PDA

View Full Version : Naked Returns

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2009, 06:47 AM
There has been virtually ZERO success in our punt or kick return game.
I know there are new return blocking rules in place this year banning the classic "wedge" formation. But, the Texans look like they have no PLANNED substitute scheme. Our returners have been essentially left out there to call "fair catch" or fend for themselves........looking more like Kabob meat waiting to be skewered. This seems to be giving new meaning to "suicide squad," with our returners playing the primary role of sacrificial lambs.

I can hear the "It's preseason, we don't want to show our hand." That would make very little sense in that it would have place our returners at significant risk throughout the preseason, and it would not have allowed "in game" practice to a new approach. Something sort of hits me the wrong way about this whole thing.

Let the returners have their nakedness covered..............after all, kids are watching. These games are rated PG, aren't they?

Maddict5
09-05-2009, 06:53 AM
There has been virtually ZERO success in our punt or kick return game.
I know there are new return blocking rules in place this year banning the classic "wedge" formation. But, the Texans look like they have no PLANNED substitute scheme.

thats what i dont get. the kr's have been average & thats where most of the wedges are. the pr's are more man to man & where we've been pretty bad

blitz90
09-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Its b/c Jacoby DOES NOT, CANNOT, WILL NOT GET VERTICLE!

I was over-joyed last night just to see Jenkins have about an 8 yrd return simply for the fact that he got verticle fast and plowed a defender or 2.
Jacoby looked good in the passing game w/the Sex Canon behind the helm but the dancin around on punt returns has to stop.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2009, 08:20 AM

I was over-joyed last night just to see Jenkins have about an 8 yrd return simply for the fact that he got verticle fast and plowed a defender or 2.
Jacoby looked good in the passing game w/the Sex Canon behind the helm but the dancin around on punt returns has to stop.

Jacoby hasn't had enough time to dance.

eriadoc
09-05-2009, 08:47 AM
There has been one KR for a TD this preseason, a 39-yd fluke. There are two KRs that are actually doing pretty well statistically, so I wonder what they have going on. My initial thoughts are that the rules killed kick returns, at least until some innovator designs some return scheme to nullify the rule changes.

buddyboy
09-05-2009, 09:47 AM

In what I've seen, it's not the returner's fault. He simply has zero time. By the time the ball is coming down, there are defenders painting a bullseye on him and trying to decide which guy is going to get to plaster him first. In my mind's eye, I've been seeing 70-80% of the punt returns as fair catches.

nero THE zero
09-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Our special teams in general were poor last season and aren't looking particularly promising this year either.

It's disappointing considering it used to be one of our strengths.

DexmanC
09-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Our special teams in general were poor last season and aren't looking particularly promising this year either.

It's disappointing considering it used to be one of our strengths.

Ya'll need to calm down. Joe Marciano is one of the BEST special teams
coaches in the league, and he's gonna have MONSTERS covering and
blocking returns this season. Check out some of the names: Molden, Leach,
Casey, Barwin, Busing, K-Dub, etc...

Joe does NOT scheme for returns in PREASEASON!! Doing so would be flat
out DUMB. I heard coach Marciano on 610 say that "If a special teams
coach wanted to embarrass another special teams coach in preseason,
all he had to do is scheme exotic coverages they aren't ready for. They
could try to do it to us, but WE'LL be ready. They just wouldn't be ready
for us."

When have the Texans EVER had a bad special teams? The answer to
that is "Not Yet." In fact, you can argue it's been the ONLY unit on
our squad that has been consistently one of the best in the league.
That unit has the same coach since its inception. Our weakness
ain't special teams, it's still the defense.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Ya'll need to calm down. Joe Marciano is one of the BEST special teams
coaches in the league, and he's gonna have MONSTERS covering and
blocking returns this season. Check out some of the names: Molden, Leach,
Casey, Barwin, Busing, K-Dub, etc...

Joe does NOT scheme for returns in PREASEASON!! Doing so would be flat
out DUMB. I heard coach Marciano on 610 say that "If a special teams
coach wanted to embarrass another special teams coach in preseason,
all he had to do is scheme exotic coverages they aren't ready for. They
could try to do it to us, but WE'LL be ready. They just wouldn't be ready
for us."

When have the Texans EVER had a bad special teams? The answer to
that is "Not Yet." In fact, you can argue it's been the ONLY unit on
our squad that has been consistently one of the best in the league.
That unit has the same coach since its inception. Our weakness
ain't special teams, it's still the defense.

Our STs, specifically last year, looked at best mediocre. It certainly did not look like what people would consider the Marciano elite squad. And, BTW, they foretold their performance for the 2008 regular season in the preseason.
That's why, personally, I must regain somewhat guarded by Marciano's recent statements of essentially "This is only preseason."

76Texan
09-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Marciano's unit needs to step up!

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Marciano's unit needs to step up!

That's for sure. Last year BTW.............Mediocre at best. CLICK HERE (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst)