PDA

View Full Version : HC possibilities - Cowher is the current flavor

Pages : [1] 2 3

Silver Oak
09-14-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm not in the group that wants Kubiak out, but if the season spirals downward from yesterday, then I will be in that group soon.

That said, I thought we could throw some names out that could be available at seasons end.

Jon Gruden

Pantherstang84
09-14-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm not in the group that wants Kubiak out, but if the season spirals downward from yesterday, then I will be in that group soon.

That said, I thought we could throw some names out that could be available at seasons end.

Jon Gruden

I've always liked Gruden. He runs the same offense pretty much. I wonder who he would bring in as D Coordinator?

Marcus
09-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Boy, you know the season has already gone into the sh!tter when you see threads like this pop up.

Ugh.

IlliniJen
09-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I like Gruden.

I like Cowher too, but folks keep saying he would never come to Houston. I don't know what they have to back this statement up, so if anyone could education me, please do.

Shanny is a possibility that does NOT set my panties on fire. More of the same, IMHO.

brakos82
09-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Mike Holmgren?

Tony Dungy?

Wolf
09-14-2009, 08:06 PM
hell might as well throw Dan Reeves in the mix

:chickendance:

m5kwatts
09-14-2009, 08:07 PM
How about Gary just coaches better? I'd say taking back play-calling duties would be a good start.

Marcus
09-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Richard Justice.:drive:

jaayteetx
09-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Bum Phillips:fans:

awtysst
09-14-2009, 08:26 PM
awtysst would make a great head coach!

CoastalTexan
09-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Ron Rivera???

Silver Oak
09-14-2009, 08:32 PM
I was also going to throw Charlie Weiss out there, but defensively, I don't know what he would bring.

cdastros
09-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Sean McDermott

He coaches the eagles D and will be a hot commodity at the end of the year.

CoastalTexan
09-14-2009, 08:54 PM
I dont know about the Eagles DC, he's very young and just got the DC job this year, taking over from a legend.

Double Barrel
09-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Boy, you know the season has already gone into the sh!tter when you see threads like this pop up.

Ugh.

:um: wait a minute...

I see what you did there. Weren't you the one that started the Fire Kubiak thread during the game yesterday? :hmmm:

Goatcheese
09-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Richard Smith for Head Coach! The campaign starts here!!!!

TexanSam
09-14-2009, 09:20 PM
I like Cowher too, but folks keep saying he would never come to Houston. I don't know what they have to back this statement up, so if anyone could education me, please do.

Me too, please. Bill Cowher likes having full control and Bob McNair is not really a hand on owner. At least we'd have that going for us if the season goes really, really downhill...

rollinstone18
09-14-2009, 09:26 PM
seriously? guys, we're one game into the season.

brakos82
09-14-2009, 09:29 PM
seriously? guys, we're one game into the season.
Tell that to the "1st overall pick in 2010" thread. LOL

DiehardChris
09-14-2009, 09:31 PM
I like Gruden.

Shanny is a possibility that does NOT set my panties on fire. More of the same, IMHO.

I think Gruden is overrated. His players hated him in Tampa, in not in that good way.

If Bill Cowher wanted to be coaching, he'd be coaching. You think the availability of the Texans job is going to pull him out of retirement? Not a chance. There are potentially going to be WAY more attractive jobs (for Cowher) than Houston at the end of this season.

Carolina - where he's from and where most people think he's just waiting for them to fire the current HC.
Dallas - huge piles of money, high profile job - and if you think he won't put up with the Billionaire Hillbilly Jerrah Jones, don't forget that Parcells put up with him.
Redskins - high profile, owner is insane with money and will spend it without question, great division, rich history.
Vikings - great O-line and D-line already in place, perhaps the best RB of our generation already in place, decent amount of history.

Look at all those jobs that might be available, and ask yourself why Bill Cowher would consider the Texans?

WWJD
I like Gruden.

I think Bill has kids in high school (one of the Carolinas) and wants to stay close to them so that's the reason it's reported he wouldn't be interested in a job here.

Now if the Panthers job came open I bet he would listen.

Hookem Horns
Kevin Gilbride. He has been great for the Giants. Rob Ryan would be great as his DC.

Silver Oak
09-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Kevin Gilbride. He has been great for the Giants. Rob Ryan would be great as his DC.

got to be a former Oiler fan to truly appreciate that pairing.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Yesterday's game was just plain awful and I know it is very hard to swallow with loss that said.

I'd been enjoying reading and discussing with your guys on this web site and just hate to see negative vibes from game 1. We still got 15 more regular season games and you never know what is going to happen at the end.
Who knows, we may end up with winning record.

So, why don't we just wait till this season is over?

Let us look forward to the next game against Titans!

GO TEXANS!!:fans:

HTown2ATX
09-14-2009, 09:55 PM
I think Gruden is overrated. His players hated him in Tampa, in not in that good way.

If Bill Cowher wanted to be coaching, he'd be coaching. You think the availability of the Texans job is going to pull him out of retirement? Not a chance. There are potentially going to be WAY more attractive jobs (for Cowher) than Houston at the end of this season.

Carolina - where he's from and where most people think he's just waiting for them to fire the current HC.
Dallas - huge piles of money, high profile job - and if you think he won't put up with the Billionaire Hillbilly Jerrah Jones, don't forget that Parcells put up with him.
Redskins - high profile, owner is insane with money and will spend it without question, great division, rich history.
Vikings - great O-line and D-line already in place, perhaps the best RB of our generation already in place, decent amount of history.

Look at all those jobs that might be available, and ask yourself why Bill Cowher would consider the Texans?

B/c Bob McNair has just as much money as most if not all those other owners and I bet if he had to blow it up.....AGAIN./......he'd go balls out and all in on this one and spend whatever he had too, and we all KNOW money is usually the bottom line and I have no doubt that would lure Cowher here.

Marcus
09-14-2009, 09:58 PM
:um: wait a minute...

I see what you did there. Weren't you the one that started the Fire Kubiak thread during the game yesterday? :hmmm:

Psssst. Hey DB, I'll let you in on a little secret if you promise not to tell anyone. I knew that a "Fire Kubiak" thread was going to be created soon anyway. But I didn't want new "Fire Kubiak" threads to pop up week in and week out, so I took the initiative and created an "All encompassing Fire Kubiak", so that there will be only one "Fire Kubiak" thread on this board for the entire season. Theoretically that is, provided that you moderators haven't forgotten what "all encompassing" means. We'll see how that works out. ;)

So, there are methods to my madness sometimes.

(But again . . . . . shhhhhhh . . . be bery bery quiet. Lucky might hear us talking. Shhhhhhhhh)

Double Barrel
09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
After giving it some thought, I honestly don't want to even stare down the abyss and contemplate a new HC. Not right now, not at this point. I remember when they fired Palmer two games into 2-14, and it was a feeling of freefall from that point on. I've just got a taste of a new football season and I'm already thinking about regime change scenarios? It's much too depressing.

I'm not predicting it by any means, but the possibility exists that they can do something in the next 15 games. I'm choosing at this moment to live in a perspective that maybe, through some mysterious cosmic force of football voodoo, they get the positive mojo and show us that are better than yesterday.

It's possible....maybe....:goodluck:

Kaiser Toro
09-14-2009, 10:13 PM
I would offer a run of the organization to Cowher and Fisher.

DiehardChris
09-14-2009, 10:26 PM
B/c Bob McNair has just as much money as most if not all those other owners and I bet if he had to blow it up.....AGAIN./......he'd go balls out and all in on this one and spend whatever he had too, and we all KNOW money is usually the bottom line and I have no doubt that would lure Cowher here.

If money was the motivating factor for Cowher, he would have been coaching already. He's waiting for the perfect situation, which will mean TONS of money, and a place he wants to go. All the Texans can provide is the money side of it.

Bill Cowher is not coming to Houston. Get it out of your heads, seriously. It's a pipe dream.

Second Honeymoon
09-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Cowher makes sense. We have yet to make a splash nationally and bringing Cowher in would give us a chance to reboot our franchise.

I think Jones has his eye on Shanahan as opposed to Cowher. Cowher looks destined for Carolina most likely but that doesn't mean you don't try and lure him here. Give him total control and give him an open checkbook to assemble a truly top notch coaching staff...then get out of the way.

Cowher would bring instant credibility and instanty accountability. His way or the highway. He wouldn't have put up with Dunta's act on Sunday. Gary should have sat Dunta's arse on the bench all Sunday once he saw the garbage he wrote on his shoe. What a juvenile little pr*ck. Your getting paid almost 10 million and you are saying 'Pay me, Rick' on your freaking shoes. Really? Oh man, that got my goat. They didn't let any of the people at the stadium know about the shoe and I don't know if the TV coverage showed it...but that was pathetic. Dunta needs to be traded yesterday for almost anything. his postgame interview almost made me throw up in my mouth. I used to love Dunta but he is a piece of dogcrap in my book now.

in addition, I feel Rick Smith may need to go sooner rather than later. The whole first name business makes me worry about his relationship with the players...then you have the whole collusion question with him and McNair....He may have crossed the friendship line and it may make him less effective.

Marcus
09-14-2009, 10:43 PM
If money was the motivating factor for Cowher, he would have been coaching already. He's waiting for the perfect situation, which will mean TONS of money, and a place he wants to go. All the Texans can provide is the money side of it.

Bill Cowher is not coming to Houston. Get it out of your heads, seriously. It's a pipe dream.

Spot on! All these big-name coaches have been there and done that with established teams. It would take a lot more than money, no matter how much that money might be, for them to consider coming out of retirement.

The Houston Texans???? Why would any of them want to coach the Houston freaking Texans? There is nothing to offer them besides a boatload of money. But they already have boatloads. There is nothing to offer them.

edo783
09-14-2009, 10:48 PM
What's all the complaining about? We are in second place and only one game out of first place. The Stros should be so lucky.

dickieb
09-14-2009, 11:13 PM
I think Rick Smith is ruthless and does not have a problem turning on Kubiak. In fact I'm not so sure he hasn't already.

Goatcheese
09-14-2009, 11:20 PM
I think Rick Smith is ruthless and does not have a problem turning on Kubiak. In fact I'm not so sure he hasn't already.

Rick Smith should be gone long before Kubes.

His drafts and free agency signings have been horrible.

JCTexan
09-14-2009, 11:39 PM

I don't know about that since Kubiak was here before Smith, and likely got him his job. They also worked together in Denver. If one gets fired they likely both will, since they've worked in the same scheme their entire careers, so I doubt they're turning on each other.

Dimitri_0515
09-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini?:winky:

SheTexan
09-15-2009, 12:00 AM
I watched Kubiak on the news tonight and the man appeared totally defeated. So did Matt Schaub. You can say all the right things, but, body language, tone of voice, expressions, tell an awful lot. Not focused at all, just FLAT. They need to get their sheeeeet together and PLAN for Tennessee, if that's possible. The Jets are history, march on!!

D____ I miss the old days when players weren't paid millions of bucks to have an inflated ego, and coaches were ruthless, mean, and relentless! I'm just gettin to old for this game. It's ceasing to be fun, and that's sad.

As for HC possibilities. BUM PHILLIPS!! J/K :fans:

brakos82
09-15-2009, 12:07 AM
As for HC possibilities. BUM PHILLIPS!! J/K :fans:

:thinking: Actually...

Okay, why do I keep on hitting Preview rather than Submit? :thinking:

notafaker
09-15-2009, 12:07 AM
I can't come up with some names but I wouldnt't mind if we brought the Run & Shoot offense and the 46defence back to Houston. Both being agressive style of play matches the city agressive style with a laid back atitude.

Goldensilence
09-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Would be great if they could lure Cowher here, just don't see it happening.

Not the biggest Gruden fan unless you want to collect QBs. He did very little to add to the team after Dungy left.

Mike Shannahan. No thanks.

Mike Holmgren, successful but does he have the fire some of the fans want? Not sure. Has a good history of developing QBs.

Am interested in seeing how Sean McDermott does with the Eagles defense after this year. Thought he should've been our next DC.

Guy I think though who has a good track record and credibility to turn the ship around, Marty Schottenheimer. I would love to see some Marty ball in Houston.

brakos82
09-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Mike Holmgren, successful but does he have the fire some of the fans want? Not sure. Has a good history of developing QBs.

He's seriously pissed anytime something goes remotely wrong. Their local TV station had a Mike-O-Meter, with a pic of his red face LOL

DiehardChris
09-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Would be great if they could lure Cowher here, just don't see it happening.

Not the biggest Gruden fan unless you want to collect QBs. He did very little to add to the team after Dungy left.

