PDA

View Full Version : BUT BUT BUT....It's only preseason....gag.

Carr Bombed
09-14-2009, 03:51 AM
I swear to god......I'm going off on the next ***** who tries to play the "preseason" card! Y'all can keep that crap to yourselves. Everything we watched and worried about during this preseason happened. But but but..

We got gashed for runs......Slaton is FAT (ignore it all yall want).....and we can't stop the run.

The Lions going 4-0 last preseason was the worst thing that could've happened....because it caused IDIOTS to reference that crap....which is sad

Vinny
09-14-2009, 03:56 AM
the league knows we are soft.

“What we want to do is get hands on them and be physical,” linebacker Bart Scott said. “That's how you beat a finesse team.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/6617303.html

Carr Bombed
09-14-2009, 04:00 AM

Yep.....we're soft

no denying it.

Carr Bombed
09-14-2009, 04:07 AM
where the hell are all the "preseason" dopes....

Slaton can't carry his own weight

Vinny
09-14-2009, 04:16 AM
where the hell are all the "preseason" dopes?

Show yourselves, I mean...but...

most of them are asleep. I'd be asleep also but I just cleaned up the .com's board and it took a little too much time reading different versions of "my post can beat up your post", to suit my tastes tonight. A few meanies and first time cussers tickling the keyboards tonight. :photos:

GNTLEWOLF
09-14-2009, 04:19 AM
I swear to god......I'm going off on the next ***** who tries to play the "preseason" card! Y'all can keep that crap to yourselves. Everything we watched and worried about during this preseason happened. But but but..

We got gashed for runs......Slaton is FAT (ignore it all yall want).....and we can't stop the run.

The Lions going 4-0 last preseason was the worst thing that could've happened....because it caused IDIOTS to reference that crap....which is sad

Thank you for saying what I have been thinking so well:goodpost:

ATXtexanfan
09-14-2009, 06:23 AM

Offense and defense if you ask me.

CloakNNNdagger
09-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Offense and defense if you ask me.

I was one of "them" that was flamed for criticiziing the"preseason" argument; Dunta's motivations and remaining abilities-to-money ratio; bad, soft-looking, non-tackling D; STs play; Slaton's weight gain-to-perfomance ratio; schaub's injury readiness and overall ability to lead this offense; the team's discipline (poor execution, penalties and taunting????) in general and it's contribution assigned to the coach; the play calling by the O.............It's time to see what is there..........NOT what we all WANT to see...........that does not make for bad fans..........just realistic ones. :texflag:

gtexan02
09-14-2009, 08:52 AM
yikes, how many of these threads are we going to have now?

thunderkyss
09-14-2009, 09:12 AM

We did not get run on the way New Orleans & Minnesota ran on us. We stopped the run up the middle, on all but two plays, and they tried to run up the gut a lot more than that.

Pass defense sucked. That's a hold over from the pre-season, that we don't seem to have done much about. & our pass rush looked worse than it did in the pre-season.

Offensively, our starters looked much worse than it did in the preseason. Our pass pro looked much worse. I don't think there was anything this pre-season, that hinted our passing game was going to be so inept.

Running the ball..... yep. We're still making the same mistakes that killed our running game for the last two years. But for some reason the coaches can't get a hold of it. & the fans blast the only two linemen that are doing what they're supposed to be doing, Myers & Briesel.

I still agree, that Wins & Losses don't mean squat in the pre-season. But if you're not playing good fundamental football (i.e. tackling) then that is the time to address it. We didn't.

HJam72
09-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Preseason and the first game of the season don't mean anything. :gun:

TimeKiller
09-14-2009, 09:42 AM

Well, me I guess. I wasn't terrified because I thought we had some guys that could play real football when real football started up....I swear we used to have a guy named Andre Johnson on the team. And an Oline that was starting to look up.

JamesC
09-14-2009, 10:10 AM
A finesse football team should be an oxymoron.

Speedy
09-14-2009, 11:53 AM
The only dopes are people who think pre-season football=regular season football. It's not the same game.

The Texans sucked yesterday because they suck, not because they sucked in pre-season where 22-25 or so players played who were not on the team Sunday.

The pre-season isn't a precursor to anything no matter how much the Texans make it seem that way.

