PDA

View Full Version : Grossman Wins #2 Spot

Vinny
09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
# Kubiak just announced after practice that Rex Grossman will be the #2 quarterback vs. the Jets13 minutes ago from TwitterFon. Per Scurf (http://twitter.com/NickScurfield)

HoustonFrog
09-08-2009, 11:46 AM
I wonder how King got this info early...or he is just saying he thinks he beat him out

From MMQB

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/09/06/mmqb/2.html

HOUSTON
Rex Grossman beat out Dan Orlovsky at backup quarterback (I am still blown away by the Al Davis-like contract -- three years, $9.15-million -- the Texans gave to Orlovsky), which is significant because Matt Schaub has missed five games due to injury in each of the last two years.

JDizzle
09-08-2009, 11:47 AM
That's an awful lot of money for a #3.

GP
09-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I guess I need to apologize for laughing at LZ when he said Grossman looked better than Dan AND Matt back in training camp.

Watching the Bucs preseason game, Grossman was decisive and accurate.

Dan is shaky and indecisive.

What a story this is.

rmartin65
09-08-2009, 11:49 AM
That contract for Orlovsky looks pretty bad right now... Shoot.

Grossman is an up and down player, sometimes you get a very good QB, and other times you get a high school player. That makes for a risky backup.

Mr. White
09-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm glad to see a player get a job based on performance instead of his draft position or the size of his contract.

Call me crazy, but I think Kubes just might be able to help Grossman become a successful starter.

Vinny
09-08-2009, 11:52 AM
That contract for Orlovsky looks pretty bad right now... Shoot.

Grossman is an up and down player, sometimes you get a very good QB, and other times you get a high school player. That makes for a risky backup.actually, that makes for a back up. If he was more consistent he would be a starter somewhere.

badboy
09-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Rex impressed me on the field. Danny O simply has potential, a great arm and Kubes saying he can coach him up. If the back up QBs contracts were reversed, I would not be complaining as Grossman looked damn good Friday. If he is gone next year and he might not be, O. should be a much stronger QB going into next season. Schaub could be out quite a bit this season (heaven forbid) & both back ups could get field time.

Texans Pride
09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm glad to see a player get a job based on performance instead of his draft position or the size of his contract.

Call me crazy, but I think Kubes just might be able to help Grossman become a successful starter.

Word!

I was worried that "The Big O" would get the second spot because of the contract. I think this sends a very good message to the entire team: No job is a given, and hard work will be rewarded!

Thorn
09-08-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm not suprised at this, it's fairly obvious who was the better QB. Grossman won't be here next year though if he plays well this season, because we will have to give him more than what's he's making now. There are other teams that will pick him up and pay him more. DanO will be here next year, and will be a much better QB after a year of coaching up.

At least that's how I see it right now. In December this year, we'll all be singing different tunes on just about everything we've said so far in these threads. LOL

HoustonFrog
The thing I always liked about Grossman, even with the Bears, is that he gave their offense a chance to be explosive. He made mistakes and some clunkers but he also caught fire. I think with a back-up you don't necessarily want a guy to lose a game but you don't want a guy who is afraid and who just hands it off. I think Grossman has been in enough games where he can do what is needed to win games.

Texecutioner
Basically the Texans are completely screwed this year if Schaub goes down.

Grossman is just gross.

Vinny
09-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Why do we give such big contracts to guys on spec so often? It's like we are bi polar. We either sign a "proven" guy way past his prime or we sign a guy on pure speculation that he can do something here that he couldn't do elsewhere.

badboy
09-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Why do we give such big contracts to guys on spec so often? It's like we are bi polar. We either sign a "proven" guy way past his prime or we sign a guy on pure speculation that he can do something here that he couldn't do elsewhere.There you go again trying to use common sense and logic... sheesh. :photos:

gtexan02
09-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Why do we give such big contracts to guys on spec so often? It's like we are bi polar. We either sign a "proven" guy way past his prime or we sign a guy on pure speculation that he can do something here that he couldn't do elsewhere.

Dont forget that we won't resign our own proven talent in order to make a point

rmartin65
09-08-2009, 12:24 PM
actually, that makes for a back up. If he was more consistent he would be a starter somewhere.

I would rather have an average QB that is consistent, game after game. With backups you just want a guy who can manage the game, someone who can step in for a game or two (or in Schaub's case, 5 or 6) and the offense can still function. Grossman is hit or miss.

Hervoyel
09-08-2009, 12:27 PM
actually, that makes for a back up. If he was more consistent he would be a starter somewhere.

Exactly. Good Rex like we saw much of the other night is the guy who kept the fans in Chicago thinking that he was almost there but sooner or later Bad Rex would come around and just stink the place up. I think the only question (and it's not much of one really, a thin thread at this point) is whether he's had the coaching he needs. Now that's the same thing we hear about Orlovsky too but with Dan the possibility that he can get better and be coached up is much more likely. Still, maybe Grossman just needed proper coaching to get better. Plummer went to Denver and got better so maybe by the end of the season we're trying to re-sign Grossman and Orlovsky, well I don't know what we do then.

And there I go falling for a good game from Rex Grossman. That's how it starts and the next thing you know he's been around for a couple of years and you're starting to think "This isn't going to change is it?" You would think after David Carr I'd know better.

gtexan02
09-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Exactly. Good Rex like we saw much of the other night is the guy who kept the fans in Chicago thinking that he was almost there but sooner or later Bad Rex would come around and just stink the place up. I think the only question (and it's not much of one really, a thin thread at this point) is whether he's had the coaching he needs. Now that's the same thing we hear about Orlovsky too but with Dan the possibility that he can get better and be coached up is much more likely. Still, maybe Grossman just needed proper coaching to get better. Plummer went to Denver and got better so maybe by the end of the season we're trying to re-sign Grossman and Orlovsky, well I don't know what we do then.

And there I go falling for a good game from Rex Grossman. That's how it starts and the next thing you know he's been around for a couple of years and you're starting to think "This isn't going to change is it?" You would think after David Carr I'd know better.

The nice thing about having him as a backup is that you can coach him up just enough to show flashes of "good rex" and then trade him while his stock is high. After Kubiak was able to turn FA signing Sage into a 4th rounder, I think he got excited and is ready to do it again with Dano and Rex

beerlover
09-08-2009, 12:31 PM
maybe its to showcase where he's @ this stage in his career to shop him around the league for another 4th rounder :barman:

All it takes is for one or two QB's to go down (excluding Schaub or course) & teams could line up in a bidding war (one only hopes). In this case I think it was a prudent move on Kubiaks part to keep three QB's for a change :bender:

TimeKiller
09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I guess DanO is feeling pretty awesome right about now. His contract might be on the big side of dumb but adding that Grossman is making as little as a veteran can possibly make kind of evens it out. In my mind anyway...

As good of a game as Rex had don't forget his first performance was one of injury and a terrible deep throw. And getting yanked. I don't pretend for one second that Grossman has this spot on lockdown, just that right now if Matt is unavailable it's Grossman. DanO still has the rest of that contract with Kubiak, I think he'll be a fine player with more exposure to non-Lion coaching.

infantrycak
09-08-2009, 12:37 PM
So the contract doesn't determine the depth chart.

ChampionTexan
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
So the contract doesn't determine the depth chart.
Bbbbbbut the politics and the finances...

El Tejano
09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
In other news. Dan Orlovsky is making a voodoo doll of Anthony Hill.

Runner
09-08-2009, 12:40 PM
This is a good sign for the Texans. They let the decision be made by the play on the field rather than by who was named before play started, by the contract, or other spurious things.

Hervoyel
09-08-2009, 12:42 PM
He's got a weird kind of career. First three years in the league he has 7 starts and then all of a sudden he starts 16 games, does ok, they go to the Super Bowl (entirely on the strength of just about everyone but him) and then the next year he's starting 8 games and generally stinking it up. The thing is if you look at his numbers the year after their Super Bowl he was pretty much doing about the same thing he did the year before.

He kind of looks to me like a guy who hasn't grown much over the past 6 years. It makes you think "Does he just not get the game at this level (entirely possible) or has he been in the wrong system (also possible).

If it's the first one then there's nothing you can do about it but if it's the second then he should get a lot out of being here with Kubiak and Shanahan and he should flourish in our system. We likely won't see it unless (until) Schaub goes down for a while but if he maintains his hold on the #2 spot all season then I think that will indicate that Kubiak thinks he's on to something.

Brisco_County
09-08-2009, 12:45 PM

I don't think Orlovsky lived up to expectations in the preseason. He looked better in Detroit. He's still a good #3 to develop, even if he's paid too much.

Grossman is an up and down player, sometimes you get a very good QB, and other times you get a high school player. That makes for a risky backup.

Like Rosenfels?

As someone else mentioned, Grossman isn't afraid to make a big play, which is valuable when you have receivers as talented as ours. I don't think Grossman has ever had this kind of talent to work with. Mushin Muhammed at best?

Runner
09-08-2009, 12:47 PM

Dont forget that we won't resign our own proven talent in order to make a point

The team us still on the learning curve. It's going to take more than just improvement in the players to be a contender year after year. The coaches and front office need to figure things out too. If not, the Texans will end up around 8-8 most years with the occasional flash of play-off contention and sucky years mixed in.

euro-Texan
09-08-2009, 01:15 PM
albiet premature, as far as as the big contract goes, if next year is indeed uncapped, and DanO doen't measure out, we can cut him and not take a cap hit, so maybe that is why we signed another veteran QB after we picked him up with that fat contract.

HOU-TEX
09-08-2009, 01:18 PM
IIRC, didn't Sage sign a similar contract with the Vikes? I know they might've signed him as a potential starter, but he is now a backup getting paid 9 mill over 3 years.

:includeme:

Hooston Texan
09-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Long term, this move makes sense if we think Grossman is clearly ahead of Orlovsky. This gives us a year to develop Orlovsky as the backup and he can be our #2 the next two years after Grossman departs (which he almost certainly will).

As for Grossman's revelatory performance, let's remember that it came against the deep backups for a team that has a dark-horse shot at the #1 pick in 2010. So before we go proclaiming that Sexy Rexy is back, let's hold it for a minute.

But, before I give in to realism, allow me to posit the best case scenario (right after we pick up Casey Hampton on waivers from the Steelers): Schaub stays healthy, making the backup debate a purely acadmeic exercise. Grossman's film is good enough that a suddenly desperate team decides to throw a draft pick at us to get him, while Orlovsky fixes the bugs in his game. Then, in the offseason, other fallen QBs start banging on Kubes' door to get their careers resurrected like he did for Rex.

Kaiser Toro
09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Long term, this move makes sense if we think Grossman is clearly ahead of Orlovsky. This gives us a year to develop Orlovsky as the backup and he can be our #2 the next two years after Grossman departs (which he almost certainly will).

As for Grossman's revelatory performance, let's remember that it came against the deep backups for a team that has a dark-horse shot at the #1 pick in 2010. So before we go proclaiming that Sexy Rexy is back, let's hold it for a minute.

But, before I give in to realism, allow me to posit the best case scenario (right after we pick up Casey Hampton on waivers from the Steelers): Schaub stays healthy, making the backup debate a purely acadmeic exercise. Grossman's film is good enough that a suddenly desperate team decides to throw a draft pick at us to get him, while Orlovsky fixes the bugs in his game. Then, in the offseason, other fallen QBs start banging on Kubes' door to get their careers resurrected like he did for Rex.

I would have liked to think that Orlovsky would have been the guy that we could turn over given his measurables and the "Kubiak touch." I am not sure why the Steelers would be interested in our two back ups when they have Batch entrenched, and are playing with Dennis Dixon's versatility.

ArlingtonTexan
09-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I had said earlier in the off-season that I did not think that DanO. would lose unless he was CLEARLY our played by Grossman. I know in the last pre-season game Grossman did so, but it does say something to what's going on in practice with Grossman and orlovsky that this choice was made. I do applaud them for not just making this a political and monetary decision.

barrett
09-08-2009, 01:51 PM
He reminds me of Sage except higher risk as well as higher reward. I'm certainly comfortable with it as of wk 1. Orlovsky is built for this type of offense. If his errors are corrected (and I think they can be) He's a better QB than Grossman hands down. Grossman is who he is.

In my best case scenario Schaub plays 19, Orlovsky becomes a solid 2 and we get a pick for Rex.

JimC
09-08-2009, 02:07 PM
In other news. Dan Orlovsky is making a voodoo doll of Anthony Hill.

That is a beautiful line (and probably true).

In the last game, Orlovsky completed every pass he threw to anyone other than Hill, and lost his job...

barrett
09-08-2009, 02:08 PM
yup.

badboy
09-08-2009, 02:20 PM
When speaking of Rex moving on, someone should discuss what teams would want him. I think he is best served by a team with a decent running game and a stable of very good WR that can make any QB look efficient. A strong O line that moves well to take pressure off an average to good QB. As far as trading him as season moves on and QB drop by wayside, if he continues to develop and show as he did against TB, maybe he would remain with Texans? Forget his past and focus only on his stats after say midseason. Hopefully, he will get minimal plays and in mop up scenarios.

I think there may be few teams who he could sign with that will pay him big bucks. He might choose to remain in this system as did Sage. It is possible O. may command more interest later in this season if he "coaches up". For now, based on the little we have seen, I am ok with both remaining on roster all season.

Hooston Texan
09-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I would have liked to think that Orlovsky would have been the guy that we could turn over given his measurables and the "Kubiak touch." I am not sure why the Steelers would be interested in our two back ups when they have Batch entrenched, and are playing with Dennis Dixon's versatility.

I only made the Casey Hampton comment as a jest about hopeful-case-scenario's by referencing the one-day thread last week where we were all hoping/speculating/theorizing that we might get Hampton given his contract issue in Pittsburgh. Wasn't intending to suggest we could trade Rex for Hampton.

As I was typing that last sentence, the opening strains of Mr. Preposterous Trade Proposer started going through my head.

JimC
09-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure why so many people are fretting over the Orlovsky contract. The NFL salary cap is nearly $130 million, so the average among all 53 players is over $2 million per year. An average salary of $3 million is a little over 2% of the cap.

Given the importance of backup QB -- especially for the Texans -- and the high cost of QBs in general, $3 million per year isn't a huge contract. In fact, I wouldn't have a problem with giving another $3 million a year to Grossman and keeping both of them for multiple years.

That $6 million is a little more than Anthony Weaver is counting against the cap this year, and he's gone! I'd much rather have 3 QBs that I thought I could win with, even if the extra two cost $6 million a year (5% of the salary cap).

In recent years, the backup QB has largely decided the outcome of 5 games per year. How many other $3 - $6 million investments could have that much impact?

Kaiser Toro
09-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I only made the Casey Hampton comment as a jest about hopeful-case-scenario's by referencing the one-day thread last week where we were all hoping/speculating/theorizing that we might get Hampton given his contract issue in Pittsburgh. Wasn't intending to suggest we could trade Rex for Hampton.

As I was typing that last sentence, the opening strains of Mr. Preposterous Trade Proposer started going through my head.

It was certainly directional, but as the Bud Light-spots say, "integrity is over rated."
:shades:

Kaiser Toro
09-08-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure why so many people are fretting over the Orlovsky contract. The NFL salary cap is nearly $130 million, so the average among all 53 players is over $2 million per year. An average salary of $3 million is a little over 2% of the cap.

Given the importance of backup QB -- especially for the Texans -- and the high cost of QBs in general, $3 million per year isn't a huge contract. In fact, I wouldn't have a problem with giving another $3 million a year to Grossman and keeping both of them for multiple years.

That $6 million is a little more than Anthony Weaver is counting against the cap this year, and he's gone! I'd much rather have 3 QBs that I thought I could win with, even if the extra two cost $6 million a year (5% of the salary cap).

In recent years, the backup QB has largely decided the outcome of 5 games per year. How many other $3 - $6 million investments could have that much impact?

For me it was not 3m dollars, it was Orlovsky getting 3m dollar per year. Outside of that I like your line of thinking.

dalemurphy
09-08-2009, 02:29 PM
For me it was not 3m dollars, it was Orlovsky getting 3m dollar per year. Outside of that I like your line of thinking.

The point is that the Orlovsky contract will not handicap this team's ability to sign or re-sign free agents. Therefore, unless you are Bob McNair, why do you care?

HOU-TEX
09-08-2009, 02:30 PM
That is a beautiful line (and probably true).

In the last game, Orlovsky completed every pass he threw to anyone other than Hill, and lost his job...

The INT was basically the same mistake Dan O made the game before. It wasn't completely Hill's fault. The ball should've never been thrown his way to begin with. Sure, the ball hit Hill's hands, but it was thrown behind him and he was covered very well.

Apparently, making the same mistake two games in a row doesn't sit well with Kubiak and rightfully so.

JimC
09-08-2009, 02:36 PM
The point is that the Orlovsky contract will not handicap this team's ability to sign or re-sign free agents. Therefore, unless you are Bob McNair, why do you care?

Exactly. Money on a good backup QB isn't wasted, it is invested. This is a small investment, and doesn't impact the big investments.

Despite carrying over $12 million in dead money, franchising their CB, and carrying 3 QBs who have started for NFL teams, the Texans have over $10 million in cap space right now. They could bring in a big-time free agent or resign their own players without having cap problems.

Their biggest problem is no longer cap trouble; their biggest problem is deciding who to cut to make room for Dunta.

JimC
09-08-2009, 02:43 PM
The INT was basically the same mistake Dan O made the game before. It wasn't completely Hill's fault. The ball should've never been thrown his way to begin with. Sure, the ball hit Hill's hands, but it was thrown behind him and he was covered very well.

Apparently, making the same mistake two games in a row doesn't sit well with Kubiak and rightfully so.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the Grossman decision. Orlovsky tried to rifle a ball into a tight opening in traffic, knowing that the guy he was throwing to was drafted for his blocking ability and not his catching ability. He made a big mistake and hurt the team.

Still, Hill didn't do anyone any favors either. The team was looking at him as a receiving tight end, and I suspect they have decided to just let him block for a while.

The bottom line is that Orlovsky hasn't been terrible, Grossman has been more successful, and both are legit backups. I am hopeful that within a few weeks the Texans will have 3 QBs that can win games.

Kaiser Toro
09-08-2009, 02:46 PM
The point is that the Orlovsky contract will not handicap this team's ability to sign or re-sign free agents.

I get the point, but I am not sure you got the rest of the dialogue you quoted.

thunderkyss
09-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Think of him like a 3rd round draft pick.

HouSportsWriter
09-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Texans quarterback Matt Schaub returned to practice Tuesday, though it's not clear whether he will start against the New York Jets in Sunday's season opener.

Schaub took half the snaps in practice, his first significant work since he suffered the injury during a Aug. 31 preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings. He is listed as day-to-day.

"He took a big step forward (Tuesday)," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "He's progressing toward getting ready to go, so it's a positive move forward for him."

Kubiak stopped short of saying Schaub, who has missed five games in each of the last two seasons with injuries, would start against the Jets. The coach did announce that Rex Grossman would be Houston's No. 2 quarterback this week.

Grossman, who led the Chicago Bears to the Super Bowl in the 2006 season, overtook Dan Orlovsky in the competition to back up Schaub after throwing two touchdown passes in the Texans' preseason finale. Orlovsky, a seven-game starter for the Detroit Lions last season, was scheduled to be the backup before Grossman's recent performance, which came after he missed two weeks of action because of an injury.

so grossman may get the start.......

way to start the season yes? :voodoo:

Thorn
09-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Oh good lord. Quick, someone delete this thread. I don't even what to think about this.

HouSportsWriter
09-08-2009, 05:33 PM
oh yah i got this info off of

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81274ae3&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

TheRealJoker
09-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Methinks Kubiak doesn't want to say one way or another until he has to give the NFL the official injury report because he wants the Jets to have to practice without knowing who will be under center on Sunday.

Personally, if Schaub took any reps today, I think he's gonna be starting on Sunday. Its a good coaching move to keep the opposing team wondering :)

HouSportsWriter
09-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Methinks Kubiak doesn't want to say one way or another until he has to give the NFL the official injury report because he wants the Jets to have to practice without knowing who will be under center on Sunday.

Personally, if Schaub took any reps today, I think he's gonna be starting on Sunday. Its a good coaching move to keep the opposing team wondering :)

hides behind bushs...imbarrised to show my face here ever agin

SheTexan
09-08-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't know what to say. Well, I DO know what to say but it might not be appropriate for all to see. I'll put it simple!! WRAP THE DAMN THING UP AND LETS PLAY BALL!!!!! Geeeeeezzzzz!!!

HouSportsWriter
09-08-2009, 05:37 PM
:worthless: take out without pics! and thats how im fealing

brakos82
09-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Oh good lord. Quick, someone delete this thread. I don't even what to think about this.

This. :wild:

gary
09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
If Matt has health problems again this season then it's time to draft a QB and move on I'm just being real here folks.

HouSportsWriter
09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
This. :wild:

:gun::gun::gun:

Thorn
09-08-2009, 05:42 PM
If Matt has health problems again this season then it's time to draft a QB and move on I'm just being real here folks.

Something tells me that isn't going to be a whole of of folks here who would disagree with that Gary. 1st season bad luck (maybe), 2nd season illegal hits, 3rd season for any reason is a pattern.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

gary
09-08-2009, 05:45 PM
McCoy is out there I'm not saying I'm just saying. So is Tebow.

disaacks3
09-08-2009, 05:48 PM
This is trying to insert comments where none were given (by Kubiak). This is nothing more than an update by Kubiak. Ayone expecting Schaub to come off the D2D injury list this far out was kidding themselves.

Unless Schaub has something worse than a sprained ankle, he'll be the starter...take it to the bank.

Tailgate
09-08-2009, 05:50 PM
There is zero chance Schaub does not start this Sunday. End Thread.

JCTexan
09-08-2009, 05:51 PM
McCoy is out there I'm not saying I'm just saying. So is Tebow.

I like Tebow, and think he's a great college QB, but I don't see him doing good in the pros. If the Texans are put in that situation I hope they pass on him.

Double Barrel
09-08-2009, 05:52 PM
What is the over/under of Schaub starting all 16 games this season? Just curious.

False Start
09-08-2009, 05:53 PM
I think Schaub will start. You could tell he was pi$$ed when he hurt his ankle, and really wanted to go back out there and try and prove something. You would think the guy has some sort of pride and wants to shed the "fragile" tag.

He should however wear a special patch on his jersey just in case.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/cat22.gif

;)

disaacks3
09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
What is the over/under of Schaub starting all 16 games this season? Just curious.
We ought to start a thread (on the over/under) w/ a poll in it...increments of only 1 or 2 games. I HOPE it's all 16, but I sure wouldn't put any $$ on it.

gary
09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
I like Tebow, and think he's a great college QB, but I don't see him doing good in the pros. If the Texans are put in that situation I hope they pass on him.How about Sam or Colt?

False Start
09-08-2009, 05:57 PM

I wonder if you can place a bet on that in Vegas? :heh:

Thorn
09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Right now, Schaub has to prove he can play all 16 games, not the other way around. Ya can't fight history. While I hope he plays all 16 games and leads us to the promised land, I wouldn't put 2 cents on that happening.

We might still make the playoffs this year, but I have zero confidence that Schaub will play all 16 games.

gary
09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I wonder if you can place a bet on that in Vegas? :heh:My dad is there right now visting family I'll give him a call and ask him to place a bet on it. LOL

False Start
09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
My dad is there right now visting family I'll give him a call and ask him to place a bet on it. LOL

Let us know....... :cool:

Texan_Bill
09-08-2009, 06:06 PM

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

GO hit the books!!! :wild:

And finally this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

gary
09-08-2009, 06:08 PM
If he wins though when he gets home I get all the money though.

MojoMan
09-08-2009, 06:12 PM
John McClain reports:

Texans QB Schaub back at practice (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6607893.html)
Rex Grossman is named as backup

Tuesday was a good day for Texans quarterbacks Matt Schaub and Rex Grossman.

Schaub, who suffered a sprained ankle in the third preseason game against Minnesota, returned to practice, and, barring any setbacks, looks as if he’ll be able to start Sunday’s opener against the New York Jets.