Mike Shannahan. No thanks.

Am interested in seeing how Sean McDermott does with the Eagles defense after this year. Thought he should've been our next DC.

Guy I think though who has a good track record and credibility to turn the ship around, Marty Schottenheimer. I would love to see some Marty ball in Houston.

For the record, I think it's completely ridiculous that we're even having this conversation after week 1 - but just in the context of this thread, I think Marty Schottenheimer is the most realistic name I've seen so far.

I would ABSOLUTELY HATE that hire, but it's more of a possibility than any of the others I've seen so far.

Ryan
09-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Marty Schottenheimer got his teams to the postseason. Didn't do so well when they got there, but they made it. That's a step up.

DiehardChris
09-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Marty Schottenheimer got his teams to the postseason. Didn't do so well when they got there, but they made it. That's a step up.

No doubt, but I'd still rather go in another direction.

Goldensilence
09-15-2009, 12:30 AM
For the record, I think it's completely ridiculous that we're even having this conversation after week 1 - but just in the context of this thread, I think Marty Schottenheimer is the most realistic name I've seen so far.

I would ABSOLUTELY HATE that hire, but it's more of a possibility than any of the others I've seen so far.

Just curious why? Lack of post season production?

I think it's a bit ridiculous but, at the same time I think warranted.

DiehardChris
09-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Just curious why? Lack of post season production?

I think it's a bit ridiculous but, at the same time I think warranted.

Just because you know what you're going to get with Marty. It's just my opinion, but I'd rather go with someone with more possible upside than a guy who has had success but has never been able to finish in the playoffs.

The Third Man
09-15-2009, 01:23 AM
I was also going to throw Charlie Weiss out there, but defensively, I don't know what he would bring.

His performance at Notre Dame leaves me less than enthused.

Silver Oak
09-15-2009, 07:13 AM
His performance at Notre Dame leaves me less than enthused.

that's why I held back. he may have been a product of Belichick's success and not have much to offer himself.

again, I want to keep Kubiak for now, but I just wanted to see what names folks could see coming here. FWIW...I'm less than enthused by the list to this point.

I see a very pissed team coming out this Sunday and then the Mods can delete this thread...at least for a week.

Goldensilence
09-15-2009, 08:59 AM
that's why I held back. he may have been a product of Belichick's success and not have much to offer himself.

again, I want to keep Kubiak for now, but I just wanted to see what names folks could see coming here. FWIW...I'm less than enthused by the list to this point.

I see a very pissed team coming out this Sunday and then the Mods can delete this thread...at least for a week.

Pretty much my thoughts on Weiss.

I'm pretty sure unless the next 4 games look like Sunday's Kubiak will be here the rest of the season. Which, he should be to try and look like an NFL headcoach one last time. I'm done though.

I'm not so sure we'll see one pissed team. I hope we do. But, looking at yesterday's press conferences I didn't see a coach trying to explain a loss, I saw a coach trying to explain what the hell hit his team. Unacceptable.

TimeKiller
09-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Cowher is the obvious choice but also a pie-in-the-sky. Mike Holmgren or Dungy would be perfect, especially Dungy. No thanks to Gruden or Papa Shanahan. Or Martyball.

Scouting out a new guy might work too...I mean it worked for the Steelers...

HoustonFrog
09-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Wildcard name that I like for some team in the future...

Mike Zimmer--He pretty much molded the Cowboys D for 7 years a few years back and they were very under rated. The gave up the fewest yards in 2003. He then went to Atlanta and left because of their coaching issues and has been at Cincy where they have started to turn it around on D. If you watched Hard Knocks he is a no-nonsense guy who brings tough love...while throwing in a few F bombs. He might be too experimental for here but I think he is the type guy needed.

nero THE zero
09-15-2009, 09:25 AM
I hate to give credence to this topic at this point in time, but that's not to say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

And, to feed my own curiosity; assuming Kubiak was fired, and assuming McNair lured Cowher here with enough cash, what would he do as defensive hires? I know he had LeBeau for a large portion of his tenure with the Steelers. Who else ran his defense while he was there? And have they been strictly a 3-4 team, or do I remember correctly that they ran a 4-3 when LeBeau wasn't there?

El Tejano
09-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Just because you know what you're going to get with Marty. It's just my opinion, but I'd rather go with someone with more possible upside than a guy who has had success but has never been able to finish in the playoffs.

Well, that could mean that he's meant for Houston. Perhaps that changes everything and he wins the Super Bowl with us. A negative times a negative equals a positive.

El Tejano
09-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Cowher is the obvious choice but also a pie-in-the-sky. Mike Holmgren or Dungy would be perfect, especially Dungy. No thanks to Gruden or Papa Shanahan. Or Martyball.

Scouting out a new guy might work too...I mean it worked for the Steelers...

As I said before. You gotta think that Dungy really considers it if we ask him.

eriadoc
09-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm coming late into the thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm not sure it matters, actually. Other teams take guys who have been coordinators for a while, and they have success. Other teams go from 1-15 to winning records in a single year or maybe two. Other teams manage to make their rookie QBs or old beat-down vets look good.

Our team took a head coach with HC experience and they suck. Our team took a very highly regarded coordinator who had paid his dues and has been to SIX Super Bowls as a player and coach, and they suck. Our team never makes a miraculous single season turnaround, unless you consider going from 7-9 to 2-14 a turnaround.

I'm not sure it matters who you take as HC.

eriadoc
09-15-2009, 11:04 AM

Too many fans here complaining about not enough get-in-your-face angry rah rah, and Dungy is way calmer than Kubiak.

HOU-TEX
09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Ed Biles..........:jogger: runs away

BigBull17
09-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Ron Rivera???

I could buy that.

WWJD
09-15-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking Coach Dungy said he was done with football and wants to be a mentor/counselor to young men from now on.

For what that's worth..so many retire and then "un" retire.

brakos82
09-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Ed Biles..........:jogger: runs away

Yeah you better run away. :pirate:

Give me the comedian Glanville over that id-iot. LOL

Mr. White
09-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't really have a candidate in mind either. That being said, the most realistic one mentioned in this thread seems like Mike Zimmer. We'd probably have to hire another coordinator because I don't see why any coach that's won Super Bowls would want to come here.

I'd like too see a guy come in that doesn't want to reinvent the wheel because it isn't his wheel.

MannyFresh
09-15-2009, 11:26 AM
I hate to give credence to this topic at this point in time, but that's not to say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

And, to feed my own curiosity; assuming Kubiak was fired, and assuming McNair lured Cowher here with enough cash, what would he do as defensive hires? I know he had LeBeau for a large portion of his tenure with the Steelers. Who else ran his defense while he was there? And have they been strictly a 3-4 team, or do I remember correctly that they ran a 4-3 when LeBeau wasn't there?

He could find some of LeBeau's understudies who gained experience and knowldege working with him....proven techniques with fresh ideas could make the D somewhat better....
I'm sure Cowher is would come back if the price is right....if not, Florida is only a 2 hour flight for Dungy....lot of colleges/prep schools, churches Dungy could continue to mentor and do what he does...

MannyFresh
09-15-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't really have a candidate in mind either. That being said, the most realistic one mentioned in this thread seems like Mike Zimmer. We'd probably have to hire another coordinator because I don't see why any coach that's won Super Bowls would want to come here.

I'd like too see a guy come in that doesn't want to reinvent the wheel because it isn't his wheel.

Yeah but our wheels have been spinning for years...so he can bring new wheels to get it going.

Goldensilence
09-15-2009, 12:35 PM

Why would Dungy really consider it?

HoustonFrog
09-15-2009, 12:36 PM

Another reason I brought up Zimmer is that he moved his way up with the Cowboys and though he was behind their 4-3 that kicked tail in the early 2000s, he also coached the 3-4 with no prior experience under Parcells. So the guy has a great football mind.

mussop
09-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Just throwing some names out there I havent seen mentioned.

How about someone closer to home. If you really want an in youre face guy Alex Gibbs isnt shy about calling players out. :lion:

Ray Rhodes Might be ready for another head job. :smooch:

Jimmy Johnson is from Port Arthur Could he be ready to return to coaching?

Mike Heimerdinger another offensive guru.

Jim Washburn considered one of the better DL coaches in the NFL.

I would love Cowher, , moderatly happy with Marty, not overly thrilled with Dungy and hate Chucky.

Goldensilence
09-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Just throwing some names out there I havent seen mentioned.

How about someone closer to home. If you really want an in youre face guy Alex Gibbs isnt shy about calling players out. :lion:

Ray Rhodes Might be ready for another head job. :smooch:

Jimmy Johnson is from Port Arthur Could he be ready to return to coaching?

Mike Heimerdinger another offensive guru.

Jim Washburn considered one of the better DL coaches in the NFL.

I would love Cowher, , moderatly happy with Marty, not overly thrilled with Dungy and hate Chucky.

Rhodes is out of the question for health reasons. I'd want to go out of staff.

Alex can do OL but, I'm not confident he would be a good HC candidate.

I think JJ is fine with his TV gig and probably won't return for any amount of money.

Don't see Dungy unretiring unless someone has heard rumors of him wanting to come back within the next year or two. Knowing Dungy's character I have a gut feeling he won't coach again after he's says he has no plans to coach again.

To be honest I want a guy that has a track record of doing things right. Though a lot of people might not be thrilled with Marty, I think he's the most realistic candidate who has a good record of turning programs around when given a genuine shot.

While we're talking about people coming out of retirement, why not Dick Vermeil.

Big Lou
09-16-2009, 12:07 AM
If everyone thinks it's bad now, just think what it would be like if Kubiak is fired.

The new HC will want a new QB, a bigger RB, one new OG, a C, possible a LT. That's just the Offense. Of course everything the Defense needs, it will still need, some DT's, at least one real shut down CB, 2 of those Safety guys that we've never seen, and possibly a DE other than Antonio or Conner.

That will take years..............

Although the love I had for our Offense has diminished in light of the problems against "Tough" Defenses, but Indy won a Superbowl with what I would call a finnese Offense, although they did have that #18 guy.

Yeh the Kool Aid is wearing off on me, although I haven't jumped ship yet, I'm just looking for a life jacket, but the thought of dumping Kubes means it will be another 4 years before we see any results. Don't go thinking you'll see one of those Atlanta, Baltimore, Miami type turn arounds, not gonna happen with this team.

TexansSeminole
09-16-2009, 01:48 AM
The top 2 guys right off the top of my head ar Marty and Ron Rivera.

GuerillaBlack
09-16-2009, 01:49 AM

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/Brutis8/1252796864582.gif

Dungy after being asked.

GP
09-16-2009, 07:51 AM
We need a Kanye West interrupting Gary Kubiak on the sideline pic, GuerillaBlack.

"Yo, Kube. I'm 'a let you finish, but Dom Capers..."

GuerillaBlack
09-16-2009, 07:55 PM
http://i31.tinypic.com/2lkbr82.jpg

Texan4Ever
09-16-2009, 07:58 PM
If we can get the Tuna to come here that would be great!

GuerillaBlack
09-16-2009, 08:03 PM
i'd lke the tuna here, but i doubt he lives miami.

HouSportsWriter
09-16-2009, 08:07 PM
http://i31.tinypic.com/2lkbr82.jpg

rep lol :spit:

Revolution
09-16-2009, 08:08 PM
rep lol :spit:

Agreed! Hilarious!! Major rep for GB!

HouSportsWriter
09-16-2009, 08:10 PM
slatonisabeast for head coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i will turn the team around and make thim learn the abds....

HouSportsWriter
09-16-2009, 08:12 PM
who can make me a picture saying 15 year olds can coach beter then kubes

ObsiWan
09-16-2009, 09:40 PM
no mention of Brian Billick?
name recognition - check
super bowl win on the resume' - check
able to gather a capable staff - check
available - check

why not?

Texans_Chick
09-16-2009, 09:50 PM
This thread should come with a barf bag.

Many of the options listed are very barfy. Or ancient. No offense, but they are.

mussop
09-16-2009, 11:01 PM
no mention of Brian Billick?
name recognition - check
super bowl win on the resume' - check
able to gather a capable staff - check
available - check

why not?

In his first season with the Ravens, Billick led the team to its first non-losing record (88) in the franchise's brief four-year history.
The next season, Baltimore finished with a 124 record and earned its first playoff berth. Prior to reaching the playoffs, Billick forbade his players from using either the term "playoffs" or the term "Super Bowl," with the idea of keeping them focused on winning each game instead of on their more distant prize. Billick felt this approach would help them reach that prize, and went so far as to fine Tony Siragusa for violating this rule. In response, the players borrowed the term "Festivus" from the television series Seinfeld for the playoffs, and the term Festivus Maximus for the Super Bowl. When they reached the playoffs, Billick lifted this ban. The Ravens took advantage of their vaunted defense, which allowed an NFL record-low 165 points in the regular season, during the playoffs to advance to and win Super Bowl XXXV.

Maybe thats what we need to do. I actually forgot about him. He would be as good as any of the others mentioned. Sign him up!:ant:

Playoffs
09-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Bill Cowher.

The guy who just left town had the right makeup for Houston.

ObsiWan
09-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Bill Cowher.

The guy who just left town had the right makeup for Houston.

If you mean the Ryan brother who just cleaned our clocks, you might be right.

ObsiWan
09-17-2009, 03:12 AM
This thread should come with a barf bag.

Many of the options listed are very barfy. Or ancient. No offense, but they are.

...and your recommendation waaas......???

Texans_Chick
09-17-2009, 06:21 AM
...and your recommendation waaas......???

I have none. Which makes it barfier.

I hope Kubiak gets his shiite together because a lot of the options that people are saying are meh, ain't gonna come here, or ancient. It's vomity to contemplate.

Thorn
09-17-2009, 06:35 AM

I hope Kubiak gets his shiite together because a lot of the options that people are saying are meh, ain't gonna come here, or ancient. It's vomity to contemplate.

I hope Kubiac gets his act together also. The thought of a new head coach and this team starting over AGAIN is just to awful to comtemplate.

Silver Oak
09-17-2009, 07:26 AM

which was the point of the thread. the grass ain't always greener on the other side.

Kaiser Toro
09-17-2009, 08:31 AM
If Parcells can go to the Cowboys, Belichick can jilt the Jets the day after he takes the job, and Pitino can go to the Louisville, then I have seen crazier/barfier situations.

Double Barrel
09-17-2009, 11:05 AM
which was the point of the thread. the grass ain't always greener on the other side.

And sometimes the grass is greener because it's on top of a septic tank.

Mr. White
09-17-2009, 11:17 AM

The grass hasn't even grown yet enough to make an evaluation on what color it is yet. We don't even know who the candidates are yet.

Here's what we know based on history:

1. McNair won't fire an HC during the season because he didn't do it to Capers.

2. NFL teams don't hire guys from the outside as interim coaches.

I'm sure you think it's too soon to be calling for Kubiak's head, but it's way too soon to be nominating replacements.

badboy
09-17-2009, 11:21 AM
awtysst would make a great head coach!
I thought everything was your fault anyway, so I agree and make it official. Got any free merchandize?

badboy
09-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Bill Cowher is not coming to Houston. Get it out of your heads, seriously. It's a pipe dream.There is no way Tracy McGrady will ever play for the Houston Rockets....now we can't get the guy out of Houston. What if Cowher was made a minority owner?

eriadoc
09-17-2009, 11:46 AM

I'll just repeat my earlier post:

I'm coming late into the thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm not sure it matters, actually. Other teams take guys who have been coordinators for a while, and they have success. Other teams go from 1-15 to winning records in a single year or maybe two. Other teams manage to make their rookie QBs or old beat-down vets look good.

Our team took a head coach with HC experience and they suck. Our team took a very highly regarded coordinator who had paid his dues and has been to SIX Super Bowls as a player and coach, and they suck. Our team never makes a miraculous single season turnaround, unless you consider going from 7-9 to 2-14 a turnaround.

I'm not sure it matters who you take as HC.

DerekLee1
10-12-2009, 11:45 PM
1. We have talent. AJ, Schaub, KW, OD, Slaton, Chris Brown on offense. For the 3-4 he loves so much, we have killer speed DE's in MARIO and Barwin, and great LB's with Ryans and Cushing. (NT is an admitted weakness in the 3-4, but that can be worked on)

2. The NY market is not going to open up any time soon with the Jets doing well with Rex Ryan and the Giants the (debatable) best team in football with Coughlin. No way does he consider Oakland on the west coast either.

3. Great facilities, great winter climate.

And why he WOULDN'T come to Houston...

The Dallas Cowboys will have a coaching vacancy in 2010.

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 11:51 PM
I posted this in the 2010 HC thread... why the Dallas Cowboys are not an attractive coaching vacancy (assuming Phillips is canned)

The only coaches who will be interested in the Cowboys job are desperate yes-men willing to to do any puppet dance Jerry asks them to do (see recently Wade Phillips). The players are pampered and know Jerry is in charge and the coach will always eventually be undermined by Jerry. No big name HC with rings on their fingers will want to go into a situation where there's a little ferret looking over the shoulders at all times ready to undercut their authority. The Cowboys are slowly becoming the Raiders part 2. And I have friends who are Cowboy fans who call Jerry, Al Davis Jr.

DerekLee1
10-12-2009, 11:57 PM
I still say Cowher is the only AVAILABLE (key word - AVAILABLE) coach that I would can Kubiak for. Kubiak, for all his failure, is SO CLOSE to having an elite team.

Jackie Chiles
10-13-2009, 12:31 AM
1. We have talent. AJ, Schaub, KW, OD, Slaton, Chris Brown on offense.

Which one doesn't belong?

brakos82
10-13-2009, 12:34 AM

I think he meant Kris with a K. :ahhaha:

painekiller
10-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Cowher is waiting for the one of 2 jobs, Carolina, Fox is on the hot seat, and the Redskin job. Cowher wants to stay on the middle Atlantic coast.

DerekLee1
10-13-2009, 12:57 AM
Cowher is waiting for the one of 2 jobs, Carolina, Fox is on the hot seat, and the Redskin job. Cowher wants to stay on the middle Atlantic coast.

Cowher wants to go where he can win, and win in the spotlight. Neither Carolina nor DC offers that. At least not any more than Houston does. Where would YOU rather coach? Look at all three phases of football, and where your strength is. Houston is Cowher's best option to WIN. But the question is, is it enough exposure for him?

painekiller
10-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Cowher wants to go where he can win, and win in the spotlight. Neither Carolina nor DC offers that. At least not any more than Houston does. Where would YOU rather coach? Look at all three phases of football, and where your strength is. Houston is Cowher's best option to WIN. But the question is, is it enough exposure for him?

Where did Cowher play his college ball? Where does he live currently? Hint: not in Houston.

mattieuk
10-13-2009, 02:14 AM

No, Kris Brown plays on special teams, no offense. He definitely meant Chris 'The Bus' Brown. ;)

Marcus
10-13-2009, 02:28 AM
If you were Bill Cowher . . . would you want to coach the Houston freaking Texans????

Like they say on ESPN . . . C'mon Man!

Air Canada
10-13-2009, 02:31 AM
1. We have talent. AJ, Schaub, KW, OD, Slaton, Chris Brown on offense. For the 3-4 he loves so much, we have killer speed DE's in MARIO and Barwin, and great LB's with Ryans and Cushing. (NT is an admitted weakness in the 3-4, but that can be worked on)

2. The NY market is not going to open up any time soon with the Jets doing well with Rex Ryan and the Giants the (debatable) best team in football with Coughlin. No way does he consider Oakland on the west coast either.

One reason he may not want Dallas?....Jerry Jones and Tony Who knows...

imatexan
10-13-2009, 04:52 AM

Lets hope.

silvrhand
10-13-2009, 10:04 AM
If you were Bill Cowher . . . would you want to coach the Houston freaking Texans????

Like they say on ESPN . . . C'mon Man!

The upside for him coming to Houston is huge though, could you imagine if Cowher came to Houston and delivered an NFL championship that this city has been wanting for 30+ years?

He'd have a key to the city, panties would fall from the sky, the sun would always shine no matter where he walked in Houston, etc, etc, etc..

HTown2ATX
10-13-2009, 10:12 AM
panties would fall from the sky

LMAO...yes! Cloudy with a chance of Panties! haha

Wish I had that kind of power!

:specnatz:

badboy
10-13-2009, 10:19 AM

The Dallas Cowboys will have a coaching vacancy in 2010.No one seems to think Cowher would come to Houston even if McNair chose to open the vault. You seemingly gloss over the huge hole of not having a NT for the 3-4. Where do you get one? None available in next draft and none I see in free agency. It is like the Rockets saying we don't have a center then calling Australia, you can plug the hole and still not accomplish much.

blitz90
10-13-2009, 10:21 AM

His 1st choice is reportedly Carolina and Fox is on the hot seat. Cowher will never be in Houston. Period.

texanmojo
10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Cowher will never be in Houston. Period.

I wouldn't say period...but...as much as I would love to have him here, the realistic side of me says he will never be the Texans coach.

False Start
10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't say period...but...as much as I would love to have him here, the realistic side of me says he will never be the Texans coach.

I'm with ya' man. The Texans haven't built up a good enough reputation to attract coaches like Cowher.

Goldensilence
10-13-2009, 11:48 AM
I don't know what kind of crank someone of you doing saying the Cowboys job isn't more attractive than Houston.

I'm not the biggest fan of the City or of the team, but the only draw back to that job is dealing with Jerruh Jones.

DerekLee1
10-13-2009, 12:03 PM
No one seems to think Cowher would come to Houston even if McNair chose to open the vault. You seemingly gloss over the huge hole of not having a NT for the 3-4. Where do you get one? None available in next draft and none I see in free agency. It is like the Rockets saying we don't have a center then calling Australia, you can plug the hole and still not accomplish much.

Where Cowher lands, he'll attract players. Free agents will WANT to play for him. Hypothetically speaking, they would likely plug the hole with Okoye or Robinson the first year, or package Okoye in a trade to a team with a 4-3 to find a stop-gap, until they landed their guy a season or two later.

As far as him going to Carolina, just because he LIVES in Carolina does not mean he'd want to coach there. That's just speculation. Texas is a 2-hour flight from Carolina. His youngest daughter is a senior now, and will be in college somewhere next year, so I don't think location is quite as crucial as it was when he resigned from the Steelers. He's going to want to go somewhere that has a good foundation and will be in the spotlight. Houston fits the foundation part of the bill way more than any other probable NFL franchises that will potentially have a vacancy. Cowher himself often comments on CBS about how good the Texans personnel foundation is. Fact is, though, Dallas is a more attractive option because of their media attention, and Jerruh would sell out to get Cowher like he did for Parcells.

MightyTExan
10-13-2009, 12:11 PM
One point I don't see being raised in going after these high-profile coaches. I think their success also depends on their assistant coaches. Most of those assistants are HC's now. Do you think (hypothethically) that if we get Cowher, is the current DC of Pittsburgh going to leave to come here? Or his old assistants give up their HC gigs?

OzzO
10-13-2009, 12:11 PM
/\ Thanks D. Lee - I was wondering where all this "oh he's only going to city x or y because he's from there" stuff was coming from. I don't recall seeing an "official" document from Cowher noting those cities on his list or written anywhere that he said that.

I would agree with some posters - if it came down to Dallas or Houston (taking personal bias out if possible) would you rather work for Bob or Jerrah?

nunusguy
10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm with ya' man. The Texans haven't built up a good enough reputation to attract coaches like Cowher.

Exactly. He can name his city and his jobs, which probably means both the HC and GM positions. And still doubt that would be enough to entice him to locate in Houston.

badboy
10-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Where Cowher lands, he'll attract players. Free agents will WANT to play for him. Hypothetically speaking, they would likely plug the hole with Okoye or Robinson the first year, or package Okoye in a trade to a team with a 4-3 to find a stop-gap, until they landed their guy a season or two later.

As far as him going to Carolina, just because he LIVES in Carolina does not mean he'd want to coach there. That's just speculation. Texas is a 2-hour flight from Carolina. His youngest daughter is a senior now, and will be in college somewhere next year, so I don't think location is quite as crucial as it was when he resigned from the Steelers. He's going to want to go somewhere that has a good foundation and will be in the spotlight. Houston fits the foundation part of the bill way more than any other probable NFL franchises that will potentially have a vacancy. Cowher himself often comments on CBS about how good the Texans personnel foundation is. Fact is, though, Dallas is a more attractive option because of their media attention, and Jerruh would sell out to get Cowher like he did for Parcells.Cowher will attract FA of course, there just are not any DTs. You really want any of our current DTs as your Nose in a 3-4? (shudders)Why would any 4-3 team give you a starting DT for Okoye? You want to tell this fan base that you are changing defenses now? At least if you went to a 3-4 you might go after Wade Phillips as your DC after he gets fired, I guess.

ObsiWan
10-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Matt Schaub.

