. because teams are looking at this and licking their chops because once the Texans get knocked in the mouth , they seem to go into a shell .

GuerillaBlack
09-18-2009, 05:28 PM

but we're classy!

Goldensilence
09-18-2009, 05:31 PM
yep.. reminds me of the movie "Mr Baseball" and they keep telling Jack he has a hole in his swing ... and dennis haysbert character tells him "all over Japan ,pitchers are practicing " shitoh " oh the dreaded "shitoh"

Texans need to come out Sunday and play whatever smash mouth they can (within their limits) and knock this label off of them .. then do it again the next week.. because teams are looking at this and licking their chops because once the Texans get knocked in the mouth , they seem to go into a shell .

Last part I totally agree with. Overall the team plays soft, and it's a label they've earned. I wish I could see someone on the team upset about being called soft that other then these equally soft responses.

I haven't heard anything from practices this week, but it wouldn't surprise me after that ass kicking to have closed practices for a while.

If they want to knock the label, go out and bust the Titans in the mouth right from the kick off and don't stop until the clock hits zero in the 4th. If the Texans don't come out swinging these the rest of the season is going to be unbearably long for the team and fans.

spurstexanstros
09-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Who cares about the soft label...all I care about is the effort level.

I saw no effort on Sunday on offense or Defense. At least put forth some effort. Leave it all on the field. STOP TRYING TO GET PAID BEFORE YOU HAVE PROVEN YOUR VALUE...that means you Dunta.

Porky
09-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Texans spokesman Pillsbury Dough Boy came out and said Soft? Who the hell you calling soft?

http://www.baconbabble.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/2513532481_33fb8e7aff_o.jpg

b0ng
09-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Who cares about the soft label...all I care about is the effort level.

I saw no effort on Sunday on offense or Defense. At least put forth some effort. Leave it all on the field. STOP TRYING TO GET PAID BEFORE YOU HAVE PROVEN YOUR VALUE...that means you Dunta.

They are soft because they don't give max effort on every play (As evidenced by the horrendous 4th qtr breakdown of the run defense)

Goldensilence
09-18-2009, 06:11 PM
They are soft because they don't give max effort on every play (As evidenced by the horrendous 4th qtr breakdown of the run defense)

To be fair, The offense was horribly ineffective all day and couldn't get anything going to help give the defense a rest.

I think they're soft because they don't go after people on both sides of the ball. They let the other team dictate the how the game is going to be played.

gafftop
09-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Holy c*** Batman , 1st time to see that. I think Kubiak's philosophy of small quick O lineman has just been proven to be OUTDATED. If he refuses to understand this then he is not in the REAL world. I for the first time ever question the desire and heart of this team under the leadership of Kubiak/Smith.

False Start
09-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Texans spokesman Pillsbury Dough Boy came out and said Soft? Who the hell you calling soft?

http://www.baconbabble.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/2513532481_33fb8e7aff_o.jpg

Yep.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/DB.jpg

Silver Oak
09-18-2009, 06:51 PM
I gotta ask WTH Slaton was looking at to have not seen 350 lbs of po'd NT coming through the line?

near as bad as Myer's effort was IMO.

False Start
09-18-2009, 06:54 PM
I gotta ask WTH Slaton was looking at to have not seen 350 lbs of po'd NT coming through the line?

Hey now, he shoved him (kind of), that's more than Chris Myers can say........ :heh:

NitroGSXR
09-18-2009, 07:00 PM
"We don't have 350-pound linemen who can power you off the line," right tackle Eric Winston said. "We play within our system. If you want to call that finesse, so be it. We don't play soft."

What the hell kind of smack talk is that from Winston there? Jesus. If I've ever seen a softer answer... wow.

The season is over.

ObsiWan
09-18-2009, 07:28 PM

Wow. Jenkins threw Myers across his body from his left side all the way to his right side. And he threw Myers far enough so that he didn't have to step over him as he headed toward Matt.

When we grow up, will we play like that?

barrett
09-18-2009, 07:32 PM
For what it's worth, and this couldn't be any more second hand, but if I'm understanding her correctly, (TC you'll have to clarify), in her interview with Winston she asked him about that play specifically and Winston said that Meyers was not supposed to be 1 on 1 with Jenkins and that it was a break down in communication.

One of many I might add.

Marcus
09-18-2009, 07:38 PM
What the hell kind of smack talk is that from Winston there? Jesus. If I've ever seen a softer answer... wow.

The season is over.

Well. Winston kinda has a point, doesn't he?

If you get in a fight with someone who is bigger and stronger than you, and you get your ass kicked because he was bigger and stronger than you, then that means you're soft, right? Oh, OK! :rolleyes: Chris Myers could have drunken a gallon of crystal meth on Sunday and Jenkins would have still made him his little *****.

I guess nowadays when you get dominated in the trenches, that's called being 'soft'. But I'm old school, I still call it 'just get beaten up front'. It wasn't from a 'lack of effort', or 'lack of heart'. They weren't mentally beaten, they were physically beaten.

ObsiWan
09-18-2009, 07:56 PM

Well... I understand your question. But if you saw this coming at you

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/m1-tank-9.jpg

Would YOU step in front of it to save Matt Schaub?
(and you happen to notice that white car (Chris Myers) just got smashed..?)

