PDA

View Full Version : The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Marcus
09-13-2009, 02:56 PM
The game isn't over yet, but I've seen enough. And I don't want to EVER hear the words "It's only preseason" ever again.

I'm usually against these FIRE "you know who" threads, but when you let a rookie coach and rookie QB come into our house and embarrass us like this . . . yeah, someone deserves to go out the door.

This is disgusting how they never fail to disappoint.

And Herv, my apologies for calling you a "knee-jerk". You had a right to be depressed, because that's how I feel.

Mr. White
09-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Gary Kubiak.....a rich tradition of getting outcoached since 2006.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
09-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I did a practical shooting match this morning blowing through 100 rounds of .45acp, but now I have a hankerin to go back to the gun range. It would be so much easier if I could just care for the Steelers like everyone else up here.

swtbound07
09-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I'll start working on soap.

Mr. White
09-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I'll start working on soap.

How about a soap sig? That would be epic.

Grid
09-13-2009, 03:21 PM
how do you get through life being this stupid? How did you even manage to navigate to this website?

I just dont see how it is feasible for someone of such low intellect to find us here... finding the Texans website I can understand..if you bang your face against the keyboard long enough I imagine there is a slim chance you might find the homepage.. but Texanstalk? and into the forum no less? color me baffled.

YOu had to have had help getting here...which means that someone who ISNT dumb enough to want to fire our coach in week one helped you to find this website...and whoever it is that did that, I just want to say shame on you. Im all for equal rights and the proper treatment of the intellectually challenged...but this is a place to have fun..all this arm flailing and running around in circles screaming is an unnecessary distraction.

swtbound07
09-13-2009, 03:26 PM
how do you get through life being this stupid? How did you even manage to navigate to this website?

I just dont see how it is feasible for someone of such low intellect to find us here... finding the Texans website I can understand..if you bang your face against the keyboard long enough I imagine there is a slim chance you might find the homepage.. but Texanstalk? and into the forum no less? color me baffled.

YOu had to have had help getting here...which means that someone who ISNT dumb enough to want to fire our coach in week one helped you to find this website...and whoever it is that did that, I just want to say shame on you. Im all for equal rights and the proper treatment of the intellectually challenged...but this is a place to have fun..all this arm flailing and running around in circles screaming is an unnecessary distraction.

Its not one week...its a pattern Grid.

Marcus
09-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Go blow it out of your ass, Grid.

Grid
09-13-2009, 03:29 PM
no it really is week 1... you want to scrap the whole season after ONE GAME.. you want to throw in the towel and go in to rebuilding mode after WEEK ONE.

Seriously..if you boys can sit there quietly and let the adults watch the game, maybe afterwards you can have graham crackers.

swtbound07
09-13-2009, 03:31 PM
no it really is week 1... you want to scrap the whole season after ONE GAME.. you want to throw in the towel and go in to rebuilding mode after WEEK ONE.

Seriously..if you boys can sit there quietly and let the adults watch the game, maybe afterwards you can have graham crackers.

Seriously, how bout you treat other peoples opinions with respect. We are all watching the same team here. You appear to be in denial to me.

houstonlibraria
09-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Kubiak was playing too scared today. You HAVE to onside kick that ball. You kick it deep and we see what happens.
That was a chicken call.

Mr. White
09-13-2009, 03:34 PM

Just like week 1 every season. He gets outcoached every time.

Like SWT said, there's a pattern here. He's had his coaches, his draft picks, and even his GM.

I think it stands to reason that maybe the guy isn't a good coach.

eriadoc

Ban, IMO.

Marcus

If you don't think this game is an indication of how the rest of this season is going to go, you're not paying attention.

Grid
09-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Seriously, how bout you treat other peoples opinions with respect. We are all watching the same team here. You appear to be in denial to me.

Nah.. we are sucking... and I dont know how you can come out in week one sucking this bad...and still have a good season.

I already feel like this season is gonna be lackluster and im just HOPING that we can go 9-7 and have our first winning season.

Playoffs are a pipe dream.

But im not stupid enough to say we need to fire kubiak after 1 week. You want to discuss the possibility of firing kubiak after this season? I have no issue discussing that. But after 1 week? Its just stupid.. why throw your season away after one week?

I say that I dont see how we can recover and have a playoff caliber season after a game this bad.. but im not prepared to say its impossible to do and throw the whole season away.

Grid
09-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Ban, IMO.

lol

go for it. Ive posted in this forum since its inception..and before that I was posting in the official forums since the site came up.

Ive supported this team through all the shit and have dealt with fools like this since the first season. They are moronic and a waste of space.. they dont have the mental fortitude to suppress their anger and make a logical complaint about what they saw, and what should be done about it.

But yes..ban ME.. because I was rude to them.. my offense is so horrendous that I should be exiled from the community. They on the other hand are worthwhile contributors?

Heh..whatever.. seriously go ahead and ban me. If you are going to embrace this kind of jackass mentality.. do me a favor and ban me. Id hate to get a wild hair up my butt and come back here.

Mr. White
09-13-2009, 03:44 PM
SOSDD.

I've seen enough of bad defenses, I've seen enough of the Z "BS", I've seen enough of "yes men" coaches. I've seen enough of his soft teams.

Every year, Kubiak starts the year looking like a JV coach.

The bottom line is that the guy's a loser.

swtbound07
09-13-2009, 03:44 PM
lol

go for it. Ive posted in this forum since its inception..and before that I was posting in the official forums since the site came up.

Ive supported this team through all the shit and have dealt with fools like this since the first season. They are moronic and a waste of space.. they dont have the mental fortitude to suppress their anger and make a logical complaint about what they saw, and what should be done about it.

But yes..ban ME.. because I was rude to them.. my offense is so horrendous that I should be exiled from the community. They on the other hand are worthwhile contributors?

Heh..whatever.. seriously go ahead and ban me. If you are going to embrace this kind of jackass mentality.. do me a favor and ban me. Id hate to get a wild hair up my butt and come back here.

I am one of the they. And your attacking other posters. There is no need for this here. You can express your opinions without insulting others. Your not adding anything to the discussion

eriadoc
09-13-2009, 03:46 PM
lol

Uhh, you're the one not suppressing your anger and showing your true colors. Other fans are upset because the team is playing like crap and they're venting, and that somehow gives you the right to not suppress your anger and launch personal attacks? You knew the rules when you started posting. They've been in place forever. You are the one who doesn't have the mental fortitude to control yourself.

Mr. White
09-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Glad that the board inteligencia showed up and put everybody in line.

Capers, Casserly and Carr had supporters too when it was obvious to everyone else that they were a joke. I'm pretty sure you were among them.

Wolf
09-13-2009, 03:48 PM
If you don't think this game is an indication of how the rest of this season is going to go, you're not paying attention.

I don't know Marcus..

we started out in 08 giving up
38,31,30,and 31 points and 0-4

to be determined how the next 4 will go

euro-Texan
09-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I am not advocating the firing of Kubiak TODAY. That would assure us a losing season. I think we need to realize that Kubiak is a coordinator out of his element. Unless of course his stratigy is for every upcoming team to overlook us then he's a genius.

Mr teX
09-13-2009, 03:50 PM
It is a fact that we were absolutely outcoached today anybody who cant see this is in denial. at this point..

gtexan02
09-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Preseason is meaningless. Our run defense looked horrible in the preseason, but decent today. Our offensive line looked ok in the preseason, but horrific today. We've sucked in both, but for different reasons. A bad football is a bad football team

Grid
09-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Glad that the board inteligencia showed up and put everybody in line.

Capers, Casserly and Carr had supporters too when it was obvious to everyone else that they were a joke. I'm pretty sure you were among them.

Eh.. I supported Capers up until the last season.. but yah I wasnt alone in that.

Most of the best fans on these forums supported the team up until that last season.. which isnt to say they didnt express worry or anger.. but they didnt do it like this... and they didnt bash the team unnecessarily.

Uhh, you're the one not suppressing your anger and showing your true colors. Other fans are upset because the team is playing like crap and they're venting, and that somehow gives you the right to not suppress your anger and launch personal attacks? You knew the rules when you started posting. They've been in place forever. You are the one who doesn't have the mental fortitude to control yourself.

We are having the same conversation in two threads.

Ive been around long enough to know the difference between venting and being a moron. Venting is short lived.. being a moron lasts all season.

Anyway..i told ya id be leaving so im gonna get on that.

PapaL
09-13-2009, 03:53 PM
It's one game. Suck it up and press on.

Hervoyel
09-13-2009, 03:56 PM

I've been through this Grid for 7 freakin years. I don't want to talk to you about it because you were here too and you know damn well it isn't "after one game". It's after 3 years with Kubiak. If you're so busy watching the game with the adults what pray tell prompted you to poke your head into a thread like this?

No, wait a second. Check that. It's after 7 years. 7 years with the Texans.

Ever wonder why the Texans ALWAYS give you exactly what you're afraid you're going to get from them? EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME?

They suck. They're a team of soft, unfocused players who work for a franchise that hasn't learned anything in 7 years. Everything you suspect they might be in the negative... THEY ARE!

We have a head coach who is not getting the job done BUT HE GETS FOREVER TO TRY AND CHANGE THAT!

We have an offensive coordinator who we are told is on the cusp of greatness BUT IN REALITY HE'S A FAVOR-HIRE WHO GOT THE JOB BECAUSE OF HIS LAST NAME!

We have a defensive coordinator who was promoted form within because he's supposedly going to be a good one BUT HIS DEFENSE PLAYS JUST AS POORLY AS THE ONE HE REPLACED!

Look, Gary Kubiak is in his fourth year and his team does the same shit it did four years ago. They can't tackle to save their lives. They can't protect the QB to save his life. Sure his "kids" all love to play for him. Hell I'd love a job where the coaches never pushed me out of my comfort zone and paid me millions of dollars a year to try hard. Does anybody really think Studdard stays on anyone's roster but ours? Chris Meyers is like one of those big stuffed animals. I watched Jets just pitch him out of the way today. Pitts is "our best" and by NFL standards he's crap. Anyone thinking that Chester Pitts will ever go to a Pro Bowl without a ticket is insane. With players like this it's no wonder we can't keep Schaub from getting stomped.

Speaking of our QB he's absolutely worthless unless he's playing a team that can't pressure the QB in a game that doesn't matter between teams playing out the string. Then he's money but if the game is against somebody who can actually get to him he's shit. He has to be stored in bubble wrap all season long if you want him to play more than 10-11 games.

Andre Johnson is wasted here. He'll get a ring someday with luck but I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that it won't be in a Texans uniform.

These guys are embarrassing and I'm tired of pretending that they're not. Every single good team we played last year humiliated us. Every single good team we play this year will do the exact same thing.

Tell me when in 7 years we've beaten a good team in a game that mattered to both them and us? The answer is never because we can't do it.

The Texans are Lucy in "Peanuts" holding that football and urging us to take a shot at kicking it. That's what this franchise asking for our support amounts to. They're always going to jerk that ball away at the last second but we get in here and we get excited about their worthless wins and garbage time statistics and keep coming back for more. We're ****ing stupid to be guzzling down this kool-aid. Why do we keep falling for it? What the hell is wrong with us? Our eyes see what's wrong and we convince ourselves that "It's only preseason" or "Well yeah but those were cheap shots - he's not really fragile", or "When he gets older he'll be worth the pick".

I know better than all of that but I got suckered in again just like I always seem to do.

Meanwhile other teams hire real coaches and real GM's who put together teams that progress. Nobody goes from bad to good slower than the Houston Texans. Hell, we haven't done it once yet.

Mr. White
09-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Eh.. I supported Capers up until the last season.. but yah I wasnt alone in that.

And Casserly and Carr.

I'm pretty sure you called all the pink soap guys morons then too.

I guess that makes you a better fan. Hope the Kool-Aid tastes good.

euro-Texan
09-13-2009, 04:03 PM
for what it's worth my Mom just called me from reliant and said that in the 4th, McNair and company went to the field and walked Kubiak off the field. I don't think there is anything to this obviously, but my mom called (unusual) to tell me she thinks Kubiaks gone today. I don't think so but veryone in her section apparently thinks so.

Hervoyel
09-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Just curious, how many times did Frank Bush's "extra-super aggressive" defense sack the rookie QB today?

Thought so. Same crap, different bobo in charge of that side. I see Amobi managed 4 tackles today. That's on the high side for him isn't it? How did Revis do against AJ? Good thing we chose the four year project teenager eh? Hey, who doesn't like to watch Rick Smith work his draft magic!

euro-Texan
09-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Too much time to prepare for the first game to perform this terrible

GP
09-13-2009, 04:10 PM
for what it's worth my Mom just called me from reliant and said that in the 4th, McNair and company went to the field and walked Kubiak off the field. I don't think there is anything to this obviously, but my mom called (unusual) to tell me she thinks Kubiaks gone today. I don't think so but veryone in her section apparently thinks so.

WTH?

LOL. Who would they get to replace him? Nobody. The guy who supposedly is calling the shots on offense can't even let his QB audible out of a play that gets him killed (when there was three blitzers to one side and nobody to pick them up). I mean, it was like the OC and the offense were DRUGGED today. They stayed in quicksand all day long. And even when they did something positive (Slaton's doofus play) they still managed to foul it up.

I'm not ragging on what your mom said. I'm sure she saw what she saw.

But I would wager that Bob wants to see how everyone on that team reacts in the locker room. And to possibly say something to someone (to a coach, to some players, or the whole team).

I've read a lot of the venting posts today. I am upset, too. I won't lecture anybody on here. Today was a bad day, as it has been every year on opening day for us. Pretty hard to put a positive spin on it.

Thorn
09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
the management of this team needs a wake up call.

Wolf6151
09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
It is a fact that we were absolutely outcoached today anybody who cant see this is in denial. at this point..

Agree completely.

Wolf
09-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Just curious, how many times did Frank Bush's "extra-super aggressive" defense sack the rookie QB today?

Thought so. Same crap, different bobo in charge of that side. I see Amobi managed 4 tackles today. That's on the high side for him isn't it? How did Revis do against AJ? Good thing we chose the four year project teenager eh? Hey, who doesn't like to watch Rick Smith work his draft magic!

well in all fairness our secondary didn't help that super aggressive defense

our safeties suck ass

Mr teX
09-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Too much time to prepare for the first game to perform this terrible

this...

euro-Texan
09-13-2009, 04:23 PM
WTH?

LOL. Who would they get to replace him? Nobody. The guy who supposedly is calling the shots on offense can't even let his QB audible out of a play that gets him killed (when there was three blitzers to one side and nobody to pick them up). I mean, it was like the OC and the offense were DRUGGED today. They stayed in quicksand all day long. And even when they did something positive (Slaton's doofus play) they still managed to foul it up.

I'm not ragging on what your mom said. I'm sure she saw what she saw.

But I would wager that Bob wants to see how everyone on that team reacts in the locker room. And to possibly say something to someone (to a coach, to some players, or the whole team).

I've read a lot of the venting posts today. I am upset, too. I won't lecture anybody on here. Today was a bad day, as it has been every year on opening day for us. Pretty hard to put a positive spin on it.