...oh, you meant Chris Brown.
:D

ObsiWan
10-13-2009, 12:47 PM
One point I don't see being raised in going after these high-profile coaches. I think their success also depends on their assistant coaches. Most of those assistants are HC's now. Do you think (hypothethically) that if we get Cowher, is the current DC of Pittsburgh going to leave to come here? Or his old assistants give up their HC gigs?

Excellent point. Everyone seems to think that Cowher orchestrated the Pittsburgh defense that won his Super Bowl. I say it's Dick LeBeau. LeBeau was the defensive coordinator for both the 2005 AND 2008 Super Bowl teams.

I'd rather have Dick LeBeau here as HC and to oversee our defense than Cowher here with who knows what coaching staff.

DerekLee1
10-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Cowher will attract FA of course, there just are not any DTs. You really want any of our current DTs as your Nose in a 3-4? (shudders)Why would any 4-3 team give you a starting DT for Okoye? You want to tell this fan base that you are changing defenses now? At least if you went to a 3-4 you might go after Wade Phillips as your DC after he gets fired, I guess.

I said Okoye in some sort of package deal with another player of need to send somewhere with a 4-3. Maybe Okoye, Grossman, and Jacoby Jones to Washington for an underperforming and overpaid Haynesworth? If I was Washington, I think I might do that deal.

I still don't think Cowher would come here, and I don't think Kubiak will be fired this year. This is all hypothetical, so I'm just having fun with it.

badboy
10-13-2009, 02:39 PM
I said Okoye in some sort of package deal with another player of need to send somewhere with a 4-3. Maybe Okoye, Grossman, and Jacoby Jones to Washington for an underperforming and overpaid Haynesworth? If I was Washington, I think I might do that deal.

I still don't think Cowher would come here, and I don't think Kubiak will be fired this year. This is all hypothetical, so I'm just having fun with it.
DerekLee, do you read your posts my friend? If Hainesworth is not performing, why would we want his fat body and fat salary here? Now if the right NT was available I might trade those three but it would have to be awesome. Okoye has looked better last two games and JJ is on a roll for pro bowl consideration as of today so it would have to be a pretty solid guy coming here. At least you are offering options.

mussop
10-13-2009, 10:27 PM
DerekLee, do you read your posts my friend? If Hainesworth is not performing, why would we want his fat body and fat salary here? Now if the right NT was available I might trade those three but it would have to be awesome. Okoye has looked better last two games and JJ is on a roll for pro bowl consideration as of today so it would have to be a pretty solid guy coming here. At least you are offering options.

Redskins shopping Anthony Montgomery. Height: 6-6 Weight: 330 Age: 25 He might be worth a look. Haynseworth took his place.

chicagotexan2
10-13-2009, 10:30 PM
LMAO...yes! Cloudy with a chance of Panties! haha

Wish I had that kind of power!

:specnatz:

I don't need them to fall from the sky. Just fall from a babes waist.

SoCalTexanFan
11-23-2009, 11:38 PM
I just wanted to be the first to post it. This was it for Kubiak. He plays NOT lose rather than win. Not calling a timeout and at least taking one shot at the end zone with 8 seconds made no sense. It showed exactly the way he thinks. Too conservative.

Bill Cowher will be the coach in 2010.

FirstTexansFan
11-23-2009, 11:39 PM
I doubt Cowher would come here, but I'd like it if he did.

Dread-Head
11-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Agreed...him or Shottenheimer.

GuerillaBlack
11-23-2009, 11:41 PM
I would love it if Bill Cowher came. But, Kubiak wasn't THAT bad. He messed up by having Brown out there, but he didn't miss a relatively easy FG...two games in a row...

DiehardChris
11-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Bill Cowher will never coach in Houston. He will use them to drive his price up, though.

But just to throw fuel on the flame - NFL.com reports that Bill Cowher's short list is Carolina, Chicago, and Houston. Let the hysteria begin...er, continue.

LINK (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/23/bills-contact-cowher-about-head-coaching-job/)

FirstTexansFan
11-23-2009, 11:42 PM
I would love it if Bill Cowher came. But, Kubiak wasn't THAT bad. He messed up by having Brown out there, but he didn't miss a relatively easy FG...two games in a row...

But he did prepare this team for two weeks prior to this game. I agree he can't play the game for them, but their is more wrong with this team than Kris Brown missing a field goal.

toronto
11-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Bill Cowher will never coach in Houston. He will use them to drive his price up, though.

But just to throw fuel on the flame - NFL.com reports that Bill Cowher's short list is Carolina, Chicago, and Houston. Let the hysteria begin...er, continue.

LINK (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/23/bills-contact-cowher-about-head-coaching-job/)

I've long believed that Cowher is a midwest kinda guy, and when Lerner cleans house again, is gonna hand Cowher a blank check. The fans there are starting to revolt and the owner has to do something drastic - Cowher fits the bill there, and it's not that far a flight to NC for him.

TexanSam
11-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Assuming the Texans job did come open, it would be an attractive position for many coaches. We have talented players on both sides of the ball. They just don't know how to win. Starts from the top.

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Please please stop with these Bill Cowher to Houston threads. Anyone suggesting that is very misinformed as to where or what Cowher wants to do with his career. Coaching the Texans is not even on his radar. Stop with this stuff. It's old now.

Leahmic223
11-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Has Cowher ever said or done anything that says he doesn't want to come to Houston?

I really don't understand why not, so someone fill me in.

Especially when this team lost 4 heartbreaking games outta 5. There is potential there and this would be a pretty attractive job for any coach. At least they know they have a QB unlike Carolina and tons of offensive weapons unlike Chicago. If the Texans offer the correct money I don't see guys running from the job.

Ryan
11-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Kubiak is here to stay. I like the guy, and think if we have enough patience with him he will get us going places. He still makes some very questionable decisions, but it's not his fault his kicker misses easy FGs, or Chris Brown fumbles at the 1 yard line.

Pollardized
11-24-2009, 09:30 AM
OK, let me say this first - I like Gary Kubiak as a person. He is a good man, a good offensive coordinator, and an Aggie. But after all this time I am ready to say ENOUGH. True, it wasn't Kubiak missing FGs, dropping passes, or not tackling people. But he is the HEAD COACH - he sets the tone for the whole team. There are too many times the Texans look like there coach - complacent and kind of "aw shucks I missed that one." The Texans lack an identity. They don't play with the fire that is required to win in the NFL. Football is a violent game, played with tons of emotion. Look at Jeff Fisher on the sidelines - he gets into the game and his players follow his lead. When the Titans were 0-6 Fisher put a Manning jersey on and said he wanted to look like a winner. He was criticized, but his players were motivated and they turned around their play. Agian I like Kubes, I think he is great OC, just probably not a head coach. Many great OC could not make it as head coach. A head coach has to be agreat leader who surrounds himself with great coordinators. I think it may be time for a change after this season.

On that note, this is on NFL.com : " The Houston Texans and Chicago Bears would excite Cowher as well, according to a source, should they opt to make a move." Here is the link http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81471061&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Brisco_County
11-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Kubiak will be the coach next year.

Hagar
11-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I rooted for Kubiac to come here but I'm really starting to have my doubts. This team just isn't what I wanted to see on the field. We are way too much of a finesse team for my taste. Our line play stinks on both sides of the ball.

I doubt he will but I'd say Bob should at least make the phone call at the end of the season.

HOU-TEX
11-24-2009, 09:55 AM

Agreed

Mr. White
11-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Get on the phone Bob.

Pollardized
11-24-2009, 10:08 AM
I think he will be gone if we don't make the playoffs. I have the utmost amount of respect for Bob McNair. He brought football back to my hometown, against all odds, against all the LA nut huggers who tried to bring a team back there. He is a successful man who doesn't like to lose. He deserves to win as much as anyone for the chance he took in bringing us the Texans. I believe he sees the potential in this team right now. He said this team is expected to complete and be a playoff caliber team. Hiring Bill Cowher would be a huge splash around the NFL. He would bring the credibility that we are seeking.

If he doesn't want to pay the money to get Cowher, I am available for a couple hundred thousand a year...

Texan_Bill
11-24-2009, 10:13 AM
:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Ryan
11-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Cowher would be good in a few years if he's still available(whivh he won't be) and Kubes still isn't getting it done, but how would we be able to run the ball the way he would want to with these middle schoolers we have for o-linemen?

DerekLee1
11-24-2009, 10:24 AM

As he should be. This franchise should not have a revolving door for the head coach. Kubiak has turned this team into a winner with a winning attitude. Yeah, there have been a few tough breaks here and there this season, and it sucks and it's painful and all that. But we didn't lose those because of coaching. I say you have to stick with him.

FuzzyLogic
11-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I'll admit immediately after the game I was in the "fire everyone, fire them all, find out where their wives and kids work and fire them too" mode.

I think Kubiak will still be here next year, I think we'll probably finish 9-7, and that will be good enough to save his job. He'll get one more draft, one more year's experience for the NFL's youngest team then they'll see what the team can do.

As much as I want to be a "win now" team, I just as much don't want to be the Houston version of the Browns and the crazy moves that team is ridiculed for.

(Had to edit, I had us playing 17 regular season games)

Texan_Bill
11-24-2009, 10:40 AM
I think Kubiak will still be here next year, I think we'll probably finish 9-8, and that will be good enough to save his job.

:thinking:

Thorn
11-24-2009, 10:42 AM

maybe he had us playing a wild card game. :)

FuzzyLogic
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
I fixed it...

I'm on vacation this week and just waking up, posting before caffeine takes hold.

Pollardized
11-24-2009, 10:49 AM
As he should be. This franchise should not have a revolving door for the head coach. Kubiak has turned this team into a winner with a winning attitude. Yeah, there have been a few tough breaks here and there this season, and it sucks and it's painful and all that. But we didn't lose those because of coaching. I say you have to stick with him.

I agree to a certain extent. The attitude has changed. But we still have no identity as a team. We seem to play with a lackadaisical effort way too often. Look at shots of Schaub after a bad throw or dropped pass. Too often he has that "dang I can't believe that happened" puppy dog look. As much as I dislike VY, the man has a fire in him and a desire to win. We need that on our team. From our players. And it starts with the head coach. He has to set the example, get fired up, chew some butt, challenge a player to fight if he needs to. I liek him, and want him to suceed. I'm just thinking he may be a great OC who doesn't have the mentality to be a head coach.

GuerillaBlack
11-24-2009, 11:03 AM
I agree to a certain extent. The attitude has changed. But we still have no identity as a team. We seem to play with a lackadaisical effort way too often. Look at shots of Schaub after a bad throw or dropped pass. Too often he has that "dang I can't believe that happened" puppy dog look. As much as I dislike VY, the man has a fire in him and a desire to win. We need that on our team. From our players. And it starts with the head coach. He has to set the example, get fired up, chew some butt, challenge a player to fight if he needs to. I like him, and want him to suceed. I'm just thinking he may be a great OC who doesn't have the mentality to be a head coach.

And that's Bill Cowher:

http://readandreact.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/bill-cowher-lips.jpg

nero THE zero
11-24-2009, 11:06 AM

He's turned this franchise into a winner? In what bizzaro-world do you live where a coach with a losing record, coaching a team who's never had a winning record, is a winning franchise?

Kubiak and Smith have done well to turn over the talent on this team. But, if Kubiak can't get this team into the playoffs by his fourth season, it's time to move on and find someone who can.

That said, barring a major implosion, I think McNair let's him have one more year to get us to the playoffs. If he does, he gets a contract extension; if he doesn't we get a new HC.

Texan_Bill
11-24-2009, 11:07 AM
maybe he had us playing a wild card game. :)

I wish!! :thumbup

I fixed it...

I'm on vacation this week and just waking up, posting before caffeine takes hold.

I thought you were just living up to your username.. ;)

GuerillaBlack
11-24-2009, 11:07 AM
But the thing about giving Kubiak another year is a coach like Bill Cowher won't be available next year.

Texan_Bill
11-24-2009, 11:15 AM
But the thing about giving Kubiak another year is a coach like Bill Cowher won't be available next year.

Consider him not available now and move on. He ain't coming here. Not now, not next year.

nero THE zero
11-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Consider him not available now and move on. He ain't coming here. Not now, not next year.

Based on what?

It'd be a lot more believable based on the premise that we won't likely have a HC vacancy than on any perpetuated myth that Cowher doesn't want to be here, which has been further proven baseless by the recent report that he, indeed, finds Houston a desirable place to coach.

eriadoc
11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I rooted for Kubiac to come here but I'm really starting to have my doubts. This team just isn't what I wanted to see on the field. We are way too much of a finesse team for my taste. Our line play stinks on both sides of the ball.