DiehardChris
09-14-2009, 11:56 AM
NEWSFLASH - the Texans have been soft for three seasons now. Maybe more. Nothing new. If you are soft and you lose, you're soft. If you're soft and you somehow win 8 games two years in a row - you're a finesse team.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2009, 12:22 PM
most of them are asleep. I'd be asleep also but I just cleaned up the .com's board and it took a little too much time reading different versions of "my post can beat up your post", to suit my tastes tonight. A few meanies and first time cussers tickling the keyboards tonight. :photos:

"tickling the keyboards" Ha, that's pretty funny. :spit:

:includeme:

Texecutioner
09-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Unfortunately we were right about how Slaton was looking. Not only has his burst looked slow, but the guy isn't finding holes and is dancing around for some reason now. Hopefully he turns it around though. Unfortunately I doubt it happens against the Titans.

Beer and Metal
09-14-2009, 01:12 PM
A finesse football team should be an oxymoron.

Agreed.

That's like saying "cut-throat synchronized swimming" or "smashmouth ballet".

m5kwatts
09-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I thought the defense looked a worlds better on 1st and 2nd down compared to preseason...3rd down not so much

Wolf6151
09-14-2009, 01:27 PM

Slaton's poor performance had more to do with the O-line than Slaton himself. Our O-line sucks. I agree with you about the folks that claim "it's only preseason" as an excuse for poor play. If you practice like crap your going to play like crap. This game was an embarassment. They had 6 weeks to prepare for this game and knew last year that the O-line sucked but did nothing to fix it. This loss is on the coaching staff, very poor preperation.

m5kwatts
09-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Slaton's poor performance had more to do with the O-line than Slaton himself. Our O-line sucks. I agree with you about the folks that claim "it's only preseason" as an excuse for poor play. If you practice like crap your going to play like crap. This game was an embarassment. They had 6 weeks to prepare for this game and knew last year that the O-line sucked but did nothing to fix it. This loss is on the coaching staff, very poor preperation.

Where the hell is Slaton supposed to run when 300 pound lineman are breathing down his neck as soon as the ball is snapped?

Carr Bombed
09-14-2009, 05:50 PM

Slaton doesn't have the burst he had last year......he packed on almost 20 pounds and at that weight he's just a average running back. Slaton is responsible for his crappy performance just like the Oline is. He also danced in the backfield and didn't hit the hole, that's the reason why as soon as Chris Brown got the ball, he was able to run better.

Carr Bombed
09-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Where the hell is Slaton supposed to run when 300 pound lineman are breathing down his neck as soon as the ball is snapped?

How about up the middle and not dancing around in the backfield....how about the same place Chris Brown ran?

m5kwatts
09-14-2009, 06:08 PM
How about up the middle and not dancing around in the backfield....how about the same place Chris Brown ran?

Watch all Brown's runs, he had better blocking. Believe me dude I had this same thought and rewound it on my DVR. Brown had way better blocking on his runs.

Carr Bombed
09-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Watch all Brown's runs, he had better blocking. Believe me dude I had this same thought and rewound it on my DVR. Brown had way better blocking on his runs.

:rolleyes:

Yep the Oline just decided to do their jobs when Brown came into the game..........just like they did during preseason.

m5kwatts
09-14-2009, 06:14 PM

Yep the Oline just decided to do their jobs when Brown came into the game..........just like they did during preseason.

No, the plays were better calls than the Jets defensive plays those 3 times. Brown actually had holes to run through. Slaton had 300 pound lineman to run through.

Carr Bombed
09-14-2009, 06:18 PM
No, the plays were better calls than the Jets defensive plays those 3 times. Brown actually had holes to run through. Slaton had 300 pound lineman to run through.

Slaton had holes if he ran with authority, instead he danced in the backfied and has clearly lost a step due to his weight gain.....nobody needs to make excuses for his crappy play.

m5kwatts
09-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Slaton had holes if he ran with authority, instead he danced in the backfied and has clearly lost a step due to his weight gain.....nobody needs to make excuses for his crappy play.

What game tape are you looking at? What holes did Slaton have? Your the anti-Myers bandwagon driver, did you not notice him and Pitts laying on their asses in our backfield before Slaton was handed the ball?

