PDA

View Full Version : Part 1: Kubiak talks offense with Vandermeer

Wolf
09-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Marc Vandermeer, the radio voice of the Houston Texans, sat down with head coach Gary Kubiak recently to ask him questions about the team's offense heading into the start of the 2009 season.

Vandermeer: Welcome to Texans TV. Marc Vandermeer with Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak. Coach, as you get ready to embark on the regular season, let's talk about different aspects of the team, starting with the running game. You want to see more progress in that department.

Kubiak: Obviously, throughout the preseason, Marc, we have not run the ball as well as we did last year. We played a very good team Monday night in Minnesota, who was second against the rush. Still, our team goes offensively by how we run the ball. We'd like to come out of the preseason better, but it is what it is and it's time to move on. But we're going to stay committed to it and we've got to find a way to do it better.

Vandermeer: Now we have seen Chris Brown make some pretty good power runs in the Kansas City game and the Minnesota game.

Kubiak: Our goal is to use him basically as a short-yardage runner, a red zone runner and Steve's (Slaton) backup, so we have to plan to go about our business and hopefully we can keep him healthy. But he's shown flashes this preseason that he's still got it in him. That's important to our team.

Vandermeer: Offensive line, you have to like your depth though, because Rashad Butler looks good as a swing tackle, and both Kasey Studdard and Chris White have played well for you.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5527

V3rm0nt3r
09-03-2009, 08:11 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5527

sounds like Brown's won the backup job from Moats.

HoustonFrog
09-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't like Browns hit on Slatons fantasy value with that goalline stuff...:headhurts:

dc_txtech
09-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I don't like Browns hit on Slatons fantasy value with that goalline stuff...:headhurts:

Are you counting on Brown staying healthy?

HoustonFrog
09-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Are you counting on Brown staying healthy?

No, but why jinx him.

dc_txtech
09-03-2009, 09:51 PM
No, but why jinx him.

Personally I have already come to terms with the fact that he's not going to stay healthy. If he does then it will just be a bonus. I really don't know how he's stayed on the team this long.

Specnatz
09-03-2009, 11:05 PM

The hell with fantasy value, when we are talking red zone effectiveness of the Houston Texans!!

ObsiWan
09-03-2009, 11:41 PM
The hell with fantasy value, when we are talking red zone effectiveness of the Houston Texans!!

Thank you.

DiehardChris
09-03-2009, 11:57 PM
I know it's a killer for our roster spots, but Kubes better thing LONG and hard about keeping Foster and a total of four RBs, because of Brown's injury history. I mean, the guy looks great, but you guys know as well as I do that it's a matter of "when" not "if".

...and the fact that it took a two-year deal to sign Foster I think means he won't clear waivers to get to the practice squad. I think we'll lose him if we try to put him there, because there was some stiff competition for his services.

dalemurphy
09-04-2009, 12:46 AM
I know it's a killer for our roster spots, but Kubes better thing LONG and hard about keeping Foster and a total of four RBs, because of Brown's injury history. I mean, the guy looks great, but you guys know as well as I do that it's a matter of "when" not "if".

...and the fact that it took a two-year deal to sign Foster I think means he won't clear waivers to get to the practice squad. I think we'll lose him if we try to put him there, because there was some stiff competition for his services.

Chris, there was competition to get him when the rosters were at 80. If he gets claimed from our practice squad he will have to be part of the active 45 for the first few games if that new team wants to retain him. Given his lack of preseason film, I think that is highly unlikely.

Insideop
09-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Chris, there was competition to get him when the rosters were at 80. If he gets claimed from our practice squad he will have to be part of the active 45 for the first few games if that new team wants to retain him. Given his lack of preseason film, I think that is highly unlikely.

Baring an injury to Brown in tonight's last preseason game, I have to agree with your assessment dm. I know there is a risk putting Foster on the PS but I don't think they will carry 4 RB's on the active roster. It's a chance they will probably take.

On another note, it sounds like they will keep JJ.

HoustonFrog
09-04-2009, 08:16 AM

It was intended as a tongue and cheek kind of remark.:barman:

On a serious note, I didn't think Slaton was that bad taking it in around the red zone last year. As a team they weren't great but I thought he did his part. He did have the second most attempts though at 30 in the RZ. I think their problem was finding a guy like Daniels. But saving Slaton some wear and tear isn't bad. I just wouldn't plug in Brown all the time or depend on him.

GP
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Foster won't clear waivers.

And Kubiak would be a crack head to drop him.

Slaton, Moats, Brown, and Foster as Brown's replacement once Chris Brown gets smacked hard enough to send him back to the bench.

Carrying four RBs is the right thing to do. We traditionally only carry 2 QBs, so the fourth RB takes what would have been a 3rd QB spot.

badboy
09-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Foster won't clear waivers.

And Kubiak would be a crack head to drop him.

Slaton, Moats, Brown, and Foster as Brown's replacement once Chris Brown gets smacked hard enough to send him back to the bench.

Carrying four RBs is the right thing to do. We traditionally only carry 2 QBs, so the fourth RB takes what would have been a 3rd QB spot.I agree but Kubes has voiced a desire to keep 3 QB again and would have last year. I don't think Brown should be Slaton's back up either. Moats has not played himself out of that spot for me. He should be used to keep both Slaton and Brown as healthy and fresh as possible. I think I'd rather cut one of the Dline & keep 4 RB or go with 4 WR rather than 5. We have seen little of Foster but I like what I have seen.

TimeKiller
09-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't think I've been watching late enough in the games to see Foster...I've been a bad fan...

Anyone want to give some pros/cons on Foster's appearances?

