PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a pep talk

Wolf
09-17-2009, 10:29 PM
I usually am not down when it comes to the Texans(yes I have my game day disappointments and get p***ed) but..

With the AFC playbook showing the horror movie of both the defense (on the reads with overloading the side) and the offense being confused with the 3-4 ... has me really concerned tonight.

I am not saying the Texans will lose every game or the season is remotely close to be over (I still have some kool-aid), but I am really concerned right now.Sunday can't come soon enough to see if our coaches can make the right adjustments.
:thud:

TEXANRED
09-17-2009, 10:33 PM
I usually am not down when it comes to the Texans(yes I have my game day disappointments and get p***ed) but..

With the AFC playbook showing the horror movie of both the defense (on the reads with overloading the side) and the offense being confused with the 3-4 ... has me really concerned tonight.

I am not saying the Texans will lose every game or the season is remotely close to be over (I still have some kool-aid), but I am really concerned right now.Sunday can't come soon enough to see if our coaches can make the right adjustments.

Beer is still cold and sold until midnight and 1 a.m. on Saturdays.

Now go in peace my son.

Honoring Earl 34
09-17-2009, 10:52 PM
I present the Titan fight song .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRE9qOgbug

Shaft75
09-17-2009, 11:21 PM

Now go in peace my son.

I actually shed a tear at that pep talk. Well done, my friend.

Norg
09-17-2009, 11:57 PM
I know how u feel man but TBH has sunday comes closer iam feeling another LOss

And my season predictions have really drop at first i was saying PLayoffs maybe AFC championship game now iam thinking 8-8

mattieuk
09-18-2009, 04:08 AM
I was pissed Sunday, for sure. Really pissed. After waiting all that time, through BS OTAs, training camp, pre-season and all of that, if was a bitter start to the season. From the only playing evidence we have, yes we've just not done well, in the slightest. Many things were awful against the Jets....although its probably more a mixture of us being very poor, and the Jets being very good. A lot has been made of Sanchez being a rookie, in his first game, but that doesn't sit with me. Their defense was good, a typical Rex Ryan display, with nice blitzes that ruined Schaub's game, and our rhythm, and therefore didn't allow us to get the run going either. That offense can be turned around easily, and I believe it will be turned around. When looking over FF starters for this week, I just couldn't find any way to leave Schaub, AJ and OD on the bench, no matter how bad last week was, because we all simply know we're better than we did last week. As for the D....we created no pressure on Sanchez, which gave him a free ride, and we completely blew the coverage for the TD. Again, I don't think we can be as bad again, although on the defensive side of things I'm a little bit more cautious.

On our day we can win easily against the Titans. We conceded only 12 points against them, with them having pretty much the same offense, whilst having a defense ran by 'The Defensive Coordinator Who Shall Not Be Named'.

I don't know if we will pull off a win, but I do know we can't possibly be as disgusted as we were at 4pm last Sunday, and that in itself gets me looking forward to kickoff.

GNTLEWOLF
09-18-2009, 04:17 AM
I was pissed Sunday, for sure. Really pissed. After waiting all that time, through BS OTAs, training camp, pre-season and all of that, if was a bitter start to the season. From the only playing evidence we have, yes we've just not done well, in the slightest. Many things were awful against the Jets....although its probably more a mixture of us being very poor, and the Jets being very good. A lot has been made of Sanchez being a rookie, in his first game, but that doesn't sit with me. Their defense was good, a typical Rex Ryan display, with nice blitzes that ruined Schaub's game, and our rhythm, and therefore didn't allow us to get the run going either. That offense can be turned around easily, and I believe it will be turned around. When looking over FF starters for this week, I just couldn't find any way to leave Schaub, AJ and OD on the bench, no matter how bad last week was, because we all simply know we're better than we did last week. As for the D....we created no pressure on Sanchez, which gave him a free ride, and we completely blew the coverage for the TD. Again, I don't think we can be as bad again, although on the defensive side of things I'm a little bit more cautious.

On our day we can win easily against the Titans. We conceded only 12 points against them, with them having pretty much the same offense, whilst having a defense ran by 'The Defensive Coordinator Who Shall Not Be Named'.

I don't know if we will pull off a win, but I do know we can't possibly be as disgusted as we were at 4pm last Sunday, and that in itself gets me looking forward to kickoff.

Never say "Never"

Malloy
09-18-2009, 04:31 AM

Now go in peace my son.

Land of the free my BEEEP... :)

Here we can buy beer, liquor and smokes 24/7 (having a 7-11 around the corner is nice)

As for the peptalk: 'We can do it!!'

Did it work ? :)

HJam72
09-18-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm not worried. I'm really pretty sure we'll get at least....2 wins this year. :thinking:

Mr. White
09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I haven't been this grumpy as a Texans fan in a long time...and it's not getting any better now that it's the end of the week.

