PDA

View Full Version : Sage Demoted to 3rd String

m5kwatts
09-12-2009, 03:08 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/12/report-tarvaris-to-backup-favre-sunday/

Saturday is usually the quietest day of the NFL news week. Game preparations are mostly done, and the league takes a quick breather before the insanity on Sundays.

That little preamble will serve as a warning that this post may have the most exciting breaking news of the day: The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Tarvaris Jackson will get the call Sunday as Brett Favre's primary backup over Sage Rosenfels.

The decision supports those around the Vikings that have said all along that Brad Childress has a soft spot for "his guy" and that T-Jack would have wound up the starter if Favre didn't decide to show up.

Childress says that the backup designation could change on a week-to-week basis, but you wonder if that is just a way to keep Jackson and Rosenfels mentally sharp and fighting a battle that was expected to carry more importance.

Of course, it will matter plenty if Favre isn't able to play 16 games for the first time in 17 seasons.

Wow I really feel sorry for Sage. He went from probable starter to competing with Tarvaris to losing any starting chance to Favre to losing a backup QB battle and now he's 3rd string!? I don't think the Texans regret getting Anthony Hill for him and after the Rosencopter game it was probably best to sever ties at season's end... still is he better than Rex?

Double Barrel
09-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I think Sage is better than Rex. Interesting that he's been demoted to third string, though.

kastofsna
09-12-2009, 05:42 PM
wow i had no idea you guys had rex grossman. i havent been following football much this offseason apparently...

DexmanC
09-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Sage is a better "game manager" type quarterback than Rex. However,
Kubiak's system requires a QB with some DOWNFIELD game. Sage does
not have any accuracy on his throws longer than 20 yards. I think he'd
be an excellent quarterback in a pure dink-and-dunk system. Thank God
we don't run that here in Houston.

Goldensilence
09-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Kind of hard to call Sage Rosenfels a better QB then Rex Grossman IMO. I'd call Rex Sage with an arm, they both like to play like gunslingers. Problem is only one has the arm to do it.

Sage Rosenfel's best game couldn't touch a good Rex Grossman game.

thunderkyss
09-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I think Sage is better than Rex. Interesting that he's been demoted to third string, though.

I'm a Sage fan..... but I'm more surprised they kept Rosenfels.. Did they cut Booty? Hope he clears waivers?

The Pencil Neck
09-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm a Sage fan..... but I'm more surprised they kept Rosenfels.. Did they cut Booty? Hope he clears waivers?

Yeah, he's on their practice squad.

Thorn
09-12-2009, 10:52 PM
wow i had no idea you guys had rex grossman. i havent been following football much this offseason apparently...

Grossemout is quite the passer in pre-season. A few nice throws and we love him. It remains to be seen if he can do it in a real game though, but he did make a couple of very nice passes.

Fred
09-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Grossemout is quite the passer in pre-season. A few nice throws and we love him. It remains to be seen if he can do it in a real game though, but he did make a couple of very nice passes.

He was the starting QB on a team that went to the SuperBowl. Must of been a great preseason.

Boris
09-13-2009, 07:54 AM
so was David Woodley (rip).

steelbtexan
09-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Kind of hard to call Sage Rosenfels a better QB then Rex Grossman IMO. I'd call Rex Sage with an arm, they both like to play like gunslingers. Problem is only one has the arm to do it.

Sage Rosenfel's best game couldn't touch a good Rex Grossman game.

Agreed

Great Qb's have the ability to have a bad game for 3 qtrs and then find IT and pull out a win in the 4th qtr.

Rex and Sage neither have this quality.

Rex has the ability to get hot for 3-4 games at a time.

Sage has yet to prove he can do this. Both are inaccurate turnover machines when they are on cold streaks.

I would rather have Rex if given the choice between the two. Rex has playoff experience and a better arm.

What is exciting about getting Rex is that Kubes can give him the QB coaching that he hasn't gotten so far in his career.

Rex has alot of untapped potential. IMO

Getting ready to go to the game.

I'm PUMPED

Fox
09-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm a big fan of Sage, tough break for him right now as he probably had thoughts of starting a full season when he went there. One of the best backup QB's in the league IMO.

kastofsna
09-13-2009, 05:20 PM
yeah Rosenfels is pretty much your prototypical backup QB. he'll give you a few quarters when ya need it, but once he's in for the long run and teams starting seeing him on a regular basis, he's done. but, that's his role.