PDA

View Full Version : How did James Casey do at FB?

Malloy
09-05-2009, 05:01 AM
Didn't have a chance to watch the game so I was wondering how Casey did on FB service?

blitz90
09-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I didn't lock in on him but from what I saw he put some people on their arse and helped Hall and Foster extend some runs. I also saw a couple of plays where he went the opposite way but maybe the play was designed like that. It just looked odd.
Didn't notice him missing any assignments though so overall looked like he held his own to me.

blitz90
09-05-2009, 08:34 AM
One other thing i'd like to add about Casey. He didn't do anything jaw dropping last night but overall the guy just looks like he belongs in the pros already. He seems to stay calm and just play football, unlike a lot of rookies.

MojoMan
09-05-2009, 09:29 AM
He was lined up at TE when he caught the touchdown pass.

bah007
09-05-2009, 09:53 AM
I didn't lock in on him but from what I saw he put some people on their arse and helped Hall and Foster extend some runs. I also saw a couple of plays where he went the opposite way but maybe the play was designed like that. It just looked odd.
Didn't notice him missing any assignments though so overall looked like he held his own to me.

Most likely those were designed misdirection plays where the intent was to get the LB's to follow Casey one way and have the RB go the opposite direction. That'a something Kubiak likes to use every once in a while to see if he can catch the LB's napping.

TexansMVP
09-05-2009, 11:35 AM
He did have one false start, but immediately after on the next play, he caught a TD pass. I guess he made up for it.

painekiller
09-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Most likely those were designed misdirection plays where the intent was to get the LB's to follow Casey one way and have the RB go the opposite direction. That'a something Kubiak likes to use every once in a while to see if he can catch the LB's napping.

The LBs read the blockers not the ball carrier. Usually it's the ball carrier that will misdirect with his 1st step or two, so the blocker is usually the better key.

m5kwatts
09-05-2009, 01:26 PM
He did have one false start, but immediately after on the next play, he caught a TD pass. I guess he made up for it.

I was laughing to myself when he had that penalty called and he sorta gawked and stared down the ref and was about to say something, someone's gotta remind him this aint baseball where they allow time for you to complain to umpires

76Texan
09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
From what I can see.

As a lead blocker, he made 3 good blocks, 3 OK blocks, a couple of meh blocks, and one not-so-good block.

He also made a couple of good seal-off blocks on the back side.

Overall, he did much better than I expected playing FB for the first time in the league. Granted, he didn't go agaisnt starters.

m5kwatts
09-05-2009, 03:57 PM
From what I can see.

As a lead blocker, he made 3 good blocks, 3 OK blocks, a couple of meh blocks, and one not-so-good block.

Overall, he did much better than I expected playing FB for the first time in the league. Granted, he didn't go agaisnt starters.

I like how he's not afraid to stick his nose in there too....before the draft an NFL scout criticized him saying his next block will be his first... not too bad for his first few blocks

Malloy
09-05-2009, 04:07 PM
From what I can see.

Thanks mate, much appreciated!

76Texan
09-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Kubiak:

"I was very impressed with (TE James) Casey in the game. He played all over the place. He is really surprising us as a fullback right now; been very physical and been a pleasant surprise from that standpoint."

MojoMan
09-06-2009, 03:49 PM
What would be cool is if there was an occasion where the Texans lined up with both fullbacks, Leach and Casey, in the backfield at the same time. Maybe Casey goes in motion and Leach stays behind to pick up blitzers or something.

76Texan
09-06-2009, 03:52 PM
What would be cool is if there was an occasion where the Texans lined up with both fullbacks, Leach and Casey, in the backfield at the same time. Maybe Casey goes in motion and Leach stays behind to pick up blitzers or something.

When I'm not lazy, I'll see if they have anything like that in the old Broncos playbook I have.

TexansSeminole
09-06-2009, 04:04 PM

I can see that. Anytime you can get a guy who excels at multiple positions it is a good idea to put them in motion from time to time to keep the defense guessing.

gary
09-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Casey played solid but not outstanding or anything.

76Texan
09-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I can't find anything in the two Broncos playbooks that I have.

But I don't see why we can incorporate some of the triple-option plays (Navy, Air Force, Rice, Georgia Tech) into our scheme.
It definitely will boost the red zone offense both in the running and passing game.

Kubiak needs to call up his old friend Kenny Hatfield and have him in here as a consultant!

When I have some time, I will elaborate on some of the plays I think make sense for us.
Got to go get ready for a party now. Time to get unsober! :specnatz:

MojoMan
09-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Casey played solid but not outstanding or anything.

How do you think he did considering this was his first time ever playing at the fullback position?

Koolaid Time
09-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Kubiak needs to call up his old friend Kenny Hatfield and have him in here as a consultant!

:gun: Please... NO!

gary
09-06-2009, 08:58 PM
How do you think he did considering this was his first time ever playing at the fullback position?We must remember he had a hard time getting on the field due to an injury. I know he'll improve in time but considering it was his first game ever at FB he did fine. I'd like to see some two FB sets with maybe Leach having to pick up the block I like that idea.

bah007
09-07-2009, 12:42 PM
The LBs read the blockers not the ball carrier. Usually it's the ball carrier that will misdirect with his 1st step or two, so the blocker is usually the better key.

You are talking about a counter play.

I am talking about a misdirection play where the FB is sent the opposite way of the play call to see if he can drag some LB's away from the ball. It's a common play in pro style offenses in college football and some NFL teams use it sparingly.