PDA

View Full Version : How far are we?

thunderkyss
09-16-2009, 05:30 PM
How far are we from being a good team? Are we one player away? If so, is that something we can solve by the trade deadline? Offense? Deffense?

Are we still as bad as we've ever been? With holes at every position? Is it going to take another draft or two?

Are we a headcoach away? Do we have the talent we need to be a contender?

Depth... Do we have everything we need, and may make the play-offs this year, baring any injury of any kind? Are we just lacking depth?

Is it a combination of things?

I'm asking if you had to make a change, what would it be, and how long would it take before we are contending for a play-off spot?

& while I'm asking, would anyone be happy with a winning season? or is it play-offs or bust for you?

76Texan
09-16-2009, 05:39 PM
We would be closer if MS can prove he's able to stay on the field, and then he needs to show he can make good pre-snap reads.

Reeves needs to show that he can continue to improve.
And we can always use another safety or two.
Or Ferguson and Wilson need to stay healthy and play at least at the same level as last year or better.
Or somebody needs to step up.

CoastalTexan
09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
I think it is the culture. We need to do something, if thats get one real leader on the field through FA or wipe the whole staff clean I don't know. But I would be curious of who we kept from the Dom Capers era in the front office.

Corrosion
09-16-2009, 05:44 PM
I think we are a few players away :

OL- Center. We need a guy who can take on these massive DT/NT's and not get shoved all over the field. I think that would solve a lot of our OL issues and improve our running game by leaps and bounds , especially in short yardage situations.

DT: We need one of those big nasty's up front who demands double teams and can hold his ground against the run.

SS & FS: Our safety play has been bad since day one, piss poor coverage and piss poor angles .... and some piss poor tackling.

Runner
09-16-2009, 05:44 PM
I think it is the culture. We need to do something, if thats get one real leader on the field through FA or wipe the whole staff clean I don't know. But I would be curious of who we kept from the Dom Capers era in the front office.

It's way to late to find new "Capers people to blame". It's well past the time for blaming the old ones too.

TheRealJoker
09-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Talent wise:

On defense we still need a stud DT that can drop anchor in the middle and tell the opposing OL "I'm not going anywhere." We also need a guy at the safety the position who can be competent defending the run and the pass.

On offense we still need a center who wont get steamrolled everytime we go up against a team who already has said stud DT.

Coaching wise:

We need a guy who can get the Texans ready to play consistently. Kubiak is obviously a very smart offensive coach but he lacks the fire a young team like us needs in order to get that competitive edge we so desperately need. Our players should've been talking about the inspiring pregame speech that got them ready to play on opening day not the opponent's players. It still boggles my mind how a coach can allow a team that has never had a winning season in their franchise's history to get comfortable and not be prepared to play every game.

I'm realistic, I know the teams that have PROVEN they are winners are bound to have a trap game every now and again. Hell, they're enitled to a hiccup here and there. But for the Texans to consistently do so is just ridiculous because we've only proven that unlike every other team in the NFL we've never had a winning season or made the playoffs!

Texan JBZ
09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I just want to see a competitive and tough team every Sunday. I want them to have a winning season more than anything because it is extremely difficult to make the playoffs out of the AFC. What I don't want to see is them get their teeth kicked in again for the umpteenth time. As far as what they're missing? I don't know, a spine?

m5kwatts
09-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Not far at all, THATS why losing the way we did Sunday is so disheartening

Double Barrel
09-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Whatever can instill consistent intensity and focus into this team is how far we are, IMHO.

We won four in a row last season, culminating in a win over the Titans. The next week we laid an egg in Oakland. That same team in Oakland showed up in Reliant last Sunday.

It just seems that there is a constant meltdown as a team that is beyond talent. Maybe it's those intangibles: heart, drive, will. Where does that come from?

TexansFanatic
09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
I'll add this much:

For eight drafts now I've been hoping we would pick a big, fast workhorse running back who can get four yards every time he touches the ball and who can get the critical few yards necessary at the end of a game when the opponent is expecting the Texans to try to run.

