PDA

View Full Version : When will Dunta report to camp?

Hottoddie
09-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Anyone know when Dunta plans on reporting to camp? How do you think the coaches & players will receive him since he's missed all of spring training & preseason? Please tell me he's not going to wait until gameday to show up. Any updates?

Edit: I guess that should read " report to the team.".

m5kwatts
09-05-2009, 03:27 PM
If he's not here by Monday morning I'm gonna start to worry

Also if he's not here by Monday morning he'll at best get nickel duty if he does end up reporting before week 1.

blitz90
09-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Between now and Friday is what I heard on 1560 and 610.

DiehardChris
09-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Between now and Friday is what I heard on 1560 and 610.

Wow they really went out on a limb. LOL

texasguy346
09-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I recall reading somewhere that Tuesday is the last day he can report before he starts to lose money. So my bet would be that he shows up then.

Honoring Earl 34
09-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Who ?

Wolf
09-05-2009, 04:19 PM
at this point, I could care less if he reports ..I wish we could trade his ass to the Raiders or someone ... I know he is an asset to the team but it has irritated me that he can skip all of training camp and then come in and decide he can play now and collect his check and there are guys that have been busting their tail from day one of training camp

I realize he is going to basically take a guy's spot that would be #53 on the depth chart but ...I am still irritated that we have new coaches and schemes and he can't come in and learn it before season starts

m5kwatts
09-05-2009, 04:22 PM
The Adrian Peterson big run the first play of the MNF game was right through Adibi's gap yes, but McCain had a clear shot at him too....Dunta makes that tackle. Please come back Dunta.

Jackie Chiles
09-05-2009, 04:29 PM
The Adrian Peterson big run the first play of the MNF game was right through Adibi's gap yes, but McCain had a clear shot at him too....Dunta makes that tackle. Please come back Dunta.

I didn't look at McCain on that play but Bennett was in terrible position. He pretty much just ran into the back of Mario as Adrian shot through the hole.

TexansFanatic
09-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I wish we could trade his ass to the Raiders or someone ...

Screw that. Detroit. I want him in a city with a crappy team AND crappy weather.

Hervoyel
09-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I wonder if he'd escalate this to sitting out real games. It wouldn't surprise me one bit at this point. Dunta's accomplished nothing but to cut off his own nose to spite his face so far.

Hottoddie
09-05-2009, 05:10 PM
What I find to be really odd is that he hasn't even talked to his coach & it would seem he hasn't even talked with any of his teammates. If he had, we would've heard something by now. It's Rick he has issues with, not the coaches. This just 'aint right.

Marcus
09-05-2009, 05:24 PM
:includeme:

WesmanTexanfan
09-05-2009, 05:35 PM
If he doesn't report by monday night, I will be suprised.....

keyser
09-05-2009, 05:36 PM
at this point, I could care less if he reports ..I wish we could trade his ass to the Raiders or someone ... I know he is an asset to the team but it has irritated me that he can skip all of training camp and then come in and decide he can play now and collect his check and there are guys that have been busting their tail from day one of training camp

I realize he is going to basically take a guy's spot that would be #53 on the depth chart but ...I am still irritated that we have new coaches and schemes and he can't come in and learn it before season starts

I feel the same way, but it's clear that our secondary needs help, and he should be a significant improvement, despite having missed all of the preseason. I was really hoping that we would have had one of our young guys really shine, to the point that we could just let DR go. I say that in part assuming we would end up getting a high compensatory pick for him.

If we were to take back the franchise offer at this point, I wonder how much Dunta would be able to get on the open market. It might be a real eye-opener for him, to the point that he'd take the offer the team originally made. Unfortunately, I think he really wants out of Houston at this point, though, so it's unlikely he'd ever return that way.

mattieuk
09-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Wow they really went out on a limb. LOL

Hey...he could've just showed up 4 hours before the start of the Jets game!