I doubt he will but I'd say Bob should at least make the phone call at the end of the season.

I agree. I don't see how you pin that on Kubiak, though. As Herv pointed out several weeks ago, this is the first group of guys that Alex Gibbs has not been able to turn into a rushing powerhouse. To me, that says a ton about the players, not the coaches.

Texan_Bill
11-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Based on what?

It'd be a lot more believable based on the premise that we won't likely have a HC vacancy than on any perpetuated myth that Cowher doesn't want to be here, which has been further proven baseless by the recent report that he, indeed, finds Houston a desirable place to coach.

Based on exactly what your premise suggests. Kubiak will be here next season and probably the following.

GuerillaBlack
11-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree. I don't see how you pin that on Kubiak, though. As Herv pointed out several weeks ago, this is the first group of guys that Alex Gibbs has not been able to turn into a rushing powerhouse. To me, that says a ton about the players, not the coaches.

We were last year though...

And where does all of this "Bill Cowher has no chance at coming here" talk come from? Did you all not just see the report from NFL.com where he named Houston (and the Bears) as his desirable places to coach? The Texans are better than the Bears, too. Don't say we have no chance in getting him because that is definitely not true at all.

Pollardized
11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Doesn't it look like he's about to say "******* the titans!"?

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bill-cowher-mad.jpg

Second Honeymoon
11-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Ownership/Management won't even bring in a top Free Agent, so how are you going to get a top Coaching candidate?

Not gonna happen. We are stuck with Kubiak for better or worse for probably 2 more years at least.

I am going to go get sick now. Last night's loss made getting up this morning really tough, and I was alcohol-free.

I would love Cowher and its quite obvious that Cowher is a better coach/motivator than Kubiak, but Kubiak's lame act is getting pretty tired. i am just trying to remain positive about 5-5. This was our season and thanks to Chris Brown, Kris Brown, and bad clock and game management we are irrelevant......AGAIN.

Pollardized
11-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Ownership/Management won't even bring in a top Free Agent, so how are you going to get a top Coaching candidate?

Not gonna happen. We are stuck with Kubiak for better or worse for probably 2 more years at least.

I am going to go get sick now. Last night's loss made getting up this morning really tough, and I was alcohol-free.

I would love Cowher and its quite obvious that Cowher is a better coach/motivator than Kubiak, but Kubiak's lame act is getting pretty tired. i am just trying to remain positive about 5-5. This was our season and thanks to Chris Brown, Kris Brown, and bad clock and game management we are irrelevant......AGAIN.

Good points. I consistently see too many opportunities to do the little things winning teams do, that we don't do. Like pick up additional yardage with 8 seconds on the clock and 1 timeout. Or try to get the ball to your best player inside the 10 yard line, not have him block on a play most saw coming.

Double Barrel
11-24-2009, 11:50 AM

I feel that way, as well.

However, the look on Bob McNair's face at the end of the game was a mix of anger and disgust. I have never seen our owner sport that look, so there might be more going on inside his head than we realize.

If y'all think we are tired of watching mediocre football for eight years, think of how the guy that paid over a billion must feel.

I can't/won't speculate on Cowher, but if there is even the slightest interest on his part, I would be like a duck on a junebug if I was Mr. McNair.

Pollardized
11-24-2009, 11:52 AM

However, the look on Bob McNair's face at the end of the game was a mix of anger and disgust. I have never seen our owner sport that look, so there might be more going on inside his head than we realize.

If y'all think we are tired of watching mediocre football for eight years, think of how the guy that paid over a billion must feel.

I can't/won't speculate on Cowher, but if there is even the slightest interest on his part, I would be like a duck on a junebug if I was Mr. McNair.

Bold = what I am thinking. If I spend $10 on Chick-Fil-A and my nuggets are a little cold I get pissed.

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 11:58 AM
God these Cowher threads get so old and tiring. Cowher has said plenty of times that "IF" he decides to coach again he wants to coach near his family and the only team I've seen him mention the slightest interest with in the last two years was the Carolina Panthers because it was near his family. Cowher has not expressed any interest to coach next season as well. That could change, but right now he has expressed no interest. And for the record, every team's message board in the NFL that doesn't have a great coach right now is begging for Cowher. He will most likely only coach a team that is somewhat close to his family and if he did coach somewhere in Texas it's a lot more likely that he would be coaching the Cowboys instead of the Texans. Now this thread can hopefully end and we'll wait for the next Cowher thread to pop back up after the next Texans loss where the same stuff is posted for the 15th time. :turtle:

GuerillaBlack
11-24-2009, 12:00 PM
God these Cowher threads get so old and tiring. Cowher has said plenty of times that "IF" he decides to coach again he wants to coach near his family and the only team I've seen him mention the slightest interest with in the last two years was the Carolina Panthers because it was near his family. Cowher has not expressed any interest to coach next season as well. That could change, but right now he has expressed no interest. And for the record, every team's message board in the NFL that doesn't have a great coach right now is begging for Cowher. He will most likely only coach a team that is somewhat close to his family and if he did coach somewhere in Texas it's a lot more likely that he would be coaching the Cowboys instead of the Texans. Now this thread can hopefully end and we'll wait for the next Cowher thread to pop back up after the next Texans loss where the same stuff is posted for the 15th time. :turtle:

You need to be updated sir:

NFL Network: Source says Bears, Texans 'would excite' Cowher
November 23, 2009 7:36 PM | 10 Comments
By David Haugh

Bears fans coveting Bill Cowher as a possible replacement for Lovie Smith, take a deep breath. This may cause your pulse to race.

An NFL Network report Monday night cited a source that said the idea of coaching the Bears or Texans "would excite,'' Cowher if the job becomes open.

Thorn
11-24-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm still liking Kubiac for the future, but if they have a chance to bring Cowher in, I'd hope they'd at least look into it and talk to Cowher.

Gotta remember folks, this is a very young team that is still being built along the lines of Kubiac and Smith. I think the only way Cowher comes in here is da owner finally pops a blood vessel and goes off on everyone.

BattleRedToro
11-24-2009, 12:05 PM
I know some people will deride my suggestion, saying he can't win in the playoffs, but I'm ready for some Marty-ball. Even if it means we lose in the playoffs to the eventual AFC Champion, at least we will be respectable and a perennial contender. I'll take that over being a never-was also-ran .500 team.

Second Honeymoon
11-24-2009, 12:06 PM

If that report is accurate, that could go a long way towards changing my mood today. 4 years is long enough for someone to turn a team into a winner. Kubiak has failed to do so and other coaches have done it quicker and with no more to work with than Kubiak has had.

Kubiak's problem is he is too loyal to players and coaches that suck. Myers should be gone. Richard Smith should have been gone after his first season. Bush is in over his head at DC although he is better than Richard Smith, which aint sayin much. Weaver was kept around too long. Chris Brown still sucks.

I just hope we can make something happen with the rest of the season and not just become 8-8 again. I think Kubiak is safe if we go 8-8 again and that sucks. We need a change and something for us to look forward to next year. Let's make a splash.

COWHER TIME!!

Pollardized
11-24-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm still liking Kubiac for the future, but if they have a chance to bring Cowher in, I'd hope they'd at least look into it and talk to Cowher.

Gotta remember folks, this is a very young team that is still being built along the lines of Kubiac and Smith. I think the only way Cowher comes in here is da owner finally pops a blood vessel and goes off on everyone.

He didn't look very pleased at the end of the game. And he was sitting with the immortal one (BUM PHILLIPS!!!) all night.

Jackie Chiles
11-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Thats the first evidence I've seen from an actual insider saying the Texans would have a shot at him and its very intriguing. Kubiak will have a chance to keep his job over the next few weeks but I don't think its as much of a lock as some others in this thread. One of the reasons is that I could see us losing our next two games and 4 games total from here. Not saying it WILL happen but I won't be too surprised. That, or even another 8-8, combined with the chance at getting Cowher could be too much for Bob to resist.

Thorn
11-24-2009, 12:11 PM
He didn't look very pleased at the end of the game. And he was sitting with the immortal one (BUM PHILLIPS!!!) all night.

I'm more interested in the Texans winning than I am in who's actually the head coach. If Cowher can do the job, let's bring him in. Or keep Kubiac, or have a lottery and select one of us here on the BBS. I want the Texans to win a Super Bowl. I don't care if they hire Pee Wee Herman to coach as long as he gets us to the super bowl.

of course, if they did hire Pee Wee Herman, I sure as hell wouldn't go watch any movies with him. Not that there's anything wrong with that.........

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 12:12 PM

I wouldn't put much into that GB. Until I see some serious quotes from Cowher, I don't think we're high on his radar. Hey, I'm with you and many others in the fact that I'd want him over anyone, but I don't think Mcnair will fire Kubiak in the first place and even if so I think there will be more teams out there that will interest Cowher more than the Texans would. I'd love to be wrong though. If you want this to happen, then send a letter to Bob Mcnair and beg him to go all out for Cowher. Maybe he'll listen. That's the only way Cowher would ever get there. Mcnair would not only have to spend huge dollars for him, but he'd have to do everything in his power to sell this franchise to Cowher and I don't see Mcnair as the kind of owner that would go out of his way to do that like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder would.

Pollardized
11-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Watching "game film" would take on a whole new meaning with Pee Wee at the helm...

LonerATO
11-24-2009, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't put much into that GB. Until I see some serious quotes from Cowher, I don't think we're high on his radar. Hey, I'm with you and many others in the fact that I'd want him over anyone, but I don't think Mcnair will fire Kubiak in the first place and even if so I think there will be more teams out there that will interest Cowher more than the Texans would. I'd love to be wrong though. If you want this to happen, then send a letter to Bob Mcnair and beg him to go all out for Cowher. Maybe he'll listen. That's the only way Cowher would ever get there. Mcnair would not only have to spend huge dollars for him, but he'd have to do everything in his power to sell this franchise to Cowher and I don't see Mcnair as the kind of owner that would go out of his way to do that like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder would.

Snyder and Jones would try and control Cowher.

nero THE zero
11-24-2009, 12:26 PM

Because coaches have no affect on the cap?

It's also not true that we haven't brought in top FA, but that's not relevant anyway.

eriadoc
11-24-2009, 12:35 PM
We were last year though...

We weren't a rushing powerhouse last year at all. We ran for a lot of yards, but it was a lot of yards between the twenties, with big runs sprinkled in between 1-yd. gains. Not that there isn't value to that, but in the past, Gibbs' teams have been able to run the ball at a consistent pace.

1+1+1+1+16= 4.0 yards per carry.

4+4+4+4+4= 4.0 yards per carry.

You figure out which one you want. We've done neither this year, so I guess I'll take either one, but I prefer the latter.

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Snyder and Jones would try and control Cowher.

Jerry would eventually, but Snyder would not. Regardless, that wasn't my point. Those guys will go way out of their way to make big acquisitions whether it be a coach or a player. They'll try and "sell" their team to that coach or the player and put in that extra effort and that extra mile probably over any other owner. They both have plenty of other faults though that end up making them less desirable owners to work for, but one thing that both of them can do is "sell" their team as an attractive destination to be at. Since the Texans have come into the league Mcnair has never been that type of guy. Will that ever change? Who knows, but from what we've seen thus far there is nothing to suggest that it will.

What I just described is the reason why just about every big name HC that is available right now is always brought up in discussions leading towards them going to Dallas or Washington, because most people know that Jones and Snyder will not only pay the big bucks, but they will go all out to try and bring in the big name guy that they want and they'll go that extra mile to get him.

Double Barrel
11-24-2009, 12:47 PM

McNair went out of his way to bring football back to Houston, so who knows what he's capable of...

Like I said earlier, dude did not pay all that jack to watch crappy football for eight years in a row. I'm not saying he will do this or won't do that, simply because we do not know and he keeps his cards very close to his chest.

But, the look on his face was one that I have never seen in him before. It wasn't happy-go-lucky McNair that is glad to be here. It was more of a look that he's just about had enough of this crap. JMO

LonerATO
11-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Jerry would eventually, but Snyder would not. Regardless, that wasn't my point. Those guys will go way out of their way to make big acquisitions whether it be a coach or a player. They'll try and "sell" their team to that coach or the player and put in that extra effort and that extra mile probably over any other owner. They both have plenty of other faults though that end up making them less desirable owners to work for, but one thing that both of them can do is "sell" their team as an attractive destination to be at. Since the Texans have come into the league Mcnair has never been that type of guy. Will that ever change? Who knows, but from what we've seen thus far there is nothing to suggest that it will.

