PDA

View Full Version : Back up QB

BigTimeTexanFan
09-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Gary, I forgive you for giving Orlovsky a multi year, multi million dollar contract. I don't even mind keeping him around to see if you can develop him because I do see some talent, but PLEASE make Grossman the back up QB.

I know Grossman is playing in the 4th preseason game, but don't you just have a better feeling with him manning the offense?

pbat488
09-04-2009, 09:09 PM
We're too fickle on this board..

Specnatz
09-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Gary, I forgive you for giving Orlovsky a multi year, multi million dollar contract. I don't even mind keeping him around to see if you can develop him because I do see some talent, but PLEASE make Grossman the back up QB.

I know Grossman is playing in the 4th preseason game, but don't you just have a better feeling with him manning the offense?

No you make him the 3rd string QB so as to not hurt DanO's confidence and if for some reason Schuab takes another cheap-shot and you need a starting QB you start Grossman if DanO does not improve.

BigTimeTexanFan
09-04-2009, 09:15 PM
You didn't see an improvement at the QB position when Grossman entered the game? A guy who has only played one series this pre season until tonight.

m5kwatts
09-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I like the QB depth more than previous years, whether Rex or Dan is the backup we've got some guys who can make plays, we've got options.

texanmojo
09-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Based on the way he played tonight...i would have Grossman 2nd.

76Texan
09-04-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't know!
When the receiver can get wide open so easily, the QB can look good!

Porky
09-04-2009, 09:28 PM
At this point, Grossman is better than Dan O. It's really not even close based on tonight. I realize the sample size is small, but Grossman was excellent tonight, as good as anything Schaub could have put up. Notice that all preseason with Dan in the game, the offense would bog down, or he would make a critical turnover. Rarely has the team scored with Dan in the game. With Rex in, the team scored and the offense ran much smoother. He has a better feel, better touch, more experience, has played in big games, et al. I feel like Rex can win games for this team if Matt goes down...I don't have that same confidence if Dan has to play a lot. Maybe down the road Dan has more upside, but we are talking right now.

If Rex is not the primary backup, it won't be based on performance and it will be political/financial.

76Texan
09-04-2009, 09:33 PM
At this point, Grossman is better than Dan O. It's really not even close based on tonight. I realize the sample size is small, but Grossman was excellent tonight, as good as anything Schaub could have put up. Notice that all preseason with Dan in the game, the offense would bog down, or he would make a critical turnover. Rarely has the team scored with Dan in the game. With Rex in, the team scored and the offense ran much smoother. He has a better feel, better touch, more experience, has played in big games, et al. I feel like Rex can win games for this team if Matt goes down...I don't have that same confidence if Dan has to play a lot. Maybe down the road Dan has more upside, but we are talking right now.

If Rex is not the primary backup, it won't be based on performance and it will be political/financial.
I don't care. We can start Rex in all the games.
If he looks good, stay with him.
On first sign of trouble, bring Schaub in! :chili:

brakos82
09-04-2009, 09:35 PM
GO groosman!

m5kwatts
09-04-2009, 09:36 PM
I don't know!
When the receiver can get wide open so easily, the QB can look good!

Yeah but after seeing Dan-O overthrow receivers deep specifically Andre in the 3rd quarter of the Monday night game, Grossman has proven he has better deep ball accuracy. Watch the play, Jacoby doesn't get behind the last line of defense until the ball is already halfway there. Grossman released it and trusted his receiver to be there and it was perfectly placed. It'll be a close one as Dan has had way more reps than Rex but I think Rex showed something that Dan-O hasn't yet.

Marcus
09-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I think Kubes went into this game not to decide who the backup QB will be. The decision he wants to make is whether to carry 2 or 3 quarterbacks going into the season.

You would think Grossman's oerformance tonight would make that decision easy, but you never know. They can only carry 53, and if Grossman gets cut, it wouldn't surprise me.

Specnatz
09-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah but after seeing Dan-O overthrow receivers deep specifically Andre in the 3rd quarter of the Monday night game, Grossman has proven he has better deep ball accuracy. Watch the play, Jacoby doesn't get behind the last line of defense until the ball is already halfway there. Grossman released it and trusted his receiver to be there and it was perfectly placed. It'll be a close one as Dan has had way more reps than Rex but I think Rex showed something that Dan-O hasn't yet.

DanO has the biggest arm in camp that is bound to happen from time to time. Hell I guess Brady should be benched because I have seen him overtrow Moss this preseason, he must suck.

