PDA

View Full Version : Richard Seymour traded to the Raiders.

GuerillaBlack
09-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Richard Seymour was traded to the Raiders for a 2011 first round draft pick. Per ESPN.

bckey
09-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I just saw this on ESPN. That is definately a suprise trade. Too bad they couldn't wait until after we play the Raiders.

RT22
09-06-2009, 10:54 AM
That's what good front offices do! They understand the value of their players and make good decisions to build for the future.

bckey
09-06-2009, 11:09 AM
That's what good front offices do! They understand the value of their players and make good decisions to build for the future.

Very true. The Patriots FO is the best in the league and has been for some time.

texasguy346
09-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Very true. The Patriots FO is the best in the league and has been for some time.

The Raiders have been one of the worst for some time too. New England got the better end of this deal.

thunderkyss
09-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Did I read that right? 2011 first round pick??

That doesn't seem like a good deal to me, unless they get some 2010 mid-rounders to go with it

infantrycak
09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Did I read that right? 2011 first round pick??

That doesn't seem like a good deal to me, unless they get some 2010 mid-rounders to go with it

Seymour is in the last year of his contract and will be looking for a big pay day. Plus the Pats are in a position to wait on this savings bond and in the end it will be a 1st round pick.

Honoring Earl 34
09-06-2009, 11:26 AM
It's always better to trade a player a year early rather than a year late .

mexican_texan
09-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Seymour is in the last year of his contract and will be looking for a big pay day. Plus the Pats are in a position to wait on this savings bond and in the end it will be a 1st round pick.
Not to mention he's been shopped before.

gary
09-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I would not want to be around him right now.

Carr Bombed
09-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Man the Raiders are dumb........they need ALOT more help than Seymour and they need to finish rebuilding that team with YOUNG talent, but here they are throwing away first round picks.

Check that......maybe this was the better way to go, because when your owner drafts players in the first round strictly on how fast they run the 40, maybe it is better if you can get a proven commodity, regardless of who it is.

That franchise is a mess.

mexican_texan
09-06-2009, 12:20 PM
As opposed to using the 1st round pick on another Heyward-Bey, Russel, or Huff?

Hooston Texan
09-06-2009, 02:08 PM
This trade is all the better for Belicheat if, as many suspect, the new CBA contains a salary scale for rookies. If so, then high draft picks will no longer back albatrosses around a franchise's neck. Any new CBA probably won't affect the draft until 2011.

Jackie Chiles
09-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Can't believe Oakland did that without some sort of extension from Seymour. They either lose him after one year or overpay big time to retain him. Why do teams keep handing out high draft picks to the Pats?

TheRealJoker
09-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I cant wait for the day when our trade can stockpile draft picks by trading excess talent :)

The Raiders game just got tougher :(

Wolf
09-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Can't believe Oakland did that without some sort of extension from Seymour. They either lose him after one year or overpay big time to retain him. Why do teams keep handing out high draft picks to the Pats?

I have no idea why for some reason, the Pats get to sell high and buy low. consistently with other teams

why would the Raiders make this move? they are not a player or two away from the playoffs ..

like they say "sucker born every minute"

Goldensilence
09-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Actually the trade sorta makes sense when you think about it from multiple angles.

As someone pointed out Al typically makes boneheaded first round decisions, though I'll give him that Huff looked good coming out of college and for some reason or another it hasn't translated well.

Raiders are struggling to stop the run and just lost their leader in sacks to....the Pats. Seymour should help with stopping the run and getting consistent pressure up the middle.

The AFC West has been topsy turvy this offseason with the firing of Shannahan, Chiefs making changes, and we'll see how Merriman's recent arrest stand with the commish. Personally I see a possible suspension for ol' Roids.

They got a stable of Running backs and if Russell can give them a semblance of a passing game they might be more dangerous then people think.

