PDA

View Full Version : Horrible news for the Jets game!!

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 05:21 PM
The newly updated depth chart has Deljuan Robinson as the backup behind Okoye and has Cody starting at NT with Okam as his backup.

Against all reason and beyond comprehension, Deljuan Robinson has lost his battle to start at DT. Not only will our best run stuffing DT be watching Okoye and Cody from the bench against a run-dominate team, but I'm having a hard time resolving how this decision doesn't prove that our coaching staff doesn't know what it's looking at!

Kubiak clearly has no understanding of interior line play:
1. he thinks Casey Studdard should be starting
2. Deljuan sits on the bench in favor of guys like Okoye, Okam, Cody.

someone talk me off the cliff please!

swtbound07
09-09-2009, 05:23 PM
The newly updated depth chart has Deljuan Robinson as the backup behind Okoye and has Cody starting at NT with Okam as his backup.

Against all reason and beyond comprehension, Deljuan Robinson has lost his battle to start at DT. Not only will our best run stuffing DT be watching Okoye and Cody from the bench against a run-dominate team, but I'm having a hard time resolving how this decision doesn't prove that our coaching staff doesn't know what it's looking at!

Robinson is a good player, but he's not exactly a pro bowler.

eriadoc
09-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Since we have more line coaches than any other team in the NFL, you think Kubiak is the guy making these decisions? I understand that he's the guy on the hook when things don't work out, but I'm willing to bet Alex Gibbs had a great deal of say in where the OL guys are positioned, and I'd be willing to bet Kollar has a great deal of say in where the DL guys are. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I get the feeling that's the case.

Also, where did you hear that Kubiak thinks Studdard should be starting? Pitts is clearly the guy at that position. Unless you're referring to some motivational coachspeak I missed.

gtexan02
09-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Titles like this should be banned

Malloy
09-09-2009, 05:24 PM
JUMP! :)

Hm... Ill wait until after the game to pass judgement on his ability to get the best possible players on the field.

brakos82
09-09-2009, 05:25 PM

The Seawall works better.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Since we have more line coaches than any other team in the NFL, you think Kubiak is the guy making these decisions? I understand that he's the guy on the hook when things don't work out, but I'm willing to bet Alex Gibbs had a great deal of say in where the OL guys are positioned, and I'd be willing to bet Kollar has a great deal of say in where the DL guys are. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I get the feeling that's the case.

Granted, but it is Kubiak's opinion I hear when he raves about Studdard and he says that Robinson is in a battle with Okam. Give me a freakin' break on both counts! Besides, as a head coach, you don't allow your assistants to make assinine decisions that have a negative affect on the team. You would have to be a football novice not to realize that Studdard is a below par backup guard and that Robinson should be playing most of the game against a run dominate team.

MojoMan
09-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Also, where did you hear that Kubiak thinks Studdard should be starting? Pitts is clearly the guy at that position. Unless you're referring to some motivational coachspeak I missed.

Perhaps I am being too optimistic about this, but I keep expecting Frank Okam to step up and take over the NT job as the starter once and for all. On paper, he is exactly what you want at that position. Well, he will get to play a lot on Sunday, so maybe we will see that happen over the next few weeks. But of course, Okam will have to earn it.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Exactly, can we please have a good player starting on the interior DLine? I actually like Cody as a guy in rotation but he clearly isn't the NT that Robinson is.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Perhaps I am being too optimistic about this, but I keep expecting Frank Okam to step up and take over the NT job as the starter once and for all. On paper, he is exactly what you want at that position. Well he will play a lot on Sunday, so maybe we will still see that happen over the next few weeks. But of course, Okam will have to earn it.

Just because Robinson isn't from Texas doesn't make him less qualified. The guy is strong and his weight, which is very functional, is over 320 lbs now. And, he doesn't take plays off, he doesn't get washed by linemen, and he's usually in the backfield in the vacinity of the POA.

Goldensilence
09-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Cody might be the starter, but then again I am pretty sure we'll see a lot of rotating with the DL this year.

No reason to jump off the proverbial cliff.

gtexan02
09-09-2009, 05:32 PM
if this is enough to send you off the cliff, I quesiton your fanhood, because as Texans fans, we've endured way, way, way, etc, way worse

Joe Texan
Shut up with the horible news flash Get off the couch and get to the game

The Pencil Neck
Granted, but it is Kubiak's opinion I hear when he raves about Studdard and he says that Robinson is in a battle with Okam. Give me a freakin' break on both counts! Besides, as a head coach, you don't allow your assistants to make assinine decisions that have a negative affect on the team. You would have to be a football novice not to realize that Studdard is a below par backup guard and that Robinson should be playing most of the game against a run dominate team.

That should be the position coach and the DC making that decision with Kubiak basically signing off on it. That should not be Kubiak's decision.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Cody might be the starter, but then again I am pretty sure we'll see a lot of rotating with the DL this year.

No reason to jump off the proverbial cliff.

Okay, I'm going to chill out. I just saw that the depth chart is "unofficial". So, I'm going to attempt to operate under the assumption that the coaching staff does know what it is doing and that Robinson will get the majority of snaps at one of the two DT positions against the Jets... He can sit against Arizona, but he'd better be playing a lot these first 2 weeks.

HOU-TEX
09-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Good grief! All our DT's are average and interchangeable. Not one of them has taken advantage of the preseason to better their position. Plus, who cares who starts? They're all going to be rotating throughout the game anyway. Geez

Hervoyel
09-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Robinson is clearly our best, most disruptive interior lineman and why this change has been made I do not know. I'm not worried about it though because he'll get his snaps in there and the guy who can play will look better than the guy who still gets a pass because he hasn't started shaving yet.

That the Texans are putting Robinson behind Okoye on the depth chart should not come as a surprise to us. Your draft slot and your paycheck (earned or not) have always determined who was a starter here. I want to see how long Okoye can keep Robinson on the bench behind him. I'm thinking it won't be long.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Shut up with the horible news flash Get off the couch and get to the game

Umm, I'm in Austin. I will wake up at 4:30 am after working until midnight. I'll pack up the car, pickup Barrett, drive to Houston and arrive at the stadium at 8:00 am. We'll tailgate and talk football for 3 hours. I will walk into the stadium and to my seats at least 30 minutes before kickoff. I will remain in, or near my seats throughout the game and cheer vigorously enough to get a couple funny looks and probably a shoulder tap or two. Then, I'll head back to Austin and arrive around 8pm.

I've been making that trip since 2002. Is that good enough for you?

Double Barrel
09-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Good grief! All our DT's are average and interchangeable. Not one of them has taken advantage of the preseason to better their position. Plus, who cares who starts? They're all going to be rotating throughout the game anyway. Geez

yep. Sad, but true.

Robinson is clearly our best, most disruptive interior lineman and why this change has been made I do not know. I'm not worried about it though because he'll get his snaps in there and the guy who can play will look better than the guy who still gets a pass because he hasn't started shaving yet.