For eight drafts now I've been disappointed.

The year we drafted Amobi, we were just three picks away from getting Adrian Peterson, perhaps the best back to come along in 20 or even 30 years. (Obviously we won't know for sure for several years to come, but right now he looks like an amazing back.) My feeling is that if we had gotten Peterson by trading up somehow, we would have been in the playoffs two years already.

When the hell is this organization finally going to realize that a franchise-type running back can mean the difference between mediocrity and excellence?

TheRealJoker
09-16-2009, 06:22 PM
I'll add this much:

For eight drafts now I've been hoping we would pick a big, fast workhorse running back who can get four yards every time he touches the ball and who can get the critical few yards necessary at the end of a game when the opponent is expecting the Texans to try to run.

For eight drafts now I've been disappointed.

The year we drafted Amobi, we were just three picks away from getting Adrian Peterson, perhaps the best back to come along in 20 or even 30 years. (Obviously we won't know for sure for several years to come, but right now he looks like an amazing back.) My feeling is that if we had gotten Peterson by trading up somehow, we would have been in the playoffs two years already.

When the hell is this organization finally going to realize that a franchise-type running back can mean the difference between mediocrity and excellence?

For a look back at hindsight since Kubiak took over just think if we would've signed Drew Brees then packaged a 1st and the 3rd we drafted Jacoby with (or one of the Schaub seconds if absolutely necessary) to draft Peterson...

Or hell, what if we had signed Michael Turner last year instead of Ahman Green the year before last? A Turner/Slaton or Peterson/Slaton combo would be the best in the league!!!

TexansFanatic
09-16-2009, 06:28 PM
For a look back at hindsight since Kubiak took over just think if we would've signed Drew Brees then packaged a 1st and the 3rd we drafted Jacoby with (or one of the Schaub seconds if absolutely necessary) to draft Peterson...

Or hell, what if we had signed Michael Turner last year instead of Ahman Green the year before last? A Turner/Slaton or Peterson/Slaton combo would be the best in the league!!!

Also great points.

Not getting some of the better free agents is starting to piss me off.

Why not make a play for Drew Brees? Why not make a better offer to Michael Turner?

Instead we overpay Antonio "Anthony Weaver" Smith.

thunderkyss
09-16-2009, 06:30 PM
We won four in a row last season, culminating in a win over the Titans. The next week we laid an egg in Oakland. That same team in Oakland showed up in Reliant last Sunday.

The best team doesn't always win.

That being said, we beat some pretty good teams last year, when they had play-off implications for them. Chicago was out of the play-offs, and they needed the win to have chance. We smacked them in the mouth, and stopped them from doing what they do. & they were stepping stones on our way to be a top three offense, to send 3 players to the Pro-Bowl, and to have a second 8-8 season. Same thing for Tennessee in December. Smash & dash my ass. We stopped them, and they lost homefield advantage.

IMHO, we need consistency. That comes from doing the basics, the fundamentals right every time. IMHO, there was not a shortage of talent on the field Sunday. I lay the whole loss, on the coaches.

Whatever weaknesses the Jets had, we didn't see them, we didn't attack them, and we didn't do what we do.

They saw our weaknesses, attacked them, and took advantage of our agressiveness.

IMHO, all we need is for Kubiak to figure out how to make us play the way we did against Chicago & Tennessee on a regular basis. That can happen this year.. it could happen this week.

I still have hopes for a play-off appearance this year. I hope, we get a play-off win.

before the Cowpies.

ObsiWan
09-16-2009, 06:56 PM
okay, I'll take a turn...
this may take a moment; you asked a lot of questions.

How far are we from being a good team? Are we one player away? If so, is that something we can solve by the trade deadline? Offense? Deffense?

Possibly. I've been hearing the laments of the guys that have been preaching "go get a play-making safety" for years. Well, thanks to last weeks game, they've reached me. If there's a guy out there who can run like the wind, has good/great ball-hawking skills, and hit like a linebacker, we should spare no expense.
Two would be better.

