PDA

View Full Version : Who do we cut to make room for DRob?

prostock101
09-06-2009, 07:25 AM
And if we sign somone off the wire, who else goes.

Maddict5
09-06-2009, 07:36 AM
hall, martinez & thompson should be near the top of the list. ive a feeling ive forgotten somebody else pretty obvious

Austrian
09-06-2009, 07:39 AM
hall, martinez & thompson should be near the top of the list. ive a feeling ive forgotten somebody else pretty obvious

Zgonina?

Maddict5
09-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Zgonina?

yep. was just looking at the roster & its him. in fact i think hes at the very top of the list

ObsiWan
09-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Maybe getting a CB means we can let one go. I'd try to sneak Quin onto the practice squad.

...or cut Bennett or Molden. Neither had a very "outstanding" camp. IMHO, the two rookie CB outplayed both of them. Bennett doesn't always learn from his mistakes and I'm not sure Molden is 100% back from his injury. Maybe Molden has some P/S eligibility left... I'm not sure.

awtysst
09-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Maybe getting a CB means we can let one go. I'd try to sneak Quin onto the practice squad.

...or cut Bennett or Molden. Neither had a very "outstanding" camp. IMHO, the two rookie CB outplayed both of them. Bennett doesn't always learn from his mistakes and I'm not sure Molden is 100% back from his injury. Maybe Molden has some P/S eligibility left... I'm not sure.

I think Moulden may shift into a Safety role down the line though.

dalemurphy
09-06-2009, 09:21 AM
yep. was just looking at the roster & its him. in fact i think hes at the very top of the list

I think Clark Harris being cut may keep Zgoniga on the roster because of his long snapping experience. I'm sure there is some concern about Dressen's ability to handle those duties.

dalemurphy
09-06-2009, 09:23 AM
I think Moulden may shift into a Safety role down the line though.

The Molden we saw before the injury could certainly play some FS. However, he looks hestitant out there right now and will be a liability until he can cut it loose again.

Marcus
09-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Thompson

NitroGSXR
09-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Who cares! It's for Dunta Robinson! I'm happy! Seriously though... It's gotta be Glenn Martinez.

Wolf6151
09-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Hall, Zgonina, JJ, or Thompson. In fact package them all together and trade them for a decent SS with some talent and upside.

hot pickle
09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
i doubt we will try to move quin to the PS... i thinkk teams would jump on him in a second on the waiver wire

TheRealJoker
09-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Hard not to cut a CB, its difficult to keep 6. Wouldn't want to cut one of the rookies or Molden. It might end up being Bennett, DRob's apprentice who would have to get the axe. Or they may be trying to move Jacoby to grab a DT or safety so they dont have to end up cutting Martinez to make room for DRob?

Or Zgonina, but then again they might want to keep him around as a veteran presence on the line and an emergency LS. Its a tough cut to make.

Andre Hall maybe and bump down to 3 RBs?

Jackie Chiles
09-06-2009, 01:58 PM
The answer is..... no one.

"The Texans did not have to release a player to make room for Robinson because they were granted a two-week roster exemption by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell due to Robinson's late reporting date. They will be allowed to have 54 players on their active roster during that time period."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5534

Insideop
09-06-2009, 02:19 PM
The answer is..... no one.

"The Texans did not have to release a player to make room for Robinson because they were granted a two-week roster exemption by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell due to Robinson's late reporting date. They will be allowed to have 54 players on their active roster during that time period."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5534

:thinking: That's interesting. The chronic said that he couldn't practice until they cut someone from the 53 man roster. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6605518.html

:tearup: I guess the chronic screwed up again! :ohsnap:

Eventually though, they will have to get down to the 53 man roster. I think it will probably be Zgonina, although, as some of you have said, he's insurance for the LS position. If they cut Thompson, that will give us only 5 LBers, so I don't think they will risk that. JMHO!

76Texan
09-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Cut Dunta! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

In all seriousness, maybe we can get a future draft pick for JJ.
I certainly hope that nobody gets injured that soon, knock on wood! :headhurts:

ChampionTexan
09-08-2009, 10:44 AM
It appears the exemption to carry 54 players on the active roster is not exactly what we received (and that never really sounded right/fair anyway). Looks like we just get to consider Dunta inactive for the time being. Once Dunta is activated (presumably for Sunday's game), somebody's got to go.

Robinson plans to start Sunday against the New York Jets in the regular-season opener. That means he'll be activated before the game, and another player will have to be waived to clear a spot on the roster.
LINK (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6607033.html)

The Pencil Neck
09-08-2009, 10:53 AM
It appears the exemption to carry 54 players on the active roster is not exactly what we received (and that never really sounded right/fair anyway). Looks like we just get to consider Dunta inactive for the time being. Once Dunta is activated (presumably for Sunday's game), somebody's got to go.

LINK (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6607033.html)

I'm thinking Zgonina.

HOU-TEX
09-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I said several weeks ago that if we go into the season with Zgonina on the roster as a DT we're going to be in trouble. It's quite sad that a 39 year old DT can win a roster spot on this team. To me, it just shows the lack of talent we have at the position.

Anywho, my comment stands. I expect Zgonina to be cut eventually. If not, expect to continue to be gashed in the run game.

DiehardChris
09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Andre Hall is my guess.

BigBull17
09-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Andre Hall is my guess.

I think Hall looked pretty good. He finds the hole annd is decisive. It may be JJ, or Ziggonia.

ChampionTexan
09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
It's really tough to assign a cut to Dunta's activation, since my guess is that there's a decent chance the FO is planning on signing a veteran or two after week one (that is, after the week one salary guarantee is past), and they may be looking at the cut list with an eye towards that. I would think that Zgonina, Hall, Martinez, and Chaun Thompson might be at risk. Heck, if they bring in a safety, I could see Busing or Ferguson getting the ax.

Another possibility is Glover Quinn, since none of the guys previously mentioned is PS eligible.

beerlover
09-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Texans current injury status is probably the deciding factor for now. Maybe Rick Smith can come up with some type of trade or other roster move besides cutting a player who make the roster pre-Dunta? I always find it helpfull to review the current depth chart to keep abreast of all the changes -

Offense

WR Andre Johnson André Davis Jacoby Jones Glenn Martinez
LT Duane Brown Rashad Butler
LG Chester Pitts Kasey Studdard
C Chris Myers Chris White Antoine Caldwell
RG Mike Brisiel Antoine Caldwell Chris White
RT Eric Winston Rashad Butler
TE Owen Daniels Joel Dreessen Anthony Hill James Casey
WR Kevin Walter David Anderson
QB Matt Schaub Dan Orlovsky Rex Grossman
RB Steve Slaton Chris Brown Ryan Moats Andre Hall
FB Vonta Leach

Defense

LDE Antonio Smith Tim Bulman
DT Amobi Okoye Shaun Cody
NT DelJuan Robinson Frank Okam Jeff Zgonina
RDE Mario Williams Connor Barwin
SLB Brian Cushing Chaun Thompson
MLB DeMeco Ryans Kevin Bentley
WLB Zac Diles Xavier Adibi
LCB Dunta Robinson Jacques Reeves Brice McCain
RCB Fred Bennett Glover Quin Antwaun Molden
SS Dominique Barber Nick Ferguson
FS Eugene Wilson John Busing

Special Teams

P Matt Turk
K Kris Brown
H Matt Turk
KO Kris Brown
KOR André Davis Jacoby Jones Ryan Moats
PR Jacoby Jones David Anderson André Davis
LS Joel Dreessen James Casey Jeff Zgonina

Currently Texans can ill afford to get any thinner @ DT so Zgonina is safe plus he's a back-up long snapper.

Kubiak comment regarding Glenn Martinez -"Yeah. He's a great example. He just kept playing well throughout training camp, not only as a receiver but really played well for (special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano). Obviously, we've got (WR) Kevin (Walter) who's nicked right now with a hamstring, so we ended up keeping six. We've got six football players. We've got guys who produce on special teams. Glenn can play special teams. David Anderson plays special teams. Kevin Walter is going to play special teams. André Davis covers kicks and returns kicks, so the group as a whole are all very much involved with what Joe does, so I think that allows us to keep an extra guy there." He impressed me also especially in the gunner role on kick-offs, he's a keeper, for now.

Busing could get significant minutes to showcase his skills against the Jets with Wilson gimpy so this could be his chance to really make the roster & stick around. No need to rush Eugene Wilson back early, from Kubiak "Obviously, we think that he's going to have to make some progress to be ready to go against the Jets. I'm not ready to say he's not going to be there. I'm very hopeful he can keep making progress. He, obviously, has got a sprain, a good sprain that's going to take some days to get back. Hopefully those days are sooner rather than later, but we've got to prepare as if there's a chance he doesn't make it back." Even if intially Kubiak goes with, "Well, I think obviously, right now you'd say that (SS) Nick (Ferguson) and (SS Dominique) Barber would probably go work together. You'd go with the experience. But I'd think you would have some type of rotation between all of them."

My gut feeling is if the Texans have to make a roster cut before the game it's gonna be Andre Hall. Still like Foster, "we released him. He did some good stuff in camp. We went with (RB) Andre Hall right now as our fourth back". Well thats my thought on this subject for the time being, until post game Sunday :)

barrett
09-08-2009, 02:05 PM
You read into that exactly what I did. I think Kubiak makes a clear case for keeping all those guys except Hall and Zgonina. With Dreesen making his debut as LS I think it makes Hall the odd man out. If he clears waivers I'd expect them to release one of the PS'ers and keep him. I think he's still elligiable. He's listed with 18 games but I don't know if he was active for all of them.

dalemurphy
09-08-2009, 02:31 PM
You read into that exactly what I did. I think Kubiak makes a clear case for keeping all those guys except Hall and Zgonina. With Dreesen making his debut as LS I think it makes Hall the odd man out. If he clears waivers I'd expect them to release one of the PS'ers and keep him. I think he's still elligiable. He's listed with 18 games but I don't know if he was active for all of them.

I think Chaun Thompson gets cut. Since BDavis successfully made it to the practice squad, I think they get rid of Thompson. I may be the only Thompson fan on the board but even I am a little tired of his injury issues.

ChampionTexan
09-08-2009, 02:58 PM

He's not eligible - the 18 games are those he was active for. The fact that he is listed as 8/0 for 2008 means he was active for 8 games, started none, and therefore was inactive (or not on the 53 man roster) for 8 games.

JimC
09-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I think Chaun Thompson gets cut. Since BDavis successfully made it to the practice squad, I think they get rid of Thompson. I may be the only Thompson fan on the board but even I am a little tired of his injury issues.

I wouldn't describe myself as a Thompson fan, but I doubt the Texans drop to five linebackers. Considering the injuries they have already had at that position, not to mention their role on special teams, dropping down to five seems pretty risky.

There were three guys who surprised me when they made the team: Hall, Martinez and Zgonina. Of those guys, Zgonina is the one most likely to see the field because his position is so thin and because Okam is so inconsistent. Hall and Martinez aren't likely to even be active on game day. My guess is that they will cut one of them, depending on who they think has the best chance of clearing waivers and making it to the practice squad.

I don't think they will drop any of their cornerbacks because they think they can play and because they are all needed. Over the long term they may move a corner to safety or move a current starter to nickel corner, but they don't have talent to spare in the backfield. All of the defensive backs on the roster are likely to see the field this year.

I think this is why they were looking for someone to trade a pick for Jones. He isn't likely to play much at receiver, they like their other receivers, and they thought Jones might have value.