I just keep telling myself that there's an upside to even the worst of seasons....cheap tickets and high draft picks. I haven't convinced myself of that yet because I still remember too well how unwatchable we were in 2005.

It doesn't matter if I get a pep talk or not because I can't play the game.

76Texan
09-18-2009, 09:56 AM

:thud:I didn't have a chance to see this. Can somebody elaborate on how they showed us being confused by the 3-4?

HOU-TEX
09-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Hip-hip-hooray!!

Feel better, Wolf?

michaelm
09-18-2009, 10:19 AM
I didn't have a chance to see this. Can somebody elaborate on how they showed us being confused by the 3-4?

The Jets were doing something that I believe is uncommon in the average 3-4 defense. They were pinching in their DTs in, so that their NT covered our center and both of our guards were covered by the DTs.
This was having the effect of freeing up their ILBs, and giving them free lanes into the backfield.
It looked like our OTs were staying at home against the threat of a rush by one or both OLBs, so our interior triangle was always occupied and if both ILBs blitzed, we had only one RB in most cases to pick it up.
There were a lot of free runners into the backfield on both rushing and passing plays.

Oh, that's part of my pep talk. A huge majority of the problems I identified in Sunday's game are correctable, both on offense and defense.
The D actually started out very, very good against the run, but missed assignments and mistakes by our DBs allowed drives to be extended on third and long. Hopefully, the addition of Reeves in the defensive backfield will have a trickle down positive effect.
Our inability to keep drives sustained on offense led to the defense being tired and then they started giving up those long runs.

Hardcore Texan
09-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't have any expectations for the game, I think if we show up we MIGHT be able to keep it close. What's more likely, the titans starting 0-2 or the Texans starting 0-2?

I would love, love, love to be proven wrong, I will never miss watching a game, and I will be rooting hard for our team but I have to manage my expectations. If we prove we can play well, that will be a step in the right direction. After that we got 4 very winnable games, IF we can prove we worked out the kinks. So all is not lost, the sky is not falling, there is a good chance in my mind we could be 4-2 after 6 games. But I just don't think there is a good chance we pull of our next one.

I am just trying to be realistic.

stevn8r
09-18-2009, 11:15 AM
I was going to start a thread about great inspirational speaches today because I thought we all need it! (especially the players)
My first attempt HERE http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1251737&postcount=123 was a decent start, but, I think I found the right one!

Well Wolf, I hope this helps....It sure helped me :fans:

Inspirational goodness!!! click below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Hardcore Texan
09-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I was going to start a thread about great inspirational speaches today because I thought we all need it! (especially the players)
My first attempt HERE http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1251737&postcount=123 was a decent start, but, I think I found the right one!

Well Wolf, I hope this helps....It sure helped me :fans:

Inspirational goodness!!! click below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Been awhile since I seen that one, it's as great as ever!

Texan_Bill
09-18-2009, 11:33 AM

Visit the "Babe" thread. That always picks me up. :specnatz:

badboy
09-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Sorry, the best I can offer is that the coaches we have can turn this around and the players are good enough to get a win. Having said that, how did New York happen to us? Monday, people were talking about how good Jets are but I did not hear that before Sunday. Bottom line, this team needs to prove themselves from the coaches to the players. It is gut check time. I don't have to have a win but I darn sure need to see a huge improvement. I do not want to hear anymore post game speeches by anyone that "we are getting better, blah, blah ,blah". Put it on the field. I almost turned off the Jets game, I was that disgusted. I used to be an Astros fan, I want to not have to say that about Texans.

Vinny
09-18-2009, 11:46 AM
we have the NFL in Houston, so each week we get to see at least one really good team.

Porky
09-18-2009, 12:50 PM
we have the NFL in Houston, so each week we get to see at least one really good team.

That's your pep talk Vinny? LOL. I know I'm exited now. :doot:

76Texan
09-18-2009, 12:52 PM
The Jets were doing something that I believe is uncommon in the average 3-4 defense. They were pinching in their DTs in, so that their NT covered our center and both of our guards were covered by the DTs.
This was having the effect of freeing up their ILBs, and giving them free lanes into the backfield.
It looked like our OTs were staying at home against the threat of a rush by one or both OLBs, so our interior triangle was always occupied and if both ILBs blitzed, we had only one RB in most cases to pick it up.
There were a lot of free runners into the backfield on both rushing and passing plays.

Oh, that's part of my pep talk. A huge majority of the problems I identified in Sunday's game are correctable, both on offense and defense.
The D actually started out very, very good against the run, but missed assignments and mistakes by our DBs allowed drives to be extended on third and long. Hopefully, the addition of Reeves in the defensive backfield will have a trickle down positive effect.
Our inability to keep drives sustained on offense led to the defense being tired and then they started giving up those long runs.
Is that what they said?

