PDA

View Full Version : Dunta Robinson IS BACK

SoCalTexanFan
09-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Cornerback Dunta Robinson will report to the Texans for a physical and conditioning tests and could be on the practice field Sunday morning.

"I've been working hard, and Iím ready to go," Robinson said. "I donít know what theyíll have me do tomorrow, but I think they will mostly look to see where Iím at physically.

"But I'll be on the field for the next practice."

If he passes the physical, Robinson's first practice is likely to be Tuesday. The Texans, who finished the preseason at Tampa on Friday, are scheduled for a workout Sunday morning and will be off on Monday.

Robinson, a free agent designated a franchise player by the team, and the Texans were unable to come to an agreement on a long-term deal. He will now sign a one-year contract for $9.957 million, which is the average of the top five cornerback salaries in the NFL.

Robinson held out hope that the Texans would agree not to place the franchise tag on him again next season, but the organization would not agree to do so.

"There is no ill will on either side," Robinson said. "They did what they thought was best for them and I did what I thought was best for me. When two sides don't come to an agreement, that's business, and just business. Now it's time to move on and go win football games."

SoCalTexanFan
09-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Cornerback Dunta Robinson will report to the Texans for a physical and conditioning tests and could be on the practice field Sunday morning.

"I've been working hard, and Iím ready to go," Robinson said. "I donít know what theyíll have me do tomorrow, but I think they will mostly look to see where Iím at physically.

"But I'll be on the field for the next practice."

If he passes the physical, Robinson's first practice is likely to be Tuesday. The Texans, who finished the preseason at Tampa on Friday, are scheduled for a workout Sunday morning and will be off on Monday.

Robinson, a free agent designated a franchise player by the team, and the Texans were unable to come to an agreement on a long-term deal. He will now sign a one-year contract for $9.957 million, which is the average of the top five cornerback salaries in the NFL.

Robinson held out hope that the Texans would agree not to place the franchise tag on him again next season, but the organization would not agree to do so.

"There is no ill will on either side," Robinson said. "They did what they thought was best for them and I did what I thought was best for me. When two sides don't come to an agreement, that's business, and just business. Now it's time to move on and go win football games."

I'm sure missing that first paycheck had a lot to do with it.

YellerLotYeller
09-05-2009, 07:41 PM
linkage?

Honoring Earl 34
09-05-2009, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=YellerLotYeller;1241515]linkage?[/QUOTE

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6604719.html

Hardcore Texan
09-05-2009, 07:45 PM
This all boils down to Dunta didn't want to risk injury in camp/preseason since he isn't guranteed anything other than this year's pay, he held out as long as he could to avoid injury but did not want hold out beyond that and be docked pay.

Specnatz
09-05-2009, 07:46 PM
No ill will? I tried to hold the franchise hostage and they called my bluff and so I screwed the team all preseason hoping they would cave. Hope no one thinks I am a money grubbing piece of shit like I truly am.

Pfft what ever.

JB
09-05-2009, 07:47 PM
No ill will? I tried to hold the franchise hostage and they called my bluff and so I screwd the team all preseason hoping they would cave. hope no one hinks I am a money grubing piece of shit like I truly am.

Pfft what ever.

Come on and tell us what you really think...

bckey
09-05-2009, 07:49 PM
No ill will? I tried to hold the franchise hostage and they called my bluff and so I screwed the team all preseason hoping they would cave. Hope no one thinks I am a money grubbing piece of shit like I truly am.

Pfft what ever.

what he said

SoCalTexanFan
09-05-2009, 07:51 PM

Pfft what ever.

LOL....Perfect translation.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Mods........You may want to merge this thread with the other one.

kiwitexansfan
09-05-2009, 08:11 PM
And will take 4 or 5 weeks to get up to game speed and into game shape, all the while playing and getting burnt and stinking up the locker room with this bad attitude.......

Not excited at all.

ATXtexanfan
09-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Let the rook start

Wolf6151
09-05-2009, 08:18 PM

Pfft what ever.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Screw Dunta.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Sign and trade is still a possibility through October 20. If he doesn't embarrass himself, it could be the best scenario

Hardcore Texan
09-05-2009, 08:21 PM

Pfft what ever.

I am not happy about the situation either, I don't if I am as unhappy as you but I pretty ticked at him too. Just was trying to say what I think the ulterior motive is, which is $

barrett
09-05-2009, 08:24 PM
You guys are hilarious.

As soon as he makes a play you're gonna love him. I can assure you, you are Texans fans, more than Dunta hatemongers.

I'm sure you'll relish in his failure if he fails. Wouldn't you rather be wrong and have him succeed at the benefit of the Texans? I'm sure you would.

Wolf
09-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I will admit , right now I wish we could trade him.. odds are he isn't going to be with this team next season, might as well get something out of it (I doubt any team will trade for him, esp with that contract )

... BUT if we don't and when he is here for the full season .. I have no problem I will cheer and curse him just like I will with every other player on this team on sunday afternoon

Specnatz
09-05-2009, 08:29 PM
You guys are hilarious.

As soon as he makes a play you're gonna love him. I can assure you, you are Texans fans, more than Dunta hatemongers.

I'm sure you'll relish in his failure if he fails. Wouldn't you rather be wrong and have him succeed at the benefit of the Texans? I'm sure you would.

I am a realist, nothing more nothing less. I love the Texans and will cheer if and when he makes a good play but that does not mean I like him as a person.

He has hurt the team all the while saying he was a team guy. He is full of shit and can kiss my hairy white ass, because I know who and what he is.

Runner
09-05-2009, 08:29 PM
And will take 4 or 5 weeks to get up to game speed and into game shape, all the while playing and getting burnt and stinking up the locker room with this bad attitude.......

Not excited at all.

I'd rate the fans are a nine on a scale of ten pissed at Dunta and poisoned by his attitude. Sorry, nobody's perfect.

On the same scale I'd say the players are at about a one at being affected by his "stinking up the locker room with a bad attitude". I would say zero, but these things are usually on a 1-10 basis.

The players were far more on Dunta's side than the front office. I don't think they take it as personally as the fans. I doubt the front office and coaches do either, for that matter.

Bubbajwp
09-05-2009, 08:30 PM
You guys are hilarious.

That is so true.

You never know with people Drob might show up in the best shape of his life. He is basically in a contract year so he might surprise everybody.

Runner
09-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I am a realist, nothing more nothing less. I love the Texans and will cheer if and when he makes a good play but that does not mean I like him as a person.

He has hurt the team all the while saying he was a team guy. He is full of shit and can kiss my hairy white ass, because I know who and what he is.

Wow, that's tough.

People have their internuts on tonight.

Honoring Earl 34
09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Wow, that's tough.

I guess they got them off their trucks .

Specnatz
09-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Wow, that's tough.

What did I say that was wrong? I never said he was a bad player or that he could not play. He is dishing out a line of shit and i am not scooping up one bit of it.

JimC
09-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Who will the Texans cut to make room for Dunta? Martinez?

barrett
09-05-2009, 08:50 PM
The players were far more on Dunta's side than the front office. I don't think they take it as personally as the fans. I doubt the front office and coaches do either, for that matter.

Yeah, it's weird. It's almost as if the players and front office have a better grasp of the day to day operations of the business of professional football. It's like they're not knee jerk fans who think that Dunta Robinson hates the fans and hates the team that they root for. It's like they're thinking of it as if it's all part of the game.

Very strange.

Silly football players. When will they ever get it?

bckey
09-05-2009, 08:52 PM
You guys are hilarious.

I promise you I won't love him. You missed the point entirely. It isn't about succeeding or failing. It is about the way he has handled the holdout.

Joe Texan
09-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Spec Get real, It is Business and his paycheck does not come till the jets game so why work for free. He is back like I knew he would be, Look out Jets It ain't the teetons Faggins anymore. And Sanchez I want to introduce you to MARIO yall make frinds now ya hear.

Pfft what ever.

barrett
09-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I think I got the point. And I'm disagreeing with you. Perhaps you're missing my point when I say "you're going to love him."

bckey
09-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Spec Get real, It is Business and his paycheck does not come till the jets game so why work for free. He is back like I knew he would be, Look out Jets It ain't the teetons Faggins anymore. And Sanchez I want to introduce you to MARIO yall make frinds now ya hear.

Because it is a team game.

Wolf
09-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I guess Demeco spoiled me with his attitude on his contract issue (along with OD)

I know it is a business and hopefully the Texans will take care of business with Ryans , in which Ryans showed that he wanted to be a Texan ..

my problem with Robinson is how he talked so much about liking Houston and wanted to be a Texan and yet wanted to explore his options (nothing wrong with exploring) but both sides handled it poorly

Runner
09-05-2009, 09:05 PM
You guys are hilarious.

I promise you I won't love him. You missed the point entirely. It isn't about succeeding or failing. It is about the way he has handled the holdout.

Dunta didn't want to be franchised a second year so he used the only tool (leverage if you will) that he had within the rules.

Rick Smith couldn't negotiate a contract with Dunta and his agent for whatever reason, so he used the leverage he had within the rules to franchise him and refuse to give up the option to franchise him next year.

This is want happens when people can't negotiate and it becomes a leverage issue. Rick Smith has the reponsibility to get players into camp just as much as the players do. This was a failure of Dunta Robinson/his agent AND Rick Smith/the Texans.

The question I have is: has anyone learned anything? I'd still like to see successful negotiation before a battle of leverage.

barrett
09-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Demeco and OD are under contract.

Wolf
09-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Demeco and OD are under contract.

I thought they had one year left and wanted an extension and rumors circulating about possible hold out for a pay raise?

m5kwatts
09-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Heres a question now.....

Who starts opposite Dunta until Reeves gets back, Bennett or McCain?

barrett
That's correct. But if they had held out they would have been fined. Because they are under contract.

barrett
Heres a question now.....

Who starts opposite Dunta until Reeves gets back, Bennett or McCain?

Based on how they performed in the preseason I would rather see McCain. Bennett is supposed to start though.

m5kwatts
09-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Based on how they performed in the preseason I would rather see McCain. Bennett is supposed to start though.

I agree and yes Bennett will probably be the guy. I think McCain had a better preseason though.

Specnatz
09-05-2009, 09:11 PM

Business side of things my ass. D-Rob tried to play us as fans and the media by making comments to the press in order for the Texans to look bad. The Texans are not perfect but I have noticed how certain players have been acting in this labor free year.

If it is business then say it is business and not try and blow smoke up my ass.

Do I think both sides handle this badly .. yeah but only one side tried to make themselves out to be saints.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Whether or not everyone gets together later with Kumbaya will depend solely on whether Dunta plays well or poorly. He has put himself at disadvantage to accomplish the former.

bckey
09-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Dunta didn't want to be franchised a second year so he used the only tool (leverage if you will) that he had within the rules.

Dunta thought he could walk this year and Rick Smith shot that down. He wants to walk next year and that is why he doesn't want to be franchised a second time. I would have pulled the franchise tag offer off the table as soon as he walked in the office today. See ya. Go play else where. Its just business Dunta. We have 53 players already.

whiskeyrbl
09-05-2009, 09:19 PM
In a way his selfish attitude helped the team(in a way). We found out that we drafted two decent(but raw) CB's in McCain and Quin. No way we keep both of these guy's(or probably draft both) if DRob is in camp. I will probably show a lil' rude behavior the first time he is introduced but if he helps the TEAM then more power to him. We can trade him on draft day next year if we have to.:shades:

Runner
09-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Dunta thought he could walk this year and Rick Smith shot that down. He wants to walk next year and that is why he doesn't want to be franchised a second time. I would have pulled the franchise tag offer off the table as soon as he walked in the office today. See ya. Go play else where. Its just business Dunta. We have 53 players already.