I wonder if there is someone else whom they think they can play without and who does have value. Brown? Andre Davis?

I also wonder if they are thinking of putting someone on the PUP list. Molden? Wilson?

barrett
09-08-2009, 03:06 PM
He's not eligible - the 18 games are those he was active for. The fact that he is listed as 8/0 for 2008 means he was active for 8 games, started none, and therefore was inactive (or not on the 53 man roster) for 8 games.

Thank you very much.

Cjeremy635
09-08-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd cut Anthony Hill. Dude coughed up the ball for a fumble and missed a catch that turned into an interception, and that was just in the Bucs game. I wasn't impressed with him at all in the preseason and I think we've got plenty of depth at TE anyways. Is he still there or did we already cut him?

texasguy346
09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I'd cut Anthony Hill. Dude coughed up the ball for a fumble and missed a catch that turned into an interception, and that was just in the Bucs game. I wasn't impressed with him at all in the preseason and I think we've got plenty of depth at TE anyways. Is he still there or did we already cut him?

Hill is still on the roster, and I don't see him getting cut. He was tabbed as one of the better blocking TEs in the draft which is one of the reasons he was our 4th round pick. While he certainly had a bad game against the Bucs its not a reason to give up on him just yet.

Wolf6151
09-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Hopefully Chaun Thompson or Jacoby Jones.

The Pencil Neck
09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I also wonder if they are thinking of putting someone on the PUP list. Molden? Wilson?

I think it's too late to PUP someone. They had to be on the preseason PUP before the end of the preseason.

I think that's how it works.

Fred
09-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Hopefully Chaun Thompson or Jacoby Jones.
All this cut Jacoby Jones talk. He's the only person the Texans put at punt returner all preseason. So are we going to rush the punter with 11 guys and try to block every one all year?

Goldensilence
09-09-2009, 02:20 AM
If it's not Zgonnia I'll be surprised.

JimC
09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
If it's not Zgonnia I'll be surprised.

I was surprised when they brought him back, but I think they are forced to hold on to him now. If they cut him, DelJuan Robinson and Frank Okam are their only nose tackles.

One injury would leave them with Frank Okam playing every snap at nose tackle, possibly being spelled by Shaun Cody from the other tackle spot. After watching the Saints and Vikings run over their tackles in the preseason, I don't think they consider that a viable option.

I think Zgonina is here for the year.

Vinny
09-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Kasey Studdard. Chris White and Antoine Caldwell should be able to back up both Guard spots.

76Texan
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I was surprised when they brought him back, but I think they are forced to hold on to him now. If they cut him, DelJuan Robinson and Frank Okam are their only nose tackles.

One injury would leave them with Frank Okam playing every snap at nose tackle, possibly being spelled by Shaun Cody from the other tackle spot. After watching the Saints and Vikings run over their tackles in the preseason, I don't think they consider that a viable option.

Shaun Cody has played NT for the Lions and for us in the PS!

JimC
09-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Shaun Cody has played NT for the Lions and for us in the PS!

Their current depth chart shows Cody at the other tackle spot, with Okam as the second nose tackle. If Robinson goes down, their depth chart indicates that Okam would step in. Also, Cody was unable to hold down a starting job on an 0-16 team. That worries me a little when considering who would start if Robinson is injured...

Their defensive line is thin with 4 defensive ends and 5 tackles. They may be willing to drop to 8 total defensive linemen, but I just don't see it. They like to rotate the players during the game, and they must leave some room for injuries during the season. Didn't they keep 11 last year?

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2009, 12:18 PM

I had said earlier that I thought it would be Zgonina getting cut to make room for Dunta but you're right. There aren't enough interior linemen for a good rotation without Zgonina.

I'm not going to be surprised if we end up picking up someone like Sands.

So that means it's Hall or Martinez getting the axe. I don't think Studdard's going to be cut (although I think he should be.)

76Texan
09-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Their current depth chart shows Cody at the other tackle spot, with Okam as the second nose tackle. If Robinson goes down, their depth chart indicates that Okam would step in. Also, Cody was unable to hold down a starting job on an 0-16 team. That worries me a little when considering who would start if Robinson is injured...

Their defensive line is thin with 4 defensive ends and 5 tackles. They may be willing to drop to 8 total defensive linemen, but I just don't see it. They like to rotate the players during the game, and they must leave some room for injuries during the season. Didn't they keep 11 last year?
Cody played the most snaps of all the D-linemen for the Lions (by a long mile, if that website profootballfocus is correct). It was shown that he was in on 697 plays. The closest guy, Cory Redding, was in for 598 plays.
TJ was in 426 plays, Deljuan 281, and Jeff 256.

Zgonina can always be brought back.

JimC
09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Zgonina can always be brought back.

If it were me, I would have kept Travis Johnson and cut Zgonina at the end of the preseason. Johnson is no savior at tackle, but this team is so thin at that position that it was really a choice between Johnson and Zgonina. I would have gone with Johnson. The team went a different direction, keeping Zgonina instead.

What would be the point of dropping a player if you expect to bring him back in a few more weeks? I would rather keep him ready to play.

I just don't expect them to drop below 9 defensive linemen. If they cut him, I expect them to replace him with another defensive lineman. I could be wrong, however, since they have a defensive end that can drop down to tackle on passing downs. That gives them some flexibility in how they rotate the tackles.

The bottom line is I think Zgonina is more likely to actually be activated for games and see the field than Martinez or Hall. I think that will weigh heavily in their decision. Since someone else mentioned that Hall isn't eligible for the practice squad, I'm guessing Martinez.

76Texan
09-09-2009, 04:05 PM
If it were me, I would have kept Travis Johnson and cut Zgonina at the end of the preseason. Johnson is no savior at tackle, but this team is so thin at that position that it was really a choice between Johnson and Zgonina. I would have gone with Johnson. The team went a different direction, keeping Zgonina instead.

What would be the point of dropping a player if you expect to bring him back in a few more weeks? I would rather keep him ready to play.

I just don't expect them to drop below 9 defensive linemen. If they cut him, I expect them to replace him with another defensive lineman. I could be wrong, however, since they have a defensive end that can drop down to tackle on passing downs. That gives them some flexibility in how they rotate the tackles.

The bottom line is I think Zgonina is more likely to actually be activated for games and see the field than Martinez or Hall. I think that will weigh heavily in their decision. Since someone else mentioned that Hall isn't eligible for the practice squad, I'm guessing Martinez.
What can I say; Kubiak is known to like guys who practice hard and keep in shape (just as many other NFL coaches).

They released him, and then Jeff came back and got uhh how many sacks in the PS?
THREE!
While TJ can't even get on the field.

It's difficult not to like a warrior like Zgonina; I just wish that the other guys can work as hard!

ObsiWan
09-09-2009, 04:10 PM

The issue with T.J. is that he's just not as dependable as Zgonina. Say what you will about the old man, but he shows up with his lunch pail ready to go to work. We were doing good if Johnson even showed up. That was kind of a no-brainer IMO.

Regarding who would go, I think it still depends on who we pick up. I still think it'll be a one-for-one swap depending on the position. If we pick up a DT, then the bottom DT on the depth chart goes. If we pick up a safety, then I think Busing's out the door or they try and sneak one of the younguns to the P/S.

I haven't done an in depth study - maybe some of you guys have, but in looking at some of the cut lists on Yahoo, ESPN, TSN, etc., I haven't seen anyone that's a "Damn, we gotta have him" upgrade over who we have now. I've seen some recognizable names but Deltha O'Neal was a "recognizable name" too.