What I just described is the reason why just about every big name HC that is available right now is always brought up in discussions leading towards them going to Dallas or Washington, because most people know that Jones and Snyder will not only pay the big bucks, but they will go all out to try and bring in the big name guy that they want and they'll go that extra mile to get him.

I should have worded that different and I agree about Snyder. Jerry is a tool and tries to run the team. I think Dan would just hand him the team, but these guys are still banking off past Super Bowls.

Pantherstang84
11-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Saw that and thought, "Man, he looks more pissed off than me."

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Jerry is a tool and tries to run the team.

Yes, this is true. Jerry will go over board and become over bearing eventually no matter who is the coach over there. He wouldn't even let Parcells coach the team without intervention of some kind. Coaching the Cowboys will always have it's pluses and minuses. Jerry will always irritate his coaches though. He can still "sell" his franchise in so many other ways though as an attractive destination to coach for though. I can't deny that he's good at that.

I think Dan would just hand him the team, but these guys are still banking off past Super Bowls.

Yeah, the team's history always seems to play a part in coaches wanting to coach there. Washington has a very rich history. Snyder will do everything in his power to get the guy he wants though. He went way out of his way to bring back Gibbs and at the time it was reported that it wasn't easy and that Snyder had to do a hell of a lot of twisting to get him to come back. I thought it was a fantastic and shrewd move on the part of Snyder though personally. It got the fans excited and he was able to bring back there hero out there and it came out of nowhere. Zorn was an experiment that has utterly failed partly due to Jason Campbell being there. The guy is never going to be able to take his team anywhere.

Dread-Head
11-24-2009, 01:19 PM

Hey Coach Cowher...here's a dump-truck full of money...want to coach in Houston?

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
McNair went out of his way to bring football back to Houston,

That doesn't have anything to do with how he acts as an owner as far as trying to get the coaches that he wants or desires for. Kubiak was a "hot name" OC at the time when Capers was fired and it didn't take much to get Kubes at the time. It wasn't a year where there were tons of big time big name coaches available in that off season either. Going out and getting a guy like Cowher or a guy like Holmgren perhaps is going to take a lot because they have so many destinations that they can coach at. They can go almost anywhere right now. Cowher especially. Even some teams with winnng records that are playoff teams would possibly fire their successful HC to bring in Cowher. It will take a guy that will pay a ton of money, and really go out of his way to "sell" their team's vision and franchise to Cowher. He has so many choices and opportunities, so he can act like a pre madonna if he wants to as far as who "he wants" to coach for and what they'll offer and do for him. Mcnair will have to do all of that and compete as hard as guys like Snyder and Jones will. We have yet to see him do that so far as an owner. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I'm not that confident that he will though personally. He just doesn't strike me as that type of owner at this point.

Like I said earlier, dude did not pay all that jack to watch crappy football for eight years in a row. I'm not saying he will do this or won't do that, simply because we do not know and he keeps his cards very close to his chest.

Yep, pretty much.

But, the look on his face was one that I have never seen in him before. It wasn't happy-go-lucky McNair that is glad to be here. It was more of a look that he's just about had enough of this crap. JMO

Well good. He should be pissed. We're in year four of the Kubiak era and most people and fans across the country expected this team to be a playoff team. Personally I think this team is easily good enough to make the playoffs, but we keep finding ways to lose instead of finding ways to win. Teams that are coached well find ways to win, and not the opposite and this is the same thing that's gone on since last season. If Mcnair feels that way, well then he should do something about it. Is firing Kubes the answer? If he can find a very good candidate, then I think it is. If he isn't wiling to explore that, well then I think he'll just keep Kubiak and extend him again. It's hard to say what Mcnair will do though, because as he keeps his cards tightly to his chest as you mentioned.

nero THE zero
11-24-2009, 01:38 PM
That doesn't have anything to do with how he acts as an owner as far as trying to get the coaches that he wants or desires for. Kubiak was a "hot name" OC at the time when Capers was fired and it didn't take much to get Kubes at the time. It wasn't a year where there were tons of big time big name coaches available in that off season either. Going out and getting a guy like Cowher or a guy like Holmgren perhaps is going to take a lot because they have so many destinations that they can coach at. They can go almost anywhere right now. Cowher especially. Even some teams with winnng records that are playoff teams would possibly fire their successful HC to bring in Cowher. It will take a guy that will pay a ton of money, and really go out of his way to "sell" their team's vision and franchise to Cowher. He has so many choices and opportunities, so he can act like a pre madonna if he wants to as far as who "he wants" to coach for and what they'll offer and do for him. Mcnair will have to do all of that and compete as hard as guys like Snyder and Jones will. We have yet to see him do that so far as an owner. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I'm not that confident that he will though personally. He just doesn't strike me as that type of owner at this point.

So, what you're saying is, despite reports that the Houston job is attractive to Cowher, you think it's going to take bells and whistles that McNair is not willing to pull out to get Cowher here, based on your own baseless preconceptions?

The only real evidence we have of whether Cowher can or will coach here is promising, despite the "it's too good to be true" crowd, such as yourself.

The biggest hurdle in getting Cowher here is getting Kubiak out of here.

Double Barrel
11-24-2009, 02:00 PM
That doesn't have anything to do with how he acts as an owner as far as trying to get the coaches that he wants or desires for.

Sure, it does. It shows that when Bob McNair wants something bad enough, he's willing to invest a helluva' lot of time and money to get it.

I was no small feat to convince the NFL to bring a team back to Houston.

Kubiak was a "hot name" OC at the time when Capers was fired and it didn't take much to get Kubes at the time.

Kubiak wanted to be here. He was interviewed as the first HC, but McNair wanted him to get more experience.

See, the deal is that if a coach wants to be here, then half the battle is won. And this entire thread is predicated on the NFL.com article that specifically states that Cowher might be interested in Houston.

It's rumor right now, but sometimes there is fire when there is smoke. So we never know.

Going out and getting a guy like Cowher or a guy like Holmgren perhaps is going to take a lot because they have so many destinations that they can coach at. They can go almost anywhere right now. Cowher especially. Even some teams with winnng records that are playoff teams would possibly fire their successful HC to bring in Cowher. It will take a guy that will pay a ton of money, and really go out of his way to "sell" their team's vision and franchise to Cowher. He has so many choices and opportunities, so he can act like a pre madonna if he wants to as far as who "he wants" to coach for and what they'll offer and do for him. Mcnair will have to do all of that and compete as hard as guys like Snyder and Jones will. We have yet to see him do that so far as an owner. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I'm not that confident that he will though personally. He just doesn't strike me as that type of owner at this point.

Like I mentioned, this entire thread was started on the speculation that Cowher might be interested in this gig. So your above statements would not truly be applicable if that is the case.

However, if Cowher is not interested, then yeah, what you are saying is right, but we still have no idea what kind of owner we have in that regard simply because we do not know his M.O. at this point in time.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I think Kubiak is back next season. The rest of the stuff is just conversation based upon a purported rumor on NFL.com. It is nothing more, nothing less, just talk among disgruntled fans after a crappy loss.

toronto
11-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Cowher is a compelling fit for your franchise.

1) You can afford his ridiculous pricetag, rumored to be 10M a season
2) He wants a solid QB or better, and I think Schaub does fit the bill.
3) Enough talent around the other 52 to be a playoff team NOW. He doesn't want to start from scratch.
4) I'm quite certain he can get personnel input power. Why not? He knows what makes a true NFL player and how to develop/coach/motivate young talent.

HOU-TEX
11-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Personally, I think Kubiak will be here for at least another year. That said, it'd be crazy for McNair not to do his due diligence considering the level of success Cowher has had.

Playoffs
11-24-2009, 02:06 PM

And we'll let the Texans have our PSL tickets back.

Enough is enough. Can't lose big games to lesser teams.

Gary is a nice enough guy, but players don't play for him. We need a coach who can motivate a buy-in from the players. Gary can't.

We need a steel curtain, not a swinging door.

PHAROAH
11-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Man I hate to admit it but it's time to bring in a real head coach to get this ship going in the right direction. I think that the Texans are one of the better teams when it comes to drafting players but this guy can't get these players up to win games that we should win. The look on the fans faces at the end of the game was sad and to see the owner on sideline with egg all on his face as this was billed the biggest game in Texans history. I feel the winds of change starting to blow.

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 02:12 PM
So, what you're saying is, despite reports that the Houston job is attractive to Cowher, you think it's going to take bells and whistles that McNair is not willing to pull out to get Cowher here, based on your own baseless preconceptions?

The only real evidence we have of whether Cowher can or will coach here is promising, despite the "it's too good to be true" crowd, such as yourself.

The biggest hurdle in getting Cowher here is getting Kubiak out of here.

You and a few others are taking some small little comment and running with it as if Cowher has come out and made several statements about wanting to come here. Cowher can coach anywhere, and if you think that it's "not" going to take bells and whistles to get him to whatever destination he eventually decides to go to if he even wants to coach right now, well then I think your opinion is naive here.

"One source close to Cowher believes the compensation could reach the $10 million-per-season range based on early indications."

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/23/bills-contact-cowher-about-head-coaching-job/

There has already been a few teams like the Browns that offered him a ton of money last off season to coach there and they went way out of their way to bring him there and he's quite familiar with that division obviously. He turned them down as well. Cowher will be calling all the shots as far as where he can or wants to go. It will take a lot of effort from whatever team that wants him to successfully get him there in a contract whether you want to believe that or not. There hasn't been any coach more sought after than Cowher in the last ten years.

And at the end of the day, I don't think that Mcnair will let go of Kubiak this year any way. If Mcnair is willing to jumpinto the Bill Cowher sweepstakes, I'd be stoked but only if he is going to go all out in it and throw some real money around, because that's what it's going to take.

LonerATO
11-24-2009, 02:22 PM
You and a few others are taking some small little comment and running with it as if Cowher has come out and made several statements about wanting to come here. Cowher can coach anywhere, si if you think that it's "not" going to take bells and whistles to get him to whatever destination he eventually decides to go to if he even wants to coach right now, well then I think your opinion is naive here. There has already been a few teams like the Browns that offered him a ton of money last off season to coach there and they went way out of their way to bring him there and he's quite familiar with that division obviously. He turned them down as well. Cowher will be calling all the shots as far as where he can or wants to go. It will take a lot of effort from whatever team that wants him to successfully get him there in a contract whether you want to believe that or not. There hasn't been any coach more sought after than Cowher in the last ten years.

And at the end of the day, I don't think that Mcnair will let go of Kubiak this year any way.

My only worry right now is going to be personal o-line and what kind of D would be run.

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 02:27 PM
My only worry right now is going to be personal o-line and what kind of D would be run.

If we could get Cowher here I wouldn't give a crap what he wanted to do with the team as far as blowing it up. His track record and success speaks for itself as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think he ever ran a ZBS system though. I could be wrong, but I don't think that was there running system when he was there.

And he'll most likely switch to a 3-4 to whatever team he goes to.

Jackie Chiles
11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
What is Kubiak's contract status right now? Does it end with the season or does he have another year left?

Jackie Chiles
11-24-2009, 02:37 PM
If we could get Cowher here I wouldn't give a crap what he wanted to do with the team as far as blowing it up. His track record and success speaks for itself as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think he ever ran a ZBS system though. I could be wrong, but I don't think that was there running system when he was there.

I agree. Plus I doubt the moves would be as painful as some people think. DeMeco and Cush would be the best 3-4 inside LB tandem in the league. Barwin is a great OLB prospect in that system. I believe Mario could be one of the best 3-4 DEs in the league (not sure how he would feel about that though) and he could probably play a little LBer as well. Still need a NT and some more D-linemen and a secondary but we of need those positions for our current defense anyway.

As far as the Oline goes I think we have our tackles regardless of system and thats more than half the battle.

LonerATO
11-24-2009, 02:37 PM

I worry about getting talent for a 3-4 now that so many teams are running it.

GuerillaBlack
11-24-2009, 02:39 PM
"One source close to Cowher believes the compensation could reach the $10 million-per-season range based on early indications."

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/23/bills-contact-cowher-about-head-coaching-job/

There has already been a few teams like the Browns that offered him a ton of money last off season to coach there and they went way out of their way to bring him there and he's quite familiar with that division obviously. He turned them down as well. Cowher will be calling all the shots as far as where he can or wants to go. It will take a lot of effort from whatever team that wants him to successfully get him there in a contract whether you want to believe that or not. There hasn't been any coach more sought after than Cowher in the last ten years.

And at the end of the day, I don't think that Mcnair will let go of Kubiak this year any way. If Mcnair is willing to jumpinto the Bill Cowher sweepstakes, I'd be stoked but only if he is going to go all out in it and throw some real money around, because that's what it's going to take.