Maddict5
09-05-2009, 06:22 PM
I wonder if he'd escalate this to sitting out real games. It wouldn't surprise me one bit at this point. Dunta's accomplished nothing but to cut off his own nose to spite his face so far.

not really. dunta's done what every other holdout who dont get clauses inserted in their tags have done so far. im 99.99999% certain he'll report early next week.

hes nowhere near a marshall/crabtree which is cutting off your nose

False Start
09-05-2009, 06:23 PM
I could really care less right now. The guy has made it to my sh!t list. He seems to be all about the money, so I doubt he will miss any time that will cost him some dough.

If it doesn't work out he could get a job selling butt-scratchers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTkZLkFZbs) at Reliant Stadium. :cool:

awtysst
09-05-2009, 06:32 PM
I think the clock starts ticking on REAL $ on Tuesday. So, my guess he flies in on Tuesday morning and shows up on Tuesday afternoon.

Big Lou
09-05-2009, 06:39 PM
He needs to be the nickel corner for at least 2-3 weeks regardless of when he reports. Maybe week 4 he should start if he earns it.

edo783
09-05-2009, 06:41 PM
He needs to be the nickel corner for at least 2-3 weeks regardless of when he reports. Maybe week 4 he should start if he earns it.

So, we are paying 9.9 million bucks for a nickel back. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Vinny
09-05-2009, 06:42 PM
So, we are paying 9.9 million bucks for a nickel back. Sounds like a bargain to me.

:spit:

Norg
09-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Sep 13 gameday at 11:58 ish LOL he will just pull up to the stadium with full pads on with a beard LOL

Hervoyel
09-05-2009, 07:27 PM
not really. dunta's done what every other holdout who dont get clauses inserted in their tags have done so far. im 99.99999% certain he'll report early next week.

hes nowhere near a marshall/crabtree which is cutting off your nose

Of course he has. He's going to start the season playing like a guy who didn't go to training camp and this in a year when he's going to be tying to earn a giant contract from somebody. He's hurt himself badly in his quest to make monster shutdown corner money here or anywhere else. Nobody in their right mind would franchise him two years in a row and he's got to know that by now unless he's a butt dumb as I have come to believe he is.

But you're right, he hasn't hurt himself as much as Crabtree or Marshall. Those guys have done the professional equivalent of putting a gun to their heads and pulled the trigger.

Specnatz
09-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Of course he has. He's going to start the season playing like a guy who didn't go to training camp and this in a year when he's going to be tying to earn a giant contract from somebody. He's hurt himself badly in his quest to make monster shutdown corner money here or anywhere else. Nobody in their right mind would franchise him two years in a row and he's got to know that by now unless he's a butt dumb as I have come to believe he is.

But you're right, he hasn't hurt himself as much as Crabtree or Marshall. Those guys have done the professional equivalent of putting a gun to their heads and pulled the trigger.

TO still keeps getting contracts and so will Marshall because they have shown it on the field. Neither Dunta (Dumbda) or Crabtree (Dumber).

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2009, 07:50 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6604719.html

He's coming Sunday.

Pantherstang84
09-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Will he pass his physical? Hmmmm.:backsout:

Jackie Chiles
09-05-2009, 07:59 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6604719.html

He's coming Sunday.

Good news. I still see him starting week 1.

NitroGSXR
09-05-2009, 08:01 PM
YEAH! Welcome back, Dunta! The season now really is here! Yeah!

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Somehow, I'm not expecting the secondary he's joining to go from scarey to legitimate...........Maybe, heart-stopping to scarey. My impact needle is not moving all that much, and I will still wait for him to show that he has done anything more than make out like a bandit with the $10 million.

Vinny
09-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I figured he would show right before the paychecks start rolling out. I can't wait to see him light someone up next Sunday. Glad to see him here.

ATXtexanfan
09-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Lets see what the rook has against the jets wr's. Let dunta wait a week till he starts. Not like the jets have an AJ.

barrett
09-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Somehow, I'm not expecting the secondary he's joining to go from scarey to legitimate...........Maybe, heart-stopping to scarey. My impact needle is not moving all that much, and I will still wait for him to show that he has done anything more than make out like a bandit with the $10 million.

At the very least he can come in and tackle. Perhaps it will rub off on the other 8 guys on the field that seem to have forgotten how to tackle.

When did it become Ryans, DelJuan, and Mario as the only guys on the field who know how to tackle? (Diles is not consistent.)

Vinny
09-05-2009, 09:29 PM
At the very least he can come in and tackle. Perhaps it will rub off on the other 8 guys on the field that seem to have forgotten how to tackle.

When did it become Ryans, DelJuan, and Mario as the only guys on the field who know how to tackle? (Diles is not consistent.)With Dunta and Reeves back there we have a legit starting duo. No elite shutdown corner, but we have a hitter and good run stopper on the edge with a pure cover player on the other side. Robinson, Cushing, Williams and Ryans is a pretty nice core foundation for any defense. Outside of Cushing being what they think he is, we just need a little quality S and DT play and this team may have a defense in time for the playoffs.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Reeves, by far, was the better CB last year. As I watched Dunta last season, he screwed up his share of coverages and certainly had his share of grossly missed tackles. His "year of recovery" could let him slide for then, but will not be overlooked by any but blind fans nor readily forgiven, if his performance is repeated this year.,,,,,,,,,,and that is not a far out scenario.......hopefully, he surprises skeptics such as myself........then again..........

Runner
09-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Reeves, by far, was the better CB last year. As I watched Dunta last season, he screwed up his share of coverages and certainly had his share of grossly missed tackles. His "year of recovery" could let him slide for then, but will not be overlooked by any but blind fans nor readily forgiven, if his performance is repeated this year.,,,,,,,,,,and that is not a far out scenario.......hopefully, he surprises skeptics such as myself........then again..........

So what would a Dunta failure, foreseen by skeptics such as yourself, tell you about the vaunted Smithiak talent evaluation machine? They've apparently been throwing way too much money at this guy.

Wolf
09-05-2009, 10:18 PM
one thing about Dunta.. he did say he would be ready to play when the time came to be

MeLoveTexans
09-05-2009, 10:19 PM
i took a nap this afternoon, and had a dream dunta tore his ACL on the first play against the jets

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2009, 10:26 PM
So what would a Dunta failure, foreseen by skeptics such as yourself, tell you about the vaunted Smithiak talent evaluation machine? They've apparently been throwing way too much money at this guy.

"Forseen" is not exactly the word. More like "not unexpected" based on many historical factors. And, yes, I personally think that Smithiak has thrown a $10million dollar bet out there that I believe the Las Vegas bookies would shy away from. JMHO.

barrett
09-05-2009, 10:32 PM

My thoughts exactly. EXACTLY.

barrett
09-05-2009, 10:36 PM
"Forseen" is not exactly the word. More like "not unexpected" based on many historical factors. And, yes, I personally think that Smithiak has thrown a $10million dollar bet out there that I believe the Las Vegas bookies would shy away from. JMHO.

I think of it as a 10 million dollar lease. Evaluation, test drive, tire kicking, etc... And in our current salary situation, completely worth it.

I've always said that my main issue was the "reported" amount that they offered him that he "reportedly" turned down. I can't believe they "reportedly" offered him a multi-year contract with no real evidence that he's going to play well. A 1 year deal is ideal in this scenario if you ask me. (Which you didn't.)

Jackie Chiles
09-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Here is a good follow up interview with Dunta from Jerome Solomon, maybe it will get a couple of you to soften up on him just a little bit, maybe not but I like what I hear from him:

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/09/dunta_robinson_qa_on_physical.html

Runner
09-06-2009, 12:01 AM

Ok. I'm glad you see past the evil Dunta.

I am of similar thoughts about Schaub. I think it will be "not unexpected" if Schaub gets hurt for 4+ games this year. I don't think the Texans are adequately prepared for that.