As a professional GM would you consider that being in the best interest of the team? A GM gets paid a lot of money to do his best to make the team succeed.

Joe Texan
09-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Dunta will be as good or better than before he got hurt and yall better get on the wagon cause it is taking off.

barrett
09-05-2009, 09:26 PM
As a professional GM would you consider that being in the best interest of the team? A GM gets paid a lot of money to do his best to make the team succeed.

Yeah, you make a good point but man, where's your loyalty?! It's like you're getting paid to put a winning football team on the field!

I know tons of successful GM's who don't think about the bottom line that just make decisions based on if they think a player doesn't like them or not.

Marcus
09-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Pfft what ever.

Got your back on that one, Spec. :goodpost:

pbat488
09-05-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't blame or hold ill will against Dunta at all. I understand all (at least as much as a fan can) of the reasons why he didn't report to camp or sign the contract or this and that, and I still can't wait for him to be back. He is going to be an upgrade on our defense and make us better. If you don't like Dunta, that is one thing, but if you don't like or appreciate how he makes our defense more complete, that is something completely different..

Pantherstang84
09-05-2009, 09:55 PM

He still has to pass the physical.

JimC
09-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Solomon did a phone interview with Dunta:

Do you expect to be booed?
"I don't expect it, but anything is possible, so if it happens, I won't be surprised. If I thought too much about or was too concerned with what people thought about me, I wouldn't have made it this far. You don't worry about that. You have to let those things motivate you. If things don't go your way and you tuck your tail and go hide, you're not a competitor. People have said what I couldn't do my whole career - since high school - and I have always used that as motivation. Those who say negative things are not going to be right about me. Even during this, I would look at things said about me on the Internet, and drop down and start doing pushups. You won't be right about me when it's a negative. The negatives in my career have made me work three times harder."

If that is true, he should read the "Dunta" threads on this site and become the best CB in the NFL!

;)

DocBar
09-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm on record as saying DROB can kiss my ass, and I stand by that. I don't like players who put themselves above the team and think all of their wages are far beyond the ridiculous stage. Having said that, this is the 1st major contract controversy for our young team involving a (former?) fan favorite and it's been as ugly as we have seen since the Oilers. I, for one, will root wholeheartedly for DROB as long as he wears a Texans uniform. If he does well, the Texans will probably do well. This organization has made a habit of letting talent go with little or no compensation, so I'm not overly surprised with where we are right now. Next season, we'll do a deal, tag him again or let him walk. If he walks, I will wholeheartedly boo him. All I want is for the Texans to win. In this particular case, the ends justify the means.

whiskeyrbl
09-05-2009, 10:17 PM
solomon did a phone interview with dunta:

Do you expect to be booed?
"i don't expect it, but anything is possible, so if it happens, i won't be surprised. If i thought too much about or was too concerned with what people thought about me, i wouldn't have made it this far. You don't worry about that. You have to let those things motivate you. If things don't go your way and you tuck your tail and go hide, you're not a competitor. People have said what i couldn't do my whole career - since high school - and i have always used that as motivation. Those who say negative things are not going to be right about me. Even during this, i would look at things said about me on the internet, and drop down and start doing pushups. You won't be right about me when it's a negative. The negatives in my career have made me work three times harder."

if that is true, he should read the "dunta" threads on this site and become the best cb in the nfl!

;)
lol

Marcus
09-05-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't blame or hold ill will against Dunta at all. I understand all (at least as much as a fan can) of the reasons why he didn't report to camp or sign the contract or this and that, and I still can't wait for him to be back. He is going to be an upgrade on our defense and make us better. If you don't like Dunta, that is one thing, but if you don't like or appreciate how he makes our defense more complete, that is something completely different..

Well, there you go, it's something completely different. Dunta has hurt the team's chances of winning the early games because of missing camp. He didn't get any reps in with the new system, and I can't believe any of you actually think that he isn't going to be rusty on the field. I don't think he'll start against the Jets or the first few games just for those reasons. He would be starting if he had reported to camp.

If he does start, and covers his receivers like a blanket, then I'll be the first one to say, "Well, I was all wrong. There's no need for training camp or preseason games." But if he gets lit up against the Jets (and you can take it to the bank the Jets will try to exploit this) because he had his head up his ass and didn't know where he was supposed to be on the field, he's going to find out how ugly the crowd can get. Then we can discuss whether he's really BACK or not.

I really do hope I'm wrong about all this. But I think Dunta staying out of camp is going to cost some early games. It could actually be a difference maker as to whether we go to the playoffs or not.

This ain't over. Not by a long shot.

DocBar
09-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Well, there you go, it's something completely different. Dunta has hurt the team's chances of winning the early games because of missing camp. He didn't get any reps in with the new system, and I can't believe any of you actually think that he isn't going to be rusty on the field. I don't think he'll start against the Jets or the first few games just for those reasons. He would be starting if he had reported to camp.

If he does start, and covers his receivers like a blanket, then I'll be the first one to say, "Well, I was all wrong. There's no need for training camp or preseason games." But if he gets lit up against the Jets (and you can take it to the bank the Jets will try to exploit this) because he had his head up his ass and didn't know where he was supposed to be on the field, he's going to find out how ugly the crowd can get. Then we can discuss whether he's really BACK or not.

I really do hope I'm wrong about all this. But I think Dunta staying out of camp is going to cost some early games. It could actually be a difference maker as to whether we go to the playoffs or not.

This ain't over. Not by a long shot. I seriously doubt DROB os going to go all Rosencopter and singlehandedly cost us a couple of games. Our 1st five games are against teams with good rushing O's or good RB's. The 1st good passing team will be the Cards on Oct. 11, so DROB SHOULD be able to get up to speed by then.

BorrowMe
09-05-2009, 10:32 PM
I seriously doubt DROB os going to go all Rosencopter and singlehandedly cost us a couple of games. Our 1st five games are against teams with good rushing O's or good RB's. The 1st good passing team will be the Cards on Oct. 11, so DROB SHOULD be able to get up to speed by then.

Very true

Specnatz
09-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I seriously doubt DROB os going to go all Rosencopter and singlehandedly cost us a couple of games. Our 1st five games are against teams with good rushing O's or good RB's. The 1st good passing team will be the Cards on Oct. 11, so DROB SHOULD be able to get up to speed by then.

He is not the QB he does not have the ball in his hand every game so you will never know now will you?

beerlover
09-05-2009, 10:40 PM
There is enough blame to go around both sides. The bottom line is with Dunta the Texans defense has a chance to be really good as they can commit 8 men in the box, assert newfound aggressiveness turning Mario, DeMeco, Cushing & Barwin loose. I'm a big picture kinda guy & the big picture is the Texans are better with Dunta than without :user:

so in essence Barrett is dead on, well that is if you really do love the Texans :goodluck:

Marcus
09-05-2009, 10:41 PM

I hope you're right, Doc. After all, this is all about now, not next year, right?

Honoring Earl 34
09-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Don't know if this is posted .

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/09/dunta_robinson_qa_on_physical.html

SteveSlaton20
09-05-2009, 10:45 PM
:mail::d:

blitz90
09-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Hell yeah! I welcome back Danta with open arms. Our D is gonna be so jacked come opening day at Reliant. :fans:

Joe Texan
09-05-2009, 11:09 PM
There's not a game that I have played that my body wasn't very sore afterward. That's football. But if my body is going to be sore, I want to make sure somebody else is sore too."

Thats the Dunta I know and love

DocBar
09-05-2009, 11:53 PM
I hope you're right, Doc. After all, this is all about now, not next year, right? It's ALWAYS about "what have you done for me lately" in the NFL, so of course it's about this year. I'm as tired of all the excuses as anyone. All I want to do is win. If DROB helps us do that, then great, pay the man. If not, let some other team pay the outlandish salary demands. We still have the option to tag him for the '10 season, so his "holdout" only cost us traing camp and video.. I doubt it will cosst us more games than his backups.

He is not the QB he does not have the ball in his hand every game so you will never know now will you?That is one of the reasons Sage was traded and DROB was franchised. Pretty easy crystalball gazing on that one.

Speedy
09-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I keep seeing how Dunta is going to cost us early because he's not going to be up to speed or whatever lame excuse is being used here.....have we forgotten about the CB core we have here? A 70% up to speed Dunta is still probably better than anything out there right now.

I don't think 23 missing the entire camp is going to be that big a deal and if anything, WILL help the team now that he's back. I haven't commented on too many of these Dunta threads, but the few I have I've mentioned that whatever you think of Dunta's play, what kind of corner or how good of a corner he is, none of that changes the fact that the Texans defense has played significantly better with him ON the field. I don't think there's any disputing that.

I don't put my emotions into all the contract stuff because as much as we think we know what's going on with all that stuff, we don't. All we can do is speculate. Plus I'm not going to tell someone that he can't make or shouldn't ask for as much as he can get. As far as I'm concerned, everyone in professional sports is overpaid. And I know we think a couple of million here or there shouldn't be that big a deal when it's that much money involved, but since I'm guessing very few of us here have ever been in that kind of position, I don't see where any of us has room to talk.

Sure, all of that off-field stuff is important as it figures into things that helps make up the team, but once you put the pads on and step between the lines, all I care about is football and winning. If Dunta helps the team win, that's all I care about. I don't care about who's making what, or who's upfront or not about negotiations or who appears to be greedy or any of that stuff. All I care about is winning football games.

And again, considering our secondary.......

pbat488
09-06-2009, 12:10 AM

This ain't over. Not by a long shot.

After watching tape of the Texans in the preseason, do you really expect them to go out there and attack our secondary with a pass-heavy offense? Especially with a rookie QB? No, it's likely not going to happen. They're going to try to set the tone of the game and control the clock which means that they are going to try to (and most likely succeed judging by our porous run D in the preseason) ram the ball down our throat.

Also, what receivers in the first 4 weeks worry you? Cotchery is the only one that worries me, and with a safety over the top on either CB he is lined up against, he shouldn't be too difficult since I don't expect Sanchez to be given enough time to drop back and let the WRs get down-field either by design or our pressure. Again, rookie QB, first real NFL game, first game for a head coach, I'm not expecting them to take a lot of risks.

Dunta has said multiple times this off-season he is staying in shape and is ready for the season. I don't worry about him being rusty so much as him not being familiar with or comfortable in the new scheme. Hopefully a player of his caliber and intelligence can acclimate to the changes within a couple days and we will be right as rain come opening day.

Now I'm going to go on the record and say that he could possibly be a hindrance to our D, especially this first game or two possibly. However, my first post was more directed at everyone who unabashedly hates Dunta just because he has held out this off-season. I understand his situation and I don't hold it against him, it's part of the business. I don't understand why so many on this board hate him so much. He is going to come in and instantly upgrade our defense, and he is a proven leader on this team. Seriously, who would you rather have in opening day, Brice McCain or Dunta Robinson?

Now its a Saturday night and I know I should be celebrating A&M winning our opener this year (thank God) but I had a long day tail-gating and am exhausted, not too mention pretty damn drunk. So hopefully I didn't loose track and ramble too much, but sometimes I read things on here and can't help but respond to it.

Oh, and I just agree with that DocBar said...

thunderkyss
09-06-2009, 12:14 AM
There is enough blame to go around both sides. The bottom line is with Dunta the Texans defense has a chance to be really good as they can commit 8 men in the box, assert newfound aggressiveness turning Mario, DeMeco, Cushing & Barwin loose. I'm a big picture kinda guy & the big picture is the Texans are better with Dunta than without :user:

so in essence Barrett is dead on, well that is if you really do love the Texans :goodluck:

I've got no mis-conceptions about what Dunta brings to this team. Allowing us to put 8 men in the box, is not one of them. If Mario & Antonio Smith do their job, and force the runner back inside, we have no use for Dunta's strength, which is run support on the wings.