There was a pass at 5:15 in the 4th where Grossman threw the ball at the feet of a defender are you going to mention that pass?

Porky
09-04-2009, 09:41 PM
I think Kubes went into this game not to decide who the backup QB will be. The decision he wants to make is whether to carry 2 or 3 quarterbacks going into the season.

You would think Grossman's oerformance tonight would make that decision easy, but you never know. They can only carry 53, and if Grossman gets cut, it wouldn't surprise me.

That would be a TERRIBLE travesty of justice and it will come back to haunt this team when Matt is out 5 games with a hangnail.

Specnatz
09-04-2009, 09:42 PM
That would be a TERRIBLE travesty of justice and it will come back to haunt this team when Matt is out 5 games with a hangnail.

The way josh johnson has played compared to Freeman it is Freeman should be cut and not him right?

m5kwatts
09-04-2009, 09:48 PM
DanO has the biggest arm in camp that is bound to happen from time to time. Hell I guess Brady should be benched because I have seen him overtrow Moss this preseason, he must suck.

There was a pass at 5:15 in the 4th where Grossman threw the ball at the feet of a defender are you going to mention that pass?

I think Grossman's arm is comparable to Orlovsky's... and I said his deep ball accuracy has proven to be better than Orlovsky, intermediate and short routes not so much.

76Texan
09-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I think Grossman's arm is comparable to Orlovsky's... and I said his deep ball accuracy has proven to be better than Orlovsky, intermediate and short routes not so much.

Or send Grossman out there toward the end of the half or whenever we need to go long!

Hervoyel
09-04-2009, 09:58 PM
No you make him the 3rd string QB so as to not hurt DanO's confidence and if for some reason Schuab takes another cheap-shot and you need a starting QB you start Grossman if DanO does not improve.

Exactly. Dan's the project that you plan to keep. Rex is the project that you want for the short term to backup Dan. What he gets out of this is a year of working with Kubiak and Shanahan and maybe a chance to put some distance between himself and his play in Chicago.

If we can get something for him in trade then fine and if we only keep him a year as insurance in case the Orlovsky Project doesn't work out then that's fine too. That's what he's here for.

If Schaub goes down we're likely as not screwed anyway so you see if Orlovsky is ready to go and you tell Grossman to be ready to step in if need be. It's that simple really.

Porky
09-04-2009, 09:58 PM
The way josh johnson has played compared to Freeman it is Freeman should be cut and not him right?

Well has Johnson played in a Super Bowl? Was he a multi year starter in the NFL? If so, then yes. Look, if you can't see that Grossman is better than Dan then you have blinders on.

Porky
09-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Exactly. Dan's the project that you plan to keep. Rex is the project that you want for the short term to backup Dan. What he gets out of this is a year of working with Kubiak and Shanahan and maybe a chance to put some distance between himself and his play in Chicago.

If we can get something for him in trade then fine and if we only keep him a year as insurance in case the Orlovsky Project doesn't work out then that's fine too. That's what he's here for.

If Schaub goes down we're likely as not screwed anyway so you see if Orlovsky is ready to go and you tell Grossman to be ready to step in if need be. It's that simple really.

I disagree. I don't give a rats ass about the future or next year or Dan's pyche or projects. We don't need projects, we need to win. One game could spell the difference between the playoffs and going home another year. I want an experienced backup that has played in big games not a guy who couldn't lead his team to one win and couldn't put his team in the end zone in the preseason. Now is not the time to experiment, we need to put the best players out there now. Screw next year, the future is now and Grossman is simply better than Dan O and it's frankly not close.

Spike
09-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Other than a live arm, Dan O showed nothing this preseason. He makes bad decisions, is not terribly accurate and may have the worst touch of any QB I can remember in the NFL.

gg no re
09-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm cautiously gushing over Grossman's performance. I know that Grossman was pretty much 50/50 in Chicago; either he threw 50 yd TDs all day, or he ended the game with a 50 QB rating.

TexansFanatic
09-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I was happy when the Texans picked up Grossman and I'm incredibly happy now knowing we've got at least one quality backup on the roster if Matt goes down---again.

Hervoyel
09-04-2009, 10:34 PM
I disagree. I don't give a rats ass about the future or next year or Dan's pyche or projects. We don't need projects, we need to win. One game could spell the difference between the playoffs and going home another year. I want an experienced backup that has played in big games not a guy who couldn't lead his team to one win and couldn't put his team in the end zone in the preseason. Now is not the time to experiment, we need to put the best players out there now. Screw next year, the future is now and Grossman is simply better than Dan O and it's frankly not close.

