PDA

View Full Version : Horse collar?

DerekLee1
09-14-2009, 02:19 PM
I'd almost forgotten about this in all the other disgust, but since when does a horse collar tackle penalty not apply when it's on the quarterback?

DiehardChris
09-14-2009, 02:20 PM
I'd almost forgotten about this in all the other disgust, but since when does a horse collar tackle penalty not apply when it's on the quarterback?

According to the announcers, it doesn't apply when the QB is inside the pocket, or the tackle box - I don't remember which. I didn't realize that either.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2009, 02:21 PM

It wasn't a horse collar tackle, that's why

SDJetsFan
09-14-2009, 02:26 PM
They had a discussion about it on our board about this. Here's what one guy said.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3252504

Well, wikipedia might have something that works in this case

"The ban states that a horse-collar tackle is an open-field tackle in which a defender uses the shoulder pads or jersey to immediately bring a ball carrier down. The term "open field" means that horse-collar tackles committed near the line of scrimmage will be allowed; in addition, the stipulation of "immediately bringing the ball carrier down" means that, if a defender begins to bring a player down by the shoulder pads but lets go before the tackle is completed, he will not be penalized.[citation needed]"

With that said, it's a bull**** rule. It's just as dangerous behind the LOS as it is in the open field. Why the exception?

Reply:
The point of the rule is if you are moving forward and are yanked back by the collar you can get a neck injury because momentum is going forward and your head will jerk backwards. If you are pushed down while standing still and you let go, like the Schuab play, you aren't as open to that injury.
__

Vinny
09-14-2009, 02:28 PM
You have grab a person who is moving forward and use your body to drag him down...then it is a horsecollar tackle.

blitz90
09-14-2009, 02:30 PM
From what I understand the player has to be moving forward for it to be called a 'horse-collar'. Schaub wasn't moving forward, he was pretty much a statue on that play.

DiehardChris
09-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Ever since the rule went into effect, the league has been VERY inconsistent with the way they implement it. The flag has been thrown before when a defender simply pulls the ball-carrier TOWARD him self to catch up - not even dragged to the ground... and it's been thrown when a defender "slings" a player to the ground using the back of his shoulder pads, where he did NOT use his body weight to bring the player down.

So, whatever the rule is - the league got it wrong many times last year. I wonder if that's something they worked on this offseason.