Porky
09-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Granted it was a small sample size, but Chris Brown just flat outplayed Slaton yet got all of 3 carries? Where the hell was this coaching staff? Were they at the game? Someone call Kubes on the damn cell phone and wake his ass up. He is flat out asleep at the wheel. Why the hell can't we get a coach that acts like is freaking even aware of what the hell is going on.

Carr Bombed
09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
What game tape are you looking at? What holes did Slaton have? Your the anti-Myers bandwagon driver, did you not notice him and Pitts laying on their asses in our backfield before Slaton was handed the ball?

umm......what game tape am I looking at???? How about the actual damn game, you now the game were Slaton got outplayed by his backup and played like crap, stop being a freaking homer.

m5kwatts
09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
umm......what game tape am I looking at???? How about the actual damn game, you now the game were Slaton got outplayed by his backup and played like crap, stop being a freaking homer.

Homer? Our line was horrible and so was our coaching? Wheres the homerism?

imatexan
09-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I posted this in ANOTHER thread that is just like this.

This game has nothing todo with our pre-season games.

In pre-season it was our D that looked horrible and our offense that looked promising.

That is not what happend in yesterdays game, enough with this pre-season drama talk.

Marcus
09-14-2009, 08:53 PM

In pre-season it was our D that looked horrible and our offense that looked promising.

That is not what happend in yesterdays game, enough with this pre-season drama talk.

BS.

All of you "it's just preseason" dopes are nitpicking. Whenever someone tried to express a concern about anything during the preseason, we got this "it's just preseason" crap.

Try that BS next preseason . . . :goodluck:

thunderkyss
09-14-2009, 09:03 PM

You watched it on your DVR. The holes I saw on my DVR, that Brown ran through were no bigger than the holes Slaton didn't run through. Brown made a decision, got skinny & ran North. Steve never did. Brown also has the benefit of being able to break arm tackles.

Not saying Steve wasn't strong last year, but that was a different guy on the field last night. If you think for whatever reason that all the good plays happened to be called when Brown was in the game... then there's got to be a little Homerism in there.

I said a little.

You were wrong then, and you're wrong now. For example.... Seminole. The announcers were expecting it. We weren't. Miami came in here with that crap on their way to 11-5. But we stopped it here at Reliant. Why? because we were prepared.

& the run blocking in the Preseason was pathetic. They did not correct that problem.

& Cotton hurt his ankle in the last preseason game. After the offense looked "promising".

m5kwatts
09-14-2009, 09:11 PM
You watched it on your DVR. The holes I saw on my DVR, that Brown ran through were no bigger than the holes Slaton didn't run through. Brown made a decision, got skinny & ran North. Steve never did. Brown also has the benefit of being able to break arm tackles.

Not saying Steve wasn't strong last year, but that was a different guy on the field last night. If you think for whatever reason that all the good plays happened to be called when Brown was in the game... then there's got to be a little Homerism in there.

I said a little.

You were wrong then, and you're wrong now. For example.... Seminole. The announcers were expecting it. We weren't. Miami came in here with that crap on their way to 11-5. But we stopped it here at Reliant. Why? because we were prepared.

& the run blocking in the Preseason was pathetic. They did not correct that problem.

& Cotton hurt his ankle in the last preseason game. After the offense looked "promising".

I agree Slaton was bad yesterday but Brown for durability purposes should remain the 2nd back. And I'm just not on this Slaton is fat and will have a horrible year this year bandwagon, I think by years end his YPC with be at or around where it was last year.

thunderkyss
09-14-2009, 09:33 PM
I agree Slaton was bad yesterday but Brown for durability purposes should remain the 2nd back. And I'm just not on this Slaton is fat and will have a horrible year this year bandwagon, I think by years end his YPC with be at or around where it was last year.

In no way do I want to increase Browns work load. Not until December, when games really count. Well, for teams that are in the race anyway.

I'm still a Slaton fan, and would rather we fix our run blocking issues than fix Slaton.

In the meantime, I'd start Moats. If he's just going to follow Leach anyways... why not?

dickieb
09-14-2009, 11:30 PM
I guess with Slaton the coaches encourage the old military/government motto - "if it ain't broke fix it till it is". I am not a fan of the added weight to Slaton - it's supposed to make him more durable but he wasn't injured or injury prone last year. If anything it slows him down and makes him eaiser to catch from behind increasing the chances of injury. His chances avoiding injury increase if the defense can't catch him.

imatexan
09-14-2009, 11:35 PM
BS.