Well you're out of luck my friend because the experiment is underway and the Texans didn't sign the guy (Orlovsky) for that kind of money to have him sitting on the bench behind minimum wage Rex Grossman. I'm sure that Kubiak thinks he can do amazing things with Orlovsky's game and the only thing he is pondering tonight is whether or not he can get away without an insurance policy on that.

I for one hope he decides he needs to keep 3 because Grossman will get a call at some point from somebody on the strength of this game when they're desperate for a QB following an injury. I am not impressed with Dan Orlovsky and haven't been from day one but he apparently has upside of some sort and Gary's going to tap it.

Rex should be 2 and become our next "Sage" who we eventually move for a pick once Kubiak has his career back on track. Orlovsky should be the one trying to hang on as the 3 but he's younger so the situation is reversed. It ain't write but it is the way it is.

edo783
09-04-2009, 10:40 PM
It doesn't matter who is in the 2 spot or the 3 spot.

Short term = Rex

Long term = Dan O

imatexan
09-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Have been saying it since we got him..anyone but Dan O!!!

He proved me correct this pre-season, which to him is the regular reason.

False Start
09-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Dan just hasn't really impressed me so far, maybe he will just take a bit longer to develop than Kubiak had hoped....or he just sucks. ;) I'm still waiting to see all these skills Kubiak has been raving about.

Then there's Rex, the guy looked OK tonight but it wasn't exactly up against elite talent. I don't know what to think right now.

I think Orlovsky will get the nod at backup QB though, I just hope it never has to come to the team having to call on one of the two. :texflag:

Wolf
09-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Boy I hope sage doesn't get cut :whip:

http://www.star-telegram.com/528/story/1589101.html
After watching Sage Rosenfels and John David Booty each throw interceptions that were returned for touchdowns in a 35-31 loss to the Cowboys, the typically flat-lined coach let loose.

"At times it was embarrassing," Childress said. "I'll end up putting that on myself, not having them ready to come out of the locker room at halftime. All the quarterbacks I've ever coached have some regard for the football and you can't throw it to them."

That's not what Rosenfels or Booty wanted to hear less than 24 hours before final cuts were due on Saturday. They were likely competing with Tarvaris Jackson for two roster spots behind Brett Favre.

Pantherstang84
09-05-2009, 08:04 AM
I don't care. We can start Rex in all the games.
If he looks good, stay with him.
On first sign of trouble, bring Schaub in! :chili:

My god! You people are trippin'. :laughjump:

nunusguy
09-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Spencer Tillman said it all last night in one brief observation. He said Rex was looking like a "# 1". Right, he didn't say Rex was looking like a descent NFL backup QB or a solid #2 on the DC, he said he was looking like a #1.
OK I know he's playing against TBs backups and reserves, but when he put that perfect rainbow up there for JJ to run under and take in for a score, I immediately thought of how may times Schaub missed AJ on that pass.
I dunno that much about what happened to Rex in Chi-town, but I know what I saw last night, the talent, the poise, the confidance.

maddogmrb
09-05-2009, 08:14 AM
You guys forget that in TexanLand players are often "appointed" to their positions regardless of performance or if there may be someone behind them better.

infantrycak
09-05-2009, 08:36 AM
You guys forget that in TexanLand players are often "appointed" to their positions regardless of performance or if there may be someone behind them better.

And some folks forget that in NFLLand players are sometimes appointed to their position and in NFLFanLand the accusation is made far more often than is accurate.

leebigeztx
09-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I think what Kubes has done is protected himself with depth. We can say what we want about rex, but the year they went to the bowl, he had the most games with over 100 qb rating. He also had the most games with under 50 also,lol. Rex also has never had the kind of weapons he will have here in houston with a guy that dictates coverages like Johnson, a te that can work the middle and a solid ground game. I like Dan, he's just inexperienced. Kubes said afer last year he was going to carry 3 qb's and i think thats what will happen. Push come to shove, someone might lose a qb early and might give up something for rex or dan.

infantrycak
09-05-2009, 09:47 AM
the year they went to the bowl, he had the most games with over 100 qb rating.

He tied Petyon Manning.

