PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts on the Texans

gafftop
09-16-2009, 06:49 PM
1. Instead of dropping Mario into pass coverage from the end spot, why not drop someone who can catch the ball? Who would that be????

2. You play like you practice. I was one that was not pleased that the Texans were getting their a***** kicked all preseason. The response was it is only preseason chill. No you play like you practice. Ever since the week practice with New Orleans this team seemed to be OK with getting their *** kicked. New team song " I got my *** kicked and I think I like it."

3. Maybe Kubiak needs to take back over the offense. I don't want to go through the learning curve with a new offensive coordinator. The Texans defense actually looked semi OK in the first half. If we had some offensive output it might have made a difference.

4. Then again in reference to defense, maybe the only reason we looked OK on 1st and 2nd down was because they were so conservative and plain on 1st and 2nd because of the rookie QB that it was easy for our defense. Maybe they ran their complex offense on 3rd down in which case our defense is really not OK, but BAD. Question, I went to the game and did not feel like looking at it again later,did we make major changes in our defense or did we play less agressive on 3rd down? Was it a coaching change that made us less effective on 3rd down.

5.Matt Schaub " The Perfect Storm"
a.Matt , not real mobile especially if ankle problem. FACT
b.Offensive line, not real good on protection FACT
c.Matt not the most durable QB in the league. FACT
Anybody remember the end of the movie.

6. This is the 1st time I have maybe questioned whether this TEAM is together and focused on one thing , WINNING. It reminds me a little of the sequal of the baseball movie where Charlie Sheen played the relief pitcher Wild Thing. They had a good season and the next year they had NO FOCUS.
This team seems to have a lot of distractions for a team that has never done anything. This team has the attitude that they did something last year and now are more worried about their own deals than about WINNING and being a TEAM. Has the attitude in the locker room changed because of contract etc. with Dunta, OD , and Ryan. I never had this question last year about this team. This year I am not so sure. SOMETHING HAS CHANGED.

7. It is OK for fans to live in fantasy land in reference to the team. Coaches need to be honest about their teams strengths and weaknesses. Have a gameplan that gives you a chance to win, even if that means titleing it the "The Super Tricky Let It All Hang Out Hail Mary Game Plan" I don't think the Texans can grind it out with the Titans and win, but I do think there is a way for the Texans's to win. Can Matt throw the long ball with his ankle problem? Just asking.

Again guys these are just some of MY random thoughts.

GNTLEWOLF
09-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Actually...I read the thread title and thought that someone had actually figured out the coaching scheme.

brakos82
09-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Actually...I read the thread title and thought that someone had actually figured out the coaching scheme.

Like 92% of us? :thisbig:

barrett
09-17-2009, 02:36 AM
I think Kubiak believes, and Jeff Fisher agrees, as does Bob McNair, that the key to being successful is to remain consistent and stick to your guns and continue to do what you believe will get results.

76Texan
09-17-2009, 02:39 AM
1. Instead of dropping Mario into pass coverage from the end spot, why not drop someone who can catch the ball? Who would that be????

Connor Barwin easily!

76Texan
09-17-2009, 02:43 AM
5.Matt Schaub " The Perfect Storm"
a.Matt , not real mobile especially if ankle problem. FACT
b.Offensive line, not real good on protection FACT
c.Matt not the most durable QB in the league. FACT
Anybody remember the end of the movie.

George Clooney went to heaven peacefully!
Dunno where MS heading to?!? :thinking: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Carr Bombed
09-17-2009, 02:48 AM
George Clooney went to heaven peacefully!
Dunno where MS heading to?!? :thinking: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Matt Schaub didn't make it on the boat......he had to miss the fishing trip when he sprained his ankle walking to the dock.

76Texan
09-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Matt Schaub didn't make it on the boat......he had to miss the fishing trip when he sprained his ankle walking to the dock.:spit:

Marcus
09-17-2009, 03:07 AM
3. Maybe Kubiak needs to take back over the offense. I don't want to go through the learning curve with a new offensive coordinator.

Not keen on that one. When the offensive line get's eaten alive up front, there's not much an offensive coordinator can do about that. And there weren't complaints about Shanahan's playcalling last season when Kubes handed over the reins last season. Matter of fact, most considered his playcalling to be better.

And I would have thought that Kubes would be better with the red flag after he let Kyle handle the playcalling, but that hasn't happened yet.

ObsiWan
09-17-2009, 03:20 AM
Matt Schaub didn't make it on the boat......he had to miss the fishing trip when he sprained his ankle walking to the dock.

I didn't think he made it that far. I heard he sprained his wrist while brushing his teeth.

El Tejano
09-17-2009, 08:39 AM
3. Maybe Kubiak needs to take back over the offense. I don't want to go through the learning curve with a new offensive coordinator. The Texans defense actually looked semi OK in the first half. If we had some offensive output it might have made a difference.

I have been thinking the same thing. Last year we were actually unpredictable, and we stayed with the running game no matter how much it was being stopped. This past weekend Matt Schaub kept looking at the sidelines with this look of "Give me the damn play already. Hurry up."
We just didn't look together at all. Perhaps young Shanny was not good on quick decision making.

gafftop
09-17-2009, 08:50 AM
This is in response to Barrett above. I understand what you are saying. When the Texans develope a game plan they make assumptions about what they have (strengths and Weaknesses) and what the opponent has. They then base their game plan on these and then you stick to it and adjust as necessary. My feeling is the Texans felt they could play smashmouth with the Jets and then had no backup plan or refused to adjust after the game started. I just hope they understand that they probably can't over power the Titans and plan accordingly. Maybe after they get the defense on their heels they can mix in the run. The mobility and health of your QB is figured in this equation. I am starting to ramble, but basically I don't want to see the same ill designed unimaginative stale non-adjusting game plan I saw for the Jets. The Texans are what they are and I hope the coaches see this and plan based on this. I know pretty basic and simple, but after what I saw the 1st week I am beginning to wonder what "they" think the Texans are.

Texan_Bill
09-17-2009, 08:58 AM

:spit:

*ahem* Booooooooooooooooooo!!!

nunusguy
09-17-2009, 09:06 AM
After a second look at Sundays game (it wasn't easy!) from my DVD recording it looks as if Cushing was being pulled in most nickel situations ?
Was this because his preseason injury limited his opportunity to practice in our nickel packages, or because he's just not going to be a 3-down LB ?
He played reasonably well in our rush defense, but if he's going to be on the bench in passing situations it just reinforces the reason many didn't like the pick: first half of the first round too high a price to pay for a SAM LB who's off the field in passing situations.

HOU-TEX
09-17-2009, 10:08 AM
I think Kubiak believes, and Jeff Fisher agrees, as does Bob McNair, that the key to being successful is to remain consistent and stick to your guns and continue to do what you believe will get results.

How can you "remain consistent" if you've never been consistent to begin with? :thinking:

This team hasn't been consistent at anything....ever.

76Texan
09-17-2009, 10:20 AM
After a second look at Sundays game (it wasn't easy!) from my DVD recording it looks as if Cushing was being pulled in most nickel situations ?
Was this because his preseason injury limited his opportunity to practice in our nickel packages, or because he's just not going to be a 3-down LB ?
He played reasonably well in our rush defense, but if he's going to be on the bench in passing situations it just reinforces the reason many didn't like the pick: first half of the first round too high a price to pay for a SAM LB who's off the field in passing situations.

It was in their plan to bring him along.
Especially when considering that he had missed quite a bit of time, I'm cool with that.

I've said even as we started discussing draft pick:
Cushing needs to learn and to get used to different coverage schemes.

76Texan
09-17-2009, 10:21 AM
How can you "remain consistent" if you've never been consistent to begin with? :thinking:

This team hasn't been consistent at anything....ever.

Yeah we have!

We consistently suck! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

76Texan
09-17-2009, 10:23 AM
This is in response to Barrett above. I understand what you are saying. When the Texans develope a game plan they make assumptions about what they have (strengths and Weaknesses) and what the opponent has. They then base their game plan on these and then you stick to it and adjust as necessary. My feeling is the Texans felt they could play smashmouth with the Jets and then had no backup plan or refused to adjust after the game started. I just hope they understand that they probably can't over power the Titans and plan accordingly. Maybe after they get the defense on their heels they can mix in the run. The mobility and health of your QB is figured in this equation. I am starting to ramble, but basically I don't want to see the same ill designed unimaginative stale non-adjusting game plan I saw for the Jets. The Texans are what they are and I hope the coaches see this and plan based on this. I know pretty basic and simple, but after what I saw the 1st week I am beginning to wonder what "they" think the Texans are.
If Shanahan thinks he can play smashmouth with Jenkins, I say let him take the field! :foottap:

HOU-TEX
09-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah we have!

We consistently suck! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Can't really say that because we've had 2 8-8 seasons.

I reckon we can say we've been consistently inconsistent?

76Texan
09-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Not keen on that one. When the offensive line get's eaten alive up front, there's not much an offensive coordinator can do about that. And there weren't complaints about Shanahan's playcalling last season when Kubes handed over the reins last season. Matter of fact, most considered his playcalling to be better.

And I would have thought that Kubes would be better with the red flag after he let Kyle handle the playcalling, but that hasn't happened yet.

I thought Shanahan only called one game in its entirety?!?

And yes, there are plenty of things an OC can do when he prepared the game plan, such as:

1. Game-planning for Jenkins.
2. Game-planning for the blitz.

76Texan
09-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Can't really say that because we've had 2 8-8 seasons.

I reckon we can say we've been consistently inconsistent?

Darn straight! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

badboy
09-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Random thoughts;
Does Jacoby understand he has to do more than just not fumble?

Is Schaub wondering what will happen to him next? Is it just me or are the players in the huddle standing just a bit further from him?

Will it matter to the fans if Reeves comes back from a broken leg and has a good game in comparison to DR's first game back?

Was Slaton's gain in weight similar to Anthony Weaver being asked to gain and then Slaton also was sluggish?

Will Texan's Dline step up?

After the game will Kubes admit he called all the offensive plays?

Will our penalties exceed 200 yards?

Why do I allow a silly game to control my emotions?

gafftop
09-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Movie is Major League had to google.

Never understood how you get Dante out of Dunta?

Whatever DR way over rated and tackling is part of the job. I get tired of these guys that don't wrap up when making tackles. Do they think just because "THEY" hit the guy he is supposed to go down. I know not just the Texans, all over the league. I guess when these guys make that kind of money you can't teach them the fundamentals, but the good ones sure know how to tackle.

Can Texan's Dline stand up?

Thanks for just overlooking my suggestion of a new team song.