If Dunta starts using the talent that he clearly has & starts preventing the other teams receivers from catching the ball, I'll gladly eat crow, and sing the Dunta Robinson praise.

I've got no ill-will against the man, just haven't seen much of any cornerbacking from him in a long while.

& though I've never been a "big" fan, I would be sorely disappointed if 70,000 boo him Sept 13. I'd be sick to my stomach if they give him another standing O....

beerlover
09-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Dunta is fresh. Hungry. Ego bruised. 100%. pre-injury he was a top 5 CB, how quickly people forget. he is a leader. has natural playmaking skills that should help T/O ratio: also let the rookies show what they got. love McCain & think he should be #2a. Quinn looks more like a nickle/FS. someone confirm that Busing reminds you a little of Lynch in his younger days~

This gives David something to work with as a core group moving forward. like the offensive line improvement last year it takes reps & continuity. Throw Reeves into the mix & I'll wager Bennett has a tough time holding down the starting RCB duties.

It's gonna be OK trust me. Bye-week a 6-3 Texans team will be poised for their first post season run. that's what Dunta means to Texans :logo:

beerlover
09-06-2009, 12:24 AM
I would be sorely disappointed if 70,000 boo him Sept 13. I'd be sick to my stomach if they give him another standing O....

one things for sure we don't have long to wait. next Sunday. Jets. :wherewill

thunderkyss
09-06-2009, 12:30 AM
pre-injury he was a top 5 CB, how quickly people forget.

I haven't forgot what Dunta was pre-injury. I just never believed he was a top 5 corner. I've always thought he was an undersized safety playing out of position.

But never mind that.

I think Molden is better than Bennett & McCain, for now anyway.

Lucky
09-06-2009, 01:23 AM
I guess Demeco spoiled me with his attitude on his contract issue (along with OD)
Not even close to the same. DeMeco is underpaid. You know it. DeMeco knows it. Kubiak and Smith know it. So does Bob McNair. Everyone knows he should get a raise. It's just how big a raise that's the issue. Of course, DeMeco is still in the last year of his contract. We'll see how he reacts if/when he is tagged in the future.

Dunta was in the last year of his contract in 2008. He didn't threaten to hold out of mini camp or training camp. All he did was tirelessly rehab so that he could get back on the field and help his team win. Really, it was in Robinson's best interest to sit out the remainder of the '08 season and heal completely. He wasn't the same player as before the injury. But, Dunta improved as the season moved along, as did the Texan defense. Not a coincidence, IMO.

So comes the 2009 offseason, and the Texans and Robinson cannot strike a deal. That happens. The Texans, believing Dunta is better than any CB they could acquire, decide to place the franchise tag on Robinson. That also happens. Dunta is upset over getting the tag, like so many others who have been tagged in the past. That happens, as well.

Whether Dunta likes it or not, the Texans played by the rules. They have the right to use the franchise tag on anyone of their free agents in a given year, and they exercised that right. Because it was in their best interest to do so. Robinson was not under any obligation to sign the franchise offer. In fact, he could have waited until just prior to week 10 to sign that offer sheet. That's the rule. That he waited until just prior to week one was in his best interest, in his opinion.

There are some posters here that think it's A-OK for the Texans to use the rules in their advantage. And I'm one of those. But, some of these same posters feel that Robinson is unjust and disloyal to use the same exact rules to his perceived advantage. And that inconsistency is completely nonsensical to me. As is the vitriol the most ardent Dunta-haters spew.

If you don't think Dunta is a good CB and worthy of a big $ contract or a franchise tag, that's fine. Go blame Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak for wasting that cap space and not finding a better CB. Not me. I'm glad they kept Dunta in the fold. I have as much respect for Dunta Robinson as any other player who has ever wore a Texan jersey. I believe he is one of the greatest players in this franchise's short history and as a fan, I'm grateful of the effort and tenacity Robinson has displayed for this team.

This team just got better. Go Texans. :fans:

Texans Pride
09-06-2009, 02:23 AM
Who gives a damn. . . Let's get some work done, and win some freakin' games! I'm tired of being the nice guy franchise.

Let's kick some ass, whatever is Fu**ing takes, damn it.

Maddict5
09-06-2009, 02:28 AM

Pfft what ever.

Not excited at all.

Sign and trade is still a possibility through October 20. If he doesn't embarrass himself, it could be the best scenario

WoW i think we need to calm down a bit. i was a bit mad at dunta myself earlier in the offseason when it looked like he wanted to leave but ive come to realise it was all business. he thought he could get paid elsewhere if not here. im not going to crucify him for that or holding out because its what everybody does in that situation. and dunta has gone back up some in my esteem by following through on his word that he'll return when we need him. imo, dunta will start on opening day & play well because ive no doubt hes in great shape

You guys are hilarious.

:goodpost:

and il be cheering 23 when he comes out of the tunnel in 7 days

GuerillaBlack
09-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Lucky wins the thread. Couldn't have said it better.

imatexan
09-06-2009, 03:16 AM

Agreed.

I just don't undertand why people can blame it all on D-Rob when it was clearly both sides making business decisions.

I am VERY excited that Dunta is back and has that same great attitude as always saying that he is ready to play and that no ill will is on either side.

Just as last year when he came back, the team will have that extra fire and I will be cheering as loud as ever for him, he is still one of my favorite players.

Malloy
09-06-2009, 03:22 AM
Return an INT for a TD against the Jets for a W and I'm all on the bandwagon again :)

ObsiWan
09-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Yeah, it's weird. It's almost as if the players and front office have a better grasp of the day to day operations of the business of professional football. It's like they're not knee jerk fans who think that Dunta Robinson hates the fans and hates the team that they root for. It's like they're thinking of it as if it's all part of the game.

Very strange.

Silly football players. When will they ever get it?

LOL +1 for you.

I have yet to read any quote from a player that even HINTS at any anomosity toward D.R. Something tells me that a very select few of the players KNEW what his little game was all along because he told them. Somewhere along the way DeMeco and maybe his homeboy Fred B. called him up and talked to him. They knew.

ObsiWan
09-06-2009, 07:23 AM

And if I was Bob McNair I would have fired you as soon as I found out. Because that move says you got emotionally involved in your negotiations. As GM that compromises your decision making ability. As the owner I want a GM that makes business-based decisions that improve the team, not emotional-based decisions that hurt the team. We have a top ten CB that you let walk without getting ANY compensation for him?? And why? Because he didn't dance to your tune. Yeah, if you pull somethng self-centered like that and I'm McNair, you follow Dunta right out onto the streets.

ObsiWan
09-06-2009, 07:27 AM

Amen to that!!

Specnatz
09-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Agreed.

I just don't undertand why people can blame it all on D-Rob when it was clearly both sides making business decisions.

I am VERY excited that Dunta is back and has that same great attitude as always saying that he is ready to play and that no ill will is on either side.

Just as last year when he came back, the team will have that extra fire and I will be cheering as loud as ever for him, he is still one of my favorite players.

I was not referring to the business side of things. Dunta made it personal with his PR bullshit in the local paper. That is the part that got me irked at Dunta, he tried to play the fans against management. If it was just business then why do that if it was not personal? What happened to the lied to me angle and other things that made it personal not business? Seems that is all gone now according to Dunta. He wants it both ways by his words, it was personal and now it is only business.

By not being in camp Dunta has not helped the team and that is what irks me period.

Hardcore Texan
09-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Who gives a damn. . . Let's get some work done, and win some freakin' games! I'm tired of being the nice guy franchise.

Let's kick some ass, whatever is Fu**ing takes, damn it.

+1, time to get to work and get put this crap in the rear view, we got a game on Sunday.:texflag:

dalemurphy
09-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Not even close to the same. DeMeco is underpaid. You know it. DeMeco knows it. Kubiak and Smith know it. So does Bob McNair. Everyone knows he should get a raise. It's just how big a raise that's the issue. Of course, DeMeco is still in the last year of his contract. We'll see how he reacts if/when he is tagged in the future.

Dunta was in the last year of his contract in 2008. He didn't threaten to hold out of mini camp or training camp. All he did was tirelessly rehab so that he could get back on the field and help his team win. Really, it was in Robinson's best interest to sit out the remainder of the '08 season and heal completely. He wasn't the same player as before the injury. But, Dunta improved as the season moved along, as did the Texan defense. Not a coincidence, IMO.

So comes the 2009 offseason, and the Texans and Robinson cannot strike a deal. That happens. The Texans, believing Dunta is better than any CB they could acquire, decide to place the franchise tag on Robinson. That also happens. Dunta is upset over getting the tag, like so many others who have been tagged in the past. That happens, as well.

Whether Dunta likes it or not, the Texans played by the rules. They have the right to use the franchise tag on anyone of their free agents in a given year, and they exercised that right. Because it was in their best interest to do so. Robinson was not under any obligation to sign the franchise offer. In fact, he could have waited until just prior to week 10 to sign that offer sheet. That's the rule. That he waited until just prior to week one was in his best interest, in his opinion.

There are some posters here that think it's A-OK for the Texans to use the rules in their advantage. And I'm one of those. But, some of these same posters feel that Robinson is unjust and disloyal to use the same exact rules to his perceived advantage. And that inconsistency is completely nonsensical to me. As is the vitriol the most ardent Dunta-haters spew.

If you don't think Dunta is a good CB and worthy of a big $ contract or a franchise tag, that's fine. Go blame Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak for wasting that cap space and not finding a better CB. Not me. I'm glad they kept Dunta in the fold. I have as much respect for Dunta Robinson as any other player who has ever wore a Texan jersey. I believe he is one of the greatest players in this franchise's short history and as a fan, I'm grateful of the effort and tenacity Robinson has displayed for this team.

This team just got better. Go Texans. :fans:

Lucky, excellent post and I certainly agree with the general sentiment. However, the salary cap does create a bit of a nuance. In the salary cap system, Dunta isn't really negotiating to get more of Bob McNair's money. Essentially, that money is already allocated out to the Texans. Instead, he's negotiating for a larger percentage of the Texan players' income. The more he gets, the less is available for other players. From a fan's perspective, that means Dunta's financial success could be a detriment to the success of the team. So, in this regard, it's not an employee versus an employer, but it can be seen as player versus the team... Fans are going to side with the team.

Thorn
09-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Dunta is not a top 5 CB, but he'll get paid like he is. He is however, by a long shot the best CB we got and the defense will be better with him in it.

I don't like the fact Dunta held out, I still think he's acting like an ass, and he can still kiss MY ass, but we'll be a better team when he's on the field.

thunderkyss
09-06-2009, 09:20 AM

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2009, 09:27 AM
WoW i think we need to calm down a bit. i was a bit mad at dunta myself earlier in the offseason when it looked like he wanted to leave but ive come to realise it was all business. he thought he could get paid elsewhere if not here. im not going to crucify him for that or holding out because its what everybody does in that situation. and dunta has gone back up some in my esteem by following through on his word that he'll return when we need him. imo, dunta will start on opening day & play well because ive no doubt hes in great shape

In my post:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger

It was a response based not on "hate" for his "business stance" over the past few months, but an honest concern over his potential performance level, especially for a $10 million price tag...........which still leaves him unhappy.

thunderkyss
09-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Dunta was in the last year of his contract in 2008. He didn't threaten to hold out of mini camp or training camp. All he did was tirelessly rehab so that he could get back on the field and help his team win. Really, it was in Robinson's best interest to sit out the remainder of the '08 season and heal completely. He wasn't the same player as before the injury.

True.... good point

But, Dunta improved as the season moved along, as did the Texan defense. Not a coincidence, IMO.

this is old news..... we should have done this a long time ago. But can you provide stats for this? Because I'm just not seeing it. Rushing yards per game? Points? Total D? what?