ArlingtonTexan
09-05-2009, 09:59 AM
The problem with Rex is that he has been inconsistent. The good Rex is better than Orlovsky, and is a legitimate NFL starter. The bad Rex recalls the worst of Mittens. I know everyone is excited about last night, but remember game he injured himself Rex's first few plays were not exactly steller. Last night, Grossman did what he was supposed to as an experienced NFL player going against 3rd/4th level talent.

Orlovsky has played well... like a back-up QB. Made some plays and some dumber ones. Looks to be largely dependant the surrounding cast, and is not any sort of difference maker. he will be more consistent than Grossman if we run him out for a few games and I mean both good and bad.

b0ng
09-05-2009, 10:19 AM
At least we're not bitching at each other over who the starting QB will be, that's a welcome change.

I think what Kubiak sees in PRACTICE (ie not just the 4th preseason game against a team that is quite possibly going to be a disaster this year) is going to determine who is #2. All this talk about travesty and injustice and political/financial (really? Really? Come on) is just useless hyperbole. If Schaub goes down next week, yeah I could see Grossman getting the nod because he looked good recently. If an injury happens later in the season, then who knows. Kubes will have a lot more information seeing as how he will have actually watched Grossman more during prqctice sessions. Remember, Grossman was a guy who, prio to last night, had thrown one deep ball into double coverage, fumbled one snap, and pulled a hammy that kept him out till last night.

Did you guys see tha bomb to JJ tho? That was money right there.

ChampionTexan
09-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Rex wasn't available for the veteran minimum for no reason. The fact that he took an offer from a team that made it clear to him he'd be competing for a spot to be on the roster indicates that no NFL team thought he was a solid #2, much less a #1.

One good game against a bad team's #2's and #3's doesn't change that (IMO). Maybe Rex has changed, but I'm not sure what would have caused the change, and as much as I believe in Kube's ability to coach QB's, it's not because he waved a magic wand, and "Poof" Wrecks Grossman/Bad Rex has become a top tier (or even adequate) NFL QB.

I think if you go back and look at Rex's time in Chicago, you'll find out that he had enough games along the lines of his game against Tampa Bay that you have to believe it's not simply an aberration. I also think that he had enough bad (and worse than bad) games to believe it's not particularly intelligent to believe that's something you should count on.

Chicago - a team that relies far less on it's QB than our does - decided Rex wasn't the guy to lead their team. It'd be great if that's changed, and it'd be almost as great if Rex is a bridge to getting Orlovsky out of the remedial QB 101 class, but I'm just don't think one good outing warrants some of the delusional ideas that have been put forth in this thread.

Oh yeah - if you have a concern about Schaub's health (and we all should), don't forget that the reason Rex only has one NFL season (out of 6) where he's played in more than 8 games is in no small part due to the fact that injuries have kept him off the field alot.

OzzO
09-05-2009, 03:13 PM
.... Notice that all preseason with Dan in the game, the offense would bog down, or he would make a critical turnover. Rarely has the team scored with Dan in the game. With Rex in, the team scored and the offense ran much smoother....

I agree with this part based off the TB game, but for some reason - I just felt Grossman either had the deep ball or handoff, very few short routes in his play. If he could put a little more touch on that deep ball and just wing it up at times, he could move up the charts.

ORLY - yeah, he seems to bog the offense a bit and does make some mental plays (perhaps shaking off the Lion curse?) but seems like he has a little more consistency to work with and variations of routes as well. He too - if that "touch" could be worked on - he'd be the good 2nd to come in and manage the game, work down the field mixing up the plays.

I didn't really notice either are the type to lock on their option 1, which is nice.

thunderkyss
09-05-2009, 04:39 PM

The problem with that is O would be taking all the second team snaps, and Grossman should be.

DanO looks great, but he's just not ready. Maybe he will be next year, and he can work on that from the #3 QB spot. Grossman IMHO is as good a back-up, if not better than Sage.

We've got him for the league minimum, the best thing for Rex would be to be in that second slot, ready to show the NFL that he can play in this league with talent at the WR position. He had some at Chicago, but nothing like what we've got.

If/when(who are we kidding?) Rex gets in their, and shows that he can compete.... it will suck having to lose him with no compensation. But I feel better relying on him to pick up Schuab's slack than DanO.

thunderkyss
09-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Rex wasn't available for the veteran minimum for no reason.

One good game against a bad team's #2's and #3's doesn't change that (IMO).

I also think that he had enough bad (and worse than bad) games to believe it's not particularly intelligent to believe that's something you should count on.