Grossman, who was 9-of-16 for 197 yards and two touchdowns in Friday’s victory at Tampa Bay, was named as Schaub’s backup over Dan Orlovsky.

Schaub has been getting treatment 24-7.

“He took a big step forward today,” coach Gary Kubiak said after practice. “He took half the reps in practice, so he’s progressing toward getting ready to go.

“Rex will be our No. 2 going into the game. As I told Dan and Rex, ‘I’m leaning towards Rex’s experience and the way he’s handled himself and the way he handled the team (at Tampa Bay).’

“I’m just very comfortable with him right now. Matt has been hobbled, so they both need to be ready to go.”

Showtime100
09-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Right now, Schaub has to prove he can play all 16 games, not the other way around. Ya can't fight history. While I hope he plays all 16 games and leads us to the promised land, I wouldn't put 2 cents on that happening.

We might still make the playoffs this year, but I have zero confidence that Schaub will play all 16 games.

Agree. I give the chances at about 10-to-1. If Vegas offered those odds I'd wait for the line to go higher. MAybe 20-to-1 would get me to bite.

C Madd
09-08-2009, 06:58 PM
From Houston Chronicle's Twitter:
"QB Matt Schaub (ankle) returned to practice Tuesday and is expected to start Sunday's opener vs. NY Jets."

http://twitter.com/ChronicleTexans/statuses/3847746931

Texecutioner
09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Where are all of those people that said we would be crazy to make a trade for Jay Cutler because we already have injury riddled Schaub?? Schaub's an injury waiting to happen. Even if he stays healthy this year, he'll probably get hurt again next year. Our future is not looking good with an injury prone QB right now.

eriadoc
09-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Each of the last two seasons, Matt Schaub has played 11 games. If the over/under is set to 13 this season, do you take the over or the under?

:hides:

brakos82
09-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Where are all of those people that said we would be crazy to make a trade for Jay Cutler because we already have injury riddled Schaub?? Schaub's an injury waiting to happen. Even if he stays healthy this year, he'll probably get hurt again next year. Our future is not looking good with an injury prone QB right now.

Hey, what's Jake Plummer doing? :tomato:

barrett
09-08-2009, 07:24 PM
he was at the playboy mansion on an episode of Art Mann presents.

Goldensilence
09-08-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm sure he'll start this week, but that already plants some doubt that he'll be able to go all 16 games this year. I do think it's kind of good though to have the Jet's unable to completely prepare for Schaub to start, and with Rex as the backup you have to prepare defensively for the good or bad Rex showing up. Kind of like having to prepare for 3 QBs!

If Schaub does only manage 11 starts again this year, time to pull the plug. I think we have two capable prospects behind Schaub so we don't have to invest a high draft pick on a QB. I can't help wonder had we known Miami was so enamored with Ginn Jr's speed would we have paid out the two 2nds on Schaub and instead drafted Quinn.

TexansFanatic
09-08-2009, 07:36 PM

Agree 1000%. If the guy injures himself running out of bounds and misses the first game of the season then the debate is over and he is officially injury prone and the Texans need a more reliable first option at QB.

Pantherstang84
09-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Man this board is getting way too predictable.:photos:

brakos82
09-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Man this board is getting way too predictable.:photos:
Quick! Start a "Fire Shanny Jr." thread and see what happens! http://www.stadiumrejects.net/images/smilies/omg.gif

houstonhurricane
09-08-2009, 07:45 PM

This.

Fred
09-08-2009, 08:01 PM
How about Sam or Colt?
Not Sam. He got injured. No QB who has ever been injured is acceptable to this board. Not Rex either. He missed 2 preseason games with an injury. Schaub only missed one that he wasn't going to play in anyway and 90% of the people here find that unacceptable. Oh, and Schaub will start against the Jets unless his leg falls completely off.

eriadoc
09-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Not Sam. He got injured. No QB who has ever been injured is acceptable to this board. Not Rex either. He missed 2 preseason games with an injury. Schaub only missed one that he wasn't going to play in anyway and 90% of the people here find that unacceptable. Oh, and Schaub will start against the Jets unless his leg falls completely off.

It's not the start I'm worried about - it's the finish.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2009, 08:07 PM

If so, more importantly, are you giving him a 100% chance for finishing the game? I'm not.

awtysst
09-08-2009, 08:09 PM

Jay Cutler was the product of an inept Defense last year. He threw for a ton of yards because he had to, his D was so bad that they needed tremendous amounts of offense. Watch how his stats will fall this year in Chicago.

My other BIG criticism of Cutler is that he turns the ball over a lot by way of INTs and fumbles.

2006:9 touchdowns:10 turnovers
2007:21 touchdowns:21 turnovers
2008:27 touchdowns:22 turnovers
Career:57 touchdowns:53 turnovers

in comparison, Schaub and Rosencopter from last year:
Schaub: 17 touchdowns:14turnovers=1.2
Rosencopter:6 touchdowns:12 turnovers=0.5

Schaub compares pretty favorably as he has slightly more tds than turnovers. One thing that was criticized about our QB play was turning the ball over. While Rosencopter certainly did that a lot, so did Schaub. Cutler might start more, but he gives the ball away far too much.

Trust me, I saw every game that Cutler was in last year and I can say that he is vastly overrated. By the way, here are the stats of a guy who should be talked about as a good QB and isn't.

34 touchdowns:19 turnovers=1.7

By the way, his name is Phillip Rivers.

nunusguy
09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I like Tebow, and think he's a great college QB, but I don't see him doing good in the pros. If the Texans are put in that situation I hope they pass on him.
Actually wouldn't Tebow be a very good fit for the WC offense ?

Runner
09-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm gobsmacked. Who could have seen this coming?

awtysst
09-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Well aside from the fact that he doesn't make reads, is eager to tuck and run, his not accurate on intermediary routes, has a Leftwich style LOOOOOOOONG release, comes from a program known for suspect Pro QBs, and was coached by the same guy that coached up Alex Smith, then yeah, he'd be a great fit for the WC offense!

Dapper
09-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Matt will start all the games this year and he will be a pro bowler this year as well.

you heard it here first.

that's right: Matt Schaub = Pro Bowl

Silver Oak
09-08-2009, 09:29 PM
McCoy in a Texans uni?

:bag:

Joe Texan
09-08-2009, 09:30 PM
that is a Dapper statement

thunderwolf
09-08-2009, 09:49 PM
McCoy in a Texans uni?

:bag:

I actually don't think that's a ridiculous idea. I'm a huge Matt Schaub fan, but if he is out this year for any amount of time then I think the Texans have to look towards the future. This draft class is a deep one, and I think that McCoy is rated below Bradford, Tebow and Snead.

Speedy
09-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Are you people freaking serious??? Schaub doesn't take full reps in practice before the FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON and you're throwing in the towel and actually starting up this UT BS again????

God I hate that freaking school!!

IN ORDER TO GET COLT WE HAVE TO GO 2-14 AGAIN!!!!!

WTF??!!!!!

Pantherstang84
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
This is some funny stuff folks. Keep it coming.

m5kwatts
09-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Didn't Schaub come back into the game and play on this injury for a few snaps? I think anything short of him losing a limb, Schaub will keep himself on the field... He has to silence every critic who brings up his injury past any time they comment on him

Ryan
09-08-2009, 11:01 PM
schaub will be playing this sunday. he better be, or people will be out for him.

ObsiWan
09-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Texans quarterback Matt Schaub returned to practice Tuesday, though it's not clear whether he will start against the New York Jets in Sunday's season opener.

so grossman may get the start.......

http://inspirationinc.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/church_lady.jpg

Well....
Isn't that special?

Texecutioner
09-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Jay Cutler was the product of an inept Defense last year. He threw for a ton of yards because he had to, his D was so bad that they needed tremendous amounts of offense. Watch how his stats will fall this year in Chicago.

My other BIG criticism of Cutler is that he turns the ball over a lot by way of INTs and fumbles.

2006:9 touchdowns:10 turnovers
2007:21 touchdowns:21 turnovers
2008:27 touchdowns:22 turnovers
Career:57 touchdowns:53 turnovers

in comparison, Schaub and Rosencopter from last year:
Schaub: 17 touchdowns:14turnovers=1.2
Rosencopter:6 touchdowns:12 turnovers=0.5

Schaub compares pretty favorably as he has slightly more tds than turnovers. One thing that was criticized about our QB play was turning the ball over. While Rosencopter certainly did that a lot, so did Schaub. Cutler might start more, but he gives the ball away far too much.

Trust me, I saw every game that Cutler was in last year and I can say that he is vastly overrated. By the way, here are the stats of a guy who should be talked about as a good QB and isn't.

34 touchdowns:19 turnovers=1.7

By the way, his name is Phillip Rivers.

Cutler is NOT overrated by any means. Hell, the guy's only lost like one game last year where his defense gave up under 23 points. His defense was horrible and he was forced to throw the ball a lot and other teams knew it.

He'll be a very good QB for the Bears for many years. He might not have great numbers for a year or two until they get some real talent at WR, but he'll be a good QB this year for them. The guy's arm is better than anyone's in the league right now in my opinion. His release is great, he throws on the run better than anyone, and he can fit passes in tight holes very very neatly.

Oh, and one more thing, HE STAYS ON THE FIELD. Something Schuab really needs to learn how to do.

I agree with you about Phillip Rivers. He's very good and continues to get better.

pbat488
09-09-2009, 01:22 AM
I actually don't think that's a ridiculous idea. I'm a huge Matt Schaub fan, but if he is out this year for any amount of time then I think the Texans have to look towards the future. This draft class is a deep one, and I think that McCoy is rated below Bradford, Tebow and Snead.

If our QBs go catatonic this year and we have to draft a QB, I'm pulling for Snead. Watching him compared to the others I get the sense he will have the best NFL career. Bradford is the only other one I would consider to QB an NFL team.

Well aside from the fact that he doesn't make reads, is eager to tuck and run, his not accurate on intermediary routes, has a Leftwich style LOOOOOOOONG release, comes from a program known for suspect Pro QBs, and was coached by the same guy that coached up Alex Smith, then yeah, he'd be a great fit for the WC offense!

That made me laugh hahaha.

Tebow should transition to FB/HB in NFL, Miami will take him in 1st round to run the Wildcat.

Malloy
09-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Matt will start all the games this year and he will be a pro bowler this year as well.

Im willing to make that bet too! :)

DutchTexan
09-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Deja-vu, Deja-vu :hairpull:

But to be honest, imho Grossman played a great match against the Bucs. I'm sure he'll make us proud against the Jets too!

Goldensilence
09-09-2009, 02:15 AM
If our QBs go catatonic this year and we have to draft a QB, I'm pulling for Snead. Watching him compared to the others I get the sense he will have the best NFL career. Bradford is the only other one I would consider to QB an NFL team.

That made me laugh hahaha.

Tebow should transition to FB/HB in NFL, Miami will take him in 1st round to run the Wildcat.

The wildcat is a wrinkle formation for an offense. I know Chad Penington is a guy that's not going to sling the ball around but, he doesn't get enough credit for being a big reason why Miami turned around last year. All people know is they run the wildcat formation maybe 4 offensive plays a game.

I think the biggest reason Tebow stayed this year was the knocks on his game that Awtysst talked about. Physically the guy has the tools but this he's going to have to prove he can step back and operate in the pocket more effectively.

I also think between Grossman and Dan O getting snaps in the offense this year we wouldn't HAVE to draft a QB high anyway.

pbat488
09-09-2009, 03:12 AM
The wildcat is a wrinkle formation for an offense. I know Chad Penington is a guy that's not going to sling the ball around but, he doesn't get enough credit for being a big reason why Miami turned around last year. All people know is they run the wildcat formation maybe 4 offensive plays a game.

I think the biggest reason Tebow stayed this year was the knocks on his game that Awtysst talked about. Physically the guy has the tools but this he's going to have to prove he can step back and operate in the pocket more effectively.

I know, I meant it as a dig at Miami at for their infatuation with that formation, I guess I didn't sell it enough.

Tailgate
09-09-2009, 06:47 AM
If so, more importantly, are you giving him a 100% chance for finishing the game? I'm not.

Can't do that for any player in the league. But you better believe that Schaub, whos entire off season has revolved around playing all 16 games this season, will not let a sore ankle from running out of bounds a couple weeks ago in a preseason game keep him from starting week 1.

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Can't do that for any player in the league. But you better believe that Schaub, whos entire off season has revolved around playing all 16 games this season, will not let a sore ankle from running out of bounds a couple weeks ago in a preseason game keep him from starting week 1.

............if it's only a "sore ankle"................

Texan_Bill
09-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I sign off more than 13 hours ago and this thread is still going???????

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Kaiser Toro
09-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Schaub will start the game. McCoy will win the Heisman, UT will win the mythical championship. Bradford, McCoy will be nice back up QBs in the NFL, and Tebow will attempt to play TE/Hback before retiring and getting into politics.

Threads dead baby, threads dead.

Vinny
09-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Schaub will start the game. McCoy will win the Heisman, UT will win the mythical championship. Bradford, McCoy will be nice back up QBs in the NFL, and Tebow will attempt to play TE/Hback before retiring and getting into politics.

Threads dead baby, threads dead.Kubiak stated clearly that Grossman will be the number 2 QB in the JETS game, so I merged.

jlam
09-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Are you guys telling me that we're a mere Schaub ankle tweak away from the glorious return of the Sex Cannon?

And more than one person here isn't scared ****less about it? You guys thought Rosencopter was mercurial.....

WesmanTexanfan
09-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Are you guys telling me that we're a mere Schaub ankle tweak away from the glorious return of the Sex Cannon?

And more than one person here isn't scared ****less about it? You guys thought Rosencopter was mercurial.....

IM not going to lie, I am absolutly thrilled about Sexy Rexy as our back up, with all our other Offensive weapons he can just hand off and chunk bombs, and im ok with that.....

Dread-Head
09-09-2009, 02:49 PM
The SAME Grossman who GAVE the undeserving Eli Manning a Superbowl ring by playing like a blindfolded, drunken Reeses Monkey on crack? THAT Rex Grossman? Yeah...we NEEDED that guy.

mariowillshine15
09-09-2009, 02:53 PM
The SAME Grossman who GAVE the undeserving Eli Manning a Superbowl ring by playing like a blindfolded, drunken Reeses Monkey on crack? THAT Rex Grossman? Yeah...we NEEDED that guy.

You mean Peyton Manning right?

Yea Rex was so bad in that game he should of been named MVP, the colts didnt need to do much of anything.

Im happy with Rex as the backup though. He has the arm and never had the weapons in Chicago that he has now. If he makes good decions he will be good.

rollinstone18
09-09-2009, 02:53 PM
nvm.