DiehardChris
09-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Myself (and several others) called it right. RB Andre Hall was cut today to make room for D-Rob.

beerlover
09-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Texans current injury status is probably the deciding factor for now. Maybe Rick Smith can come up with some type of trade or other roster move besides cutting a player who make the roster pre-Dunta? I always find it helpfull to review the current depth chart to keep abreast of all the changes -

Offense

WR Andre Johnson André Davis Jacoby Jones Glenn Martinez
LT Duane Brown Rashad Butler
LG Chester Pitts Kasey Studdard
C Chris Myers Chris White Antoine Caldwell
RG Mike Brisiel Antoine Caldwell Chris White
RT Eric Winston Rashad Butler
TE Owen Daniels Joel Dreessen Anthony Hill James Casey
WR Kevin Walter David Anderson
QB Matt Schaub Dan Orlovsky Rex Grossman
RB Steve Slaton Chris Brown Ryan Moats Andre Hall
FB Vonta Leach

Defense

LDE Antonio Smith Tim Bulman
DT Amobi Okoye Shaun Cody
NT DelJuan Robinson Frank Okam Jeff Zgonina
RDE Mario Williams Connor Barwin
SLB Brian Cushing Chaun Thompson
MLB DeMeco Ryans Kevin Bentley
WLB Zac Diles Xavier Adibi
LCB Dunta Robinson Jacques Reeves Brice McCain
RCB Fred Bennett Glover Quin Antwaun Molden
SS Dominique Barber Nick Ferguson
FS Eugene Wilson John Busing

Special Teams

P Matt Turk
K Kris Brown
H Matt Turk
KO Kris Brown
KOR André Davis Jacoby Jones Ryan Moats
PR Jacoby Jones David Anderson André Davis
LS Joel Dreessen James Casey Jeff Zgonina

Currently Texans can ill afford to get any thinner @ DT so Zgonina is safe plus he's a back-up long snapper.

Kubiak comment regarding Glenn Martinez -"Yeah. He's a great example. He just kept playing well throughout training camp, not only as a receiver but really played well for (special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano). Obviously, we've got (WR) Kevin (Walter) who's nicked right now with a hamstring, so we ended up keeping six. We've got six football players. We've got guys who produce on special teams. Glenn can play special teams. David Anderson plays special teams. Kevin Walter is going to play special teams. André Davis covers kicks and returns kicks, so the group as a whole are all very much involved with what Joe does, so I think that allows us to keep an extra guy there." He impressed me also especially in the gunner role on kick-offs, he's a keeper, for now.

Busing could get significant minutes to showcase his skills against the Jets with Wilson gimpy so this could be his chance to really make the roster & stick around. No need to rush Eugene Wilson back early, from Kubiak "Obviously, we think that he's going to have to make some progress to be ready to go against the Jets. I'm not ready to say he's not going to be there. I'm very hopeful he can keep making progress. He, obviously, has got a sprain, a good sprain that's going to take some days to get back. Hopefully those days are sooner rather than later, but we've got to prepare as if there's a chance he doesn't make it back." Even if intially Kubiak goes with, "Well, I think obviously, right now you'd say that (SS) Nick (Ferguson) and (SS Dominique) Barber would probably go work together. You'd go with the experience. But I'd think you would have some type of rotation between all of them."

My gut feeling is if the Texans have to make a roster cut before the game it's gonna be Andre Hall. Still like Foster, "we released him. He did some good stuff in camp. We went with (RB) Andre Hall right now as our fourth back". Well thats my thought on this subject for the time being, until post game Sunday :)

nailed it w/breakdown why :ant:

edo783
09-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Myself (and several others) called it right. RB Andre Hall was cut today to make room for D-Rob.

MMmmm, they had an exemption until game 2. Wonder what this might portend, if anything.

DiehardChris
09-11-2009, 09:34 PM
MMmmm, they had an exemption until game 2. Wonder what this might portend, if anything.

They had an exemption that lasted a MAX of two weeks, or until they activated Dunta, whichever came first.