That the Texans are putting Robinson behind Okoye on the depth chart should not come as a surprise to us. Your draft slot and your paycheck (earned or not) have always determined who was a starter here. I want to see how long Okoye can keep Robinson on the bench behind him. I'm thinking it won't be long.

I think you're right. To be honest, I look forward to the day when I pop into the forum and see the trade thread and where Okoye gets sent. I'm just not impressed with the guy, never have been, and think the pick was stupid for a team that does not have the depth to use the time and space for project players from the first round.

Hervoyel
09-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Umm, I'm in Austin. I will wake up at 4:30 am after working until midnight. I'll pack up the car, pickup Barrett, drive to Houston and arrive at the stadium at 8:00 am. We'll tailgate and talk football for 3 hours. I will walk into the stadium and to my seats at least 30 minutes before kickoff. I will remain in, or near my seats throughout the game and cheer vigorously enough to get a couple funny looks and probably a shoulder tap or two. Then, I'll head back to Austin and arrive around 8pm.

I've been making that trip since 2002. Is that good enough for you?

Sounds like somebody just got offered a big steaming hot cup of STFU.

In a nice way of course.

Joe Texan
09-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I do not know what game your going to but I will be at the TEXANS game

Honoring Earl 34
09-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Y'all guys obviously don't understand the scheme . Start Okoye and Cody and by the first quarter Jones will be spent . :smiliedance:

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 05:42 PM

You're nuts. Robinson has been great when he's been in the game this preseason and he was clearly the best DT last season as well.

You are right that who starts doesn't matter. However, I have seen some very bad signs this preseason:
1. Robinson has been coming in with the second team defense all preseason.
2. Okoye has been treated like Mario Williams. He is protected from injury and is always one of the first starters off the field in the insignificant preseason games.
3. Okoye played poorly last season but remained on the field almost every freakin' down until they put him on the shelf with his ankle.
4. Robinson was listed as the starting NT on the depth chart until today. Someone at houstontexans.com went into the depth chart and moved him from starter to backup. To me that is a pretty clear indication of a demotion and not simply indicating that he may not play the first snap.

Joe Texan
09-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Dale calm down man it is ok

TheRealJoker
09-09-2009, 05:45 PM
yep. Sad, but true.

I think you're right. To be honest, I look forward to the day when I pop into the forum and see the trade thread and where Okoye gets sent. I'm just not impressed with the guy, never have been, and think the pick was stupid for a team that does not have the depth to use the time and space for project players from the first round.

So far the Okoye pick has been what the national media claimed the Mario pick would be for us. We passed up on two very good players that would've contributed a lot more than Okoye has thus far in Patrick Willis and Darelle Revis.

Even if Okoye turns into a solid DT before he plays out his rookie contract he wont be at the level Willis and Revis are at their respective positions.

Hervoyel
09-09-2009, 05:45 PM
yep. Sad, but true.

I hear you. Either that or the day he gets old enough to walk to the practice field on his own and actually plays like the guy we wanted him to be when we took him. We're in one of those Catch-22 situations where we trade him and he'll go turn into a miniature Warren Sapp and if we keep him he'll stay exactly like the guy we're looking at now. Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

I want to know what next years DL will be like. I'm dying for opening day but even now as the season slowly crawls toward it's kickoff I'm already thinking about the choices in defensive linemen in the 2010 draft. I have this picture in my mind of Rick Smith sitting in his office all day looking at film and reading statistics and sports pages from all over the country and muttering to himself "Sooner or later we gotta get one right! Just one DT is all I'm asking for!"

I bet he's decided to pick a DT already :)

Hervoyel
09-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Y'all guys obviously don't understand the scheme . Start Okoye and Cody and by the first quarter Jones will be spent . :smiliedance:

You might be on to something..... hmmmmm

HOU-TEX
09-09-2009, 05:47 PM
You're nuts. Robinson has been great when he's been in the game this preseason and he was clearly the best DT last season as well.

You are right that who starts doesn't matter. However, I have seen some very bad signs this preseason:
2. Okoye has been treated like Mario Williams. He is protected from injury and is always one of the first starters off the field in the insignificant preseason games.
3. Okoye played poorly last season but remained on the field almost every freakin' down until they put him on the shelf with his ankle.
4. Robinson was listed as the starting NT on the depth chart until today. Someone at houstontexans.com went into the depth chart and moved him from starter to backup. To me that is a pretty clear indication of a demotion and not simply indicating that he may not play the first snap.

I'm nuts? Who started a knee-jerk thread about the coaches not having your favorite DT starting? Give me a break, dude.

Robinson did well at times this preseason, but so did Cody and Okam. The problem was they all had poor plays as well = interchangeable

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I do not know what game your going to but I will be at the TEXANS game

I'm sure that discussions about defensive tackles and interior line play must sound like nuclear physics to you but that doesn't make it any less relevent.

Silver Oak
09-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I would think all will get playing time, and the depth chart doesn't mean that much.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm nuts? Who started a knee-jerk thread about the coaches not having your favorite DT starting? Give me a break, dude.

Robinson did well at times this preseason, but so did Cody and Okam. The problem was they all had poor plays as well = interchangeable

He's only my favorite because he is so clearly the best we have. I'm not pedaling him like some of you Longhorn fans who try and shove Okam in our face. If Robinson gets fewer snaps than Okoye and Cody in a game where the Jets are running the ball, it would be an obscene and indefensible error by this coaching staff.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 05:52 PM
I would think all will get playing time, and the depth chart doesn't mean that much.

The chart concerns me because it was just changed. I fear the update which took Robinson off the first team and moved his position from NT to 3 technique indicates that the staff believes him to be the third or fourth best DT on the team, which is absurd!

gary
09-09-2009, 05:53 PM

4. Robinson was listed as the starting NT on the depth chart until today. Someone at houstontexans.com went into the depth chart and moved him from starter to backup. To me that is a pretty clear indication of a demotion and not simply indicating that he may not play the first snap.So folks are nuts just because they feel otherwise. Dude, get a grip HOU knows his football and has right to post his thoughts.

El cabezon
09-09-2009, 05:54 PM

I don't get it....what's so horrible about it???

MojoMan
09-09-2009, 05:55 PM

Great post. This is the best post of the thread, and sums the whole situation up excellently. Rep for you.

All four of these guys will play a lot. Does it really matter which one goes first, and which one goes second? Perhaps a couple of these guys will distinguish themselves as the season goes on and establish themselves as the clear #1 players at their positions. But for right now we have four decent, interchangeable defensive linemen. None of them are actually terrible, and certainly none of them are on track to ever get vote #1 for a pro bowl trip.

I expect us to stack the box this weekend with a view towards shutting down the run, putting pressure on the pocket and forcing the rookie QB Sanchez to throw the ball. If that is correct, the Texans defensive linemen will receive extra run-stopping help all game long. This is the biggest weakness that this team has. If the Texans can compensate and overcome this weakness, they will almost certainly win this game.

b0ng
09-09-2009, 05:56 PM
You're nuts. Robinson has been great

Being the best DT on the Texans and being great are two completely different things. If our staff wants to make a depth change between two mediocre (And that's giving both of them credit) players, then they can be my guest.