All of you "it's just preseason" dopes are nitpicking. Whenever someone tried to express a concern about anything during the preseason, we got this "it's just preseason" crap.

Try that BS next preseason . . . :goodluck:

You could have your concerns but pre-season was different.

Now this is the real deal and we saw something completely different from our team, unfortunately what we got was something worse than we saw in pre-season.

Vinny
09-14-2009, 11:36 PM
In no way do I want to increase Browns work load. Not until December, when games really count. Well, for teams that are in the race anyway.
Th NFL isn't like baseball where you have a bunch of games then a bunch of games that "mean something" later. The MLB is a marathon and the NFL is a sprint. All the games are important from the early games to the late games. One thing that makes this league so special (NCAA football also) is the fact that there is little margin for error and the season is so short that you can't afford to mail in any games. Hell, I could argue the early games are more important than the late games because if you aren't playing for something late in the year, what's the point?

thunderkyss
09-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Th NFL isn't like baseball where you have a bunch of games then a bunch of games that "mean something" later. The MLB is a marathon and the NFL is a sprint. All the games are important from the early games to the late games. One thing that makes this league so special (NCAA football also) is the fact that there is little margin for error and the season is so short that you can't afford to mail in any games. Hell, I could argue the early games are more important than the late games because if you aren't playing for something late in the year, what's the point?

Yet every team is going to a RBBC approach to extend the life & effectiveness of their running backs.

Carr Bombed
09-15-2009, 03:01 AM

LOL....LMAO..LOLOLLOLOL

seriously, the line was the same when Brown came into the game.

Bipolar The Titan
09-15-2009, 08:48 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html?eref=sihpT1

Were you guys as surprised as I was to see who SI picked to win the AFCS? :fans:

I was surprised by that.

I honestly think the Texans will do better this week but the Titans are coming off a loss to the world champs... and of course that game went to overtime. It was a huge let down, never mind the fact that the Titans had a dropped td and two missed fg tries... there was an opprotunity to win and they blew it.

I expect the Titans to take their frustration out on the Texans.

Also, as you will see Sunday, Slaton will not have the success against the Tennessee run d he enjoyed last season. The Texans are going to look one dimensional in the respect that they won't run to set up the pass rather they will pass as a product of abandoning the run.

Unless there are batted/tipped balls or interceptions the Texans should make a game of it into the 3rd quarter, but I believe they are going to be playing from behind and that Tennessee will pound the rock and run down the clock and ultimately win the t.o.p.

I predict that the victory will be decisive but short of a blowout. The box score stats will likely be more telling than the final score.

HoustonFrog
09-15-2009, 09:19 AM

The problem is that the preseason is meaningless goes back WAY longer than this. I heard this stuff as a kid in the 70s and the !989 Cowboys went 4-0 before 1-16 and the 90s SB teams went 1-4 and 0-4 in preseasons and won SBs. It is a matter of talent and if your scheme is in place already. If you have the pieces and need to get young guys work it is meaningless. If you are still gelling and need to work on alot, then for some teams it can be productive.

stingray
09-20-2009, 05:37 PM
BUT BUT BUT... The sky is falling.. gag...

Carr Bombed
09-20-2009, 05:40 PM
BUT BUT BUT... The sky is falling.. gag...

We still can't run the ball and we're still making horrible defensive mistakes...just like preseason

Don't really see the point in bumping this thread. Even you can't deny we were lucky to win the game......it's not like we beat the crap out of the Titans.

But yeah, I'll gladly be wrong on this subject any day and I love the win today.

stingray
09-20-2009, 05:43 PM
We still can't run the ball and we're still making horrible decisions on defense...

Don't really see the point in bumping this thread. Even you can't deny we were lucky to win the game......it's not like we beat the crap out of the Titans.

But yeah, I'll gladly be wrong on this subject any day and I love the win today.

Whatever bro... we got beat by a team last week that looks dominate.. Might be the best D in the league. We didn't beat the crap out of the titans but we won on the road and that is what counts. I'm not saying we're going to the superbowl. But Like I always said, preseaon is NOT a measuring stick. And yeah, the Lions did go 4-0 last year in pre-season.

Carr Bombed
09-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Whatever bro... we got beat by a team last week that looks dominate.. Might be the best D in the league. We didn't beat the crap out of the titans but we won on the road and that is what counts. I'm not saying we're going to the superbowl. But Like I always said, preseaon is NOT a measuring stick. And yeah, the Lions did go 4-0 last year in pre-season.

"Whatever bro" :rolleyes:

If you're going to bump this thread, how about you quote what I said in my post...

Let's see...

Gashed for runs....yeah, that happened AGAIN (Do you really want me to pull up C. Johnson's stats?)

and Steve Slaton still looks like crap and we still can't run the ball.......JUST like preseason.

(Granted the last sentence in that quote was mostly out of anger, but after that Jets game (that I went too) could you really blame me?)

When that changes please bump this thread, oh.......and I really do hope I see this thread get bumped then, because that will mean we fixed alot of MAJOR problems on this team. Seriously, I pray we fix those problems

Like I said above though.......glad we got the victory, I'll take that any way our team can get it, but it still doesn't change the fact that Houston made costly mistakes today that'll cause them to lose the majority of the time. We still have ALOT to work on....alot of mistakes to clean up.

stingray
09-20-2009, 06:05 PM
"Whatever bro" :rolleyes:

If you're going to bump this thread, how about you quote what I said in my post...

Let's see...

Gashed for runs....yeah, that happened (Do you really want me to pull up C. Johnson's stats?)

and Steve Slaton still looks like crap and we still can't run the ball.......JUST like preseason.

When that changes please bump this thread, oh.......and I really do hope I see this thread get bumped then, because that will mean we fixed alot of MAJOR problems on this team. Seriously, I pray we fix those problems

Like I said above though.......glad we got the victory, I'll take that any way our team can get it. We still have ALOT to work on.

Steve slaton doesn't look like crap, the run blocking looks like crap because no back could get any yards with the holes he is getting. Chris brown didn't do crap either behind those tiny holes.

And you know what, I'm not really worried about the run defense, because what the texans gave up on those long runs can probably be fixed with adjustments and concentration. I would have been alot more worried if the Texans gave up 7 yrd average on 25 plays than giving up the three big plays by Johnson. But I think the talent is finally there to stop the run. And no other back we face this year will have the breakaway speed Chris Johnson had. I really feel much better about out run defense so far than I did last year.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 06:10 PM
We still can't run the ball and we're still making horrible defensive mistakes...just like preseason

Yes, we were extremely lucky to rack up 360 passing yards with 4 TDs no interceptions, and no sacks against one of the premier defenses in the league.

Extremely lucky. Since we have no running game to speak of.

ATXtexanfan
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Carr bombed is taking the keys out of everyone's hands, that's all

stingray
09-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Carr bombed is taking the keys out of everyone's hands, that's all

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb167/ray9175/debbiedowner.jpg

Carr Bombed
09-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Steve slaton doesn't look like crap, the run blocking looks like crap because no back could get any yards with the holes he is getting. Chris brown didn't do crap either behind those tiny holes.

LOL, you've got to be kidding... He played like crap and put the ball on the ground two times and while yes, they're weren't many holes (I didn't expect many against Tenn) Brown DID run better.

And you know what, I'm not really worried about the run defense, because what the texans gave up on those long runs can probably be fixed with adjustments and concentration. I would have been alot more worried if the Texans gave up 7 yrd average on 25 plays than giving up the three big plays by Johnson. But I think the talent is finally there to stop the run. And no other back we face this year will have the breakaway speed Chris Johnson had. I really feel much better about out run defense so far than I did last year.

It still doesn't change the fact that we're getting gashed on runs and you're right, nobody we face will be as explosive as Johnson, but T. Jones isn't as explosive as Johnson either and he had huge plays also.

I agree most of the problems are coachable and I do like the talent we have to work with on defense, but until the coaches prove they can fix these problems it'll still be a problem.......I'm not just going to assume they'll be fixed.

