PDA

View Full Version : OL LB Eligible?

Yankee_In_TX
09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Can someone explain that to me, and why it happened at least a few times everies Jets series?

Thanks.

BSofA04
09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Can someone explain that to me, and why it happened at least a few times everies Jets series?

Thanks.

When the Jets were on offense and #78 reported eligible?

texasguy346
09-14-2009, 02:41 PM
If you are talking about the Jets using an extra OL as a TE making him an eligible receiver then they certainly did do that quite a bit. If you remember the Ravens game last year when Rex Ryan was the DC they, too, used an extra offensive lineman as a TE. For the Ravens it seemed they used it to help make their running game even more dominant. The Jets seemed to be using it both for some passing and running plays. I recall one play where they had #78 out wide almost like a WR only to put him in motion back to the formation before snapping the ball.

Yankee_In_TX
09-14-2009, 03:29 PM
If you are talking about the Jets using an extra OL as a TE making him an eligible receiver then they certainly did do that quite a bit. If you remember the Ravens game last year when Rex Ryan was the DC they, too, used an extra offensive lineman as a TE. For the Ravens it seemed they used it to help make their running game even more dominant. The Jets seemed to be using it both for some passing and running plays. I recall one play where they had #78 out wide almost like a WR only to put him in motion back to the formation before snapping the ball.

It was so freakin' often I didn't understand why they kept using him, unless he's that great on both sides of the ball...

texasguy346
09-14-2009, 03:45 PM
It was so freakin' often I didn't understand why they kept using him, unless he's that great on both sides of the ball...

Are you saying they used #78 on the defensive side of the ball too? I didn't see that. Perhaps I didn't notice him on defense, but he's listed as an OL on their website. (http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/player/1315-wayne-hunter)

76Texan
09-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Are you saying they used #78 on the defensive side of the ball too? I didn't see that. Perhaps I didn't notice him on defense, but he's listed as an OL on their website. (http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/player/1315-wayne-hunter)
It says right there on that website:

Used by Jets on special teams and as an extra tight end on offense.

texasguy346
09-14-2009, 04:13 PM
It says right there on that website:

Used by Jets on special teams and as an extra tight end on offense.

I know he was used as a tight end since I saw that in the game. I just didn't see him in on defense which is what I thought Yankee was referring to when he said "both sides of the ball"

Yankee_In_TX
09-14-2009, 04:14 PM
I know he was used as a tight end since I saw that in the game. I just didn't see him in on defense which is what I thought Yankee was referring to when he said "both sides of the ball"

LOL, did they just mis-number him?

76Texan
09-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Yankee was probably thinking of some D-guy that some other teams put in on offense to block like Vrabel or to block/run like the Fridge William Perry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Perry_(American_football)#Athletic_career

Perry became famous for his prowess as a defensive lineman. In addition, Perry was used as a fullback when his team was near the opponents' goal line or 4th and short situations, either as a ball carrier or a lead blocker for running back Walter Payton. During his rookie season, Perry rushed for 2 touchdowns and caught a pass for one. Perry was once used in a surprise play during a Pro Bowl game as an offensive lineman.

Perry even had the opportunity to run the ball during Super Bowl XX, as a nod to his popularity and contributions to the team's success. The first time he got the ball, he was tackled for a one-yard loss while attempting to throw his first NFL pass on a halfback option play. But the second time he got the ball, he scored a touchdown; as a result, Walter Payton was denied an easy scoring opportunity.