Maybe you can provide me with a link that explains it all...

But.... if the $23 million is the real number, Dunta is being an ass about the whole situation. $23 million is more than reasonable for Dunta's services. $23 million guaranteed.

gary
09-06-2009, 10:12 AM
I keep seeing how Dunta is going to cost us early because he's not going to be up to speed or whatever lame excuse is being used here.....have we forgotten about the CB core we have here? A 70% up to speed Dunta is still probably better than anything out there right now.

I don't think 23 missing the entire camp is going to be that big a deal and if anything, WILL help the team now that he's back. I haven't commented on too many of these Dunta threads, but the few I have I've mentioned that whatever you think of Dunta's play, what kind of corner or how good of a corner he is, none of that changes the fact that the Texans defense has played significantly better with him ON the field. I don't think there's any disputing that.

I don't put my emotions into all the contract stuff because as much as we think we know what's going on with all that stuff, we don't. All we can do is speculate. Plus I'm not going to tell someone that he can't make or shouldn't ask for as much as he can get. As far as I'm concerned, everyone in professional sports is overpaid. And I know we think a couple of million here or there shouldn't be that big a deal when it's that much money involved, but since I'm guessing very few of us here have ever been in that kind of position, I don't see where any of us has room to talk.

Sure, all of that off-field stuff is important as it figures into things that helps make up the team, but once you put the pads on and step between the lines, all I care about is football and winning. If Dunta helps the team win, that's all I care about. I don't care about who's making what, or who's upfront or not about negotiations or who appears to be greedy or any of that stuff. All I care about is winning football games.

And again, considering our secondary.......I just want to touch on the fact that every one in sports is overpaid let's face it folks the truth is they are. Many years ago when players did not get paid nearly as much but they still played it was because they truely loved to play the game now very few players play just for the love of the game I'm sure they do but not as much as they used to in the 1930d's and 40d's in large part due to these big crazy contracts Dunte's included. Football I tend to understand making big bucks as players do put their entire body on the line every weekend but on the other hand players used to make a lot less and they were still out there for every single game doing what they do best. Cops and firefighters should be making all the bling while they save the lifes of others these stars in the lime light all foreget that or don't care whatsoever. What do they do? Throw and catch a ball in front of fans wow, there are people out there doing a hell of a lot more but getting paid a bag of chips but I guess if we would like to continue to watch games being played then the stars better just keep on getting paid as we all know these days it's all about the cash and every last bit of it. Please foregive me for going a bit off topic but this is how I see things right now.

bckey
09-06-2009, 10:32 AM
But.... if the $23 million is the real number, Dunta is being an ass about the whole situation. $23 million is more than reasonable for Dunta's services. $23 million guaranteed.

The chronicle is reporting the $23 million figure in McClain's most recent article about Dunta returning.

Robinson was hoping to sign a long-term contract in February, but he couldnít reach an agreement. He turned down $23 million guaranteed and blasted general manager Rick Smith for making him the franchise player.

Dunta doesn't want to be in Houston. He thought he was going to get to walk off into the sunset of another NFL city. He got really pissed when Smith franchised him. Then he wanted Smith to promise not to franchise him next year so he could leave at the end of the season. Please stop with the its just business excuse. He was treated more than fairly but chose to be an a$$ about the whole thing. It was about more than just money for Dunta. It was about trying to leaving town and getting shot down by Smith.

ubecool454
09-06-2009, 10:35 AM
The chronicle is reporting the $23 million figure in McClain's most recent article about Dunta returning.

Robinson was hoping to sign a long-term contract in February, but he couldnít reach an agreement. He turned down $23 million guaranteed and blasted general manager Rick Smith for making him the franchise player.

Dunta doesn't want to be in Houston. He thought he was going to get to walk off into the sunset of another NFL city. He got really pissed when Smith franchised him. Then he wanted Smith to promise not to franchise him next year so he could leave at the end of the season. Please stop with the its just business excuse. He was treated more than fairly but chose to be an a$$ about the whole thing. It was about more than just money for Dunta. It was about trying to leaving town and getting shot down by Smith.

I never heard Dunta say he doesn't want to be in Houston and you didn't either!

Wolf
09-06-2009, 10:37 AM
23 million guaranteed and wanted to shop around esp after he ways saying how much he loved Houston and loved the Texans ...

speaking out of both sides of the mouth is what irritated me

and then get a more than generous offer esp after the horrible injury

bckey
09-06-2009, 10:41 AM
I never heard Dunta say he doesn't want to be in Houston and you didn't either!

Of course you didn't. Actions speak louder than words.

HOU-TEX
09-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Yay, I was right..........for once. I would like to take this time to pat myself on the back.

I was never worried about the Dunta situation, still not. I know he's going to show up eventually. Crabtree's a rookie that has never played before and has likely ruined his first year in the League or at least half of it. That's if he even signs.

Yeah, I hope he shows up over the weekend. He'd be an absolute dufus not to show by the deadline.

While your point is true, look at what we've got now. A weeks worth of practice would likely make him a better option than what we're running out there now. A nickel at least until he's up with the scheme. Would we want a 4th or 6th round rookie starting on opening day? Or Dunta Robinson with a weeks worth of work? I choose Dunta

Granted, he's been working out as much as everybody says he is

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1240004&highlight=Dunta#post1240004

thunderkyss
09-06-2009, 10:53 AM

Just because McClain says it was $23 million doesn't make it so. If they truly offered Dunta that much money, and he turned it down....... after his injury.. just doesn't make sense. That's the money he would have been offered, if he was healthy.

infantrycak
09-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Of course you didn't. Actions speak louder than words.

And maybe his actions say he wanted $25 mil guaranteed or a 5 year deal instead of a 7 year deal or some other structural disagreement.

Just because McClain says it was $23 million doesn't make it so. If they truly offered Dunta that much money, and he turned it down....... after his injury.. just doesn't make sense. That's the money he would have been offered, if he was healthy.

Given that neither Dunta nor his agent has refuted McClain's oft repeated assertion on the $23 mil I side with believing it. That still leaves a whole lot of room for disagreement. For instance, maybe the Texans were merely offering to guarantee the first 3 or 4 years of salary with a minimal 2 or 3 mil signing bonus while Dunta wanted $12 mil up front as a signing bonus and less of the guaranteed money down the road.

Drew_Smoke
09-06-2009, 11:09 AM
You haters will be severely drowned out when #23 comes out of the tunnel.

He's back and he's bent.

THAT is a good thing.

Maddict5
09-06-2009, 11:40 AM
In my post:

It was a response based not on "hate" for his "business stance" over the past few months, but an honest concern over his potential performance level, especially for a $10 million price tag...........which still leaves him unhappy.

i know it wasnt hate but people were throwing out crazy scenarios all over the place and im sorry but trading him before october is one of them.

DexmanC
09-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I just want to touch on the fact that every one in sports is overpaid let's face it folks the truth is they are. Many years ago when players did not get paid nearly as much but they still played it was because they truely loved to play the game now very few players play just for the love of the game I'm sure they do but not as much as they used to in the 1930d's and 40d's in large part due to these big crazy contracts Dunte's included. Football I tend to understand making big bucks as players do put their entire body on the line every weekend but on the other hand players used to make a lot less and they were still out there for every single game doing what they do best. Cops and firefighters should be making all the bling while they save the lifes of others these stars in the lime light all foreget that or don't care whatsoever. What do they do? Throw and catch a ball in front of fans wow, there are people out there doing a hell of a lot more but getting paid a bag of chips but I guess if we would like to continue to watch games being played then the stars better just keep on getting paid as we all know these days it's all about the cash and every last bit of it. Please foregive me for going a bit off topic but this is how I see things right now.

Truth is, players salaries are commensurate with the revenue that sport
brings. Soccer players, in the U.S. for example, don't make millions. Their
sport doesn't generate the BILLIONS required for such a salary. Same could
be said for WNBA players, or before they went belly-up, Arena Football
League Players.

You expect the NFL owners to make the many BILLIONS of dollars per year,
and only pay their best players 1.1 mill a year, or even LESS? Not gonna
happen. When the NFL is at the bottom of the revenue-generated list,
then those salaries will drop.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-06-2009, 11:51 AM
DR is a NFL player and he gets to pay for paying football just like we work to get salary from whoever we work for. In comparison with an ordinary people who work from 9-5, DR make a huge dough. This is one of a reason why many football players or any other sport athletes trying to become a professional athelete.

DR has every right to ask whatever he thinks he deserve(I don't know how much he asked for) and what is wrong with that? Some of us ordinary people may get headhunted by other company with better package or may look for better opportunity by ourselves for better living or ask your current company you work for raise which you think you deserve. Don't we do these things?

Yes, NFL palyers make a lot of money and we ordinarys make much much less. Each market place has its own value and this is the way it is. It is just a part of business.

So, welcome back DR and do your best.

GO TEXANS!!

awtysst
09-06-2009, 12:07 PM

He's back and he's bent.

THAT is a good thing.

Except that he HAS to play lights out in order to get that contract that he desperately wants. He may start and if he does not do well, he might find himself sitting on the bench. Players on the bench do not get paid HUGE salaries. So, basically Dunta MUST play well and play well from the beginning or he likley does not get the huge contract he wants. So, he is in a win bigl/lose big situation.

ChampionTexan
09-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Except that he HAS to play lights out in order to get that contract that he desperately wants. He may start and if he does not do well, he might find himself sitting on the bench. Players on the bench do not get paid HUGE salaries. So, basically Dunta MUST play well and play well from the beginning or he likley does not get the huge contract he wants. So, he is in a win bigl/lose big situation.

That all depends. If Dunta doesn't play well, and it looks to be just a matter of timing and getting back into "Football shape", then he continues to start.

If Dunta starts subpar, and it appears to be a lingering result of his '07 injury, then yes, he probably heads to the bench.

It may be damning with feint praise, but a healthy/almost healthy Dunta who's back/almost back to form is the best CB this team has. The only thing that will put him on the bench (after the first 2-4 weeks) is any lingering effect of the injury.

eriadoc
09-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Players make so much money that most of us can't comprehend it. For those of you getting upset that Dunta might be quibbling over $23 million vs. whatever vs. guaranteed money vs. years on the deal .... I don't hear you complaining that ownership is quibbling over those same dollars and they make exponentially more than the players. Where is the outrage over what the owners rake in?

For those of you upset that Dunta held out this long, I'd remind you that it wasn't a hold out. He was not under contract. Sure, the Texans offered him a contract, but it was one in which Dunta was not protected in case of injury. So he did the best thing for his career. Having already been burned by a career-threatening injury (and one that's profoundly impacted his career security as it is), I don't blame the man one bit.

Furthermore, the man gave his word to Gary Kubiak that the team could count on him for the first week, and it appears he's a man of his word.

I just don't understand how some of you can completely overlook management's handling of this. If they offered him a higher-than-market-value contract and he turned it down, guess what? He has the right to do that. Just like any of you have the right to turn down a contract at any point in your lives. If he felt that the contract didn't work for him, and the two sides disagreed, guess what? He has the right to turn down that contract, just as any of you have the right to refuse any contract in any of your lives. And the reverse is true - the Texans have the right to rescind the contract offer (but you don't see them doing that).

Essentially, it boils down to forced employment or no employment. You and I have the right to refuse any employment contract we want here in Texas. We can just roll on down the road and try and find another offer. Dunta has the right to refuse the contract, but he has no such freedom to find another offer. He's held hostage. So he used to the fullest what few options he had to protect himself.

Again, I don't blame the man one bit.

gary
09-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Truth is, players salaries are commensurate with the revenue that sport
brings. Soccer players, in the U.S. for example, don't make millions. Their
sport doesn't generate the BILLIONS required for such a salary. Same could
be said for WNBA players, or before they went belly-up, Arena Football
League Players.