Second Honeymoon
09-06-2009, 10:17 PM
it hurts their future, but this makes the Raiders a better football team in 2009.

their division is pathetic and with that schedule they could put together a decent season. they have pieces to the puzzle, they just have to put them together.

Seymour is someone who may bring some much needed professionalism and leadership to this team. Lord knows they aren't getting it from the Head Coach with him assaulting his assistants and The Jumpsuit needs to stop getting involved in football operations. He used to be great but he needs to hang it up and get someone who is a top football guy in there to run things. Maybe Al would consider Bill Cowher as someone to finally give the reins over to. It's gonna have to be someone he ultimately respects as a coach...not just a former Raider great like Art Shell. He has to do it. He has embarassed himself year after year and although I love the guy for what he stands for, he needs to quit.

If it was a 2010 1st Rounder its a bad deal, but not having to 'pay the piper' for 2 more full seasons is a tempting proposition. No payments till 2011.

WesmanTexanfan
09-06-2009, 10:47 PM
The genius just traded the slow kid for his pudding. Dang it rick you shoulda called Al maybe we could have gotten a 2nd rounder for TJ....

Specnatz
09-06-2009, 10:52 PM
If it was a 2010 1st Rounder its a bad deal, but not having to 'pay the piper' for 2 more full seasons is a tempting proposition. No payments till 2011.

No self respecting coach would ever work for the Raiders as long as Al Davis is above ground.

Belichik again shows he is the smartest guy in the room. With no labor agreement in place for the 2010 season he gets what is most likely a top 10 pick in the 2011 draft after a new agreement is in place and most likely a more strenuous rookie wage scale.

Not to mention Seymour is a FA at the end of the season and he will most likely not sign until he can test the FA waters, so it is a 1st round pick for a one year use of a player. That is just down right stupid.

GuerillaBlack
09-07-2009, 02:18 AM
Hell, Seymour might even resign with the Patriots after this season. You never know...

Goldensilence
09-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Hell, Seymour might even resign with the Patriots after this season. You never know...

Somehow that wouldn't surprise me.

Lucky
09-07-2009, 01:07 PM
I guess Belichick always deserves the benefit of doubt, but I'm not sure that trading arguably your best defender is such a great idea. This certainly doesn't make a team with Super Bowl asperations better this year. And it's not as if the Pats are incredibly deep on the d-line. A pass rush that declined greatly in '08 just got worse.

badboy
09-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Can Seymour play wide receiver? Just asking.

ChampionTexan
09-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Interesting article dealing with a potential ramification of this trade to the Pats.

LINK (http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view/20090908if_vince_wilfork_is_a_gambler_he_needs_to_ use_leverage_now_nose_when_to_walk_away/srvc=home&position=also)

I find the following particularly interesting:

Those six-year deals were eventually ruled so one-sided they have been made illegal. Now rookies can sign for no more than four years, leaving them with a reasonable chance to maximize their career earnings in a league where the average career remains less than four years.

Wilfork knows that just as he knows the way Seymour got his was by going home and refusing to play until he got paid. He should now do the same, telling his bosses he cannot in good conscience risk a major injury Monday night with no protection for his future.

He has clearly outplayed that contract yet the Patriots have refused to rewrite it, making him one of only two first-round picks that year still playing on their rookie deals.

The other is Ben Watson

His employer is the New England Patriots

The writer comes across as if he might have a little bit of an ax to grind with the Pats, as I don't know that I've ever seen a member of the media publicly endorse a hold out on the part of a signed player. To put it mildly, I think it's unlikely that Wilfork now decides to hold out, but it's an interesting offshoot to this whole thing.

gary
09-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Hell, Seymour might even resign with the Patriots after this season. You never know...They'll more than likely place the tag on him.

Wolf6151
09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
When we traded Travis Johnson a couple weeks ago, we should have done so with Oakland instead of San Diego, we probably could have gotten a 2nd round pick from Al Davis instead of a conditional 6th from the Chargers.

