PDA

View Full Version : No rust for Robinson in first practice

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Some positive flow leading up to Sundays game.

"It felt really good, actually; better than I thought my first day running around with a helmet on would be," Robinson said. "I thought I was going to feel a little rusty, but I felt fine. It was a good start."

Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson, happy to once again line up on the opposite side of the field as Robinson, agreed.

"He looked pretty good," Johnson said. "He looked like he's been out there for a while. You can tell he's definitely been doing some football stuff on his own. It's great to have him back out there."

"As we get out there and play our first game and continue to play throughout the season, I think that's when you'll realize what kind of defense we are," Robinson said. "But the potential for this defense, the sky is the limit. We've got to stay healthy and we live up to that potential, myself and all the other players on this defense.

"This is the first time I actually looked around and I was like, ‘Wow, I think we've got something here.' Now it's about translating it over to the field."

Runner
09-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Sunday should be interesting.

gtexan02
09-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Anyone else feeling like this game may be totally hit or miss? Like we're either going to come out guns blazing and smoke 'em off the field or have another repeat of Steelers game 1 circa 2008?

Kaiser Toro
09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Anyone else feeling like this game may be totally hit or miss? Like we're either going to come out guns blazing and smoke 'em off the field or have another repeat of Steelers game 1 circa 2008?

I have no idea how this game is going to go. Unfortunately, that is within the context of two teams who have no identity and are mediocre with aspirations.

Vinny
09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
cb's are on islands most of the time anyway...so I don't think missing camp is going to hurt him too much. Glad to see he is excited. An excited Dunta is a slobberknocker waiting to happen. I know it sure makes my game day better when I see him take out a FB or makes a wr blow a snot bubble. Pound for pound he is the biggest hitter on this team and I'm pretty darn happy I get to see him play this weekend. :)

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Sunday should be interesting.

Indeed. Its a MUST win for this team. We cannot afford to be 0-1 going into Tenn week 2. If we can get a win this Sunday no matter how ugly, we will give our boys time to start gelling on the D side of the ball with Cush and D-rob yet to play a snap of football. Even without them getting playing time yet, I think they will provide a definite improvement in helping stop the running game this Sunday.

Overall...if we can stay healthy, I think I like might like our prospects on defense after Cush, DRob, Molden, and the rookie CBs get more and more playing time on the field against NFL competition. But we CAN NOT afford to start off slow like last year.

Good news so far on the D-Rob front!

Texan_Bill
09-09-2009, 10:30 AM
cb's are on islands most of the time anyway...so I don't think missing camp is going to hurt him too much. Glad to see he is excited. An excited Dunta is a slobberknocker waiting to happen. I know it sure makes my game day better when I see him take out a FB or makes a wr blow a snot bubble. Pound for pound he is the biggest hitter on this team and I'm pretty darn happy I get to see him play this weekend. :)

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0a6o9lx6XCgLK/520x.jpg

Poor form. His hat is on the wrong side and he left his feet... ;)

Cjeremy635
09-09-2009, 10:52 AM

I think he used to be before his injury. When he came back last year, he was a little tentative to get in there and mix it up, which is totally understandable for what happened to his knee and how it happened. I have no doubt that Dunta will be in shape physically, the question is will he be ready mentally? What made him a great player to me was his ability to throw caution to the wind and launch himself at someone with the intent of laying them out, with no regards to his own safety in the process. He's never been a shut down corner (coverage wise), so if you take his hard nosed hitting out of the equation, what are we really left with? I'm not trying to be a downer, I just need to see him get in there and put the hurt on someone to convince me he's good to go.

Silver Oak
09-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Texans are 4.5 point favs, but I think that may be a little too much. So many variables in this game, along with it being the first game of the season. I think I'll stay away from this one on Sunday as far as wagering.

Hardcore Texan
09-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Color me nervous about this game as well, more specifically about our defense. We have not seen Cushing or Drob play a down all preseason. I am glad it's at home, we got that going for us.

Vinny
09-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I think he used to be before his injury. When he came back last year, he was a little tentative to get in there and mix it up, which is totally understandable for what happened to his knee and how it happened. I have no doubt that Dunta will be in shape physically, the question is will he be ready mentally? What made him a great player to me was his ability to throw caution to the wind and launch himself at someone with the intent of laying them out, with no regards to his own safety in the process. He's never been a shut down corner (coverage wise), so if you take his hard nosed hitting out of the equation, what are we really left with? I'm not trying to be a downer, I just need to see him get in there and put the hurt on someone to convince me he's good to go.He wasn't at full strength so using last year is a poor judge of his play. He was on the field faster than anticipated but it takes longer than that to get your full strength back and confidence in your body post injury.

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
I think he used to be before his injury. When he came back last year, he was a little tentative to get in there and mix it up, which is totally understandable for what happened to his knee and how it happened. I have no doubt that Dunta will be in shape physically, the question is will he be ready mentally? What made him a great player to me was his ability to throw caution to the wind and launch himself at someone with the intent of laying them out, with no regards to his own safety in the process. He's never been a shut down corner (coverage wise), so if you take his hard nosed hitting out of the equation, what are we really left with? I'm not trying to be a downer, I just need to see him get in there and put the hurt on someone to convince me he's good to go.

Sounds like he is just fine in that department.

Will you be ready to start against the Jets?
"I think so, but I'll know more about that situation as the week goes. It won't take long to adjust once I start playing. The first thing I'm going to try to do is let loose on somebody. Just let loose with all I have. I figure the best way to get my body used to it is to hit somebody and let it out. There's not a game that I have played that my body wasn't very sore afterward. That's football. But if my body is going to be sore, I want to make sure somebody else is sore too."

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/09/dunta_robinson_qa_on_physical.html

TimeKiller
09-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Practice? What are we talkin' 'bout here?

We talkin' 'bout practice?

Practice?

Show me in the game that you're not rusty. In the game. The game. In the game that you love to play, that you give your blablabla.....

GAME TIME

JB
09-09-2009, 11:18 AM
practice? What are we talkin' 'bout here?

Practice?

Show me in the game that you're not rusty. In the game. The game. In the game that you love to play, that you give your blablabla.....

Game time

qft

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Tailgate
Some positive flow leading up to Sundays game.

Practice? What are we talkin' 'bout here?

Practice?

GAME TIME

Buzzkill.

TimeKiller
09-09-2009, 11:25 AM
more like truth kill

b0ng
09-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Texans are 4.5 point favs, but I think that may be a little too much.

Home teams get 3 points for being the favorite. Vegas basically saying they lean Texans but not with much confidence.

I get the same feeling this game as I do when the Chiefs came to town in 2007.

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM
more like truth kill

Either way.

TheRealJoker
09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm not too concerned about Dunta having much rust. We are lucky in that our first 4 games we play the Jets, Titans, Jags, and Raiders. 4 teams who are not known for their passing offense.

On that same token we are very unlucky in that we're playing 4 teams who's offensive strength lies in their running game. We caught a break in that Dunta and Reeves will be able to get their legs under them before we have to start playing some good passing offenses like the Cardinals in week 5 but we are very unlucky that our biggest perceived weakness on defense (run defense, particularly up the middle) will be tested in a big way the first 4 games of the season.

We shouldn't be worried about Dunta's rust, we should be worried about Cushing's. He has yet to play an NFL down and is going to be in the starting lineup against some tough running games. We need him to step up in a big way in order for us to start off 3-1.

Runner
09-09-2009, 11:51 AM
We shouldn't be worried about Dunta's rust, we should be worried about Cushing's. He has yet to play an NFL down and is going to be in the starting lineup against some tough running games. We need him to step up in a big way in order for us to start off 3-1.

Good point.

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Absolutely. Not only in the running game, but in his ability to cover Keller.

Vinny
09-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Absolutely. Not only in the running game, but in his ability to cover Keller.Cushing may be fast but Keller is really fast....donno if he can cover him, but I'm sure we'll find out soon.

HOU-TEX
09-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm not too concerned about Dunta having much rust. We are lucky in that our first 4 games we play the Jets, Titans, Jags, and Raiders. 4 teams who are not known for their passing offense.

On that same token we are very unlucky in that we're playing 4 teams who's offensive strength lies in their running game. We caught a break in that Dunta and Reeves will be able to get their legs under them before we have to start playing some good passing offenses like the Cardinals in week 5 but we are very unlucky that our biggest perceived weakness on defense (run defense, particularly up the middle) will be tested in a big way the first 4 games of the season.

To be honest, I'm worried about the entire defense. I just haven't seen enough to make me feel like we're ready to go week 1. There's hardly been any consistancy throughout the preseason and now we're tossing 2 players that haven't played a lick in the mix. Color me skeptical, I reckon.

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Cushing may be fast but Keller is really fast....donno if he can cover him, but I'm sure we'll find out soon.

They love him there in Jet land thats for sure and fully expect this to be his breakout year. This is a big time matchup imo.

TimeKiller
09-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Cushing may be fast but Keller is really fast....donno if he can cover him, but I'm sure we'll find out soon.

If Keller has enough time to win footraces down the field with Cush at least 4 other guys aren't doing their job. Sanchez should be covered in mud in grass by the game's end.

I'm sure Dunta plans on backing up his offseason talk with a season of hellacious hits, decent coverage and fire in his eyes....but PRACTICE ain't cutting it. If anyone was buzzing off of good PRACTICE, I apologize for killing it....

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 12:16 PM
If Keller has enough time to win footraces down the field with Cush at least 4 other guys aren't doing their job. Sanchez should be covered in mud in grass by the game's end.

I'm sure Dunta plans on backing up his offseason talk with a season of hellacious hits, decent coverage and fire in his eyes....but PRACTICE ain't cutting it. If anyone was buzzing off of good PRACTICE, I apologize for killing it....

lol, just positive flow for the game my man. Its not a big deal, but definitely better than hearing he actually HAD a bunch of rust in practice.

If we can prevent Keller from ever getting a pass attempt thrown his way after how ever much time it takes to possibly beat Cush in coverage...due to pressure and sacks.... then our D is gonna be very solid this year.