AS opposed to? Look I was just putting out what I was told. I knew I was going to take a beating before I hit submit

euro-Texan
09-13-2009, 04:25 PM
it is a fact that we were absolutely outcoached today anybody who cant see this is in denial. At this point..

rep!

mussop
09-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Bill Cowher anyone? :splits:

CoastalTexan
09-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Cowher... where are you?

m5kwatts
09-13-2009, 04:27 PM
If Kubiak was even close to being fired he'd be calling every offensive play.... he's got a long leash believe it or not and this really wasn't his fault. The players have to get it done eventually and so does the offensive coordinator.

mussop
09-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Cowher... where are you?

Our luck they will hire Shanahan SR.:mcnugget:

thunderwolf
09-13-2009, 04:29 PM
I think everyone needs to calm down a little bit, although I understand because I'm completely pissed and am in the middle of Cowboy country. It sucks to see every other student in this area celebrating and my room mate happy as I sit around read boards and try to come up with a reason to believe in the Houston Texans.
Maybe I'm just young, but I never got to really have a team in Houston to begin with. Even on days that suck for the Texans, I remember that atleast I have a team now and don't have to half heartedly root for the Cowboys who I was forced to grow up with because the Oilers left.
We've got a team, we've got a team that could be good, and from what I saw from the defense I can atleast keep some hope alive.
Kyle Shanahan probably isn't fit to be an OC at the moment, Kubiak needs to realize that and reclaim the offense that was so great with a decent defense and get it done. I don't want to jump the gun on firing Kubiak, I like the guy and have always hoped that McNair planned on running this franchise like the Steelers who keep a coach and let them build and continually compete. This team has made progress and gotten better talent wise, but if that doesn't show in wins then the coaching staff needs to be purged.
I always felt like we were a quarterback away, then a player away, now I wonder if we are just a coach away from greatness. I won't ever forget what Kubiak and Smith have done in building this team into a competitive one now, but if they can't get it done then McNair will have to get someone else.
I'm sure there are lots of coaches out there (Shanahan, Cowher) who would love to come back to bring a team with so much talent into the promise land.

Hervoyel
09-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Our luck they will hire Shanahan SR.:mcnugget:

Oh no doubt. McNair has screwed up twice already. I've seen no indication that the guy has learned anything in 7 years and I have no faith that he'll get it right on the third try.

I don't think Kubiak makes it to the end of the year. I think we might be looking at our first "interim head coach" at some point this season.

FirstTexansFan
09-13-2009, 04:32 PM
It's a sad day for me. This team could with little effort win fans, if they could only win games. I believe Mr. McNair wants a winner as badly as we the fans do, but it's time to get off the pot or pee. Fire'em all, bring in Cower. I'm sick of supporting this team.

LonerATO
09-13-2009, 04:33 PM
If Kubiak was even close to being fired he'd be calling every offensive play.... he's got a long leash believe it or not and this really wasn't his fault. The players have to get it done eventually and so does the offensive coordinator.

Then he should just take over the play calling and demote Shanny

m5kwatts
09-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Then he should just take over the play calling and demote Shanny

Or just take over play calling and keep Kyle as OC and have him learn a little longer before throwing him to the wolves

Trail.Blazr
09-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Fire Kube's??? you kidding... this was a TEAM loss. NOBODY showed up to play football today.

At one point the broadcast highlighted a 10 year old boy in the stands and suggested he could help the texans... are you kidding me? That's a total slap in the face to any man on the field.. which if any of them take exception, need to be slapped anyway.

I'm gonna call it like I see it... these girls in Texans uni's that showed up today obviously thought they didn't need to play today. That's not the HC's fault.. the ladies on the field play the game and get paid TOOO much to perform as sadly they did today.

http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-9529.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

mussop
09-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Fire Kube's??? you kidding... this was a TEAM loss. NOBODY showed up to play football today.

At one point the broadcast highlighted a 10 year old boy in the stands and suggested he could help the texans... are you kidding me? That's a total slap in the face to any man on the field.. which if any of them take exception, need to be slapped anyway.

I'm gonna call it like I see it... these girls in Texans uni's that showed up today obviously thought they didn't need to play today. That's not the HC's fault.. the ladies on the field play the game and get paid TOOO much to perform as sadly they did today.

Hate to break this to you but player performance is a reflection of the coaching.

Spike
09-13-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't think it is realistic that Kubes is gone during the season, but I think after the pre-season and this first game, he is going to have to get this team above .500 to keep his job.

I like Kubes and really want him to succeed. I like him so much, I wanted to believe that basic things like clock management would get better with time. I wanted to believe that we had such far inferior talent that we weren't competitive in certain games.

I am not an x's and o's guy, but based on the body of work, it just seems that Kubes doesn't prepapre his team well. We don't look like we are ready to play from the first snap, which also indicates that he can't get these guys motivated.

I don't think we are that far away talent-wise. I think that our coaching staff regular gets out-done. It is time to be honest about it.

IlliniJen
09-13-2009, 04:53 PM
You bishes better remember my "fire Kubiak" posts from the end of last season...there were only a few of us among the "we've improved, keep Kubiak" crowd. The few, the unproud, the fire Kubiak folks.

One of my biggest issues with the man? Preparing this team for game day. This team came out ill prepared, flat, and lacking on-field leadership. Same old story, different season.

And Frank Bush? How long into the game does it take to figure out to put more than front 4 pressure on a rookie QB?

Sigh.

eriadoc
09-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I just wanted my new sig included in the "Fire Kubiak" thread.

Goldensilence
09-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't think it is realistic that Kubes is gone during the season, but I think after the pre-season and this first game, he is going to have to get this team above .500 to keep his job.

I like Kubes and really want him to succeed. I like him so much, I wanted to believe that basic things like clock management would get better with time. I wanted to believe that we had such far inferior talent that we weren't competitive in certain games.

I am not an x's and o's guy, but based on the body of work, it just seems that Kubes doesn't prepapre his team well. We don't look like we are ready to play from the first snap, which also indicates that he can't get these guys motivated.

I don't think we are that far away talent-wise. I think that our coaching staff regular gets out-done. It is time to be honest about it.

Agree, Kubiak should be on the hot seat from here on out through the season in McNair's eyes at least. I'm already sold on it though.

This team looked unprepared and again it failed to make in game adjustments or hell even half time adjustments. I'm tired of a staff that consistently gets out coached in all facets of the game.

I'm tired of rookie or typically bad QBs coming in and lighting the team up.

Texan4Ever
09-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Guys, this was the first game of the season against a very good Jets team and everyone here is calling for Kubiak's head! What's wrong with everyone? The Texans are known to struggle in the early part of the season but I have no doubt in my mind that we WILL improve as the season goes on.

Kubiak will take everyone back to the basics and the team is gonna' practice harder and hopefully we will see an improved team next week. I hope to see us improve our passing attack once Walters comes back.

Don't mess with my Texans! :bat:

houstonhurricane
09-13-2009, 04:59 PM
There is ZERO chance that McNair fires Kubiak this season...none. Awful, awful game and we were outcoached and outplayed. However, it is a long season (probably longer than we would like), so let's see how this plays out and hope that we can man up and figure out a way to hang with the Tacks next week.

HTown2ATX
09-13-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't know that we need to fire Kubiak now....BUT....if this happens next week (which probably will up in possum hollar against a good defense) and the 2 games after that against JAX and OAK we lose or look bad winning (those are bad teams and these 1st 4 games were supposed to be the easy part of our schedule) then Kubes needs to be on a flamingly hot seat and or fired on the spot. Player performance and preparedness falls on coaching and they looked lost today. Here in Austin it's all Cowboys and Longhorns all the time with a little tossle of the Texans hair now and then when the local media feels like it. Every year I think and say that we are going somewhere blah blah blah then I get to look like a baffoon. Thanks Texans! There new slogan should be "I'm a Texan, but only because the Oilers skipped town". Yay go team! Like a fool, I'm sure that I'll still sit through every game fooling myself that they'll finally turn into the tough, hard hitting, high flying team I expect after all these years. I love this team, but damn they make it as hard as possible on the fans!!

:splits:

nut
09-13-2009, 05:00 PM
This team has never had a heart. This team was not prepared to play the NYJ today. Everybody played like crap. The coaching stunk on both sides of the ball. Baby Shanny is only coaching because Kubiak is kissing Shanny Sr's butt. He is a horrible coach who is only still here because he is a local Houston guy.

OzzO
09-13-2009, 05:12 PM
for what it's worth my Mom just called me from reliant and said that in the 4th, McNair and company went to the field and walked Kubiak off the field.....

They showed McNair on the sidelines early in the game, I think he was down there just to capture the moment of our first win in 2009!

...maybe next game

Hervoyel
09-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Guys, this was the first game of the season against a very good Jets team and everyone here is calling for Kubiak's head! What's wrong with everyone? The Texans are known to struggle in the early part of the season but I have no doubt in my mind that we WILL improve as the season goes on.

Kubiak will take everyone back to the basics and the team is gonna' practice harder and hopefully we will see an improved team next week. I hope to see us improve our passing attack once Walters comes back.

Don't mess with my Texans! :bat:

Let's all go over that first sentence shall we?

"Guys, this was the first game of the season against a very good Jets team and everyone here is calling for Kubiak's head!"

Yes, it was the first game of the season. It wasn't however the first game of Gary Kubiak's head coaching tenure here. It was his 49th game and that's a lot of games my friend. That's over three seasons worth of games. Do you know what else? That's 49 games that I've watched the Texans play like 11 marshmallows. That's 49 games that I've spent watching an offensive line that can't block for shit and a defense that can't consistently tackle for shit. That's 49 games of watching this team beat only those teams that are clearly bottom feeders, overlooking the current game, or suffering from some injury problem.

When was the last time we saw the Houston Texans walk out on to a field and beat the snot out of a really good team?

This was indeed a "very good Jets team". They finished 9-7 last season. We finished 8-8. That is a difference in just one game but you and I both know that the real difference is much bigger. Rex Ryan is a rookie HC. He started a rookie QB. He had to sit two of his best defenders. He brought that team to Houston and beat the shit out of us from start to finish. His team was playing their asses off for him.

Our team "loves" to play for Kubiak. They're his "kids". He just can't say enough about how hard they try. He's been trying to find the words for three damned year to describe it.

Meanwhile in one preseason and camp Rex Ryan has the Jets going out on the road and destroying teams that are (from a final record point at least) presumably in the same ballpark as his own.

We're doing it wrong. Anyone who can't see that the Texans are doing it wrong is either blind or in denial.

Sadly I can't say you're wrong about the "Fire Kubiak" thought. What would that really accomplish? Bob McNair is just going to go out and find some other good, earnest, honest, and low-key guy to play shepherd to his boy scout troop.

Why bother firing Kubiak? What's the point?

IlliniJen
09-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Our team "loves" to play for Kubiak. They're his "kids". He just can't say enough about how hard they try. He's been trying to find the words for three damned year to describe it.

I don't buy this. I've seen teams that love to play for their HC and play hard for him, and the Texans don't resemble those types of teams at all.

Fox
09-13-2009, 05:32 PM

Great post and I agree completely. I am a huge Kubiak fan. He's a straight shooter, a good guy, and you can tell he wants to win for this city more than anything. Unfortunately things aren't working out for him. I've seen enough years of this MB to take the game day knee-jerking with a grain of salt, but hell my knees are a little achy right now from the same.

I may be crazy but I see talent on the field, we don't lack the players to win IMO. Today I saw us thoroughly out-coached. Rex Ryans was able to bring consistent pressure with his two best pass rushers out of the game because our coaching staff couldn't figure out how to counter his X's and O's. Our defense was mediocre, better than I expected and the only thing that kept my interest into the 4th quarter, but our offense - Kubiak's only ace in the hole - was completely confused and impotent.

I'm not ready to grab the pink soap yet, but I'm thinking about it for the first time since Kubiak took over.

V3rm0nt3r
09-13-2009, 05:33 PM
wow this thread is entertaining. i think it's a little early to be hanging up the fire Kubes thread this early. he should think about taking a little more control during the offensive possesions but i think it's a bit early to be calling for the chopping block. any time you get beat like this these threads come up. hell we saw them start in the pre-season. we need Gibb's line to make bigger holes for Slaton, we need a better secondary, more talent inside on the DL, and the ability to stop someone in the clutch. we do NOT need more of this crap until at least halfway through the season. and Marcus just for ******** and giggles, it's just the first game.

Silver Oak
09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Im not on board with firing anyone (except Myers), but if we did, who is out there right now that we could hire? Cowher won't come either, so let's hear some other names from you guys being the most vocal.

Hervoyel
09-13-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't buy this. I've seen teams that love to play for their HC and play hard for him, and the Texans don't resemble those types of teams at all.

Nobody ever said it was the right kind of "love to play for coach". I'd love a job too where I was never pushed to do better and got paid millions of dollars a year to do it. When players talk about how they love to play for a coach you have to look at which players are saying that and what those players are actually doing on the field.

When our guys say it I think it's a bad sign, not a good one.

Hervoyel
09-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Im not on board with firing anyone (except Myers), but if we did, who is out there right now that we could hire? Cowher won't come either, so let's hear some other names from you guys being the most vocal.

I don't think firing Kubiak would help either. I doubt our owner and GM have the necessary skills to find a replacement who would be any better.

eriadoc
The bottom line is we don't control the LOS. We never have. And after thinking about my newly acquired sig, I am not sure what to attribute it to. I know one thing for sure - you can't attribute the O-line woes to Kubiak. That doesn't mean he isn't accountable, but the difference is in who's actually doing the coaching. So we have a coach with a sterling reputation due to results and he can't do anything with our guys on the O-line? How is that Kubiak's fault? Like I said, I know he'll take the fall for it; that's the price for being at the top. I'm OK with that, but right now I'm more interested in diagnosing.

As for defense, we have had Bill Kollar, Frank Bush, Richard Smith, Jethro Franklin, Jon Hoke, Ray Rhodes, and who knows who else work with most of these same players. And the results have been the same. It's easy to see who the good players are, but after the top 3 or 4 defensive players, it gets fuzzy. Are all these coaches really that inept? Is Kubiak going into the meeting rooms in the middle of the night and erasing the white boards with all the X and O plays? WTF?

Maybe there's talent on this team, but that talent sure as hell isn't doing anything with it. Maybe all these coaches really are inept. Maybe the Texans have somehow managed to hire more line coaches than any other team in the NFL and find all the ones that suck. Maybe Ray Rhodes' success in the past was all a fluke.

mussop

Jimmy Johnson????
Why do you say Cower wont come here?

TexansSeminole
09-13-2009, 05:48 PM
I've seen enough of this. I've watched too many teams turned around by rookie head coaches to continue to give Kubiak time. We are never ready for opening day. Its the same shit every single year. I've heard the excuse "we always start out slow.". Yea? Well that's a big f'n problem guys. How about the excuse "well we don't have any decent safeties.". How long have we had to draft a damn safety. I'm tired of the CC Brown approach to building a team. Let's draft guys in the 5th and 6th round and maybe it works out. No.

Every administrative decision that Kubiak has made has failed. Mike Sherman, lil shanny, Richard Smith, Rick Smith, and now Frank Bush seems to be falling into the same category.

Look at what Rick Smith has done. Okoye is a complete bust IMO. Bennett is really bad. He for some reason doesn't believe we need better safeties. Developmental corners. He seems to be pissing off our vets; he's pissed off Owen and DeMeco. This is not working guys. Our best recent draft class was Casserly's doing.

Our QB can't identify the blitz before the snap to save his life. He holds onto the ball for entirely too long and doesn't seem to have the awareness to locate the first down marker. He threw the ball for 5 yards when we need 9 like 4 times today. On top of that he is fragile. This is KUBIAK'S guy. Remember, the QB guru.

Andre Johnson deserves to leave. I feel so sorry for him.

Why is it that other teams turn around quickly but after 3 years of failure some of you can't see what right in front of you?

Goldensilence
09-13-2009, 05:49 PM

OP didn't say fire right now, and I don't think most people are on board with firing him now. End of the season is probably something very different.

You do have a good point on would we really want to see anyone on the staff as the interim HC anyway.The only person on the staff that inspires any confidence in that area is Ray Rhodes and I don't think he be up for that.

LonerATO
09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Jimmy Johnson????

I cant understand why we dont try and find a young coach with some balls and give him the job. Dan Reeves opinion helped in the hiring of Kube's and it has shown that Mike and Gary cant win without each other.

euro-Texan
09-13-2009, 05:51 PM
I say bring in Mike Shanahan. He knows the plan. Hell it's his plan. I just think he would hold the team accountable. Kubiak falling on his sword over and over is getting old.

Hervoyel
09-13-2009, 05:51 PM
The bottom line is we don't control the LOS. We never have. And after thinking about my newly acquired sig, I am not sure what to attribute it to. I know one thing for sure - you can't attribute the O-line woes to Kubiak. That doesn't mean he isn't accountable, but the difference is in who's actually doing the coaching. So we have a coach with a sterling reputation due to results and he can't do anything with our guys on the O-line? How is that Kubiak's fault? Like I said, I know he'll take the fall for it; that's the price for being at the top. I'm OK with that, but right now I'm more interested in diagnosing.

As for defense, we have had Bill Kollar, Frank Bush, Richard Smith, Jethro Franklin, Jon Hoke, Ray Rhodes, and who knows who else work with most of these same players. And the results have been the same. It's easy to see who the good players are, but after the top 3 or 4 defensive players, it gets fuzzy. Are all these coaches really that inept? Is Kubiak going into the meeting rooms in the middle of the night and erasing the white boards with all the X and O plays? WTF?

Maybe there's talent on this team, but that talent sure as hell isn't doing anything with it. Maybe all these coaches really are inept. Maybe the Texans have somehow managed to hire more line coaches than any other team in the NFL and find all the ones that suck. Maybe Ray Rhodes' success in the past was all a fluke.

Maybe, maybe, maybe. I'm right there with you on that. What's going on?

Are we catching these guys at the end of their respective careers? Is that happening? Is Alex Gibbs still able to do what he's famous for doing? I mean, these are pretty much all his guys. He inherited Pitts and Winston but Brown, Myers, and Briseil (sp? who cares, he sucks) are there on his watch.

I don't know. I do know we'll never have a guy who's "trouble" on this team. We'll never bring in someone who has any kind of edge. I think we go for guys who are all good citizens over everything else and that no coach in the world could turn a cub scout troop like this into a real nasty offensive line. We draft like crap and I think we're looking much of the time for qualities that other teams would scratch their heads at. I don't mean thugs and Pac Man types but when have we ever drafted an offensive lineman who was just "nasty"? Spencer maybe? I watched the Pitt-Tenn game and I was just enjoying the hell out of watching Tennessee's center manhandle guys and hold the front of that pocket. When have we ever had anybody do that here?

Our needs are many, our front office is stupid, and it's a year until we can even begin to address any of them. 2009 is going to be 2005 all over again. I can feel it in my bones. This team is going to be the death of me. I sometimes wish LA had gotten this team because Bob McNair does not have what it takes to be an NFL owner. Not a successful one at least and if Houston has to have a lousy NFL team I'd rather they not have one at all.

Silver Oak
09-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Jimmy Johnson????

when he was last asked, I thought he said he was going to remain retired. I wasn't stating that he was against specifically coming to Houston.

LonerATO
09-13-2009, 05:55 PM
when he was last asked, I thought he said he was going to remain retired. I wasn't stating that he was against specifically coming to Houston.

I think Fox gets fired this year and Cowher stays at home and takes over the panthers

Lucky
09-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Bill Cowher anyone? :splits:
www.billcowher4texans.com is available.

mussop
09-13-2009, 05:57 PM

Ok thought maybe I missed something.

Ckw
09-13-2009, 06:00 PM

Logic and reason in this kind of a thread?!?! I think you better leave.

IlliniJen
09-13-2009, 06:01 PM

I believe that coaches will remain retired about as much as I believe that Favre will remain retired. Great coaches always have that itch.

GNTLEWOLF
09-13-2009, 06:06 PM
well in all fairness our secondary didn't help that super aggressive defense

our safeties suck ass

Not aimed at anybody in particular....but you mean Dunta didn't come in and make our defensive backfield shine? Unfortunately, I didn't get to se the game, I had expected to lose, but not this bad. It is the same thing every year.

MEGA SWATT
09-13-2009, 06:11 PM
I say bring in Mike Shanahan. He knows the plan. Hell it's his plan. I just think he would hold the team accountable. Kubiak falling on his sword over and over is getting old.

Yes, Kubes has to go. It is always 3rd and 45 and he is always going for it on 4th and 2--that is Dom Capers-light.

bye kubes.

He will be fired by midseason.

False Start
09-13-2009, 06:17 PM
With all of these "fire" threads, it looks like an episode of B&B in here, lol.

"Kubes", needs to step it up this season, or its time for him to move on IMO.

Lucky
09-13-2009, 06:18 PM
After the Jets took the 2nd half kickoff and drove the field for a TD to make it 17-zip, I looked to the sidelines to see what Kubiak was doing. I thought he might be chewing out some players, maybe some coaches. Something.

Nope. He was standing about 20 yards from anyone else, reading what looked to be a Denny's laminated menu. So with nothing worth seeing on the field, I decided to watch Kubiak for the rest of the game. Maybe he was looking for answers. Or maybe he was deciding between the patty melt or possibly fool everyone and go for the Lumberjack Slam. Only his waitress knows for sure.

Did Kubiak ever rejoin the team, coach up some players, get in the face of some assistants? Ever? Nope. He just starred down that menu for the rest of the half, other than checking on an injured Shaun Cody late in the game. In a very disinterested fashion. I've never seen a coach take a beating like the Texans took, and seem so unemotional and detached.

Gary Kubiak. Dead Coach Walking. And it's only Week One. Try the migas, Gary. Extra jalapenos. You need some fire in your belly.

Texecutioner
Good lord why are people still mentioning Cowher here? The guy is never coming to Houston and we aren't even on his radar.

For many of the Kubiak worshipers in here, it's pretty weak to be wanting him fired after one game after so many arguments and arguments of what a great coach he is and how he was going to be the next Jeff Fisher and all and how crazy some of us were told we were for saying that the guy wasn't all that.

Newsflash, Kubes has never been a great coach here and probably never will. People bought into this guy because he was a hot name at the time when Capers was fired.

MEGA SWATT
With all of these "fire" threads, it looks like an episode of B&B in here, lol.

"Kubes", needs to step it up this season, or its time for him to move on IMO.

He needs to be gone yesterday

gwallaia
09-13-2009, 06:22 PM
When Kubiak is fired, who do the Texans bring in? Is it best to do it now, early in the season or wait until the end of the season?

If I was Bob McNair, I would be on the phone with Bill Cowher and ask him what he would do as Texans coach. Let him know that Kubiak will be gone soon and to start formulating his ideas............And oh yeah, how much money he wants.

Kubiak has no competitive spirit, he has no drive, he has no heart. He is a lousy uninspiring coach.

There, I feel better.

Brisco_County
09-13-2009, 06:26 PM

Mike Shanahan. Everything is already set up for that to happen. Other than his offense already being in place, the chance to work with his son would be the most attractive reason.

Vinny
09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Gary "It's on me" Kubiak. I'm starting to believe him.

Wolf
09-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Gary "It's on me" Kubiak. I'm starting to believe him.

at least when I coached, we didn't "execute "

http://z.about.com/d/houston/1/0/o/-/-/-/doncapers.jpg

:dancer:

Jackie Chiles
09-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I have been rooting for Kubiak but today's loss was definitely a gut check. I tend to agree with Herv's take that we beat up on the sorry sacks and get thumped by the big boys (the large majority of the time). I might have been too patient on this one, it looks bad right now.

Another thing, how on earth did it take this long for Rex Ryan to land a HC gig. Wow, just wow. He and his team look like they are headed for big things, if not this year in the near future. I am envious.

Mr. White
09-13-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't think firing Kubiak would help either. I doubt our owner and GM have the necessary skills to find a replacement who would be any better.

We're just screwed either way. One thing we know about McNair is that he doesn't do anything quick.

The system is so ****ed up that it'll take 3-4 years to get the right guys in place to un**** it.

The defense is JV and the ZBS is a joke.

wagonhed
09-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Jon Gruden? :)

Marcus
09-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I sometimes wish LA had gotten this team because Bob McNair does not have what it takes to be an NFL owner. Not a successful one at least and if Houston has to have a lousy NFL team I'd rather they not have one at all.

If it was anyone else besides you who said that Herv, there would probably be the standard "you're not really a fan" BS comeback.

But I agree with you 100%. I would much rather be without a team than a team that always sucks. It just ruins watching other NFL games, because instead of getting to just enjoy a game for what it is, all you end up doing is watching other teams and wonder why the Texans can't be like them.

That's what sucks more than anything else.

Edit: I wish there was a "switch" that I could turn off that would instantly stop making me interested in this team. But that's not the way it works, sadly.

mussop
09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Jon Gruden? :)

I would rather become a Cowboy fan than have Jon Gruden as a coach. If you knew how bad I hate the Cowboys you would understand the signifacance of that statement. Just say NO to Chucky!

LonerATO
09-13-2009, 07:39 PM
I would rather become a Cowboy fan than have Jon Gruden as a coach. If you knew how bad I hate the Cowboys you would understand the signifacance of that statement. Just say NO to Chucky!

I think Gruden wants the ND job

Hervoyel
09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
If it was anyone else besides you who said that Herv, there would probably be the standard "you're not really a fan" BS comeback.

But I agree with you 100%. I would much rather be without a team than a team that always sucks. It just ruins watching other NFL games, because instead of getting to just enjoy a game for what it is, all you end up doing is watching other teams and wonder why the Texans can't be like them.

That's what sucks more than anything else.

Edit: I wish there was a "switch" that I could turn off that would instantly stop making me interested in this team. But that's not the way it works, sadly.

I've often wished I could not care about this as much as I do. A game like today destroys my week. I went and took a nap for the last, hell I don't know how long I was in there. I just get so low when they go out there and suck to the heavens. I swear it has nothing to do with losing. I can take losing if I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I could have watched us play a hard fought game and then lost it at the end on a FG or a TD and I would be fine. I'd be in here talking about plays we didn't make and next weeks game and even though we lost I'd be involved in the post-game "thing" we all do.

A game like today just breaks me at this point. I'm so sick of watching them suck. I'm sick of watching them get bent over by good teams that I can't stand to see it happen now. It's been almost a decade and they're going nowhere. Again. It ruins the sport for me when we're not even competitive.

euro-Texan
09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
shouldn't the pain have stopped by now? This is like when you hit your shin real hard and yo think it's just a stinger, but ou have really broke your leg.

euro-Texan
09-13-2009, 07:52 PM
I've often wished I could not care about this as much as I do. A game like today destroys my week. I went and took a nap for the last, hell I don't know how long I was in there. I just get so low when they go out there and suck to the heavens. I swear it has nothing to do with losing. I can take losing if I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I could have watched us play a hard fought game and then lost it at the end on a FG or a TD and I would be fine. I'd be in here talking about plays we didn't make and next weeks game and even though we lost I'd be involved in the post-game "thing" we all do.

A game like today just breaks me at this point. I'm so sick of watching them suck. I'm sick of watching them get bent over by good teams that I can't stand to see it happen now. It's been almost a decade and they're going nowhere. Again. It ruins the sport for me when we're not even competitive.

oh there is a light coming. It's a locomotive with a tack on it and next week we can discuss our shitty situation all over again

TEXANRED
09-13-2009, 07:58 PM
After the Jets took the 2nd half kickoff and drove the field for a TD to make it 17-zip, I looked to the sidelines to see what Kubiak was doing. I thought he might be chewing out some players, maybe some coaches. Something.

Nope. He was standing about 20 yards from anyone else, reading what looked to be a Denny's laminated menu. So with nothing worth seeing on the field, I decided to watch Kubiak for the rest of the game. Maybe he was looking for answers. Or maybe he was deciding between the patty melt or possibly fool everyone and go for the Lumberjack Slam. Only his waitress knows for sure.

Did Kubiak ever rejoin the team, coach up some players, get in the face of some assistants? Ever? Nope. He just starred down that menu for the rest of the half, other than checking on an injured Shaun Cody late in the game. In a very disinterested fashion. I've never seen a coach take a beating like the Texans took, and seem so unemotional and detached.

Gary Kubiak. Dead Coach Walking. And it's only Week One. Try the migas, Gary. Extra jalapenos. You need some fire in your belly.

This reminds me of Dom Capers note pad and non of us could figure out what the heck he was always writing down.

Maybe Kubes is reading up on Yahoo's top 10 donts during a job interview.

LonerATO
09-13-2009, 07:59 PM
I just cant help but feel that this team is like every other bottom feeder in the league and the fans are bleed dry while they hope for a winner.

TEXANRED
09-13-2009, 08:02 PM

Cheer up Herv, this time next year the country will be talking about how the Texans are going to start Colt McCoy against there week one opponent.

chicagotexan2
09-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Before today I had not even considered dumping Kubiak, but after this pathetic performance I am ready to sign the Hire Bill Cowher petition letter. I would not be this upset if we had lost a close game, but we just got dominated in every facet of the game. I am even more upset that I watched the whole debacle. I can only think of a handful of players to keep for next season and Schaub, Okoye and Chris Meyers are not on that list.

Kaiser Toro
09-13-2009, 08:11 PM
That stung, I am still in a daze.

As others have mentioned I too was watching him on the sidelines while the kids were playing, and was waiting for him to break out orange slices and hand out ribbons.

Kubiak's BS press conference put me over the edge. I could not believe what I heard. It is time for him to gracefully step aside, take some time off with the family and get his head straight - he simply is not ready to be a head coach, in this town, at this time. Well, maybe he could just take the week off leading up to a game with an aggressive defense, but that would leave us with Kubiak lite.

The issue is, where is the check on Kubiak? Is it Smith? Is it McNair? Because right now, Kubiak needs to coach the offense and be accountable for something other than preparing the team to be soft.

bckey
09-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Chris Meyers was man handled by Jenkins all day. Schaub looked like $hit. Slaton was horrible. The defense continued missing tackles as usual. The game was a complete embarrassment to the city of Houston. We will have to hear about how great Sanchez is all week only to watch another team make him look like a scared rookie and destroy him. Sorry Kubiak but you had that deer in the headlights look today.

TEXANRED
09-13-2009, 08:18 PM
That stung, I am still in a daze.

As others have mentioned I too was watching him on the sidelines while the kids were playing, and was waiting for him to break out orange slices and hand out ribbons.

Kubiak's BS press conference put me over the edge. I could not believe what I heard. It is time for him to gracefully step aside, take some time off with the family and get his head straight - he simply is not ready to be a head coach, in this town, at this time. Well, maybe he could just take the week off leading up to a game with an aggressive defense, but that would leave us with Kubiak lite.

The issue is, where is the check on Kubiak? Is it Smith? Is it McNair? Because right now, Kubiak needs to coach the offense and be accountable for something other than preparing the team to be soft.

This is Kubiaks 4th year with no mention of a contract extension leading up to this season. Maybe he is hoping to get fired so he can coach in Dallas next year with Pappa Shanny.

eriadoc
09-13-2009, 08:20 PM

This is kind of what terrifies me as a fan, actually. OK, Kubiak is responsible, so fire him. Who's responsible for Kubiak? Rick Smith? I don't think so. Fire him anyway. OK, at the end of all that, you still haven't solved the problem, because Kubiak is not the one coaching the players that are showing the worst results. I think we'd all agree that Kubiak is/has coached Schaub and the offensive skill position players. Today notwithstanding, they've done better than anyone else on the team.

We don't control the LOS at all. Well, Alex Gibbs has had success everywhere but here. Kollar, Franklin, Bush, Smith, Rhodes .... they all coach defense. Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen? I don't care if we lose Kubiak, but I am worried that it won't solve anything. And that is a scary thought.

LonerATO
09-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Having to live in San Antonio due to work, I can say that you guys aren't alone in pissed off fans at their coach. Im not a Cowboys fan, but that is pretty much all that is talked around here and they ride Wade's ass hard all day everyday about how he coaches and how he treats his players. I just seem to see a correlation between both Kube's and his ho hum attitude and the way Wade does the same thing.

Wolf
09-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I can't help but laugh by now

last time Rex Ryans defense was against Kubiak

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55654&highlight=ravens&page=32

Norg
09-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I for one wouldnt mind Shanhan Its the same phlosphys and the transition would be easy get the Guy who taught our coach

Or hey maybe BIll cower will come in and at least help us

if a wk1 rookie head coach came in and owned us i dont see the big deal

If a gear is not woking lets fix it with another gear iam all for changing HC after wk 1

Texecutioner
09-13-2009, 08:25 PM
This has got to be one of the weakest threads I've ever seen in here.

Over half the posters in here have sworn by Kubiak as the next Fisher or Bill Cowher ever since I've been in this forum. Hell, I've been cursed at and insulted a number of times for talking about how Kubiak isn't about shit as a HC and how he was nothing but average, and after one game all of the Kubiak worshipers want him canned now? Boy how the worms can turn.

Sorry guys, this looks weak coming from a lot of you that have sworn Kubes was the man for so long now and gone on and on about how how him and Smith were such a great tandem of a HC and GM and how they were doing everything right by "building this team slowly."

Wolf
09-13-2009, 08:28 PM
noway with shanahan .. first bad game, it would be the same ole threads fire Mike.. we need a different system etc etc

Hervoyel
09-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Over half the posters in here have sworn by Kubiak as the next Fisher or Bill Cowher ever since I've been in this forum. Hell, I've been cursed at and insulted a number of times for talking about how Kubiak isn't about shit as a HC and how he was nothing but average, and after one game all of the Kubiak worshipers want him canned now? Boy how the worms can turn.

Sorry guys, this looks weak coming from a lot of you that have sworn Kubes was the man for so long now and gone on and on about how how him and Smith were such a great tandem of a HC and GM and how they were doing everything right by "building this team slowly."

Welcome to my ignore list. It's been a long time coming.

gary
09-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I ROL my way through this thread. No one really knows what to do with this team or what would work. I mean no one. Everyone is to blame for the loss today except the cheerleaders, waterboy, and Toro. This team is a mess. A real mess from top to bottom. The next thing we'll be hearing is oh, don't worry the secondary will play better when Reevs comes back or the passing game will be better once Walter is back. I'm tired of it all tired of the lame reasons this team gives after every single loss. Shanny is too young to be calling the plays. The team needs a spark in the ass the thing is the don't have that attitude guy with mean streak as in a Ray Lewis or a Peppers. I don't know is keeping or letting Gary go is what should be done none of us are. They play lack luster and we don't know why that is but I'm about ready for Bob to fire everyone in that FO having to do with team operations.

Texecutioner
09-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Welcome to my ignore list. It's been a long time coming.

The classic "welcome to my ignore list" post. Lol!

Real impressive Herv.

Sorry, but it's pretty ridiculous to turn on your boy after one game, when just a few weeks ago Kubes was thought of as this great coach and a god around here that we were so lucky to have by so many people.

The irony in this after one game is simply crazy. So much confidence has been put into Kubiak by so many posters that I've seen in here that wouldn't even hear it if you questioned this guy as a HC, and now after one game some of you want him canned?? Amazing.

Kaiser Toro
09-13-2009, 08:44 PM
This is kind of what terrifies me as a fan, actually. OK, Kubiak is responsible, so fire him. Who's responsible for Kubiak? Rick Smith? I don't think so. Fire him anyway. OK, at the end of all that, you still haven't solved the problem, because Kubiak is not the one coaching the players that are showing the worst results. I think we'd all agree that Kubiak is/has coached Schaub and the offensive skill position players. Today notwithstanding, they've done better than anyone else on the team.

We don't control the LOS at all. Well, Alex Gibbs has had success everywhere but here. Kollar, Franklin, Bush, Smith, Rhodes .... they all coach defense. Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen? I don't care if we lose Kubiak, but I am worried that it won't solve anything. And that is a scary thought.

It is frustrating. Kubiak is a good offensive coach, history is on his side, and we have seen him develop the offense since taking over in 2006. I understand he is not a rah-rah guy, and teams do win without that BS. But his philosophy and demeanor are so entrenched I am not sure who has the balls on the staff to challenge him or the role description to make a change or put him on notice.

I have always been a firm believer in running your stuff, but aggressive defenses have shown us that they can take away our whole game plan. What it boils down to is, that Kubiak is a horrible when it comes to adjustments and clock management. We need a head coach, not a developer of coordinators.

eriadoc
09-13-2009, 08:49 PM
It is frustrating. Kubiak is a good offensive coach, history is on his side, and we have seen him develop the offense since taking over in 2006. I understand he is not a rah-rah guy, and teams do win without that BS. But his philosophy and demeanor are so entrenched I am not sure who has the balls on the staff to challenge him or the role description to make a change or put him on notice.

I have always been a firm believer in running your stuff, but aggressive defenses have shown us that they can take away our whole game plan. What it boils down to is, that Kubiak is a horrible when it comes to adjustments and clock management. We need a head coach, not a developer of coordinators.

I don't even think he's a developer of coordinators. I just think he's an OC who's in over his head. So that's reason enough to fire him. But the team's problems run deeper than that. Firing Kubiak only fixes one small part of the equation - it opens a spot for someone else. Then that someone else comes in and has to do something with the players. And I'm not convinced that 7 of our 11 defensive starters should be out there as starters. And I'm also not convinced that 3 of our 5 starting OL should be out there as starters. Hell, I'm not convinced that Schaub is ever going to be the guy that reads a pre-snap blitz and makes the necessary adjustment at the line.

Ckw
09-13-2009, 08:56 PM
I for one have been a major Kubiak supporter. But this game definitely has me questioning him. The thing that pisses me off the most is why the hell doesn't he let his QB audible? Is he that freakin arrogant that he thinks every play he/Shanny calls is the right play?!? If his QB is too stupid to read a freakin defense, shouldn't he find a new QB? If this is the case, I do want Kubiak gone. Can anyone name another successful coach that refused to allow his QB to audible out of the play?

GP
09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
I for one have been a major Kubiak supporter. But this game definitely has me questioning him. The thing that pisses me off the most is why the hell doesn't he let his QB audible? Is he that freakin arrogant that he thinks every play he/Shanny calls is the right play?!? If his QB is too stupid to read a freakin defense, shouldn't he find a new QB? If this is the case, I do want Kubiak gone. Can anyone name another successful coach that refused to allow his QB to audible out of the play?

Like that one time when Schaub wasn't getting the play in from the headset or from the sideline, and he stood there begging to get the play from someone.

Did it ever occur to him to just get in the F%$@#@! huddle, like a QB should, and call a play that he thought might work?

Nooooooo....that would have been mutiny, I suppose.

I mean, seriously: This looked like we just threw a team together in the past two months and faced the Patriots or something.

Did the team spend this week high on LSD? Did they think they could really pull off a win with the kind of strategy that they employed all day today?

They acted like everything was supposed to just start working on its own, by default, and at some point things would just magically start clicking. It had all the marks of players not being mentally ready. And that has been my singular gripe against Kubiak: Lack of intensity/focus/preparedness on game day.

gary
09-13-2009, 09:31 PM
This team needs the terminator to come into their team meeting this week and raise hell period.

TexansFight
09-13-2009, 10:12 PM

Go to hell Grid. You must have been the loser calling in to the post game show saying Kubiak was a good guy. LAME!!!

Ckw
09-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Like that one time when Schaub wasn't getting the play in from the headset or from the sideline, and he stood there begging to get the play from someone.

Did it ever occur to him to just get in the F%$@#@! huddle, like a QB should, and call a play that he thought might work?

Nooooooo....that would have been mutiny, I suppose.

I mean, seriously: This looked like we just threw a team together in the past two months and faced the Patriots or something.

Did the team spend this week high on LSD? Did they think they could really pull off a win with the kind of strategy that they employed all day today?

They acted like everything was supposed to just start working on its own, by default, and at some point things would just magically start clicking. It had all the marks of players not being mentally ready. And that has been my singular gripe against Kubiak: Lack of intensity/focus/preparedness on game day.

And that is what I am trying to figure out. Does Kubiak not want his QBs to have more control because he thinks they are too stupid to handle the responsibility? Or is Kubiak so arrogant that he believes whatever he calls will work, and there is no need for the QB to change the play? Either way, I don't like it. Even if we make the playoffs, this is something that has to be addressed.

V3rm0nt3r
09-13-2009, 11:36 PM

i'm with this guy. kind of.

i mean the first part i am totally with. this is a weak thread and a lot of people are jumping ship early. too early in my mind. a lot of people were even starting to get upset at preseason games. you know those games that happen BEFORE anything really MATTERS. Kubes, in my mind, was hired right before owners started robbing the cradle so a lot of us see the Bucs the Broncos and the Ravens with these young guys who are jumping up and celebrating with their players and say "we want that" when, in reality, we have an expierianced guy who likes to stick to his guns rather than gamble. i'd take that over a new younger guy who we will have to give another 3 years to build HIS team up and find HIS franchise QB (imagine if Denver got Orton for Cutler what we will get for Schaub... Schaun Hill?).

hell you guys live in Texas and the guy who lives up in the first state to legalize gay marriage without a supreme court ruling is the one telling you that being conservative works. what the hell is this world coming to?

Texecutioner
09-14-2009, 12:17 AM
i'm with this guy. kind of.

i mean the first part i am totally with. this is a weak thread and a lot of people are jumping ship early. too early in my mind. a lot of people were even starting to get upset at preseason games. you know those games that happen BEFORE anything really MATTERS. Kubes, in my mind, was hired right before owners started robbing the cradle so a lot of us see the Bucs the Broncos and the Ravens with these young guys who are jumping up and celebrating with their players and say "we want that" when, in reality, we have an expierianced guy who likes to stick to his guns rather than gamble. i'd take that over a new younger guy who we will have to give another 3 years to build HIS team up and find HIS franchise QB (imagine if Denver got Orton for Cutler what we will get for Schaub... Schaun Hill?).

hell you guys live in Texas and the guy who lives up in the first state to legalize gay marriage without a supreme court ruling is the one telling you that being conservative works. what the hell is this world coming to?

Well the thing is that for the last two years Kubiak has been thought of as a "GOD" around here. I've heard argument after argument how he's going to be this wonderful coach and how putting him on the hot seat after two years of 8-8 was down right ridiculous and then the statements of how last year's 8-8 was so much better than the 8-8 from the year before which was the more recent one Kubes worshipers threw out. People have tried to make all of these ridiculous comparisons of how it was like when Fisher started out and how he didn't have great success and how Kubes was going the similar route with building the team slowly and yada yada yada, all because he was the new Texans coach at the time. I just find it funny how so many people that have worshiped the guy and just knew he would have a winning season this year now want him axed over the first game of the season. So many guys that acted like he was this QB guru and this great coach in the making, and now after the first game, he's all of a sudden "a can" of a HC. :butterfly:

Had the Texans won this game, I promise you that this board would be so freaking different right now and Kubes would be getting cheers and hoorays and the pink soap threads would be a complete after thought.

Mr. White
09-14-2009, 12:24 AM
I wonder what the hell happened to that genius Offensive Coordinator that hung 49 points on a solid Eagles defense back in 2005 on the way to the playoffs in Denver.

I thought that he ended up over here in 2006.

Now it's starting to look like Denver just fired him this past offseason.

Double Barrel
09-14-2009, 12:25 AM

This reminds me of Dom Capers note pad and non of us could figure out what the heck he was always writing down.

Maybe Kubes is reading up on Yahoo's top 10 donts during a job interview.

I looked into Kubiak's eyes today (HD is cool that way), and I saw the ghost of Jack Pardee. His headset isn't crooked, yet, but just give it time. More games like this and it'll be sideways, his hair tussled, and he'll be ordering his custom Grand Slam breakfast from his Denny's menu.

Larry Dierker had the same look in his last season with the Astros, except it was a sunflower seed stuck to his lip instead of a headset. Rudy T. had the look in the end, as well, and Dom had it, too. These are leaders who no longer have the team.

Kubiak looked baffled today, and that is the troublesome part. Do I want him fired? I don't care to be honest. I'm comfortably numb and will remain in the deep freeze about giving a crap until they finally do something to be proud of.

GP
09-14-2009, 12:29 AM
And that is what I am trying to figure out. Does Kubiak not want his QBs to have more control because he thinks they are too stupid to handle the responsibility? Or is Kubiak so arrogant that he believes whatever he calls will work, and there is no need for the QB to change the play? Either way, I don't like it. Even if we make the playoffs, this is something that has to be addressed.

To me, this offense lives and dies by the involvement of AJ and OD.

In the games where we don't get the ball in their hands, we stink it up all day long. When those two guys are catching and running, defenses are trying to shut them down and it opens it up for Slaton, Walter, Anderson, A Davis. Which then opens it back up for AJ and OD.

Today, AJ and OD were non-factors from the beginning. So it completely stifles the playcalling, IMO.

We just become very predictable if those two guys get blanketed early on and Schaub fails to connect with them right away. Those times early last year when Schaub couldn't connect with AJ early on, AJ was visibly pissed and would just walk around in a zombie-like trance as if he could care what happened from there on out.

Sometimes I think AJ might be the most cerebral guy on our team. You can tell the state of this team by his on-field and sideline demeanor. IMO, he knows when things are getting goofy. And instead of throwing the team under the bus by using words in the media, he gives all of us some insight by his body language out there.

LonerATO
09-14-2009, 12:31 AM

Wait were we watching the same game? I could of sworn they only should Kubiak like 4-5 times the whole game and Brian Bchottenheimer/Rex Ryan the whole game.

GP
09-14-2009, 12:34 AM
The one time we tried to use that quick pass to AJ, he gets tripped up immediately. Of course, we should have ran the version of that pass to AJ where he's already running a little slant right at the snap...instead of him standing still out there like he was today.

And that's what I am most upset with: Even our standard playcalls just seemed like they were either called at the wrong time, or were not executed well, or were already sniffed out by the Jets before they happened.

It felt like the Jets knew everything ahead of time.

It felt like they actually did their homework. And us? Well, we grabbed a friend 10 minutes before class and peeked at some notes before the quiz.

Texecutioner
09-14-2009, 12:40 AM
I looked into Kubiak's eyes today (HD is cool that way), and I saw the ghost of Jack Pardee. His headset isn't crooked, yet, but just give it time. More games like this and it'll be sideways, his hair tussled, and he'll be ordering his custom Grand Slam breakfast from his Denny's menu.

Larry Dierker had the same look in his last season with the Astros, except it was a sunflower seed stuck to his lip instead of a headset. Rudy T. had the look in the end, as well, and Dom had it, too. These are leaders who no longer have the team.

Kubiak looked baffled today, and that is the troublesome part. Do I want him fired? I don't care to be honest. I'm comfortably numb and will remain in the deep freeze about giving a crap until they finally do something to be proud of.

Agreed, although I've thought this about Kubiak since year one. He's never struck me as a guy that would be a real good HC. He's always seemed conservative to me, and never seemed to have that fire that I see in other coaches. I hated it in his first year how he took that entire season to just "evaluate" instead of thinking he could go in there and try to have a winning season like Peyton and Mangini did in their first seasons when they took over awful teams. Kubes had the towel thrown in that year before the season ever began and I disliked him from that moment. Then it was far to many times in his first season where he would run the ball on 3rd and long without even trying to get first downs when we had absolutely no running game. It's been like this entire time he's known that he had a really long leash, so he planned on using every inch of it instead of demanding to win games from his players from the moment he got there by any means necessary.

This game was just no surprise to me. Not one bit. I've grown numb to it, and it's to the point that I just don't let it bother me anymore. What's bothered me is how so many fans bought into this guy the same way they did with Capers just because he was the HC of the Texans and wanted to praise every little baby step he took instead of demanding BIG STEPS after that debacle that Capers turned this team into. Once Kubes was hired the short leash should have been there from the beginning since he was unproven.

Lucky
09-14-2009, 12:41 AM
These are leaders who no longer have the team.
It looked like he didn't even want the team. If Kubiak called a press conference tomorrow and resigned, I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't.

There is no leadership on this team. In this organization. Bob McNair should hire a real NFL man to run this ship from stem to stern. And that guy should fire everyone, from the 50 VPs to the ticket takers. Bring in an entirely new organization that builds a real tradition. Not one that celebrates 1st downs when you're down 17 in the 4th quarter of your season opener.

Lucky
09-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Wait were we watching the same game? I could of sworn they only should Kubiak like 4-5 times the whole game and Brian Bchottenheimer/Rex Ryan the whole game.
I didn't have the opportunity to watch the game on TV. I paid $$$ to watch this debacle from Gridiron, TX (Population: Angry).

Norg
09-14-2009, 12:48 AM
They said it on Tv the Best Rex Ryan OWNZ Gary

GP
09-14-2009, 12:49 AM
It looked like he didn't even want the team. If Kubiak called a press conference tomorrow and resigned, I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't.

There is no leadership on this team. In this organization. Bob McNair should hire a real NFL man to run this ship from stem to stern. And that guy should fire everyone, from the 50 VPs to the ticket takers. Bring in an entirely new organization that builds a real tradition. Not one that celebrates 1st downs when you're down 17 in the 4th quarter of your season opener.

I watched the Jets players giggling and giving Rex Ryan a Gatorade bath. Rex was laughing about it, and seemed to genuinely enjoy it.

You don't see any of that sort of basic fellowship rituals between Kubiak and his team.

Of course, it's all "good" when you're winning. If the Jets get their rears kicked the next four weeks...there will be less celebrating I would suppose.

But still, there seems to be be a bit of a contrast between these two teams.

One cares, and the other doesn't.

Goldensilence
09-14-2009, 12:52 AM
I hear a lot of calls for Cowher, just not sure this would be his ideal destination. With his family in N.C. he really might just want to wait it out until John Fox's tenure is gone. Still a remote possibility I guess.

No way JJ comes out of retirement.

I name I haven't heard but I think should be on any possible list of replacements: Marty Schottenheimer.

Marty Ball isn't exciting but he wins and he knows how to build a team. Just putting it out there.

Napa Auto Parts
09-14-2009, 12:54 AM
That Don Capers 3-4 looked pretty stout thats what we need.

Hervoyel
09-14-2009, 01:01 AM
I hear a lot of calls for Cowher, just not sure this would be his ideal destination. With his family in N.C. he really might just want to wait it out until John Fox's tenure is gone. Still a remote possibility I guess.

I name I haven't heard but I think should be on any possible list of replacements: Marty Schottenheimer.

Marty Ball isn't exciting but he wins and he knows how to build a team. Just putting it out there.

I'd take up a collection to get Marty here. I'd throw the first thousand dollars in myself. We've had two coaches and neither one of them had any history building a successful NFL franchise. Dom had a brief run with the Panthers that ended in his team falling apart (go figure) and Gary has proven that he can build an offense that looks kind of like the one he worked with in Denver when Mike Shanahan was picking the players and likely doing most of Gary's job for him or "with him" if that makes things run smoother.

Why won't McNair hire somebody whose actually done it? Why won't he spend the money to bring in a coach and a GM who know exactly how to win? It's not like they don't exist and when you're winning that's like a license to print money. Sure they might be expensive but what's more expensive? Paying up front to get what you want one time or going through regime after regime trying to find that one diamond in a goats ass? Rebuilding is going to get old when the seats are empty.

Texecutioner
09-14-2009, 01:02 AM

Every fan base in the NFL that doesn't already have a great coach is calling for Cowher. Cowher isn't going to come to Houston. He'll go where is closest to his family most likely.

The guy I would like to make a strong run at is MIKE HOLMGREN. He went to two SB's with GB and then went to another in Seattle and has put out a lot of competitive teams. Holmgren is the guy I would like the Texans to make a strong push for.

Lucky
09-14-2009, 01:02 AM
I hear a lot of calls for Cowher, just not sure this would be his ideal destination.
When fans ask for Cowher, they're asking for intensity. For presence. For toughness. For leadership. It doesn't matter if it's Cowher, or someone who has never been an NFL head coach. What they want is a change in attitude.

Well, that and some wins.

GP
09-14-2009, 01:03 AM
Even if Cowher could come here, who does he get for coordinators?

They're all with the Steelers. They're one big family there, enjoying the fruits of their labor.

I am afraid that grabbing Cowher/JJ/Marty would be a bad idea. They'd have to assemble a coaching staff around them. And how compatible would our current roster be with what the new coach desires to put on the field?

It would be exciting at first. Then it would wear off, and the "Fire" threads would pop up more quickly than ever.

When was the last time a Super Bowl team had a head coach who specializes in offense? It seems they all came from a background in defense.

GP
09-14-2009, 01:04 AM
When fans ask for Cowher, they're asking for intensity. For presence. For toughness. For leadership. It doesn't matter if it's Cowher, or someone who has never been an NFL head coach. What they want is a change in attitude.

Defensive coordinators are typically very vocal, and very aggressive by the nature of their job: Teach their guys to practically KILL the QB or RB or WR.

I think there is something to the idea that a good HC is someone who knows how to inspire the WHOLE team to have that killer instinct.

I know I have joked about getting Mike Leach. But he's an offensive-minded head coach who has that killer instinct: Always going for the opponent's jugular. Going for it all. Never letting up. Never.

Kubiak acts like his scripted plays should work. We should score 3 TDs, and that's the end of the game. Somehow, it's enough. It should be enough. 3 TDs is a good day's work, and by golly we're going to win because we are efficient and persistent and cute.

Texecutioner
09-14-2009, 01:11 AM

They're all with the Steelers. They're one big family there, enjoying the fruits of their labor.

I am afraid that grabbing Cowher/JJ/Marty would be a bad idea. They'd have to assemble a coaching staff around them. And how compatible would our current roster be with what the new coach desires to put on the field?

It would be exciting at first. Then it would wear off, and the "Fire" threads would pop up more quickly than ever.

When was the last time a Super Bowl team had a head coach who specializes in offense? It seems they all came from a background in defense.

Well Wisenhunt was the Steelers OC and he just went to the SB and was a hair away form winning it. That's close enough for me, but you're right it hasn't been many in recent memory.

Holmgren was also an offensive coach that went to the SB and again lost to the Steelers though, but Holmgren's been a fantastic coach.

GNTLEWOLF
09-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Well Wisenhunt was the Steelers OC and he just went to the SB and was a hair away form winning it. That's close enough for me, but you're right it hasn't been many in recent memory.

Holmgren was also an offensive coach that went to the SB and again lost to the Steelers though, but Holmgren's been a fantastic coach.

Don't forget, he went one time and won with the packers

Goldensilence
09-14-2009, 01:15 AM

Maybe I just have it in my head that either of those three would look around the league and see who is up and coming from winning teams or has some sort of background with. Hell even get the strange idea of putting coordinators on their team that have a track record of success.

I guess what I am dancing around to say is I don't think any of those listed would have a problem hiring someone out of their comfort zone, which is something Gary is (IMO) unable to do.

Last guy that has a offensive background to take a team to the SB are Ken Wisenhunt, Mike Holmgreen, Andy Reid, and in 2003 Bill Callahan and Jon Gruden.

Texecutioner
09-14-2009, 01:16 AM
[/B]

Don't forget, he went one time and won with the packers

Yeah, he went to 3 SB's all together. Going with two teams though is what impresses me with any coach. Plus, both of those teams he went with (The Packers and the Hawks) were built by Holmgren. He's the #1 guy that I would want to be the Texans next HC. Other than Cowher he's the most proven winner out there and that could also be argued that he's been even better than Cowher actually.

Double Barrel
09-14-2009, 01:17 AM

I'm not inclined to disagree with you. Either the stadium and Astrodome is built on ancient Indian burial grounds (explaining decades of futility by 3 teams, 2 of which found some success after leaving the area), or, this is the growing pains of a newbie head owner and it could take awhile for him to be NFL savvy.

And that first down chant can get downright embarrassing at times. I remember them doing it during 2-14, and it was like the place was on autopilot with the ReliantWorld presentation of the gameday experience. The celebration creation and good time machine continues no matter what is going on with the game. Like Vinny has said: a marketing company with a football division.

It's depressing to see them start off a season with a game like this.

Maddict5
09-14-2009, 07:50 AM
I watched the Jets players giggling and giving Rex Ryan a Gatorade bath. Rex was laughing about it, and seemed to genuinely enjoy it.

You don't see any of that sort of basic fellowship rituals between Kubiak and his team.

Of course, it's all "good" when you're winning. If the Jets get their rears kicked the next four weeks...there will be less celebrating I would suppose.

But still, there seems to be be a bit of a contrast between these two teams.

One cares, and the other doesn't.

we were doing the same thing against the jags, GB, titans, bears etc last yr but its ok- selective memory isnt half as bad as alot of the stuff spewing around here at the moment. re-starting the franchise, firing kubiak, schaub, mcnair, everybody & other kinds of ridiculous stuff. do people realise how stupid it sounds to suggest preposterous moves like this?

im also pissed that we took a beatdown at home yesterday. however the fact remains that we caught a team thats going to be very good on a day when they were in top form. not to mention they had a nice amount of luck with the near int's & recovering their own fumbles (aswell as brice nodding off for a play). it happens every week all over the nfl.

i also know we're going to react & come back from this like we always have done since kubiak arrived. i urge some of the other fans who want to blow the whole thing up to calm down. there were positives in that shitstorm yesterday, namely the defensive performance on 1st & 2nd down- i cant remember having so many TFL's or no/short gains & pretty consistent pressure. once the offence gets itself together (which it will) & the defence continues like that & improves on 3rd down, we're going to be there or thereabouts in the playoff race come the end of the season. color me the koolaid/sunshine fan if you want but i know im right. i understand the frustration though but come on its 1 game out of 16 & we have a good team. it was a bad day thats all. we'll have a couple more before the end of the season too. nobody goes 16-0

TEXANRED
09-14-2009, 08:46 AM

One would say Dennis Green is an intense guy.....just sayin.

GP
09-14-2009, 08:50 AM
we were doing the same thing against the jags, GB, titans, bears etc last yr but its ok- selective memory isnt half as bad as alot of the stuff spewing around here at the moment. re-starting the franchise, firing kubiak, schaub, mcnair, everybody & other kinds of ridiculous stuff. do people realise how stupid it sounds to suggest preposterous moves like this?

im also pissed that we took a beatdown at home yesterday. however the fact remains that we caught a team thats going to be very good on a day when they were in top form. not to mention they had a nice amount of luck with the near int's & recovering their own fumbles (aswell as brice nodding off for a play). it happens every week all over the nfl.

i also know we're going to react & come back from this like we always have done since kubiak arrived. i urge some of the other fans who want to blow the whole thing up to calm down. there were positives in that shitstorm yesterday, namely the defensive performance on 1st & 2nd down- i cant remember having so many TFL's or no/short gains & pretty consistent pressure. once the offence gets itself together (which it will) & the defence continues like that & improves on 3rd down, we're going to be there or thereabouts in the playoff race come the end of the season. color me the koolaid/sunshine fan if you want but i know im right. i understand the frustration though but come on its 1 game out of 16 & we have a good team. it was a bad day thats all. we'll have a couple more before the end of the season too. nobody goes 16-0

I normally would say that you're right: No need to knee-jerk.

And I have been verrry reserved in my posts on here today and yesterday.

Having said that, I will still say that you don't come out like this in year 4 of your coaching regime. You just don't. That was Pee Wee League out there yesterday, no matter who the opponent would have been. Had we played like that against a weak team, I think we still lose the game.

The hot seat, for Kubiak, just got plugged into the wall outlet as far as I am concerned. You don't start year 4 like that. A loss, when having played a competitive game, is understandable. What I saw, is not excusable.

I'm not in the "Fire him now" gang, but I am definitely not going to spin this like it's no big deal. Year 4. Big deal.

Maddict5
09-14-2009, 09:27 AM
I normally would say that you're right: No need to knee-jerk.

And I have been verrry reserved in my posts on here today and yesterday.

Having said that, I will still say that you don't come out like this in year 4 of your coaching regime. You just don't. That was Pee Wee League out there yesterday, no matter who the opponent would have been. Had we played like that against a weak team, I think we still lose the game.

The hot seat, for Kubiak, just got plugged into the wall outlet as far as I am concerned. You don't start year 4 like that. A loss, when having played a competitive game, is understandable. What I saw, is not excusable.

I'm not in the "Fire him now" gang, but I am definitely not going to spin this like it's no big deal. Year 4. Big deal.

but it does happen... all the time. today its gary kubiak & john fox. just to illustrate my point- last year, the steelers got crushed in a couple games (the titans & eagles games come to mind), same goes for the cards. the titans got absolutely blown out by the jets at home last year. its happened the SB champs, SB runners up & the team with the #1 seed and best record. it happens EVERYBODY.

wait for the reaction- if that doesnt come & the losses pile up, THEN you start calling for heads but i think the reaction so far by Texans fans has been completely OTT. if yesterdays result occurs regularly over the next few weeks, il be in line for kubiak getting the chop, despite me being a big fan of his. have a litlle faith & support the team. i dont think its as impossible as everybody is making out for us to beat the titans next week given how we stopped the run yesterday for most of the game & the fact that collins is a statue compared to sanchez so hopefully he shouldnt be able to make as many 3rd down plays by escaping the rush. and if that happens, everything will be great again. just shows the fickleness that exists among fanbases

GP
09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
but it does happen... all the time. today its gary kubiak & john fox. just to illustrate my point- last year, the steelers got crushed in a couple games (the titans & eagles games come to mind), same goes for the cards. the titans got absolutely blown out by the jets at home last year. its happened the SB champs, SB runners up & the team with the #1 seed and best record. it happens EVERYBODY.

wait for the reaction- if that doesnt come & the losses pile up, THEN you start calling for heads but i think the reaction so far by Texans fans has been completely OTT. if yesterdays result occurs regularly over the next few weeks, il be in line for kubiak getting the chop, despite me being a big fan of his. have a litlle faith & support the team. i dont think its as impossible as everybody is making out for us to beat the titans next week given how we stopped the run yesterday for most of the game & the fact that collins is a statue compared to sanchez so hopefully he shouldnt be able to make as many 3rd down plays by escaping the rush. and if that happens, everything will be great again. just shows the fickleness that exists among fanbases

It doesn't happen year after year, though.

What's our record over the past four years (the first four games of each year)? That's not a good pattern.

Patterns are important. They reveal persistent successes or weaknesses.

If we're going to challenge Indy and Tenn for the AFC South, or even a wild card spot, we can't open up the season in a 1-3 or 0-4 hole. Even going 2-2 is questionable with how the remaining 12 games will go this year.

I'm not throwing the guy out right now. But I am saying that the rain cloud club has been largely validated as of today. Kubiak could win the next 4-in-a-row and wow all of us. It could happen. But the pattern suggests it won't.

The pattern says we start playing football right around week 5, which is way too late in our division and in the AFC in general.

Maddict5
09-14-2009, 09:35 AM
One would say Dennis Green is an intense guy.....just sayin.

ps tom landry wasnt very intense was he?

Kaiser Toro
09-14-2009, 09:38 AM
ps tom landry wasnt very intense was he?

No, he was calm. His team matched his persona. Our team looks like Kubiak on the sideline - dazed and confused. It would be a lot cooler if he was like Landry. :pirate:

TheRealJoker
09-14-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm tired of seeing our Denver prodigy get out coached by any solid defensive guru and watch him not be able to get his team ready to play consistently.

Runner
09-14-2009, 09:59 AM

i also know we're going to react & come back from this like we always have done since kubiak arrived.

As far as the first point, yes we played a tough team, regardless of the posts last week stating the Jets would be easy. However, the Texans need to start regularly bearing good teams if they want to be playoff contenders. I don't like the "it was too hard" reasoning.

The second point is that the Texans will show up next week and show who they really are. If they beat the Titans they will be "great" again. The Texans have 3-4 of these games every year. The problem is, the Texans aren't just who they are in the second win. They are also the team that blew chunks the first game. That equates to "Texans Great" i.e. .500. In this case, the theoretical .500 record is making the huge, and rather unfounded, assumption the Texans beat the Titans next week.

JDizzle
09-14-2009, 10:11 AM
It's depressing to see them start off a season with a game like this.

For me it's just inexcusable. We may end up going 9-7 and miss the playoffs by a hair but we'll have a couple of losses like this to look back on and think, man if we would have showed up for that game we may have had a shot.

I wouldn't even be surprised if we take one in Tennessee next week. I'm not expecting it but it wouldn't surprise me. I know the team can play good enough to do it and that's what is so frustrating about losing like this. You've got the talent so what gives? Yup, you guessed it.

michaelm
09-14-2009, 11:21 AM

You beat me to this.
Marty Schottenheimer SHOULD be the next coach of this team. True, he can't seem to find a way to get a team over the hump to win a championship, but he knows the NFL. He knows how to build a team, perhaps as good as anyone in the league.
Marty would, at the very least, put a respectable team on the field within a short period of time.
His style might be boring, but there's no doubt that he could build a very good team in this town.

IMO, don't even think about Cower. He'll want to install a 3-4 defense, which would take a long time, and doesn't suit the skillset of Mario at all.
I just don't think you can bring in a coach that would basically scrap everything you have on D, including the best player. It would take several seasons to transition this team to a decent 3-4.

Second Honeymoon
09-14-2009, 11:30 AM
You beat me to this.
Marty Schottenheimer SHOULD be the next coach of this team. True, he can't seem to find a way to get a team over the hump to win a championship, but he knows the NFL. He knows how to build a team, perhaps as good as anyone in the league.
Marty would, at the very least, put a respectable team on the field within a short period of time.
His style might be boring, but there's no doubt that he could build a very good team in this town.

IMO, don't even think about Cower. He'll want to install a 3-4 defense, which would take a long time, and doesn't suit the skillset of Mario at all.
I just don't think you can bring in a coach that would basically scrap everything you have on D, including the best player. It would take several seasons to transition this team to a decent 3-4.

I like Marty but he may be a little long in the tooth. He would be an improvement and he almost assuredly has a better network of coaches to pull from than Kubiak has proven to have. Marty would be fine with me in the end though.

Why not think about Cowher? is it because of his Carolina connection? i understand that and I would have Carolina as a favorite over Houston to secure his services, but the whole 4-3 v 3-4 question, just doesn't hold water.

Other teams have changed schemes and its not some huge evolution. Look at Green Bay last night. They ran a 4-3 last year and they brought in a proven commodity with proven track record of DC success (Capers) and they switched to 3-4. They didn't look too bad last night. Multiple sacks, big interception returns, and put pressure on Capers all last night. If a team like the Packers can do it, why not the Texans? It isn't that big of a change.

Lord knows our current scheme and talent aren't getting the job done.

I am not saying Cowher is coming to Houston, but to exclude ourselves from consideration because of a bunch of assumptions is a disservice to our team imho.

BattleRedRaider
09-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Maybe we can hire Jeff Fisher since the Titans messageboard has a thread about firing him.

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=51405

BigBull17
09-14-2009, 11:59 AM

I'm normally very optimistic, but it's the same thing every year. Feels great tosee Chris Brown have 3 carries for 15 yards, but never touch the field again. Slatton needed a road map to to the hole, but don't try anything else. WR not making plays, don't try another guy. Instead of interviewing serious canidates for DC, you hire your buddy and he gives up 500 yards in his 1st game. Same shit, different year. Doing one thing over and over and expecting different results is called insanity.

Fox
09-14-2009, 12:26 PM
The most damning snippet about the whole game was this line from Solomon's blog, if true...

"I asked Andre Johnson if he could see it coming, and he said he didn't want to answer that question."

If our best, franchise player thinks this staff is doing a poor job of preparing us to win then Kubiak is losing this team. Reminiscent of Capers' last year. :sigh:

GP
09-14-2009, 12:34 PM
The most damning snippet about the whole game was this line from Solomon's blog, if true...

"I asked Andre Johnson if he could see it coming, and he said he didn't want to answer that question."

If our best, franchise player thinks this staff is doing a poor job of preparing us to win then Kubiak is losing this team. Reminiscent of Capers' last year. :sigh:

AJ is probably the most cerebral guy on the whole team.

He does a good job of staying off the radar in terms of badmouthing the team to the media.

His on-field body language tells the whole story. And he speaks with subtle actions that are there if a person looks closely enough.

At this point, I really am sincere when I say that the guy's career is wasted here. A guy like THAT deserves better. And I will probably have to say the same thing about Mario in about 3 more years from now.

TexansSeminole
09-14-2009, 12:34 PM
we were doing the same thing against the jags, GB, titans, bears etc last yr but its ok- selective memory isnt half as
bad as alot of the stuff spewing around here at the moment. re-starting the franchise, firing kubiak, schaub, mcnair, everybody & other kinds of ridiculous stuff. do people realise how stupid it sounds to suggest preposterous moves like this?

At what point do we start to compete agianst good team consistently. I don't care if we were scheduled a good team in week 1 at hone, I expect us to compete.

I can't continue to hear the same excuse and buy it. "They are a good team" isn't going to cut it anymore. We've had plenty of time to become a good team.

TexansSeminole
09-14-2009, 12:44 PM
but it does happen... all the time. today its gary kubiak & john fox.

Did you see the Panthers/Eagles game? It wasn't John Fox, it was Jake Delhomme. Delhomme threw 4 or 5 picks. You can't win games if you have 5 turnovers.

Jackie Chiles
09-14-2009, 01:37 PM
I slept on it and I still can't believe that game yesterday. I reflected a bit on our past and I think the nail in the coffin was Bart Scott telling it like it is and saying we are a finesse team. If I'm Bob McNair the only way Kubiak keeps his job is if he pulls 10-6 out of his hat. Nothing less. He gets to finish out the season regardless but if he doesn't find 10 wins I am going straight to Pete Carrol's door once the season is over and giving him whatever he wants. Money, complete control, you name it.

He had a rough start in the NFL (although 33-31 isn't terrible) but so did Belicheck. Anything Carrol touches turns to gold. Yes he can recruit the top guys but his top guys pan out and reach their potential at a comically high percentage. Hey, maybe after an offseason or two our teams could even be as tough as his recent teams.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jan/10/sports/sp-carroll10

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/02/sports/sp-farmer2

Goldensilence
09-14-2009, 01:41 PM
I slept on it and I still can't believe that game yesterday. I reflected a bit on our past and I think the nail in the coffin was Bart Scott telling it like it is and saying we are a finesse team. If I'm Bob McNair the only way Kubiak keeps his job is if he pulls 10-6 out of his hat. Nothing less. He gets to finish out the season regardless but if he doesn't find 10 wins I am going straight to Pete Carrol's door once the season is over and giving him whatever he wants. Money, complete control, you name it.

He had a rough start in the NFL (although 33-31 isn't terrible) but so did Belicheck. Anything Carrol touches turns to gold. Yes he can recruit the top guys but his top guys pan out and reach their potential at a comically high percentage. Hey, maybe after an offseason or two our teams could even be as tough as his recent teams.

No thanks to Pete, I think he'd instill the same soft attitude. Of course he looks great at USC because he gets the best talent in the PAC 10. He'd be stupid to leave such a great gig.

Time for some Marty ball.

Mr. White
09-14-2009, 01:43 PM

Carroll's too much of a "rah rah" guy for the NFL. His players never bought in to his coaching style when he was at the Patriots and Jets.

That style of coaching works great in college and that's why I'd expect him to stay there.

I think all that we can do at this point is to see who the candidates are at the end of the season. Maybe promote an intense guy like Kollar or Marciano as Interim HC.

Spike
09-14-2009, 02:07 PM
If we make a move, you have to try to bring in more proven commodity. I don't really know, but I am not sure Capers had an overall winning record when he came to the Texans. Sure, he had experience with an expansion team, but I don't know that he had a proven track record.

I loved the Kubiak selection. This is a guy that had a long track record as an assistant and was a local guy. I think what we have seen from Kubes is that there is a big difference to being an offensive/ defensive coordinator and running the whole show. I wouldn't argue that he doesn't have a good football mind - but that doesn't make him a good head coach - game preparation (whether x's, o's or motivating players), clock management, adjustments have all been weaknesses that we have seen year in and year out. After last year's start, how does he not have the team ready for yesterday's game? If he can't do it this year, why do we expect him to be ready next year?

I think Kubes should be given credit for getting this thing turned around and making things respectable. However, there have been a lot of coaches who just didn't have what it took to get their teams that one additional step. It doesn't make him a bad guy, but some guys have it and some guys don't.

I don't think McNair can afford to wait any longer. He needs to go pay big money to someone who has a proven, winning record. We need a guy who will step up and get the respect of the players on the team, as well as a guy who free agents will want to play for.

mussop
09-14-2009, 02:49 PM
I posted this in another thread, meant to post it here.

I blame
#1 Kubiack Because he is the head coach and ultimatly responsible. It all starts at the top.
#2 Shananhan because he didnt make any kind of adjustments throughout the game and it didnt appear Schaub was ready for all the blitzes which is the OC responsibility.
#3 Schaub for not recognizing what the defense was doing and making presnap adjustments. Change up the snap count, move the offense around in different formations, anything to make the defense think a little more and slow them down a little.

For all those who say it was just one week, I say SO WHAT! It was an unneceptible performance by a team that has supposed to be past that stage in their development. Yeh every team has a bad week here and there but cmon. That wasnt just a bad perfomance, it was an HORRIBLE, David Carr, Dom Capers, expansion team like performance.

I have seen many teams get shut out and beat by more than 20 points but not many were dominated like we were. The teams that do get dominated like that are the predominatly bad teams that we are supposed to be better than. I am no longer going to except being the Detroit Lions or the Cincinati Bengals. The time is now! We might not have the most talent in the leauge but we have enough talent to play better than what we seen Sunday.

If I were the owner I wouldnt fire Kubiack right now but I definatly let it be known that I will not allow this season to be wasted before I make such a decision. As a coach if youre team isnt playing up to the talent level or above you are not doing youre job and its not fair to the players or the fans to keep you around. Lets get this thing turned around right now or lets start over and give someone a headstart on next year so we dont waste 2 seasons.

Its just that simple!!!!!!!

Go Texans beat the Titans! Love Ya (steal) Blue!

eriadoc
09-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Perhaps Kubiak can replace Sherman.

Kaiser Toro
09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Perhaps Kubiak can replace Sherman.

Kubiak just ran out of time. I've got a feeling that Sherman will hold on to the HC position.

Silver Oak
09-14-2009, 03:09 PM
bring in Mack Brown, and trade for VY.

that would quiet a few of the posters here anyways.

:bag:

Ckw
09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Man, I am depressed..... This might be the most depressed I have ever been as a Texans fan. I am really getting the feeling that Kubiak has got to go. Now before you jump on me and say I have been a Kubiak supporter, I will say you are correct. I am not saying we should fire Kubiak today. But if something doesn't change, I wouldn't be opposed to a mid-season change.

4 things stand out to me about Kubiak

1. He is arrogant enough to think that his offensive play calling is so stellar that the QB doesn't need to call audibles. I have asked this before, and I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will answer this, but are there any other coaches that do this? What good QB in this league is not allowed to audible out of the play that is called?? Isn't Schaub supposed to be one of those good, intelligent QBs??
2. He is arrogant enough to think that we can run first pass second against a Rex Ryan defense.
3. He is arrogant/ignorant enough to believe that no adjustments need to be made because his offensive genius is superior to the defensive genius of a Rex Ryan. The game plan obviously wasn't working, so why did we come out in the 3rd and run the exact same game plan?!?!?
4. He is arrogant/ignorant enough to not utilize all of his weapons. Where the flying **** was James Casey?!? The guy looked incredible in the preseason and made some crazy catches so why were we not running more two TE sets with Casey and Daniels?!? Can you imagine having Casey, Daniels, AJ, Slaton, and Andre Davis on the field at the same time?!?!

I am sure there are more things that could be added to this list, but this is what is really depressing me. This sucks!!

Kaiser Toro
09-14-2009, 03:28 PM
bring in Mack Brown, and trade for VY.

That would be awful

Spled
09-14-2009, 03:47 PM
I say we hire Buddy Ryan.

Goldensilence
09-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Man, I am depressed..... This might be the most depressed I have ever been as a Texans fan. I am really getting the feeling that Kubiak has got to go. Now before you jump on me and say I have been a Kubiak supporter, I will say you are correct. I am not saying we should fire Kubiak today. But if something doesn't change, I wouldn't be opposed to a mid-season change.

1. He is arrogant enough to think that his offensive play calling is so stellar that the QB doesn't need to call audibles. I have asked this before, and I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will answer this, but are there any other coaches that do this? What good QB in this league is not allowed to audible out of the play that is called?? Isn't Schaub supposed to be one of those good, intelligent QBs??
2. He is arrogant enough to think that we can run first pass second against a Rex Ryan defense.
3. He is arrogant/ignorant enough to believe that no adjustments need to be made because his offensive genius is superior to the defensive genius of a Rex Ryan. The game plan obviously wasn't working, so why did we come out in the 3rd and run the exact same game plan?!?!?
4. He is arrogant/ignorant enough to not utilize all of his weapons. Where the flying **** was James Casey?!? The guy looked incredible in the preseason and made some crazy catches so why were we not running more two TE sets with Casey and Daniels?!? Can you imagine having Casey, Daniels, AJ, Slaton, and Andre Davis on the field at the same time?!?!

I am sure there are more things that could be added to this list, but this is what is really depressing me. This sucks!!

I'm a little puzzled by the calls to get James Casey on the field as a spark for the offense. Hell guys keep it simple how about getting it to all pro WR Andre Johnson?! How about trying to get the ball to pro bowl TE OD?!

Other then that comment you're spot on.

Vinny
09-14-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm a little puzzled by the calls to get James Casey on the field as a spark for the offense. Hell guys keep it simple how about getting it to all pro WR Andre Johnson?! How about trying to get the ball to pro bowl TE OD?!

Other then that comment you're spot on.Why keep 4 TE's if you are going to deactivate half of them? What's up with that?

Goldensilence
09-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Why keep 4 TE's if you are going to deactivate half of them? What's up with that?

At this point I'm not even going to venture into the mind of Gary Kubiak regarding roster management.

BigBull17
09-14-2009, 04:03 PM

Always the same thing. At the end of a year, he ALWAYS says " I should have used the kid more". When somethingisn't working, you have to try and shake it up a bit. Try a different match up. Just so annoying to say this in the 4th year.

Porky
09-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Why keep 4 TE's if you are going to deactivate half of them? What's up with that?

Exactly. They ran an offense that resembled something you would throw out in pre-season. No imaganation, no originality, no adjustments as the game progressed, nothing to spread out their D or really blunt what the Jets were doing. No misdirection, no hot routes, hardly any motion, no nothing it seemed. Just the same old vanilla bland stale crap that looked like something straight out of week one of the preseason. Notice the Jets threw out the wildcat. Hello? Casey could do that. He could have helped in other ways as well. Their coordinators totally outclassed and outcoached ours.

What we saw yesterday was total and complete garbage. Of course, what do you expect when your OC and DC are barely out of diapers. Just like Capers, Kubes is going to end up going down with the ship because instead of getting the best and brightest he got the ones he knows the best.

Ckw
09-14-2009, 04:08 PM

Other then that comment you're spot on.

With Kevin Walter out, we needed as many weapons on the field as possible to keep the pressure off of Andre. AD is not a #2 WR; he never has been and never will be. He is a good situational deep threat. So with that being the case, we needed to alter our game plan a bit and get some good possession guys on the field to open the field up for Andre. Kubiak was an ***** for thinking he could run up the middle with Slaton, so that took Slaton out of the game. Then all the Jets had to do was key in on Andre and OD. Guess what: it worked.

Exactly.

Always the same thing. At the end of a year, he ALWAYS says " I should have used the kid more". When somethingisn't working, you have to try and shake it up a bit. Try a different match up. Just so annoying to say this in the 4th year.

Yep. Kubiak: "Well this one's on me. I should have gotten the kid out on the field and given him a chance. blah blah blah."

76Texan
09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Where can I find the FIRE RICK SMITH thread ?

Porky
09-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Where can I find the FIRE RICK SMITH thread ?

Three doors down. Go to Helen Wait.

gary
09-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Sooner or later Gary is going to be given his Pink sllip and maybe Smith as well. I hope Mr. Mcnair hires a GM with a proven track record and a all O minded HC or a all D minded HC just choose one or the other let the other fall into place but just as in a GM a HC with a proven track record would be nice. A coach that is willing to get in faces and scream his guts out at his team. Gary is afraid to do just that and dreams that one day all of a sudden everything is just going to click and the light will come on. News flash that's not how things in the NFL wake up Gary your days are numbered buddy. Everyone knows it.

Porky
09-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Sooner or later Gary is going to be given his Pink sllip and maybe Smith as well. I hope Mr. Mcnair hires a GM with a proven track record and a all O minded HC or a all D minded HC just choose one or the other let the other fall into place but just as in a GM a HC with a proven track record would be nice. A coach that is willing to get in faces and scream his guts out at his team. Gary is afraid to do just that and dreams that one day all of a sudden everything is just going to click and the light will come on. News flash that's not how things in the NFL wake up Gary your days are numbered buddy. Everyone knows it.

I don't think it's just a matter of screaming Gary. It's a mixture of getting players motivated, talent evualation, finding the right coordinators, experience, schemes, etc. It's all of these and more. If it was just a matter of screaming, Tony Dungy would have been fired long ago. There has been plenty of non-screaming successes.

Wolf
09-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Maybe we can hire Jeff Fisher since the Titans messageboard has a thread about firing him.

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=51405

Holy smokes.. Seriously .. I wish Bud would do it and we snatch him up

gary
09-14-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't think it's just a matter of screaming Gary. It's a mixture of getting players motivated, talent evualation, finding the right coordinators, experience, schemes, etc. It's all of these and more. If it was just a matter of screaming, Tony Dungy would have been fired long ago. There has been plenty of non-screaming successes.A passive HC isn't good either. It's on both Gary and players. The players are old enough to play motivated and Gary for not preparing his team. A coach that lets his team just get by. I just feel Gary does this way too often. It does not have to be screaming maybe a pizza party what he's doing now is not working. The players must have attitude and get hungry. Play like someone stole their chesseburgers Mario. I'm not calling him out I'm talking to everyone. They play without any spunk at all just like the Rockets, and Astros. Most of this is on the players but some of it is on Gary.

Porky
09-14-2009, 10:47 PM
A passive HC isn't good either. It's on both Gary and players. The players are old enough to play motivated and Gary for not preparing his team. A coach that lets his team just get by. I just feel Gary does this way too often. It does not have to be screaming maybe a pizza party what he's doing now is not working. The players must have attitude and get hungry. Play like someone stole their chesseburgers Mario. I'm not calling him out I'm talking to everyone. They play without any spunk at all just like the Rockets, and Astros. Most of this is on the players but some of it is on Gary.

Good post Gary. Couldn't rep ya but that's the way to bring your POV to the board.

El Tejano
09-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I think if we asked him, Tony Dungy would heavily consider it.

Marcus
09-14-2009, 11:15 PM
After listening to Kubiak's interview by Bob Allen tonight, I'm convinced that he knows he'll be fired after the season if the team doesn't play well, but he's not fretting over it. Not in the very least. There is not a sense if urgency in him at all. If there is, he's hiding it very well.

He knows he'll have a job next season, whether it be with this team or someone else.

SteveSlaton20
09-15-2009, 12:33 AM
How did I end up at Texags.com???????

Wolf
09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Damn (http://thefastertimes.com/football/2009/09/14/houston-texans-fans-its-not-just-one-game-texans-one-more-bad-coach-from-being-bengalslions/)

SheTexan
09-15-2009, 06:26 PM
I think if we asked him, Tony Dungy would heavily consider it.

And I would be tempted to sell my PSLs if that happens!! NO, NO, NO!!!!!!

Thorn
09-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Damn (http://thefastertimes.com/football/2009/09/14/houston-texans-fans-its-not-just-one-game-texans-one-more-bad-coach-from-being-bengalslions/)

Wow. That was harsh. But unless Kubiac turns this team around, like the articles says, we are looking at between 6 and 8 wins this year.

gary
09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
How about the cheerleaders offering up dates to the players a night of fun if they play with pride and inspired? Just a thought. LOL

PHAROAH
09-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Fire him now and bring in Mike Shanahan or Chucky!!!!!

Marcus
09-15-2009, 07:44 PM

These Texans are a key injury away from having an awful season this year. That said, they are perfectly capable of playing awful football if they stay perfectly healthy. They are not a particularly talented NFL team. What’s worse is, if they don’t find the right guys to lead the team after Kubiak and his cronies are inevitably asked to clean out their desks, the Texans will officially be considered a permanent joke with a recurring punchline. One morning the hardest of the hard core will wake up and realize, “Oh my lord, we’re the Bengals.”

Yup. I'm just about there.

So there is no need to brown bag it to the games. Just throw on a Lions or Bengals jersey. That should get the point across.

Oh, I'd love to see that. Maybe we could start a drive. :)

awtysst
09-15-2009, 07:48 PM
How about the cheerleaders offering up dates to the players a night of fun if they play with pride and inspired? Just a thought. LOL

How about if they offer it to certain fans like awtysst!

Second Honeymoon
09-15-2009, 08:03 PM

great article

rmartin65
09-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Oh wow, we are the Bengals... Except they have made it to the playoffs recently... Damnit, why?

Double Barrel
09-15-2009, 08:07 PM
One morning the hardest of the hard core will wake up and realize, “Oh my lord, we’re the Bengals.”

Some of us have already arrived at that destination. *sigh*

I'll always be a Texans fan, but it's starting to become more of a curse than a blessing.

eriadoc
09-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Oh my Lord, we're the Bangles! (Bengals aren't as soft)

Runner
09-16-2009, 12:03 AM

Dude read the Kubiak Hot Seat thread.

nero THE zero
09-18-2009, 10:02 AM
To add fuel to the fire; a snippet from AJ's latest circulation:

Link (http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner%7Ey2009m9d17-Texans-limping-into-Tennessee-literally-and-figuratively)
The Texans are 1-6 all time at Nashville and Gary Kubiak has never won there.

Which reminds me, before I get to the reason I'm writing this - injuries - let me ask you all a question.

What is Gary Kubiak's signature win on the road as a head coach?

Most of you will answer Green Bay last season. I'd probably agree, it was a good win in very cold weather, but it was over a team that finished 6-10.

Some of you will answer Carolina in 2007. That's fine too. But it was over a team that finished 7-9 that season.

There aren't many choices left since Kubiak's Texans have only won six games on the road in three years. Your remaining choices are victories over a 2-14 Raiders team in 2006, a 4-12 Raiders team in 2007, an 8-8 Jags team in 2006, and a 4-12 Browns team last season.

So there you have it. Another futility tidbit. In three seasons, Kubiak's Texans have yet to win a road game against a team that finished a season with a winning record.

Marcus
09-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Wow. That was harsh. But unless Kubiac turns this team around, like the articles says, we are looking at between 6 and 8 wins this year.

How long do you have to wear that Jet's avatar, Thorn?

And I'm thinking 5-11 tops.

NitroGSXR
09-19-2009, 02:03 PM
How long do you have to wear that Jet's avatar, Thorn?

And I'm thinking 5-11 tops.

We all have to wear it until Sunday comes. I'll change mine out at midnight on Sat.

JDizzle
09-19-2009, 02:29 PM
To add fuel to the fire; a snippet from AJ's latest circulation:

Link (http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner%7Ey2009m9d17-Texans-limping-into-Tennessee-literally-and-figuratively)

That's embarrassing.

Ckw
09-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Wow. These articles are making me depressed big time. This franchise sucks! :headhurts:

b0ng
09-19-2009, 03:54 PM
So in what week are going to see the "I'm done watching the Texans" threads made by posters who claim to not care anymore but will still post everyday.

I'm guessing week 4 or 5.

rmartin65
09-19-2009, 03:56 PM
So in what week are going to see the "I'm done watching the Texans" threads made by posters who claim to not care anymore but will still post everyday.

I'm guessing week 4 or 5.

We go out and get crushed tomorrow, it might be tomorrow evening. Alot of pessimism here, and alot of it is warranted.

b0ng
09-19-2009, 04:07 PM
We go out and get crushed tomorrow, it might be tomorrow evening. Alot of pessimism here, and alot of it is warranted.

There is some pessimism but most of the stuff in here is just bluster, hyperbole, and people raging out because of the horrible beating the team took. I can equate most of the posts in here to "RAWRAWRAWR GARY KUBIAK RAWR RAWR RAWR PATTERNZ RAWR".

Just seems to me like most of the people are going to claim they don't care anymore yet will still post, every day, about how much they don't care.

Fitting for this fan base I suppose. Apathy until the team does something good then "WE'RE #1". I give all of that a giant "meh".

Marcus
09-19-2009, 09:54 PM
There is some pessimism but most of the stuff in here is just bluster, hyperbole, and people raging out because of the horrible beating the team took. I can equate most of the posts in here to "RAWRAWRAWR GARY KUBIAK RAWR RAWR RAWR PATTERNZ RAWR".

Just seems to me like most of the people are going to claim they don't care anymore yet will still post, every day, about how much they don't care.

Fitting for this fan base I suppose. Apathy until the team does something good then "WE'RE #1". I give all of that a giant "meh".

I don't think there any posts that I've seen where people claim they no longer care. You might find some that "wished" that they could stop caring. I admit, I'm one of those. It's like being in love with someone that doesn't love you back. You wish that you could throw the switch that would allow you to not care, but it doesn't exist.

So, you're "stucK" with having to remain a fan. Eight years of the same old crap would make anyone a little jaded. And I think we, as fans, have a perfect right to be negative and pessimistic.

CoastalTexan
09-19-2009, 11:55 PM
They don't even compete in games year after year. They come out to play one week and then look like they are nursing a hangover the next. (coaches and players) To be a good team you have to bring it every week.

ObsiWan
09-26-2009, 03:50 PM
They don't even compete in games year after year. They come out to play one week and then look like they are nursing a hangover the next. (coaches and players) To be a good team you have to bring it every week.

Let's hope they "bring it" the rest of this season like they did in Nashville.

b0ng
09-26-2009, 03:56 PM
So, you're "stucK" with having to remain a fan. Eight years of the same old crap would make anyone a little jaded. And I think we, as fans, have a perfect right to be negative and pessimistic.

It's not like the Oilers never did that. They just won championships.

Silver Oak
09-26-2009, 04:08 PM
I started to reply in this thread again, but decided to continue dwelling on the win last week and other positive thoughts.

Y'all enjoy your negativity now ya hear?

:fans:

IlliniJen
09-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I started to reply in this thread again, but decided to continue dwelling on the win last week and other positive thoughts.

Wins like the one over the Titans last week need to become the norm rather than the exception before Gary is off the hot seat. Let's hope it becomes a pattern of team behavior to win and win nasty if they have to.

ObsiWan
09-26-2009, 04:24 PM

Hey, my post wasn't negative!
Let's hope they "bring it" the rest of this season like they did in Nashville.
:foottap:

GNTLEWOLF
09-27-2009, 01:52 AM

It's not about negativity...It IS about opening one's eyes and seeing things for what they are. This reminds me of the story of "the Emporer's New Clothes" . We are naked, and most people on these boards don't really see it. For me..this team needs more than just a handful of surprise wins...they need to actually turn the corner before I will buy into the Kubiak koolaid anymore. I will always be a Texans fan, but I just don't want to call crap gold. Kubiak is on the hot seat until this team proves otherwise bu actually putting together a string of winning seasons.

b0ng
09-27-2009, 01:56 AM
It's not about negativity...It IS about opening one's eyes and seeing things for what they are. This reminds me of the story of "the Emporer's New Clothes" . We are naked, and most people on these boards don't really see it. For me..this team needs more than just a handful of surprise wins...they need to actually turn the corner before I will buy into the Kubiak koolaid anymore. I will always be a Texans fan, but I just don't want to call crap gold. Kubiak is on the hot seat until this team proves otherwise bu actually putting together a string of winning seasons.

How is any of this post not negativity?

Other than the first phrase obviously which states "It's not about negativity" and then you just go and bash.

CloakNNNdagger
09-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Wow. These articles are making me depressed big time. This franchise sucks! :headhurts:

Do not despair, Grasshopper. Let's look at AJ's quote:

So there you have it. Another futility tidbit. In three seasons, Kubiak's Texans have yet to win a road game against a team that finished a season with a winning record.

That tells us that the Tacks will not having a winning record this season, hopefully helping us, climb a rung or two on the AFC ladder.:)

WesmanTexanfan
09-27-2009, 03:51 PM
I cant take this, we dont have an over load of talent but we have a good amount on this football team. Good talent + bad coaching = Texans

And it starts AT THE TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcus
09-27-2009, 04:53 PM

Like I said, I have VERY GOOD reasons to be negative.

Hervoyel
09-27-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm there now. I want Kubiak fired. I'm finished following his make-believe turnaround.

nero THE zero
09-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm there now. I want Kubiak fired. I'm finished following his make-believe turnaround.

Yep. I was willing to let them rebound after the Jets game. So long as we came out of the first quarter of the season with three wins I was happy, no matter how it happened.

But, I'm official on (or am I off?) board.

I want Cowher more than anything. Where's the soap?

jaayteetx
09-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm with the line of thinking, lets see how this year pans out. No playoffs or no winning record= No Kubiak next year for me.

Goatcheese
09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
As much as I love the offensive power house Kubiak has built here, he has made just horrible, awful, embarrassing personnel decisions.

Back to back shameful defensive coordinators, and a dreadful GM who is terrible at drafting, terrible at bringing in quality free agents, and terrible at keeping our own guys happy.

These people were brought here because Kubiak wanted them.

As great as I think he is, you can't surround yourself with turds and tell everybody to smell the roses. Either Kubiak needs to stand up and start firing these incompetents, or he is done.

Ckw
09-27-2009, 05:34 PM
As much as I love the offensive power house Kubiak has built here, he has made just horrible, awful, embarrassing personnel decisions.

Back to back shameful defensive coordinators, and a dreadful GM who is terrible at drafting, terrible at bringing in quality free agents, and terrible at keeping our own guys happy.

These people were brought here because Kubiak wanted them.

As great as I think he is, you can't surround yourself with turds and tell everybody to smell the roses. Either Kubiak needs to stand up and start firing these incompetents, or he is done.

I very much disagree with you about our GM being terrible at drafting. We have actually been pretty successful and his first rounders have been great, except for Okoye of course but essentially everyone was sold on Amobi. Everything else you say about him is right on.

I am with you that as much as I love Kubiak's offense, his defense is so terrible that I can't take it anymore. For the most part, the best head coaches are defensive minded head coaches. I don't know why that is but it sure seems to be the case in the NFL. You can find a good offensive coordinator to create a good offense, but it is much harder to find a stud DC because most of the great defensive coordinators become head coaches.

eriadoc
09-27-2009, 05:35 PM

And aren't you the author of the pink soap avatars? Make it happen! :)

Marcus
09-27-2009, 05:36 PM
I understand the sentiment with firing Kubiak completely . . .

. . . but for the love of God, can we forget about Bill Cowher? :hairpull:

ObsiWan
09-27-2009, 05:39 PM

yes PLEASE!!

eriadoc
09-27-2009, 05:39 PM

Yeah, I agree. As the last few years have shown, any coach can come in and win. It's about ideas, not pedigrees. And by the way, it took Cowher how many years to win a SB? Coaches don't get that long anymore. See this thread for evidence.

mariowillshine15
09-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I agree. As the last few years have shown, any coach can come in and win. It's about ideas, not pedigrees. And by the way, it took Cowher how many years to win a SB? Coaches don't get that long anymore. See this thread for evidence.

Yeah Pittsburgh has the most patient loyal owner in the league. If he was with any other franchise and went that long before winning the Super Bowl he would of been canned.

dickieb
09-27-2009, 06:00 PM
We should have gotten Singletary.

Goatcheese
09-27-2009, 06:04 PM
I very much disagree with you about our GM being terrible at drafting. We have actually been pretty successful and his first rounders have been great, except for Okoye of course but essentially everyone was sold on Amobi. Everything else you say about him is right on.

I am with you that as much as I love Kubiak's offense, his defense is so terrible that I can't take it anymore. For the most part, the best head coaches are defensive minded head coaches. I don't know why that is but it sure seems to be the case in the NFL. You can find a good offensive coordinator to create a good offense, but it is much harder to find a stud DC because most of the great defensive coordinators become head coaches.

I don't see it.

As bad as Asserly was, he brought in more Pro bowlers than Smith has NFL caliber starters.

mussop
09-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah Pittsburgh has the most patient loyal owner in the league. If he was with any other franchise and went that long before winning the Super Bowl he would of been canned.

Ridiculous!!!

Wrong. Jeff Fisher who is considered one of the best coaches in the NFL didnt even break .500 until his 6th year.

Cowher is a great coach and compares favorable to any coach available. In 15 years coaching Pittsburg he won his division 8 times, got 2nd twice, finished .500 or above 12 times, went to the playoffs 10 times, 4 AFC Championship Games and 2 Superbowls winning one of them. He won a total of 149 games and lost only 90 for a .623 winning %. Thats better than Fisher (.557) or Shottenheimer (.613).

If we arent going to bring in a proven winner we should just keep Kubiack.

I know there is very little chance of him coming here but please show me a better candidate.

gwallaia
09-27-2009, 06:53 PM
I consider this game to be Kubiak and the entire coaching staff's resignation letter.

Do we continue the rest of the season with a lame duck staff or do we concede the season and going ahead and hire a real coaching staff so they will have time to tune up for next season?

eriadoc
09-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Wrong.

Uhh, first of all, I said coaches don't get that long "anymore", so that sort of implies that current coaches that get hired don't get that kind of time to win (as opposed to coaches that have already been around). But that's OK. Since you labeled me "wrong", and since you used Fisher's 6-year mark as his .500 mark (ignoring the extenuating circumstances along the way), go ahead and finish pointing out how wrong I am by counting how many current NFL head coaches have more than 6 years with their current organization.

Let me know when you have an answer that shows I'm wrong that coaches don't get that long anymore.

Norg
09-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Naa let the year play out

Look what clevend did fired there beloved coach the players loved him and got mangenie now its down in teh dumps

Same with San deigo and Redskins i really think there former coaches are better then the ones they got now

Redtexan#34
09-27-2009, 07:30 PM
From all that i have heard and read Bob McNair is a stand up guy, class act. He is not impulsive, Knee jerk reaction type of owner like Snyder and Jones. I bet the Texans would have to win only like 4 maybe 5 games for Kubiak to be fired. If I was a betting man I would say that the Texans are going to win just enough games to keep Kubiak employed. I can actually see this team getting a little better and gelling together to finish 9-7 and just miss the playoffs. Which will suck because McNair will give him a extension and we as loyal Texans fans will continue to be stuck in mediocrity.

Heres a scenario to think about. Kubiak gets fired. Mike shannahan is hired to replace Wade Philips in Dallas and Shannahan brings in Kubiak to be his offensive cordinator. The Cowboys which we will play next season in Houston come into Relaint and beat us down. I think that would be the worst loss yet.

mussop
09-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Uhh, first of all, I said coaches don't get that long "anymore", so that sort of implies that current coaches that get hired don't get that kind of time to win (as opposed to coaches that have already been around). But that's OK. Since you labeled me "wrong", and since you used Fisher's 6-year mark as his .500 mark (ignoring the extenuating circumstances along the way), go ahead and finish pointing out how wrong I am by counting how many current NFL head coaches have more than 6 years with their current organization.

Let me know when you have an answer that shows I'm wrong that coaches don't get that long anymore.

Ok I stand corrected. Just a little wound up after the loss. Sorry didnt mean it as a personal attack.

mattieuk
09-27-2009, 09:42 PM
There is nothing to gain by firing Kubiak at the moment. Sure 1-2 isn't how we would have wanted to be after 3, and it hasn't been anything like pretty. But getting rid of a HC after 3 weeks, in our situation just does not make sense.

He stays. Its an end of the season decision.

mussop
09-27-2009, 10:02 PM
There is nothing to gain by firing Kubiak at the moment. Sure 1-2 isn't how we would have wanted to be after 3, and it hasn't been anything like pretty. But getting rid of a HC after 3 weeks, in our situation just does not make sense.

He stays. Its an end of the season decision.

I dissagree. Once we are eliminated from the playoffs there is no reason to continue this sham.

OzzO
09-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Okay, how bout this? Since there doesn't seem to be any leading candidates out there that makes one (well, me anyway) perk up and say - "wow, that'd be a definite improvement over what we currently have and can see a quick 180..."

Our offense seems to be running well - continues to be the defense issues... why not look for a better "proven" defensive coordinator as assistant head coach - or is that just not possible?

Marcus
09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
. . .why not look for a better "proven" defensive coordinator as assistant head coach - or is that just not possible?

You mean right now . . . while the season is going on?

OzzO
09-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Sure, why not? Not saying to nix what we have (what do we have) early in the season... but what harm would there be in some "DC window shopping"? Perhaps someone wonder about their position, perhaps light a fire, some players start seeing the defensive coaches as lame ducks?

Jackie Chiles
09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
I said earlier in this thread that if I was Bob McNair after the Jets game I would be thinking to myself that Gary needs 10 wins to keep his job. That is still the number but I would like to throw out another name that I don't believe has been mentioned in this thread. Leslie Frazier, DC Minnesota.

He has been a pretty hot candidate the last couple of years and he just missed out on getting one of the jobs last year. I think it is almost a guarantee that he will be a head coach for someone next year. This is a guy that, while he can't bring his defensive line with him, knows what it takes to win in the trenches on defense. I would trust him to drop the dead weight on our line and start finding some real players to put around Mario. He doesn't need to shake up the offense a great deal either. As a side note, he is likely to be choice numero uno for at least a couple teams so the fact that his son is a WR at Rice might help make us more attractive.

dickieb
09-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure if his name has been mentioned in here and I know a lot of us are not keen on giving an unexperienced coach a shot but what do you guys think about the Houston coach - is it Sumlin? I am a Texas Tech fan but I saw him prepare his team to beat OSU and Tech - not bad. Is he the real deal or is it too early to tell?

GP
09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure if his name has been mentioned in here and I know a lot of us are not keen on giving an unexperienced coach a shot but what do you guys think about the Houston coach - is it Sumlin? I am a Texas Tech fan but I saw him prepare his team to beat OSU and Tech - not bad. Is he the real deal or is it too early to tell?

IMO, what we witnessed Saturday night was two teams that do the same thing. And one team did it better on that specific night.

The spread offense is a joke, in terms of making your entire team a true contender. You'll beat up on teams that are annually bad and have no offense themselves, but you'll lose to teams that have legit offenses. Because a team that runs a spread offense seems to always have a leaky defense, due to getting 3 minutes of rest and being trotted back onto the field without enough rest between series.

Look how many times that the only way Tech wins is if they get the ball with 2-3 minutes remaining in the game. LOL.

I am a Tech fan, and the spread is a double-edged sword IMO. It cuts the other team's defense...but it cuts our own defense at the same time.

Sumlin and Leach are good at running the spread. Does that translate to them running an NFL team? Probably not. Just my opinion, though.

BigBull17
09-28-2009, 12:30 PM

I was waiting for this. No. Just no.He's a good college coach, but that doesn't mean he'll translate.

dickieb
09-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah I figured that - but i just wanted to gauge the H-town feel for him see if there was something to him. I hope he can run the table for the Cougars - at least most of you guys could find happiness with them. I want a proven NFL guy - not a college coach, hometown boy, or a relative of someone in the organization.

Goldensilence
09-28-2009, 12:58 PM
The only problem I have with firing Kubiak is.....looking over this staff I get sick of the idea of looking at an interim replacement in staff. Of the people here I think only Ray Rhodes inspires any sort of confidence. I don't think his health will allow him to do it though.

We all knew Kubiak's job was on the line when he promoted Bush, guess Gary didn't care.

IMO if we don't bring in a coach who doesn't have any sort of winning pedigree we might as well keep Kubiak.

Bring on Marty Ball!