Are we still as bad as we've ever been? With holes at every position? Is it going to take another draft or two?
No. While we could use another stud here and there - who couldn't - we're no where near as bad as we were at the start of 2006. We already talked safety. The QB position - sorry Schaub-lovers - needs an upgrade. I've watched the game three times now (call me a masochist) and there were times where the line actually gave Schaub time to throw. There were other times when even the casual observer knew the blitz was coming. Seems like Schaub should have seen it too and checked to a better play or just called timeout, if the two plays given to him by Kyle looked doomed to failure. If Kubiak doesn't have confidence that his QB has good recognition skills, then why the hell is he starting??

Are we a headcoach away?
Had you asked me that first question a month ago, I would have said, "No." Loudly. Now, I'm not so sure. Kubiak looked whipped and lost for most of the game. I don't know if it was dismay because what he thought should work kept blowing up in his face or that he nor Kyle could not identify any Jet weaknesses his offense could exploit.

I'm asking if you had to make a change, what would it be?

For this season, I'd make three changes.
1) No more annointing a starter. If Rex looked better in practice than Schaub, Rex starts. If Slaton keeps auditioning for Dancing With The Stars, he gets yanked and Chris Brown plays. Everyone, from Schaub on down, earns their spot, by their in-game production, from week to week.

2) I'd comb the weeds for better DBs. And not at the clearance rack either. If I could get someone with experience for a 2nd day pick, I'm getting him. If I can get a shutdown guy for a 1st day pick, I'm getting him.
All you Draft-A-Stud-DB guys have converted me to the dark side.

3) Flush this we gotta establish the run B.S. There's too much speed/talent at WR/TE on this team not to use it. I'll bet Mike Marsh could have a field day with the pass-catchers we have.

For future seasons, draft football players. Screw the combine numbers. Does the guy run/hit/catch/cover/tackle?? Get the guys that do those things the best.
Does he thump his chest and say "look at me" when he makes a routine tackle?
Yes? Sorry. Can't use you.
Can you play and are you all about doing whatever it takes to win? Welcome aboard. Here's your uni.

OFF :soapbox:
I'm going to sit back down now.

Wolf
09-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't know who is available, but we need a safety BADLY..

maybe I read too much about the Colts, but you see how Sanders can transforms that defense (when healthy)

with that, we are the Dolphins of the 80's but instead of Running backs year after year with high draft pics, we are drafting Dt's year after year and with no luck

I couldn't imagine how pumped I would be if we could send 4 in and get pressure on the QB instead of sending the house time and time again and with that, I expect screen after screen from the offenses

GNTLEWOLF
09-16-2009, 07:22 PM
I think we are a few players away :

OL- Center. We need a guy who can take on these massive DT/NT's and not get shoved all over the field. I think that would solve a lot of our OL issues and improve our running game by leaps and bounds , especially in short yardage situations.

DT: We need one of those big nasty's up front who demands double teams and can hold his ground against the run.

SS & FS: Our safety play has been bad since day one, piss poor coverage and piss poor angles .... and some piss poor tackling.

I would like to add to that... a shut down CB as well. The rest, I totally agree with

toronto
09-16-2009, 07:48 PM
The best team doesn't always win.

That being said, we beat some pretty good teams last year, when they had play-off implications for them. Chicago was out of the play-offs, and they needed the win to have chance. We smacked them in the mouth, and stopped them from doing what they do. & they were stepping stones on our way to be a top three offense, to send 3 players to the Pro-Bowl, and to have a second 8-8 season. Same thing for Tennessee in December. Smash & dash my ass. We stopped them, and they lost homefield advantage.

IMHO, we need consistency. That comes from doing the basics, the fundamentals right every time. IMHO, there was not a shortage of talent on the field Sunday. I lay the whole loss, on the coaches.

Whatever weaknesses the Jets had, we didn't see them, we didn't attack them, and we didn't do what we do.

They saw our weaknesses, attacked them, and took advantage of our agressiveness.