76Texan
09-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Dunta will get torched for 2 TDs, but the Texans will win 24-17! :fans:

(Even though that could happen)... Nah, I would worry more about the inconsistency of Bennett and the inexperience of the young DBs and Cushing.

So I call on "Vinny figsit" to do his deed and make sure Keller is put in his place. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

TimeKiller
09-09-2009, 12:40 PM
lol, just positive flow for the game my man. Its not a big deal, but definitely better than hearing he actually HAD a bunch of rust in practice.

If we can prevent Keller from ever getting a pass attempt thrown his way after how ever much time it takes to possibly beat Cush in coverage...due to pressure and sacks.... then our D is gonna be very solid this year.

This DLine has way to many resources crammed into it to not be a dominating line. Anything less than constant harrasment is a failure in my book. Sanchez's line of thought should be: "HIKE, SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!"

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
This DLine has way to many resources crammed into it to not be a dominating line. Anything less than constant harrasment is a failure in my book. Sanchez's line of thought should be: "HIKE, SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!"

I hear ya. Unfortunately we still lack the consistent big run stuffing DT play. If they run on us, which is not unlikely... then it will be much more difficult to key in on Sanchez. Its the key to the game imo.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Color me nervous about this game as well, more specifically about our defense. We have not seen Cushing or Drob play a down all preseason. I am glad it's at home, we got that going for us.

As I've said before, color me nervous about all Texans' games.

Including this one.

We're just not complete enough to be consistently dominant at this point.

IBleedTexans
09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
(Even though that could happen)... Nah, I would worry more about the inconsistency of Bennett and the inexperience of the young DBs and Cushing.

^^^^
What's this I heard about jaq being ready by week 1

76Texan
09-09-2009, 01:45 PM

^^^^
What's this I heard about jaq being ready by week 1

I think the plan is for him to be ready week 2,
(especially with Dunta reportedly looking fit).

Kubiak had said it would be a pleasant surprise if Reeves play in game 1.
Anybody heard otherwise?

Double Barrel
09-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Hopefully #23's game against the Jets even has his haters cheering his name by the end. :redtowel:

Dapper
09-09-2009, 03:59 PM
I hear ya. Unfortunately we still lack the consistent big run stuffing DT play. If they run on us, which is not unlikely... then it will be much more difficult to key in on Sanchez. Its the key to the game imo.

true. we should put all efforts into stopping the run first and force dirty sanchez into "must pass" situations. stopping the run is priority #1:texflag:

imatexan
09-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Hopefully #23's game against the Jets even has his haters cheering his name by the end. :redtowel:

I like this kind of thinking.

D-Rob will be ready, as will The Texans.

hookinreds
09-09-2009, 05:14 PM

I get what you're saying but I'd really like it if Dunta had to make as few tackles as possible.

TimeKiller
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
I get what you're saying but I'd really like it if Dunta had to make as few tackles as possible.

Well maybe he should switch to WR then. Seeing as how he's made his name on being a big hitter/great run support on the corner and not in coverage, I'd like for him to earn his 10 mil with as many highlight reel hits as he can get his hat on. Or totally switch gears and pick about 8 balls and return 2 of 'em. Either one as long as it's in a game and not PRACTICE

Goldensilence
09-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Well maybe he should switch to WR then. Seeing as how he's made his name on being a big hitter/great run support on the corner and not in coverage, I'd like for him to earn his 10 mil with as many highlight reel hits as he can get his hat on. Or totally switch gears and pick about 8 balls and return 2 of 'em. Either one as long as it's in a game and not PRACTICE

I think he was insinuating unless Dunta is playing tight in run support it's not a good thing if he's making a ton of tackles.I kind of agree.

TimeKiller
09-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Who said anything about amount?

BorrowMe
09-09-2009, 06:59 PM
From today's practice:

(on his thought on how CB Dunta Robinson played) "He's looked good. He made a couple of nice plays today. He picked off one or two passes."

I think he's set...

76Texan
09-09-2009, 07:09 PM

I'd like for him to make tackles real close to the LOS, in the backfield if possible! :specnatz:

htownballa23
09-09-2009, 07:58 PM
From today's practice:

I think he's set...

Wow, already intercepting those passes. Thats just what we need to hear. I think he should come out pretty strong in the game.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2009, 11:20 PM
From today's practice:

I think he's set...

I'm just hoping those are Orlovsky and Grossman passes and not Schaub passes.

D-Frank
09-09-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm just hoping those are Orlovsky and Grossman passes and not Schaub passes.

LOL me too. same with Cushing int

infantrycak
09-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Either one as long as it's in a game and not PRACTICE

We got it, it's practice. It is also the only thing to consider until they play a game on Sunday. Like someone else said, folks would be jumping on reports of poor performance in practice. This is at least a good sign even if it is PRACTICE.

Texan_Bill
09-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Why we talkin' 'bout practice?

76Texan
09-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Why we talkin' 'bout practice?

'cause there's no game to talk about, whatcha think? :scarygirl:

or should we keep on with the bad news stuff??? http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif