PDA

View Full Version : The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

Mr teX
10-06-2013, 11:09 PM
If we go 8-8 or better, i think he stays and bob give him the opportunity to pick another qb......which is the worst case scenario in my mind....besides keeping the status quo that is...

7-9 or worse and i actually think Bob pulls the trigger..

Texecutioner
10-06-2013, 11:51 PM
i think there will be enough of an uproar this time. Seems like 70 percent of people already want some change

I would hope that you were right, but I can assure you that Kubiak will be back for at least one more season. Mcnair loves him like a son, and Mcnair is terrified of change. He hates the thought of new coaches and a new GM which is exactly what he would have to do with Smith as well who is a Kubiak disciple. We are stuck with Kubes.

djohn2oo8
10-07-2013, 11:33 AM
That I hope Kubiak loses the locker room? To the point that Uncle Bob is forced to make a change, though I realize it wouldn't be until after the season. Worst possible scenario is they do just enough to barely miss, or make the playoffs, enough to consider it a "good season". Don't want any of that. Constantly not having your team ready and getting embarrassed when the lights are bright, I have to think last night would carry some weight in making a move.

HOU-TEX
10-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Kinda random, but wasn't it Kubiak's idea to only be extended an additional 2 years? Saying something like he's hoping to be worth a lot more (SB winner) by then. I reckon I can give him props for that....unless McNair extends him again lol

Vinny
10-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Kinda random, but wasn't it Kubiak's idea to only be extended an additional 2 years? Saying something like he's hoping to be worth a lot more (SB winner) by then. I reckon I can give him props for that....unless McNair extends him again lol

McNair did it for David Carr in a similar scenario.

Double Barrel
10-07-2013, 12:08 PM
I would hope that you were right, but I can assure you that Kubiak will be back for at least one more season. Mcnair loves him like a son, and Mcnair is terrified of change. He hates the thought of new coaches and a new GM which is exactly what he would have to do with Smith as well who is a Kubiak disciple. We are stuck with Kubes.

QFT. I would be shocked if Kubiak is gone next year.

Besides, our ox is not stuck in the ditch right now. They just need to "look at the tape" to fix it according to the beleaguered head coach.

Hervoyel
10-07-2013, 12:23 PM

I disagree completely (about Rick Smith). I'd let Kubiak go and keep Smith. He's been a pretty good GM and I'd like to see how he fared without being tied at the hip to Gary.

I bet he gets better without Kubiak.

cstyle42
10-07-2013, 12:26 PM
I disagree completely (about Rick Smith). I'd let Kubiak go and keep Smith. He's been a pretty good GM and I'd like to see how he fared without being tied at the hip to Gary.

Smith would be gone too I refuse to think he would just fire Kubiak alone he is the type to make another black guy to scapegoat along with him lol

Honoring Earl 34
10-07-2013, 12:28 PM

Besides, our ox is not stuck in the ditch right now. They just need to "look at the tape" to fix it according to the beleaguered head coach.

Teams have figured out what Kubiak and Schaub are doing . Kinda like a Little League baseball game where the coach tells the pitcher to throw two fastballs and a change up , every time . The coach is dismayed and says , " it's like they know it's coming " .

eriadoc
10-07-2013, 12:45 PM

He's right, you know. The problem jumps out at 99.999999% of everyone watching the tape.

Vinny
10-07-2013, 02:07 PM

I bet he gets better without Kubiak.I'd be good with that. Let Smith pick the Coach instead of having a backwards system of the Coach being the GM's boss. There is no accountability in such an arrangement.

thunderkyss
10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
I just heard them called nutless & noodlearm on the radio.

I think it's going to catch on.

markn
10-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Exactly my thoughts

Porky
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Thing is many of us ordinary Joe's saw the problem from a mile away and wanted to fix it in the offseason. Whether it was changing up the offense, changing QB's - whatever.

I remember Kubes saying after the year that they were going to be really critical of themselves and spend an awful lot of time self scouting to correct the problems that happened later in the year. And we bought it hook line and sinker.

Anyone see any significant difference between this years offense and last?

WolverineFan
10-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Rick Smith has done a great job IMO. He cleaned up the roster and added tons of talent. He's gone out and signed good free agents. He's drafted well. He extended Foster, Brown, and Cushing.

Really the only wrong thing he's done is extend Schaub and I think he was forced into that.

Vinny
10-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Anyone see any significant difference between this years offense and last? Most teams offense evolves over the years. We stagnate.

Porky
10-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Most teams offense evolves over the years. We stagnate.

Gary is completely married to his offense. We've been running the same virtually identical offense and plays for 8 years now. It CAN work when everything goes perfect. What I don't like is there is no margin for error and it relies on long drives (in general) and if one lugnut falls off a wheel, it's like the whole car burns to the ground.

I would bring in Case, and change things up. I grant you, it's not going to be a whole different offense. You cannot put in a different O mid-season, but you can run some different looks and different plays. You can work to break your tendencies. You can get Case on the move, and run things within the same offense that Matt is simply not capable of. You can test the deep middle of the field.

Matt has clearly regressed. It's to the point that I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have Carr under center (the Carr from when he played here) than MS because at least Carr had a cannon and some mobility although I grant you he had zero pocket awareness and his own issues with decision making.

*sigh*

Mr teX
10-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Most teams offense evolves over the years. We stagnate.

Its been obvious to me for weeks now. Teams are manipulating kubiak's offense....as Seth Payne said today, defenses are showing Matt exactly what he wants to see..according to what the offense tells him he needs to look for....they are effectively baiting him and the offense into throwing where they want him to throw b/c the offense is so controlled.

It works b/c i think they know Matt and the offense cant audible out of plays or are extremely limited in what they can do....basically they're dictating to the offense not the other way around.

People focus on the throw....but AJ ran the route to go with that throw....meaning he read the same thing out there that Matt did.....

jaayteetx
10-13-2013, 04:38 PM
So, when's this gonna happen already?

PapaL
10-13-2013, 05:18 PM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/IamPapaL/kub_zps188c0e00.jpg

Rey
10-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Time for kubiak to kick rocks.

GlenRice
10-20-2013, 06:29 PM
He is the reason texans lost today and will keep losing game as HC. fyi keenum is legit.

NastyNate
10-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Who is this Kubaik fellow you speak of?

GlenRice
10-20-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm so heated right now I can't even spell stright

tedr
10-20-2013, 06:37 PM
That was crappy play calling when we had first and goal at the one. No excuse for not punching it in there.

I thought Case did great, and did plenty to earn a start in two weeks.

I do believe this season is over, though. We need a new coach.

SchaubApologist
10-20-2013, 06:39 PM
He is the reason texans lost today and will keep losing game as HC. fyi keenum is legit.

Your thread offers supreme insight and I am a better fan for having read it.

:splits:

GlenRice
10-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Can't get it in 1st and goal on the 1. Still after 8 years can't mange the clock. Knows defense will bring blitz does nothing to defuse it. Kubiak needs to go.

Thorn
10-20-2013, 06:53 PM
There are a lot of things wrong with the Texans right now, and Kubiak is just one of them. There'll be no playoffs this year. I'm already prepared to be horribly pissed off when Kubiak is still our head coach next year.

So I'm just gonna relax, not expect a whole lot, and hope Keenum continues to play. If they trot out Schaub or Yates later on I'll probably just turn the sound off and nap.

DBCooper
10-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Kubake has mange?

bOODRO87
10-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Two-time division champs! Don't screw with us if you're the Bengals.

TEXANRED
10-20-2013, 06:59 PM
kubiak should be fired and fired now. The season is over and there is no reason to keep him around just to "finish strong" in december and change mcnair's mind.

IlliniJen
10-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Did y'all see the end of the first half with something like 50 seconds left and 2 time outs? Kubiak looked like he wanted to run the clock out. First down, out comes the run for a good gain. No time out called. Second play is a run. No time out called after a good gain. Suddenly, the Texans have a change to get in field goal range, but Kubiak called his usual testicle-free end of half conservative bullsheet and we ran out of time to give Keenum a chance to move the ball a little more to get into FG range.