IMHO, all we need is for Kubiak to figure out how to make us play the way we did against Chicago & Tennessee on a regular basis. That can happen this year.. it could happen this week.

I still have hopes for a play-off appearance this year. I hope, we get a play-off win.

before the Cowpies.

Titans had homefield, sad to remind you (and me)

Thorn
09-16-2009, 08:00 PM
We have got some legitimate all pros on this team, and a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. Yeah, there are some holes that need patched, but teams with lesser talent have done better than 500 seasons.

As much as I do respect Kubiac and hope he comes around, I blame him.

gary
09-16-2009, 08:07 PM
I'd change the attiude of the team and have them ready to go each and every Sunday playing like somone just shot a cannon right up their ass.

Honoring Earl 34
09-16-2009, 08:18 PM
I think there's four building blocks that you need and spend big bucks on . You can get by I guess but for arguments sake , here we go .

QB ?
LT ?
CB ?
Pass rusher = Mario

thunderkyss
09-16-2009, 08:22 PM
For this season, I'd make three changes.
1) No more annointing a starter. If Rex looked better in practice than Schaub, Rex starts. If Slaton keeps auditioning for Dancing With The Stars, he gets yanked and Chris Brown plays. Everyone, from Schaub on down, earns their spot, by their in-game production, from week to week.

2) I'd comb the weeds for better DBs. And not at the clearance rack either. If I could get someone with experience for a 2nd day pick, I'm getting him. If I can get a shutdown guy for a 1st day pick, I'm getting him.
All you Draft-A-Stud-DB guys have converted me to the dark side.

3) Flush this we gotta establish the run B.S. There's too much speed/talent at WR/TE on this team not to use it. I'll bet Mike Marsh could have a field day with the pass-catchers we have.

For future seasons, draft football players. Screw the combine numbers. Does the guy run/hit/catch/cover/tackle?? Get the guys that do those things the best.
Does he thump his chest and say "look at me" when he makes a routine tackle?
Yes? Sorry. Can't use you.
Can you play and are you all about doing whatever it takes to win? Welcome aboard. Here's your uni.

OFF :soapbox:
I'm going to sit back down now.

Really good post...... Thankyou.

I especially liked #1, and I think #2 would let the team know we are serious about winning.

thunderkyss
09-16-2009, 08:24 PM
I'd change the attiude of the team and have them ready to go each and every Sunday playing like somone just shot a cannon right up their ass.

Short of shooting a cannon up their ass, how would you do that? Are you saying Kubiak isn't a motivational speaker type?

thunderkyss
09-16-2009, 08:26 PM
I appreciate evryone's response in this thread. All good ideas... sounds like no one has given up on this team yet.

I just had to single out ObsiWan's post, because it sounds like something I would have said.... :ant:

Honoring Earl 34
09-16-2009, 08:30 PM
I appreciate evryone's response in this thread. All good ideas... sounds like no one has given up on this team yet.

I just had to single out ObsiWan's post, because it sounds like something I would have said.... :ant:

Oh ... because you would have said it , that makes you Charlie Casserly :whip:

gary
09-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Short of shooting a cannon up their ass, how would you do that? Are you saying Kubiak isn't a motivational speaker type? I posted this in another thread about firing Gary and thought I'd post it here.A passive HC isn't good either. It's on both Gary and players. The players are old enough to play motivated and Gary for not preparing his team. A coach that lets his team just get by. I just feel Gary does this way too often. It does not have to be screaming maybe a pizza party what he's doing now is not working. The players must have attitude and get hungry. Play like someone stole their chesseburgers Mario. I'm not calling him out I'm talking to everyone. They play without any spunk at all just like the Rockets, and Astros. Most of this is on the players but some of it is on Gary.

DocBar
09-16-2009, 08:50 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it applies here.