You expect the NFL owners to make the many BILLIONS of dollars per year,
and only pay their best players 1.1 mill a year, or even LESS? Not gonna
happen. When the NFL is at the bottom of the revenue-generated list,
then those salaries will drop.The same goes for every sport the more funds they bring in the higher the players are paid. I don't feel any owner in any sport to make what he or she makes and just not share the wealth. The fans are part to blame though for shelling out money at games for sports gear and food ect. All that money spent goes to the owners and players but hardcore fans are going to spend cash to show his or her support for their favorite team I don't blame them that's all part of being a fan. Sports has a much bigger global market today then it used to that's another huge factor here that can't be helped and every owner in sports knows that so why not keep on jacking up the cost of every thing.

bckey
09-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I've got no problem with owners raking it in. Never have. They are owners. Players are employees. Bob McNair did a lot to get to where he is today. Most professional football players didn't do squat but play football. Most are given an college education just because of that playing ability. Not saying that there is anything wrong with it

I usually agree with you eriadoc but not on Dunta.

Mr. White
09-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't see what all the outrage is about right now on either side.

The market for CB's is inflated right now. Dunta wants to take advantage of it and see what he's worth on the open market.

The Texans probably think it's a little too risky to give the guy Assante Samuel money right now considering his injury.

I don't think that either side is in the wrong here. They both are acting in their own best interests.

Fans are taking this way too personally.

My opinion: I think I'd rather give the guy his money than to take our chances with someone new. When he's on the field, everyone seems to play better. I don't think it's a coincidence.

GuerillaBlack
09-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I've got no problem with owners raking it in. Never have. They are owners. Players are employees. Bob McNair did a lot to get to where he is today. Most professional football players didn't do squat but play football. Most are given an college education just because of that playing ability. Not saying that there is anything wrong with it

I usually agree with you eriadoc but not on Dunta.

They didn't do squat but play football? LOL. Playing football isn't all that easy. Especially as you move on up.

TheRealJoker
09-06-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm just happy Dunta is coming back!!! This team is a better team with him on it. We may find a replacement for him next season or we may mend fences and pay him but to increase our chances for the playoffs we need him on the field. He's not the leader of the defense (DeMeco), he's not the stud of the defense (Mario), but he's the heart and soul of this entire team and he has been since he first got here and started laying the wood on opposing offensive players.

Mr. White
09-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I've got no problem with owners raking it in. Never have. They are owners. Players are employees.

Players are independent contractors. There's a big difference.

The employees in this situation are working in the front office.

gary
09-06-2009, 01:58 PM
They didn't do squat but play football? LOL. Playing football isn't all that easy. Especially as you move on up.I understand playing football is very tough so they might be paid more but what they make as a whole is still crazy if you ask me I'm just saying. I thank them for putting their body at risk just to preform in front of fans that's not very easy.

SheTexan
09-06-2009, 02:02 PM
He's a TEXAN!! Welcome back Dunta!!!

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2009, 02:34 PM

I approve this message.

Thorn
09-06-2009, 04:14 PM

Despite my negativity concerning Dunta, you're right. I need to get over it. As you say, he's a Texan and we must cheer for all of them.

gary
09-06-2009, 04:26 PM
He has my full support as a player because all I want are wins.

awtysst
09-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Players are independent contractors. There's a big difference.

The employees in this situation are working in the front office.

Well, kinda. An independent contractor can work for anyone they choose. NFL players cannot. NFL players are drafted by a team and then essentially must play for that team. They are not allowed to shop around various teams and then work for the one that best fits with them.

edo783
09-06-2009, 04:28 PM
OK, your back. Now go out and EARN that 9.9. million top 5 money.

steelbtexan
09-06-2009, 04:31 PM
he has my full support as a player because all i want are wins.

ditto

gary
09-06-2009, 04:37 PM
dittoI knew we'd all agree on something.

MojoMan
09-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Robinson is now listed as a starter on the updated depth chart:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depthchart.asp

Who did they release to make room for him?

Thorn
09-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I knew we'd all agree on something.

Gary, the day this BBS all agrees on something is the day the aliens land, fusion power plants are practical, and TV news is balanced and unbiased. LOL

In the meantime, the regular season is upon us and we have to go with what we have. I'm still pissed at Dunta, but rest assured I'll be cheering him on when he plays.

pbat488
09-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I just want to touch on the fact that every one in sports is overpaid let's face it folks the truth is they are. Many years ago when players did not get paid nearly as much but they still played it was because they truely loved to play the game now very few players play just for the love of the game I'm sure they do but not as much as they used to in the 1930d's and 40d's in large part due to these big crazy contracts Dunte's included. Football I tend to understand making big bucks as players do put their entire body on the line every weekend but on the other hand players used to make a lot less and they were still out there for every single game doing what they do best. Cops and firefighters should be making all the bling while they save the lifes of others these stars in the lime light all foreget that or don't care whatsoever. What do they do? Throw and catch a ball in front of fans wow, there are people out there doing a hell of a lot more but getting paid a bag of chips but I guess if we would like to continue to watch games being played then the stars better just keep on getting paid as we all know these days it's all about the cash and every last bit of it. Please foregive me for going a bit off topic but this is how I see things right now.

While admirable and true Gary, it is how it is because the simple fact remains that not many people are born with the God given 'fill in the blank', whether it's size, speed, vision, athleticism, competitiveness, or any other adjective we use to describe football players (and other professional athletes, but I'm just focusing on football). They have a monopoly on the profession because they offer the best product and they get paid deservingly so.

On the other hand, a majority of the population can become a fireman or police officer if they choose to as their profession. There are of course restrictions, such as past criminal history and other limitations, but for the most part, anyone who is driven enough can become a cop or fireman.

It would be nice for NFL players to maybe take 5% off their salary and donate it to fire and police departments.

gary
09-06-2009, 04:54 PM
While admirable and true Gary, it is how it is because the simple fact remains that not many people are born with the God given 'fill in the blank', whether it's size, speed, vision, athleticism, competitiveness, or any other adjective we use to describe football players (and other professional athletes, but I'm just focusing on football). They have a monopoly on the profession because they offer the best product and they get paid deservingly so.

On the other hand, a majority of the population can become a fireman or police officer if they choose to as their profession. There are of course restrictions, such as past criminal history and other limitations, but for the most part, anyone who is driven enough can become a cop or fireman.

It would be nice for NFL players to maybe take 5% off their salary and donate it to fire and police departments.You do have a point that is very well taken and so true I guess some folks do over look how hard it is to become a pro player and we tend to think they all make it when they don't. Great post have some rep.

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Robinson is now listed as a starter on the updated depth chart:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depthchart.asp

Who did they release to make room for him?

No one. They got an exemption from Goodell because of how late he reported. We've got 4 weeks to cut someone.

gary
09-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Gary, the day this BBS all agrees on something is the day the aliens land, fusion power plants are practical, and TV news is balanced and unbiased. LOL

In the meantime, the regular season is upon us and we have to go with what we have. I'm still pissed at Dunta, but rest assured I'll be cheering him on when he plays.LOL, you're right Thorn.

prostock101
09-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Didn't he give up that game winning TD against the Tenn Tampons year before last? Even before he got hurt he wasn't a top 10 CB. When Smith tagged him, he should have kissed him on the mouth and done cartwheels....

bckey
09-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Didn't he give up that game winning TD against the Tenn Tampons year before last? Even before he got hurt he wasn't a top 10 CB. When Smith tagged him, he should have kissed him on the mouth and done cartwheels....

Yeah I was at that game. The first 3 quarters was some of the worst football I have ever seen the Texans play. It was ugly. Then to come back like they did only to lose like they did. Worst game I've been to. And yes it was Dunta that got burned.

GuerillaBlack
09-06-2009, 05:27 PM

There was really nothing else Dunta could have done on that play you are talking about.

ObsiWan
09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah I was at that game. The first 3 quarters was some of the worst football I have ever seen the Texans play. It was ugly. Then to come back like they did only to lose like they did. Worst game I've been to. And yes it was Dunta that got burned.

I remember that play too. Always will. We HAD that game. ...until Robinson gave up that catch.

Houston_Fanatic
09-06-2009, 05:32 PM
No one. They got an exemption from Goodell because of how late he reported. We've got 4 weeks to cut someone.

Wow. I thought only the Patriots scored sweetheart deals like that.

ObsiWan
09-06-2009, 05:34 PM

But the aliens HAVE landed. The Voices told me so.
and Fusion power plants DO exist - they're called stars :)
I can't help you with that TV news thing. Humans are involved.
:bender:

MojoMan
09-06-2009, 05:37 PM

So the Texans will have 54 players for four weeks?

Wow. That is great.

It looks like Dunta's holdout may have actually done something good for the Texans.

Goldensilence
09-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I still think Dunta gets the lions share of credit for the defense improving on the late season run. IMO I still think inserting Adibi into the lineup instead of Greenwood was the initial spark. It's not like the Dunta was lights out in returning. That still bugs me.

That said, nows the time to shut up and play DR. Starting or not I really just want to see us put the best players out on the field for our defense.

thunderkyss
09-06-2009, 05:47 PM

He's back and he's bent.

THAT is a good thing.

I intend to give him my polite "opera" applause.... I will not stand, but I'll be happy to see him.

pbat488
09-06-2009, 05:49 PM

Wow. That is great.

It looks like Dunta's holdout may have actually done something good for the Texans.

Also made our rookies and backup CBs get more experience and playing time than they would have if he was in camp.

Thorn
09-06-2009, 05:50 PM
But the aliens HAVE landed. The Voices told me so.
and Fusion power plants DO exist - they're called stars :)
I can't help you with that TV news thing. Humans are involved.

I'm so glad there are others on this board that are as warped as I am.

Joe Texan
09-06-2009, 07:07 PM

that was a great catch and Dunta was right there Sheet happens get over it

eriadoc
09-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I've got no problem with owners raking it in. Never have. They are owners. Players are employees.

See, the great thing about America is that anyone can go out and rake it in. This is the land of opportunity. I see no reason to pile on anyone trying to do that unless I'm willing to be consistent and pile on the others for doing the same thing.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Extensive article on Dunta's return.

Finally back in the fold, Dunta Robinson has the backing of his teammates and coaches as he readies for the season (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6605518.html)

prostock101
09-06-2009, 10:27 PM
There was really nothing else Dunta could have done on that play you are talking about.

Bottom line is he wasn't the same when he came back last year. I watched him avoid getting tangled up when he'd come up behind on a tackle situation on more than one occasion so I know he was a little tentative.

Before he got hurt, everyone used to ooh and ahh over him making one big hit a game and then he got beat on pass coverage like the rest of the secondary.

Is the worth 10 mil? No. He should leave practice everyday this season and go to Rick Smith's house, wash his car, cook his dinner, tuck in his kids, and stand watch outside all night for that kinda cheese.

However, if he somehow manages to skip camp and preseason and go have a pro bowl year, then.........meh, I'd be willing to change my mind.

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm so glad there are others on this board that are as warped as I am.

Don't kid yourself, old man.

No one is as warped as you are.

No one.

ObsiWan
09-07-2009, 12:36 AM

Wow. That is great.

According to HT.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5534), it's only two weeks; still, that's something

The Texans did not have to release a player to make room for Robinson because they were granted a two-week roster exemption by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell due to Robinson's late reporting date. They will be allowed to have 54 players on their active roster during that time period.

And there's the fact that we got a better look at McCain and Quin than we would have had Robinson been here the whole time.

If he's really ready to play, I don't really see a huge downside - other than the fan drama aspect. And a lot of that is our own creation. In fact, there were some MB members told the rest of us that this is how it would all unfold at the beginning of this little "soap opera".

lawd, what would we do if we had to deal with T.O. or Ochocinco or Shawne Merriman on a regular basis?

barrett
09-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Wow. I thought only the Patriots scored sweetheart deals like that.

Did you see they just got ANOTHER 1st day pick? The reign continues. Picks, picks and more picks....

Thorn
09-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Don't kid yourself, old man.

No one is as warped as you are.

No one.

Thank you. :)

lawd, what would we do if we had to deal with T.O. or Ochocinco or Shawne Merriman on a regular basis?

This board would explode in a fiery concussion that would put even the biggest supernova to shame.

TexanBacker93
09-07-2009, 05:55 AM
According to HT.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5534), it's only two weeks; still, that's something

And there's the fact that we got a better look at McCain and Quin than we would have had Robinson been here the whole time.

If he's really ready to play, I don't really see a huge downside - other than the fan drama aspect. And a lot of that is our own creation. In fact, there were some MB members told the rest of us that this is how it would all unfold at the beginning of this little "soap opera".

It also gives Reeves a chance to heal without losing a roster spot. I wonder if one of the corners or one of the WRs will get cut.

False Start
09-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Its a good thing hes back, he will help the secondary tremendously. I'm still not a fan of how he handled the situation. BTW... someone needs to give him the Cushing treatment regarding his hair, hes starting to look like The Predator. :thisbig:

whiskeyrbl
09-07-2009, 08:38 AM
After a putting alot of thought into the whole hold out thing I think I will cheer for Robinson on Sunday. Although I think he could have been more of a team player...ala Meco and Daniels he does improve our defense. And really thats what it is about. We found out we have two very young promising CB's thanks to his absence but now it's time to win some games. If the players and coaches welcome him back with open arms I will too.:fans:

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2009, 08:40 AM
610 just ran an audio clip of Kubiak: (Paraphrase) "Dunta will not see any CONTACT before the Sunday game, and we'll see how he does (conditioning). If he does OK, we'll see about putting him out there."

Is this what we call "game ready?" Oh, I get it, he's a veteran.

SheTexan
09-07-2009, 08:44 AM
that was a great catch and Dunta was right there Sheet happens get over it

BS Joe!!! Dunta got burned, pure and simple! Sure sheeeeettt happens, but, Dunta is not above reproach. He's messed up plenty of times! I agree that was the WORST game in Texan history! BUT, anytime we lose to the meatballs is a "worst" game for me.

On Sept 13th 53/54 TEXANS will run out on that field, and everyone of them will have my diehard support! :texan:

Texans_Chick
09-07-2009, 09:19 AM
My complete take here:

Welcoming Dunta and a happy anniversary (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/09/welcoming_dunta_and_a_happy_an.html)

An excerpt-

I for one, welcome him back, not that he cares. There are players that are easy to root for, and ones that are more difficult. He went from the easy to root for category (big hitting leader working hard to come back from injury) to a guy who is hard to root for (guy getting paid big bucks, skips offseason prep and will have a hard time playing to his money, offseason disgruntlement based on wanting the right to go to a different team). If he cared at all what the fans think, he would have done his offseason work like every other franchised player this year did.

I think Robinson sums up the situation perfectly:

"I don't know what to expect from the fans, They've always been great to me. I'll have to earn their trust on the field with my play. But I want everybody to know I'm so excited to be back that I'm going to feel like a rookie stepping on the field for the first time."

Yup. I'm not inclined to boo anyone in a Texans uniform, even when they are playing dreadfully. I figure that doesn't help the team at all, so there's no point in it. Some people take the view that they pay to see winning football, and that they are entitled to boo if they see garbage.

I just have a hard time seeing how Dunta Robinson's play on the field will be so excellent to justify both his salary and his offseason diva act.

He can talk all he wants about team and about wanting to be in Houston, but his offseason behavior was all about getting the right to haul ass.

I'm rooting for him because him playing well is in my fan interest but I'm not sure that this ends well for him. What DR said was right--he's going to have to earn our trust back, and that's not going to be easy.

Lucky
09-07-2009, 10:37 AM
He can talk all he wants about team and about wanting to be in Houston, but his offseason behavior was all about getting the right to haul ass.
I think it's more accurate to suggest that Dunta's actions were more about getting paid. Which as a professional athlete, should be foremost on his mind. This is likely Dunta's last opportunity to get a big $$$ guaranteed contract. Why wouldn't he do everything he can to serve his interests?

What about the Texans organization's accountability regarding Robinson's training camp absence? Do we really know what contract was offered to Dunta? Really? Was there no compromise available, or even offered to Dunta, that would entice Robinson to sign his franchise offer sheet? It's not as if Smith & Kubiak couldn't foresee the distinct possibility that Dunta would skip camp and the exhibition season if tagged. Why don't these guys gets half the blame for this standoff?

I'm not blaming either side. Both were serving their perceived interests. Robinson could have gained important knowledge of the new Texans defensive schemes (if such exist) had he participated in the camps. Or, he could have broken his leg, as did his teammate Jacques Reeves. Who can say? All I know is that Robinson is on the team, now. And in my estimation, the team is better for it.

Allow me to address the pretzel logic that exists among some of the Dunta-haters. You don't think Robinson is worth the contract he was offered by the Texans (even though you don't know the details). You don't think Robinson is worth the franchise tag or the $$$ that goes with it. Yet, you criticize Dunta for not eagerly accepting the Texans contract offered or immediately signing the franchise tag? It seems to me that you would be upset at the Texans for offering the contract to Dunta and wasting the cap space by employing the $10 million franchise tag. Couldn't that cap space had been better served on a better CB? If you really believe that Robinson is a sub-par defender, your animosity is misplaced.

Finally, let me talk about trust. In his previous 5 seasons as a Texan, Dunta Robinson's effort and performance on the field had earned my trust. Over and over again. In contrast, the Texans' current organization has yet to earn my trust that they can build a winning team. They may not be as inept as their predecessors. But, they haven't accomplished their goal...yet. In my opinion, Dunta Robinson is a better NFL player than Gary Kubiak is a NFL head coach or Rick Smith is a NFL general manager. If I had to choose whom to keep, or whom to trust, I choose Dunta.

GP
09-07-2009, 10:40 AM
My complete take here:

Welcoming Dunta and a happy anniversary (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/09/welcoming_dunta_and_a_happy_an.html)

An excerpt-

I'm rooting for him because him playing well is in my fan interest but I'm not sure that this ends well for him. What DR said was right--he's going to have to earn our trust back, and that's not going to be easy.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

And I think OD and 'Meco were initially headed down that same path as Dunta, but they pulled back and figured out that they better get into camp and handle their business as players should.

So in the end, guys like OD and 'Meco were out there with the team--practicing and playing in scrimmages and games--and look what it's done for them: They both looked good, and they showed that they still want to be here.

Dunta didn't want to be here until it started costing him money.

I just can't rationalize it like some are doing around here. He could have joined the team at the start of camp, and made the stipulation that he wants to wear a red jersey and maybe even be held out of preseason games.

There's things that he could have done to show that he wants to be here.

IMO, he did none of them. His team colors are shades of green ($$$$).

Lucky
09-07-2009, 10:42 AM
He could have joined the team at the start of camp, and made the stipulation that he wants to wear a red jersey and maybe even be held out of preseason games.
Are you serious?

eriadoc
09-07-2009, 11:16 AM
And I think OD and 'Meco were initially headed down that same path as Dunta, but they pulled back and figured out that they better get into camp and handle their business as players should.

So in the end, guys like OD and 'Meco were out there with the team--practicing and playing in scrimmages and games

You continue to ignore one very key point - OD and Ryans were under contract. Dunta was not. Without a contract, Dunta was free to sit at home and eat bon bons if he wanted. He was not employed. OD and Ryans were under contract, being paid to attend camp. Dunta Robinson was not.

silvrhand
09-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Dunta is fresh. Hungry. Ego bruised. 100%. pre-injury he was a top 5 CB, how quickly people forget. he is a leader. has natural playmaking skills that should help T/O ratio: also let the rookies show what they got. love McCain & think he should be #2a. Quinn looks more like a nickle/FS. someone confirm that Busing reminds you a little of Lynch in his younger days~

This gives David something to work with as a core group moving forward. like the offensive line improvement last year it takes reps & continuity. Throw Reeves into the mix & I'll wager Bennett has a tough time holding down the starting RCB duties.

It's gonna be OK trust me. Bye-week a 6-3 Texans team will be poised for their first post season run. that's what Dunta means to Texans :logo:

Even before his injury he was not a top 5 CB, top 10 maybe, but he never has followed up with anything close to his rookie year. Yah he's a strong tackler, but so what if he's making all the tackles as a CB we got some serious issues that he's not going to fix.

Deon Sanders couldn't tackle his way out of a wet paper bag, but probably still one of the best game changing CB's in the game ever.

Lucky
09-07-2009, 11:47 AM
BS Joe!!! Dunta got burned, pure and simple!
I don't think it's BS or that simple. Here is the replay (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2007102103/2007/REG7/titans@texans/recap#tab:watch) (around the 4:30 mark), where you can see that Richard Smith went with another ill concieved, poorly timed blitz that had no chance of getting to the QB. It was a brilliant throw by Collins to Williams, and Dunta had tight man coverage. Had there been a safety over the top, rather than a LB stuck at the line of scrimmage, the pass possibly could have been broken up. Or maybe Collins never attempts to go there. We will never know, but to place the entire blame on Robinson seems to be very debatable.

Not suggesting that Robinson has never had a bad play or a bad game (2005 Rams game comes to mind). Just that his good plays and good games far outweigh the bad.

Dapper
09-07-2009, 11:56 AM
He has my full support as a player because all I want are wins.

:goodpost:I'm with you there> SHOW ME THE W'S!!

Marcus
09-07-2009, 11:57 AM
You continue to ignore one very key point - OD and Ryans were under contract. Dunta was not. Without a contract, Dunta was free to sit at home and eat bon bons if he wanted. He was not employed. OD and Ryans were under contract, being paid to attend camp. Dunta Robinson was not.

And you keep ignoring the point that all he had to do was sign it and report. He didn't gain a damn thing by holding out.

eriadoc
09-07-2009, 12:11 PM
And you keep ignoring the point that all he had to do was sign it and report. He didn't gain a damn thing by holding out.

First of all, it's a free country. He shouldn't be forced to sign anything. If he didn't want to sign, he didn't have to sign. Second, he did gain something - an injury-free preseason. With no prospect for security beyond this season, he did the one thing he could do to protect himself as much as he could.

Marcus
09-07-2009, 12:13 PM
610 just ran an audio clip of Kubiak: (Paraphrase) "Dunta will not see any CONTACT before the Sunday game, and we'll see how he does (conditioning). If he does OK, we'll see about putting him out there."

Is this what we call "game ready?" Oh, I get it, he's a veteran.

:thud:

I can just see it right now. Watch who the "Smith Kubiak haters" will point their fingers at if the "game ready" no CONTACT top 5 shut-down 'predator' gets lit gets up on Sunday.

:rolleyes:

Marcus
09-07-2009, 12:20 PM
First of all, it's a free country. He shouldn't be forced to sign anything. If he didn't want to sign, he didn't have to sign. Second, he did gain something - an injury-free preseason. With no prospect for security beyond this season, he did the one thing he could do to protect himself as much as he could.

You're wrong again. He would have been guaranteed the $10 million as soon as he signed. He could have broken his leg on the first play of scrimmage in training camp and still would have gotten the $10 million. He didn't gain anything by holding out.

Lucky
09-07-2009, 12:23 PM
"Dunta will not see any CONTACT before the Sunday game, and we'll see how he does (conditioning). If he does OK, we'll see about putting him out there."
That's a little misleading. How many players will see contact this week? If Kubiak thinks Robinson gives the team the best chance to win, that's his decision.