The Texans mistakenly played some good offense and foiled Gary's plan to run the clock out.

FIRE KUBIAK. His non-aggressive p*ssy playcalling is costing this team. We HAD a chance to get into field goal range if he just let the team go for something other than his safe playcalling.

I'm actively hating him now. Frack that guy. FRACK HIM.

silvrhand
10-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Did y'all see the end of the first half with something like 50 seconds left and 2 time outs? Kubiak looked like he wanted to run the clock out. First down, out comes the run for a good gain. No time out called. Second play is a run. No time out called after a good gain. Suddenly, the Texans have a change to get in field goal range, but Kubiak called his usual testicle-free end of half conservative bullsheet and we ran out of time to give Keenum a chance to move the ball a little more to get into FG range.

The Texans mistakenly played some good offense and foiled Gary's plan to run the clock out.

FIRE KUBIAK. His non-aggressive p*ssy playcalling is costing this team. We HAD a chance to get into field goal range if he just let the team go for something other than his safe playcalling.

MSR, someone give Jen some more rep for me..

stingray
10-20-2013, 07:11 PM

That sequence and the 3rd and 21 play is when I really yelled at the TV. Kubiak thinks he's coaching in the 1970's. You need to get as many points as you can in the current NFL. There's no more 10-7 games anymore.

bOODRO87
10-20-2013, 07:12 PM

Done.

eriadoc
10-20-2013, 07:13 PM

Done.

gafftop
10-20-2013, 07:16 PM

Must disagree with you totally.
Smith has made some nice little moves but he has missed on the big ones.

1. MS extension
2. Ed Reed signing over Quinn
3. Keeping Mario that last year.
4. GK is still here
5. Cap management

What has he done that makes him a good GM.

Texian
10-20-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm not piling on here but I've been on show Smubiak the door train since 2010.

1. David Shaw
2. Jimbo Fisher
3. Darrell Bevell
4. Dan Quinn
5. Sean McDermott

That is all!

Lord Bills
10-20-2013, 07:18 PM

conservative play not to lose mentality was in full display. What i dont understand is if you are gonna kill the clock why end up passing during the end of that drive?

You should have gone for it. Its like he changed his mind mid stream. Ridiculous play calling before the half.

dalemurphy
10-20-2013, 07:20 PM

He handled the clock perfectly in that situation. Given the game situation, etc... he did what all good NFL coaches would have done. There are issues with Kubiak, for sure, but he manages those situations well... They almost scored, either getting the tipped TD or getting into FG range... How much criticism would he have gotten if they had left 40 seconds on the clock and given up a KC field goal or TD before half? Or, put an inexperienced QB in a position to turn it over and give up points right before half in an otherwise manageable game

stingray
10-20-2013, 07:24 PM
He handled the clock perfectly in that situation. Given the game situation, etc... he did what all good NFL coaches would have done. There are issues with Kubiak, for sure, but he manages those situations well... They almost scored, either getting the tipped TD or getting into FG range... How much criticism would he have gotten if they had left 40 seconds on the clock and given up a KC field goal or TD before half? Or, put an inexperienced QB in a position to turn it over and give up points right before half in an otherwise manageable game

I'm sorry but you can't just roll over on offense with a minute to go before the half and your down, and your team is on a 4 game losing streak and you were supposed to be a SB contender. If the team was 4-2 instead of 2-4 then maybe. But kubiak is as spineless as a jellyfish. Can't wait to get rid of this bum.

Lord Bills
10-20-2013, 07:25 PM
not having the capability to go no huddle and not allowing your QB to freely audible in 2013 is fireable offense.

b0ng
10-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Couldn't put that creative thread title through the search engine to see if maybe we might already have a "Fire Kubaik" thread. A one sentence first post. You work pretty hard creating this thread yeah?

Seegara
10-20-2013, 07:32 PM
And fire him now so the new HC has some time to rebuild the team.

Norg
10-20-2013, 07:38 PM
for one third down I would ONCEEE !!! like to see a two tight end and RB protection set hell a extra lineman and just run the ball and see what happens LOL

Marcus
10-20-2013, 08:03 PM
There are some lazy motherf'kers here that don't want to take the time to look up the "All Encompassing Fire Kubiak" (oh excuse me..Kubaik) thread.

And if you're just waiting for a moderator to dig it up for you, that's even more pathetic.

:loser

thunderkyss
10-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Must disagree with you totally.
Smith has made some nice little moves but he has missed on the big ones.

1. MS extension
2. Ed Reed signing over Quinn
3. Keeping Mario that last year.
4. GK is still here
5. Cap management

What has he done that makes him a good GM.

He didn't pay Schaub $100M dollars. He didn't pay Barwin $5M/yr. He didn't pay $5M/yr for Briesel, or Quin, or Casey. He didn't franchise Dunta a 2nd time. He didn't let Winston stay & steal our money (he wouldn't have played any better than Newton).

Some good, some bad. At least he's not Casserly. We'd have signed Reed for 6 years $60M, probably would have kicked a 5th round pick to Baltimore for the heck of it.

YeaLikeRightNow
10-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Trade Schaub, trade Newton, retire Reed, release Marciano, make Case the starter for 2014 and make Kubiak hire an offensive coordinator.

GlenRice
10-20-2013, 08:56 PM
A great coach makes all the difference, look at the Saints this season or even the the Chiefs.

steelbtexan
10-20-2013, 09:13 PM
He didn't pay Schaub $100M dollars. He didn't pay Barwin $5M/yr. He didn't pay $5M/yr for Briesel, or Quin, or Casey. He didn't franchise Dunta a 2nd time. He didn't let Winston stay & steal our money (he wouldn't have played any better than Newton).

Some good, some bad. At least he's not Casserly. We'd have signed Reed for 6 years $60M, probably would have kicked a 5th round pick to Baltimore for the heck of it.

Signing Schaub/Cushing to extentions early in the yr after they were coming off serious injuries. Signing old man Reed and letting Quin walk.

Has it really gotten to the point where the best that can be said about Smith is that he isn't Casserly? I've been calling for Rick/Gary to be fired since 2009 and I will say the Texans will never win a SB with them in charge.

J_R
10-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Via Mark Berman

Texans owner Bob McNair on Case Keenum: "I thought he did a heck of a job. He was outstanding."

Texans owner Bob McNair on Case Keenum: "If we had given him a little better protection at the end I think he'd gotten us down the field again

Bob McNair on Gary Kubiak: "How can anybody get a team playing harder than this team was playing. I don't know how anybody can criticize him

When 2 of your best players R out, your starting QB is out, your still out there playing right down to the wire. What more can u ask of your coaches.

We're better than our record, but as we say you are what your record is too. We just got to get it going

houstonspartan
10-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Via Mark Berman

Texans owner Bob McNair on Case Keenum: "I thought he did a heck of a job. He was outstanding."

Texans owner Bob McNair on Case Keenum: "If we had given him a little better protection at the end I think he'd gotten us down the field again

Bob McNair on Gary Kubiak: "How can anybody get a team playing harder than this team was playing. I don't know how anybody can criticize him

When 2 of your best players R out, your starting QB is out, your still out there playing right down to the wire. What more can u ask of your coaches.

We're better than our record, but as we say you are what your record is too. We just got to get it going

The minute this game was over, I said to a buddy of mine: "Kubiak will get a long extension and a big raise at the end of the season."

Shaking my freaking head...

GlenRice
10-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Via Mark Berman

We're better than our record, but as we say you are what your record is too. We just got to get it going[/I]
http://media.tumblr.com/2871701bd02d9919cc6d04e3beae2ed5/tumblr_inline_muq9wyUqPz1rhidhg.gif

J_R
10-20-2013, 10:33 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/mcnair-on-keenum-i-though-he-did-a-hell-of-a-job/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

“You couldn’t play any harder,” McNair said. “In spite of Arian (Foster) and (Brian) Cushing going out, we had a chance to win right until the end. You couldn’t ask for any better effort out of our players. I was really proud of them.