"As far as leadership on the team, Demeco Ryans is quite fond of calling this "his defense". I wonder if he spoke up about DROB and his shoes. Did he get in teammates faces, on both sides of the ball, and question what they're made of? Or Mario Williams, for that matter? IMO, we need someone to be vocal in the locker room and hold people accountable. AJ does it by example, but speaks up when he feels the need. That's ok, but sometimes I wish we had a Hindes Ward or Ray Lewis type player to get his teammates fired up and emotional. Maybe that's a character flaw with all the character guys we have on the team. The only bona fide badasses we've ever had were just bad locker room guys. Maybe we should pick the best SS with the meanest attitude next year. Who's going to be that emotional leader who won't tolerate sloppy play or whining during the season? The elite teams in htis league all have one."

ObsiWan
09-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Thanks, but the sad part is, I didn't say anything that's not obvious to us all.

Goatcheese
09-16-2009, 08:52 PM
All this team needs to be a good team is a winning attitude. They need to upgrade the secondary and interior O-line to become elite, but they have the players and coaching to be good. Their attitude just sucks.

They're an emotional team that gets momentum and dominate, or lose it and can't play worth a damn. They need to get a winning attitude and play up to their potential every game, every series, and every down. Do that, and they'll be good.

eriadoc
09-16-2009, 08:53 PM
lim............ f(x)=1/2x
SB_win -> 1

Spike
09-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Talent wise, I think we are close. I think we are a player or two on defense away from having a strong roster. Like another poster has mentioned, every team has holes to fill and I don't feel like talent is our biggest problem.

Sunday's game is an indication to me that we are a new coaching staff away from turning the corner. No disrespect to Kubes, he is a big part of the improvement we made from the Capers era. I just don't think he is the guy to make that next step. We need to find a coach with a proven track record that can (i) devise a game plan to attack the weaknesses of our opponents, (ii) make adjustments during the game and (iii) demands and achives focus of players from the first snap of the game.

Lucky
09-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Houston Texans Championship Plan:

Phase 1: Collect talent

Phase 2: ???

Phase 3: Profit!!!

So easy, a gnome could do it.

Honoring Earl 34
09-16-2009, 09:25 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it applies here.

"As far as leadership on the team, Demeco Ryans is quite fond of calling this "his defense". I wonder if he spoke up about DROB and his shoes. Did he get in teammates faces, on both sides of the ball, and question what they're made of? Or Mario Williams, for that matter? IMO, we need someone to be vocal in the locker room and hold people accountable. AJ does it by example, but speaks up when he feels the need. That's ok, but sometimes I wish we had a Hindes Ward or Ray Lewis type player to get his teammates fired up and emotional. Maybe that's a character flaw with all the character guys we have on the team. The only bona fide badasses we've ever had were just bad locker room guys. Maybe we should pick the best SS with the meanest attitude next year. Who's going to be that emotional leader who won't tolerate sloppy play or whining during the season? The elite teams in htis league all have one."

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/sf49/49ers.html

1979: Under new Coach Bill Walsh the 49ers would struggle to another terrible 2-14 record. However, all over there were signs of improvement as the offense went form one of the worst in the NFL to one of the best despite another disappointing season form O.J. Simpson, a season that would be his last. However, while O.J. was ending his career, a Rookie QB form Notre Dame was just getting started debuting with 96 yards at 1 TD pass in 23 attempts, named Joe Montana.

1980: The 49ers showed gradual improvement in their rebuilding program under Coach Bill Walsh. A 3-game winning streak to open the season, combined with a 3-game victory string from Week 12 through Week 14 enabled the 49ers to post a 6-10 season, tripling the number of victories from each of the previous two seasons. Their Week 14 win made NFL history, as QB Joe Montana who earned the starting job at the end of the season, led the 49ers to an amazing 38-35 overtime win over the New Orleans Saints at Candlestick, after the 49ers trailed at halftime 35-7. The comeback was the biggest comeback in NFL history.

