PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign UH HB Alridge to PS

JWarren14
09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6621711.html

The Texans have signed former University of Houston running back Anthony Alridge to their practice squad. Alridge, who was placed on waivers by Washington in the last roster reduction, replaces Buster Davis, who was placed on waivers Tuesday.

After finishing his career with the Cougars, Alridge signed with the Denver Broncos as an undrafted free agent. After he was waived by the Broncos, he signed with the Redskins.

TimeKiller
09-16-2009, 02:02 PM
OH this guy is going to be starting by week 4. Gaurantee it.

Buster needs to find somewhere else to play. He gets treated like a rag doll here.

DiehardChris
09-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Whoa! Bad ass!

So... this makes me think that the coaches are concerned about our running back situation... more than they're letting on?

I mean, we have Slaton and his backup/similar style back Moats.

We have Brown and his backup/similar style back Foster.

Where does AA fit in?

I love the move, though. Love me some Aldridge!

ObsiWan
09-16-2009, 02:07 PM
can he be a return man?

gwallaia
09-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Quick 6 is a small quick back. 5'9" in the 175-185 range. Think Warrick Dunn.

Too small for an every down back but has good bursts of speeds, catches well out of the backfield and can return kicks and punts.

Vinny
09-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Quick 6 is a small quick back. 5'9" in the 175-185 range. Think Warrick Dunn.

Too small for an every down back but has good bursts of speeds, catches well out of the backfield and can return kicks and punts.

kinda reminds me of the Chargers Sproles.

ObsiWan
09-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Guess since the O-line can only open crack-sized holes they had to sign someone small enough to fit thru them and fast enough to get to them before the close up.

hookinreds
09-16-2009, 02:22 PM

That was my exact thought as well.

Kaiser Toro
09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I am all for local guys making good, however, the value in the timing of this signing is purely PR in my opinion.

bah007
09-16-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't think this is a RB signing. Just my opinion, but I think this is a bye bye Jacoby signing if Alridge proves he can play.

Thorn
09-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Any players that have any real worth to them are on a team already, not being signed to a practice squad this late. I don't put out a lot of hope for any of the "freebies" left unsigned this late. Anybody you get now that's worth something you'll have to trade for.

HOU-TEX
09-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Any players that have any real worth to them are on a team already, not being signed to a practice squad this late. I don't put out a lot of hope for any of the "freebies" left unsigned this late. Anybody you get now that's worth something you'll have to trade for.

I can agree with this. Although, I think Alridge might have the "potential to be a contributer to this team. I think the dude was injured last year too. Some little dudes have the body to withstand the pounding (Sproles) more than other little dudes.

That said, I hope Buster can find a job in the league. The first day of camp I thought he was camp fodder for sure, but he impressed the heck out of me as camp progressed. Good luck to ya, Buster.

m5kwatts
09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Maybe Andre's concussion or near concussion has them worried about returns... although I don't think he'll be added to the roster anytime soon

gwallaia
09-16-2009, 02:36 PM
He signed on with Denver last season as UFA, was doing well in camp until his tore a ligament in his foot if I recall correctly. The injury sidelined him for the year. He was cut by Denver and picked up by Washington but did not make the roster.

We'll see what ends up back home in Houston.

HOU-TEX
09-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Maybe Andre's concussion or near concussion has them worried about returns... although I don't think he'll be added to the roster anytime soon

I'd think Jenkins would be their first choice to activate if that were the case. Or Martinez, who's already on the roster. Who knows?

JDizzle
09-16-2009, 02:46 PM
I am all for local guys making good, however, the value in the timing of this signing is purely PR in my opinion.

I'm not sure how much of a presence UH has in the Texans fan base but I've always assumed that Longhorns and Aggies made up most of it, as evidenced by the 2006 draft. I think that has very little, if any, to do with the signing.

What is interesting though is that this comes the day after Walter's return to the lineup. Jacoby Jones hasn't done much this year, other than perform well against guys who aren't in the nfl anymore, and fair catch a few punts. So this leads me to believe he's here for if or when Jacoby gets moved. But I could be wrong.

Kaiser Toro
09-16-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure how much of a presence UH has in the Texans fan base but I've always assumed that Longhorns and Aggies made up most of it, as evidenced by the 2006 draft. I think that has very little, if any, to do with the signing.