If Bill Kollar wants to put Shaun Cody in above Okam and Okoye in above Robinson on the depth chart, then I don't really care. How many times did Jeff Zgnonia come in last year? You think the depth guys aren't going to get to play?

Also, just to draw a similarity to last year, Ahman Green was the starting RB on game day week 1 last year.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I don't get it....what's so horrible about it???

What is horrible is that, if this comes to pass, it indicates the inability of our coaching staff to make good football decisions in the areas where this team has struggled : run defense, in this case.

How can we ever get the run defense fixed if those making the decision form and act on poor conclusions?! that's the problem.

HOU-TEX
09-09-2009, 05:58 PM
He's only my favorite because he is so clearly the best we have. I'm not pedaling him like some of you Longhorn fans who try and shove Okam in our face. If Robinson gets fewer snaps than Okoye and Cody in a game where the Jets are running the ball, it would be an obscene and indefensible error by this coaching staff.

Let's not paint such a broad brush, Einstein. I haven't had much positive to say about any of our DT's. They're all average at best.

Back to the knee-jerkin

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 06:01 PM
So folks are nuts just because they feel otherwise. Dude, get a grip HOU knows his football and has right to post his thoughts.

"you're nuts" is an expression in an attempt to communicate how strongly I disagree with the guy. I understand that he knows football. I discourse on the boards with him and read his posts. However, if he doesn't see a significant difference in the play of Robinson and the rest of the DTs in the run game, he is very wrong!

gary
09-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Let's not paint such a broad brush, Einstein. I haven't had much positive to say about any of our DT's. They're all average at best.

Back to the knee-jerkinYou really are just raving nut. Dude, calm down. LOL

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Back to the knee-jerkin

"some of you" is a broad brush and knee-jerkin? I'm not sure I get that.

Perhaps they are all average at best. If so, Robinson is average and Okoye is horrid. My point would remain the same. Robinson should be seen by the staff as their best option at DT, particularly against a run dominate team.

HOU-TEX
09-09-2009, 06:04 PM
You really are just raving nut. Dude, calm down. LOL

Heh, heh, just having some fun, Gary.

HOU-TEX
09-09-2009, 06:05 PM
"some of you" is a broad brush and knee-jerkin? I'm not sure I get that.

Perhaps they are all average at best. If so, Robinson is average and Okoye is horrid. My point would remain the same. Robinson should be seen by the staff as their best option at DT, particularly against a run dominate team.

Okay, now this I can agree with. Unfortunately

pappy
09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
What is horrible is that, if this comes to pass, it indicates the inability of our coaching staff to make good football decisions in the areas where this team has struggled : run defense, in this case.

How can we ever get the run defense fixed if those making the decision form and act on poor conclusions?! that's the problem.

Well i for one think it just might be a good choice given that Robinson has had his arm wrapped up all of the preseason . If they have concluded that he will benefit from playing less or that the jets will attempt to run at the bad arm .

gary
09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Heh, heh, just having some fun, Gary.I know. LOL

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Well i for one think it just might be a good choice given that Robinson has had his arm wrapped up all of the preseason . If they have concluded that he will benefit from playing less or that the jets will attempt to run at the bad arm .

Sure, but if they were concerned about his injury, why did he play so much in the Tampa game?

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I am not worried, its what we have and it is what it is. They will ALL be rotated quite a bit this season.

I am kind of excited at the prospect of Okam clogging up the middle when our D has its back up against the goal line. Anyone else thinking this could be big for us?

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I am not worried, its what we have and it is what it is. They will ALL be rotated quite a bit this season.

I am kind of excited at the prospect of Okam clogging up the middle when our D has its back up against the goal line. Anyone else thinking this could be big for us?

I'm a long ways from wanting Okam in the game during a big moment... it is actually a terrifying thought. That being said, if he continues to flash and is able to contribute in a rotation without disappearing on some plays, then I would become encouraged.

Thorn
09-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, obviously, the world is coming to an end this Sunday. I suggest we all prepare for it with beer and nachos. :)

mexican_texan
09-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Cody is no scrub. You'll see plenty of DelJuan.

ArlingtonTexan
09-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Exactly, can we please have a good player starting on the interior DLine? I actually like Cody as a guy in rotation but he clearly isn't the NT that Robinson is.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depthchart.asp

DelJuan is not even listed as a NT currently. Seems like I saw a quote from Kubes somewhere that DelJuan plays the three better than NT. Probably should keep an eye for him to replace Okoye not Cody. All four (maybe even 5 with the old man) will probably play in some rotation and around the same number of snaps no matter who is the "starter"

Marcus
Lord Almighty . . . the season hasn't even started yet, and some of you are already just downright miserable.

The thread title made me think someone like Mario or Demeco blew out their knees on the practice field and were out for the season.

C'mon man!

gary
"you're nuts" is an expression in an attempt to communicate how strongly I disagree with the guy. I understand that he knows football. I discourse on the boards with him and read his posts. However, if he doesn't see a significant difference in the play of Robinson and the rest of the DTs in the run game, he is very wrong!Your point is taken but if it was me I'd use a different line but that's just me. No big deal I'm moving on.

brakos82
Well, obviously, the world is coming to an end this Sunday. I suggest we all prepare for it with beer and nachos. :)

I second this movement. LOL

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm a long ways from wanting Okam in the game during a big moment... it is actually a terrifying thought. That being said, if he continues to flash and is able to contribute in a rotation without disappearing on some plays, then I would become encouraged.

Certainly he has a long way to go. But he is the ideal body you want to basically bash the interior of the line on goal line situations. It would be the simplest situation for him and one where he could be the most effective imo. Limiting the risk of him "disappearing." It may be too soon, but guess we are gonna find out.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Cody is no scrub. You'll see plenty of DelJuan.

I like Cody also and I hope you're right about Deljuan. Moreso, I hope it doesn't happen after a long TD run. That's the nightmare scenario. Okoye starts because he's the golden child and we get lit up on the series because of it.

Don't any of you guys have the preseason games on DVR. I dare you to watch them focusing on Robinson and Okoye. It's remarkable the difference between the two in the run game!

Porky
09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Your draft slot and your paycheck (earned or not) have always determined who was a starter here.

I think that notion was pretty roundly rejected in the backup QB battle.

As for the starting DT's, I don't care who starts that much. Okam was excellent in both road games, and sucked in both home games. So, not sure which Okam we'll get. Robinson is good agianst the run, but it's not like he can play 60 snaps a game right? Do anyone really think that?

So, if Deljuan starts and plays 30 snaps, or he comes off the bench and plays 30 snaps, what the hell difference does it make? Cody, Robinson, Okoye and Okam are all going to play and rotate. Who cares whose name is on the program as the starter.