C'mon man!! It's the BROWNS!! Do you know how much he would have had to start over if he took that job?? Sources have said that the Bears and Texans are places that excite him. That's part of the problem gone right there. Next, Cowher doesn't want to start from the ground up. Something he would have had to do with the Browns. Houston is his best chance at that. Chicago may be the more prominent city, but Houston's team is better and we aren't a small market either. The only thing we really need fixed is our O-Line, new stud DT, and a corner. We're set after that (after resigning Owen Daniels of course).

McNair threw around big bucks to get a team back into Houston. I'm sure he wants a winning franchise, so he'll throw money to get us a top-grade head coach in Bill Cowher.

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 02:40 PM

I don't. Not with Cowher here I don't. I think a lot of people would want to come play for Cowher and he would possibly be able to bring some of those Steelers players over here perhaps. The ones that aren't over the hill any way. Cowher knows what he is doing and even with the transitioning of changing a defense like that, I think he could have success at a really fast pace.

HOU-TEX
11-24-2009, 02:41 PM

Green Bay and Denver made a sooth transition to the 3-4 with basically the same players they ran the 4-3 with. IMO, it has more to do with the DC putting the available players in the best position to succeed. Which Capers and Nolan have done a pretty good job, IMO.

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 02:41 PM
C'mon man!! It's the BROWNS!! Do you know how much he would have had to start over if he took that job?? Sources have said that the Bears and Texans are places that excite him. That's part of the problem gone right there. Next, Cowher doesn't want to start from the ground up. Something he would have had to do with the Browns. Houston is his best chance at that. Chicago may be the more prominent city, but Houston's team is better and we aren't a small market either. The only thing we really need fixed is our O-Line, new stud DT, and a corner. We're set after that (after resigning Owen Daniels of course).

McNair threw around big bucks to get a team back into Houston. I'm sure he wants a winning franchise, so he'll throw money to get us a top-grade head coach in Bill Cowher.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll admit that it's nice to see that he's got some sort of interest, but the ball is officially now in Mcnair's court at this point. He's got to be the guy to scrap this current Kubiak experiment that hasn't worked and "sell" this franchise to Cowher and sell a vision for the future to him, and more importantly "spend the money." Wherever Cowher goes, he's most likely going to get one of the best contracts if not the best contract any HC has ever gotten in the NFL. Spending money to bring a franchise here is one thing. Breaking the bank and giving out probably the highest paid contract to a HC is another. Mcnair has never thrown around cash like that on a player before or ever expressed any desire to as far as what has ever been reported, so I'm not just going to assume that he would for Cowher. I'm not saying that he wouldn't either. Right now, I think he has to good of a relationship to get rid of Kubiak right now. I think Kubiak will do just enough to stay out of the dog house with Mcnair and he'll get another season. I hope I'm wrong about that though and he tries to get someone new. If we couldn't get Cowher, I'd be perfectly happy to bring in Mike Holmgren as well as either the GM or HC. If Holmgren was the GM, I'd be confident that he could find the right guy to coach that would mesh well with him as the GM. Holmgren would be a very nice constellation prize to Bill Cowher any day of the week. He's had very similar success and would be cheaper as well.

rollinstone18
11-24-2009, 03:09 PM
i thought the tone of monday's game was the most intense i've seen our guys play.

mussop
11-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't. Not with Cowher here I don't. I think a lot of people would want to come play for Cowher and he would possibly be able to bring some of those Steelers players over here perhaps. The ones that aren't over the hill any way. Cowher knows what he is doing and even with the transitioning of changing a defense like that, I think he could have success at a really fast pace.

I would rather be Pittsburg south than Denver south. :) I agree I dont think it would take Cowher long to get it turned around here.

Pollardized
11-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Wow never thought my post would get this many replies today!

Porky
11-24-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't like the 3/4. Capers ruined it for me. It's kind of like cherry tomatoes. I got a really rotten cherry tomato one time and I haven't touched one since. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I never want to take that chance again. Dom Capers 3/4 is that cherry tomato and I never want that taste in my mouth again.

I love Cohwer, but leave the 4/3 intact and continue to build out our D as it is currently structured. There is no need whatsoever to blow up the building when all it needs is a fresh coat of paint. :chef:

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't like the 3/4. Capers ruined it for me. It's kind of like cherry tomatoes. I got a really rotten cherry tomato one time and I haven't touched one since. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I never want to take that chance again. Dom Capers 3/4 is that cherry tomato and I never want that taste in my mouth again.

I love Cohwer, but leave the 4/3 intact and continue to build out our D as it is currently structured. There is no need whatsoever to blow up the building when all it needs is a fresh coat of paint. :chef:

You don't like the 3-4 defense just because Capers ran it bad in HOuston? That really makes a lot of sense, when there are a ton of teams that have ran it very well all over the league including the two best defenses every year in Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

nero THE zero
11-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Given the increasing popularity of the 3-4, there should be a surplus of 4-3 talent to be had at a discounted rate. For that reason alone, I'd prefer to stay in the 4-3. Add in the nature of our most talented defensive players, Mario and DeMeco specifically, and it's really a no-brainer.

That said, does anyone know what defense was run in Pittsburgh in the stint of LeBeau's absence, and by whom it was run?

LonerATO
11-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Given the increasing popularity of the 3-4, there should be a surplus of 4-3 talent to be had at a discounted rate. For that reason alone, I'd prefer to stay in the 4-3. Add in the nature of our most talented defensive players, Mario and DeMeco specifically, and it's really a no-brainer.

That said, does anyone know what defense was run in Pittsburgh in the stint of LeBeau's absence, and by whom it was run?

I believe it was a 4-3, but I will check with a friend of mine who is from Pittsburgh.

False Start
11-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Its simply not happening. That's why I never even let the thought of it happening enter my mind, and set myself up for a let down. I would so love to be wrong, but I doubt I am.

LonerATO
11-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Its simply not happening. That's why I never even let the thought of it happening enter my mind, and set myself up for a let down. I would so love to be wrong, but I doubt I am.

I agree

Thorn
11-24-2009, 05:59 PM
We've got six games left. The only way Kubiak ISN'T here next year is we lose four or five of them, and that's not going to happen. Face it, Kubiak is our head coach next year. Whether that's good, bad, or indifferent doesn't make a hill of beans. Might as well just accept it and go on.

Big Lou
11-24-2009, 05:59 PM
I admit I'm a Super Homer. I supported Capers because I think that coach needs at least 3 years to something going. Revolving Doors don't work. I did turn on Capers eventually.

I have always liked Kubes, and still do. I think he can do. However I would love to have Cowher. However it would take Cowher years to get this team to the playoffs. He'd gut the O-Line, have to draft a couple of RB's, and don't get me started on the 3-4. It would take a lot of Free Agency moves and several drafts to get this team where it would need to be for him to be succesful. So careful what you wish for.

The Texans need to go at least 9-7 this year or I will be be scared. I think Kubes/Smith deserve one more draft to put this together. After that I'll jump on the fire Kubiak band wagon.

P.S. This team lost it's two starting gaurds, a Pro Bowl TE, and it's run game. If this would have happened 3 years ago, we would be 2-8 right now.

TEXANRED
11-24-2009, 06:00 PM

I agree. However it is nice to think we would have a coach that would refuse to get beat down in his division year in and year out.

Thorn
11-24-2009, 06:02 PM
P.S. This team lost it's two starting gaurds, a Pro Bowl TE, and it's run game. If this would have happened 3 years ago, we would be 2-8 right now.

That's part of it, I'm sure, but not all of it. I do agree though with the bolded part.

gary
11-24-2009, 06:05 PM
I would just like to say a record below 8-8 and I think Gary will have an A to B conversation with the boss and then he'll C his way on out the door.

GuerillaBlack
11-24-2009, 06:07 PM
I admit I'm a Super Homer. I supported Capers because I think that coach needs at least 3 years to something going. Revolving Doors don't work. I did turn on Capers eventually.

I have always liked Kubes, and still do. I think he can do. However I would love to have Cowher. However it would take Cowher years to get this team to the playoffs. He'd gut the O-Line, have to draft a couple of RB's, and don't get me started on the 3-4. It would take a lot of Free Agency moves and several drafts to get this team where it would need to be for him to be succesful. So careful what you wish for.

The Texans need to go at least 9-7 this year or I will be be scared. I think Kubes/Smith deserve one more draft to put this together. After that I'll jump on the fire Kubiak band wagon.

How many years does it take? Seriously, this is Kubiak's FOURTH season. How much more time are we going to give him? If we go 8-8 this year, time for a new coach.

jaayteetx
11-24-2009, 06:14 PM
How many years does it take? Seriously, this is Kubiak's FOURTH season. How much more time are we going to give him? If we go 8-8 this year, time for a new coach.

You know Tom Landry didn't have a winning record until his 7th season? How things turn out for him and that team? So much pressure in todays game, sometimes ya let go of a good thing too early. Just ask the Browns.

eriadoc
11-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Honestly, I think the Rooneys have as much to do with the Steelers' success as any coach they've hired. The guy who interests me much more is Mike Holmgren.

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 06:18 PM

Would it really matter or make a difference if he were to go 9-7 instead of 8-8 in his 4th season? I don't see how that would make any big difference. If he can't go past 9-7 this season I think he should be axed. I don't want him back at all, but I could understand an improvement like 10-6 perhaps for wanting to keep the guy around.

gary
11-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Just fire everyone even the officer standing outside their lockeroom and the waterboy. Also, the cook's.

False Start
11-24-2009, 06:37 PM
I agree. However it is nice to think we would have a coach that would refuse to get beat down in his division year in and year out.

Yes it is, how sweet that would be. :cool:

It seems every year with the Texans there is a quote or rumor that is taken and run with. The Texans have yet to make that holt sh!+ acquisition. Until they start being serious contenders in acquiring great players and coaches, instead of just "rumored" to be interested, I take all these rumors and quotes with a grain of salt.

Norg
11-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Other then Shanhan or Cower what are some other names yall wouldnt mind ???? like under the radar guyz IF kubes had 2 go which i think he wont

gary
11-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Question for anyone of you. How much longer does Andy Reid have in Philly if they do not win the big game soon and does he fit the Texans style of play?

Norg
11-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Yes it is, how sweet that would be. :cool:

It seems every year with the Texans there is a quote or rumor that is taken and run with. The Texans have yet to make that holt sh!+ acquisition. Until they start being serious contenders in acquiring great players and coaches, instead of just "rumored" to be interested, I take all these rumors and quotes with a grain of salt.

We build through the Draft and Get Medium to small Price F/A to fill in the holes the same succuessfuly formula The steelers use

Kaiser Toro
11-24-2009, 06:46 PM
HC - Cowher
DC - Ron Rivera
OC - Mike Mularkey

Second Honeymoon
11-24-2009, 07:14 PM
We build through the Draft and Get Medium to small Price F/A to fill in the holes the same succuessfuly formula The steelers use

the Steelers have good coaching. big difference. we have bargain basement guys or red assed old dudes who think their s**t doesn't stink. Gibbs should be forced to talk to the media until he actually builds an OL that can run the ball on short yardage. You have to earn that level of eccentricity and privilege. He did well in Denver but this whole ZBS/'I'm a big puhcee' running game has to go.

Oh and can we please cut Myers? I did see Caldwell out there at times, thank freaking God. He must suck too to not beat out Myers but at least he is young and has an excuse. He might actually improve. Myers is total suckitude.

Silver Oak
11-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Steelers are battling for a playoff spot too, just like we are.

ya wanna revisit that "good coaching "thingy again?

False Start
11-24-2009, 08:04 PM

I agree with you on that, and its a good way to go. I would just like for the Texans to make a big move every once in awhile. I'm not talking making a big move just for the sake of doing it. If there was a big name player out on the FA market that fitted what the Texans needed at that point, it would just be nice to sing him.

Second Honeymoon
11-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Yes, the Texans need to make a big FA move. Our 'Reggie White with the Packers' type of move. Cowher could pull something like that off. Have Cowher come in and give him some money to work with to build a winner. 4-3 or 3-4. Okoye, Mario, and even Smith could play in a 3-4 alignment. They would need a NT but 2 of those 3 guys could be on the field but would probably mean one would have to go.

One things is for sure, Cowher wouldn't play scared like Kubiak does late in games. It is embarassing.

They had a timeout and :08 at the 31. Were they that worried about a turnover? Are you freaking kidding me. Why make your kicker take a 48 yarder to tie rather than try to make it easier or God forbid, take a shot deep. You have 8 seconds. And its not the first time he has played scared. It's like watching college football sometimes....just pathetic game management across the board.