What is interesting though is that this comes the day after Walter's return to the lineup. Jacoby Jones hasn't done much this year, other than perform well against guys who aren't in the nfl anymore, and fair catch a few punts. So this leads me to believe he's here for if or when Jacoby gets moved. But I could be wrong.

UH just had one of the biggest wins in its history on Saturday, and the next day the Texans had one of the biggest losses in its history. Signing a UH player to the PS gets the local media to write things other than the debacle that just happened.

Jacoby was simply being Jacoby, the coaches/GM should already know what they don't have in him.

Runner
09-16-2009, 03:21 PM
UH just had one of the biggest wins in its history on Saturday, and the next day the Texans had one of the biggest losses in its history. Signing a UH player to the PS gets the local media to write things other than the debacle that just happened.

That seems rather cynical. It appears to imply the Texans are PR driven.

GP
09-16-2009, 03:22 PM

I was just about to say that.

I drafted Sproles in my FFL this year. He's going to end up being their back.

Maybe AA can help us out.

JDizzle
09-16-2009, 03:25 PM

It would take more than a practice squad signing to divert any attention away from that even if it's a UH player. Only mention I have heard of it on local media is a brief comment by Matt Jackson on 610, but he's an alum so that doesn't surprise me. Pretty far-fetched imo.

Goldensilence
09-16-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't think too far fetched that this might be some sort of PR move. I'm just left wondering where he would stand in the mix at RB considering Foster is already on the PS.

The only thing I can think of is the possiblity of him helping on ST in the return game.

Also puzzling considering we don't need help at RB....we desperately need seconday help at safety.

Vinny
09-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't think too far fetched that this might be some sort of PR move. You mean this isn't a Marketing team with a football division?

valleytexfan
09-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Is this the same guy that "holla'd" at the Houston Texans during that game on ESPN?

Carr Bombed
09-16-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with "PR". We're talking about a P.S. player here.......I mean how many snaps is he going to get? I seriously doubt people are rushing to buy tickets today, because we picked up a UofH practice squad player who has 0 nfl stats in his career and unless alot of things go bad, he most likely won't even play.

I think this has more to do with Alridge being a former Bronco, you know...where Kubiak knew and could call tons of people who had access to Aldrige and find out what kind of person/player he really is......being from UofH is just a coincidence. If this team cared about "PR" when making personel decisions, Mario would not be playing here.

gwallaia
09-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Is this the same guy that "holla'd" at the Houston Texans during that game on ESPN?

Yep, he's the one.

nero THE zero
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
How would signing a player to the practice squad sell tickets?

Drafting Vince Young would have sold tickets and merch (in the short term at least.) The jersey themed home games sells merch. Adding a local player to the P.S. is negligible at best, IMO.

And that's before addressing the possibility of Smith and Kubiak being connected or influenced by the marketing department which is pretty far fetched, IMO.

JDizzle
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
I think this has more to do with Alridge being a former Bronco, you know...where Kubiak knew and could call tons of people who had access to Aldrige and find out what kind of person/player he really is......being from UofH is just a coincidence. If this team cared about "PR" when making personel decisions, Mario would not be playing here.

In this instance I agree however I do believe the Texans put too much value on PR when it comes to signing players. I don't think they would ever sign anyone with questionable behavior regardless of how good the player is.

Malloy
09-16-2009, 04:20 PM

But DRIVEN, let's focus on that! :)

ArlingtonTexan
09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Not sure about the Texans and PR move. If anything, it seems like they have taken lesser "names" when given the chance. I mean there are what two/three players from Texas colleges on our roster? Funny, there plenty AA fans a couple of weeks ago, now signing him to practice squad is simply a PR move. Sometimes I wonder why people can't just take things on face value until there is evidence otherwise.

JB
09-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Not sure about the Texans and PR move. If anything, it seems like they have taken lesser "names" when given the chance. I mean there are what two/three players from Texas colleges on our roster? Funny, there plenty AA fans a couple of weeks ago, now signing him to practice squad is simply a PR move. Sometimes I wonder why people can't just take things on face value until there is evidence otherwise.

me too!

steelbtexan
09-16-2009, 04:31 PM

A McNair organization would never be PR driven.

Cant find the sarcasm thingy.

Why do you think Kubes was hired?

Kubes being a local guy that could be hired on the cheap had nothing to do with it.

Yeah right

PR and money is what the McNair organization is all about.

If the team happens to win that's a bonus.