Note to Rick Smith all future trades should be made with crazy Al. Trade Jacoby Jones, Chaun Thompson, and Andre Hall we can probably get next years 1st round pick.

HoustonFrog
09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
So basically EVERY GM in the league has Al on speed dial as their first call for any trade offers.

"Al, I know you'd like another DB across from Nnamdi Asomugha...so Dunta for two 1st rounders sound good?"

Vinny
09-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I guess Belichick always deserves the benefit of doubt, but I'm not sure that trading arguably your best defender is such a great idea. This certainly doesn't make a team with Super Bowl asperations better this year. And it's not as if the Pats are incredibly deep on the d-line. A pass rush that declined greatly in '08 just got worse.
The Pats have been excellent in trading a guy 'a little too early' as opposed to most other teams that wait too long and get nothing out of players via trade, or letting them walk during FA. This is his 9th season so he's getting up there in years. You can only get value if the player still has some worth, so you gotta give something now to get something long term. I'm also assuming he rubbed someone the wrong way. I can't imagine a worse football fate than to be traded to the Raaaaiiidaaaazzzzzz.

HoustonFrog
09-09-2009, 10:15 AM
The Pats have been excellent in trading a guy 'a little too early' as opposed to most other teams that wait too long and get nothing out of players via trade, or letting them walk during FA. This is his 9th season so he's getting up there in years. You can only get value if the player still has some worth, so you gotta give something now to get something long term. I'm also assuming he rubbed someone the wrong way. I can't imagine a worse football fate than to be traded to the Raaaaiiidaaaazzzzzz.

I agree. Seymour has been banged up and is declining. They parlayed that into a 1st rounder. To me it was a steal. The Raiders aren't winning anything this year and just gave up a high 1st rounder for someone who probably won't be back with them.

4Texans
09-09-2009, 04:09 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/09/source-seymour-thought-he-was-getting-a-new-deal-in-new-england/

Something fishy is going on with Eugene Parker it seems. First he's got Crabtree holding out, now he possibly had Seymour thinking the Patriots were ready to sign him to a contract extension....

So why hasn't defensive lineman Richard Seymour reported for duty in Oakland?

Some think that he wants a new deal from a Raiders. A league source tells us that the root of the problem is that Seymour thought he was getting a new deal from the Patriots.

Per the source, Seymour believes that progress was being made toward an agreement that would have extended his stay with the Patriots beyond 2009. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, the Patriots shipped him to Oakland.

The source explains that there's a chance that agent Eugene Parker led Seymour to believe that the talks toward a new deal had progressed farther than they actually had. Either way, the fact that Seymour went from thinking he was going to sign a retirement deal with the Patriots to learning that he'd been sent to the Raiders has contributed in large part to the confusion and frustration that has kept him from reporting to work at his new place of employment.

And it remains to be seen whether he ever will.

ccdude730
09-09-2009, 05:16 PM
anyone think seymour will pull a jake plummer and retire?

he is an all-pro, 5 time probowler, and 3 time world champ who just got traded from a top 5 team to ... well, the bottom of the league. Ouch

Hervoyel
09-09-2009, 05:58 PM
anyone think seymour will pull a jake plummer and retire?

he is an all-pro, 5 time probowler, and 3 time world champ who just got traded from a top 5 team to ... well, the bottom of the league. Ouch

If he's been reasonable with his money and saved some for the day he retires I don't see why he wouldn't do that. His retirement would basically negate the trade right? If he never shows up and just retires then he kills the deal and forces the Patriots to either pay him to get him back out there or allow him to have a voice in any future trade he's a part of.

He's just got to mean it.

JPPT1974
09-09-2009, 09:58 PM
So far, he is a no-show! But who knows what will happen as Raiders can be a team if they get it together!

ccdude730
09-10-2009, 12:41 AM
If he's been reasonable with his money and saved some for the day he retires I don't see why he wouldn't do that. His retirement would basically negate the trade right? If he never shows up and just retires then he kills the deal and forces the Patriots to either pay him to get him back out there or allow him to have a voice in any future trade he's a part of.

i believe that is correct.

but if he was not released, did not sign a new deal with patriots, and did not play out the rest of his contract, would he be a FA after the season is over?