Marcus
09-09-2009, 06:24 PM

As for the starting DT's, I don't care who starts that much. Okam was excellent in both road games, and sucked in both home games. So, not sure which Okam we'll get. Robinson is good agianst the run, but it's not like he can play 60 snaps a game right? Do anyone really think that?

So, if Deljuan starts and plays 30 snaps, or he comes off the bench and plays 30 snaps, what the hell difference does it make? Cody, Robinson, Okoye and Okam are all going to play and rotate. Who cares whose name is on the program as the starter.

:perfect10:

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Lord Almighty . . . the season hasn't even started yet, and some of you are already just downright miserable.

The thread title made me think someone like Mario or Demeco blew out their knees on the practice field and were out for the season.

C'mon man!

Isn't that the sign of a good headline. You know, catch the readers attention and get them to read the article. I actually do think it's horrible news and have been dreading its coming for a few days now. But, I also realized many of you wouldn't care. I'm not sure why. You should care. This is not the kind of decision-making that great teams are built out of.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 06:28 PM

Porky, I agree with you with a couple exceptions:

1. I don't think it sends a good message to the team to not start the best player at his position. He should be announced among the starters... He has earned that right.

2. My fear is that the active action of removing Deljuan from starting NT to backup DT on the depth chart is an indication that the coaching staff's opinion of him deteriorating or indication that he is less central to this week's gameplan.

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 06:32 PM
2. My fear is that the active action of removing Deljuan from starting NT to backup DT on the depth chart is an indication that the coaching staff's opinion of him deteriorating or indication that he is less central to this week's gameplan.

Any possibility of him still being banged up a bit playing into the "unofficial" depth chart decisions to this point?

GuerillaBlack
09-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Titles like this should be banned

For real. Definitely pissed me off. Big title, weak thread.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Any possibility of him still being banged up a bit playing into the "unofficial" depth chart decisions to this point?

I don't think so because of how much playing time he got versus Tampa Bay. Normally, that is the game where players are protected from injuries. I would guess he played over 1/2 the snaps that game. No other starter played anywhere near as many snaps, including guys that really need to show something like Dominique Barber.

JB
09-09-2009, 06:39 PM
I think that it is ridiculous to suggest that any of us know better than the coaching staff who should be starting or at what position. There are a lot of very knowledgable fans posting here, but I don't think there are any that make their living as a pro coach. The coaches have to make the call and live with it. If they do a bad job, they will get fired.

I know it is fun to get all wrapped up in your fave players, but to suggest that you know better than Kollar and Bush and Kubiak is NUTS!

TimeKiller
09-09-2009, 06:39 PM

Me, Brakos and Thorn will be in the nacho/beer corner....

:beer:

Goldensilence
09-09-2009, 06:41 PM

I don't think it was roundly rejected. I think it partially rejects the notion. It's possible either Dan or Rex can go back and forth as the season goes on. I just think the Tampa performance and with Dan's performance overall this preseason it was an easy decision.

Dan doesn't seem like the type to sit on it either though. In fact I think it might help him know where he stands and what he needs to do to climb the depth chart.

I still think Cak is right for the most part. I mean why else start Weaver, Greenwood, Johnson, and Okoye? Good news is 3 out of 4 is gone. If Okoye doesn't show up this year we need to seriously consider pulling the plug on the guy and trade him. Even if he does become a mini Warren Sapp he's unlikely to do so here at his current rate.

I really don't want us to go for a 1st round DT next year. Only 1st rounder whom I would select is Cody. I'd rather fix our secondary once and all,take the plunge and go safety.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 06:44 PM
I think that it is ridiculous to suggest that any of us know better than the coaching staff who should be starting or at what position. There are a lot of very knowledgable fans posting here, but I don't think there are any that make their living as a pro coach. The coaches have to make the call and live with it. If they do a bad job, they will get fired.

I know it is fun to get all wrapped up in your fave players, but to suggest that you know better than Kollar and Bush and Kubiak is NUTS!

Having more access, more knowledge, etc... doesn't equate to making a better decision. I've known a lot of very intelligent people who make really poor decisions.

By the way, I'm sure there are some pretty good football minds that would agree with my position regarding Deljuan. Besides, what are you doing on a football message board if you think it's wrong to question coaches?

Thorn
09-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Posters are not allowed to make sensible posts in hysterical threads. You receive 10 demerits for that post for making sense. Let's try and not repeat this again. :cow:

JB
09-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Having more access, more knowledge, etc... doesn't equate to making a better decision. I've known a lot of very intelligent people who make really poor decisions.

By the way, I'm sure there are some pretty good football minds that would agree with my position regarding Deljuan. Besides, what are you doing on a football message board if you think it's wrong to question coaches?

I don't think it is wrong to question coaches. I think it is wrong to post your opinions as fact and assert that any who don't agree are nuts.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't think it is wrong to question coaches. I think it is wrong to post your opinions as fact and assert that any who don't agree are nuts.

I think opinions can be recognized as such without me saying "this is my opinion... I could be wrong, etc..." The strength of my words aren't me disguising my opinion as fact, it is an illustration of how strongly I believe my opinion.

m5kwatts
09-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't see what the fuss is all about, Deljuan is in the rotation, I don't even think of us as having a true "NT" as much as a NT platoon between 3 guys... believe me Deljuan will get in games and because he's an effort motor guy he WILL show up on tape and will get the increased reps....

I think they could be limiting his snaps with the thinking that less is more... the snaps he will play on will get more out of him as opposed to starting him at NT and playing him 70% snaps of the game and he's dead tired in the 4th quarter.

False Start
09-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I thought this was going to be another Schaub thread...... :foottap: ;)

barrett
09-09-2009, 07:00 PM

Thanks Dale. I appreciate that.

I think it's a bit irrational to get upset over the HT.com unofficial depth chart.

I think it is very rational to be concerned with the way DelJuan has been used in the preseason. One major concern that I noticed is that although the coaches are rotating the DLinemen, they don't seem to be doing it logically. I don't see what's so bad about situational rotations. Why Okoye is in there on running downs against a 2 back TE set just doesn't add up to me. They switch out DB's based on how many WR's there are, but there seems to be no changes on the interior DLine. Or if therse is it's more generic. Like Okoye plays 3 series then takes a break etc...

In a run heavy formation having (ACCORDING TO THE PRESEASON GAMES I'VE REWATCHED MULTIPLE TIMES) the two best run stopping DT's in Robinson and Cody is the most logical. Hell, even Okam in FOR 1 PLAY AT A TIME makes more sense than Okoye. I'm fine with, even excited by having Okoye in on passing downs with Barwin and Smith.

Not seeing Robinson on the website means nothing to me. How many times do they announce somebody's name at the game and somebody else runs out for christ's sake.

See you at 5 or 5:30 Dale?

76Texan
09-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Robinson has been great when he's been in the game this preseason and he was clearly the best DT last season as well.