Chicago - a team that relies far less on it's QB than our does - decided Rex wasn't the guy to lead their team.

... don't forget that the reason Rex only has one NFL season (out of 6) where he's played in more than 8 games is in no small part due to the fact that injuries have kept him off the field alot.

Great post.... good points.

But we don't want Rex to be our Starter. We think he should be the #2 guy, & it's not like he has to be Peyton Manning. All he has to do is give AJ, KDub, & OD an opportunity to make plays.

Vinny
09-05-2009, 05:11 PM
We're too fickle on this board..

message boards aren't fickle - pssst, it's just software. There are hundreds/thousands of opinions here and we all don't think alike nor do we all post what we think at the same times.

Specnatz
09-05-2009, 05:19 PM
message boards aren't fickle - pssst, it's just software. There are hundreds/thousands of opinions here and we all don't think alike nor do we all post what we think at the same times.

Of course belittling someone on semantics works wonders. Why even comment on the statement?

Vinny
09-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Of course belittling someone on semantics works wonders. Why even comment on the statement?
Why? Because I see many people saying that message boards are fickle when in fact, most of the posters stay consistent with their opinions. Just a reminder that this place isn't some mass mind group of sheep-like people who all change their minds at the same time or even change their minds at all. Different people just post different wants and desires at different times.

Specnatz
09-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Why? Because I see many people saying that message boards are fickle when in fact, most of the posters stay consistent with their opinions. Just a reminder that this place isn't some mass mind group of sheep-like people who all change their minds at the same time or even change their minds at all. Different people just post different wants and desires at different times.

And their have been threads talking about how people view Dunta, DeMecco and Daniels due to contract situations so the observation might not be that far off.

Since you had to bring up that message boards are software thing it was not necessary.

ObsiWan
09-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Back to topic...
:)

While I like what I saw from Rex last night, I have to give him an "Incomplete". Had he done that against Minnesota's 1's or 2's I'd be ready to promote him. (a) because I would have two games worth of data and (b) Minnesota's D is far better than Tampa's is at this point. But all we have is 2-1/2 qtrs of "decent-to-pretty good" football to go on. Not enough.

OTOH, we have 5-6 qtrs of "just okay" to "not-so-hot" football from Dan.

The difference between the two seems to be decision making. Rex has taken enough real game snaps such that his has developed. Dan's has not. For example, last night, when his play wasn't there, Rex either threw the ball into the ground at the foot of his receiver or threw it out of bounds. Dan throws into coverage.

Maybe it's just my perception of Dan but he seems to only scan one side of the field. He did it in T/C. He did it in the Minn. game. He did it in the KC game. (I can't bring myself to watch the Saints game so maybe he did better.)

Maybe it's just me, but I think Dan lost ground while Rex made mucho attaboy points in last night's game.

I have a question:
Say Schaub goes down for 3-4 weeks (insert injury scenario of your choice here) so Rex starts for a month and we win ALL those games.
Does Schaub get his job back??

Knowing Kubiak, the answer's probably "yes". But what do y'all think?

beerlover
09-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Back to topic...
:)

While I like what I saw from Rex last night, I have to give him an "Incomplete". Had he done that against Minnesota's 1's or 2's I'd be ready to promote him. (a) because I would have two games worth of data and (b) Minnesota's D is far better than Tampa's is at this point. But all we have is 2-1/2 qtrs of "decent-to-pretty good" football to go on. Not enough.

OTOH, we have 5-6 qtrs of "just okay" to "not-so-hot" football from Dan.

The difference between the two seems to be decision making. Rex has taken enough real game snaps such that his has developed. Dan's has not. For example, last night, when his play wasn't there, Rex either threw the ball into the ground at the foot of his receiver or threw it out of bounds. Dan throws into coverage.

Maybe it's just my perception of Dan but he seems to only scan one side of the field. He did it in T/C. He did it in the Minn. game. He did it in the KC game. (I can't bring myself to watch the Saints game so maybe he did better.)

Maybe it's just me, but I think Dan lost ground while Rex made mucho attaboy points in last night's game.

I have a question:
Say Schaub goes down for 3-4 weeks (insert injury scenario of your choice here) so Rex starts for a month and we win ALL those games.

that would be a luxury. but yes when its go time you want the man. :cowboy1:

Also consider this- if its early & Grossman does shine how tempted would the Texans be to turn him over to a team for a 2nd or 3rd in next years draft? They still have Orlovsky & probably stash Brink on the PS. :ant:

thunderkyss
09-05-2009, 11:38 PM
I have a question:

I don't care if Casey or Owen Daniels is back there "playing" QB. if we're on a 4 week roll.... roll with it.