I can just see it right now. Watch who the "Smith Kubiak haters" will point their fingers at if the "game ready" no CONTACT top 5 shut-down 'predator' gets lit gets up on Sunday.
We know the Teflon men can do no wrong.

Kubiak's job is to put the best possible team on the field. The onus is on the head coach to get it right. The buck stops with Gary Kubiak.

silvrhand
09-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Some quotes that I found this morning:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6606037.html

No fan of camp
Offensive tackle Eric Winston said he was jealous of cornerback Dunta Robinson missing training camp and preseason.
ďHe probably added a couple of years to his NFL career just by missing training camp,Ē outside linebacker Zac Diles said.

silvrhand
09-07-2009, 12:25 PM

I'm sorry but no injury in pre-season? Come on are you kidding me it's a LOT worse to go into the season not in football/contact shape. If you get hurt by some freak accident in pre-season, yah it sucks. In a game, going 110% you are much more likely to get hurt coming in cold instead of coming into the pre-season and getting your reps.

Sitting out for injury, that's crap. They could have worked that out fine, it was all about the money and how Dante felt he was getting "disrespected".

Lucky
09-07-2009, 12:26 PM
You're wrong again. He would have been guaranteed the $10 million as soon as he signed.
Did you bother to read this sentence?

With no prospect for security beyond this season, he did the one thing he could do to protect himself as much as he could.

eriadoc
09-07-2009, 12:29 PM
You're wrong again. He would have been guaranteed the $10 million as soon as he signed. He could have broken his leg on the first play of scrimmage in training camp and still would have gotten the $10 million. He didn't gain anything by holding out.

If I'm wrong, then you have reading comprehension issues.

Did you bother to read this sentence?

No, he didn't. At least, I hope that's his excuse.

eriadoc
09-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm sorry but no injury in pre-season? Come on are you kidding me it's a LOT worse to go into the season not in football/contact shape. If you get hurt by some freak accident in pre-season, yah it sucks. In a game, going 110% you are much more likely to get hurt coming in cold instead of coming into the pre-season and getting your reps.

Sitting out for injury, that's crap. They could have worked that out fine, it was all about the money and how Dante felt he was getting "disrespected".

"They" didn't seem to be interested in working anything out, since negotiations stopped a long time ago. And just to be clear, I agree with your sentiment that "they" should have worked things out. But "they" includes more than just Robinson, who is all anyone here seems to think "they" involves. Both sides have equal blame in this, IMO. But at the end of the day, it's just business. Both sides did what they felt like they had to do, and I don't see the consistency in getting pissed at one side over the other.

Marcus
09-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Well, if you're going to get hung up on the "beyond this season" angle, what difference would it make if he got hurt in preseason or the regular season? He gets the $10 million no matter when he gets hurt.

eriadoc
09-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, if you're going to get hung up on the "beyond this season" angle, what difference would it make if he got hurt in preseason or the regular season? He gets the $10 million no matter when he gets hurt.

The difference is what is deemed acceptable risk by the parties involved. If Dunta gets injured in practice like Reeves, for instance, he gets the ten million and he's out again until whenever. At that point, his value has declined even further. If Dunta gets hurt in a game at some point in the season, he at least has some game tape to show prospective employers what he can do. That same game tape halfway through the '07 season and for the latter half of the '08 season is probably a big reason why the Texans just didn't let him enter free agency.

As an aside, I'm not 100% sure that what you assert is true, either. If a player on a one-year deal gets injured in preseason, they are only receiving preseason pay, and an injury settlement usually ensues. I'm not clear as to the circumstances, but think of Cato June as an example. He didn't get his contract, he got an injury settlement. So unless the $9.x million is classified as a signing bonus, which is the only true guaranteed money in the NFL, Robinson is still playing for a paycheck each week.

ObsiWan
09-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Sure he did. He got to take the spring off.
And as long as he reports in shape, and plays well, I don't much care.

I'm with Lucky. Both sides share responsibility.

In fact, I'll take it a step further. I think both mgmt and Dunta knew how this little "saga" was going to unfold the whole, entire time. I'll bet some of the players - the ones that Dunta was close to - knew what the game was also.
Think about it.
Mgmt made absolutely NO move to entice Dunta to come in early nor did they indicate they were looking to recind their offer if he didn't show up by some deadline (say the start of T/C or the 3rd P/S game just to pick a couple out of the air).
And the only "compromise" Dunta made - to come in if Rick promised not to franchise him next year - is one he knew - HE KNEW - the Texans wouldn't budge on.

Face it my friends.
Any and everyone who got emotional about this issue may well have been PLAYED by both sides.

ChampionTexan
09-07-2009, 12:46 PM
The difference is what is deemed acceptable risk by the parties involved. If Dunta gets injured in practice like Reeves, for instance, he gets the ten million and he's out again until whenever. At that point, his value has declined even further. If Dunta gets hurt in a game at some point in the season, he at least has some game tape to show prospective employers what he can do. That same game tape halfway through the '07 season and for the latter half of the '08 season is probably a big reason why the Texans just didn't let him enter free agency.

As an aside, I'm not 100% sure that what you assert is true, either. If a player on a one-year deal gets injured in preseason, they are only receiving preseason pay, and an injury settlement usually ensues. I'm not clear as to the circumstances, but think of Cato June as an example. He didn't get his contract, he got an injury settlement. So unless the $9.x million is classified as a signing bonus, which is the only true guaranteed money in the NFL, Robinson is still playing for a paycheck each week.

I agree with most of your points, but the franchise amount is 100% guaranteed from the moment it's signed - whether that's in May, or September.

eriadoc
09-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree with most of your points, but the franchise amount is 100% guaranteed from the moment it's signed - whether that's in May, or September.

Good to know. That was the point I was unclear on. Thanks.

Marcus
09-07-2009, 12:57 PM

aj. is pretty good with this. His post (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1233324&postcount=80) in the other thread refers to the tender from being franchised. At least that's what I got from it.

Marcus
09-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Sure he did. He got to take the spring off.
And as long as he reports in shape, and plays well, I don't much care.

Hey, that's all I want, for him to play well on Sunday. I know a few around here won't believe it, but I just want the team to win also. And Dunta playing well give them the best chance.

Runner
09-07-2009, 01:59 PM

I want to be clear on this. Am I a "Smith Kubiak hater" because I believe they share the responsibility of the results on the field? They have the power to pick the players, decide who of those players play, set up the offense/defense, call the plays, etc. They are also getting paid well to build a winner. With that power comes responsibility - just as the players have a responsibilty to perform to the best of their abilitlites and win.

I believe in other posts you have claimed Kubiak can't be blamed for losses. If you haven't, maybe I don't remember correctly; I haven't bothered looking. I really don't understand how someone can claim that the coaches aren't responsible for losses, especially if they also claim they are great coaches because they turned around a 2-14 team.

===========

I think I am labelled a Smith hater because I don't treat him as if he has no faults.

disaacks3
09-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Nothing heals the wounds faster than success. I HOPE that D-Rob has multiple picks and shuts down his side of the field for the night against the Jets.

Do I think this is a likely scenario? No, but I can always hope! This team looks like they need a spark after a 'less-than-stellar' pre-season. I'll take the return of Pitts, Cushing and D-Rob to the starting lineup as the positive note I've been hoping for. I just hope it's enough and that all three aren't too rusty to play at or near 100%.

keyser
09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Allow me to address the pretzel logic that exists among some of the Dunta-haters. You don't think Robinson is worth the contract he was offered by the Texans (even though you don't know the details). You don't think Robinson is worth the franchise tag or the $$$ that goes with it. Yet, you criticize Dunta for not eagerly accepting the Texans contract offered or immediately signing the franchise tag? It seems to me that you would be upset at the Texans for offering the contract to Dunta and wasting the cap space by employing the $10 million franchise tag. Couldn't that cap space had been better served on a better CB? If you really believe that Robinson is a sub-par defender, your animosity is misplaced.

I don't speak for everyone, but that bold part is wrong. I think that original contract (w/ $23M guaranteed) was OK. I think it was taking a (pretty decent) gamble as to whether he was worth that much, especially coming off of the injury. But, I don't think it was unreasonable, and I'm not upset that they offered it. I'm also not upset with Dunta for turning it down, even though I feel it was very generous - that's his right, certainly, if he feels he could get much more. And, I don't feel he is a "sub-par" defender. I think he's one of the better defenders (my opinion of him has actually improved over the past several years), but I don't think he's one of the top 5 or even top 10 CBs. Probably more like top 20.

Given that they couldn't agree on the contract, the Texans took their only option and franchised him. I can't say I'm real happy with the team for doing this, since I think it is overpaying for his skill level. I also think that they might have let him look around at other teams, and their original offer or something close to it might have been accepted instead, since I don't think others would have offered much if any more. But, it's not an unreasonable option - it's only one year, and gives them a chance to see how well he recovers from his injury. In fact, it was probably their cheapest option to see how he would recover! He would not have signed for less guaranteed money, obviously. Given the team's need at CB (less so after this draft, though), it was not unreasonable to use the frachise tag.

At that point Dunta decided to not sign right away, while he could still negotiate with other teams, who would have to match or trade. No problem with this. But, at some point, he lost the ability to even do that. It is at that point that he became a holdout - refusing a (very very) generous salary, mainly to "pout." Sitting out from that point on does not help the team and it does not help him become a better player (it actually lowers his value to the team). Basically, Dunta's failure to show up for preseason hurts the team, and did not improve his own situation at all.

So, my feelings for the various parts of this, from 1-10 with 1 being "not at all bothered by it" and 10 being "incredibly bothered by it and I'm permanantly going to have a negative opinion as a result" would be something like:

Texans making original multi-year offer (as reported): 3
Dunta turning that offer down: 2
Texans using the franchise tag: 5
Dunta not signing while other teams could still negotiate with him: 1
Dunta not signing and choosing to sit out all pre-season after he had no other options if he wanted to play this year: 9
Texans not withdrawing the franchise tag after drafting two CBs and Dunta continuing to hold out: 3

gary
09-07-2009, 03:41 PM
There isn't any doubt about it but just in case there was a sliver of doubt Dunte is surely back and got a nice welcome back by each and every one of his teamates.

http://www.chron.com/sports/ (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6605518.html)

Marcus
09-07-2009, 04:05 PM
I want to be clear on this. Am I a "Smith Kubiak hater" because I believe they share the responsibility of the results on the field? They have the power to pick the players, decide who of those players play, set up the offense/defense, call the plays, etc. They are also getting paid well to build a winner. With that power comes responsibility - just as the players have a responsibilty to perform to the best of their abilitlites and win.

I believe in other posts you have claimed Kubiak can't be blamed for losses. If you haven't, maybe I don't remember correctly; I haven't bothered looking. I really don't understand how someone can claim that the coaches aren't responsible for losses, especially if they also claim they are great coaches because they turned around a 2-14 team.

===========

I think I am labelled a Smith hater because I don't treat him as if he has no faults.

You have a right to criticize Smith and Kubiak for anything you feel like criticizing them for, Runner. Just as I have a right to criticize Dunta for anything that I feel like critcizing him for, without someone calling me, or anyone else who chooses to criticize him, "a Dunta hater".

What goes around comes around.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2009, 04:43 PM
It's interesting how high Dunta fared on the monetary tender end compared to the other 13 2009 NFL tagged players. FYI LINK (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1496461/2009_nfl_players_with_franchise_tags_pg2.html?cat= 14)

Runner
09-07-2009, 04:45 PM
You have a right to criticize Smith and Kubiak for anything you feel like criticizing them for, Runner. Just as I have a right to criticize Dunta for anything that I feel like critcizing him for, without someone calling me, or anyone else who chooses to criticize him, "a Dunta hater".

