PDA

View Full Version : "Hot Seat Meter": AFC Coaches

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-09-09/nfl-coaches-on-hot-seat-afc-edition) presents this evaluation of what AFC coaches should be looking over their shoulders, and which can probably delay looking for a good realtor.

AFC South

Gary Kubiak, Texans. The fans expect a first-ever postseason berth. The media expects a first-ever postseason berth. Most importantly, the owner expects a first-ever postseason berth. Absent that first-ever postseason berth, Kubiak could be done.
Hot seat setting: High.

Jim Caldwell, Colts. It's never easy to follow a legend. And there's a real sense of uncertainty and turmoil in Indianapolis. A disastrous season for a franchise that has long forgotten its losing ways could be enough to make Caldwell the next Ray Handley or Richie Petitbon. Still, with Peyton Manning around, it's unlikely that the Colts will fail.
Hot seat setting: Medium.

Jack Del Rio, Jaguars. That five-year extension Del Rio signed after an unexpectedly strong 2007 season saved him from getting fired after last year's collapse. With the team unable to sell tickets in 2009, he'll likely get another pass if the team stinks it up again.
Hot seat setting: Medium.

Jeff Fisher, Titans. Fisher has led the Titans since they were known as the Oilers and played in the Astrodome. But as each year passes without a Super Bowl win, there's a chance that owner Bud Adams will decide it's time for a change. Last year's 13-3 record followed by a one-and-out postseason could make Adams antsy if the team doesn't get closer to that Super Bowl title the team never has won.
Hot seat setting: Medium-low.

4Texans
09-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Unless the Texans have a absolute melt-down without a bunch of injuries, I just don't see McNair letting Kubiak go. He may go into his final year without a contract extension though.....

TimeKiller
09-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Unless the Texans have a absolute melt-down without a bunch of injuries, I just don't see McNair letting Kubiak go. He may go into his final year without a contract extension though.....

This is how I see it. I don't even think a third year of 8-8 will be the end of Kubiak, I just think that will make NEXT year the hotseat year.

Oh and if Bud lets Jeff Fisher go I'd be willing to bet he finds a job IMMEDIATELY.

Vinny
09-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Oh and if Bud lets Jeff Fisher go I'd be willing to bet he finds a job IMMEDIATELY. let me know who takes that bet, I may have a good investment opportunity for them as well.

Runner
09-10-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't think the writer understands how deliberate the Texans are in making coaching changes.

Double Barrel
09-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Obviously the writer did not get the benefit of reading Texans Talk's 100 page thread about this subject. :thinking:

Runner
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Obviously the writer did not get the benefit of reading Texans Talk's 100 page thread about this subject. :thinking:

True. He's acting like 8-8 is no better than average.

Texecutioner
09-10-2009, 12:59 PM
This is how I see it. I don't even think a third year of 8-8 will be the end of Kubiak, I just think that will make NEXT year the hotseat year.

Oh and if Bud lets Jeff Fisher go I'd be willing to bet he finds a job IMMEDIATELY.

If the Texans go 8-8 with this cake schedule, Kubes needs to go. 3 years of 8-8 is unacceptable.

Double Barrel
09-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Kubiak's road record must improve, because he's 2-6 every year that he's been HC.

I'd say that 9-7 or better is a job keeper. I'd probably assume that McNair would keep him with another 8-8 record...but honestly, who knows? We don't have the benefit of history to see how our owner thinks when it's in this gray area.

7-9 or worse...I'd be a bit shocked if Kubiak stayed on, all things considered.

True. He's acting like 8-8 is no better than average.

Geez, I know! He doesn't seem to understand that 8-8 is not a losing record.

infantrycak
09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
If the Texans go 8-8 with this cake schedule, Kubes needs to go. 3 years of 8-8 is unacceptable.

I don't know where people are getting the idea this is a cupcake schedule. The Texans have the 11th hardest strength of schedule - Link (http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp)

kastofsna
09-10-2009, 07:01 PM
I don't know where people are getting the idea this is a cupcake schedule. The Texans have the 11th hardest strength of schedule - Link (http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp)

ah, the dolphins at #1....looking forward to this season :gun:

thunderkyss
09-10-2009, 07:25 PM

I agree with this. What gets me about that "experts" opinion, is that he bases his assumption on the Texans getting a play-off berth.

Wasn't there a team that went 11-5 last year but didn't go to the play-offs.

thunderkyss
09-10-2009, 08:15 PM

Mainly because we play the 13-3 Titans, and the 12-4 Colts twice.

Outside of our division, only 4 out of the 10 games will be played against winning teams. That's six games against teams that finished less than 8-8.

Add two games against the Jags, who also finished less than 8-8, and that's 8 games.

Then there's the game against Miami..... who we think we own. Then the Jets & Arizona who we think we can beat.

that makes 11 games we think we can win.

For some reason, I don't know why, but we always think we can split with the Titans & Colts.

that's 13 games we think we can win.

13-3, losing to the Titans, Colts, and Patriots.

michaelm
09-10-2009, 08:34 PM

let me know who takes that bet, I may have a good investment opportunity for them as well.

LOL, there are probably ten or more teams not currently contemplating a coaching change that would fire their HC immediately if Fisher was available to them.