IF whoever he may be begins to struggle, make the change in the middle of that game, and go from there.

ObsiWan
09-06-2009, 06:43 AM
Did I mention that Rex actually made JJ (who some of us thought was in danger of being cut this year) look like he actually belonged in the NFL as a WR..??

One more point for Rex.

I still wish I had more looks at Rex with the 1's. And enough looks to see if he has a "Bad Rex" stretch, how long (a series? a qtr? a game? longer?) it would take him to shake it off and transform back into "Good Rex".

thunderkyss
09-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Did I mention that Rex actually made JJ (who some of us thought was in danger of being cut this year) look like he actually belonged in the NFL as a WR..??

One more point for Rex.

I still wish I had more looks at Rex with the 1's. And enough looks to see if he has a "Bad Rex" stretch, how long (a series? a qtr? a game? longer?) it would take him to shake it off and transform back into "Good Rex".

Very good point..... I don't know if it was Rex or a bad Tampa D.

For me, I need to know Rex can come in off the bench, and play. Good Rex, Bad Rex don't matter. IF he's not getting it done, we'll get Schuab back or put DanO in for the next game. But if he's on.... if we get good Rex....... then it's on.

Livid13
09-06-2009, 10:13 AM
You DO realize that you're talking about REX FREAKING GROSSMAN as a back-up ? COME ON GUYS ! He blows chunks !

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2009, 01:14 PM
All 3 of our QBs could very well be defined by the success of our OL to give them an extra split second of time.

ObsiWan
09-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Very good point..... I don't know if it was Rex or a bad Tampa D.

For me, I need to know Rex can come in off the bench, and play. Good Rex, Bad Rex don't matter. IF he's not getting it done, we'll get Schuab back or put DanO in for the next game. But if he's on.... if we get good Rex....... then it's on.

I'm thinking it was probably some of both. Obviously, it was "Good Rex" that showed up against a not-so-hot TB defense.

But then again, Dan-O played against that same not-so-hot TB defense and didn't produce any points and turned the ball over.
...again.

hradhak
09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm willing to put up with the occassional misfire. I don't think our D is good enough to have a QB who is going to turn it over. Right now, Dan O looks like he is going to make too many turnovers to be worth it as a 2nd stringer.

ChampionTexan
09-06-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm willing to put up with the occassional misfire. I don't think our D is good enough to have a QB who is going to turn it over. Right now, Dan O looks like he is going to make too many turnovers to be worth it as a 2nd stringer.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you believe Rex will turn it over less?

ObsiWan
09-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, what makes you believe Rex will turn it over less?

Well, he had a couple of "opportunities" to force a play where there was none in the TB game but instead he threw it out of bounds. On 3rd down, during the drive that could have produced our 4th TD, he threw it at the feet of his receiver, chosing not to blow the chance to at least get some points out of the drive.

Again, that's just ONE GAME. But I liked what I saw in his decision-making and the way he goes thru his progressions compared to Dan. I keep seeing Dan stare down his primary receiver...

and we had a QB like that once before...

thunderkyss
09-06-2009, 05:44 PM
when we talk about having a QB on the roster to develop, what exactly are we talking about?

I'm talking about having a guy with obvious talent, that sits and learns for at least a full season. No pressure on him to do anything at all, other than to see how good QB looks compared to bad QB play.

To me, that's DanO. He's got talent. He's got an arm. He's got the size. He just doesn't understand.

It's too late for Rex to fill that role. I'm sure he knows that. He's the one who needs to take the second string snaps, & be ready to play. He's got pressure to deal with, and he's got to be ready.

Two years from now, maybe DanO can be our Tony Romo, or Aaron Rodgers. For now, IMHO, Grossman should get the #2 snaps.

ObsiWan
09-06-2009, 06:37 PM
TC weighs in...
LINK (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/09/all_hail_rex_grossman_and_the.html)

For those who couldn't watch the game, it isn't just about the stats. It's about the quarterbacking. The QBs faced different competition (Orlovsky played deep into the second quarter Updated: A kind reader emailed me to say nope, he left after the first q. That is true--that's what I get for writing a game review after trying to feed a bunch of people during the game.), but Grossman showed much more touch on the ball He hit Jacoby Jones in stride for the deep ball TD, and found an open James Casey in the end zone for the second TD. Orlovsky, in this game, showed little touch, throwing fast balls to his receivers that bounced off of their hands. Rookie TE Anthony Hill likely did no favors by having a hard time holding onto the ball.
(For those unable to watch the game or who have interest, Alan "AJ" Burge did a quarter by quarter analysis of the game as it happened. You can find the first quarter post here (http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m9d4-Texans--Bucs-game-notes-1st-quarter)).