Carr Bombed
09-20-2009, 06:36 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb167/ray9175/debbiedowner.jpg

If the truth makes me a "Debbie downer", then I guess I'm a "debbie downer". I lost all blind optimism a LONG time ago. I'm at the point with this franchise/team now, where they have to show me it on the field (and I hope they do).......talk is cheap.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 06:43 PM
nobody we face will be as explosive as Johnson, but T. Jones isn't as explosive as Johnson either and he had huge plays also.

I agree most of the problems are coachable and I do like the talent we have to work with on defense, but until the coaches prove they can fix these problems it'll still be a problem.......I'm not just going to assume they'll be fixed.

I totally agree. But in each of those cases, that's us playing very agressively, with zero coverage. That's why our LBs & DL need to make the play. No excuses.

But can't we talk about all these problems tomorrow? let's enjoy our impressive win (34 points on the tacks), and get to work breaking this down tomorrow.

Marcus
09-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Speaking of bumping this thread . . .

I'm going to bump this thread next preseason, and let y'all have at it.

It'll be funny.

Texecutioner
09-20-2009, 06:44 PM

Stingray you are about as uncredible as anyone could be on this site on this issue. This team looked awful last week against what is probably a top defense. This week our running game was awful as usual, but our passing game was fantastic against a team that gave up a ton of passing yards against the Steelers last week.

Pre season showed a ton of things that are currently going on with the Texans that a few people mentioned like horrible run stopping, Slaton running horribly which you still haven't seemed to figure out, and our defense just looking flat out bad. I wonder if you even watch the games when I read stuff like this. Our defense just had one mental collapse after another against one of the worst offenses in the league. If it wasn't for the passing game, we would have been embarrassed in this game. OUr defense looks worse than it was last season.

Carr Bombed
09-20-2009, 06:53 PM
But can't we talk about all these problems tomorrow? let's enjoy our impressive win (34 points on the tacks), and get to work breaking this down tomorrow.

I'm enjoying the win

stingray
09-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Stingray you are about as uncredible as anyone could be on this site on this issue. This team looked awful last week against what is probably a top defense. This week our running game was awful as usual, but our passing game was fantastic against a team that gave up a ton of passing yards against the Steelers last week.

Pre season showed a ton of things that are currently going on with the Texans that a few people mentioned like horrible run stopping, Slaton running horribly which you still haven't seemed to figure out, and our defense just looking flat out bad. I wonder if you even watch the games when I read stuff like this. Our defense just had one mental collapse after another against one of the worst offenses in the league. If it wasn't for the passing game, we would have been embarrassed in this game. OUr defense looks worse than it was last season.

Ok.. we will see who is right about the defense at the end of the year. I see it much better than last year. I'd rather have mental lapses than talent lapses, but that just me. For the most part, they stopped the run on a consistent basis.. They did have mental lapses but that can be fixed. Not having the talent can't be fixed. And by talent, I mean Cushing will make a huge difference at the end of the year concerning the run.

And I guess you are just the SMARTEST guy in the world where you have figured out that steve will suck this year and his extra ten pounds has done him in after two games against two of the best run defenses in the league. Because of course, you are the MOST CREDIBLE guy on this site, because you are full of facts!!! LOL!!! Let's see who is right at the end of the year about steve and the defense. I'm sorry that I am not credible because I base my opinion on the whole season and not four practice games SIR!!!

But of course, I wouldn't expect nothing else from you because you pretty much give Carr Bombed a reach around on all the threads...

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 07:56 PM
1-10-TEN 41 (11:12) 28-C.Johnson right guard to TEN 38 for -3 yards (59-D.Ryans).

2-13-TEN 38 (10:40) 5-K.Collins pass short left to 28-C.Johnson to TEN 36 for -2 yards (54-Z.Diles).

2-10-HOU 48 (9:14) 5-K.Collins pass short left to 28-C.Johnson to TEN 48 for -4 yards (56-B.Cushing). Penalty on TEN-54-E.Amano, Ineligible Downfield Pass, declined.

Then CJ had that 57 yard scamper for a TD.

A couple of plays latter, he was left uncovered for a 69 yard TD
1-10-TEN 25 (11:38) 28-C.Johnson left end to TEN 22 for -3 yards (59-D.Ryans).

1-10-TEN 34 (9:53) 28-C.Johnson left tackle to TEN 34 for no gain (54-Z.Diles).

2-10-TEN 34 (9:18) 28-C.Johnson right tackle to TEN 32 for -2 yards (90-M.Williams, 40-J.Busing). PENALTY on TEN-73-J.Scott, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at TEN 34 - No Play.

2-20-TEN 24 (8:56) 5-K.Collins pass short left to 28-C.Johnson to TEN 24 for no gain (56-B.Cushing).

1-10-HOU 39 (1:08) (Shotgun) 5-K.Collins pass short left to 28-C.Johnson to HST 38 for 1 yard (32-F.Bennett).

3-7-TEN 19 (8:00) (Shotgun) 5-K.Collins pass short left to 28-C.Johnson to TEN 15 for -4 yards (91-A.Okoye).

3-1-TEN 43 (:39) 28-C.Johnson right end to TEN 43 for no gain (90-M.Williams).

3-4-HOU 31 (11:11) (Shotgun) 28-C.Johnson up the middle to HST 33 for -2 yards (56-B.Cushing).

Those are all the negative plays we forced by C.Johnson. That's 11 plays. with a different name behind almost every one of them. There was a time when #23 was the only Texan playing on their side of the LOS.

We gave up some big plays, but that's the price you pay. & as long as our offense can play like they did today, that gives us some time for our defense to get their game together.

We're getting better guys.

stingray
09-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Those are all the negative plays we forced by C.Johnson. That's 11 plays. with a different name behind almost every one of them.

We gave up some big plays, but that's the price you pay. & as long as our offense can play like they did today, that gives us some time for our defense to get their game together.

Don't use facts around here because only "doom and gloom opinions" is what makes you "credible" around here.

Txn_in_FL
09-20-2009, 08:10 PM

Those are all the negative plays we forced by C.Johnson. That's 11 plays. with a different name behind almost every one of them. There was a time when #23 was the only Texan playing on their side of the LOS.

Since I'm way too lazy to gather these stats myself I will just piggy back off of your diligent research.

Without those bigplays by Johnson what do the Titans have today? I'm really happy with how the D played and the offense was much improved over last week. They did a great job of holding Johnson for a lot of the game. Yes, he had a HUGE game on a few runs and catches but for the most part he was held really well. Tweak that coverage a bit and that doesn't happen.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 08:22 PM
....the offense was much improved over last week.

That was the biggest difference in Today's game. They threw the ball to Andre early & often, saying we ain't scurred. Last week, I thought we forced the run, and it seemed more "conservative Kubiak" than "Shock me Shanahan".

We made the Titans work for everything they got, except a few big plays.

We did the same thing against NYJ...... our offense was just going to take what they were given, but today, they took what they wanted.

Tailgate
09-20-2009, 08:28 PM
That was the biggest difference in Today's game. They threw the ball to Andre early & often, saying we ain't scurred. Last week, I thought we forced the run, and it seemed more "conservative Kubiak" than "Shock me Shanahan".

We made the Titans work for everything they got, except a few big plays.

We did the same thing against NYJ...... our offense was just going to take what they were given, but today, they took what they wanted.

Inconsistency. Kubiak is all over that post game today. I really like the way he is handling this win.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Inconsistency. Kubiak is all over that post game today. I really like the way he is handling this win.

I hope you understand that I'm saying the inconsistency came from the guys on the sideline, not the guys on the field. The play calling & game plan offensively sucked.

Tailgate
09-20-2009, 08:34 PM
I hope you understand that I'm saying the inconsistency came from the guys on the sideline, not the guys on the field. The play calling & game plan offensively sucked.

And I am saying its a matter of both.

Carr Bombed
09-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Don't use facts around here because only "doom and gloom opinions" is what makes you "credible" around here.

What "doom and gloom"... Are you talking about the "truth".

Sorry, I mentioned how we were getting gashed and got gashed today.

Nobody cares about "negative plays forced" when you get gashed and give up the "big play" the very next play....it's like talking about how well you did on 1st and 2nd down, when you give up a 3rd and 15 or 3rd and 19 on the next play.

Do you think there's a titan fan on the Titan message board that's bringing up all the "negative plays" they forced today (and they forced just as many as we did) and saying "we're getting better on defense"?

No, because the big plays they gave up cost them the game..(the big plays they gave up were in the passing game...ours were in the running game)......that's the only difference in the two defenses, but they didn't have our caliber of passing offense to bail them out.