Sorry, but NO on both counts!

rush2112mn
09-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Robinson is hurt...calf strain......

barrett
09-09-2009, 07:04 PM
believe me Deljuan will get in games and because he's an effort motor guy he WILL show up on tape and will get the increased reps....

That's exactly what the fuss is about. Some feel that he has already shown up on tape to be the best DT and he's not getting the starts or snaps that seem to benefit the team.

I think they could be limiting his snaps with the thinking that less is more... the snaps he will play on will get more out of him as opposed to starting him at NT and playing him 70% snaps of the game and he's dead tired in the 4th quarter.

You could be dead on with that line of thinking. Perhaps he's better coming in as a backup. Perhaps they have the tape to show that he plays better coming off the bench against worn in linemen.

76Texan
09-09-2009, 07:05 PM
I like Cody also and I hope you're right about Deljuan. Moreso, I hope it doesn't happen after a long TD run. That's the nightmare scenario. Okoye starts because he's the golden child and we get lit up on the series because of it.

Don't any of you guys have the preseason games on DVR. I dare you to watch them focusing on Robinson and Okoye. It's remarkable the difference between the two in the run game!Yes, and I think Okoye was unremarkable against first teamers and Deljuan was unremarkable against non-first teamers!

barrett
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Robinson is hurt...calf strain......

source?

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't see what the fuss is all about, Deljuan is in the rotation, I don't even think of us as having a true "NT" as much as a NT platoon between 3 guys... believe me Deljuan will get in games and because he's an effort motor guy he WILL show up on tape and will get the increased reps....

how about starting Chris Brown at RB. After all, he and Slaton will both play. SLaton can still get 3/4 of the carries. Why does it matter who the "starter" is? We want Slaton fresh for the 4th quarter...

Nope, that won't happen because Slaton has cache. But, Robinson is an undrafted FA, so the fact that he starts the game on the bench behind a guy that might get pancaked one on one by Casey Studdard (Okoye) is not a problem for you guys. He's the best DT on the team by a significant amount. He's proven it on the field. He should start. Pretty simple, I think.

If the Jets start the game with 3 Wrs and no FB then, by all means, sub in Okoye. However, if they go with a power I formation and a TE or two, you'd better have Robinson in the game. It's the equivalent to taking AJ out of the game on 3rd and 9.

barrett
09-09-2009, 07:10 PM
according to HT.com Robinson participated fully in practice.

Kevin Walter WR Hamstring Did not participate at practice
Eugene Wilson S Knee Did not participate at practice
Jacques Reeves CB Fibula Full participation at practice
DelJuan Robinson DT Calf Full participation at practice
Matt Schaub QB Ankle Full participation at practice

http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday/InjuryReport.asp

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Yes, and I think Okoye was unremarkable against first teamers and Deljuan was unremarkable against non-first teamers!

I don't know about that... Okoye was pretty remarkable against the Saints! It was one of the most astonishingly bad performances I've ever seen from a DT.

And, Robinson played very well all preseason. Unfortunately, he didn't play but a couple first team snaps after the KC game... which he played very well in!

barrett
09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
If the Jets start the game with 3 Wrs and no FB then, by all means, sub in Okoye. However, if they go with a power I formation and a TE or two, you'd better have Robinson in the game. It's the equivalent to taking AJ out of the game on 3rd and 9.

Thats my biggest issue. I don't care who starts. DelJuan might but I certainly don't.

MojoMan
09-09-2009, 07:17 PM
according to HT.com Robinson participated fully in practice.

Kevin Walter WR Hamstring Did not participate at practice
Eugene Wilson S Knee Did not participate at practice
Jacques Reeves CB Fibula Full participation at practice
DelJuan Robinson DT Calf Full participation at practice
Matt Schaub QB Ankle Full participation at practice

http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday/InjuryReport.asp

That is great news! Let these guys heal up so they can be ready to play on Sunday!

MojoMan
09-09-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't know about that... Okoye was pretty remarkable against the Saints! It was one of the most astonishingly bad performances I've ever seen from a DT.

And, Robinson played very well all preseason. Unfortunately, he didn't play but a couple first team snaps after the KC game... which he played very well in!

We are Doomed!

Doomed I tell you!!!!

Woe is me, suffering and failure is all the Texans can hope for. All is lost. There is no hope!

Despair! Fear! Panic and retreat!

What are we going to do???

Woe, woe, woe to me and everyone who calls themselves a Houston Texans fan.

WOE!!!

:sarcasm:

NitroGSXR
09-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I think I'm going to sit back and let Kollar deal with Kubiak/Bush when it comes to the DL. The guy really seems to have the line under control. He was something else to watch during camp. I think he's got more say so as to who will be rotating/not rotating the most. Okoye may be penciled in as a starter but that doesn't mean he's going to be in there the whole game.

m5kwatts
09-09-2009, 07:27 PM
how about starting Chris Brown at RB. After all, he and Slaton will both play. SLaton can still get 3/4 of the carries. Why does it matter who the "starter" is? We want Slaton fresh for the 4th quarter...

Nope, that won't happen because Slaton has cache. But, Robinson is an undrafted FA, so the fact that he starts the game on the bench behind a guy that might get pancaked one on one by Casey Studdard (Okoye) is not a problem for you guys. He's the best DT on the team by a significant amount. He's proven it on the field. He should start. Pretty simple, I think.

Lets wait until we see the lineman rotation on Sunday before we huff and puff, if Deljuan plays a high number of snaps regardless of not starting then I don't see the big deal other than CBS doesn't show his face on the starters graphic at the beginning of the game

Double Barrel
09-09-2009, 07:27 PM
We are Doomed!

Doomed I tell you!!!!

Woe is me, suffering and failure is all the Texans can hope for. All is lost. There is no hope!

Despair! Fear! Panic and retreat!

What are we going to do???

Woe, woe, woe to me and everyone who calls themselves a Houston Texans fan.

WOE!!!

Is this our new fight song? It's kind of catchy! :whistle:

rmartin65
09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
I really don't want us to go for a 1st round DT next year. Only 1st rounder whom I would select is Cody. I'd rather fix our secondary once and all,take the plunge and go safety.

What position would you like in the first round next year? I think DT is a pretty large need. Safety is close though.

And Cody is one of the last DT's I want. Big fat guy, 2 down player. Good for stopping the run, but useless against the pass. Suh and Jones are first rounders that I would take.

barrett
09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Lets wait until we see the lineman rotation on Sunday before we huff and puff, if Deljuan plays a high number of snaps regardless of not starting then I don't see the big deal other than CBS doesn't show his face on the starters graphic at the beginning of the game

You mean we don't yell his name as he leaves the tunnel.

Pantherstang84
09-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Go ahead and jump.

NitroGSXR
09-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Go ahead and jump.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/NitroHonda/suicide6co.gif

barrett
09-09-2009, 07:42 PM
whoa!

mussop
09-09-2009, 07:54 PM
What position would you like in the first round next year? I think DT is a pretty large need. Safety is close though.

