PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby on the trading block?

m5kwatts
09-06-2009, 12:27 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-3356.html

HOUSTON — Matt Bowen’s boys will be looking for another defensive tackle to help beef up their front. They were shopping wide receiver Jacoby Jones most of Saturday but found no takers.

After his play this preseason I'm a bit surprised, he seems to be making the strides expected of him... he's made some big time plays and tough catches and is starting to break off some good routes as well.. of course this could be Lombardi BS too

texanskan
09-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Bob Allen was saying they were trying to move him but I would hold on to him. Jacoby seems like he is getting his act together.

m5kwatts
09-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I think it shows they really didn't want to carry 6 receivers and Martinez contributed too much to cut

Carr Bombed
09-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I think it shows that the FO and coaching staff doesn't hold as high of a opinion of Jacoby Jones that some posters on this board do and since there were no takers what so ever on the trade offer.......apparently nobody else around the league does either.

steelbtexan
09-06-2009, 12:53 PM
They were probably looking to move him for a DT or S

Malloy
09-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Trade JJ asap!

Sincerely,
Malloys ticker

m5kwatts
09-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I think it shows that the FO and coaching staff doesn't hold as high of a opinion of Jacoby Jones that some posters on this board do and since there were no takers what so ever on the trade offer.......apparently nobody else around the league does either.

If the FO and coaching staff has such a low opinion on him how come they didn't settle on a 7th round pick or just release him?

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
They may have a very good opinion of him, but.............a very good (established ) DT may carry a very hefty price tag.

Carr Bombed
09-06-2009, 01:01 PM
If the FO and coaching staff has such a low opinion on him how come they didn't settle on a 7th round pick or just release him?

Because he still has value to the team. (more value than a 7th rounder) However you have people on this board that think he's our 2nd (or even 3rd) best receiver....that simply isn't the case. Right now as far as "strictly receiving" goes (route running, ect.) he could even be behind the guy they found a spot for......Glenn Martinez, but Jacoby is one of the best punt returners so he has value there.

hookinreds
09-06-2009, 01:02 PM
I think it shows they really didn't want to carry 6 receivers and Martinez contributed too much to cut

I liked what I saw out of Martinez as well. My buddy is a Bronco fan so I had seen him a number of times in the past and thought he had the talent to help a team. JJ's has improved his WR skills and maybe the FO was thinking someone might have noticed. There are teams out there that need WRs in a bad way, just maybe not with something that we wanted in return.

NitroGSXR
09-06-2009, 01:04 PM
If true then this is the Texans way of cutting loose of a failed experiment. It's being held together by scotch tape right now with all his preseason glory. We need to get him traded off before another punter takes his confidence (c'mon now let's be honest manhood should be the word) away again.

m5kwatts
09-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Because he still has value to the team. (more value than a 7th rounder) However you have people on this board that think he's our 2nd (or even 3rd) best receiver....that simply isn't the case. Right now as far as "strictly receiving" goes (route running, ect.) he could even be behind the guy they found a spot for......Glenn Martinez, but Jacoby is one of the best punt returners so he has value there.

Jacoby made more plays as a receiver in PS than Martinez and he made bigger plays... With a vertical passing game like we have its good to have depth as far as receivers with speed... the 2 Andre's and Jacoby are probably the best 3 vertical receiving combination in the league

Thats not to say I don't like Martinez though... I'm completely comfortable with him in there running routes, I like his ability and his special teams prowess is what makes him most valuable to the team

Wolf6151
09-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Martinez was better that Jones and deserves the roster spot. The only time Jacoby has shown any development and improvement was this years preseason when he knew his butt was on the chopping block. I don't want a player who collects a pay check and only plays well when his jobs on the line. As for the trade throw in Chaun Thompson as well to sweeten the deal and then pluck Marcus Freeman from the waiver wire. We'd improve vastly at 2 spots at the same time. As long as the trade is for a DT or SS, I'm all for it.

Carr Bombed
09-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Jacoby made more plays as a receiver in PS than Martinez and he made bigger plays... With a vertical passing game like we have its good to have depth as far as receivers with speed... the 2 Andre's and Jacoby are probably the best 3 vertical receiving combination in the league

Thats not to say I don't like Martinez though... I'm completely comfortable with him in there running routes, I like his ability and his special teams prowess is what makes him most valuable to the team

Glenn Martinez was much more consistent throughout training camp and he runs MUCH crisper routes.....he also does a better job at catching the ball away from his body, whereas Jacoby lets the ball get in on him. Jacoby IS more athletic though and had a hell of a game in the last preseason game, if he can build on that and carry that kind of play over to the games that matter, he'll have no problems

TheRealJoker
09-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Jacoby has value to this team but our deepest position is WR and he's basically a luxury if Andre Davis or someone else can also return punts.

