PDA

View Full Version : Its time to be positive !!!

Norg
09-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Ok can we just stop the madness Yes we LOst ok But that just means we are the Same ol Texans whats New ......

But lets just List some positives in this game

-Brain cushing played one heck of a First NFL rookie game he was a man possesed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

eriadoc
09-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Its time to be positive !!!

No, it's not.

Khari
09-13-2009, 07:54 PM
i have no more positive ... it ran away

GP
09-13-2009, 07:56 PM
A tad bit early for this thread, don't ya' think?

We get to gripe like hell until Monday afternoon.

Trail.Blazr
09-13-2009, 07:56 PM
OMG, this thread makes me want to do more of this: http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-9529.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

hot pickle
09-13-2009, 07:58 PM
positive is that i didnt take any texans players on my FF this year and im so glad i did cause i might win now

thunderkyss
09-13-2009, 08:04 PM
We start slow.

That hasn't changed. We've got to hope that we get this figured out, and turned around before mid-season, like we did last year, and the year before.

We play Tennessee next week. @ Tennessee. We've never won there. It's early, but it's as close to a "must win" as we've ever had.

Honestly though, I was impressed with the defense. If only we could have kept our offense on the field and given them some decent time to rest....

brakos82
09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
We start slow.

That hasn't changed. We've got to hope that we get this figured out, and turned around before mid-season, like we did last year, and the year before.

We play Tennessee next week. @ Tennessee. We've never won there. It's early, but it's as close to a "must win" as we've ever had.

Honestly though, I was impressed with the defense. If only we could have kept our offense on the field and given them some decent time to rest....

2004 we swept them.

but other than that, You pretty much nailed it on the head. The first 4 games each season since Kubiak was brought in we've gone 3-10 (and two were against horrible teams). However, we've finished much better (8-4) in the last 4 games. That's just the way we've played historically, which is always depressing.

Wolf
09-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I honestly want to be positive and I am trying

but I can't think of anything off of the top of my head that showed me any positives from this game.

nothing sticks out to me ... special teams, offense or defense

well the defense early in the game was about it

axman40
09-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I am positive the Texans do not know how to make a tackle!
:chili:

GNTLEWOLF
09-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Ok can we just stop the madness Yes we LOst ok But that just means we are the Same ol Texans whats New ......

But lets just List some positives in this game

-Brain cushing played one heck of a First NFL rookie game he was a man possesed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm positive-ly pissed

Andrew6
09-13-2009, 08:45 PM
positive is that i didnt take any texans players on my FF this year and im so glad i did cause i might win now

sad thing is I was thinking the same thing. I was kinda pissed I wasn't able to draft any but now I'm thinking that may not be bad thing. I just wish had Drew Brees.

WWJD
09-13-2009, 08:45 PM
We start slow.

I'm wondering about your comment and I'm not trying to be sarcastic but what about the defense impressed you?

The Jets had a rookie QB playing and he looked like a 5 year All-Pro. They gashed the Texans for several very long gains. I'm not sure what the Jets percentage was on 3rd down but it seemed to me like they made an awful lot of them. They had almost 500 total yards.

I agree the offense was horrific but to me it was the lesser evil. I thought the defense was really bad.

But seriously what impressed you?

Wolf
09-13-2009, 08:47 PM
10-18 on 3rd downs

sanches at one time was 10-12 for 140 ish yards

WWJD
09-13-2009, 08:58 PM
10-18 on 3rd downs

sanches at one time was 10-12 for 140 ish yards

Thanks for those stats.

I thought he played very well for a rookie..first start and all that. He didn't appear to get rattled and the OC for the Jets had a very good game plan for Sanchez to execute.

thunderkyss
09-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I agree the offense was horrific but to me it was the lesser evil. I thought the defense was really bad.

#1.... I blame the bad offense for the declining defense. We were kicking but on defense in the first half.Lot's of hits in the backfield (including Ferguson's muffed tackle in the backfield). & that run for 6 yards, was their biggest run play of the first half, not counting the reverse.

We got after the QB.... he beat us, but we got after him.

Ifs, coulda's & woulda's.... I think the defense would have looked better, if we could have put some points on the board, and kept the game close.