I'm not asking for perfection here and I'm not blind where I can't see the potential for our defense to get better (Cushing looks like a beast and it does look like we're more disruptive on some plays), but I'm also not going to sweep horrible mistakes under a rug just, because we won and act like they didn't happen. Also I don't understand how it's "doom and gloom" to talk about those mistakes.

Just, because you stuff a run 5 times, that doesn't excuse you from giving up a 70, 80, or 90 yard run on the next carry....those yards count too. At the end of the day Chris Johnson had damn near 200 yards rushing on only 16 carries at a 12 yard clip......he damn near single handedly beat us.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 08:43 PM
And I am saying its a matter of both.

People want to talk about fire & spunk & whatever...... but we didn't "play" any different than we did last week.

The only exception, IMHO is that our offensive linemen stayed on their feet more often. It didn't lend itself to bigger running lanes, but it's a step in the right direction.

It was all in the play calling.

Tailgate
09-20-2009, 08:56 PM
People want to talk about fire & spunk & whatever...... but we didn't "play" any different than we did last week.

The only exception, IMHO is that our offensive linemen stayed on their feet more often. It didn't lend itself to bigger running lanes, but it's a step in the right direction.

It was all in the play calling.

Avoiding sloppy tackling, out of position players, mental errors, etc... are apart of becoming more consistent as a football team.

ATXtexanfan
09-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Just seen on PFT that titans were shut out in the 4th. Nice

Carr Bombed
09-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Just seen on PFT that titans were shut out in the 4th. Nice

Here's a better stat that I just realized after watching the game highlights.....

After the 1st quarter )and a few seconds into the 2nd quarter), the Texans pretty held the Titans to only 10 points for pretty much 3 quarters........I'll take that every week. (see I can be positive when I have positive things to talk about :)) But 31 points is still 31 points and that's a TD worse than the average score we gave up last season, which is why I'm so hard on the inability to prevent the "big play".

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Avoiding sloppy tackling, out of position players, mental errors, etc... are apart of becoming more consistent as a football team.

I stand corrected.. the tackling was better.

I don't know what to say about the out of position thing.

We made several mental errors tonight.

thunderkyss
09-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Here's a better stat that I just realized after watching the game highlights.....

After the 1st quarter )and a few seconds into the 2nd quarter), the Texans pretty held the Titans to only 10 points for pretty much 3 quarters........I'll take that every week. (see I can be positive when I have positive things to talk about :)) But 31 points is still 31 points and that's a TD worse than the average score we gave up last season, which is why I'm so hard on the inability to prevent the "big play")

In our case, I guess I'd rather take that bad quarter at the beginning of the game than the end..

Carr Bombed
09-20-2009, 09:33 PM
In our case, I guess I'd rather take that bad quarter at the beginning of the game than the end..

so true...It was nice to see them pick themselves off the mat and not fold tent.

Tailgate
09-20-2009, 09:37 PM
I stand corrected.. the tackling was better.

I don't know what to say about the out of position thing.

We made several mental errors tonight.

As Khuarsky posted on his AFC South blog, he heard the word was Barber was supposed to be out wide lined up on CJ on that one big play, and after that we rarely if ever saw him for the rest of the game. Just one example that comes to mind.

Carr Bombed
09-20-2009, 09:39 PM
and after that we rarely if ever saw him for the rest of the game. Just one example that comes to mind.

Hopefully "game" changes to "season". Barber is trash.

Jackie Chiles
09-20-2009, 09:42 PM

He has been more disappointing than Adibi. Troy Nolan or some new safety could push Barber hard next season although he is still probably higher on the totem pole than Ferguson.

ATXtexanfan
09-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Don't fancy him much either.

stingray
09-20-2009, 09:51 PM
I think that the Texans are in the early stages of a becoming a cohesive unit who can become a stellar defense in the future. They will make big plays and allow big plays. I think that most defenses who become a "good" unit pass through the rough early stages. I still think that they will still screw up on many many third downs but hopefully it will become less and less as the season goes on. I see Cushing as a budding star as long as he stays healthy. The Texans should have one "superstar" in Mario an two "stars" in Demeco and Cushing. They now just need one in the secondary. Easier said than done, though.