It doesn't hurt that we shop him around to try to strengthen one of our weaker units (I assume we were looking at DT or safety) in order to increase our chances to make a run at the playoffs this season. Rick Smith's job is to try and improve this team at all times, if it means we've gotta trade our PR to get a better safety or a better DT then I am all for it.

Marcus
09-06-2009, 01:43 PM
So what teams are hurting for wide receivers?

And no, don't trade him to a team in our own division where he can come back and bite us in the ass twice a year. Pleeeeeese!

TheRealJoker
09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
So what teams are hurting for wide receivers?

And no, don't trade him to a team in our own division where he can come back and bite us in the ass twice a year. Pleeeeeese!

Ravens are only carrying 4 right now and their defenses are usually decent :)

m5kwatts
09-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Ravens are only carrying 4 right now and their defenses are usually decent :)

Trevor Pryce, Justin Bannin, heck even Zbikowski would be an upgrade over Ferguson

Mr. White
09-06-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't see the upside of keeping the guy around at this point. He just hasn't performed to his potential. As a matter of fact, he's regressed as a WR and PR.

He's might be a threat to score a touchdown, but first he's got to be able to field a punt.

His receiving skills are suspect as well. Not only has he been passed up by David Anderson, but he's in the process of being passed up by Glenn Martinez.

Cut bait already.

nunusguy
09-06-2009, 03:20 PM
They may have a very good opinion of him, but.............a very good (established ) DT may carry a very hefty price tag.
Exactly.
Usually you've got to give value to receive value, and they have needs at
DT (and in the DB), while on the other hand they have the luxury of strength and depth at WR.

Hottoddie
09-06-2009, 03:23 PM
How reliable is this site? I haven't heard of this anywhere else.

m5kwatts
09-06-2009, 03:34 PM
How reliable is this site? I haven't heard of this anywhere else.

Its Michael Lombardi reporting it... gleam what you will

Hottoddie
09-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Its Michael Lombardi reporting it... gleam what you will

I guess I'm ignorant of the guy. What is his track record for accurate reporting? Or, is he known more as a rumor monger? I've never followed his work before. Just looking for a little info here.

m5kwatts
09-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I guess I'm ignorant of the guy. What is his track record for accurate reporting? Or, is he known more as a rumor monger? I've never followed his work before. Just looking for a little info here.

He's pretty well in tune with whats going on as far as league activity and whatnot from what I've heard, he's a former front office guy so he's in the loop... I'm not a fan of his opinion articles though, he's a bit screwy in his thinking (he's a former Raider employee)

hradhak
09-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Glenn Martinez is a good route runner. He runs the 10 yard button hook / out route very well. JJ did run some good routes against TB with some good catches. I think the Texans were probably shopping him around since the TB game he showed promise and that could lead to a team with few WR threats to bite on him. I'm indifferent to him being traded though if it means we get a CB, S, or D lineman for him.

prostock101
09-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Trade him while he has value before he implodes in a real game. And you know it's coming. Martinez is a much better receiver. JJ, not so much. You watch, the first time he gets plowed on a crossing route, he'll go back to being tentative and fumbling the ball.

DexmanC
09-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Trade him while he has value before he implodes in a real game. And you know it's coming. Martinez is a much better receiver. JJ, not so much. You watch, the first time he gets plowed on a crossing route, he'll go back to being tentative and fumbling the ball.

That happened early in a preseason game, and he jumped up like it was no big
deal. Let the kid play his THIRD SEASON, before you call him a bust.

NitroGSXR
09-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Glenn Martinez is a good route runner. He runs the 10 yard button hook / out route very well. JJ did run some good routes against TB with some good catches. I think the Texans were probably shopping him around since the TB game he showed promise and that could lead to a team with few WR threats to bite on him. I'm indifferent to him being traded though if it means we get a CB, S, or D lineman for him.

You really think we need to focus on CB? I know they're not the best duo in the league but they're definitely very capable. I think we've got more pressing needs at this moment. We're letting rushers go nuts on us. Even if we do decide to trade Jones for a CB. It can't be for one who would upsurp Reeves or robinson. It'd cost a lot more than a Jacoby Jones. I'm thinking we could maybe get a safety or a pick. That'd be more along the lines of his value.

prostock101
09-06-2009, 07:54 PM
That happened early in a preseason game, and he jumped up like it was no big
deal. Let the kid play his THIRD SEASON, before you call him a bust.