ChampionTexan
09-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Well, he had a couple of "opportunities" to force a play where there was none in the TB game but instead he threw it out of bounds. On 3rd down, during the drive that could have produced our 4th TD, he threw it at the feet of his receiver, chosing not to blow the chance to at least get some points out of the drive.

Again, that's just ONE GAME. But I liked what I saw in his decision-making and the way he goes thru his progressions compared to Dan. I keep seeing Dan stare down his primary receiver...

and we had a QB like that once before...

If it weren't so much a part of Grossman's history, I might be willing to take encouragement from one game. Don't forget this is the same guy who in 2006 threw 2 TD's with no interceptions and posted a 101.2 passer rating in leading the Bears past the Bills 40-7, and followed that up one week later with 4 INT's, 2 lost fumbles and a 10.2 passer rating in the "They were who we thought they were" game as the Bears beat the Cardinals thanks to turnovers and punt returns. Incidentally, his passer rating the 2 games following the Cardinals game were 137.4 and 36.8.

Even in the 2006 season, he only threw three more TD passes (23) than INT's. His career TD/INT mark is 33/35, so take out his best year, and it's 10/15.

I just don't think one good preseason game against a crappy team makes you think this guy has changed his career in year 7.

BorrowMe
09-06-2009, 07:00 PM
If it weren't so much a part of Grossman's history, I might be willing to take encouragement from one game. Don't forget this is the same guy who in 2006 threw 2 TD's with no interceptions and posted a 101.2 passer rating in leading the Bears past the Bills 40-7, and followed that up one week later with 4 INT's, 2 lost fumbles and a 10.2 passer rating in the "They were who we thought they were" game as the Bears beat the Cardinals thanks to turnovers and punt returns. Incidentally, his passer rating the 2 games following the Cardinals game were 137.4 and 36.8.

Even in the 2006 season, he only threw three more TD passes (23) than INT's. His career TD/INT mark is 33/35, so take out his best year, and it's 10/15.

I just don't think one good preseason game against a crappy team makes you think this guy has changed his career in year 7.

What I get about alot of people about Rex is that he sucked when they blitzed him.

ObsiWan
09-06-2009, 07:07 PM

We all know who we're talking about.
http://www.sott.net/image/image/792/medium/DR.JEKYLL_AND_MR.HYDE___31_.jpg

And I said myself, "it's just ONE GAME"; I really would like more data.

Hopefully, we won't need a whole season out of Grossman. Just 3 or 4 good quality games in his Mr. Hyde persona while "M.A.S.H. unit Matt" heals up.

spurstexanstros
09-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Hmmmm this preseason has proved me right concerning DanO. I just wasnt comfortable with him. In fact when I voiced my opinion on the subject it was like I was attacking St. Barwin. The defense of DanO consisted of...he wasnt the problem in Detroit.....he has the tools to be the next Tom Brady. They had such a huge man crush on the guy I was waiting for the start DanO threads. even mentioning one of the all time boneheadiest moves brought on a defense from the DanOs. There are still some remnants of the DanOs in this thread....but I am glad to see that some people are coming back to reality.

Again I ask the question...If Glass Schaub goes down are you really comfortable with DanO leading our team? If you still answer yes...you have more faith than I do...or your last name is Orlovsky.

Porky
09-07-2009, 09:50 AM
It seems to me some of you are dismissing Grossman's game because he was playing inferior competition, but let's not forget that in this game Dan O was playing mostly reserves, and in the prior games was going up against the 2s and 3s of the opposing defenses just like Grossman.

It's frankly not about the level of competition here. Was there a CB in the NFL that could have stopped that pass to JJ? Not likely unless he jammed him at the line and interrupted his route but once JJ had the edge Rex floated it perfectly to him.