TheRealJoker
09-16-2009, 04:55 PM
This could be a sign that we are trying to trade Jacoby to strengthen a position of need (safety?). AA could return if needed and they probably just want to get him in the system without sacrificing a roster spot until they can move Jacoby. If they cant trade Jacoby then they didn't have to cut anyone on the active roster to make room for Aldridge.

Sucks for Buster Davis :(

Texan_Bill
09-16-2009, 04:57 PM
can he be a return man?

Can he???

Maybe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQrNJhqhRs

:smiliedance:

Carr Bombed
09-16-2009, 04:59 PM

Kubes being a local guy that could be hired on the cheap had nothing to do with it.

Yeah right

Give me a break.....:rolleyes:

Like Kubiak's reputation for coaching up QBs (when McNair was trying to save his #1 QB in a last ditch effort) and his more than qualified offensive coordinator resume had nothing to do with him being hired. Gary Kubiak worked hard for his shot at a head coach position and if he fails this year, it still doesn't change the fact that he deserved a shot at being a head coach.

Nothing this team has done has said "all they care about is PR and money". McNair has spared no expense at trying to make this team a winner, sadly he's just made some poor decisions along the way and put trust into the wrong people along the way.

Carr Bombed
09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
I do believe the Texans put too much value on PR when it comes to signing players. I don't think they would ever sign anyone with questionable behavior regardless of how good the player is.

That doesn't really have much to do with PR and it has more to do with them not liking low character guys.......in today's NFL alot of teams pass on players with low character. Goodell is sending a message that he doesn't want those kind of players damaging his shield, so alot of teams don't even risk the punishment from the league office....so that's more of a league wide thing.

Texan_Bill
09-16-2009, 05:03 PM

Yeah right

Steelb,

If it truly was about PR and saving a nickel, Kubes would've been hired in 2002 when he interviewed then.

badboy
09-16-2009, 05:06 PM
can he be a return man?See link
http://www.nfltouchdown.com/tag/anthony-alridge/
and http://broncotalk.net/2008/04/1389/broncos-buzz/denver-broncos-sign-undrafted-rookie-rb-alridge/

4.30 forty and I like him a lot. Hard at that size in NFL but others have done it.

gary
09-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Here are my thoughts on Anthony Alrige. Wether he works out or not the Texans are not going to loose much they'll only gain if he plays well. This move shows that there might be some worry about the running game. Slaton has not shown much so for so no one knows if he'll return to the level he played at last season part of that is the fault of the OL. Maybe he'll just be added if Jones is moved and help out in the return game. A PR move is also a thought that comes to mind but I doubt that. Alridge showed flashs at U of H he is somewhat small but quick as lightning and he has game in him when he is healthy. He must get over some injuries that he suffered early on in career.

Goldensilence
09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
That doesn't really have much to do with PR and it has more to do with them not liking low character guys.......in today's NFL alot of teams pass on players with low character. Goodell is sending a message that he doesn't want those kind of players damaging his shield, so alot of teams don't even risk the punishment from the league office....so that's more of a league wide thing.

I kind of disagree. Yeah I do think Goodell is trying to crack down on bad off the field(and on field too) behavior league wide.

I just think the Texans are somewhat above and beyond that. They won't take a risk on a guy who has had a questionable background. I remember being pretty excited about the team signing Brandon Walker UDFA from OU and thinking he could come here and really help this line out. Then he gets cited for possible drunk driving charges and never heard about him again.

Kicker is you're excused if you're already on the team.

Do I think it's solely a PR move? I don't think so but, at the saem time I think it has some legs considering the team getting blasted Sunday and UH getting a big win. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm jsut trying to figure out what he brings to the squad overall considering Foster is already on the PS and I'm not sure AA's size will hold up over the course of a season.

People are bringing up JJ. but the only guy I know of who has confirmed interest in at least one place around the league is DA. Perhaps Denver is interested in working something out higher then the 7th we invested.

If we're wanting to look at him for WR why keep Martinez on the roster then? Either way it's not that I hate AA. I'm just puzzled by the move considering our need for help at Safety.