I don't have enough time, but I will start a little thread for play-by-play analyis.
It won't be complete, maybe in the off-season when I can have more time.
I thought they lined up in the 4-man front more (especially the 4-3 UNDER with a LB on the LOS to make it 5).
Sure, they did line up in the 3-4 with 2 LBs on the LOS, too.

But it looks to me like we were having problem either way.
I can't really tell since I just don't have enough time.

badboy
09-18-2009, 12:57 PM
That's your pep talk Vinny? LOL. I know I'm exited now. :doot:
Whoa, dude. Do you realize how many web sites Vinny had to research and how much thought he had to put into that brief but concise post? Huh? Well do you?

Khari
09-18-2009, 02:02 PM

unless we play the rams...lions...or raiders :cow:

Goatcheese
09-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Barry has a message for Texans fans:

Fired up!
Ready to go!

Fired up!
Ready to go!

Fired up!
Ready to go!

Let's get this done, they can't stop us!

JDizzle
09-18-2009, 04:29 PM
We're almost near the end of this cycle, it'll all be over soon. If we stink again this year, well according to my handy flowchart changes are coming and the cycle restarts.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2laa0wp.jpg

Texans_Chick
09-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Look, if you look at the matchup on paper, it's not looking good for the good guys, but it wasn't looking good for them last time and they won.

And most importantly, we might lose, or we might win this particular weeken, but our team will neverever be named after inbred, incestuous, child-eating losers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiH4-h4o6Us
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiH4-h4o6Us)

I would pay huge money to guarantee a win this weekend. It would bring me great joy. But NFL wins are something precise beyond money.

Ryan
09-19-2009, 12:57 AM
New Texans Motto: "Hey, at least we're not Detroit"

yet:gun:

CloakNNNdagger
09-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Slaton had TWO 100 yd performances last year (even with Fat Albert in there)..............No other team team even accomplished that once..........We'll have to hope it goes likewise this Sunday.............or we'll have to conclude that changes have occurred since...........bad changes.

NitroGSXR
09-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Slaton had TWO 100 yd performances last year (even with Fat Albert in there)..............No other team team even accomplished that once..........We'll have to hope it goes likewise this Sunday.............or we'll have to conclude that changes have occurred since...........bad changes.

They're going to be gunning for Steve Slaton. This is where we need our air attack to be effective. Kevin Walter {questionable} and Andre Davis {OUT} are issues that are going to dramatically affect how the Titans attack Slaton.

I expect Slaton to get shut out tomorrow but that'll be okay if Walter plays and hauls in some nice cross screens.

If we had somebody that we could consistently pound in there to wear out that defensive line... I'd be real happy. I'm not exactly very confident with Gary Kubiak in that he'd call upon Chris Brown with enough carries nor activate Arian Foster for this game. I'm still flabbergasted that CBrown only got three carries last week.

They may be missing Haynesworth but they've still got a helluva line out there. Jason Jones is a badass. Our only option is to gas them out like the Steelers did and let Slaton shine in the second half as he was able to do last season against the Titans twice or decimate that secondary.

beerlover
09-19-2009, 11:14 AM
I would be really suprised if the Texans don't play with a sense of urgency that their whole season comes down to this game. that in itself should be enough to make things interesting. we wait all year for football season to start well its here lets enjoy the expereince good & bad because I'm not ready for the draft just yet. let's watch Casey in a Texans uniform playing on Sunday living his dream (I expect positive results). or Jacoby break one to the house (ball security much improved) maybe Barwin gets his first NFL sack, lets revel in his celebration dance (that would pump up the troops). how about Dunta answearing critics with INT for a TD (shut-up & play)? can the defense outscore the offense two weeks in a row, set some goals. Can this OL establish the line of scrimmage for an effective running attack? Does Schaub get protection, avoid sacks & make some plays? these are all questions that need answeared & reasons to watch :texflag:

beerlover
09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I would be really suprised if the Texans don't play with a sense of urgency that their whole season comes down to this game. that in itself should be enough to make things interesting. we wait all year for football season to start well its here lets enjoy the expereince good & bad because I'm not ready for the draft just yet. let's watch Casey in a Texans uniform playing on Sunday living his dream (I expect positive results). or Jacoby break one to the house (ball security much improved) maybe Barwin gets his first NFL sack, lets revel in his celebration dance (that would pump up the troops). how about Dunta answearing critics with INT for a TD (shut-up & play)? can the defense outscore the offense two weeks in a row, set some goals. Can this OL establish the line of scrimmage for an effective running attack? Does Schaub get protection, avoid sacks & make some plays? these are all questions that need answeared & reasons to watch :texflag:

a win works too :texflag:

HOU-TEX
09-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Hip-hip-hooray!!

Feel better, Wolf?

See, my pep talk worked like a charm.

Wolf
09-27-2009, 05:32 PM
boy, how in the hell does a team let DG beat them like that .. no sacks, no pressure up the middle, open receivers ....

*sigh*