Nope, it's not about the competion that we saw on the opposing team, it's about comparing apples to apples, Rex to Dan. I have no doubt that if Rex were to start here for a season we would see a lot of the good Rex, bad Rex. That's his history. But we aren't asking him to start 16. Hopefully, it's no more than 2-3 games. Asking for Matt to play 16 is just not going to happen. But, let's say Matt plays 13. Who do you want playing those other 3? Personally, to me it's a no brainer. I want Rex in there in those other 3 games. Dan O has some tools, but let him be the clipbopard carrier this year and absorb the training and watch his teammates and come back better next year. I'm not saying the guy doesn't have a future, but his future is not now.

Right now, Rex to me wins in most every major catagory I can think of - touch on passes, timing, accuracy, decision making, feeling the rush and general pocket awareness, leadership, experience, et al. Dan O might win on brute arm strength, but other than that to me Rex wins hands down. Granted, it's possible that in at least one of those 3 games he is going to stink up the joint, but that is still a better option than 3 at best mediocre games that I think Dan can deliver.

Nope, to me it's Rex in a landslide for VP of QB! :splits:

Specnatz
09-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Are you going to discounts the Int Rex threw in game 1 Porky?

TheRealJoker
09-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Nothing to discount. Rex threw one pass in game 1 that was incomplete and then he hurt his hamstring.

silvrhand
09-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't think many people saw Grossman play in Chicago.

The guy can play, but consistency has always been his problems, we are familiar with that here, his name was Sage. If Orv can get his head right he has the makings of a very big time QB. If not we send him down the road, both of them, we aren't betting the future on any of these guys yet, but we'll need to draft someone soon.

Porky
09-07-2009, 12:51 PM

What interception? Granted, he has a bad career ratio, but are you saying Dan doesn't? And Dan has shown that flaw in preseason in a major way. Grossman is at least as good as Sage to me, and may be better, and both are inconsistent. It's not like Rex has to live down running out of the endzone or losing the Colts game to a Rosencopter. All in all, Rex makes a fine backup QB, one of the better ones in the league imo.

Specnatz
09-07-2009, 01:10 PM
What interception? Granted, he has a bad career ratio, but are you saying Dan doesn't? And Dan has shown that flaw in preseason in a major way. Grossman is at least as good as Sage to me, and may be better, and both are inconsistent. It's not like Rex has to live down running out of the endzone or losing the Colts game to a Rosencopter. All in all, Rex makes a fine backup QB, one of the better ones in the league imo.

For some odd reason I thought he threw an Int on that really dumb pass he made in the Chiefs game.

Like I said in an earlier post I would list DanO as the back-up and try and build his confidence up and if something happened to Schuab I would promote Rex to starter. I think Rex does not need the reps as Dan does.

ObsiWan
09-07-2009, 01:11 PM
And it's not like anyone is proposing - or even thinking (I hope not anyway) - that Rex replace Matt as the starter. I just think it makes more sense to have the more experienced (and more motivated) guy be the backup.

Man, I sure would like to watch this week's practices to see how this turns out.

HoustonFrog
09-08-2009, 10:06 AM
From MMQB

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/09/06/mmqb/2.html

HOUSTON
Rex Grossman beat out Dan Orlovsky at backup quarterback (I am still blown away by the Al Davis-like contract -- three years, $9.15-million -- the Texans gave to Orlovsky), which is significant because Matt Schaub has missed five games due to injury in each of the last two years.

False Start
09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
From MMQB

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/09/06/mmqb/2.html

The comment about giving Orlovsky the Al Davis like contract is spot on. When I first saw they had signed him for that much I was thinking "WTF?" :headhurts:

BigWig
09-08-2009, 10:53 AM
The comment about giving Orlovsky the Al Davis like contract is spot on. When I first saw they had signed him for that much I was thinking "WTF?" :headhurts:

Ditto!

BigBull17
09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Hmmmm this preseason has proved me right concerning DanO. I just wasnt comfortable with him. In fact when I voiced my opinion on the subject it was like I was attacking St. Barwin. The defense of DanO consisted of...he wasnt the problem in Detroit.....he has the tools to be the next Tom Brady. They had such a huge man crush on the guy I was waiting for the start DanO threads. even mentioning one of the all time boneheadiest moves brought on a defense from the DanOs. There are still some remnants of the DanOs in this thread....but I am glad to see that some people are coming back to reality.

Again I ask the question...If Glass Schaub goes down are you really comfortable with DanO leading our team? If you still answer yes...you have more faith than I do...or your last name is Orlovsky.

I think Dan will be fine NEXT YEAR. He needs a year to practice and learn the system. I keep Dan 3rd, Rex 2nd. Next year,who knows.