ATXtexanfan
09-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm positive it's just one loss. It sucks but no where near as bad as that ass whipping in last years opener. We are tied for second in the division. One week at a time.

LonerATO
09-13-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm wondering about your comment and I'm not trying to be sarcastic but what about the defense impressed you?

The Jets had a rookie QB playing and he looked like a 5 year All-Pro. They gashed the Texans for several very long gains. I'm not sure what the Jets percentage was on 3rd down but it seemed to me like they made an awful lot of them. They had almost 500 total yards.

Could it also be that Sanchez is this years Ryan/Flacco? Good coaching and good players around him.

Andrew6
09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
possitives:
Defense:
Defense scored on a turnover
Cushing looked decent
Mario looked like Mario
Demeco looked like Demeco version 2006
S. Cody looked decent
Antonio Smith looked good

Offense:
uhhh hmmm Chris Brown had a good run.
uhhhh ohhh ehhhh
Defense scored a touch down? ? ? Ok I got nothing?

GNTLEWOLF
09-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Could it also be that Sanchez is

It could be, but if this team is ever going to be any good it has to start beating the good teams and the teams with this years Ryan/Flacco and all the good coaching and good players around him.

Mr teX
09-13-2009, 09:14 PM
#1.... I blame the bad offense for the declining defense. We were kicking but on defense in the first half.Lot's of hits in the backfield (including Ferguson's muffed tackle in the backfield). & that run for 6 yards, was their biggest run play of the first half, not counting the reverse.

Ifs, coulda's & woulda's.... I think the defense would have looked better, if we could have put some points on the board, and kept the game close.

looks like someone actually watched the game. Our defense simply got worn down because our offense couldn't stay on the field.

Wolf
09-13-2009, 09:16 PM
a positive is that Pace and ellis didn't play for the jets

Schaub might have been knocked out for the season

silvrhand
09-13-2009, 09:24 PM
looks like someone actually watched the game. Our defense simply got worn down because our offense couldn't stay on the field.

Uh... this has nothing to do with the offense but how many 3rd and longs did we give up for first downs in the game. Defensively we played good except on 3rd down, we couldn't get them off the field.

Sorry while our run defense still improved our 3rd down play has not improved, we telegraphed our blitz, didn't get enough pressure on the QB, and they just waited for someone to get open. Until we find a way to effectively blitz we are not going to be a good defense.

Fred
09-13-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm positive that the Texans are the laughstock of the league. Yes, even the Lions laugh at us.

silvrhand
09-13-2009, 09:25 PM
God I hope we don't go 0-3, and then flop to the raiders to 0-4. We *WOULD* be the laughing stock of the league, and I would hope that Kubiak would be fired at that point.

dickieb
09-13-2009, 09:29 PM
We can be positive about one thing, we know how to hire good coordinators. Unfortunately we hire them as our head coaches. Imagine Kubaik & Capers as our coordinators with a real head coach...

keyser
09-13-2009, 09:29 PM

That's only true in part - I think our defense would've held out a lot longer if our offense had taken some time off the clock and scored points.

But, the defense also gave up some really long drives. The first drive of the second half, they let the Jets use half of the third quarter! That was after letting the Jets use up eight and a half minutes on their second drive of the game, in the first quarter!!!

The defense needs to take a fair amount of the blame for why they were on the field so long. They wouldn't have been so tired if they hadn't given up those drives early on.

thunderkyss
09-13-2009, 10:44 PM
The defense needs to take a fair amount of the blame for why they were on the field so long. They wouldn't have been so tired if they hadn't given up those drives early on.

I'm not saying the defense was blameless. Just saying... They did give up a long drive to start the 3rd Qtr, so we can't say it was because they were wore out. But the Jets second possession of the 3rd, was a 3 & out.

Also, I think we did fairly well against the run. I'm re-watching the game now, and they just announced Thomas Jones' stats. 13 carries, 14 yards with 13:45 left in the 4th. Leon Washington was pretty much held in check as well, when he took the ball from the QB. Seminole (Wildcat) or screens, he was killing us.

Again, just looking for bright spots, not trying to toot any horns or anything.

NitroGSXR
09-13-2009, 10:48 PM
We're in a three way tie for last place in our division. That could be seen as a good thing by some.

Only reason it's not a four way tie is because the Colts played the Jaguars. That was a pleasant game to watch the recaps on. They both looked equally bad. Also the Jaguars shot themselves in the foot with that botched wildcat play.

Anyone else notice the wildcat play that the Jets pulled on us? I was screaming "wildcat! wildcat!" the whole time when I saw a black QB lining up for the Jets. I realized that was their running back and QUICKLY recognized the fabled wildcat!!

thunderkyss
09-13-2009, 10:49 PM

As a matter of fact, 12:18 left in the game, scores 17-7. Only down by 10, this game is winnable.

But the defense gives up a big run, and a score.

NitroGSXR
09-13-2009, 10:56 PM
As a matter of fact, 12:18 left in the game, scores 17-7. Only down by 10, this game is winnable.

That very same defense was exhausted. The Jets destroyed the Texans in the time of possession aspect of the game. Jets had the ball for over 38 minutes as opposed to the Texans' 21 minutes. That's significant and definitely takes a toll on the defense.

If the offense were rolling a bit, I believe the Jets would not have scored as high. The offense needs to stay on the field to spell their defensive unit. 3 and outs won't do that. The offense is what killed us more than anything else.

thunderkyss
09-13-2009, 11:04 PM
That very same defense was exhausted. The Jets destroyed the Texans in the time of possession aspect of the game. Jets had the ball for over 38 minutes as opposed to the Texans' 21 minutes. That's significant and definitely takes a toll on the defense.

If the offense were rolling a bit, I believe the Jets would not have scored as high. The offense needs to stay on the field to spell their defensive unit. 3 and outs won't do that. The offense is what killed us more than anything else.

I totally agree.

I mentioned that, and it was a bad example. The Defense had just been on the field for a long time, got the INT, returned it for a TD..... they only had the time allowed for our PAT, and kick-off to rest.

Ferguson was on the line. Cushing, then Barwin, Okam, Zgonina, & Bullman on the line.

McCain, Busing, & Moulden was the rest of the backfield. The only starters on the field, were the LBs.

LonerATO
09-13-2009, 11:12 PM
i am going to say that this could be the catalyst for a good run and end with a good record. I don't know if the Texans could be a playoff team, but I would be happy with a winning season for once.

Blazin' Toro
09-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Let's keep it positive people, it's only one game.

GP
09-13-2009, 11:19 PM
I totally agree.

I mentioned that, and it was a bad example. The Defense had just been on the field for a long time, got the INT, returned it for a TD..... they only had the time allowed for our PAT, and kick-off to rest.

Ferguson was on the line. Cushing, then Barwin, Okam, Zgonina, & Bullman on the line.

McCain, Busing, & Moulden was the rest of the backfield. The only starters on the field, were the LBs.

The issue was how the Jets had been running right up the middle for the whole game until that long TD run.

On that long TD run play, we very stupidly committed all our guys to the middle, and all Jones had to do was slow down as he approached the line...and then bounce to the outside. The rest is history.

He did the sort of thing that Steve Slaton did a lot of last year...but hasn't done yet. Steve made hardly any cuts, and when he did it was done too late and he got wrapped up in mid-cut.

The defense played better today than I thought they would. They were getting into the backfield on running plays. They were in the QB's face. They made an INT and even scored on it. It's usually the defense letting the offense down. Today, the role was reversed IMO.

That doesn't excuse our missed tackles. But overall, I think our defense outplayed our offense today. Cushing was making tackles on run plays, which was nice to see someone other than 'Meco doing that.

Texecutioner
09-13-2009, 11:23 PM
The issue was how the Jets had been running right up the middle for the whole game until that long TD run.

On that long TD run play, we very stupidly committed all our guys to the middle, and all Jones had to do was slow down as he approached the line...and then bounce to the outside. The rest is history.

He did the sort of thing that Steve Slaton did a lot of last year...but hasn't done yet. Steve made hardly any cuts, and when he did it was done too late and he got wrapped up in mid-cut.

The defense played better today than I thought they would. They were getting into the backfield on running plays. They were in the QB's face. They made an INT and even scored on it. It's usually the defense letting the offense down. Today, the role was reversed IMO.

That doesn't excuse our missed tackles. But overall, I think our defense outplayed our offense today. Cushing was making tackles on run plays, which was nice to see someone other than 'Meco doing that.

Slaton has had me worried since the Vikings game. A few of us noticed how he didn't have that same burst with the extra weight, plus he hasn't been seeing the holes near as well. I've been worried about him since that game man.

I thought about that when I picked him first in my fantasy league, but I wanted to be optimistic any way, and I used my first pick on him. Then all this week the closer and closer we got to this game I got a worse and worse feeling because their new HC is so good on coaching the defense and their D line is freaking good.

LonerATO
09-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Slaton has had me worried since the Vikings game. A few of us noticed how he didn't have that same burst with the extra weight, plus he hasn't been seeing the holes near as well. I've been worried about him since that game man.

I thought about that when I picked him first in my fantasy league, but I wanted to be optimistic any way, and I used my first pick on him. Then all this week the closer and closer we got to this game I got a worse and worse feeling because their new HC is so good on coaching the defense and their D line is freaking good.

You dont fix something unless its broke

NitroGSXR
09-13-2009, 11:30 PM

Exactly. They punched us in the stomach and before we could catch our breath, they ran around us. We were expecting another punch up the middle.

thunderkyss
09-13-2009, 11:31 PM

Diles was having a good game early as well.

But on the TD, Jones didn't go outside. That was inside the tackle. The only difference on that play, was that Cushing was a little slow & missed him, and Mario & Antonio Smith was there to catch Jones at the LOS. That play, was no different than all the other run plays, except that we let him get through that first level. Everyone of those early stops could've been as bad, but the guys executed & did what they were supposed to do.

Now on the other 39 yard run, no TD. Yeah, he bounced it outside. They pulled their left guard, who nailed Demeco where the run was supposed to go. The whole defense was sucked in, and he bounced it out.

ArlingtonTexan
09-13-2009, 11:35 PM
I have nothing to be positive about. The Texans have given a couple years of mediocrity following gneral expansion sorriness. so on the first real game of the season, they show that they have not improved on one weakness and did not even display what were thought to be strengths. Nothing good about this game except that it is over. There, that is positive.

JCTexan
09-13-2009, 11:41 PM

This post shouldn't be a knock on the defense. 17-7 in the fourth, the game is still winnable. Had the offense done anything at all today we would have likely won. I'm honestly not too worried. The question mark all off-season was the defense and they showed up ready to play today. Let's just hope they continue their play the rest of the year, and the offense shows up.

Norg
09-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Its just time to man up strap up and get rdy to WIN and Tenn

"IF" we do win at tenn and thats a BIG IF because i know Tenn is coming into this game just like us 0-1 and is going to have that killer Mentailty just like us

the tide of negative will slighty fade

MannyFresh
09-13-2009, 11:48 PM
So if they're flat again next weekend, is it fair to say we make headlines as the first team to have a change in coaching personnel?

Wolf
09-13-2009, 11:49 PM
So if they're flat again next weekend, is it fair to say we make headlines as the first team to have a change in coaching personnel?

I honestly don't know who they could bring in

who would they promote on such quick notice?

brakos82
09-13-2009, 11:54 PM
I honestly don't know who they could bring in

who would they promote on such quick notice?
Is Bill Cowher still out there? Dungy? Elway?

okay maybe not the last idea LOL

Andrew6
09-13-2009, 11:59 PM

Hmmm the quivering chin . . .

JCTexan
09-14-2009, 12:01 AM

The only reason I wouldn't bring anyone else in so soon is because the whole team would have to change schemes. Which wouldn't likely change things right away anyway. Bill Cowher would want a tough o-line, and would want to change the defense to a 3-4. Not something I want to see happening in the middle of the year. Let's just stick it out for the rest of the year. If nothing changes then we can talk about changing coaches in the off-season.

GNTLEWOLF
09-14-2009, 12:06 AM
You dont fix something unless its broke

Well, It looks to me like we need a whole army of repairmen...Oh! and I'm positive about that!

Goldensilence
09-14-2009, 12:25 AM
The problem I keep coming up with in firing Kubiak in season is ..... looking at this staff the idea of getting an interim HC scares the beejesus out of me. Is there anyone on this staff that could possibly be a HC? .....I guess part of that includes our current one.

OrangeLotPole8
09-14-2009, 12:28 AM

LOL, take ELWAY!!!!! We got his BACK UP NOW! LOL

Scooter
09-14-2009, 12:41 AM
on the positive side, i'm rewatching the offense in slow motion and everything i've seen through the first half is easily fixable. it was basically an excess of poor decisions ... bad playcalling and some flawed play designs (AJ and andre davis right beside eachother but we try to follow davis while johnson blocks inside which is backwards), slaton and brown not finding the holes (which were definitely there), schaub holding the ball too long and not looking downfield, slaton not following his blockers (unless i missed somebody, he cut inside instead of following pitts who was outside alone against a defensive back on the play he fumbled), myers reading blitzes wrong (which improved later in the first half), and more mental mistakes.

i'm about to start into the second half which will be pretty ugly, but the first half had a lot of very fixable mistakes.

edit: second half was more of the same for the offense. really bad playcalling, schaub was off target and held onto the ball too long (along with whatever he was thinking with that last interception), this time david anderson blocking instead of andre johnson, pitts made a poor read on a blitz, slaton made a poor read on a blitz (jumping outside of the tackle), and of course myers got clubbed into next week by jenkins.

again, everything's fixable. while we're being positive, i was suprised that the offensive line play was actually a lot better than it appeared live. it wasnt great obviously, but it was relatively good - our biggest problems came from the quarterback, runningbacks, and definitely the playcalling

Vinny
09-14-2009, 12:59 AM
hit it Frankie! http://www.texanstalk.com/

SteveSlaton20
09-14-2009, 01:58 AM
have less meltdown and chill out?

ObsiWan
09-14-2009, 02:11 AM
have less meltdown and chill out?

Not this bunch.

Vinny
09-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Not this bunch.

Same thing happened last year.
Its like this in every City with disappointing teams....it's not like Houston is the only team to have emotionally attached fans who get angry at perpetual mediocrity.

ObsiWan
09-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Its like this in every City with disappointing teams....it's not like Houston is the only team to have emotionally attached fans who get angry at perpetual mediocrity.

Maybe we just need to vent.

I'm as disappointed as the rest of you but I'm not ready to fire everyone in sight, burn the stadium to the ground, and gut the team.
Geez!

Vinny
09-14-2009, 02:37 AM
Maybe we just need to vent.

I'm as disappointed as the rest of you but I'm not ready to fire everyone in sight, burn the stadium to the ground, and gut the team.
Geez!This City hasn't seen a winning season since the Oilers left town. I think the patience is wearing thin.

ObsiWan
09-14-2009, 02:49 AM
This City hasn't seen a winning season since the Oilers left town. I think the patience is wearing thin.

Maybe this is Karma for running Bud out of town.

WWJD
09-14-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks for answering my question to you. I was just wondering where you were coming from with your point of view.

DBCooper
09-14-2009, 08:38 AM
I am positive I want to puke.

eriadoc
09-14-2009, 04:27 PM
You know, in a way, this was a good game for me, personally. Part of the reason I rid myself of the tickets and PSLs was how the style of losing wrecked my week afterwards. So the tickets gone, there was no way to know for certain that I'd be in any better shape with not having tickets. But I am. I have to say, the game yesterday was terrible, and I did some vent posting on here, but it didn't cost me $200+. So I'm actually not in a terrible mood today. This is good.

Texaninlild
09-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Daily Affirmation

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/Texaninlild/StuartSmalley.jpg

Texan_Bill
09-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Re: Its time to be positive !!!

*heads to the babe thread* :backsout:

euro-Texan
09-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Okay okay oaky the shock has worn off, all of my angry posts have made me feel a little better. It looks like we should have everyone back for the game Sunday. Maybe just maybe this game will be some sort of catilist that propels this team forward. I'm trying to b positive.

I doubt we will win, but maybe this has lit some fires ( I know, i know, these fires shold have been lit aready)

Here's to optimism!

P.S. Is it just me or did someone forget to put sugar in the cool-aid this week? It tastes a little bitter.