1981: The season did not start out very good, as the 49ers lost 2 of their first 3 games including a season opening loss in Detroit to the Lions. However, the 49ers would lose just 1 more game the rest of the season and captured the NFC West Title with a 13-3 record. Getting the credit for the turn around was Coach Bill Walsh who was voted the Coach of the Year. However, Walsh had lots of help as QB Joe Montana passed for 3,565 yards in his first full season as starter. Also helping to guide the turn around was a vastly improved defense led by the addition of rookies in the secondary CB Eric Wright, and Safeties Carlton Williamson and S Ronnie Lott. In the playoffs for the first time in 9 years the 49ers hosted the New York Giants in the Divisional Playoffs. After playing to a 7-7 stalemate in the 1st Quarter the 49ers pulled ahead in the 2nd Quarter by scoring 17 points. After the Giants got to within a TD in the 4th Quarter the 49ers put the game away with 2 quick TDs capped by a 20 yard Interception return from S Ronnie Lott, as the 49ers won the game 38-24. In the NFC Championship at Candlestick the 49ers faced their old nemeses the Dallas Cowboys. The game would go back and forth all afternoon, as the 49ers looked to be going down again trailing 27-21 late in the 4th Quarter facing the task of driving 89 yards for a TD. However, the world was introduced to the Montana magic as the 49ers young QB drove the 49ers down the field. With less than a minute left the 49ers faced 3rd and Goal from the 6, as Joe Montana was flushed form the pocket. Trying to avoid a backbreaking sack Montana tried to throw the ball out the back of the endzone. However, WR Dwight Clark leaped up and brought the ball down with perhaps the most famous catch in NFL history to give the 49ers a 28-27 lead. The 49ers would go on to hold on for the win, as a dynasty was born.

The NFL network has a good show about these guys . Randy Cross said Ronnie Lott would go off on them when they played bad , Lott was a rookie .

ObsiWan
09-16-2009, 09:43 PM
lim............ f(x)=1/2x
SB_win -> 1
:headhurts:
??

Kaiser Toro
09-16-2009, 10:12 PM
As said in Spinal Tap - there is such a fine line between clever and stupid.

Just beat the friggin Titans, that should be the singular goal at this point in time.

Norg
09-16-2009, 10:22 PM
I think someone said even back in 07 when we where going 8-8 they said we where about 3 years away about 2010 or 2011 away from being a legit badass

Has of know i think we are a very solid team and i beleive if we get to the post season we can make the best of it getting there is the hard part IMO

Norg
09-16-2009, 10:24 PM
when was tho the last time the Texans be a legit badass team badly ?????

DocBar
09-16-2009, 10:35 PM
when was tho the last time the Texans be a legit badass team badly ?????I would have to say we never beat a legit badass team badly, in a good way, but we've won badly(if that's possible) against a good Steelers team and some good Jags teams.

TexansFanatic
09-16-2009, 11:00 PM
when was tho the last time the Texans be a legit badass team badly ?????

The same thing crossed my mind late last year.

The Texans, as far as I can recall, have never beaten the crap out of a team bound for the playoffs.

My definition of a blowout (a definition shared by others) is a three touchdown victory.

The Texans have never had a three touchdown victory over a playoff team.

JB
09-17-2009, 08:16 AM
I would give our entire 2010 draft for Eric Berry & Taylor Mays

badboy
09-17-2009, 03:55 PM
As much as I want to say the one position is DT, I will not. Our linemen and LBs should be strong enough to slow the run disadvantage we had last two years immensely. I am going to go with an Andrian Petersen type power back that can score on any possession and quickly deflate you or slowly move the ball down the field leading to 6 points. a 15 minute advantage on time of possession should be beneficial and make the defense even better. Of course this type of runner opens up the passing game and with our stable of WRs, TEs and backs that can catch the ball, an AP type guy would not be worn out too quickly.

GuerillaBlack
09-17-2009, 05:11 PM
The same thing crossed my mind late last year.

The Texans, as far as I can recall, have never beaten the crap out of a team bound for the playoffs.

My definition of a blowout (a definition shared by others) is a three touchdown victory.

The Texans have never had a three touchdown victory over a playoff team.

Didn't we shut out the Jags in '04, when they were playing for a playoff spot or something?