LonerATO
09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Maybe they are looking to move JJ into the 3rd WR spot due to AD injury and using AA as the returner

HTown2ATX
09-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Sproles part duex. Love it!

gary
09-16-2009, 05:57 PM
I met Anthony at the Shrine Game back in 2008 and he told me he was going to score a TD for me in the game then talk to me on camera and he did. In the Youtube film he is talking to me not the HC. We're friends now and e-mail each other often back and fourth. I'm glad he is in Houston now and wish him the best. He also told me he only wanted to be a Texan at the time I told him I'd put in a good word for because he might have a good fit here at the time now he has his chance to shine here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYkRyf4siLs

gwallaia
09-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Watch him at about the 40 yard line on this replay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff7fS06deQ&feature=related

michaelm
09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Maybe this is a move to get AA on the scout team. Is he similar in style to any of the RBs that we'll face in the coming weeks? We don't have anyone like him on the scout team now, so maybe he will emulate certain running backs that we'll face down the line?
Dunno, just a thought...

JCTexan
09-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Maybe this is a move to get AA on the scout team. Is he similar in style to any of the RBs that we'll face in the coming weeks? We don't have anyone like him on the scout team now, so maybe he will emulate certain running backs that we'll face down the line?
Dunno, just a thought...

Is he similar to Chris Johnson?

TheRealJoker
09-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Dunno, just a thought...

He can certainly help the D get used to the speed of a back like Chris Johnson.

brakos82
09-16-2009, 06:09 PM

Jones-Drew seems like a good fit.

Texan_Bill
09-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Jones-Drew seems like a good fit.

+ about 30 lbs.

Alridge is about 5'-9" and barely 180lbs. - if that.

RagingBull
09-16-2009, 06:12 PM
I saw this guy last year during Broncos preseason (I had season tix), and he looked awesome until he got hurt. There was a lot of people that thought he might be able to become the starting back and were calling him Terrell Davis jr and stuff. Then he broke his leg (I think) and went on IR and McD fired him before preseason. Could be a good pickup if his leg got back to 100%.

Texan_Bill
09-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Go to his player page here: Anthony Alridge (http://www.nfl.com/players/anthonyalridge/profile?id=ALR296636). Hit the play button on the highlights (it's him with Denver against us)

texanhead08
09-16-2009, 06:17 PM

He is similar in speed is about all.

gary
09-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Go to his player page here: Anthony Alridge (http://www.nfl.com/players/anthonyalridge/profile?id=ALR296636). Hit the play button on the highlights (it's him with Denver against us)He has the tools if healthy.

TimeKiller
09-16-2009, 06:24 PM
If this is a move to get Jacoby out I think they need to give him one more shot on the field. Do or die. They spent a 3rd on him and if as much leash as they'll ever give is PR I call that a blown pick.

How are Aldriges' hands?

76Texan
09-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I met Anthony at the Shrine Game back in 2008 and he told me he was going to score a TD for me in the game then talk to me on camera and he did. In the Youtube film he is talking to me not the HC. We're friends now and e-mail each other often back and fourth. I'm glad he is in Houston now and wish him the best. He also told me he only wanted to be a Texan at the time I told him I'd put in a good word for because he might have a good fit here at the time now he has his chance to shine here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYkRyf4siLs

Ya know I love AA, Gary!
But he does fumble the ball when he gets hit hard, even though he can certainly run between the tackles.
He doesn't have problem handling the ball. It's just that he's too small.

If we're going to use him, I can only feel comfortable running plays that provide him a good chance to go near the sideline. Same thing on punt and kick returns.

He was a receiver that the Cougars converted to RB (since they didn't have a good one at the time but they had a lot of good receivers) so there are many ways to use him.

Best is to use him as a decoy like Reggie Bush! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
But really, if they can use him properly, he might help in certain situations!
Let's say when you need a long one at the end of the half or when you're behind, that's where you don't have to worry about the risks.

GNTLEWOLF
09-16-2009, 08:25 PM
After having read this post, I still want to know..."Why?"

gary
09-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Ya know I love AA, Gary!
But he does fumble the ball when he gets hit hard, even though he can certainly run between the tackles.
He doesn't have problem handling the ball. It's just that he's too small.

If we're going to use him, I can only feel comfortable running plays that provide him a good chance to go near the sideline. Same thing on punt and kick returns.

He was a receiver that the Cougars converted to RB (since they didn't have a good one at the time but they had a lot of good receivers) so there are many ways to use him.

Best is to use him as a decoy like Reggie Bush! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
But really, if they can use him properly, he might help in certain situations!
Let's say when you need a long one at the end of the half or when you're behind, that's where you don't have to worry about the risks.I understand this and I am not saying he is going to come in here and be God. Our RB has not come back to his 2008 form yet. He is low risk high reword type of guy on the PS if he does not work out then set him free but I say give him a shot.

76Texan
09-16-2009, 09:50 PM
After having read this post, I still want to know..."Why?"

Because he's a playmaker and he comes very inexpensive!

Let's say for some reason, if Slaton is down and we're at the 4 yd line and they stuff the LOS. The blocking by our O-line and Chris Brown would be hard-pressed to take it in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMIo5nbUz0c&feature=related
All he needs is a decent block by either the RT or the TE (whoever lines up outside) and a decent block by a big receiver like AJ for example.
Even if there's a safety back there, he would have better chance to get the goal line than Chris Brown.
He might even have a better chance than Slaton with that quickness and speed.
The chance of a fumble here is quite low.

There are other examples, I'll see if I can find them.

76Texan
09-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Watch him at about the 40 yard line on this replay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff7fS06deQ&feature=related

This play is low risk as well.

76Texan
09-16-2009, 10:03 PM
And do you think a LB can stay with him on this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5duOATfuKQ&feature=related

Imagine AJ as the WR that took both the CB and safety away!
Notice that the defense is in nickel.
On the other side, there are two receivers with 3 defenders on them.

76Texan
09-16-2009, 10:06 PM
This one is also low risk.
He's too fast for any guy to get ready to put a lick on him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs7HUBL4Q5s&feature=related

76Texan
09-16-2009, 10:10 PM
And save this play for a rainy day.
Alridge to AJ somewhere near the redzone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAmMhnM56KQ&feature=related

mexican_texan
09-17-2009, 01:13 AM
So far, I've asked for Mark Parson and Anthony Aldridge. 2 for 2.

Carr Bombed
09-17-2009, 02:43 AM
So far, I've asked for Mark Parson and Anthony Aldridge. 2 for 2.

Can you please ask for a winning season, since everything else is rolling your way? :cool:

CloakNNNdagger
09-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Because he's a playmaker and he comes very inexpensive!

Let's say for some reason, if Slaton is down and we're at the 4 yd line and they stuff the LOS. The blocking by our O-line and Chris Brown would be hard-pressed to take it in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMIo5nbUz0c&feature=related
All he needs is a decent block by either the RT or the TE (whoever lines up outside) and a decent block by a big receiver like AJ for example.
Even if there's a safety back there, he would have better chance to get the goal line than Chris Brown.
He might even have a better chance than Slaton with that quickness and speed.
The chance of a fumble here is quite low.
There are other examples, I'll see if I can find them.

His use in the running game could probably only be used in more selected situations, since as a pass blocker, I would think he would resemble a bowling pin.

76Texan
09-17-2009, 10:52 AM
His use in the running game could probably only be used in more selected situations, since as a pass blocker, I would think he would resemble a bowling pin.

Pass block? Probably not! Maybe once or twice a game. Rubbing off a lineman on the way out or a cut block, that's about it!

Against the 3-4, sending him out into the flat, even only as decoy, would serve the same purpose as blocking when we're in a single back formation.
The OLB will just have to follow him!

3-4 carries a game, perhaps a reverse once in a while.
Throw to him 2-3 times a game, either out of the backfield or as a receiver.
Use him as a decoy a 2-3 times.
Use him as a returner here and there, depending on game situation.

He can be the emergency RB, slot receiver, and kick returner.
With A.D.'s being day-to-day with a concussion, you never know if he may get activated. (I doubt it, but then again...)

beerlover
09-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Texans going to run the "Cougar" formation?

I don't think the Jets "Seminole" formation went unnoticed :ant:

badboy
09-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Pass block? Probably not! Maybe once or twice a game. Rubbing off a lineman on the way out or a cut block, that's about it!

Against the 3-4, sending him out into the flat, even only as decoy, would serve the same purpose as blocking when we're in a single back formation.
The OLB will just have to follow him!

3-4 carries a game, perhaps a reverse once in a while.
Throw to him 2-3 times a game, either out of the backfield or as a receiver.
Use him as a decoy a 2-3 times.
Use him as a returner here and there, depending on game situation.

He can be the emergency RB, slot receiver, and kick returner.
With A.D.'s being day-to-day with a concussion, you never know if he may get activated. (I doubt it, but then again...)Since our blocking seems to consist of getting close to an opponent and yelling "boogada, boogada" AA should do very well.