“I’m discouraged we lost. We played extremely hard against a good club. Give them credit. If we keep playing the way we’d played today, we’ll win a lot of games.”

As for the five-game losing streak, he said, “We don’t have them all on the field. That’s got something to do with it. And some haven’t been playing up to the level they’re playing now.

“The talent is certainly there, but the ball hasn’t bounced our way yet. It’s hard because we’re better than our record, but you are what your record is. We’ve got to get it going.”

Keenum threw for 271 yards in his first start.

“I thought he did a hell of a job,” McNair said. “He was outstanding. If we’d have given him better protection at the end, I think he’d have gotten us down the field again.

“He showed a lot of poise. I was proud of the way he played.”

cdollaz
10-20-2013, 10:44 PM
I hope McNair is just playing nice for the reporters, because if he truly fails to see the problems with Kubiak, that is a bad sign for this franchise long-term. Kubiak, Schaub and all the other underachievers will eventually be gone, but the owner will always be around. And an owner that doesn't expect excellence would be a bummer for us fans.

thunderkyss
10-20-2013, 11:12 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/mcnair-on-keenum-i-though-he-did-a-hell-of-a-job/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I can't imagine how I would have handled those questions, so soon after the game, if I were McNair.

houstonspartan
10-20-2013, 11:30 PM
I can't imagine how I would have handled those questions, so soon after the game, if I were McNair.

Fair point. But, he could have also - as he did after the Rams game - simply made himself unavailable to the media. His comments send a massively bad message to season ticket holders...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Kubiak's leash

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker%2FAhdUCPlTgaQt6bS7hefY_noose.jpg

Lord Bills
10-21-2013, 12:29 AM
how could you not suit your 3rd running back when you know your starting RB is hobbled with a injury?

we couldnt score from the 1 freaking yard line.

Vance87
10-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Gary Kubiak.....a rich tradition of getting outcoached since 2006.

I just thought I'd quote this. It was posted in 2009.

Thorn
10-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Seems like old times. Back in the ole Fire Kubiak thread again. I feel right at home in here.

FIRE KUBIAK!!!

gafftop
10-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Just listening to 610. All Texans drive in 4th quarter start with RUN.
Gary give them a chance. Against KC you have to pass on 1st down in 4th.
Reminds me when he use to run Chris Brown up the middle in 2009 I believe.
Yesterday your run game was no better.
First and goal at 1 RUN RUN PASS.
Gary in not going to change.
5 games in a row losing with this team is a joke.
McNair don't fall for injury defense or CK find. GK is a great human being but as HC you have to do better. He will get a job as OC somewhere plus you still owe him money.
Never adjusts to adjustments. Always seems to get outcoached.

Please help me when has GK outcoached the other coach?????

deucetx
10-21-2013, 08:15 AM
I doubt Kubiak gets fired but here are some things that I had issues with that fall onto coaching:

- Derek Newton still plays. That is simple and plain. This guy has been horrendous.

- Time management in the first half. That was just a poor job on Kubiak's part.

- Playcalling toward the end. No backs simply is not going to work against the blitz which they were dialing up more in the second half. If you do it then have a quick hot read involving someone who has the ability to gain separation on the first few steps. Unfortunately, not even sure that person is on our roster.

- Utilization of tight end. I saw some routes where Graham would go on a route and sit. No extension of the route or anything. The defensive back was essentially all over him so that basically took Graham out of the play and made him useless. This may fall on Graham but considering it happened a handful of times it may have been part by design which is sad.

With that said we still had a chance to win the game. Though Kubiak said he would not handcuff Keenum I think it was obvious in pockets during the game that he was. The end of the first half was an example. Coaches rarely call the perfect game but things like time management and leaving a first time starter too often with no additonal blocking is a bit much. Well that and playing Newton so much. I am just going to assume Harris was hurt or something for that to continue.

htowntexans1985
10-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Gary is going to stay. Bob has his back......

Mr teX
10-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Gary is going to stay. Bob has his back......

& this is exactly what i was afraid was going to happen if Keenum played well.......

IlliniJen
10-21-2013, 08:40 AM
- Time management in the first half. That was just a poor job on Kubiak's part.

Time management wasn't bad. Kubiak wanted to RUN OUT THE CLOCK, as he always does at the end of halves because he doesn't want to take any chances. The Texans offense screwed up his plan of getting off the field and into the locker room by actually gaining some yards and putting them in the position to maybe get a FG.

So, the Texans were performing well DESPITE Kubiak. Only when they got within some sort of striking distance did he realize that Keenum could make something happen and started to use his two time outs.

Typical horrible gutless Kubiak playcalling. He plays to not lose the game, doesn't get aggressive or assertive in any way, and we wonder why we feel this team has reached its peak under him. He has NO balls. ZERO testicles. My two neutered male dogs, who both squat like girls to pee, have more balls than Kubiak.

He's outmatched in today's NFL. This ain't the 80's anymore. Him and Wade look completely clueless.

silvrhand
10-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Time management wasn't bad. Kubiak wanted to RUN OUT THE CLOCK, as he always does at the end of halves because he doesn't want to take any chances. The Texans offense screwed up his plan of getting off the field and into the locker room by actually gaining some yards and putting them in the position to maybe get a FG.

So, the Texans were performing well DESPITE Kubiak. Only when they got within some sort of striking distance did he realize that Keenum could make something happen and started to use his two time outs.

Typical horrible gutless Kubiak playcalling. He plays to not lose the game, doesn't get aggressive or assertive in any way, and we wonder why we feel this team has reached its peak under him. He has NO balls. ZERO testicles. My two neutered male dogs, who both squat like girls to pee, have more balls than Kubiak.

He's outmatched in today's NFL. This ain't the 80's anymore. Him and Wade look completely clueless.

Can I buy you a beer, or wait the way this season is going it'll be a shot..

steelbtexan
10-21-2013, 09:01 AM
8 yrs

How many yrs before BoB decides Gary isn't the man to Lead his org to a SB?

That's if BoB even cares about getting to a SB.

Fans that want to blame Gary/Schaub should really be looking at BoB and the way he goes about his business.

Mr. White
10-21-2013, 09:52 AM
I just thought I'd quote this. It was posted in 2009.

Yeah I remember that day like it was yesterday. That was after we got embarrassed by the Jets and made Mark Sanchez a crossover pop culture star.

I was so upset over that loss, I wasn't able to go to sleep that night. There's probably evidence of it in this thread. I'm sure it makes for an entertaining read.

I've reevaluated my life since then. I try to keep my fanhood in perspective nowadays considering that I have less than zero control over the way this team does things.

steelbtexan
10-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Yeah I remember that day like it was yesterday. That was after we got embarrassed by the Jets and made Mark Sanchez a crossover pop culture star.

I was so upset over that loss, I wasn't able to go to sleep that night. There's probably evidence of it in this thread. I'm sure it makes for an entertaining read.

I've reevaluated my life since then. I try to keep my fanhood in perspective nowadays considering that I have less than zero control over the way this team does things.

True BoB is going to do what BoB's going to do.

But enough is enough. If this season continues on its current course and I'm not talking strictly about W/L's then as a decade long season ticket holder I'm done if no major changes are made.

I bet I will not be the only one.

houstonspartan
10-21-2013, 11:12 AM
True BoB is going to do what BoB's going to do.

But enough is enough. If this season continues on its current course and I'm not talking strictly about W/L's then as a decade long season ticket holder I'm done if no major changes are made.

I bet I will not be the only one.

Wow, I was JUST telling a co-worker about 10 minutes ago that, at some point, Bob McNair will have to answer to season ticket holders. Letting a coach flail for 8 years - while other teams re-boot in two, three and four years - is unacceptable.

Something has got to give with this team.

Texian
10-21-2013, 07:48 PM
4 years ago I was feeling depressed and melancholy about the Houston Texans. It was the hiring of Frank Bush and the results of that decision that became my final straw. Today I am happy and exuberant because in recent weeks I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sure it may be a tough road over the next year and half but that is better than traveling the same road of the last 4 years. Change will be welcomed! I can now see the potential for a way to find the answer to Andrew Luck, playoffs and beyond the one and done.

For four years the Texans have started each new year with not enough salary cap to meet their minimum obligations. As a result they mortgage the future by restructuring contracts in order to complete a 53 man roster, practice squad and the other minimum obligations for that year. This has become a pattern of behavior over the last four years.

When all you can do is meet the minimum operation standards because of salary cap restraints, the team cannot get any better. After a few years of repeating the same process the team begins to decline and gets worse. Sadly with Smubiak, 2014 looks like more of the same and 2015 looks worse.

The Texans have also released or traded many players who they have not replaced with equal or better talent. Compound all of this with average to below average drafts and you have a recipe for the Houston Texans that you see today. The time has come for Kubiak and Smith to go. In the beginning I thought Gary Kubiak could be another mild mannered Texan in the mold of Tom Landry, alas I was wrong. Because of Kubiak's loyalty to his players and coaches it makes sense to me why some new contracts were done so early. The time for a new direction and level to the "Commitment to Excellence" has arrived.

One thing Bob McNair cannot afford to lose is the fan support. As this season progresses I think that will become Loud & Clear. My friendly fan suggestions are talk to Eric DeCosta, assistant GM for the Ravens who has been training under Ozzie Newsome for 17 years. Oliver Luck is smart but would he want to go against his son twice a year?

Head Coaches that deserve an opportunity, 1. David Shaw, his teams are always well prepared. 2. Jimbo Fisher, his teams are also well prepared and he reminds a bit of Jimmy Johnson. 3. Darrell Bevell, drafted Russell Wilson and wasted no time putting him into the offense, even after spending much money for other QBs in the off season. I find that intriguing.

Scooter
10-21-2013, 07:54 PM
i feel like i've read this somewhere before ... repeatedly ... by the same person ... again.

Texian
10-21-2013, 08:16 PM
i feel like i've read this somewhere before ... repeatedly ... by the same person ... again.

it's deja a vu all over again. Glad you enjoyed it!

Thorn
10-22-2013, 12:00 PM
So far at work today I've had three Texan related conversations. All of them want Kubiak gone and Case to start. LOL

Kubiak! :kubepalm:

tedr
10-22-2013, 12:24 PM
8 yrs

How many yrs before BoB decides Gary isn't the man to Lead his org to a SB?

That's if BoB even cares about getting to a SB.

Fans that want to blame Gary/Schaub should really be looking at BoB and the way he goes about his business.

The bolded part is the most important part, and is spot on. This is Kubiak's 8th season. He has made the playoffs twice, and has two playoff wins. I don't know of any coach recently in the NFL that has had this many years with one team with this little success. If there is, please correct me.

Double Barrel
10-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Wow, I was JUST telling a co-worker about 10 minutes ago that, at some point, Bob McNair will have to answer to season ticket holders. Letting a coach flail for 8 years - while other teams re-boot in two, three and four years - is unacceptable.

Something has got to give with this team.

Unfortunately for fans, the owners have instituted a perfect diabolical plan to counter any potential situation that would have season ticket holders giving up in substantial numbers.

That plan is called personal seat licenses - aka PSLs.

Franchise after franchise has implemented this plan with each new taxpayer funded stadium built, and it all but guarantees "sell outs" regardless of the results on the field. We need look no further than our own Houston Texans as a perfect example of this plan in action over many years. They brag about 11 seasons of "sell outs", in spite of winning just two playoff games and only three winning seasons in that span of time.

Attendance might go down as a by-product of shoddy product, but make no mistake, the owner and league still makes a nice profit and do not concern themselves with mass fan exodus due to the PSL "investment".

houstonspartan
10-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Unfortunately for fans, the owners have instituted a perfect diabolical plan to counter any potential situation that would have season ticket holders giving up in substantial numbers.

That plan is called personal seat licenses - aka PSLs.

Franchise after franchise has implemented this plan with each new taxpayer funded stadium built, and it all but guarantees "sell outs" regardless of the results on the field. We need look no further than our own Houston Texans as a perfect example of this plan in action over many years. They brag about 11 seasons of "sell outs", in spite of winning just two playoff games and only three winning seasons in that span of time.

Attendance might go down as a by-product of shoddy product, but make no mistake, the owner and league still makes a nice profit and do not concern themselves with mass fan exodus due to the PSL "investment".

So, season ticket holders aren't important? Nope. Ain't buying it.

Most season ticket holders have accepted the PSL - which were usually paid years ago - as a sunk cost. True, no one wants to give that sunk cost up, but a lot of ticket holders will weigh giving up that sunk cost against constantly rising costs of tickets for a meidocre team.

Also, owners get quite a bit of revenue from parking (which, at Reliant, has almost doubled over the last several years) and concessions.

You cannot raise ticket prices when the product does not warrant it. You can't. That's why McNair kept ticket prices at one level for several years, and then raised them the year after we went 9-7.

infantrycak
10-22-2013, 01:12 PM
The bolded part is the most important part, and is spot on. This is Kubiak's 8th season. He has made the playoffs twice, and has two playoff wins. I don't know of any coach recently in the NFL that has had this many years with one team with this little success. If there is, please correct me.

Marvin Lewis is in his 11th year - 4 playoffs, 0 wins. But your point holds generally.

badboy
10-22-2013, 01:18 PM

I'm actively hating him now. Frack that guy. FRACK HIM.Exactly what I saw. After the run, call time out and work sidelines for yardage. I was yelling at the tv. TV yelled back that Gary was afraid of a pick six. What irks me is we could have won this game.

toronto
10-22-2013, 01:20 PM

Minus 1999, Jeff Fisher. Actually, Kubiak has a worst record and less playoff succes than Fish, and I always felt Fisher was ridicukously overrated in this category (see 2000, 2003, 2004, 2008)

Marcus
10-22-2013, 01:36 PM

Most season ticket holders have accepted the PSL - which were usually paid years ago - as a sunk cost. True, no one wants to give that sunk cost up, but a lot of ticket holders will weigh giving up that sunk cost against constantly rising costs of tickets for a meidocre team.

Also, owners get quite a bit of revenue from parking (which, at Reliant, has almost doubled over the last several years) and concessions.

You cannot raise ticket prices when the product does not warrant it. You can't. That's why McNair kept ticket prices at one level for several years, and then raised them the year after we went 9-7.

Wrong on all counts. The owners get the significant money from the TV contracts. The fans and parking is insignificant window dressing.

Bob McNair could CARE LESS what the fans think. WHY? Because they are just not all that important. Quit believing that tired myth that the fans are important because "they pay the players' salaries". THEY DON'T. They are nothing but loose pocket change at best.

YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT.

toronto
10-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Wrong on all counts. The owners get the significant money from the TV contracts. The fans and parking is insignificant window dressing.

Bob McNair could CARE LESS what the fans think. WHY? Because they are just not all that important. Quit believing that tired myth that the fans are important because "they pay the players' salaries". THEY DON'T. They are nothing but loose pocket change at best.

YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT.

Very true and this article breaks down just how crazy wealthy the NFL is, and why they could easily pay $750M to players. Look at the revenue!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/12/14/the-nfl-signs-tv-deals-worth-26-billion/

Financial terms have not been released, but the three networks are expected to pay roughly $3 billion a year on average annually compared to the current $1.93 billion they collectively pay. ESPN re-upped its deal with the NFL earlier this year at an annual rate of $1.9 billion. Factor in other media deals with the NFL Network, DirectTV ($1 billion annually), Westwood One radio and others, and NFL teams will divvy up nearly $7 billion in media money starting in 2014. That is more than $200 million per team every year before one ticket, beer or jersey is sold.

Its also worth noting that since he got the team, the value of the Texans has increased over 400 million, minimum. These guys aren't billionaires by accident.

houstonspartan
10-22-2013, 02:21 PM

YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT.

Speak for yourself. You are not important, but, I - and other fans - are. No, I'm not being naieve.

Also, when did I say the majority of revenue comes from parking and concessions? I said a lot of it does. You are correct: most of it comes from tv contracts.

Speaking of which, exactly how do you think tv contract amounts are set? By ratings. And guess who ratings are determined? By the number of people watching a particular game. That's why the Texans freaked several years ago when tv stations in Beaumont-Port Arthur and Austin stopped carrying their games. The know that eyeballs = tv ratings = revenue.

But, guess what? You're likely to lose viewers if you don't build your FAN BASE.

A strong, loyal fan base keeps the tv contract money flowing.

utahmark
10-22-2013, 02:24 PM

YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT.

Who watches the games on TV? It always comes back to the fans.

Texian
10-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Bob McNair could CARE LESS what the fans think.

Bob McNair cannot afford to lose fan support.

Carr Bombed
10-22-2013, 02:48 PM

YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT.

If your fan base becomes disinterested in your product, they stop showing up and buying tickets, stop putting butts in your seats.. and your games get blacked out and stop getting shown on TV. You then start losing sponsorship money from a crap load of local companies who want to associate themselves with the team in order to sell their product to the fans.. So this goes way beyond just "ticket revenue, parking, and concession sales". Everybody wants to be a part of a winner and a winner that has people beating down their door to get in and buy their product.. it's good for business.

Trust me, NcNair cares about what the fans think of his team.. it's why he's always cared so much about P.R. I mean it sure is a hell of a lot easier to get brand new shiny T.V.s paid for and installed in your stadium when you have some of the best fan support in the entire league.

Double Barrel
10-22-2013, 03:02 PM

I'm not selling. I never said that season ticket holders are not important.

But, please explain to me how season ticket holders will somehow demand answers from Bob McNair.

Your exact statement: "Bob McNair will have to answer to season ticket holders"

How?

Perhaps I assumed you meant by turning in their season tickets with my reply. Because this is the only way McNair gets that message.

If not, what do you propose?

It did not happen after 2-14.

It did not happen after 6-10 in Kubiak's fourth season.

You speak for ALL season ticket holders? How?

As already eloquently explained by Marcus and Toronto, parking passes and game tickets are a small percentage of the overall profit that teams take in.

31 TEAMS IN THE NFL MAKES A PROFIT EVERY SEASON. (The exception is the Lions (http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201308/only-one-nfl-team-lost-money-2012), who reside in a third world country and have crappy management - see hiring Matt Millen as an example)

Profit. In spite of records. Profit. In spite of ticket sales. Profit. In spite of merchandising sales.

Certainly successful teams make more profit than others. But that does not change the basic fact that virtually all teams make a profit. Every season.

Shared revenue was instituted decades ago to ensure that NFL teams turn a profit every season.

YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT.

QFT. This times 1000. All the bellyaching, protesting, bitching and moaning, or whatever else fans try to do to get the attention of owners is pointless.

Besides, McNair has already said that he doesn't listen to fans. Most of the time I consider that a good thing.

Double Barrel
10-22-2013, 03:11 PM
For anyone delusional enough to think McNair hears you:

Bob McNair: Texans playing hard (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9856631/owner-bob-mcnair-houston-texans-backs-coach-gary-kubiak)

"How could anybody get a team playing harder than this team is playing?" McNair said. "I don't know how anybody can criticize him. You tell me. How are you going to get them to play harder than that when you've got two of your best players out, your starting quarterback is out. You're still out there playing right down to the wire. What more can you ask of your coaches?"

"I think the team performed very well today," McNair said. "I don't know how you're going to do better."

Dated Sunday, 20 October 2013

Now some might say that this is just owner speak. But that some has not been paying attention to Bob McNair for the past 11 years. He says stuff like this because he believes stuff like this.

So get out your placards and get ready to march on Kirby. It won't make a difference, of course, but you can at least have the satisfaction that you did...."something".

HOU-TEX
10-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Now some might say that this is just owner speak. But that some has not been paying attention to Bob McNair for the past 11 years. He says stuff like this because he believes stuff like this.

So get out your placards and get ready to march on Kirby. It won't make a difference, of course, but you can at least have the satisfaction that you did...."something".

Yup, which is why I've been saying we're stuck like chuck for at least another year. Status quo, man, status quo

Quite depressing, to say the least

Thorn
10-22-2013, 03:15 PM
At least McNair is a nice lovable dumbass, not like the evil dumbass we used to have.

Double Barrel
10-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Yup, which is why I've been saying we're stuck like chuck for at least another year. Status quo, man, status quo

Quite depressing, to say the least

Exactly. We have to know our limits and not expect things that are unrealistic.

McNair, to his credit, probably thinks he has the eternal goodwill of the city for bringing pro football back to Houston.

And if he ever listened to fans, it would have been at the beginning and understood that he just had to be the anti-Bud.

Seen through that prism, it all makes sense.

And if he did listen to fans, I still think we would all be moaning about how far back the VY pick left this franchise.

Infinite patience, man. That is what is required to be a Texans fan. Otherwise, a fan could drive himself crazy every season.

At least McNair is a nice lovable dumbass, not like the evil dumbass we used to have.

yep! If you put yourself in the patent-pending "Bob McNair Reality Bubble", you quickly realize that Kubiak is a long-term project.

McNair has stated that he admires Tom Landry, who did not have a winning season for five years. McNair admires the Steelers, who stay loyal to coaches (not necessarily realizing that the loyalty was born from championships, but whatever).

McNair sees a good time at his games. Nevermind the fact that it's all scripted, it is still a party! And look at that parking lot! So many people gettin' down and tailgating. This is more than just a game. It's an EVENT!! And fun for the whole family!

He's not Bud Adams, which is obviously a good thing. But, not to defend the recently departed, we never questioned Bud's desire to win a championship. His methods were maddening, but his desire was in the right place.

And while I have no doubt that McNair wants to win a championship, what is evident is that the fans are starting to question his methods, as well.

But, like Bud, McNair will not cave to fan desires.

Say Watt
10-22-2013, 03:36 PM
After Kubiak's comments about still evaluating his quarterbacks and that Matt is the starter but was injured, I am now for the FIRST time in the history of my time on Texans Talk am donning the pink (in this case blue) fire Kubiak soap.

Screw the idiot. He has absolutely no clue how to manage a football team.

Thorn
10-22-2013, 03:39 PM
After Kubiak's comments about still evaluating his quarterbacks and that Matt is the starter but was injured, I am now for the FIRST time in the history of my time on Texans Talk am donning the pink (in this case blue) fire Kubiak soap.

Screw the idiot. He has absolutely no clue how to manage a football team.

Welcome to the dark side.

Or in your case, the blue side.

Say Watt
10-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Exactly. We have to know our limits and not expect things that are unrealistic.

McNair, to his credit, probably thinks he has the eternal goodwill of the city for bringing pro football back to Houston.

And if he ever listened to fans, it would have been at the beginning and understood that he just had to be the anti-Bud.

Seen through that prism, it all makes sense.

And if he did listen to fans, I still think we would all be moaning about how far back the VY pick left this franchise.

Infinite patience, man. That is what is required to be a Texans fan. Otherwise, a fan could drive himself crazy every season.

yep! If you put yourself in the patent-pending "Bob McNair Reality Bubble", you quickly realize that Kubiak is a long-term project.

McNair has stated that he admires Tom Landry, who did not have a winning season for five years. McNair admires the Steelers, who stay loyal to coaches (not necessarily realizing that the loyalty was born from championships, but whatever).

McNair sees a good time at his games. Nevermind the fact that it's all scripted, it is still a party! And look at that parking lot! So many people gettin' down and tailgating. This is more than just a game. It's an EVENT!! And fun for the whole family!

He's not Bud Adams, which is obviously a good thing. But, not to defend the recently departed, we never questioned Bud's desire to win a championship. His methods were maddening, but his desire was in the right place.

And while I have no doubt that McNair wants to win a championship, what is evident is that the fans are starting to question his methods, as well.

But, like Bud, McNair will not cave to fan desires.

Great post, DB. Bob McNair is certainly first on the list as deserving of blame in this whole situation. But sadly, we can't do anything about Bob McNair so we have to move on down the hierarchy to the people we can get rid of. So that leaves Kubiak, his coaches, and Rick Smith.

Personally, I think Rick Smith has done an ok job as GM but even still, our team is lackluster as far as depth is concerned. We find ourselves in cap hell, and his second and third rounders have been pretty much garbage during his tenure. I know there have been a couple hits in those rounds but overall, our stars are either late round picks, undrafted, or first rounders. We simply aren't finding the talent in the middle rounds of the draft, and that is unacceptable.

If Kubiak stays after this season though, I might be looking for a new team to root for. I have to unhitch myself from this wagon and quit going through the emotional roller coaster that is being a Houston Texans fan.

texanhead08
10-22-2013, 03:42 PM
I could deal with all the secrets if we were winning championships, but they act like telling something as simple as who is starting the next game is going to equal an automatic loss.

cstyle42
10-22-2013, 03:52 PM
I could deal with all the secrets if we were winning championships, but they act like telling something as simple as who is starting the next game is going to equal an automatic loss.

That's because Kubiak plays not to lose...good and great coaches just play to win. It's that simple with Kubiak he is a flat out loser.

Dutchrudder
10-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Kubiak is 61-58 as head coach of the Texans. If we go 3-6 to finish out the year, he will be 64-64, which seems fitting for his tenure here. Average is as average does.

Double Barrel
10-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Kubiak is 61-58 as head coach of the Texans. If we go 3-6 to finish out the year, he will be 64-64, which seems fitting for his tenure here. Average is as average does.

wow....man, how appropriate would that be?!...

:kubepalm: and 3-6 is not unrealistic!

ObsiWan
10-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Who watches the games on TV? It always comes back to the fans.
But because one team sucks do you think the NFL will fold? Naaah... the big mkt East Coast teams and some of the vintage teams (Vikes, Bears,
Cowboys, Pack, even the Browns, etc.) will keep the TV revenues huge and that's where they make their money.

Trust me, if all of Houston stopped going to the games and every game had to be blacked out because no one came, McNair could cash in at the end of that year and this franchise would probably head out west. Or maybe they'd be moved to Europe and be renamed the "Londoners"...

NFL wouldn't miss a beat.

toronto
10-22-2013, 07:52 PM
But because one team sucks do you think the NFL will fold? Naaah... the big mkt East Coast teams and some of the vintage teams (Vikes, Bears,
Cowboys, Pack, even the Browns, etc.) will keep the TV revenues huge and that's where they make their money.

Trust me, if all of Houston stopped going to the games and every game had to be blacked out because no one came, McNair could cash in at the end of that year and this franchise would probably head out west. Or maybe they'd be moved to Europe and be renamed the "Londoners"...

Think about what the Bills reap just to farm out a home game a season. Trust me, the appetite to buy a NFL franchise is massive and there are deep enough pockets and governments that would love to snag a team.

Lord Bills
10-22-2013, 08:10 PM
requirements for any new coach:

-the ability to install no huddle offense

-the ability to let your QB freely audible

houstonspartan
10-22-2013, 10:02 PM

Nonsense.

You truly think that if Houston, one of the wealthiest cities in the United States, were to lose its NFL team, the other NFL teams wouldn't feel it?

You are crazy, my friend.

The NFL will never, EVER, let Houston lose the NFL again.

nero THE zero
10-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Looks like Gruden is unofficially an option (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2238371#post2238371).

I'd be 100% happy going with him if we went the retread route.

Nawzer
10-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Gary Kubiak has got to go. Just thought I'd get that out there.

Carr Bombed
10-27-2013, 10:52 AM

:toropalm: first time I saw this quote.. I just threw up a little.

However the fan's don't need to do anything, they've done all they can do... this delusional owner needs to do "something".

TejasTom
10-27-2013, 10:24 PM
If Bob decides to fire Kubiak, he will scour the earth looking for someone that will take the job on the condition they have to keep Joe Marciano.

awc713
10-28-2013, 10:23 PM
If you could have any HC on the market, who would you choose and why?

Hypothetically speaking, who would your ideal HC be?

Wade? Strong from Louisville? Any college coach? Some friends of mine have suggested Gruden, but he always looks delusional on TV

I would personally like to see us go Bill Cowher...

dalemurphy
10-28-2013, 10:39 PM
If you could have any HC on the market, who would you choose and why?

Hypothetically speaking, who would your ideal HC be?

Wade? Strong from Louisville? Any college coach? Some friends of mine have suggested Gruden, but he always looks delusional on TV

I would personally like to see us go Bill Cowher...

I like cowher. However, he is not a coordinator and has been away from the league for a while. So, the question to answer is: what will his staff look like? Who runs the offense? The defense? He can't poach guys from other teams unless he is promoting them... Who could he get? And can a quality staff be quickly built? Otherwise, we are looking at intense frustration until he cycles through coaches and finds the right guys... A process that could easily take 3 or 4 years... If not more.

dalemurphy
10-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Looks like Gruden is unofficially an option (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2238371#post2238371).

I'd be 100% happy going with him if we went the retread route.

Ummm.. No! We don't need an egocentric celebrity. He is done as a nfl coach.

Marcus
10-29-2013, 12:05 AM
To the dipsh!t who renamed the thread title . . . WTF is a "REPLARCEMENT"?

:clap:

steelbtexan
10-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Ummm.. No! We don't need an egocentric celebrity. He is done as a nfl coach.

Give me Jay Gruden.

Think of a more motivated Chucky, He can keep the basic structure of the WC offense. But will have more guts than Gary ever has had. I garuntee you that if Jay Gruden was the Texans HC that Coach Joe would've been fired a long time ago.

VTexan
10-29-2013, 01:00 AM
keep wade on board as d-coord and go grab kevin sumlin if keenum turns out to be half decent. if not hell, go draft johnny football and lets at least make this entertaining.

houstonspartan
10-29-2013, 09:43 AM
to the dipsh!t who renamed the thread title . . . Wtf is a "replarcement"?

:clap:

lmao!

Hervoyel
10-29-2013, 10:31 AM
If Bob decides to fire Kubiak, he will scour the earth looking for someone that will take the job on the condition they have to keep Joe Marciano.

You overlook the frightening possibility that he decides Joe is ready for more responsibility.......

Damn! I just scared myself with that thought!

False Start
10-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Need to get these bumper stickers made up, and hand them out at the next Texans game. Also, could be used as a sig. :cool:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/ANYONYBUTKUBIAK22.jpg

thunderkyss
10-29-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm anticipating getting back on the Kubiak bandwagon.

If Case is as good as we hope, we might be able to put that "guru" moniker back on Kubiak.

TejasTom
10-29-2013, 02:01 PM
You overlook the frightening possibility that he decides Joe is ready for more responsibility.......

Damn! I just scared myself with that thought!

Harbaugh was a special team coach... you may have solved all our problems.

Exascor
10-29-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm anticipating getting back on the Kubiak bandwagon.

If Case is as good as we hope, we might be able to put that "guru" moniker back on Kubiak.

I wouldn't be surprised if I back off my "fire everyone" stance either. I'd need to see improvements everywhere though. I'd need to see some serious potential from the offense and versatility (zone!) from the defense. Both would require two seemingly stubborn men to change their systems.

Scooter
10-30-2013, 04:36 AM
as others have stated, i believe kubiak's job is tied to keenum. if keenum does well, mcnair will almost have to keep kubiak to see how far we can take it, which i believe is the right call. if keenum flops, kubiak may be out with him ... which i cant argue with considering our QB play so far this year. if keenum hints at greatness though, you cant take the system away from him - keenum was built for this walsh-zone blocking-WCO.

my opinion on kubiak is well known, i'm a supporter. my feelings towards wade are exactly the same. these are the two men who i believe will lead us to multiple superbowls. what they're missing is a more heavy oversight regarding assistant coaching. they both draft well (usually), have great schemes, are among the best of teachers, and get complete effort from the players. what they lack is a higher up to make the ugly calls, and an assistant to challenge the established setting.

jay gruden's been mentioned ... i would absolutely love him as a coordinator. heck, i'd bring john back as a coordinator. the problem on offense isnt kubiak, it's that it seems to ONLY be kubiak - the same situation that got shanahan fired from denver. you cant have one man calling every shot, it cant work. wade similarly seems to have too much 'control'. i started to use the word freedom, but that would be the ideal - a more free approach within the system instead of a confined setting. our schemes most definitely can be described as boxes. we dont need someone thinking outside of it, we just need a couple guys who are willing to round it out and poke the edges a little bit.

i think keenum is about to remind us why we hired kubiak though. kubiak and wade seem to have caught the dom capers disease - we're struggling, dumb it down and play cautious and keep it close. this is i believe why wade's defenses have a tendency to regress, he perfects and cleans instead of finding new edges. keenum is a license to "let 'er rip" that we havent seen in quite a while.

edit: i'm so repetitive when i drink

houstonspartan
10-30-2013, 11:51 AM
as others have stated, i believe kubiak's job is tied to keenum. if keenum does well, mcnair will almost have to keep kubiak to see how far we can take it, which i believe is the right call. if keenum flops, kubiak may be out with him ... which i cant argue with considering our QB play so far this year. if keenum hints at greatness though, you cant take the system away from him - keenum was built for this walsh-zone blocking-WCO.

my opinion on kubiak is well known, i'm a supporter. my feelings towards wade are exactly the same. these are the two men who i believe will lead us to multiple superbowls. what they're missing is a more heavy oversight regarding assistant coaching. they both draft well (usually), have great schemes, are among the best of teachers, and get complete effort from the players. what they lack is a higher up to make the ugly calls, and an assistant to challenge the established setting.

jay gruden's been mentioned ... i would absolutely love him as a coordinator. heck, i'd bring john back as a coordinator. the problem on offense isnt kubiak, it's that it seems to ONLY be kubiak - the same situation that got shanahan fired from denver. you cant have one man calling every shot, it cant work. wade similarly seems to have too much 'control'. i started to use the word freedom, but that would be the ideal - a more free approach within the system instead of a confined setting. our schemes most definitely can be described as boxes. we dont need someone thinking outside of it, we just need a couple guys who are willing to round it out and poke the edges a little bit.

i think keenum is about to remind us why we hired kubiak though. kubiak and wade seem to have caught the dom capers disease - we're struggling, dumb it down and play cautious and keep it close. this is i believe why wade's defenses have a tendency to regress, he perfects and cleans instead of finding new edges. keenum is a license to "let 'er rip" that we havent seen in quite a while.

edit: i'm so repetitive when i drink

Sorry, but, I call nonsense on all of this.

It's Kubiak's job to evaluate assistants. What we have seen is Kubiak toss a zillion defensive and offensive coordinators under the bus to save his own hide. Yet, the Special Teams coach remains (and, is given an assistant!!)

Also, 8 years is more than enough time to judge a head coach.

Multiple Super Bowls? We haven't even gotten to ONE AFC Championship game! After. 8. Years.

Even "if" Keenum is the answer, it's time to let another head coach take over this team.

ChampionTexan
10-30-2013, 12:09 PM
What we have seen is Kubiak toss a zillion defensive and offensive coordinators under the bus to save his own hide.

Name one OC that Kubiak's thrown under the bus to save his own hide.

Exascor
10-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Name one OC that Kubiak's thrown under the bus to save his own hide.

One step further - name one DC that didn't deserve his place under the bus.

Thorn
10-30-2013, 12:53 PM
One step further - name one DC that didn't deserve his place under the bus.

:spit:

Exactly.

Runner
11-04-2013, 09:34 AM
I pulled this quote out of the Kubiak Collapses thread to continue the discussion without derailing that thread.

Are you kidding me? He never even pulled Schaub. Schaub was forced to go out due to injury. His stubborness is what put the team in the hole and even had Yates out there for a wasted game against the Rams where the team gave up on him. His stubbornness is why Keenum was 3rd string instead of first string in the first place. Keenum only got in there by accident. Lol! A guy having a collapse doesn't change history and what has taken place this season or last season.

This is about the way I see it. Kubiak deserves credit for having/keeping Keenum on the roster. That is offset by his inability to either:
A) identify that Schaub was not even close to being the best QB on the roster this year.
B) take the appropriate action to put the best QB on the field of he did know Schaub wasn't his best option.

I don't know what makes Kubiak this "quarterback guru". If it his ability to teach a QB his offense and get the most out f him, I might be able to see it. I don't think his guru-ness extends to identifying talent though.

infantrycak
11-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Schaub was benched during the Rams game.

Schaub has since not started despite being ready to do so.

Kubiak did promote Keenum to starter over Yates. Whether Keenum was listed as 3rd is unimportant since he got the start.

Not sure of the need some have to revise that.

Runner
11-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Kubiak did promote Keenum to starter over Yates. Whether Keenum was listed as 3rd is unimportant since he got the start.

Not sure of the need some have to revise that.

I don't think I'm revising history. I think that Kubiak had enough evidence that Schaub wasn't getting the job done well before the Rams game. I understand it is very dangerous to juggle quarterbacks during a season, but it was clear Schaub did not have NFL velocity on his throws anymore. I don't know if Kubiak would have made the change without the additional impetuous of Schaub's ankle injury, but I think that did help him to decide it was time for a change when he finally pulled the trigger. The problem is the Texans were quickly dropping out of contention waiting for the change to be made.

For the record, I've never been a Schaub basher. I thought he was a good to very good quarterback for this system most of his years here. At some point everyone drops below the level required to play in the NFL though, and Schaub has fallen below that threshold except for occasional flashes.

Seegara
11-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Let me start by saying I hope Kubiak will be all right. He isn't a great coach but winning isn't everything. I'd rather he is healthy than for the Texans to win the Super Bowl.

That said, we must face the reality of perhaps needing a new head coach. If so, never mind interim coaches, whom do you want as permanent HC? There are too many possibilities to put them all in a poll, so I'm grouping them in categories. Voters can get specific in posts if they want to.

My choice just might be Alabama's Saban.

bOODRO87
11-04-2013, 10:45 AM
What was it? 8 years and 61-58 (59 now).

I wish him well and everything. It just didn't work out. Time for something new.

djohn2oo8
11-09-2013, 08:44 AM
I would like to see Kubiak back for one more year with a full season with Keenum, if he is up to it. By just looking at the last game in the first half, how often did we open it up like that with Schaub? I also think Rick Smith should be close to gone with his moves that led to Briesel, Winston, Quin walking, and the Reed signing.

Lucky
11-10-2013, 09:32 AM
I would like to see Kubiak back for one more year with a full season with Keenum, if he is up to it.
I can't see McNair firing Kubiak after the illness. But, I don't want to see Kubiak given an extension. The problem with that is the assistants don't have security and it would be difficult attracting a top assistant if their was an opening (hint, Joe Marciano). I also don't think the HC job is as attractive to a prospective head coach as the Texans were coming off the 2010 season. I'm resigned to Kubiak returning in 2014.

Lucky
11-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Schaub was benched in the Niners game, then knocked out of the Rams game the following week.

I'm not putting all of the Texans early offensive woes on Matt Schaub. The RT position was a mess and Duane Brown was not performing at an All Pro level. But Matt's immobility, lack of velocity, and poor decision making made it impossible for this team to win. That they haven't won in 2 games with Schaub on the bench indicates that Kubiak was right. It's not just the QB, the Texans have a lot of problems. The good news is that they are in the process of solving one of them.

amazing80
11-11-2013, 06:10 AM
well we might as well get our wish list going.

head coach?
oc?
dc?
st?
gm?

who are some good candidates?

bckey
11-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Lovie Smith CURRENTLY: Unemployed (fired by Chicago after 2012).

ACHIEVEMENTS
Led Bears to Super Bowl XLI.

81-63 record with Bears in nine seasons (four seasons Top 5 in defense).

Only finished worse than 7-9 once in nine seasons.