4Texans
09-10-2009, 08:48 AM

but if he was not released, did not sign a new deal with patriots, and did not play out the rest of his contract, would he be a FA after the season is over?

Not if he sits out the year. He would be placed as or considered in-active for 2009 and he would not get credit for this year.

TimeKiller
09-10-2009, 09:29 AM
How lonely of a franchise that players would rather quit the game than play for you? If this isn't the sign to Crazy Al that it's time to step back and see what other people can do then...

....what the **** am I talking about? Crazy Al couldn't see a sign if it hit him in his dry, sagging, morose face. THIS is the sign. Wanna know why your team is so bad? Because good players literally will not play for you. You're offering to pay someone millions to play a game for a living and they are turning you down.

PATHETIC

HoustonFrog
09-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Have you seen the Al Davis Trade Cheetsheet

http://i32.tinypic.com/2hg5p38.jpg

Specnatz
09-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Actually I think that is wrong. Remember Jake Plummer was traded to the Bucs and if he were to ever come back into the league they would own his rights for what the remainder of the contract was. So the deal is done and it is up to the Raiders to convince Seymour to report. I am basing this off of what happened with Plummer.

ccdude730
09-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Actually I think that is wrong. Remember Jake Plummer was traded to the Bucs and if he were to ever come back into the league they would own his rights for what the remainder of the contract was. So the deal is done and it is up to the Raiders to convince Seymour to report. I am basing this off of what happened with Plummer.

me wrong? i think not.... just kidding!

but i did do a search and came up with this:

Link (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5340491)Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden tried to talk Plummer into playing for the Buccaneers. After a long conversation with his agents this morning, Plummer decided to quit rather than go to Tampa Bay. His decision nullified a trade that would have sent a fourth-round pick to Denver.

Denver holds Plummer's rights for the next three seasons if he decides to play again.

infantrycak
09-11-2009, 10:04 AM
me wrong? i think not.... just kidding!

but i did do a search and came up with this:

Link (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5340491)

Dude at the Denver Post was wrong. Buccaneers and Plummer went through an arbitration.

Buccaneers | Team retains rights to Plummer
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:55:15 -0700

Updating a previous report, Stephen F. Holder, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers agreed to settle their dispute with former QB Jake Plummer last week, but the team will retain his rights through the end of the 2009 season.

Buccaneers | Team reaches settlement with Plummer
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:24:07 -0700

Updating a previous report, The NFL Network reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers reached a $3.5 million settlement with free-agent QB Jake Plummer (Buccaneers) over his signing bonus.

Link (http://www.kffl.com/player/43/NFL)

ccdude730
09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Dude at the Denver Post was wrong. Buccaneers and Plummer went through an arbitration.

Link (http://www.kffl.com/player/43/NFL)
:foottap:

:)

eriadoc
09-11-2009, 10:22 PM
So what if Seymour just never shows up? I know they freeze his contract, but so what? If he never shows up, but also never files the retirement paperwork, he can just gum things up for as long as they want to play the game, while he goes out and plays golf without 300 lb. linemen beating on him every week. Right?

infantrycak
09-12-2009, 10:56 AM
So what if Seymour just never shows up? I know they freeze his contract, but so what? If he never shows up, but also never files the retirement paperwork, he can just gum things up for as long as they want to play the game, while he goes out and plays golf without 300 lb. linemen beating on him every week. Right?

Short answer is he doesn't get paid, doesn't count against the roster and probably the Raiders can go after him to recover part of his signing bonus. That's weird to recover money another team paid but it is one of the rights that goes with the trade.

Wolf
09-12-2009, 12:27 PM
ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)—Richard Seymour(notes) says he’s “excited” to join the Oakland Raiders after initially being “blindsided” by his trade from New England.

