PDA

View Full Version : Beware the Curse of Madden

Wolf
09-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Sports curses (aside from the one that looms over the Chicago Cubs) aren't real. But try telling that to the football players who have graced the cover of John Madden's videogame only to suffer injuries shortly thereafter.

Troy Polamalu is the latest star to experience the so-called "Madden curse." The all-pro safety for the Pittsburgh Steelers sprained his medial collateral ligament during Thursday night's game against the Tennessee Titans.

Sports Illustrated reports that Polamalu could be out anywhere from three to six weeks. Not as bad as initially feared, but still rough enough to inspire a lot of lookups on "madden curse."

Indeed, almost immediately after Polumalu left the field, folks at home began dialing up searches on past victims of the Madden curse. The list is long but distinguished. And while there are a few holes (Favre escaped '09 without injury), we imagine that Larry Fitzgerald, who shared the 2010 cover honors with Polamalu, might think twice about running over the middle this Sunday...

* 2010: Troy Polalmalu -- injured for three to six weeks.
* 2009: Brett Favre -- no injury, but as Yahoo! Sports points out, he did "become insufferable."
* 2008: Vince Young -- injured one game and played poorly.
* 2007: Shaun Alexander -- injured for six games due to broken foot.
* 2006: Donovan McNabb -- injured for seven games.
* 2005: Ray Lewis -- missed one game.
* 2004: Michael Vick -- injured for 11 games due to broken leg.
* 2003: Marshall Faulk -- out for six games.
* 2002: Daunte Culpepper -- missed five games.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/beware-the-curse-of-madden/1353249

snopes edition of the Madden Curse
http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/maddencurse.asp

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/beware-the-curse-of-madden/1353249

snopes edition of the Madden Curse
http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/maddencurse.asp

I'd have to say that the curse found Favre. He tore his biceps and rotator with a resultant embarassing end of the Jets season. The Jets finished 1-4 down the stretch and Favre threw nine interceptions and just two touchdowns over the final five games. I'd say the curse hit tradition.

And Ray Lewis..........his turnovers dropped from 8 the previous year to 1 that season.

Hervoyel
09-11-2009, 10:49 PM
I'd have to say that the curse found Favre. He tore his biceps and rotator with a resultant embarassing end of the Jets season. The Jets finished 1-4 down the stretch and Favre threw nine interceptions and just two touchdowns over the final five games. I'd say the curse hit tradition.

And Ray Lewis..........his turnovers dropped from 8 the previous year to 1 that season.

Agreed. The curse just opted to play it subtle and avoid contributing to the Favre circus.

I for one appreciate the gesture and think that was damned considerate of the Madden Curse.

kastofsna
09-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Favre almost single-handedly kept the Jets out of the playoffs, so yeah the curse hit him big time

SteveSlaton20
09-11-2009, 11:17 PM
next larry fitz? :(

i like both of them, don't want either of them to get hurt. :/

Double Barrel
09-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I've read before that quite a few players have turned down the chance for a Madden cover because of the curse. I'm not superstitious, but I wouldn't do it, either.

MeLoveTexans
09-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Favre almost single-handedly kept the Jets out of the playoffs, so yeah the curse hit him big time

Not to mention he did suffer an injury. The bicep tear that will now cost the Jets a hefty fine for ignoring it and not putting it on the weekly injury report. The jets are still affected by the curse in that way.

jerek
09-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Not to mention that about half of that list's careers were *over* after they suffered the Madden curse.

I'm not superstitious either, but it does make ya wonder ...

GuerillaBlack
09-12-2009, 02:30 PM
If Larry Fitz is on your fantasy team, trade him ASAP!!

The Madden Curse is real folks.

m5kwatts
09-12-2009, 03:06 PM
It lives on!

GuerillaBlack
09-12-2009, 04:20 PM
It lives on!

http://i40.tinypic.com/jh52io.gif

Wolf
11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
thinking about this.. how long is troy out again?

Wolf
12-08-2009, 07:04 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP)—With the Pittsburgh Steelers fast running out of games and his left knee still not healed, star safety Troy Polamalu(notes) isn’t certain if he will be back this season.