Wolf
09-18-2009, 08:10 PM
well if you notice Slaton's head.. he didn't see it in time until it was too late..I don't think ANYONE expected myers to get rolled like that so quickly, esp within about 2 seconds .. what was schaub on ? 4 step drop and right as he got to get set up, he had to release

mussop
09-18-2009, 08:24 PM

All I have to say is were extreamly lucky that Jenkins didnt pull a Haynesworth and land on Schaub. That could of been the end of our season right there. Also WTF was Shanahan thinking having Myers go one on one with one of the 2 best DT's in all of football. I know Myers is taking alot of heat here for that but Shanny JR should be taking just as much. There is no way Myers should of EVER had to take on Jenkins alone, EVER!

aj.
09-18-2009, 08:46 PM
I think Kubiak's philosophy of small quick O lineman has just been proven to be OUTDATED. If he refuses to understand this then he is not in the REAL world. I for the first time ever question the desire and heart of this team under the leadership of Kubiak/Smith.

Roos:.... 6-7, 315; Brown: 6-4, 315
Amano:. 6-3, 310; Pitts: 6-4, 308
Mawae:. 6-4, 289; Myers: 6-4, 295
Scott:... 6-5, 295; Brisiel: 6-5, 300
Stewart:. 6-7, 318; Winston: 6-5, 314

CloakNNNdagger
09-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Roos:.... 6-7, 315; Brown: 6-4, 315
Amano:. 6-3, 310; Pitts: 6-4, 308
Mawae:. 6-4, 289; Myers: 6-4, 295
Scott:... 6-5, 295; Brisiel: 6-5, 300
Stewart:. 6-7, 318; Winston: 6-5, 314

Proper coaching, proper personel, and proper execution are your GOAL for a BIG line to be considered GOOD............ALL THREE HITTIN ON ALL CYLINDERS are a MUST for a small line to avoid STINK STATUS.

ArlingtonTexan
09-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Proper coaching, proper personel, and proper execution are your GOAL for a BIG line to be considered GOOD............ALL THREE HITTIN ON ALL CYLINDERS are a MUST for a small line to avoid STINK STATUS.

His point was that the Texans OL is pretty close to NFL average. Size alone does take away from all three needing to be in place. There are sorry big OLs in the NFL (lines we had before the ZBS were not considered small and were worst than what we have now) and sorry small OLs in the NFL. The size issue matters because we are some version of mediocre at best. If the Texans line was good nobody would be worried about size.

Norg
09-18-2009, 10:54 PM
i dont think we are soft IMO we went throw trial by fire in the houston Training camp heat

i just think Rex ryan ownz us

we will be better this wk trust me

CloakNNNdagger
09-18-2009, 10:56 PM
His point was that the Texans OL is pretty close to NFL average. Size alone does take away from all three needing to be in place. There are sorry big OLs in the NFL (lines we had before the ZBS were not considered small and were worst than what we have now) and sorry small OLs in the NFL. The size issue matters because we are some version of mediocre at best. If the Texans line was good nobody would be worried about size.

That's the same point I was trying to make. Thanks.

ArlingtonTexan
09-18-2009, 11:25 PM
That's the same point I was trying to make. Thanks.

I am reading through jack and coke glasses, but as I comprehend what you were saying as those three things are MUST for a small line, but a big did not have to have same level of skill and technique...i.e that size alone could overcome some issues of skill, technique and coaching which i generally disagree with.

Anyway, I am not that invested in breaking down further the general suckitude of the Texans OL so if I am wrong here i am moving on and wishing you a good night and a go Texans.

euro-Texan
09-18-2009, 11:49 PM
So when will we see Caldwell?

CloakNNNdagger
09-19-2009, 07:43 AM
I am reading through jack and coke glasses, but as I comprehend what you were saying as those three things are MUST for a small line, but a big did not have to have same level of skill and technique...i.e that size alone could overcome some issues of skill, technique and coaching which i generally disagree with.

Anyway, I am not that invested in breaking down further the general suckitude of the Texans OL so if I am wrong here i am moving on and wishing you a good night and a go Texans.

I guess then we do have disagreement. With NFL DLs getting larger and larger, their mass if controlled with the least bit of athleticism can hold or bully themselves to the QB or RB. The smaller OL does not have mass to hold back the onslaught.........they MUST use almost perfect "choreographed" perfectly coached, very athletic players. The ZBS's success in its ultimate reliance of each player playing in perfect "choreography" to the player next to him cannot afford ANY breakdown in finesses performance on the part of ANY one player.

I can also wish you a good day............and all of us a Sunday that brings the Texans a surpising and unexpected fantastic turnaround........:texflag:

NitroGSXR
09-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Well. Winston kinda has a point, doesn't he?

If you get in a fight with someone who is bigger and stronger than you, and you get your ass kicked because he was bigger and stronger than you, then that means you're soft, right? Oh, OK! :rolleyes: Chris Myers could have drunken a gallon of crystal meth on Sunday and Jenkins would have still made him his little *****.

I guess nowadays when you get dominated in the trenches, that's called being 'soft'. But I'm old school, I still call it 'just get beaten up front'. It wasn't from a 'lack of effort', or 'lack of heart'. They weren't mentally beaten, they were physically beaten.

The point is that Eric Winston is saying that we're small. What this tells me more than anything else... is that Eric Winston isn't really too inline with Kubiak's philosophy thus far. If it were me... I don't know if I'd be admitting anything other than just getting royally ticked off just yet. We really don't want to tip our hand.

I think there's going to be a whole bunch of bickering on that offensive line this season.

HJam72
09-19-2009, 10:54 AM
I think the biggest problem is that Jenkins should have been doubled on just about every pass play AND we should've been max-protecting a lot more. In other words, our coach(es) got his brain kicked in.

I think there are some 3-4 NTs that are just going to dominate any center when 1 on 1. Granted, Myers gets dominated a little faster than most, but a sack is a sack.