Seymour made his first public comments since the trade to the Boston Herald on Saturday.

The five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman had not reported to the Raiders since they dealt a 2011 first-round pick for him last Sunday, raising speculation he did not want to join the NFL’s worst team over the last six years.

Seymour says he just needed to gather his thoughts and take care of some family issues before leaving for Oakland.

He planned to arrive Saturday afternoon and expects to play in the opener Monday night against San Diego.

Coach Tom Cable is expected to address Seymour’s pending arrival after practice Saturday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Anp4rkOqVbe4uaGoPZsnyLhDubYF?slug=ap-raiders-seymour&prov=ap&type=lgns

Wolf
09-13-2009, 12:18 PM
did I hear casserly right? Raiders decided to give up a number one instead of a 2nd rounder and a 5th?

Second Honeymoon
09-15-2009, 12:09 AM
it hurts their future, but this makes the Raiders a better football team in 2009.

their division is pathetic and with that schedule they could put together a decent season. they have pieces to the puzzle, they just have to put them together.

Seymour is someone who may bring some much needed professionalism and leadership to this team. Lord knows they aren't getting it from the Head Coach with him assaulting his assistants and The Jumpsuit needs to stop getting involved in football operations. He used to be great but he needs to hang it up and get someone who is a top football guy in there to run things. Maybe Al would consider Bill Cowher as someone to finally give the reins over to. It's gonna have to be someone he ultimately respects as a coach...not just a former Raider great like Art Shell. He has to do it. He has embarassed himself year after year and although I love the guy for what he stands for, he needs to quit.

anyone still questioning Al's sanity over this deal? Dude has made a fool of himself but I felt this was a good deal all along. Seymour looks dominant and looks to have a massive chip on his shoulder. Too bad Al has made so many bad deals he just doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore. No wonder most people panned this deal as the ravings of a lunatic in a jumpsuit. It was a quality football move and was not a cheap move.

I liked the deal when it was made and tonight only makes me more secure in my judgement. they get 2 years of Seymour before they even pay a penny and a 1st Rounder is a big deal but Seymour is a better football player than 95% of the 1st Rounders that will be around in 2011.

Boy, the Raiders got jobbed on that TD catch at the end of the half though. I do think the NFL hates the Raiders.

stingray
09-15-2009, 12:13 AM
anyone still questioning Al's sanity over this deal? Dude has made a fool of himself but I felt this was a good deal all along. Seymour looks dominant and looks to have a massive chip on his shoulder. Too bad Al has made so many bad deals he just doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore. No wonder most people panned this deal as the ravings of a lunatic in a jumpsuit. It was a quality football move and was not a cheap move.

I liked the deal when it was made and tonight only makes me more secure in my judgement. they get 2 years of Seymour before they even pay a penny and a 1st Rounder is a big deal but Seymour is a better football player than 95% of the 1st Rounders that will be around in 2011.

Boy, the Raiders got jobbed on that TD catch at the end of the half though. I do think the NFL hates the Raiders.

He has totally changed the Raiders D so far, two sacks and his presence has kinda of rubbed of on the rest of the defense.

Jackie Chiles
09-15-2009, 12:35 AM

He sure looks good tonight but if he only stays 1 year its a bad move any way you slice it imo. If they had gotten him to sign an extension to go with the trade I doubt many people would be panning the trade. Seymour is a talent.

Second Honeymoon
09-15-2009, 12:42 AM
He sure looks good tonight but if he only stays 1 year its a bad move any way you slice it imo. If they had gotten him to sign an extension to go with the trade I doubt many people would be panning the trade. Seymour is a talent.

the extension is a foregone conclusion. the money will be negotiated but the Raiders want to wait till after the season in order to protect themselves v. injury or lack of production. well the lack of production argument is out the window...they may go ahead and pay the guy before the season ends...he is drawing double teams 90% and still pressuring and supporting the run defense.

Seymour let his play do his negotiating...maybe Dunta should take a page from that book.

HOU-TEX
09-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Seymour's in a contract year so he's going to bust ass where ever he plays. That normally goes for any player in their cointract year. Oddly enough, we traded one of ours away. :rolleyes:

GuerillaBlack
09-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I totally forgot to watch Travis Johnson last night. How'd he do (if anyone was watching)?

HoustonFrog
09-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Sorry, Seymour is playing for a new contract. The Raiders will still be a losing team. High 1st round draft picks are a commodity. You gave away a pick that could be a future cornerstone for 1-2 years of a guy who will look good while you are still losing. Therein lies where the Pats got over. A guy with a limited number of years while your bad AND that wants money compared to a pick that you could have built on with the talent in place.

WWJD
09-15-2009, 11:55 AM
I watched a few minutes of the game and to me the Raiders defense looked dominant but now I'm reading they let the Chargers drive the field for the winning points.

I really don't like Rivers..he got a 15 yard penalty for taunting last night. Why taunt a D lineman or player that can jack you up? Doesn't seem real smart to me

BigBull17
09-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I watched a few minutes of the game and to me the Raiders defense looked dominant but now I'm reading they let the Chargers drive the field for the winning points.

I really don't like Rivers..he got a 15 yard penalty for taunting last night. Why taunt a D lineman or player that can jack you up? Doesn't seem real smart to me

Rivers is good, but he is such a little punk. I like to see him lose or get jacked up.

WWJD
09-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Rivers is good, but he is such a little punk. I like to see him lose or get jacked up.

I don't get that guy..I am not a Chargers fan and don't watch them much unless they're the only game on but he's always talking trash. To the opponent...to fans in the stands.

Seems like a real jerk.

He is good though. He'd probably be the first to tell people that. Although I seem to remember when he first came into the league he got ripped for his throwing motion or something.

BigBull17
09-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't get that guy..I am not a Chargers fan and don't watch them much unless they're the only game on but he's always talking trash. To the opponent...to fans in the stands.

Seems like a real jerk.

Yeah. He was screaming at Indy fan's that year they beat them in Indy. Just classless

WWJD
09-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah. He was screaming at Indy fan's that year they beat them in Indy. Just classless

Yea..thanks..I couldn't remember the game or team but you're right. It was Indy.

He does come across as a spoiled rotten brat type personality.

cc_me
09-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Rivers spit on our player and then threw the ball at him while our guy was on the ground. He's a punk.

I would like to say that most of this thread is straight up laughable. It seems most of the posters in this thread believe everything that ESPN feeds them. And most of that is lies and speculation.

Richard Seymour is a Man. A man of strong faith who places his family and faith ahead of football in his life. As he should. That should be applauded. And he's also a man of his word. He told the team he would be there and he is there. He had some family issues to take care of before reporting to the Raiders. I see nothing wrong with that. And neither did the Raiders. It was not widely reported that he spoke with the team and stated he would be there but the "news" outlets chose to make up their own "stories". And they were wrong.

Oh and Al Davis has no problem paying the man if he performs.

Believe what you read, that's fine. But you may be surprised come October 4th.

Grandma, Ted, Dante', sorry I won't be out this year. :-( You all are the BEST!

WWJD
09-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Rivers must have jello for brains (being a lady precludes me from saying the more popular term of what he has for brains)..

Spitting on guys that want to decapitate you? DUMB!

cc_me
09-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Rivers must have jello for brains (being a lady precludes me from saying the more popular term of what he has for brains)..

Spitting on guys that want to decapitate you? DUMB!

He's got no class at all. But the media loves him!

texasguy346
09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Seymour's in a contract year so he's going to bust ass where ever he plays. That normally goes for any player in their cointract year. Oddly enough, we traded one of ours away. :rolleyes:

TJ didn't look too good out there starting for SD from what I saw. Of course I didn't watch much of the second half. To be fair though I don't think TJ is quite in playing shape yet either.