Polamalu is hopeful of playing again, but he said Tuesday there is no definitive date for his return.

Polamalu’s latest injury, to his posterior cruciate ligament, was initially expected to be less severe than the anterior cruciate ligament injury that kept him out of the Steelers’ second through fifth games. But he won’t play Thursday night in Cleveland, the fourth consecutive game he’s missed with his latest injury.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlijNWVCb9WvE.MHrAgxVxJDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-polamalu&prov=ap&type=lgns

Imatexanfan
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Thats sad he is truly a great player and I don't give others credit, outta Polamalu and AJ thats the best :fans:

Carr Bombed
12-08-2009, 08:19 PM
What about Larry Fitz, nothing has happened to him yet? He's having a great year.

Carr Bombed
12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
What about Larry Fitz, nothing has happened to him yet? He's having a great year.

......and Larry Fitzgerald just limped off the field grabbing his right knee. :headhurts:

HoustonFrog
12-14-2009, 09:46 PM
......and Larry Fitzgerald just limped off the field grabbing his right knee. :headhurts:

Don't need that. He is one of my WRs of my #1 ranked fantasy team that had a bye this week. Wish it was literal and he could have rested

Khari
12-14-2009, 09:48 PM
this time it struck the entire cardinal team

HoustonFrog
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Fitz is back and playing.

Carr Bombed
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Good.

mexican_texan
12-15-2009, 12:45 AM
I heard he had terrible indegestion after the game.

Dread-Head
12-15-2009, 08:53 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/jh52io.gif

Andre Johnson leads this guy in every damned stat, but Fitz is treated like the best receiver in the NFL. Our defense needs to start bringing the pain so the Texans offense can gather some wins. GET A HAIRCUT FITZGERALD!!! Damned kids. No one wears dreadlocks anymore except rastafarians and weirdos. :clown: And he doen't show up at the meetings so he's NOT a weirdo!

kastofsna
12-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Andre Johnson leads this guy in every damned stat, but Fitz is treated like the best receiver in the NFL. Our defense needs to start bringing the pain so the Texans offense can gather some wins. GET A HAIRCUT FITZGERALD!!! Damned kids. No one wears dreadlocks anymore except rastafarians and weirdos. :clown: And he doen't show up at the meetings so he's NOT a weirdo!

maybe once the Texans win a meaningful game, people will give Johnson more credit.

LonerATO
12-15-2009, 10:01 AM
maybe once the Texans win a meaningful game, people will give Johnson more credit.

Naw you have to make an unreal playoff run to the SB to get the coverage he has.

Blazing Arrow
12-15-2009, 10:29 AM
I've read before that quite a few players have turned down the chance for a Madden cover because of the curse. I'm not superstitious, but I wouldn't do it, either.

The year Young got it LT turned it down. The curse still found him. It would be pretty interesting to see how many people turned it down and it still found them. No way Manning has not been offered it atleast once or twice.

kastofsna
12-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Manning isn't the kind of guy they'd want on the cover. they want young or new and exciting, more appealing to the teenage, college, or urban crowd. occasionally they'll do Favre, more as a nod to his career, which they assumed was over then.

so in other words, it'll be Chris Johnson next year.

Blazing Arrow
12-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Manning isn't the kind of guy they'd want on the cover. they want young or new and exciting, more appealing to the teenage, college, or urban crowd. occasionally they'll do Favre, more as a nod to his career, which they assumed was over then.

I doubt it. Probably Brees.

Hervoyel
12-15-2009, 03:34 PM

I wouldn't lose any sleep over that.

Ryan
12-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Hopefully it will be someone from the AFC South not on the Texans. WE need all the help we can get:fans:

brakos82
12-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Hopefully it will be someone from the AFC South not on the Texans. WE need all the help we can get:fans:

Manning or CJ. I think it's only been a non-QB/RB for Ray Lewis and then Poly and Fitz this year.

TheIronDuke
12-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Maybe they can put the Colts '09 team photo on the cover next year.

Either way, I think the real culprit for Polamalu was the dreaded Head n Shoulders curse, it's real.