Carr Bombed
09-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I really don't know how he's stayed on the team this long.

He's only been on the team for a year.

badboy
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't think I've been watching late enough in the games to see Foster...I've been a bad fan...

Anyone want to give some pros/cons on Foster's appearances?I actually missed the play but he did get 9 one on play and Kubes seems to like him. link> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6598271.html

I like his size and willingness to get back on field quickly. he could be Brown's eventual replacement.

GP
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I agree but Kubes has voiced a desire to keep 3 QB again and would have last year. I don't think Brown should be Slaton's back up either. Moats has not played himself out of that spot for me. He should be used to keep both Slaton and Brown as healthy and fresh as possible. I think I'd rather cut one of the Dline & keep 4 RB or go with 4 WR rather than 5. We have seen little of Foster but I like what I have seen.

Kubiak approaches change at a glacial pace.

So I don't see him keeping 3 QBs this year. I think it's Matt and Dan. And that's it. If both go down, we'll sign someone off the street.

I don't think we'll keep four RBs, either. But we should.

Once the bubble-wrap starts unwinding off of Chris Brown, I think we all know what will happen. Foster is thick. He threw a good-looking, textbook block on a blitzer who was coming up the middle at Schaub.

There is the possibility that they view James Casey as a possible RB if we need one.

HOU-TEX
09-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Anyone want to give some pros/cons on Foster's appearances?

Up until the last game he hadn't done much of anything. In the Vikes game he had a carry or two that were decent. He picked up a blitz nicely that was more impressive than anything he's done.

In the end, he hasn't done enough to earn a roster spot. Tonight might tell a different story, but I would think Moats has a firm handle of that 3rd spot. The only reason Kubiak would carry another RB would be the lack of trust in Brown staying healthy. Unless Foster has a career game tonight, I'd take my chances on sending him to the PS.

dc_txtech
09-04-2009, 12:30 PM
He's only been on the team for a year.

I am aware of that and I stand by my statement.

badboy
09-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Up until the last game he hadn't done much of anything. In the Vikes game he had a carry or two that were decent. He picked up a blitz nicely that was more impressive than anything he's done.

In the end, he hasn't done enough to earn a roster spot. Tonight might tell a different story, but I would think Moats has a firm handle of that 3rd spot. The only reason Kubiak would carry another RB would be the lack of trust in Brown staying healthy. Unless Foster has a career game tonight, I'd take my chances on sending him to the PS.Other than Vikes game how many plays has he had? He was injured fairly soon. I agree that he is 4th back, but I want him on roster. It is hard for me to describe but he seems to have "it".

HOU-TEX
09-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Other than Vikes game how many plays has he had? He was injured fairly soon. I agree that he is 4th back, but I want him on roster. It is hard for me to describe but he seems to have "it".

Who's roster spot are you going to give him? We're going to have an extra TE or two already taking up an additional spot, possibly a 3rd QB taking up another and a weak DT position that needs all the help it can get. I don't have a clue what Kubiak and co are going to do, but I think RB's can be found and inserted into the mix easier than other positions can. By george, if Dayne could do it, anybody can. Ha

badboy
09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Who's roster spot are you going to give him? We're going to have an extra TE or two already taking up an additional spot, possibly a 3rd QB taking up another and a weak DT position that needs all the help it can get. I don't have a clue what Kubiak and co are going to do, but I think RB's can be found and inserted into the mix easier than other positions can. By george, if Dayne could do it, anybody can. HaBefore allowing Foster to get cut I'd release a DT (we have 5 + Smith)or a WR (go with 4 as we have 3 TEs that can catch). You can pick up one of these positions if someone goes down just as easily as a RB. Depending on how Rex does tonight, that might be Foster's spot.

76Texan
09-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Other than Vikes game how many plays has he had? He was injured fairly soon. I agree that he is 4th back, but I want him on roster. It is hard for me to describe but he seems to have "it".

Foster looked fine in both the Saints and Vikings games... showing good hands to catch the passes in the flat. Blocking was fine. Everything was as expected.
Didn't have much running room though.

But really, if they decide to keep Brown and Moats, I would rather not play him much in this next game and stack him on the PS.

badboy
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Foster looked fine in both the Saints and Vikings games... showing good hands to catch the passes in the flat. Blocking was fine. Everything was as expected.
Didn't have much running room though.

But really, if they decide to keep Brown and Moats, I would rather not play him much in this next game and stack him on the PS.I just think someone will take him. My POV is Foster is a power back with some speed like Chris Brown. You can't find those every day. That is why Kubes had stood with Brown so long. I'd almost rather let Moats go to PS.

76Texan
09-04-2009, 03:31 PM
I just think someone will take him. My POV is Foster is a power back with some speed like Chris Brown. You can't find those every day. That is why Kubes had stood with Brown so long. I'd almost rather let Moats go to PS.

I don't think Moats has any eligibility left for PS.
I have no idea what I'll do if I'm the HC. Good thing I'm not one, LOL!

badboy
09-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't think Moats has any eligibility left for PS.
I have no idea what I'll do if I'm the HC. Good thing I'm not one, LOL!Me either but ain't it great that we have good players that might be cut? I know the running game has been an issue for years; stopping it and starting our own. Hate to cut a player in that significant position. Well, we will know more tomorrow.

76Texan
09-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Me either but ain't it great that we have good players that might be cut? I know the running game has been an issue for years; stopping it and starting our own. Hate to cut a player in that significant position. Well, we will know more tomorrow.

I think there will be a lot of biatching on the board the next few days, LOL!

badboy
09-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I think there will be a lot of biatching on the board the next few days, LOL!Not from me. All my guys make the final roster. (smile)