Smith is choosing to go off the grid for 2013, rather than be a coordinator somewhere. He knows his phone will be ringing around New Year's with at least a couple head coaching offers. May as well enjoy a year's vacation.

Ray Horton CURRENTLY: Defensive coordinator, Cleveland (hired 2013).

ACHIEVEMENTS
Coached a Cardinals' defense that had 80 sacks and 32 interceptions over past two seasons.

Seventeen years of coaching secondaries, including three Super Bowl years in Pittsburgh (and three years with least points allowed).

Horton's calls for aggression and disruption were a lone highlight of Arizona's 2012 season.

A former NFL cornerback of ten years, Horton appreciates versatility in players (blitzing secondary, linemen covering the flat, etc), and has mentored some of the best.

These 2 need no introduction around these boards

Bill Cower

John Gruden

I didn't list college coaches but there are some potential good ones out there. It is always a crap shoot when you hire one though that has never coached in the nfl.

bckey
11-11-2013, 06:48 AM
My number 1 GM prospect would be:

Eric DeCosta Ozzie Newsome's long time protege

fiasco west
11-11-2013, 07:05 AM
HC Mike Zimmer.

He's blunt, screamer, people always ask for accountability and he seems to be that guy. He also has a history of taking players that have had issues off the field and turn them around which tells me he's a good teacher. I wouldn't be upset about it.

No head coaching experience, but his defenses are well known.

amazing80
11-11-2013, 07:21 AM
HC Mike Zimmer.

He's blunt, screamer, people always ask for accountability and he seems to be that guy. He also has a history of taking players that have had issues off the field and turn them around which tells me he's a good teacher. I wouldn't be upset about it.

yup zimmer is on my short list. im intrigued by hue jackson and david shaw too. i will get a list together later today

2slik4u
11-11-2013, 07:36 AM
HC Mike Zimmer.

This guy. Zimmer is the man. I think he could take our defense to the next level as well.

Insideop
11-11-2013, 07:53 AM
HC Mike Zimmer.

So, you want a coordinator with no head coaching experience. Haven't we gone down that road before? :spin:

Texian
11-11-2013, 09:01 AM
My number 1 GM prospect would be:

Eric DeCosta Ozzie Newsome's long time protege

BINGO! Has been brought up in the Ravens organization for last 17 years and under Ozzie's wing.

Head Coaches

1. David Shaw - Father was an NFL coach, David coached in the NFL for 9 years. His Stanford teams are well prepared in all phases of the game.

2. Jimbo Fisher - Has an heir of Jimmy Johnson about him. His teams also are very well prepared in all phases of the game.

Others - Darrell Barrell, Dan Quinn, Sean McDermott

Zimmer Red Flag, has been on numerous interviews to be a HC without success. He must not interview well.

Gruden Red Flag: Players excoriated him after he was fired. Liar, Dishonest

Hervoyel
11-11-2013, 09:18 AM
I used to not be interested in Gruden but I've had a bit of a change of heart. I would not be upset with a Gruden hire. I'd just be really interested in who/how he'd bring in to address the defense.

Hypothetical situation. If Gruden were hired to coach the Texans next year (set aside your dislike of that if you're against it. Just bear with me here....) Who would you want to see him bring in as his DC?

Uncle Rico
11-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Art Briles if looking at college coaches, Tony Dungee if looking for experience.

MistaRed
11-11-2013, 09:29 AM
David Shaw is my number one choice if we dip into the college ranks.

Exascor
11-11-2013, 09:44 AM
The candidates for all the coaching positions are incomplete right now. Too many what ifs. What if Tom Coughlin is fired? How high up the list would he be for head coach? Rex Ryan for DC?

This is still fun to do though. Nothing left for the season. I want a head coach with head coaching experience - college or pro. I want a head coach that is just a head coach and not a coordinator too. I want a head coach that hires versatile coordinators that can modify their systems to their personnel like Mike McCoy. Mostly, I want a head coach that makes the other team say "we were outcoached" after the game.

Seegara
11-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Bill Cowher for DC.

Yesterday
11-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Clear a couple things up first:

Shaw won't be leaving Stanford.
Lovie Smith is not a good coach
Gruden isn't leaving MNF

Now, some other prospects mentioned:

Tony Dungy may be the most overrated coach in NFL history (Anyone could have done what he did with Peyton. In fact, a really good coach would have won many more titles). Just see what Jim Caldwell did with Peyton (14-2) and without.

Rex Ryan isn't getting fired by the Jets - he has done a phenomenal job this year. He's weird, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Yesterday
11-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Honestly? My ideal scenario would be this:

New HC - Make a John Harbaugh style hire (Harbs was a ST coordinator, everyone called Ravens crazy, now look at him). God knows we need more emphasis on Special teams.

Keep Wade - Defense has been fine. Offense has been putting them in a horrible spot, not to mention injuries.

New OC - Im not totally opposed to keeping Kubiak as OC (altho i don't think he would accept that). Perhaps if his health issues force him to coach from the booth, it would be a seamless transition. The gap in play calling between Rick Dennison and Kubiak is apparent. And Gary has always been a good offensive mind - he struggles as a head coach, however.

Texecutioner
11-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Really surprised that no one is mentioning LOVE SMITH. Especially with all of these Kubiak fans who love a "nice guy." Lovie was the definition of a coach who did more with less in my opinion in his time in Chicago. He dealt with tons of injury plagued teams, but when they were healthy Lovie usually had them playing well as a collective group. Hell, the guy got this team to a SB with Rex Grossman at the helm. When they finally got Cutler he gets them back to a NFC championship game where they almost made it to the SB. Here is an experienced coach out there right now that has a lot of post season experience and has proven he can make things work. I think that Lovie Smith is going to go somewhere and have more success the same way that John Fox has. I'd love for it to be the Texans.

Uncle Rico
11-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Lovie Smith is not a good coach
Gruden isn't leaving MNF

Now, some other prospects mentioned:

Tony Dungey may be the most overrated coach in NFL history (Anyone could have done what he did with Peyton. In fact, a really good coach would have won many more titles). Just see what Jim Caldwell did with Peyton (14-2) and without.

Rex Ryan isn't getting fired by the Jets - he has done a phenomenal job this year. He's weird, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.

What about the team Dungy left in Tampa? Gruden takes all the credit, but Dungy assembled.that team.

Redcat
11-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Honestly? My ideal scenario would be this:

New HC - Make a John Harbaugh style hire (Harbs was a ST coordinator, everyone called Ravens crazy, now look at him). God knows we need more emphasis on Special teams.

Keep Wade - Defense has been fine. Offense has been putting them in a horrible spot, not to mention injuries.

New OC - Im not totally opposed to keeping Kubiak as OC (altho i don't think he would accept that). Perhaps if his health issues force him to coach from the booth, it would be a seamless transition. The gap in play calling between Rick Dennison and Kubiak is apparent. And Gary has always been a good offensive mind - he struggles as a head coach, however.

Dave Toub, ST coach with KC. This guy is going to be another Harbaugh.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/8/25/4656058/dave-toub-kansas-city-chiefs-special-teams-highlights

Yesterday
11-11-2013, 10:27 AM
What about the team Dungy left in Tampa? Gruden takes all the credit, but Dungy assembled.that team.

Dungy wasn't the GM. Rich McKay was. The Bucs realized that they needed to get over the hump - so they brought Gruden in.

Peyton made up for Dungy's porous defense (that's supposed to be his specialty, right?) for years in Indy. With an average QB, Dungy would be just another guy.

Yesterday
11-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Dave Toub, ST coach with KC. This guy is going to be another Harbaugh.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/8/25/4656058/dave-toub-kansas-city-chiefs-special-teams-highlights

I like it.

Texian
11-11-2013, 10:42 AM

I'll believe that Shaw isn't leaving Stanford when he says, "No I don't want your $7 million a year to be your Head Coach"

A new HC has to have the autonomy to hire who he wants for his coaching staff.

Kaiser Toro
11-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Test

Runner
11-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Can just the mods see it?

Double Barrel
11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
I can see it, too. :um:

Vinny
11-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Please continue here: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102936