What goes around comes around.

I see. Kind of a name calling thing.

===========

My whole view of the "hater" word.*

1) I don't use it much, if at all. Something else I need to do a search on.

2) I see a lot of players criticized, fairly and unfairly, IMO. I don't consider that "hating". I think the race to see who can talk the toughest about Dunta (piece of shit, kiss my ass) cross a line away from intelligent discourse that could be termed "hating".

3) I don't see anyone calling Smith a worthless pos or the like because he can't get a negotiation completed recently, for picking Okoye so early, bad free agent signings, or any of the other things that aren't as perfect as those who can't accept any criticism of him make him out to be. Therefore, I wouldn't consider these criticisms "hating".

4) I think a lot of the toughest "he can kiss my ass" talkers would be the ones puckering if they met Dunta socially, for instance if they were randomly sharing a table at Benihana. That's just an opinion though.

* if anyone cares

gary
09-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Cloak, I am unable to click on your link.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Cloak, I am unable to click on your link.

Sorry, fixed the link.

gary
09-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Sorry, fixed the link.Thanks, great stuff some rep coming your way.

Lucky
09-07-2009, 05:04 PM
It's interesting how high Dunta fared on the monetary tender end compared to the other 13 2009 NFL tagged players. FYI LINK (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1496461/2009_nfl_players_with_franchise_tags_pg2.html?cat= 14)
It's difficult to compare as franchise tag amounts are based upon positions. Robinson was the only CB to receive the franchise tag in 2009.

Mr. White
09-07-2009, 05:07 PM

===========

I guess I must be a "Smithiak" hater too because I think they should be accountable just like anyone else.

Not to mention that's where the buck stops.

TEXANRED
09-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I guess I must be a "Smithiak" hater too because I think they should be accountable just like anyone else.

Not to mention that's where the buck stops.

I am not a Smithiak hater by no means. They have done a great job of putting talent on the field.

However, I will be a Kubiak hater if he challenges one more play. :turtle:

Bubbajwp
09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
I dont see how this is anybodies fault. It played out exactly how it should have. There is no way that the Texans could offer Drob a long term deal when you dont know what kind of player he will be. Which is why you franchise him for a season and see how he does. Then go from there. Drob did what was best for him and his family if he gets hurt in training camp or preseason then he gets nothing and then nobody is going to offer him a long term deal.

IMO this is the only way it could have played out.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2009, 05:26 PM
It's difficult to compare as franchise tag amounts are based upon positions. Robinson was the only CB to receive the franchise tag in 2009.

Agreed. Neverless, you can still read in between the lines on proven value, proven consistency and likeliness to continue top performance.

Lucky
09-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Agreed. Neverless, you can still read in between the lines on proven value, proven consistency and likeliness to continue top performance.
Of the players that were tagged, I would only rank Julius Peppers and Terrell Suggs above Robinson in those categories. Suggs received a long term deal and Peppers gets $16.7 million for a season's work.

That teams are franchising kickers and backups tells me how outdated the franchise tag has become. The salary cap has risen to such astronomical levels that even the most poorly run organizations can afford to keep any player they wish. The tag is used by manangement strictly as a leverage device, or a tool to keep a player without committing long term. No wonder players are so perturbed when getting tagged.

Marcus
09-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I dont see how this is anybodies fault. It played out exactly how it should have. There is no way that the Texans could offer Drob a long term deal when you dont know what kind of player he will be. Which is why you franchise him for a season and see how he does. Then go from there. Drob did what was best for him and his family if he gets hurt in training camp or preseason then he gets nothing and then nobody is going to offer him a long term deal.

I guess what I don't understand is where this myth that Dunta wouldn't get any money if he got hurt in training camp comes from. I guess it's that old saying that if you repeat a lie long enough, it must be true.

gary
09-07-2009, 05:58 PM
The man is a Texan now darn it and all this crap is over let's all just put this story to bed already and support Dunte the player and then after the season is over go from there. Right now we're just guessing on what caused all of this or how it all went down when we don't know for sure and nor will we ever know 100 percent what happend behind closed doors so we're just going round and round in one big circle. I have openly had my doubts about Dunte on this board but I support my team and Dunte is on that team him being a Texan is beyond our control wether you love him or hate him as you cheer for the team you also will be cheering on Dunte as well like it or not. Both sides should have handled it in a better manner but the clock won't turn back now it's all water under a bridge at this point so let's see how he does this season before we go gaga over him or look down on him. I am ready to win football games this season and if that means Dunte playing well and me screaming my lungs out to cheer him on then I'm all for that. GO TEXANS

Bubbajwp
09-07-2009, 06:00 PM
I guess what I don't understand is where this myth that Dunta wouldn't get any money if he got hurt in training camp comes from. I guess it's that old saying that if you repeat a lie long enough, it must be true.

So who is going to give him a large long term contract if he does get hurt. Nobody in other word he gets nothing.

Pantherstang84
09-07-2009, 06:41 PM
So who is going to give him a large long term contract if he does get hurt. Nobody in other word he gets nothing.

And...

Who is going to give him a long contract if he gets hurt during the season? Nobody in other words he gets nothing.

He really had nothing to lose by signing the tender and getting to camp. He was getting paid the minute he signed.

Anyway, I'm tired of talking about it. In reality he did win in the end. IF it takes him 2-3 weeks to get in game shape, then he gets $10 million to play in 13-14 games.

ObsiWan
09-07-2009, 06:57 PM
The man is a Texan now darn it and all this crap is over let's all just put this story to bed already and support Dunte the player and then after the season is over go from there. Right now we're just guessing on what caused all of this or how it all went down when we don't know for sure and nor will we ever know 100 percent what happend behind closed doors so we're just going round and round in one big circle. I have openly had my doubts about Dunte on this board but I support my team and Dunte is on that team him being a Texan is beyond our control wether you love him or hate him as you cheer for the team you also will be cheering on Dunte as well like it or not. Both sides should have handled it in a better manner but the clock won't turn back now it's all water under a bridge at this point so let's see how he does this season before we go gaga over him or look down on him. I am ready to win football games this season and if that means Dunte playing well and me screaming my lungs out to cheer him on then I'm all for that. GO TEXANS

aww come onnn Gary. You know we like to fuss. If we put this behind us, what other juicy stuff will we have to argue about? ...who should be the #2 QB? Not nearly as juicy.

Get your yelling voices ready folks.
Season starts in 6 days!!
:doot:

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2009, 06:57 PM

That's what disability insurance is for. Professional athletes, including "High profile athletes" have the option to obtain their own personal policies. Limits are based on value and potential earnings. The pay out numbers can be mind-boggling. (http://www.whowriteswhatdirectory.com/Exceptional-Risk-Advisors-LLC-cp295921.htm) But most choose to go with the cheaper NFLPA coverage.

gary
09-07-2009, 07:16 PM
aww come onnn Gary. You know we like to fuss. If we put this behind us, what other juicy stuff will we have to argue about? ...who should be the #2 QB? Not nearly as juicy.

Get your yelling voices ready folks.
Season starts in 6 days!!
:doot:I feel like I am at a circus with a ring master already.

barrett
09-07-2009, 09:51 PM
And...

Who is going to give him a long contract if he gets hurt during the season? Nobody in other words he gets nothing.

He really had nothing to lose by signing the tender and getting to camp. He was getting paid the minute he signed.

Anyway, I'm tired of talking about it. In reality he did win in the end. IF it takes him 2-3 weeks to get in game shape, then he gets $10 million to play in 13-14 games.

It's really about risk management. Every snap he would have taken in practices and meaningless games would have risked his future payout further. By the same account, you can argue that not practicing with his team and new DC could be just as big of a risk for the same payout.

It's complicated. That's really why I seriously doubt that it's about anyone "hating" anybody. (not saying that you specifically are suggesting that.) But there are alot of factors that make it complicated and then you sprinkle a little CBA mystery and you've got yourself a pretty good debate!

thunderkyss
09-07-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm not liking how this thread is going in general. Some guys are already looking for someone to blame if/when Dunta gets burned.

Truth of the matter is, it will be your fault. All of you who believe he is a top 5 CB.

He isn't, and has never been a top 5 CB. He can't cover the rice, much less an NFL #1 WR. Well, he can keep an NFL #1 from getting major YaC, and there is some value there. But he isn't much for preventing the catch in the first place, which is what we need.

He's got burnt before, will be burnt again.... to expect otherwise is comical.

Not to mention even the best will get burnt now and again.

dalemurphy
09-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm not liking how this thread is going in general. Some guys are already looking for someone to blame if/when Dunta gets burned.

Truth of the matter is, it will be your fault. All of you who believe he is a top 5 CB.

He isn't, and has never been a top 5 CB. He can't cover the rice, much less an NFL #1 WR. Well, he can keep an NFL #1 from getting major YaC, and there is some value there. But he isn't much for preventing the catch in the first place, which is what we need.

He's got burnt before, will be burnt again.... to expect otherwise is comical.

Not to mention even the best will get burnt now and again.

Perhaps he isn't a top 5 CB. That being said, we sure can use his aggressiveness, physicality, tackling ability, and playmaking ability. He doesn't allow us to roll our safeties away from his side of the field every play but I'm guessing that he's going to make a heck of a lot of plays with this season's pass rush and agressive philosophy. I'm glad he's back!

GuerillaBlack
09-07-2009, 10:57 PM
If Dunta was just a little taller. Like two inches. ;)

thunderkyss
09-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Perhaps he isn't a top 5 CB. That being said, we sure can use his aggressiveness, physicality, tackling ability, and playmaking ability.

He's been a big part of our run defense. With him in the game, you can't run to his side.

But that's also the reason he will get burned. He is very aggresive. He's very instinctive. He likes to get his nose in the middle of it.

We need him to play the pass. We need him to take Cotchery(sp) or whatever WR is on his side of the field out of the game.

With Mario & Cushing playing the edges, hopefully, we won't need Dunta to force the run back inside.

I'm glad he's back..... don't get me wrong. But I hope he's better than that guy we saw at the end of 2008.

Mr teX
09-08-2009, 08:44 AM

Ridiculous. Dunta was in PERFECT position. Collins just threw a perfect pass & we all know that a perfect pass beats perfect coverage anyday of the week & twice on sundays.

dalemurphy
09-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Ridiculous. Dunta was in PERFECT position. Collins just threw a perfect pass & we all know that a perfect pass beats perfect coverage anyday of the week & twice on sundays.

Are you also a J. Reeves fan? because, Reeves is consistently in good position and forces good throws by the QB. However, most on this board, can't stand the guy because of his inability to consistently play the ball.

The Pencil Neck
09-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Are you also a J. Reeves fan? because, Reeves is consistently in good position and forces good throws by the QB. However, most on this board, can't stand the guy because of his inability to consistently play the ball.

Actually, iirc, Dunta was doing a pretty good Reeves impersonation on that play. Perfect position and not even looking back for the ball.

I'm hoping that was a Hoke thing and that we'll start looking back now that we've got a new DB coach.

Dread-Head
09-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Welcome back Robinson...now get a haircut! Nobody's wearing dreadlocks anymore!

El Tejano
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM

And he played better when he didn't have them.

HOU-TEX
09-08-2009, 11:35 AM
And he played better when he didn't have them.

I think he's had dreads since he's been here. They've just been growing longer as the years go by.

Double Barrel
09-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Welcome back, 23!! Now let's kick some Jets butt!! :texflag:

TimeKiller
09-08-2009, 12:50 PM

He is getting that Asante Samuel vibe going isn't he? With all the dreads and hating of the franchise tag and such...

Welcome back 23, let's all hope you're as good outside your head as you are inside your head.