And Cody is one of the last DT's I want. Big fat guy, 2 down player. Good for stopping the run, but useless against the pass. Suh and Jones are first rounders that I would take.

Yeh I would hate to have a guy that sometimes needs some breaks during a game but can control the line of scrimmage, work down the line to make tackles in the run game, force double teams and set up linebackers and who draws double teams. While he does have deficiencies his strengths are exactly what this team needs. Stopping the run has been this teams achilles heel for too long.

Now Im not saying I wouldnt rather have Suh and Jones at this point. Just that beggars cant be choosers. Kinda like our S situation. Who cares who is better between Mays and Berry If we are lucky enough to get either one of them it will be an improvement over anyone we have ever had at the position.

Texecutioner
09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
He's only my favorite because he is so clearly the best we have. I'm not pedaling him like some of you Longhorn fans who try and shove Okam in our face.

Wait a minute. You are the same guy who so arrogantly jumped down my throat for not buying in to Okam just like two weeks ago in here because I wasn't excited about one pre season game of his. Now you're here to bash the guy after jumping down my throat for saying that I wasn't buying in?

Oh the irony. :brando:

TimeKiller
09-09-2009, 08:04 PM
However, if they go with a power I formation and a TE or two, you'd better have Robinson in the game. It's the equivalent to taking AJ out of the game on 3rd and 9.

No it isn't. The equivalent would be taking both DTs out and playing with 9.

Look, I want Robinson starting almost as much as you do but don't be silly. Robinson impact on this team/league is zero next to AJ.

ATXtexanfan
09-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Came to the conclusion that no matter who we put in at DT or what combo we won't be happy

TheDrifter
09-09-2009, 08:32 PM
You know, when you clicked in on the forum and the top thread is titled "Horrible news for the Jets game!!" you kinda assume its actually HORRIBLE news, like AJ busted with a train car full of Columbian pure.

One mediocre DT losing to a slightly more mediocre DT when they'll probably rotate anyway just doesnt quite meassure up in my things to panic about list.

Pantherstang84
09-09-2009, 09:09 PM
You know, when you clicked in on the forum and the top thread is titled "Horrible news for the Jets game!!" you kinda assume its actually HORRIBLE news, like AJ busted with a train car full of Columbian pure.

One mediocre DT losing to a slightly more mediocre DT when they'll probably rotate anyway just doesnt quite meassure up in my things to panic about list.

/thread
:perfect10:

rmartin65
09-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Yeh I would hate to have a guy that sometimes needs some breaks during a game but can control the line of scrimmage, work down the line to make tackles in the run game, force double teams and set up linebackers and who draws double teams. While he does have deficiencies his strengths are exactly what this team needs. Stopping the run has been this teams achilles heel for too long.

Now Im not saying I wouldnt rather have Suh and Jones at this point. Just that beggars cant be choosers. Kinda like our S situation. Who cares who is better between Mays and Berry If we are lucky enough to get either one of them it will be an improvement over anyone we have ever had at the position.

The NFL is better. Stronger, faster, smarter (maybe not, VY is in it, but I digress), Cody's sheer bulk wont scare teams. Cody wins because he is massive, and can move ok for someone that large. However, players in the NFL will run him ragged, and after the 1st quarter he wont have any impact.

WesmanTexanfan
09-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Maybe they know he plays better off the bench, I trust our coaches.

You can never assume you know what a coach is thinking. Alot of things can be indirect, but in this case I bet the other guys just worked harder or won the spot in practice.

Besides that all I can say is send your resume to Bob...

steelbtexan
09-09-2009, 09:39 PM

Don't any of you guys have the preseason games on DVR. I dare you to watch them focusing on Robinson and Okoye. It's remarkable the difference between the two in the run game!

Agreed

It's like Smithiak cant admit they made a mistake about Okoye. They keep starting him and he keeps getting thrown around like a rag doll.

Instead of going back to Nigeria after his rookie season he should've stayed in Houston and worked with the S&C coaches to help him gain the weight (Strength) he needed to play to play his position at the level his talent would allow.

This leads me to ask the ?

Is Okoye serious about becoming the best DT he possibly can be?

Answer: So far it would seem to be NO.

Lets hope he grows up soon and becomes a man or Smithiak will have to answer why they spent a top 10 pick on an immature 19 year old kid.

michaelm
09-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Robinson continues to wear the number 66 because it reminds him of where he came from, and helps him stay hungry. Playing hungry has gotten him to the level of play that he exhibits now.
Maybe we shouldn't mess with his hunger mojo by making him a starter. He clearly plays with a chip on his sholder. Let's not knock it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ObsiWan
09-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Porky, I agree with you with a couple exceptions:

1. I don't think it sends a good message to the team to not start the best player at his position. He should be announced among the starters... He has earned that right.

Not one of those DTs has consistently shown that he deserves to be THE starter. But ya gotta list somebody. Like almost everyone else has said, all of those buffaloes will probably get equal snaps due to the rotation. Let's face it, we simply do not have a young Warren Sapp on our D-line. At least no one has consistently shown himself to be that kind of stud.

Let's see if Robinson makes the most of the snaps he's gets i.e., makes enough plays so that the coaching staff officially demotes Okoye. That's the challenge for DelJuan.

Second Honeymoon
09-09-2009, 09:49 PM
its all good, dalemurphy

sometimes the stuff this franchise/regime does puzzles me too. hopefully our defense shows some sack and plays like they has some heart.

i understand your frustration but just realize that its a new season. everyone knows that if things dont go well, there will be big changes perhaps even at Head Coach but lets hope for the best and have a winning season..for once.

dalemurphy
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Wait a minute. You are the same guy who so arrogantly jumped down my throat for not buying in to Okam just like two weeks ago in here because I wasn't excited about one pre season game of his. Now you're here to bash the guy after jumping down my throat for saying that I wasn't buying in?

Oh the irony. :brando:

Wow! do you really believe that? I said that dampening the board's enthusiasm about a player's performance during preseason by saying "it's only preseason" isn't offering much. We all know it's only preseason. I didn't happen to be too excited about him either but assume everyone already is aware of the fact that the games in August are different than the ones coming up.

ObsiWan
09-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Robinson continues to wear the number 66 because it reminds him of where he came from, and helps him stay hungry. Playing hungry has gotten him to the level of play that he exhibits now.
Maybe we shouldn't mess with his hunger mojo by making him a starter. He clearly plays with a chip on his sholder. Let's not knock it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG!
Logic!?
What's that doing on a msg bd???

Somebody ban this dude before he makes us all sane!
:D

mussop
09-09-2009, 10:09 PM
The NFL is better. Stronger, faster, smarter (maybe not, VY is in it, but I digress), Cody's sheer bulk wont scare teams. Cody wins because he is massive, and can move ok for someone that large. However, players in the NFL will run him ragged, and after the 1st quarter he wont have any impact.