Schaub needs to be held accountable too. You gotta be able to talk your HC out of stupid calls like that....and its not the first time he has been partly culpable in some of this game management. I am a huge Matt guy but he needs to take command in those situations. Getting the play off without calling the timeout is nice but if you are saving it to center the ball on the hashmarks? are you freaking kidding me. That cost us 10 seconds saving the timeout. Why save the timeout if Kubiak is going to just waste it.

Just simple simple football. Don't rely too much on your kicker especially if he has been kinda pants lately.

TEXANRED
11-24-2009, 09:25 PM
HC - Cowher
DC - Ron Rivera
OC - Mike Mularkey

My nipples just got hard.

Kaiser Toro
11-24-2009, 09:32 PM
How would Cowher message Brown missing Field Goals? From 11/7/2001

snippet:
Through misfortune, the Steelers and Brown might find out just how strong they are as they attempt to recover from the loss to the Ravens. Although he can't predict the future, Cowher believes he already knows a lot about how his team will react when it next takes the field Sunday in Cleveland.

"It's a close football team," he said. "It's a very supportive football team. It's a focused team. It's a team that works very hard and takes a lot of pride. They've done that since they left that locker room in San Diego (after the last game of the 2000 season).

"I don't sense any kind of chink in the armor. Games like this, you find out about yourself. You find out how real your confidence is. If we have strong fiber, we're not going to unravel."

Brown, who stood up to a bevy of cameras and questions Sunday, appeared on his radio show Monday night and dutifully fulfilled a speaking engagement 35 miles north of Pittsburgh on his day off yesterday, spent time among those events to sit down for a meaningful discussion with his coach.

Cowher suggested that Brown take holder Josh Miller, long snapper Mike Schneck and a bag of footballs and "get back on the bike."

"I told him," Cowher said, "I thought he should go over there (to Heinz Field this) afternoon, 3 (o'clock) or 3:30, empty stadium, about the same time (of Sunday's game). Go over there, same spot on the field and go kick."

Maybe it's a sign of progress for a team that remains in first place in the AFC Central, but the hot topic of conversation surrounding the Steelers these days is the kicker.

Not Stewart. Not the wide receivers. After all, the passing game has been one of the most consistent elements about the team the past two weeks. But the little guy from Nebraska who seldom gets his uniform dirty is suddenly the most discussed player on the team.

Cowher said yesterday that he has not lost confidence in Brown, who missed as many field goals in one game as he missed during his entire rookie season in 1999.

"I'd be surprised if there are any lingering effects from it," Cowher said. "I can't foresee the future, but I know my confidence in him is not going to vary. If we get the ball to the 30-yard line, to me that's a minimum of three points.

"He's a very strong-minded guy. I have a lot of confidence in him. Sunday has not hindered my confidence in him at all."

Brown came into the game with a career 84.7 percent success rate on field goals. There has been speculation that the wind at Heinz Field or the deflected field goal earlier in the game might have affected him.

Cowher doubts that the wind was the major factor, and he said that Brown rejected the latter theory.

"The wind situation, I don't look at that as much as what effect did the block have?" Cowher said. "In Kris' mind, it had none. He had a very positive outlook everytime he went out there. It was just one of those things."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_2735.html

axman40
11-24-2009, 09:44 PM
uh 8-8 = winning season?
:kitten:

Kaiser Toro
11-24-2009, 09:55 PM
more.... from 1/24/2002

In the weeks since, when the Steelers were at home, Brown practiced at Heinz Field instead of the Steelers' practice facility.

Coach Bill Cowher, a former special-teams coach, had Brown attempt four field goals each day during unspecified points in practice, a trick he learned from the former Giants kicker Matt Bahr.

''It's been that kind of year,'' Brown said. ''I've hit some good kicks that just haven't gone through. The field, it presents challenges. It's been good going over there. Just from a mental standpoint, it's not the first time I've been there all week.''

Even during his worst stretch Brown enjoyed the support of his teammates. During the game against the Jets in early December, when Brown missed two field-goal attempts and an extra point, quarterback Kordell Stewart stood on the sideline, waving a towel, trying to encourage fans to cheer rather than boo when Brown went back on the field.

''I've been that lone ranger, that lonely, lonely ranger,'' Stewart said. ''I didn't have that support you would like to have.''

Last week against the Ravens, Brown made two of three field goals, missing a 35-yarder but making a 46-yarder. It was good enough to exorcise whatever demons might have lingered from the regular season.

''It was good therapy for me, I know that,'' Cowher said. ''He really has kicked the ball well. Even the one that he missed, that was probably the best kick of the three, to be honest with you. The first one wasn't the greatest looking ball that went through, but it went through. I think he's fine. I think he's back, I really do.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/24/sports/pro-football-place-kickers-at-heinz-field-living-in-a-swirl-of-trouble.html

Second Honeymoon
11-24-2009, 09:58 PM
uh 8-8 = winning season?

it seems like it to some people.
it has gotten less losing but its not a winning team.

Big Lou
11-24-2009, 10:05 PM
uh 8-8 = winning season?

Well it's not a losing season I guess.

Although I'm growing impatient, I would rather have a team go 8-8 for three years with steady improvement in talent, and then have multiple years in the playoffs the go from the cellar to the playoffs back to the cellar for five years.

I think 15 years ago before the instant information age, we wouldn't have questioned as much, and more people would be happy with Kubiak.

I say give him one more year. If we cut him loose, and we were to go like 4-12, we'd always be looking back saying "maybe they were close with Kubiak".

Texan4Ever
11-24-2009, 10:08 PM
IDK why, but I would sure as hell love to see Cushing and Barwin play in a 3-4defense under Ron Rivera!

Lucky
11-24-2009, 11:21 PM
I love Cohwer, but leave the 4/3 intact...
At this point, I could not care less what the Texans are schematically. I don't care if they are a 4-3, a 3-4, or any other number. I don't care if they run the freakin' wishbone. Just win. And that has a hellava lot more to do with attitude and determination that anything in a playbook.

Kubiak has 6 games to save his arse. I understand why fans (and the players) like Gary Kubiak. Hell, I like Gary Kubiak. I just don't believe in him as a head coach, any longer. He has 6 games to change the perception that he can't get this team over the hump. Another meaningless late season mini streak after elimination won't cut it. Kubiak's back is firmly against the wall.

I have no idea if the Texans have a shot at Bill Cowher. But if Bob McNair wants to become a great owner, he has to find out. And that's by writing the biggest check Cowher will see, to go with the most control of a franchise that is possible. McNair has to put it all on the line in pursuit of a coach that will give his franchise instant credibility. Let's find out if Bob McNair wants to become a champion.

silvrhand
11-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Steelers are battling for a playoff spot too, just like we are.

ya wanna revisit that "good coaching "thingy again?

Steelers are not the same defense they are when they have Polamalo (spelling) in it all's dick lebeau to dial up a lot more exotic blitzes..

AnthonyE
11-25-2009, 01:45 AM

No doubt about this.

Two weeks ago, Kubiak was the man. Two losses later. People are shouting Bill Cowher's name. Just remember this: The Texans are two missed field goals away from being 6-3.

GuerillaBlack
11-25-2009, 02:53 AM
No doubt about this.

Two weeks ago, Kubiak was the man. Two losses later. People are shouting Bill Cowher's name. Just remember this: The Texans are two missed field goals away from being 6-3.

Not really. We would have to win it in overtime. Still, we're not 6-3, but 5-5. This team is too frustrating. We only had one real blowout loss. Every other loss has came from the one-yard line or a missed field goal. Such a shame.

AnthonyE
11-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Not really. We would have to win it in overtime. Still, we're not 6-3, but 5-5. This team is too frustrating. We only had one real blowout loss. Every other loss has came from the one-yard line or a missed field goal. Such a shame.

Hm. Let me say 3 missed field goals then.

EDIT: And yeah. I'll probably die at 40 thanks to all these years the Texans are shaving off of my life.

Silver Oak
11-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Hm. Let me say 3 missed field goals then.

EDIT: And yeah. I'll probably die at 40 thanks to all these years the Texans are shaving off of my life.

count yourself lucky as not having to have spent your childhood following the Houston Suck...err...Houston Oilers.

Kaiser Toro
11-25-2009, 08:09 AM
And that's by writing the biggest check Cowher will see, to go with the most control of a franchise that is possible. McNair has to put it all on the line in pursuit of a coach that will give his franchise instant credibility. Let's find out if Bob McNair wants to become a champion.

I am kind of concerned about this, as I want Cowher as a coach or hybrid, not FO only. As I recall he was pimping Russ Grimm pretty hard a couple of years ago and don't want a rookie in the FO (Cowher), with total control, and as head coach (Grimm) again.

What I do like about Cowher is that Rooney background and some of the characteristics that come with their model - shrewd, build through the draft, loyalty, community. Kind of smells like where we are with the Texans.

Kaiser Toro
11-25-2009, 08:18 AM
As an aside the Kubiak hot seat talk has officially gone national with Clayton yesterday and Mortensen today, which makes me happy. Now we will see if these players want to play for Kubiak.

TimeKiller
11-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Texans D as a 34?

Smith-Okoye-Mario
Barwin-Cushing-Ryans-Diles
1st round pick-Pollard-Quin-Reeves

That's kind of ugly. No, that's awful. Some interesting shuffling would have to take place and the mythical "space eating" DT would definitely be a priority. Casey Hampton following Cowher? What?! As long as were going down hypothetical situations.....maybe like:

Smith-Hampton-Okoye
Barwin-Cushing-Ryans-Williams
Quin-Pollard-Taylor Mays-Reeves

That would be fun.

Pollardized
11-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Wow, 105 replies and no REP at all!!!! I must be doing something wrong here...... lol

Kaiser Toro
11-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Wow, 105 replies and no REP at all!!!! I must be doing something wrong here...... lol

Probably because it is a rehashed subject. I just merged all of the Cowher threads into SO's HC possibilities thread.

Pollardized
11-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Probably because it is a rehashed subject. I just merged all of the Cowher threads into a SO's HC possibilities thread.

I hear ya Toro. I was just being a smart butt!!!!!

You gotta admit, it's a hot topic though...

Kaiser Toro
11-25-2009, 08:25 AM
I hear ya Toro. I was just being a smart butt!!!!!

You gotta admit, it's a hot topic though...

As it should be, but I do hope Kubiak can pull through.

This thread has been "stuck" at the top

Pollardized
11-25-2009, 08:30 AM
I have hoped for nothing but the best for Kubiak. He's a good man who deserves the chance to succeed. I'm just really starting to worry about the game management and play calling. And, as someone posted before, we play "scared" too much at the end of games. Like Oakland and San Francisco. We looked like we were playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. I just really want to see us go for the jugular some time.

mussop
11-25-2009, 08:47 AM
IND @ HOU IND 10-0 = L Only chance is they overlook us.
HOU @ JAC JAC 6-4 4-1 @ home = L We have a chance but we'll see.
SEA @ HOU SEA 3-7 = W or bye bye Kubiack
HOU @ STL STL 1-9 = W or bye bye Kubiack
HOU @ MIA MIA 5-5 3-2 home = Even Should win IMO but not a gimme.
NE @ HOU NE 7-3 1-3 road but playing for a playoff spot. = L

I think Kubiak is gone. We have 3 games against good teams and 3 games against bad teams. Most likely we finish those 6 games 3 and 3. Is 8-8 really good enough for this team? NO!

First off for Kubiak to keep his job we must beat Seattle and St Louis. Losses to either of those teams would show lack of focus and a need to go in another direction IMO and i'll bet McNair feels the same. Add to that no more than 2 losses in the other 4 games.

In other words Kubiack needs to win 4 out of the next six to keep his job IMO. There is no way McNair brings him back if we go less than 9-7 with a coach like Cowher out there saying hes interested. And 9-7 might get him gone under the right circumstances.

His best shot at staying really rest on 4 specific games. Seattle, St Louis, Miami and Jacksonville. Pull ALL those out and theres a chance. I dont see us winning at Indy or against NE whos in a playoff hunt.

You guys think what you want but come Saturday, im going to start scouting 3/4 defensive players for next years draft.

mussop
11-25-2009, 08:55 AM

You rep whore! :)

Pollardized
11-25-2009, 09:27 AM
You rep whore! :)

LMAO! Rather be a rep whore than a Vince Young nut hanger..... I mean, Jon Gruden... I used to like him, and thought he would be a good fit for us. After Monday might, NO WAY. I think he was auditioning for the Titans job should Jeff Fisher part ways with Bud.