76Texan
09-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Texans going to run the "Cougar" formation?

I don't think the Jets "Seminole" formation went unnoticed :ant:

You know Art Briles is a very innovatice coach.
I really wish Kubiak would take the time to solicit opinions from more college coaches to see if there's anything he can incorporate into the current scheme.

76Texan
09-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Since our blocking seems to consist of getting close to an opponent and yelling "boogada, boogada" AA should do very well.

There's one play which I like as Shanahan utilize the quickness of our O-linemen in open space.

Aound the 3-min mark before halftime, they set up a screen pass to A.D. to the right flat.
Slaton faked a run up the middle.

Three awesome blocks by Brisiel, Winston, and Myers went to waste simply because O.D. missed a block badly on Sheppard. So you're right, O.D. needs to stop the boogada chorus and go to work.

That one had a good chance for a TD.
And if it was Alridge, a quick six is extremely likely, I'd say!

sakebomb
09-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Not sure if this has been posted but a co-worker of mine who is a huge
Redskins fan said he was cut do to fumbling problems. Hopefully they can fix this problem.

BigBull17
09-17-2009, 03:50 PM
If this is a move to get Jacoby out I think they need to give him one more shot on the field. Do or die. They spent a 3rd on him and if as much leash as they'll ever give is PR I call that a blown pick.

How are Aldriges' hands?

Nah. I'm tired of wasting pt for people because you keep trying to justify a draft pick. He has done nothing, so why not try and fix the problem. three years

ArlingtonTexan
09-17-2009, 11:59 PM
well, if it is conspiracy it is not so much because he is local.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5579

(on RB Anthony Alridge) "Very fast. Small, fast. But he's given us a good look because of the back that they have that's so fast, so it's nice to have him here this week to help simulate that type of speed. Nice young man, just getting to know him myself."

steelbtexan
09-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Steelb,

If it truly was about PR and saving a nickel, Kubes would've been hired in 2002 when he interviewed then.

TB I have to disagree

1.McNair was new and he gave Casserly total control. McNair knew that the first coach with an expansion franchise always gets fired after 4-5 years.

McNair knew he didn't need the PR back when the franchise was formed because Houston was a football hungry town.

2. After the CC debacle the fans were turning on McNair and the milk from the cash cow was about to dry up. Hence the hiring of the hometown boy done good (Kubes). After 3 years of Smithiak the team has improved (after CC it would be hard not to) Smithiak are saying the Texans are a playoff team. After week one this team is looking more like the team CC told the fans they were playoff caliber. The CC team that finished 2-14.

The fans see an uninspired team that got phsically kicked in the mouth by the Jets and seemed to quit. The fans are getting restless and rightfully so. IMO If Kubes has a losing record this year I predict the PR guy that McNair is will force Kubes to be fired.

A new coach with a SB win on his resume will be hired (there are 5-6 of them available) This will buy the McNair PR team more time. It will keep the cash cow alive and the milk (money) will keep on flwing.

I believe McNair is about

Making money first and if the team happens to win that makes it even better. Eight years and not even a winning record speaks volumes to me.

JMHO

Carr Bombed
09-18-2009, 01:18 AM
TB I have to disagree

1.McNair was new and he gave Casserly total control. McNair knew that the first coach with an expansion franchise always gets fired after 4-5 years.

McNair knew he didn't need the PR back when the franchise was formed because Houston was a football hungry town.

McNair didn't really know crap about the NFL when he started out day 1, (he pretty much admitted that) so how is he going to know he was going to need to fire his coach automatically after 4-5 years? Also this goes against your argument, because if McNair didn't give a crap about what his team did the first couple of years....like you're trying to argue (remember like you say, he didn't need "PR") He would've just hired the first guy who came along and wouldn't have turned down Kubiak in the first place....

Nope....seems to me, McNair thought his team needed to have a better chance at winning early on (and not just bank on a Honeymoon period) and went with the more experienced Capers (about the only experienced coach who would be willing to take on a expansion project...so your point there doesn't even make sense.

2. After the CC debacle the fans were turning on McNair and the milk from the cash cow was about to dry up. Hence the hiring of the hometown boy done good (Kubes).

"Hometown boy done good", give me a break :rolleyes: you act like Kubiak wasn't a HOT up and coming coach that was on MANY people's radar. I remember reading MULTIPLE articles about him long before we even hired him...and at the time he fit what we were trying to fix...A broke QB. I believe Dan Reeves might've had something to say on the matter as well.