Man, I'm just leary of this guy. Even Kub has mentioned on more than one occasion that he needed to see more from him. And you have to assume we kept Martinez because no one is convinced he's someone that can be relied upon to make good decisions. If you remember, after he was slammed to the ground and injured in the Colts game, it took him forever to get his confidence back and he was up and down. One good decision was followed by one bad one. So, one hot preseason game still hasn't taken away that cringe I feel everytime he fields a punt........

jppaul
09-07-2009, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't trade Jacoby for anything less than a 2nd. He can be a game changer, and he is one of the best punt returners in the league. He looks like he is developing as a WR, and he made some great catches in the preseason, there is not a chance that Martinez would have caught that deep post in the first half where Jacoby extended mid stride and snagged it.

He has talent but he needs to put it together, why trade him when it looks like he starting to do that. IMHO, he has physical gifts second only to AJ on this team, and if, GOD FORBID, AJ goes down, JJ is the most similar WR on the roster.

ObsiWan
09-07-2009, 01:02 AM
If A.J. goes down, Andre Davis, not J.J. will step into that spot.

Specnatz
09-07-2009, 01:09 AM

For example Walter has a tweaked hammy.

jppaul
09-07-2009, 03:10 AM

Never said he would go into that spot, I said that he is the most similar and if he developed he is the player on the team that brings that skillset.

gary
09-07-2009, 10:23 AM
If A.J. goes down that would spell a capital TROUBLE

gtexan02
09-07-2009, 10:26 AM
maybe we could trade Drob and JJ for Brandon Marshall and one of their DBs/DL

gary
09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd do that in a flash.

dalemurphy
09-07-2009, 10:36 AM

Why would we do this?

gary
09-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Why would we do this?We'd be getting a better teamate for A.J. on the field even better than Kevin Walter plus we'd fill in another need. Think about having A.J., Walter, Marshall, and Davis on the same team.

Carr Bombed
09-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Why would we do this?

I'd do it...

We'd have the best WR duo in the league and Marshall already knows the system.

Hardcore Texan
09-07-2009, 10:52 AM
We'd be getting a better teamate for A.J. on the field even better than Kevin Walter plus we'd fill in another need.

Marshall is a head case, no thanks.

gary
09-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Marshall is a head case, no thanks.True, but in Denver their whole program is falling apart he would know with A.J. at the helm though they'd be unstoppable.

Carr Bombed
09-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Marshall is a head case, no thanks.

At worst, it's a one year rental.........which sadly is what Dunta is most likely.

JimC
09-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I think they want to trade him for picks, or maybe a player in a position of serious weakness (DT?), but not another receiver.

They are carrying 6 receivers and 4 running backs -- one more than they carried at either position last year. They are about to add Dunta to the roster. Who do they drop? If they can trade Jones for a pick, they can keep 5 receivers and bring in Dunta. Otherwise, they are probably going to lose Glenn Martinez or Andre Hall.

With Dunta, they also have 6 CBs. They could drop McCain, Quin or Molden, but they are probably afraid of losing them. Is it too late to put Molden on the PUP list to save a roster spot?

Specnatz
09-07-2009, 11:40 AM
True, but in Denver their whole program is falling apart he would know with A.J. at the helm though they'd be unstoppable.

He is a TO and no amount of anyone being the leader will be able to control his asshatery.

Specnatz
09-07-2009, 11:41 AM
At worst, it's a one year rental.........which sadly is what Dunta is most likely.

Actually the Texans can franchise him again next year.

Carr Bombed
09-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Actually the Texans can franchise him again next year.

Yeah, but why would you want too......he'd be just as disgruntled as Marshall is now in Denver. Houston has been drafting alot of corners over the past couple of years, so hopefully if they can't reach a contract with Dunta, they just go ahead and move on.

gary
09-07-2009, 12:04 PM
He is a TO and no amount of anyone being the leader will be able to control his asshatery.Jay Cutler was traded away from Denver and he seems to be doing fine now. Marshall is still a beast out there on the field. A winning product is what I as a fan want to see. I'm not saying he's not a head case because I know he is. If he were to put that all behind him and help win us a ring then I'm all for that. As CB said he basicly just be a one year sub at this point just as Dunte is. If he works out then ok keep him. If not, let him walk but I just keep thinking about the WR corps the Texans would have probably the best in the league and I jump up for joy.

Specnatz
09-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Jay Cutler was traded away from Denver and he seems to be doing fine now. Marshall is still a beast out there on the field. A winning product is what I as a fan want to see. I'm not saying he's not a head case because I know he is. If he were to put that all behind him and help win us a ring then I'm all for that. As CB said he basicly just be a one year sub at this point just as Dunte is. If he works out then ok keep him. If not, let him walk but I just keep thinking about the WR corps the Texans would have probably the best in the league and I jump up for joy.

I think we have a damn good set of WR as it is now and to possibly add a disruption to it is penny wise but pound foolish. As far as Cutler goes, he has just not stuck his foot in his mouth lately but he will it is what he does oh so well.

Dunta is not a one year rental at this point because he can be franchised again.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Jay Cutler was traded away from Denver and he seems to be doing fine now. Marshall is still a beast out there on the field. A winning product is what I as a fan want to see. I'm not saying he's not a head case because I know he is. If he were to put that all behind him and help win us a ring then I'm all for that. As CB said he basicly just be a one year sub at this point just as Dunte is. If he works out then ok keep him. If not, let him walk but I just keep thinking about the WR corps the Texans would have probably the best in the league and I jump up for joy.

From a pure talent standpoint, that would rock.

The problem is would Marshall be happy with the role of #2? I think KW is perfectly happy being the #2 and making tough catches. I think Marshall would want to be the #1. If AJ sees more passes, he'd go prima donna and scream more for the ball.

It's not just about getting the best, most talented players. It's about getting guys that work well together. I think we'd suffer chemistry-wise with Marshall.

beerlover
09-07-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-3356.html
After his play this preseason I'm a bit surprised, he seems to be making the strides expected of him... he's made some big time plays and tough catches and is starting to break off some good routes as well.. of course this could be Lombardi BS too

I consider Mike Lombardi a credible source. Jacoby is secure unless Texans somehow work a trade for a DT w/draft pick thrown on for inticement. This season's #1 need is interior defensive tackle. Already cut ties with Travis Johnson so I'd be more worried about another 1st rd. pick being used on DT next year :headhurts:

gary
09-07-2009, 12:29 PM
From a pure talent standpoint, that would rock.

The problem is would Marshall be happy with the role of #2? I think KW is perfectly happy being the #2 and making tough catches. I think Marshall would want to be the #1. If AJ sees more passes, he'd go prima donna and scream more for the ball.

It's not just about getting the best, most talented players. It's about getting guys that work well together. I think we'd suffer chemistry-wise with Marshall.I get that but it might be worth a one year shot then again we really don't need him anyway.

Lucky
09-07-2009, 12:30 PM
It's not just about getting the best, most talented players. It's about getting guys that work well together. I think we'd suffer chemistry-wise with Marshall.
Great point. This isn't fantasy football. Marshall makes zero sense, here.

gary
09-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Great point. This isn't fantasy football. Marshall makes zero sense, here.From the stand point of Marshall being an asshat it does not make any sence whatsoever but from a talent stand point it makes lots of sence.

Hottoddie
09-07-2009, 12:38 PM

I'm not so sure about this anymore. After hearing Dunta say that he didn't get what he wanted, but understands that the club did what it thought was right for it & he did what he thought was right for him, I get the impression he has accepted the fact that the club won't blink & he'll be more likely to accept a similar offer (the one that's been rumored) next year. I just don't think we'll be going through this again next year with him.

Marcus
09-07-2009, 12:47 PM
post removed.

gary
09-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Just foreget it folks our WR corps is already just loaded with great talent and so ready to kick some ass.

eriadoc
09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah, but why would you want too......he'd be just as disgruntled as Marshall is now in Denver. Houston has been drafting alot of corners over the past couple of years, so hopefully if they can't reach a contract with Dunta, they just go ahead and move on.

Yeah, but they've been drafting corners like Gruden collected QBs in TB.

BigBull17
09-07-2009, 12:52 PM

Why would you want Marshall on your team?

BigBull17
09-07-2009, 12:54 PM

But, Cutler wasnt a problem till McDaniels screwed around and pissed him off. Marshall has shone time and again he's immature. He is also one strike away from a suspension. No thanks.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Just foreget it folks our WR corps is already just loaded with great talent and so ready to kick some ass.

:)

It's cool, man. You've got your opinion and there's nothing wrong with that. The people that disagree with you (like Lucky and I) aren't trying to take that away from you, we just don't agree with you.

If we do make a trade for Marshall, I'll be looking for silver linings but I'm not going to be ecstatic like you may be. I'll be hoping for the best. And in the end, you could be right.

I don't THINK you're right... but... :)

Carr Bombed
09-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah, but they've been drafting corners like Gruden collected QBs in TB.

So..

You NEED alot of quality corners on your team (and we needed to draft all those corners) and I think we have some. I was really surprised with McCain's play during the preseason.

gary
09-07-2009, 01:22 PM
:)

It's cool, man. You've got your opinion and there's nothing wrong with that. The people that disagree with you (like Lucky and I) aren't trying to take that away from you, we just don't agree with you.

If we do make a trade for Marshall, I'll be looking for silver linings but I'm not going to be ecstatic like you may be. I'll be hoping for the best. And in the end, you could be right.

I don't THINK you're right... but... :)We're not going to though and the Broncos have quited down about shopping him around.