Seriously rmartin65, seriously??????I think his reputation on conditioning or lack there of is way overblown but what you are suggeting is just ridiculous. Obviously the pro scouts think his conditioning isnt as big a problem as you considering he was widely considered the top DT in last years draft had he come out. Sean Gilbert and Tony Saragoosa were others that had conditioning issues but because of their size and abilities dominated. Cody's abilities are on the same level if not better than either of those two at this stage.

DocBar
09-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Why are y'all raving about your nuts? Sorry...had shoulder surgery today and still woozy.

76Texan
09-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Against NO, Deljuan played OK (he only played in the second half against non-first teamers) but was never close enough to make any play, the other guys around him did.

Watch the Saints' TD toward the end of the game.
He was blown back on consecutive plays into the end zone.
There goes the NT you like!

I wanted to say Okoye has a slightly better game against the Vikings first team than Deljuan against the non-firsteamers, but I haven't got time to re-re-re-watch it!

rmartin65
09-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Seriously rmartin65, seriously??????I think his reputation on conditioning or lack there of is way overblown but what you are suggeting is just ridiculous. Obviously the pro scouts think his conditioning isnt as big a problem as you considering he was widely considered the top DT in last years draft had he come out. Sean Gilbert and Tony Saragoosa were others that had conditioning issues but because of their size and abilities dominated. Cody's abilities are on the same level if not better than either of those two at this stage.

Conditioning, in pro sports, can never be overblown. People who are gassed are not as sharp physically (obviously) or mentally. There is a reason coaches place so much emphasis on conditioning, it can seriously win games.

He was highly rated, so what. Lots of people are highly rated that dont pan out.

I dont see Cody as a beast. He will be a good run stuffer, no doubt. But he will not be a difference maker through the whole game.

76Texan
09-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Conditioning, in pro sports, can never be overblown. People who are gassed are not as sharp physically (obviously) or mentally. There is a reason coaches place so much emphasis on conditioning, it can seriously win games.

He was highly rated, so what. Lots of people are highly rated that dont pan out.

I dont see Cody as a beast. He will be a good run stuffer, no doubt. But he will not be a difference maker through the whole game.

Martin, you have to remember that

(1) More than half (if not most) of the NT/big DT in the NFL only play about 40 snaps a game.

(2) Bama's open field (and other colleges') and the hot weather in the early part of the season do not allow coaches to play these guys as much as they'd like.

GP
09-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Robinson and Bulman will be our "x factor" this year.

I saw those guys play last year, and they are hungry.

Not as hungry as TJ, obviously, but still....

D-Frank
09-09-2009, 11:49 PM
to go the the title, the horrible news for us is Leon Washington a guy quicker and with more top end speed than our guy SS. if we give him a cutback it will be huge. our DT's cant be pushed around or its over

rmartin65
09-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Martin, you have to remember that

(1) More than half (if not most) of the NT/big DT in the NFL only play about 40 snaps a game.

(2) Bama's open field (and other colleges') and the hot weather in the early part of the season do not allow coaches to play these guys as much as they'd like.

Those are both valid points. Do they really play only that much? Huh, if that is the case, interesting. I still dont like Cody. He does well because he is massive, and college kids cant handle it. Pro Olines are bigger (not Cody's size, but most are over 300) and will not be man-handled the way college lines are.

I am not saying I would not take Cody in the 2nd, because I would. He will be an above average run stopper, and that is a need. I just think that this draft class is deep enough that if the top tier DT's are not available the Texans could target another position with a player who will play all 3 downs, or even most of the game, not just 40 plays.

BigBull17
09-10-2009, 08:30 AM

Yeah, but neither are the other guys. Okoye hasn't done anything since game 6 of his rookie year. They are trying to justify a top 10 pick, to the detriment of the team. I'm not a fan of this decision.

gtexan02
09-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Can someone change the thread title to "mildly disappointing news for the Jets game!!" so that we quit giving people heart attacks early in the morning?

4Texans
09-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Some people just need to back away from the key board......

:goodbad:

dalemurphy
09-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Can someone change the thread title to "mildly disappointing news for the Jets game!!" so that we quit giving people heart attacks early in the morning?

what fun would that be?

Blake
09-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Wow, 6 pages about Okoye and Cody starting. Personally I want to see what a player does when the regular season starts. Pre-season is just to find out who makes the team. The adjustments durring the season will tell how a player is really doing.

QUick note. We have 2 first round draft picks on our starting offense. AJ and Duane Brown. We have 5 first round picks starting on defense, plus the #33 overall pick DeMeco Ryans. We better get some dang results.

mussop
09-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Those are both valid points. Do they really play only that much? Huh, if that is the case, interesting. I still dont like Cody. He does well because he is massive, and college kids cant handle it. Pro Olines are bigger (not Cody's size, but most are over 300) and will not be man-handled the way college lines are.

I am not saying I would not take Cody in the 2nd, because I would. He will be an above average run stopper, and that is a need. I just think that this draft class is deep enough that if the top tier DT's are not available the Texans could target another position with a player who will play all 3 downs, or even most of the game, not just 40 plays.

If things go the way most think then we should be drafting in the 20's. (Fingers crossed) Its highly unlikely any of the top DT's last that long unless they have some type of flaw in their game. Of course if we were lucky enough to get a dominating Run stopper like Cody at that point I wouldnt be unhappy.

This whole scenerio reminds me of the year we took Okoye. I wanted Willis BADLY but I wasnt unhappy with the Okoye pick. I am big beleiver in taking BPA. To me BPA usually starts in the trenches. In the last draft I would of taken Oher over Cushing but once again I wasnt unhappy with the pick. Alot just depends on whos available and who can help the team the most.

Thorn
09-10-2009, 09:43 AM
We have 2 first round draft picks on our starting offense. AJ and Duane Brown. We have 5 first round picks starting on defense, plus the #33 overall pick DeMeco Ryans. We better get some dang results.

I couldn't agree more. I want to see the defense kick some ass this year.

Hooston Texan
09-10-2009, 09:56 AM
what fun would that be?

You mean you are actually PROUD of this thread and the way your Mario-is-dead title is suckering in viewers? While those same viewers are getting to see you all lathered up because of an unofficial depth chart on an internet site?? Over how our cruddy DTs are listed on that internet chart??? When you, me and everyone else who cares already knows that we're going to be rotating those cruddy DTs anyway????

If this was a thread I started and posted in over two dozen times, I'd be hoping that it slides quickly into the memory hole ASAP. As it is, this thread reminds me of the scene in Airplane when the passengers are lining up to beat the tar out of the woman having a panic attack.

Vinnie
09-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Good God, Sunday can't come soon enough.

noxiousdog
09-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Deljuan had 3 tackles this preseason. I think a 7 page thread is a little bit of overreacting.

Vinny
09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Deljuan had 3 tackles this preseason. I think a 7 page thread is a little bit of overreacting.
Okoye had 1 (http://www.nfl.com/players/amobiokoye/profile?id=OKO541722) and played more snaps....yer point?

rmartin65
09-10-2009, 12:29 PM
If things go the way most think then we should be drafting in the 20's. (Fingers crossed) Its highly unlikely any of the top DT's last that long unless they have some type of flaw in their game. Of course if we were lucky enough to get a dominating Run stopper like Cody at that point I wouldnt be unhappy.

We should be picking in the 20's, that is correct. However, all the good DT's wont be gone. There are tons of good DT's in the draft, it is obscene. Suh, MCoy, Jones, Austin, Oghobaase, Marsh, and Odrick all have 1st round talent. Add in the safeties, this is a strong draft class. One of those guys will fall.

76Texan
09-10-2009, 01:05 PM

I am not saying I would not take Cody in the 2nd, because I would. He will be an above average run stopper, and that is a need. I just think that this draft class is deep enough that if the top tier DT's are not available the Texans could target another position with a player who will play all 3 downs, or even most of the game, not just 40 plays.Here are some examples:

Yours truly TJ averaged about 27-28 snaps a game last year.

Jags: Henderson averaged just over 40 the last 2 years.
Mier, who is smaller, averaged less than 40.

Vince Wilford (Pats) had about 36 snaps last yr.

Packers:
Johnny Jolly slightly more than 44.
His counterpart Pickett, around 36 snaps.

A good proportion of O-linemen in the SEC are of good size (more D-linemen are undersized as compared to the NFL).

OK, so the last game against VTech, Cody was faced with a small Center Beau Warren. But one of the G who was in on the double team was Sergio Render (319 lbs) and an NFL prospect himself.

76Texan
09-10-2009, 01:07 PM

This whole scenerio reminds me of the year we took Okoye. I wanted Willis BADLY but I wasnt unhappy with the Okoye pick. I am big beleiver in taking BPA. To me BPA usually starts in the trenches. In the last draft I would of taken Oher over Cushing but once again I wasnt unhappy with the pick. Alot just depends on whos available and who can help the team the most.
I agree. We still have a few unsettling positions, not just one.
We may very well go with a safety or a CB in the first round.

rmartin65
09-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Here are some examples:

Yours truly TJ averaged about 27-28 snaps a game last year.

Jags: Henderson averaged just over 40 the last 2 years.
Mier, who is smaller, averaged less than 40.

Vince Wilford (Pats) had about 36 snaps last yr.

Packers:
Johnny Jolly slightly more than 44.
His counterpart Pickett, around 36 snaps.

A good proportion of O-linemen in the SEC are of good size (more D-linemen are undersized as compared to the NFL).

OK, so the last game against VTech, Cody was faced with a small Center Beau Warren. But one of the G who was in on the double team was Sergio Render (319 lbs) and an NFL prospect himself.

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the knowledge, man. I will adjust my rankings accordingly for the nosetackles.

I am still not a fan of Cody though, and what you said about the VT game is why. Against NFL caliber players, he looks average.

badboy
09-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Titles like this should be bannedWhy? It is his opinion and this is a place to present and discuss opinions.

badboy
09-10-2009, 01:26 PM
I really hope we can address the free safety next draft.

badboy
09-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Why are y'all raving about your nuts? Sorry...had shoulder surgery today and still woozy.Well, i don't actually rave about mine, but they have served me well historically.

mussop
09-10-2009, 01:38 PM
We should be picking in the 20's, that is correct. However, all the good DT's wont be gone. There are tons of good DT's in the draft, it is obscene. Suh, MCoy, Jones, Austin, Oghobaase, Marsh, and Odrick all have 1st round talent. Add in the safeties, this is a strong draft class. One of those guys will fall.

Every year at this time people want to proclaim the upcoming draft deap at certain positions. Problem is a couple of the guys you mentioned wont come out and a couple wont live up to the hype and one or more will get hurt or for what ever reason just wont be available. Come back to me in April and tell me this is a deep draft at DT and well talk.

It is very rare for a first round talented DT to last past the teens. They are so hard to find and in such high demand that teams snatch them up early. If there is a DT with a first round grade available in the 20's he will be sporting a flaw that most teams cant overlook. It almost never happens.

badboy
09-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Wow, 6 pages about Okoye and Cody starting. Personally I want to see what a player does when the regular season starts. Pre-season is just to find out who makes the team. The adjustments durring the season will tell how a player is really doing.

QUick note. We have 2 first round draft picks on our starting offense. AJ and Duane Brown. We have 5 first round picks starting on defense, plus the #33 overall pick DeMeco Ryans. We better get some dang results.Aw, you will say the same thing next year when we draft a DT first.

rmartin65
09-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Every year at this time people want to proclaim the upcoming draft deap at certain positions. Problem is a couple of the guys you mentioned wont come out and a couple wont live up to the hype and one or more will get hurt or for what ever reason just wont be available. Come back to me in April and tell me this is a deep draft at DT and well talk.

It is very rare for a first round talented DT to last past the teens. They are so hard to find and in such high demand that teams snatch them up early. If there is a DT with a first round grade available in the 20's he will be sporting a flaw that most teams cant overlook. It almost never happens.

3 of those players are underclassmen, and I am sure that one of them (McCoy) is coming out next year.

This class is deep at DT, it is not just my opinion. Ask anyone.

Most classes dont have this many talented DT's. So yea, it is rare, but not impossible.

barrett
09-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Okoye had 1 (http://www.nfl.com/players/amobiokoye/profile?id=OKO541722) and played more snaps....yer point?

sssssssssssssss

burned you!

did you guys see this?
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb23/brakos82/vlcsnap-2009-09-10-08h59m48s24.png

might explain why our defense suddenly got better after the first snap.

GuerillaBlack
09-10-2009, 01:57 PM
I never even noticed that. Wow.

DocBar
09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Well, i don't actually rave about mine, but they have served me well historically. Unfortunately, mine have served me, well, hysterically. LOL. I love pain medication. As far as this thread goes, I'm sticking with the 3 year rule on drafts and giving Okoye 1 more year to show us what he has. I disagree with starting him, though. He's not better than Robinson and I feel that the best players should start, regardless of draft position, etc.

ubecool454
09-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Deljuan will get a lot of playing time and I expect to see big Frank in there a lot too.

noxiousdog
09-10-2009, 02:28 PM

I'm not so sure Okoye has had more snaps. Seems like I've seen Robinson in every quarter of every game (not every drive to be sure).

I think it more plays to the that are all equally average->bad.

Vinny
09-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm not so sure Okoye has had more snaps. Seems like I've seen Robinson in every quarter of every game (not every drive to be sure).

I think it more plays to the that are all equally average->bad.
I didn't count snaps but I paid close attention to the rotations and I'm positive Okoye had more snaps than Robinson although I'm open to being wrong on this one ;), but he always has played more than Robinson for some reason although Robinson always outplays him.

thetexansUpdated injury report (Walter and Wilson still not practicing): http://www.houstontexans.co... also, since this is the horrible news thread....per twitter (the texans official twitter page (http://twitter.com/thetexans)), Walter and Wilson are still not practicing.

RipTraxx
09-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Was it me or was DelJuan the most productive DT we had?