Kubiak wasn't just some good 'ol boy who didn't deserve a damn job....NOBODY questioned the hire and if we didn't hire him, someone else would have.

Making money first and if the team happens to win that makes it even better. Eight years and not even a winning record speaks volumes to me.

JMHO

Biggest misconception of all...

If all McNair cared about was money he would've drafted the "Cash Cow" Vince Young... Young would still be selling jerseys here, because he's invinceable :rolleyes: (and there's plenty of idiots in this town that would still be sucking all that crap up)

and if it wasn't Young it would've been Bush. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that McNair put his wallet aside and chose the player who wouldn't greatly increase his bank account (Young) and wouldn't give his team national commercial exposure (Bush), instead he PUT THE TEAM FIRST AND CHOSE THE BEST OPTION FOR THE TEAM, which was Mario Williams..despite everybody and their mother calling him a moron.

NitroGSXR
09-18-2009, 01:19 AM
TB I have to disagree

2. After the CC debacle the fans were turning on McNair and the milk from the cash cow was about to dry up. Hence the hiring of the hometown boy done good (Kubes). After 3 years of Smithiak the team has improved (after CC it would be hard not to) Smithiak are saying the Texans are a playoff team. After week one this team is looking more like the team CC told the fans they were playoff caliber. The CC team that finished 2-14.

The fans see an uninspired team that got phsically kicked in the mouth by the Jets and seemed to quit. The fans are getting restless and rightfully so. IMO If Kubes has a losing record this year I predict the PR guy that McNair is will force Kubes to be fired.

A new coach with a SB win on his resume will be hired (there are 5-6 of them available) This will buy the McNair PR team more time. It will keep the cash cow alive and the milk (money) will keep on flwing.

JMHO

Then McNair isn't a good businessman. Playoff teams are raking it in hand over fist. So much money to be made on the road to the Super Bowl.

Carr Bombed
09-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Then McNair isn't a good businessman. Playoff teams are raking it in hand over fist. So much money to be made on the road to the Super Bowl.

And this is why it's stupid to think McNair isn't trying to win or doesn't have the team's best interest at heart. :rolleyes: There probably isn't a soul in this city who wants to him more than Mr. McNair, sadly he has a couple of character flaws......he's too damn loyal and passive. (He should've never let Kubiak hire his own G.M. it's just a conflict of interest) But if Kubiak and his cronies don't turn it around this week and win atleast 9 games, they're gone. Hell, winning 9 games might not even save them....it should be playoffs or bust.

GNTLEWOLF
09-18-2009, 02:03 AM
And this is why it's stupid to think McNair isn't trying to win or doesn't have the team's best interest at heart. :rolleyes: There probably isn't a soul in this city who wants to him more than Mr. McNair, sadly he has a couple of character flaws......he's too damn loyal and passive. (He should've never let Kubiak hire his own G.M. it's just a conflict of interest) But if Kubiak and his cronies don't turn it around this week and win atleast 9 games, they're gone. Hell, winning 9 games might not even save them....it should be playoffs or bust.

That is the way it should be, but unfortunately I believe that this team would have to do a monumental nose dive in the scale of Capers' last year in order for McNair to look elsewhere.

Carr Bombed
09-18-2009, 02:16 AM
[/B]

That is the way it should be, but unfortunately I believe that this team would have to do a monumental nose dive in the scale of Capers' last year in order for McNair to look elsewhere.

I don't know.....I remember reading before the season that McNair "expected" the team to go to the playoffs and anything short, he'd be extremely disappointed. He did give Capers 4 years......just happens to be the same year Kubiak is in also.

Anybody remember Capers first 3 seasons?

1st year....4-12

2nd year....5-11

3rd year....7-9

improvement each year.

and then everybody (including the media) expected them to turn the corner and they fell on their face and went 2-14

While Kubiak has done slightly better (although with way more talent) and has only had one losing season (still no winning seasons though), so far it's looking awfully similar. Each time this team faces real expectations, they wilt in the heat. Definition of softness.

mexican_texan
09-18-2009, 03:16 AM
Can you please ask for a winning season, since everything else is rolling your way? :cool:
Hmm....I dig the loveable loser title, but sure. Mark Parson, Anthony Aldridge, and magical playoff run.